homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Gay clergy wedding at St Bart's, London (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gay clergy wedding at St Bart's, London
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:
It seems the Bishop of London is not pleased.

quote:
So much good work is being done both nationally and internationally by the Church as it seeks in the spirit of Jesus Christ to address some of the global issues of peace, justice and poverty that confront the peoples of the world. It would be a tragedy if this episode were to distract us from the big agenda.
Addressing issues of justice is going to distract us from addressing issues of justice? [Ultra confused]
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choirboy - Rev. Dudley's name is probably known beyond his parish for several other reasons, but broadly you are right.

However, I think there are several other issues you need to bear in mind if you are still not understanding why this has hit the big-time. (And bear in mind you are probably hearing this from the Ship's biggest cynic when it comes to press coverage of anything).

Response is not proportionate to the individual importance of the event itself. We tend to allow ourselves considerable elasticity (well, puritans don't but let's leave them out of it) in most things. Other people have to negotiate their lives as best they can, and anyway few of us have the time or inclination to go fiddling about in other peoples' lives.

But sometimes - for whatever reason - a whole back-catalogue of "not very important" builds up, and the next "not very important" to come along just tips the scales. Or it just becomes the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Actually, for reasons already indicated, this one was higher profile, so you have the added issue that some perceive this to be another pushing of the envelope.

Then the timing - Lambeth may not mean so much to you but it means a lot more to others. And so on...

It was this sort of combination of circumstances I was making my admittedly rather sardonic comments on earlier in this thread. Sometimes things just happen at the right time and in the right place, and then they get inflated all out of proportion - they take on an iconic component, and they may even go on to develop a sort of secular hagiography around them. I don't know whether this one will, but when people are in a state of heightened expectation, putting your head above the parapet and keeping a low profile become incompatible clichés.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought that if Martin Dudley is known to the general public at all it is probably through the medium of a Sunday Newspaper expose made some years ago. It is alluded to in this recent article

The Anglican 'gay wedding' and a distinctly turbulent priest by David Cohen, in the Evening Standard

Aumbry

[edited to fix wacky broken link and scroll lock]

[ 18. June 2008, 18:01: Message edited by: Jason I. Am ]

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Improved link
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

In many ways the real story here could be about the Rector painting himself as the little man standing up on behalf of a persecuted minority against a big bullying bishop than about gay marriage.

Perhaps this has been done to strengthen his position and to stop the bishop from ousting him for other reasons.

Aumbry

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What an arrogant asshole Dudley is! I had no idea. But, when it comes to having his license removed by the Bishop, surely where there is a will, there is a way. His appeal to the parson's freehold goes far, but not all the way home.

Now I regret having paid money to see Great St. Bart's a while back.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you excited by parish (ward) boundaries:

St Barts the Great
Rector: Martin Dudley
Patron: Dean & Chapter, Westminster Abbey

St Barts the Less
Vicar: Peter Cowell
Patron: Barts Hospital Trustees

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neato use of parish websites. Catholic diocesan websites or masstimes should have parish boundaries listed, but they don't.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Audrey Ely
Shipmate
# 12665

- Posted      Profile for Audrey Ely   Author's homepage   Email Audrey Ely   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr Dudley appears to be very keen on publicising himself.
Posts: 1432 | From: Cambridgeshire, England | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Well, I think you may have fallen under the spell of the propaganda. There aren't (a) authorised liturgies (important on the lex orandi, lex credendi principle); (b) many public services of blessing; (c) as many instances as folk would like to claim.

Then, why did not Rowen -- to whom the question was asked publicly and spcifically by the Primate of Canada, not deny the allegation? Why did he remain silent?

Failing a personal response from Rowen, why did not another representative of the CofE respond?

And, unless you know certainly that there are no such services, whether widely or not -- and Leo has said he has attended two so far this year -- why are bishops of all stripes (on this issue), from Southwark to Rochester, remaining in steely silence?

JOhn

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are quite a few bishops who have backed their clergy, provided they stay within the guidelines - but I ain't going to name them.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
There are quite a few bishops who have backed their clergy, provided they stay within the guidelines - but I ain't going to name them.

