homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » KJV-NRSV common verses

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: KJV-NRSV common verses
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this topic isn't too dreadfully narrow, but it occurred to me that it might be interesting to see which passages are rendered identically by two very different biblical translations - the King James Version and the New Revised Standard Version, which are something of "standards" in the Fundementalist/traditional Anglican communities and the Mainline Protestant/secular academic communities, respectively. Although they were made almost 400 years apart, in very different linguistic contexts, I have already discovered a fair number of such verses, and I am hoping some of you might be able to dig out more.

Here's my list so far (disregarding differences in punctuation and capitalization, but taking note of differences in spellings of names). As you can see, some of my "common verses" are grasping at straws a bit by restoring to the "begat" parts of the Bible, but some others actually touch on important doctrines.

Exodus 1: 2-4. Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin, Dan, and Naphtali, Gad, and Asher.

I Chronicles 1: 4. Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

I Chronicles 1: 25-26. Eber, Peleg, Reu, Serug, Nahor, Terah,

Ecclesiastes 3: 3-4. A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance..

Song of Solomon 1: 1. The song of songs, which is Solomon's.

Matthew 5: 3. Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 6: 11. Give us this day our daily bread.

Matthew 22: 40. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

John 1: 1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1: 6. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

John 3: 30. He must increase, but I must decrease.

I John 1: 8. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

I John 1: 10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I don't think there's much a translator can do to alter a list of names. [Big Grin] I do like that some of the poetry, or poetic language (like John 1:1) stayed the same.

I was hoping that John 11:35 would stil be rendered "Jesus wept" but the NRSV has "Jesus began to weep."

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're getting into the territory of translation theory at least as much as theology here. The Authorised Version is canonical, par excellence pretty much. It's almost impossible for other translations to get too far away from canonical translations, particularly once they get into the cultural bloodstream.

This is not restricted to the Bible - go and look at the influence of Constance Garnett on later translations of the canonical Russian novels (up to Chekhov) to see exactly the same phenomenon.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The NRSV is a revision of the RSV (1952) which is a revision of the ASV (1901) and English RV (1885) which was a revision of the KJV. It's a linear descendant, and each step in the way was done in a deliberately conservative manner to not alienate readers, especially in key, familiar passages, so I'm not surprised there is somewhat of an overlap.

It might be interesting to compare with another revision of the RSV - the ESV.

If you want different, try the NIV, or indeed the Good News Bible [Smile] Or the truly wonderful but sadly undermarketed Revised English Bible.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
Or the truly wonderful but sadly undermarketed Revised English Bible.

Thank you! I am just coming back to reading the Bible regularly after a long break and am using an REB that was my mum's. It's a version I've been unfamiliar with hitherto but I really love it and am surprised it is not more widely used.

Nen - apologies for being a tad off topic. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bran Stark:
I John 1: 10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

I'm actually surprised that the construction "we make him a liar" was thought to be contemporary English when the NRSV was redacted. It sounds old-fashioned to me, and I wonder if an American 8th grader (my population of young Americans to work with) would understand what it meant.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a lot of old fashioned language in the NRSV (even more in the ESV). I wouldn't know if 'make him a liar' was old fashioned though; it would presumably depend on the audience.

The CEV has "If we say that we have not sinned, we make God a liar, and his message isn’t in our hearts." so maybe it isn't as old fashioned as it initially sounds - or there isn't a better way to phrase it.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll ask my kids what they think of it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

Please do! And ask them how they would express the idea in their own words.

--------------------

Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here's a verse much-beloved by Matins-reciters everywhere. Not only is it the same in the KJV and the NRSV, but it's also the same in the traditional Prayer Book Psalter and the 1979 Prayer Book Psalter.

Psalm 95: 3. For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.

Just a few lines later we have another KJV-NRSV common verse:

Psalm 95: 6. O come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the LORD our maker.

--------------------

Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Bran Stark:

I'm actually surprised that the construction "we make him a liar" was thought to be contemporary English when the NRSV was redacted. It sounds old-fashioned to me, and I wonder if an American 8th grader (my population of young Americans to work with) would understand what it meant.
The NRSV was not ever intended for 8th graders! It was deliberately written at a 11th grade, high school junior level. The NRSV's unsuitability for use by children and younger youth was one of the concerns driving the creation of the new Common English Bible. Though as someone mentioned earlier, the Revised English Bible is another ecumenical, mainline translation which is easier to read then the NRSV. Perhaps it would have been better to pluck that version out of obscurity than to spend the time and money necessary to make another English Bible translation.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

I'm surprised I didn't notice this one before.

Luke 2: 13. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying:

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016