homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Your favourite church (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Your favourite church
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's what Britain's political party leaders have chosen for their favourite church. How about you?

Mine would probably be Blackfriars Priory in Oxford. Rebuilt early last century after an absence of several centuries, on exactly the same spot as it was in the 1200s, it's plain and simple inside, light and airy, and feels far older than it actually is. The simplicity throws you back on yourself and I've found it much more fruitful being there than in any other church so far.

What's yours? Doesn't have to be one you visit regularly, doesn't have to even be one from your own denomination, or even in your own country...

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about favourite, but I do have a soft spot for St. John's Cathedral in Oban. It is, in its own way, a beautiful building but it is very much a monument to thwarted ambitions and grand dreams brought down by bad luck and fiscal realities.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite Church is a small Malayi Latin Catholic Church fairly near my Indian residence. Nothing to look at. Roofed, but doors open an hour before mass. Built in 2000, known casually as Jubilee Church, or more formally as Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Men on left, women on right. Kids get front row spots on floor, No pews, some chairs for the infirm and elderly. It packs out at 2-250. Despite its youth, it a prayerful place.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Mr. Farrago's church is the one I'm thinking of, it is indeed an enchanting little building, and I have a much-treasured watercolour painting of it.

It has no parish, village, or (AFAIK) regular congregation - rather like UKIP after the election, I hope.......

I'll get me coat.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm ...

I don't think I have one particular favourite.

In terms of architecture, location, quirkiness and so on, I'd plump for these (among others):

Kilpeck
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/england/kilpeck-church

Cwmyoy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cwmyoy

Durham Cathedral

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No favourite, but two that I regard with special fondness:

St Martin, Cwmyoy - sometimes called the most twisted church in the world, thanks to lanslip, seismic, shift, etc.

The church of St David at Llanthony - is where some of my ancestors are buried.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Saints Margaret Street, London - a cave of anglo-catholic delights.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had Cwmyoy too.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Central Pentecostal Tabernacle

From my hometown, now demolished. The architect's family campaigned to get it made into a Heritage site, but the city ruled that, being built in 1972, it didn't meet the age requirements.

Obviously, a direct quote from the Egyptian pyramids. The architect went on to do at least one other building in that style, and inspired a few others(hence, one of the arguments for Heritage designation). That photo looks like it's in a leafy suburb, but in fact it's in a quasi-commerical area near the downtown.

There is also a second building, containing faint echoes of Notre Dame du Haut in France.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A remarkable, thin place

An extraordinary, unlooked-for discovery in Berlin.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For position, this Creamtealand church has to be my favourite. Except when the mist comes down, whenever you are on the Western side of the moor, and even in that faraway foreign land of East Cornwall (where be dragons), you can espy this beacon of hope and know you are still safely in God's hands.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting that they seem more interesting in the building than in the church.

My favourite church would have to be King's Church, Durham - where I spent my student days with some great theological teaching from Mark Bonnington. However, the building we used was the student union and the floor was always sticky with spilt beer from the night before.

So for my favourite church building, I'd have to travel all of a couple of hundred yards to the Anglican cathedral in Durham. It's a great piece of architecture, stunningly beautiful and they don't charge you to walk in the door.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For its sheer breathtaking beauty I too would go for Durham Cathedral. I think I would have been about four years old when I first visited it with my mum and dad. I remember being scared of the door-knocker, and I remember walking in and having an impression of a building that seemed to go on for ever in every direction.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the church that we rent for our services in the Netherlands. It is so old the walls are actually tilted.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

In my experience, Sipech, the buildings are often more benign than the people ...

[Big Grin]

In terms of churches I've been involved with, I didn't want to name or shame.

All churches have their ups and downs. I was a member of one congregation for 18 years - through thick and thin ...

I wouldn't have that down as my 'favourite' as we ended up leaving in the end - as almost everyone did ultimately ...

I've only really been a long-term member/attender at three churches - plus an occasional visitor/sampler at various others.

If you're asking which has been my favourite in terms of where I felt happiest - then it would have to be the Baptist church I was part of for 6 years from 2000 to 2006. It was somewhat 'emergent' in style and tone and charismatic-lite.

