homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is it about hair cutting places? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is it about hair cutting places?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Here long hair is more expensive to cut than short. This annoys me very much.

Same here. The whole thing is a rip-off. As a woman you can expect to pay anything they fancy charging you. The cheapest price in one of the places I've now stopped going to for obvious reasons is £56 for a cut and blow dry.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Man on a bicycle. I pay £16 for a cut (which is all I ever have).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had the same hairdresser for 25+ years, she does men, women and children's hair, including cutting my children's hair and now has cut my granddaughter's hair when she came to visit. The advantage is that she knows exactly how I like it done, so no awkward discussions, she just gets on with it.

She has charged the same price for years, so fairly recently I decided to give her extra because she is so reliable. That's a much better way around than being charged an exorbitant rate up front. Now she is getting older, she has gone part-time and mobile, which means she comes to my home to cut my hair. Same reliable service, but I don't have to go out in the wind and the rain. Win win all round.

What fascinates me is some of the clever names that hairdressers call themselves - mine is entirely descriptive, but other Creamtealand businesses have names like 'Herr Kutz' and 'Bent Straight and Twisted'.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is this thing called 'hair' of which you speak?

Ahem.

I used to go to an enterprising local lass, who only catered for men......she was gay, which might (?) explain why. A Number 0 head-shave with the clippers, eyebrow trimming, and burning-off of the fuzz around me lugholes, cost just £5, with some sparky and interesting conversation thrown in for free.

Alas, the bloody local Council, in their infinite wisdom, not only hiked up her business rates, but also at the same time killed off local trade in her street by closing the road as a through route (Chatham must be one of the few towns in the UK with signs saying 'No access to Town Centre via High Street'!).

So, off to Argos to buy a set of clippers. I miss the conversation and the ear-flaming, though.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SC, if you want to do a comprehensive survey, pop down the road a few miles; my home town is rapidly turning into 50% hairdressers/barber shops, it's ridiculous.

As to the difference, I think it's just a culture thing. Hair is very personal, and (generally) male cuts are different to female, particularly when it comes to fashion cuts. So I guess folk like to go somewhere that chimes with their personal image, and that is hopefully well-versed in the kind of cut they want.

Me, I've historically ranked getting my haircut one lower than going to the dentist, and as a child I was so scared of needles that I didn't have anesthetic, so that should give you a clue as to my opinion on haircuts [Smile]

When I was in the short hair phase I got a friend who was a hairdresser to sort me out some clippers, and DIY (well, until Mrs Snags screamed and took over).

After the annus horribilis 10 years ago, when I decided to say "Sod it, I'm having long hair again" I was briefly taken care of by said friend, then ended up where Mrs Snags goes. Predominantly a ladies' place, it was a revelation. Once I got over feeling like a dirty old man when some young woman washed my hair, I finally realised that a) it was pleasant and b) I'd finally found someone who could cope with me whole "My hair doesn't do style, it does short or long" approach, and produce something that was halfway passable.

Personally I hate the male-only places because I feel so utterly out of my comfort zone.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried, for a while, going to the place Mrs A goes to, when they introduced men's cuts. As an experience it was very pleasant: nice coffee while waiting, and having your hair washed for you by a young woman can be rather luxurious (like Snags, once I'd got over any slight dirty old man feeling, which didn't take long). But (i) it seemed to take forever- about 45 minutes (ii) I couldn't really get into the making-an-appointment-to-have-your-hair-cut mindset (iii) there are few places other than the barbers where I get a chance for aa bit of blokey chat- nothing off colour, just trivialities about rugby, old jokes, and so on. So i went back to my usual Greek chap, who I'd always felt slightly guilty about deserting.
BTW does anybody know why so many barbers, in England and Wales at least, seem to be of Greek/ Greek Cypriot extraction?

