homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » On the telly: What are you watching? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: On the telly: What are you watching?
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I'd started this thread before but perhaps it died on the vine, as it were. Anyway, I don't want to clutter up the film thread, so here it is again. [Smile]

Lately we've been watching Hulk: Agents of SMASH, an animated series about Hulk, She-Hulk, Red Hulk, A-Bomb (the former Rick Jones) and some version of Skaar. Plus Devil Dinosaur. It's fun.

Starting the new (i.e., the series that started in the mid-2000s) Doctor Who, after seeing only bits and pieces of it over the years.

Waaaay behind on Agents of SHIELD.

Almost done with Super Sentai Toqger. New episodes of Kamen Rider Drive are out!

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roselyn
Shipmate
# 17859

- Posted      Profile for Roselyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Day, both Taggart and George Gently started again! Joy and chortling abound.
Posts: 98 | From: gold coast gld australia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think BBC Canada ran about two episodes of George Gently then mysteriously stopped, which was rather sad, as Martin Shaw makes me go weak at the knees.

Apart from Top Gear*, which justifies the exorbitant cost of cable television all by itself, a current favourite chez Piglet is the Great British Baking Show, which is being shown on PBS and is quite compulsive. We're currently almost at the final of the series where the bloke from Northern Ireland stormed off after someone took his Baked Alaska out of the deep-freeze ... [Eek!]

* the British one, as James May also makes me go weak at the knees [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Apart from Top Gear*, which justifies the exorbitant cost of cable television all by itself ...

You cannot be serious .... I think it's ghastly!

But one (wo)man's meat is someone else's poison, I suppose ... (or vice-versa, if you see what I mean).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll say. I would pay money never to have that sneering rent-a-bigot Clarkson appear on TV again.

I see there are ever proliferating attempts to replicate the success of The Great British Bake Off. Besides The GB Sewing Bee, there's now one with competitive painting. Neither has quite the drama of collapsing sponges and melting alaskas though.

About the only programme I make an effort to catch is Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - which will tide me over until the next series of Have I Got News For You.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Top Gear" can be hilarious. I discovered it recently and enjoy it a lot. Their adventures have often been quite interesting. The Patagonia trip when they got attacked in Argentina and stuck in a few bogs, the bit where they had to round up 4000 cows in Australia just using three cars, driving along unlit Indian motorways at night, and of course the cars, make it worthwhile.

Apart from that I've been watching "Spiral" and although I've come late to it and missed some episodes, would say that's been one of the best things on television recently. I used to like "Inspector Montalbano" but have drifted away from that now.

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Currently binge-rewatching Breaking Bad. I blame Better Call Saul which I started watching but is only on once a week.

I said I'd never re-watch it because it's so depressing to see the inevitable decline - but somehow I got sucked in again.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have television, but I try to watch Doctor Who in streaming sometimes.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Only Connect" - the QI Elves are in the final!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love lots of the drama series out at the moment like Call the Midwife, Death in Paradise and Midsomer Murders. The current series of DiP finishes this week, I'm not sure if MM has finished or of there is another episode left.

I do like Top Gear too [Big Grin]

I'm so with you with Martin Shaw, Piglet.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watched "Downton Abbey" last night; and have started watching the "Bake-off", because it's on right before. Also watch "Grantchester", because it's on right after.

I watch a lot of other shows on my local PBS* station--mysteries, science, short films (really hooked on those), kids' shows, and occasional special events (MoTown concert at the White House, Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett together).

Let's see, what else...the various "NCIS" shows, "Person of Interest", "Castle", sometimes "Scandal", "Masterchef Junior" (really good--and the kids and the judges are much better behaved than on the grownup shows), "Scorpion".
"Bones"...plus various retro and lifestyle shows.

Have started watching "Grey's Anatomy" again, tentatively. Got tired of it, for a while. (And am getting sick of "Scandal". Too many twisted people who need to get a clue and get out of each other's lives.)

*Sort of the US version of the BBC.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I forgot "Sleepy Hollow'! Probably my current favorite. (And I'll never look at Ben Franklin the same way! ROTFL.) Chast, I suspect you'd like it.

"Grimm" and "Constantine" are also good.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do want to check out Flash, and while Cubby seemed to like it, I was less interested in Green Arrow. Er, in Arrow. (I'm such a comics geek, when I saw your post above, I saw the words "Ben" and "Grimm" and thought "Fantastic Four," LOL.)

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really enjoy Arrow. My Young Man has been buying me the box sets so I'm up to the end of season two now. Felicity is great, but I really, really like Diggle. I usually prefer side-kicks anyway, but Diggle is just brilliant, and always tells Oliver when he's out of line or making a big mistake (which is quite often - Oliver Queen being a superhero who is trying to work out what being a superhero is all about, which is fun to watch).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I'll say. I would pay money never to have that sneering rent-a-bigot Clarkson appear on TV again.