Even though I'd probably moved on from both those positions while I was there, they were a great bunch of people and it was a good place to be - particularly for people like us who'd previously been involved with heavy-duty 'restorationism' and who needed somewhere to regroup and to chill ...

I'm not sure it'd be my thing now, though - nor is my current church, truth be told.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This won't surprise anyone. [Big Grin]

It's where we got married, when D. was the organist and I sang in the choir. Whenever we go home, there's always a little intake of breath when it comes into view as we're driving into Kirkwall. [Smile]

St. Magnus was built by the same band of masons who built Durham (I understand it was their next job after Durham), and you can tell; although Durham's much bigger, I can almost get the same frisson when I go into it.

[ 30. March 2015, 14:23: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... driving into Kirkwall. [Smile]

You drive? I thought you had a longship!

AG (whose vote goes to the Italian Chapel.)

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either Pusey House, or the chapel of King Edward's School Birmingham - which used to be a corridor.

But it was a corridor in a building designed by Barry and Pugin before they did Parliament, so when the school moved site in the 1940s, they took the corridor with them and consecrated it...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St Michael & All Angels, Linton

Grassington itself is a lovely place in the Dales. But then you walk across to Linton and enter a church where parts date from the 12th century and where there was almost certainly a church for a couple of hundreds of years before that.

It may not be architecturally stunning, but it is a place of peace and tranquility.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... driving into Kirkwall. [Smile]

You drive? I thought you had a longship!
It's a very long, hard row across the Atlantic ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But an even damper drive.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Either Pusey House, or the chapel of King Edward's School Birmingham - which used to be a corridor.

But it was a corridor in a building designed by Barry and Pugin before they did Parliament, so when the school moved site in the 1940s, they took the corridor with them and consecrated it...

Are you an Old Edwardian also? I sang evensong in that chapel/corridor fornightly when I was at the school.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amika
Shipmate
# 15785

- Posted      Profile for Amika   Email Amika   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Mary's church, Shrewsbury, now sadly in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. There are just two services a year and the occasional musical event now.

I love the building with its amazing stained glass windows but I do also often attend the services, usually consisting of a very small congregation of enthusiasts and perhaps former stalwarts of what seems to have been a very Anglo-catholic community. (I nearly choke on the incense!) Info about it here.

Posts: 147 | From: Ingerland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:

Are you an Old Edwardian also?
We're everywhere.

I too was a chapel chorister.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, it would be this

It is Gougane Barra; the beginning of St Fin Barre's ministry in County Cork. The chapel is very tiny and sits on an island with preserved monks cells and a holy well. The chapel is beautiful inside but hopefully the individual who chose the colour scheme expired on an extended penance in the cold lake.

I'm also rather fond of this
Gallus Oratory County Kerry, and
this

St Kevin's Oratory, Glendalough.

You can probably see a pattern emerge.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always been very fond of the church I attended while growing up. The last time I was there, (twenty-two years ago) a tropical storm had flooded the basement, so there were no services that Sunday. [Frown]

Yes, it's in Pennsylvania. No, I did not encourage the storm to follow me from Florida.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love our home church , which is generally full of people of all ages, tea and cake.

The area is pretty and the building isn't bad now that we've hacked out the dry rot. I like the fact that the stained glass shows a Jesus knocking at the door who is not a white man. The building isn't that much of draw though; it's the people I love.

Cattyish, about to make a quick dinner.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine's the one you see there in my avatar: the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Detroit!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Full Circle
Shipmate
# 15398

- Posted      Profile for Full Circle     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for the Italian Chapel in Orkney. I have only visited once but it was the first church that showed me how people might be able to worship in ornate environments: The craftmanship and attention taken to making ordinary things exceptionally beautiful seemed to point me to God (whereas previously entered ornate churches had always struck me as opportunities to display wealth)

--------------------
Beware the monocausal fallacy (Anon)

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me it has to be the church where I first encountered the glorious reality of the Living God all those years ago. A plain exterior hides a glorious interior, and it seems to have the churchmanship I will expect to find in heaven....St Silas, Kentish Town
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't find the postcard I cherished, but have a link.

