homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 8th Day: Silence

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 8th Day: Silence
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to suggest a Silence board and I'm up for hosting it.

Topics for inclusion could be:

The still small voice – how to learn to listen; what role it’s played in your life
Why we avoid silence
What there is in silence
Isolation and the psychological effects
Silence is more than just the absence of noise
Whether silence really is golden
Books, websites, DVDs – list of useful reference sites
Quiet meditation techniques and links
Silent religious orders
Sponsored silence – would you or couldn’t you?
Retreats and how they went for you
The positive benefits of learning to be silent
Non-Christian techniques: good, bad, helpful

Etc.

Anyone up for it?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
code:

Possibly.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this article, such a board might suggest that the rest of the Ship is equivalent to self-induced electric shocks.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another possible topic: silence for those with tinnitus.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the idea of this board! Going through my thoughts to the still place beyond is incredibly soothing.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
According to this article, such a board might suggest that the rest of the Ship is equivalent to self-induced electric shocks.

Mostly men, it would seem. I can arrange the experiment, if you wish. [Devil]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Another possible topic: silence for those with tinnitus.

And:

* Silent spaces in worship
* What constitutes "noise" v what criteria mean something is pleasant to listen to
* The two minute silence: useful, challenging, or just a gesture?

Plenty of material for discussion, and the potential to be quite interesting, but two co-hosts would be needed if this is to get off the ground.

[ 24. August 2014, 08:11: Message edited by: Ariel ]

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love the idea and would potentially be up for co-hosting.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checking back, I see a board can have just two hosts.

I would be up for contributing to such a board (albeit not hosting).

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Communication without words - through body language, mime, etc. Not exactly the still small voice, but maybe there could be a corner to consider the world of the hearing impaired.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Non-verbal communication, definitely. Kingsfold, thank you very much, you're in - anyone else want to be a co-host? Room for one more.

We need a name for the board. Off the top of my head, "The Quiet Zone". I'm sure someone can think of something better.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm interested in the topic, but not hosting.

Linked topics could be the links between silence and solitude.

Also the experience of shared silences, maybe experiment with an online shared silence.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Checking back, I see a board can have just two hosts.

A board needs at least two hosts, actually -- it's a minimum, not a maximum.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possible titles

'Elected Silence sing to me'

Or just 'Elected Silence' (Gerard Manley-Hopkins) and also title of Thomas Merton's autobiography.

Or, 'The Silence of Eternity interpreted by love' although this might be too long, could be shortened to 'The Silence of Eternity' John Greenleaf Whittier, Dear Lord and Father of Mankind

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Careful with that second one Thyme - or the ghost of Ken will rise up and haunt the board!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the sound of this idea!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Careful with that second one Thyme - or the ghost of Ken will rise up and haunt the board!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great idea for a Board and, if there was nobody else, I'd have a go at Hosting it but I am away for a week or more from 16th September although I might, I suppose, pack the internet along with my other stuff and be able to do a little bit occasionally.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An absent host might be an ideal host for a board on Silence. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

OK. I have one absent co-host, one possible co-host, am drafting a board intro and have a string of ideas for this.

Proposal: to have a board to discuss the role and challenges that silence plays in life and worship. Why it is often avoided and seen as challenging, etc., and what can be gained from it.

We have had threads on this in Purgatory occasionally and also All Saints from the retreat angle, but I'd like to bring them together in one place. There are potentially quite a lot of topics for discussion and it would be good for them to have their own space to be discussed. Collectively, it could be possible to have spin-off topics which would then not dominate any of the existing boards.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back now... Brain not completely functioning correctly, but getting there...

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the feeling that the topic of this board is very close to that of the current prayer board (I'm almost tempted to start a thread on silence there), but I'm more than willing to see how it goes!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I have the feeling that the topic of this board is very close to that of the current prayer board (I'm almost tempted to start a thread on silence there), but I'm more than willing to see how it goes!

I had been thinking somewhat the same thing. Why not start a silence-related thread or two on the prayer board to see how it goes?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I would demur. Silence is the larger topic. It may be associated with some religious practices, but those are just some of the buckets drawn up from the well, not the aquifer itself.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from anything spiritual or meditative, silence can be as much a method of communication as speech.
So, for as much weight as it has, I raise my objection to silence being relegated to an existing board.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I would demur. Silence is the larger topic. It may be associated with some religious practices, but those are just some of the buckets drawn up from the well, not the aquifer itself.

Thank you. I was thinking the same: the more I look into it, the more I find it's a potentially quite large (and fascinating) topic. The religious element is only a part of it. I would hope to be able to demonstrate some of this if we get this board going.
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about silence and solitude - as the two are often linked, and as you are thinking of isolation as one of the subtopics. Many aspects of solitude other than isolation can be explored. There could be threads specifically about various aspects of silence, and threads specifically about various aspects of solitude, and threads about how they are linked.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to say that creating a board to discuss silence must be the most ironic 8D idea possible...

...and then Fineline topped that by suggesting to extend its remit to silence and solitude. Well done.

I can just see the post-run analysis:

"The board was a splendid success: There was never more than one person browsing the board, and nobody posted anything!"

[Razz]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

"Blessed is she who expects nothing, for she shall not be disappointed."

You may be surprised by how wide-ranging a topic it actually can be. I'm compiling a list of possible things, so that if this ever comes off, we'll have something to talk about. I don't think we'll be short of ideas.

StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have often thought that being on the internet is itself a form of noise because it has the same kind of effect as being distracted by background chatter.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevHep:
I have often thought that being on the internet is itself a form of noise because it has the same kind of effect as being distracted by background chatter.

I think so too. I find any form of words to be noise, and particularly the interactive form that the internet provides. As I focus more on silence in my own life, I try to spend less time online. Although I don't think that precludes having a forum to talk about such things - sometimes discussing something can clarify things in people's minds, and most people are not going to want to be silent all the time.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, here's the thread. Sorry for my joke earlier on the other 8th Day thread (T & T), but I did immediately think of posters posting long swaths of empty space. [Razz]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016