Leo, as you seem to be invited to more of these services/parties than +Pete, would you like to estimate:

How many such civil partnership blessing services a year are taking place in total in the Church of England, and how many of them are reasonably public occasions, as opposed to essentially private blessings?

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Well, I think you may have fallen under the spell of the propaganda. There aren't (a) authorised liturgies (important on the lex orandi, lex credendi principle); (b) many public services of blessing; (c) as many instances as folk would like to claim.

Then, why did not Rowen -- to whom the question was asked publicly and specifically by the Primate of Canada, not deny the allegation? Why did he remain silent?

Failing a personal response from Rowen, why did not another representative of the CofE respond?

And, unless you know certainly that there are no such services, whether widely or not -- and Leo has said he has attended two so far this year -- why are bishops of all stripes (on this issue), from Southwark to Rochester, remaining in steely silence?

JOhn

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen - it clearly does. I am saying that it's not as widespread as LGCM like to pretend. Where it is known that priests might be contemplating such action, a clear explanation of the meaning of canonical obedience will usually suffice. There are, of course, those clergy who are so insufferably arrogant that they think they are beyond the law.

Unlike the situation in Canada, where it's clearly an article of faith to make such liturgical provision...

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

I rarely compliment bishops but the Bishop of London must be some sort of a saint for putting up with Martin Dudley's carryings on for so long.

What the Archbishops need to do now is illustrate to the worldwide communion that this "wedding" has nothing to do with the Church of England and is an attempt by an arrogant and intransigent priest to make waves.

Aumbry

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The difference between gay blessings which are happening under the radar, and are essentially private events, was that the 'wedding' at St Bart's was 'political' and 'public'. The Church of England can put up with anomalies quite easily - there always have been priests who've behaved poorly and believed some extremely dotty things. The cost of discipline and the potential for scandal has meant that they are for the most part ignored and swept under the carpet. In other words, they have little or no impact on the position and teaching of the Church.

However this 'wedding' was a public and political statement. It was an attempt to force the issue, by placing a 'fact on the ground'. It was leaked to journalists on the Sunday newspapers towards the end of last week to make maximum publicity before Gafcon and the Lambeth Conference. It's no surprise that the two clergy involved are apparently going to live in New Zealand, and that the officiating priest is relishing his moments of fame and notoriety.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

- Posted      Profile for Cardinal Pole Vault   Author's homepage   Email Cardinal Pole Vault   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is amuses me how the event at St. Bart's is being decried as 'political'.

Perhaps it was 'politcal'- but aren't all heterosexual weddings? By their nature, they are public and so 'political' in a sense? And what about all those hundreds of weddings through the ages that were nothing *but* political: dynastic marriages of convenience between monarchs, princes and so on. Countless marriages arranged regardless of love, but simply to further the interests of a family, a nation or whatever (and we don't need to look *that* far back in history to see examples of this...)

I think it a bit rich for heterosexuals to lecture homosexuals on the ethics and political nature of marriage. By and large heterosexuals have shown themselves to be quite crap at marriage (and show me an example from scripture of somebody living out the so-called Christian ideal of marriage- there aren't many wholesome examples to be found)- perhaps the real issue is that the straights are worried that gays will show them up.

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Posts: 986 | From: Insula Tiberina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can only agree with much of your sentiment, Cardinal PV. We straights are indeed pretty crap - and increasingly so - at holding marriage together. Perhaps if we were to spend a little more time bewailing our own failings than those of others, we might legitimately expect a bit more credibility.

Although I have to say that ordinary marriage is decreasingly a political statement. Why should it be? Politics is about getting things done, and most of the same things now get done if you simply live together rather than marry. Modern cohabitation rights have largely evacuated the political dimension from marriage. An example of the law of unexpected consequences perhaps, and still not 100% true, but largely so I think.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

- Posted      Profile for Cardinal Pole Vault   Author's homepage   Email Cardinal Pole Vault   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:

Although I have to say that ordinary marriage is decreasingly a political statement. Why should it be? Politics is about getting things done, and most of the same things now get done if you simply live together rather than marry. Modern cohabitation rights have largely evacuated the political dimension from marriage. An example of the law of unexpected consequences perhaps, and still not 100% true, but largely so I think.