After travelling for a week or more in Italy and visiting huge churches ornately decorated – I remember commenting on numerous side chapels with cluttered altars that reminded me of 'Victorian dressing tables' I came to Sant Eufemia in Spoleto – solid Romanesque with no furnishings save a plain altar and a triptych (not the painting in this picture). Filled with peace.

The links I've found tend to picture it from the 'women's gallery', looking down, but I remember it from floor level. And it has apparently not been used for worship for some time, perhaps from before I was there in 1958 or 59. But this does not stop one's soul from being raised in spontaneous worship!

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have several but if I had to pick one it would be St. Francis at Rancho de Taos, New Mexico. I first visited on a dark, stormy day. The storm broke while I was inside and the place flooded with light. You've seen the church - Georgia O'Keefe, Ansel Adams, etc....

St. Francis, Rancho de Taos

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Full Circle:
... The craftmanship and attention taken to making ordinary things exceptionally beautiful ...

That's part of what makes the Italian Chapel so special - knowing that it was all built out of the bits and bobs that the prisoners of war could find, you see what a labour of love it was.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I love the church Pete referenced and the nearby and fairly ancient [Syrian Catholic] Church of the Holy Cross my heart has to choose Brigflatts Quaker Meeting House outside Sedbergh in the Yorkshire Dales. The most wonderfully restful and tranquil building.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ralegh

Bronxite
# 1436

- Posted      Profile for Ralegh   Email Ralegh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To toss a little American variety in the mix, I love St. Ann's Church in the South Bronx http://stannsb.dioceseny.org/. It has an incredible priest that has done wonderful work for the neighborhood, and as one of the oldest churches in the Bronx, it has history going for it as well. It is the resting place of a number of members of one of the Revolution's founding families, the Morrises. You can read about its current ministries in Jonathan Kozol's Amazing Grace.
I mystery-worshipped there once and was heartily welcomed as a stranger, decidedly not of the neighborhood.

--------------------
Mysterious Worshippers!
Are you indeed the things you seem to be,
Of earth--yet of its iron influence free
From all that stirs . . .?

Posts: 240 | From: The Bronx | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite church is where I regularly worship. A good supportive community.

The building is not half bad either, but that is not what really matters.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Saints Margaret Street for me also. Have worshipped there anytime I've been in London since 1992.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
cynic girl
Shipmate
# 13844

- Posted      Profile for cynic girl   Author's homepage   Email cynic girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Holy_Sepulchre Incredibly beautiful, although the different sectors for different denominations feels a little odd.
Posts: 150 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I love it too.

The different denominations vying for space is part of its appeal - the way to the cross on a Friday morning wasn't through some peaceful haven but through a busy market place where everyone was out to make profit rather than to witness yet another criminal going to his death.

I remember going to mass there on the site of Golgotha at 4.30am because the altars were all booked up and that was the only 30 minute slot we could get.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the most moving experiences in my life was visiting the tomb but I'm not sure beautiful is the right word. Somebody said it looks like what somebody would produce if they had obtained a copy of book on architecture written by a nineteenth century Belgian but with some pages missing and without knowing the language it was written in.

Despite all that, and for all the noise, queues, clutter, division and muddle, when I got inside it, I was completely poleaxed by the most obvious fact, the one thing that everybody knows, which is that it is empty.

It was as though there was a corpse shaped empty space there. I described this to someone else later, who traced out an invisible body with their hand. That was exactly what I meant. I think they had at some point experienced the same thing.

Also, here are all these people from all over the world, with all sorts of different religious cultures and traditions, and despite the schisms, they are all here for the same reason and with the same belief.

[ 20. April 2015, 08:30: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love in the "Kirk" in London - one a long time ago. It is an excellent Scottish one. I visit it at some times as I live a long way from it. I get on the 6 bus or the Holburn tube.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found the Church of the Holy Sepulchre one of the most disturbing places I've ever visited. Yes, I expected it to be busy, but all it brought to mind was that it needed Christ to come again to throw out all the people - priests - hawking their wares. Particularly unnerving was the priest offering to show some 'extra' behind the altar he was guarding if we supplied him with whisky (Johnny Walker Black Label was specified): truly dreadful.

