homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » On the telly: What are you watching? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: On the telly: What are you watching?
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We started watching Poldark. From the first few seconds I said it would be typical women's drama. All slightly slowed down horse riding through the countryside ith wind in your hair.

If eye candy for the ladies is what rocks your boat then watch it. But there's nothing for me here.

What I am watching is Gotham, a bit of a curate's egg, but every episode has brilliant bits as well as being unnecessarily graphic at times.

Breaking Bad has started from episode one. Not being one who uses Netflix I am keen to see what the fuss was about.

House of Fools and University Challenge are finished for now, so I'll have to look for something else.

And there's Masterchef. The Torode/Wallace style was a breath of fresh air when it replaced the original Grossman programme (Rhodes does not count) but the present format is getting tired. Time for another makeover? It is still better than most food shows though.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a fly-on-the-wall programme about men in pubs.

Pubs I used to frequent were nothing like this one though.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched Back in Time for Dinner - firstly to marvel at the number of times Giles Coren has managed to recycle the programme idea. But it did bring out how shrewdly food manufacturers have learnt to counterfeit Real Food from the early days of processed goop (still processed but a lot less goopoid).

[ 17. April 2015, 23:12: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
balaam--

Do you have "Masterchef Junior" there? In the US, it's one of Gordon Ramsey's shows. It's really good. All the competitors are kids--ages 6-13, IIRC. (There was a little girl, Abbie, who was 8 and cooking since she was 2.) They are very, very good cooks--on a grownup, professional level (per the judges), and cooking dishes that are similar to the ones from "Masterchef" and "Hell's Kitchen".

Both the kids and judges (from "Masterchef") are much better behaved than on the grownup shows--and they have a lot more fun! Even pouring buckets of oil and other substances over the judges.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Grey's Anatomy", "Scandal"*, and "Elementary" were all good last night.

*Do heed the content warning.

ETA: More and more local broadcast stations are adding retro channels. (E.g., digital ch. 5 adding 5.2.)
[Yipee]

[ 08. May 2015, 09:22: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I'm also now hooked on The Good Wife - especially love the fact that two of the leads (Alan Cumming and Matthew Goode) are Brits.

Archie Panjabi who plays Kalinda is another Brit.
I have no idea why I was under the impression that Alan Cumming was Canadian since now that I look him I can clearly see he's not the least bit Canadian. Oh well. I would have liked it if we could have claimed him. He's great on The Good Wife. I love that show and have just finished Season 5, which is all they have on Netflix. Looking forward to eventually catching up with Season 6.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been glued to the General Election coverage, so am feeling very tired.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. [Snore]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was watching "slow TV" earlier this week, and loved it.

(This is a programme presented as it is, with no music and no commentary. You just watch what goes on. It can be quite relaxing and refreshing. I found I watched three programmes one after the other without feeling tired.)

I've seen the Dawn Chorus (in a variety of different settings); a glassblower making a glass jug, gradually transforming a small dark cylinder of raw glass into a beautiful large clear glass jug with a handle; and a blacksmith making a kitchen knife, starting with six strips of sheet metal then combined, furnaced, beaten, shaped and worked into a real, polished kitchen knife with a wooden handle.

The photography was artistic and it was lovely to watch skilled craftsmen at work and see the finished articles take shape.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got to be more interesting than that series on the industrial manufacture of various foods (bread, choccie biccies etc). Endless aerial pans over industrial plant and Greg Wallace in a white coat and hair net.

ETA: and a statutory10 minutes of Ruth Gooding explaining how it was done in The Olden Days.

[ 08. May 2015, 18:49: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't bear Greg Wallace so wouldn't have watched that. It is quite nice just to be able to draw your own conclusions instead of having an annoying commentator spoonfeeding you and repeating himself at intervals while showing you recaps of the same pictures for at least the third time.

The Slow TV of the canal barge gliding steadily along the Kennet & Avon canal was a bit boring, though. I'm holding out for the Norwegian fire crackling.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The glassblowing show sounds really cool. Perfect for the overstimulated.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
What I am watching is Gotham, a bit of a curate's egg, but every episode has brilliant bits as well as being unnecessarily graphic at times.

Fun mindless entertainment. Also an object example of why if you have a character who is the protagonist's love interest they should have a personality and role in the show beyond protagonist's love interest. Were we ever even told what Barbara's job is, or where she gets her money from, or what she does all day?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone watch the first episode of "Home Fires"? (Or "Call the WI" as it's been nicknamed here - although that's a bit unfair as I think CTM was a better show) It was vaguely engaging, and we'll probably watch the next episode to see if it develops any more, but we're not sure yet.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

Fun mindless entertainment. Also an object example of why if you have a character who is the protagonist's love interest they should have a personality and role in the show beyond protagonist's love interest. Were we ever even told what Barbara's job is, or where she gets her money from, or what she does all day?
Is that necessary in fun mindless entertainment? No.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is that necessary in fun mindless entertainment? No.