[ 02. March 2015, 16:08: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My other half does his own and our 14 year old's with clippers. I have not had my hair cut since my father's funeral 16 years ago (I can sit on my hair now). The only one of us to visit a hair dressers in the past decade was my 10 year old boy a few months ago who went from long hair to a trendy floppy fringe style at the village hairdressers (and my husband will do his next cut). It was amazingly cheap, less than a tenner, and took 40 minutes - he loved the pampering hair wash though!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss the old barbers shop. I have wiry curly hair so I usually try to find an Afro-Caribbean place for a haircut. The old place I used to frequent in Sheffield was straight out of Desmond's, an old Jamaican barber in a proper shopcoat, a game of dominoes if it was quiet and somewhere to sit and chew the fat for an afternoon once a month.

Since Charlie retired I have often had to visit "hair salons". They leave me looking like a badly clipped hedge and charge me an arm and a leg for a very unpleasant experience. It just isn't the same.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Buy some clippers, Bob, and DIY with a Number 0 or 1. No looking like a hedge, no hassle (and, admittedly, not much hair - but grass doesn't grow on a busy street!).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried clippers, I had a nice Wahl set which gave up the ghost after about three trims. I also have a lumpy head* which makes clipping the back a nightmare. On the whole it is worth getting an expert to do it.

*I am so glad phrenology didn't take off, I would probably be locked up in Broadmoor for the public safety.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is this "hair cut" of which you speak?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Regimental Sergeant-Major (to new soldier):

'Am I 'urtin' you, lad?'

Soldier:

'Nossir!'

RSM:

'I SHOULD BE! I AM STANDIN' ON YOUR 'AIR!'

I'll get me coat.....

Ian J.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always gone to the local barber - was there early this morning in fact. The present barber has run the shop for about 15 years or so. His father had bought the shop and business 25 or more years before that, and had run it until his early death from cancer. Greg was then too young to take it over and did not have his certificate. The family kept the business with employees until Greg was old enough to take over.

I get an appointment early on Saturdays. A couple of years ago, Greg was cutting the hair of a very young boy. The father said it was the boy's first haircut, and that he had had his first cut from Greg's father.

Men's cutting only, with one and only one exception - a substantial woman, a local identity who dresses from neck to ankles and wears a head scarf all year round.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday the hairdresser I've gone to for over 20 years told me she's retiring next month. I think I knew this was coming (she's over 70), and I haven't always been happy with her work recently, but she's become a good friend over the years.

How the heck do I find someone new? I've mentally gone through female acquaintances seeing if there's someone whose hair I like enough to ask for a recommendation, but I'm not coming up with much.

[Help]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ask her (the one you've gone to for so long). I expect she knows who her rivals are, and which are likely to be the best.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Ask her (the one you've gone to for so long). I expect she knows who her rivals are, and which are likely to be the best.

I've thought of that, but I think I want to start with someone totally new. (I "inherited" this one from my previous one, whom I inherited from the one before that.) I know the two hairdressers who work in the same salon, and I like them both, but I just don't think either one of them is for me. Again, I think I need to start with a fresh slate. But I will ask her for a recommendation (if the other two aren't around!) on my next (and final) appointment. The next hairdresser doesn't have to last for 20+ years. If I don't like him/her I'll move on.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Here long hair is more expensive to cut than short. This annoys me very much.

Same here. The whole thing is a rip-off. As a woman you can expect to pay anything they fancy charging you. The cheapest price in one of the places I've now stopped going to for obvious reasons is £56 for a cut and blow dry.
I have a trimmer and do my own hair. Put the next to shortest and run it over my head every week or so. But I pay a far higher price than you still:my Mum

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been doing my own hair since I was 16. I went through a stage of going to the hairdresser in my late 20s and 30s, but these days I can't be bothered to pay their prices and give up part of my Saturday morning for it. I'm perfectly capable of cutting and colouring (if I want) my own hair in a way that looks quite neat and natural. You get the knack after a while, like anything it's just practice.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016