Umm.. I see what you're saying. But I'd say that as the institution of marriage falls out of favour with the general population, Christian marriage becomes increasingly *more* political.

One of the most political event I've ever been to was the wedding of a close friend. He and his wife are both Christians and both active in politics. The service was fantastic- a real celebration of marriage which recognised it as a particular vocation within the church and with a prophetic edge in the world.

From vows, to the Eucharist to the reception- it was in essence a statement. It made the event at St Bart's appear boringly establishment!

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Pole Vault:
Countless marriages arranged regardless of love, but simply to further the interests of a family, a nation or whatever (and we don't need to look *that* far back in history to see examples of this...)

Does 1981 count as 'far back in history'? I seem to remember the Church of England getting pretty much involved in a well-known wedding back then. Wonder how that turned out? But that was straight politics of course, which is greatly preferable to pouf politics.

I have to say that given the charming response to a nice couple's happy day, I increasingly hope that they did do it as a political statement. That's how it's going to be treated anyway. Can I ask those who believe it to be political what they think the intention was? I would have thought that pushing 'the Issue' high up the Lambeth agenda would be the last thing any liberal would want...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

And remind me... wasn't it the marital affairs of a certain king that brought about the CofE's separation from Rome?

And they say it's gay marriage that will split the church

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No they don't. The problem is in the area of authority. By what authority do we Anglicans believe and do what we do? Gay 'marriage' may come to be agreed upon by the churches eventually, but this should be on the basis of theological, synodical agreement (with ecumenical understanding and dialogue) and it should certainly be congruent with our understanding of the Bible, tradition and reason.
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

quote:
And remind me... wasn't it the marital affairs of a certain king that brought about the CofE's separation from Rome?

That was hardly a glorious moment in the history of the Church.

Aumbry.

Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
quote:

No they don't. The problem is in the area of authority. By what authority do we Anglicans believe and do what we do? Gay 'marriage' may come to be agreed upon by the churches eventually, but this should be on the basis of theological, synodical agreement (with ecumenical understanding and dialogue) and it should certainly be congruent with our understanding of the Bible, tradition and reason.
Ok.. so why do we have the OoW then?

That was (and is) a far bigger issue- the only difference is, there are less gays than women so they're easier to oppress

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
Are you trying to slaughter two dead horses at once?!

Good question - but is everything reducible to issues of oppression though? That it may certainly exist is no warrant for extending it to cover everything - that has to be demonstrated.

But I just wanted to come back on your earlier point -
quote:
...I'd say that as the institution of marriage falls out of favour with the general population, Christian marriage becomes increasingly *more* political.
I take your point, which is a bit different to what I was talking about. It's only going to work in the wider context, though, if it is seen to be a distinctive thing rather than an opportunity for spending insane sums of money for a ceremony in a historic building. Quite what the nature of that distinctive thing might be is of course the locus of the debate within the church (and a dead horse so I won't go there).

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:

That was (and is) a far bigger issue- the only difference is, there are less gays than women so they're easier to oppress

Firstly, I don't agree that it is a far bigger issue. But we have the ordination of women in the Church of England because we came to agree over the course of the 20th century (and it was raised as an issue many times in Lambeth Conferences, the Church Assembly, and other Anglican councils, before the General Synod actually addressed the issue) that it was a move that was consonant with our understanding of the Bible and tradition. I think we shot the bolt ecumenically, but nevertheless we did listen to ecumenical partners. And we decided to make pastoral arrangements and financial provisions for those who couldn't accept the changes.

I think that was largely the right way to go about effecting change. Note, we didn't have illegal ordinations etc, instead we had an agreed approach to the issue in which everyone observed the process.

Incensed
Shipmate
# 2670

- Posted      Profile for Incensed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
In many ways the real story here could be about the Rector painting himself as the little man standing up on behalf of a persecuted minority against a big bullying bishop than about gay marriage.

Perhaps this has been done to strengthen his position and to stop the bishop from ousting him for other reasons.