If you're going to actually root for the love interest as part of a couple, then yes it is necessary that she have a personality and something to do.
A love interest who is only a love interest is boring. And boring is the one unforgivable flaw in fun mindless entertainment. Being boring and endorsing the world according to the Daily Mail and the two unforgivable flaws. The two unforgivable flaws in fun mindless entertainment are...

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wolf Hall has just finished airing on PBS over here, and I must say I enjoyed it infinitely more than the book (that wouldn't have been hard), although Mark Rylance's long, hard stares sideways to the camera got a bit wearing after a while.

We're apparently getting the re-invented Poldark in June ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too am enjoying Wolf Hall. It's subtle, a word not often used about television.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally finished The Musketeers - we recorded about 5 eps as we were out a lot, and discovered last night that we were missing the final ep! Fortunately some naughty person had put it on YouTube.

I'm going to miss my lovely boys. I do like a little swashbuckle now and then.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're now watching Monsters and Mysteries in America; Steven Universe, Adventure Time; the latest Sentai series (Ninninger); and Kamen Rider Drive.

Alas, Daily Show and Nightly Show are off this week, but we usually watch them.

I miss Colbert. [Frown]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My shows of the week are sucking rocks. Drag Race Sucks. Nurse Jackie is turning into warm watery diarrhea. I'm going to bed with a book.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather a lot of baseball and shows about fixing up old cars like Wheeler Dealers, etc. We also watch Jeopardy nightly!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

I've rarely watched "Gotham"--too dark for me. I'm more for the Adam West series I loved as a kid, and some of the theatrical movies.

But if we're talking Barbara Gordon, then presumably either the library work from the old TV series--or what she got up to in "Birds of Prey", a wonderful but short-lived show. (With lots of woman power! [Cool] )

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Just watched a movie on TV: "The Pope Must Diet". It's about a priest who accidentally becomes pope, in a situation of great corruption. It's a comedy and something of a spoof, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I wonder if Pope Francis has seen it? I suspect he'd like it. [Smile]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Has anyone seen "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell"? I missed the first episode last week, but it sounded interesting.
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I caught an episode of "1864" on BBC4 last night. It was quite interesting but I suspect the historical resonances are rather Denmark-specific...
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Has anyone seen "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell"? I missed the first episode last week, but it sounded interesting.

I saw it and enjoyed it. I had just started reading the book. Which is long and I'm still only 50% through. I'd hoped to get finished before episode 2 but I think I'm still far enough ahead to safely watch.

It's set in the early 1800s and the book is written in the style of someone like Jane Austen, down to old-fashioned spellings. I mention that partly because the other thing I re-watched Friday and yesterday was the whole of the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice.

Also I watched the whole series of Car Share on iPlayer - which was only 6x30mins. It'd not be to everyone's tastes and there were times when it was leaning too much on Peter Kaye's usual tropes (oddly specific mundane details), and the story line was pretty predictable. However I liked the relationship between the main characters which could have felt forced but didn't, and I liked that they didn't wrap it all up too neatly.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must watch Jonathon Strange, I read the book a few years ago and loved it, despite not being a novel reader. Her other book 'The Ladies of Grace Adieu' is a book of short stories of faerie and I highly recommend it.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole family is really enjoyig Jonathan Strange, even my husband who didn't get on with the book. My son and I that loved it are both really pleased that they've managed to capture the spirit of it, while smoothing it out a bit.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, that was certainly interesting stuff, if quite creepy! Some excellent acting in it. I had a look at the book in Waterstone's today but think I might get it from the library instead.
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:

Also I watched the whole series of Car Share on iPlayer

we're working our way through these bit by bit and I really like it. Especially the cheesy local radio adverts and announcers.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We watched The Armada last night and that was very interesting. Even Mr Nen was semi-engaged and it takes a lot for a history programme to do that to him. I suspect it may have had something to do with some of the attractive young female historians who contributed, but I may be doing him an injustice. [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
The whole family is really enjoyig Jonathan Strange, even my husband who didn't get on with the book. My son and I that loved it are both really pleased that they've managed to capture the spirit of it, while smoothing it out a bit.

My wife enjoyed it, but I don't think I quite finished it when I had a go at it several years ago.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I'm enjoying Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell as well. Obviously some of the characters are different from the way I imagine them. (Also, there are minor characters whom I'd forgotten about but whom you actually notice when they're given actors with lines.)

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
But if we're talking Barbara Gordon, then presumably either the library work from the old TV series--or what she got up to in "Birds of Prey", a wonderful but short-lived show. (With lots of woman power! [Cool] )

Different Barbara Gordon - the joys of comic continuity mean that Commissioner Gordon's first wife was also named Barbara. It occurs to me as I write this that she can't be surnamed Gordon in Gotham if she's not married to him.
I haven't watched the last two episodes of Gotham, since the writers seem to try to interest us in the character again by showing us that she's really good at needing rescuing.
A pity - the actor had a lot of charisma in Being Human, where she actually had a part.

[ 28. May 2015, 07:14: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016