I was just thinking about this the other day because my husband has been watching all the seasons of Top Gear that are on our Netflix. Previously my only exposure to Jeremy Clarkson had been his appearances on QI and hearing people talk about how awful he was. And, heaven help me, now that he's on in my living room I actually find him, and the show in general, really really funny.

Nearly all the comedians I watch or listen to (and this is true of the Brits, the Americans and the Canadians) tend to share my own generally left-wing political and social views, so when I'm laughing at them, it's often because they echo my own views and frustrations, and find the same things ridiculous that I do. Jeremy Clarkson is literally the only performer I can think of whose perspective is generally more right-wing and whom I genuinely laugh at. I think that's probably an impressive tribute to him as a comedian, because it seems to me much harder to make someone laugh when they're not already on your side, as it were.

I do get how subjective humour is and I quite understand how some people either might not be able to get past Clarkson's politics and his persona, or might simply not find him funny -- but to me it's quite amazing that I can enjoy Top Gear as much as I do given the twin handicaps of disagreeing with Jeremy Clarkson about almost everything, and also, not caring at all about cars.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
... I actually find him, and the show in general, really really funny ...

I think that's quite a lot of the point. I don't find that it matters a jot whether I agree with an entertainer's politics as long as he/she makes me laugh (although Jeremy Clarkson is refreshing because he's not right-on and politically correct).

And although I'm no petrolhead (I have a British driving licence but don't drive over here), I can still appreciate the beauty of the more up-market cars, the cleverness/silliness of the japes they get up to and the banter that goes on among the presenters.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm catching up with my US drama; watching the final seasons of Angel and Deadwood on DVD, and Battlestar Galactica on Pick. None of them to my memory broadcast all the way to the end on non-SKY UK tv.

Nothing is so annoying as becoming invested in a series for the channel to stop carrying it, or to shunt it to the middle of the night so that you don't notice it's being played.

ION Cucumber and Catastrophe have been very good.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... I actually find him, and the show in general, really really funny ...

I think that's quite a lot of the point. I don't find that it matters a jot whether I agree with an entertainer's politics as long as he/she makes me laugh (although Jeremy Clarkson is refreshing because he's not right-on and politically correct).

And although I'm no petrolhead (I have a British driving licence but don't drive over here), I can still appreciate the beauty of the more up-market cars, the cleverness/silliness of the japes they get up to and the banter that goes on among the presenters.

My view of Clarkson is that he is a low-rent P J O'Rourke. O'Rourke however is genuine whereas Clarkson is a mere performer.

eta: despite all that, Top Gear is often very entertaining!

[ 27. February 2015, 15:13: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(although Jeremy Clarkson is refreshing because he's not right-on and politically correct).

It isn't that Clarkson is politically incorrect, it is that much of the TG humour is flat racist. Violent Glaswegians? Fine. Fat Americans? Whatever. Mexicans are serape-wearing, bean-eating fart machines who speak in an accent pulled from a 1950's movie character who was actually white? Not so much.
Slope and nigger? No.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, not at all sorry about that, but to help you bring it back to Heaven,
Thunderbirds are Go! Anyone else excited?!
I've seen the trailers and I think they are bang on with the mix of modern and retro. Cautiously optimistic about the puppets.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[tangent]
I must have led a very sheltered life. I didn't know that the word "slope" could be offensive until Mr. Clarkson got into trouble for using it; I thought he just meant that the bridge was sloping (which it was).

You learn something new every day ...
[/tangent]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[tangent]
I must have led a very sheltered life. I didn't know that the word "slope" could be offensive until Mr. Clarkson got into trouble for using it; I thought he just meant that the bridge was sloping (which it was).

You learn something new every day ...
[/tangent]

With you there Piglet. That had gone over my head as well. I've probably missed a few other references.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've hardly watched anything this week as I've been too busy with my study deadline but what I will need to catch up on is Wolf Hall, The Sewing Bee and most of the history category on BBC's iPlayer.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just watched the episode with the "slope" reference in it last night and not only did I not notice the line, I would never in a million years have known it was a racist slur. But, there you go, there's lots of things I don't know, and I can quite see how that's offensive if lots of people would recognize it as such.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better Call Saul, the prequel spinoff of Breaking Bad. Some of it is interesting only if you watched Breaking Bad, but I have a great faith that the lead actor is going to make it a very interesting show.

Gotham.

The Amazon "Man in the High Castle" pilot has been picked up for a series.