Frankly, if I'd been looking for affirmation of faith this would have had the opposite effect.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just remember it's one on computer ! It also has really lovely things inside!

www.crowncourtchurch.org.uk

It shows some of it where we have the one to sit and sing and be told by the man in speaking. And we read bible as they have them for us in our place we sing.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, Notre Dame de Chartres is an object of near-obsession and, dare I say it, near-idolatry.

I'm about as in love with that edifice and place as anybody can be. I have been above the vault and in the crypt, above the choir, crawled about the outside to get up close and personal with the inverted Chartres Maria in her mysteriously un-blue outdoor robes.

This place haunts me in the best way possible, and I have been drawn to it like a moth to a flame, year after year, century after century. I can't appreciate it enough.

LAFF

--------------------
C2C - The Cure for What Ails Ya?

Posts: 2115 | From: Kingdom of Heaven | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Altenberger Dom is an old favorite. (View of outside here.) If you turn around in this virtual picture and look at the "golden" window, you have to imagine sunlight streaming through that to quite amazing effect (on a nice day). What's also stunning is that this massive church (it's called "Dom" or Cathedral by the locals, though formally it isn't one) actually belonged to a monastery, and is nestled deep into the woods of the "Bergische Land" (a hilly region close to Cologne) with no major town nearby. An amazing place, well worth a visit. Excellent for combining with a walking / cycling / riding tour in the surrounding landscape - and while there are no major cities, there are actually several good places to eat in that area... If you have little kids, there is a "Märchenwald" close by, which is basically a theme park in the woods illustrating Grimm's tales. Finally, it is also a shared place of worship of the RCs and (German) Lutherans, so you can go there for a service whether Catholic or Protestant...

[ 20. April 2015, 15:58: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's difficult to pick out a favourite. For years, we went to a small presbyterian church on the outskirts of Montreal, where the worship and fellowship were as good as they get, though the building was modern and not lovely to look upon. Around here there are old order Mennonite meeting houses that are plain, but elegantly proportioned (to my eye) with surprisingly comfortable wooden seats in their comforting interiors - but I'm not a Mennonite. My real favourite in recent years has been St Columba's Shrine on Iona. Much as I like the Abbey church itself, the little shrine is my favourite spot. It hasn't been the same since Historic Scotland found it necessary to install electric lighting, but it's still good, especially on a windy autumn night, when you come out to see the huge cross of St John against the sky.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The question could refer to churches that are of personal or communal importance, and all the candidates' answers are pretty unconvincing.

Crowland Abbey is a significant as a strange place to sleep as a pilgrim, chasing the horizon through the "Holy Land of the English". Somehow the whole place oozes a sense of continuous prayer over the years. The american vicar is also very kind and softly spoken, and somehow the flatness adds to the eerieness.

Also St Mary Eversholt St - the archetypal "where not even the Bishops will try to hinder you."

IMHO faith in the slums has an obvious path, as does on the fens. It's in the suburbs we seem to fail to find our identity/vocation?

And it's funny you should mention Blackfriars - despite never having been there it brings back association with the names of many eg Seamus Heaney.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I found the Church of the Holy Sepulchre one of the most disturbing places I've ever visited. Yes, I expected it to be busy, but all it brought to mind was that it needed Christ to come again to throw out all the people - priests - hawking their wares. Particularly unnerving was the priest offering to show some 'extra' behind the altar he was guarding if we supplied him with whisky (Johnny Walker Black Label was specified): truly dreadful.

Frankly, if I'd been looking for affirmation of faith this would have had the opposite effect.

I entirely agree, I found my visit to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre very depressing; crowded, noisy, rude abrupt priests and bizarrely segregated, especially with different denominations vying for who had the 'real' tomb.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
King's Church, Durham - where I spent my student days with some great theological teaching from Mark Bonnington. However, the building we used was the student union and the floor was always sticky with spilt beer from the night before.

The time I went it was still called Emmanuel and meeting in a carpet factory with industrial size portable air blowers. Cue the jokes about the sound of a mighty rushing wind.

quote:
So for my favourite church building, I'd have to travel all of a couple of hundred yards to the Anglican cathedral in Durham.
Thirded. I think the setting has something to do with it, too.

We got to visit all sorts of off-limits parts as part of a lecture series during the French degree, for some reason.

The only place of worship I have ever entered to address a pressing need to pray.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016