The Goldbergs

That other Jewish show Downmton Abbey. [Smile]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I just watched the episode with the "slope" reference in it last night and not only did I not notice the line, I would never in a million years have known it was a racist slur. But, there you go, there's lots of things I don't know, and I can quite see how that's offensive if lots of people would recognize it as such.

It isn't that some viewers occasionally miss the references, it is that Clarkson does not.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been watching the wonderful Wolf Hall, but missed the last episode because our church council was at the same time. I need to catch up on that.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen some stills of the new Thunderbirds, and I'm not convinced they're better. I mean, whatever has Virgil done to his hair? And none of them are wearing Thunderbirds hats.
I have tried watching some of the originals recently, and though I loved them as a child, I can't go back because of the sexism. One disaster is caused, for instance, by a woman's bad driving!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The stills of the characters look kind of meh. This is why I am cautious.
As far as the sexism, I initially saw them as repeats in a different era than they were made and so ignored that aspect. Even the progressive shows from back then were sexist.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any non-Canadians have access to XCompany. Agents dropping into France in 1942 to do missions? Seen 2 episodes. Gripping and well done.

We're also following Ascension (caution - spoilers if you scroll the link) which is about a multigenerational space ship going to Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to our's.

They're putting on The Great British Bake-off which we've caught a few episodes (don't tell me the end!). It is one of the sillier reality shows, oddly amusing. Our main focus seems to be which of the 2 hosts we think is goofier, and which judge we think week to week is meaner.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been watching "Wolf Hall" and will miss it on a Wednesday evening. I also watch "The Musketeers" as I love a bit of swash and buckle and Mr Nen and I are watching "Indian Summers" on a Sunday evening. We tried "A Casual Vacancy" on the other side one Sunday but it was unremittingly grim - the news at ten afterwards seemed light relief by comparison. I'm also really missing "Last Tango in Halifax" and hope there will be another series soon, and looking forward to the next series of "Downton Abbey."

Mr Nen and I watch "Top Gear" - otherwise known as "Snog, Marry, Avoid." [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiral was great although I found it hard to follow the plot twists, let alone the street French. Wolf Hall was mesmerising, especially Mark Rylance's facial expressions and silences, but I never concentrated hard enough to make sense of it (and my ignorance of history didn't help). Broadchurch (this series at least) was overrated and while Olivia Colman is always superb, David Tennant in shouty mode isn't my favourite (at other times I think he is brilliant). But the most gripping thing lately has been Cucumber; I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the last episode but it was gut-wrenching and brilliantly acted,
As for other genres, Only Connect is addictive and Victoria Coren-Mitchell stays (usually) just the right side of smug. I didn't watch Gogglebox for ages, fearing populist tripe, but it is funny and perceptive: I'd give most of the sofa critics a job on the TV column if I were a newspaper editor. The Siddiqui lads from Derby are quick, intelligent and witty; the two women friends from Brixton are hilarious - and what can I say about the Meldrew-like couple from Liverpool ?

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

We have now finished Toqger, and will now be starting Ninninger.

We are mostly caught up with Jon Stewart on the Daily Show, Larry Wilmore's Nightly Show, and have discovered Chris Hardwick's @Midnight (yes, that's its title, pronounced "At Midnight").

The Colbert Report is still deeply missed. [Tear]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Just watched the finale of "Downton Abbey", season/series 5. It.was.so.good!
[Yipee]

If you watch Downton and missed this episode, track it down and watch it. (And it's a long episode, so allow for time.)

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
... They're putting on The Great British Bake-off which ... is one of the sillier reality shows ...

I beg to differ - it seems infinitely less silly than, say Big Brother, and at least the contestants are nice to each other.

The first series finished last night on PBS and I thoroughly enjoyed it: the skill and creativity of the amateur bakers was astonishing, and for the most part I didn't think the judges were at all mean. Critical, perhaps, but that's the point - at that level, they're expecting good things.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone seems to be skirting around the BBC's latest adaptation of Poldark so come on, what do you think?

I like it so far: yes, I know there's been a lot of fuss about Aidan Turner, but the casting of Warren Clarke was inspired, and at least they've got the volume right, unlike Jamaica Inn.

And rather a graceful gesture to have Robin Ellis (Ross Poldark in the 1970s series) in a cameo role, too.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Everyone seems to be skirting around the BBC's latest adaptation of Poldark so come on, what do you think?

It's not a patch on the original. Unconvincing acting, over-hyped, sensationalist, with an unattractive nondescript in the main role. Robin Ellis had charisma. Aidan Turner doesn't. He's also much too light-hearted in the part. I gave up after the first episode of the new Poldark, sent off for the DVDs of the old series and found that decades later it's still good and plausible stuff.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking forward to it coming to America because I loved the first "Poldark," so much but I'll know not to set my hopes too high.

My PBS has just started new seasons of "Call the Midwives," and "Mr. Selfridge." Glad to see them back as I am PBS's slave on Sunday nights and always have been. Coming soon is "Wolf Hall," starring my boyfriend, Damien Lewis, which will conflict with the last season of "Mad Men." The rest of the week -- nothing.

Oh! I watched part two of the Ken Burns documentary on cancer last night and thought it was riveting, part three tonight.

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't anyone watch The Ark?

If not, then you didn't miss much. It was slow and the story didn't sit right. It was only after some digging that I found out it was the Islamic version of the story. Kenan was there but Kel was missing.

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
THe shows which I currently make sure my DVR catches and I watch when I get a TV slot are
Gotham
NCIS (the UK has juststarted series 11)
Scorpion

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

It's not a patch on the original. Unconvincing acting, over-hyped, sensationalist, with an unattractive nondescript in the main role. Robin Ellis had charisma. Aidan Turner doesn't. He's also much too light-hearted in the part. I gave up after the first episode of the new Poldark, sent off for the DVDs of the old series and found that decades later it's still good and plausible stuff.
Aidan Turner nondescript??! [Eek!] He is beauty personified! And yes, I remember the old series, and thought it a lovely touch to have Robin Ellis play a cameo role.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:

If not, then you didn't miss much. It was slow and the story didn't sit right. It was only after some digging that I found out it was the Islamic version of the story. Kenan was there but Kel was missing.

Yes, we saw it...I didn't realise it was an Islamic version, I just thought it really dull. And I couldn't believe it when they all held hands to say grace - which seemed excessively evangelical of them, not to say really unlikely!

I also saw a bit of the new Killing Jesus on National Geographic, but was too engrossed with seeing Rufus Sewell in a wig and TrueBlood's Bill Compton as Pilate to be bothered with the rest of the ep [Razz] though I might come back to it later.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

It's not a patch on the original. Unconvincing acting, over-hyped, sensationalist, with an unattractive nondescript in the main role. Robin Ellis had charisma. Aidan Turner doesn't. He's also much too light-hearted in the part. I gave up after the first episode of the new Poldark ...
It got better after the first episode.

I'm enjoying the mining and the dress the most.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:

I quite enjoyed it.

It owed at least as much to Genesis as to the Qu'ran and it portrayed, realistically, doubt and family tensions.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also now hooked on The Good Wife - especially love the fact that two of the leads (Alan Cumming and Matthew Goode) are Brits.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm also now hooked on The Good Wife - especially love the fact that two of the leads (Alan Cumming and Matthew Goode) are Brits.

Archie Panjabi who plays Kalinda is another Brit.
Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Watched the "Dove-Keepers" mini-series this week. It was about Masada.

Glad "Mr. Selfridge" is back.

BTW, last fall there was a 10-part series on Fox (broadcast): "Gracepoint". It's a suspense story that riveting until the very end.

New episodes of "Bones"! And "Grey's Anatomy" is getting interesting again. And "Scandal"... [Eek!]

--------------------

Coa Coa
Apprentice
# 15535

- Posted      Profile for Coa Coa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Person of Interest, Forever, Agents of Shield, and NCIS New Orleans, Flash is fun and we have rediscovered Farscape, husband loves Gotham especially Cobblepot. BlackList is great. Elementary. We stream everything but Farscape, which we watch via Netflix.
Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Meike
Shipmate
# 3006

- Posted      Profile for Meike   Email Meike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better Call Saul - welcome lawbreakers!
Fargo - I'll never see Bilbo Baggins the same way again.

--------------------
“A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posts: 250 | From: I like this place | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Any fans of either "Scorpions" or "Person of Interest" who missed this week's episode:

Track it down and watch it!!!

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
I'm enjoying the mining and the dress the most.

Which dress is that? The one with lacing up the back which Demelza managed to get into on her own but couldn't get out of without Ross's help? [Biased] I am watching it but have slightly tired of Ross and Demelza and am keen to see what happens to Verity who's the kind of girl everyone needs as a friend. The scenery is stunning of course and Aidan is easy on the eye. [Smile]

Mr Nen and I are watching "Indian Summers" which is ok although it's hard to find a character to really like. We saw "The Ark" and found it unremarkable.

I'm also enjoying "Secret Britain" about hidden parts of the countryside you might not know about. It also includes things you didn't know about the presenters. Last night one of them displayed a talent for throwing a pot and the other demonstrated her beautiful singing voice. Not at the same time.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016