Aumbry

This story is all about a self-important Rector continuing to behave as though nobody else matters. Richard Chartres is almost universally accepted as having been overly tolerant of his outrageous behaviour over the years. (The instances are numerous). His latest act of defiance has been carried out under the auspices of being very pastoral. Any criticism of Dudley is seen as a criticism of pastoral care to gay couples...

This is all about Dudley's lack of respect for his bishop's authority and very little to do with the gay issue.

Posts: 241 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

Incensed - I am not sure whether you were agreeing or disagreeing with my post which was perhaps a bit ambiguous but I am in complete agreement with you.

Aumbry

the coiled spring
Shipmate
# 2872

- Posted      Profile for the coiled spring   Author's homepage   Email the coiled spring   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don’t know why there is a need to have ago at the Rectum of St Barts as those who should take the heat are the ones who put him there in the first place.
Not just the matey who gave him the job, but the jolly holy people who put him forward for the priesthood, the selection committee which said OK at his selection conference. Even the priest under who he served time as a curate.
There are many on his journey who should have encouraged him to be a humble chappie but did not. The bottom line is the Church put him there and he is just working the system so nobody should be upset. If he is just doing a bit of attention seeking, tough. The dear Rectum is probably having a quiet chuckle as he believes there will be a lot paper work flying about which end cut to A5 size, a hole in a corner, string put through the hole and then hanged on a nail in the toilet. Chances are Marty knows where a lot of skeltons are buried and the powers that be know this.

--------------------
give back to God what He gives so it is used for His glory not ours.

Posts: 2359 | From: mountain top retreat lodge overlooking skegness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

Perhaps Coiled Spring you sometimes appear perfectly normal at interviews. It can happen.

Aumbry

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Leo, as you seem to be invited to more of these services/parties than +Pete, would you like to estimate:

How many such civil partnership blessing services a year are taking place in total in the Church of England, and how many of them are reasonably public occasions, as opposed to essentially private blessings?

I don't want to name and shame but I reckon each city has at least one 'liberal' church that do these on a regular basis. (One had more blessings than heterosexual weddings in one year - demographics).

LGCM has a list of clergy and churches because it has frequentrequests for such information

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the coiled spring
Shipmate
# 2872

- Posted      Profile for the coiled spring   Author's homepage   Email the coiled spring   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps Coiled Spring you sometimes appear perfectly normal at interviews. It can happen.
Thank you for that. I always cherish pearls of wisdom from God`s anointed.

--------------------
give back to God what He gives so it is used for His glory not ours.

Posts: 2359 | From: mountain top retreat lodge overlooking skegness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

leo - just as a matter of interest for me and no other reason -

- it depends I guess on what counts as a city, but say 50 cities in England, each having somewhere that does say 20 of these a year - i.e. 1000/yr in England? Does that sound reasonable?

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
The difference between gay blessings which are happening under the radar, and are essentially private events, was that the 'wedding' at St Bart's was 'political' and 'public'. The Church of England can put up with anomalies quite easily - there always have been priests who've behaved poorly and believed some extremely dotty things. The cost of discipline and the potential for scandal has meant that they are for the most part ignored and swept under the carpet. In other words, they have little or no impact on the position and teaching of the Church.
I think that we had better be precise in defining a 'gay blessing'. At the one event of this nature I have atteneded the officiating priest was keen to point out that it wasn't a blessing of a civil partnership but a service of thanksgiving. This distinction will doubtless seem like hairsplitting to some but for those of us who have a more catholic understanding of the bonds of matrimony the celebrants are the couple and the relationship is blessed by the priest who also, in England at least, acts as registrar on behalf of the state. So wedding is basically a blessing, a service of thanksgiving is not quite the same thing. This took place in what is undoubtedly one of leo's Civic Centres of Liberal Excellence - the church concerned has been offering 'gay weddings' since the 1970s so clearly someone was attempting to reconcile their oath of canonical obedience with a conviction that Jesus Wants Us To Be Nice To Gay People. Those who hold that there is a place for gay people in the Church of England, but that it just hasn't been dug yet, will doubtless find the whole thing deplorable but on the basis of my admittedly anecdotal experience I would be chary of claiming that there is a wholesale 'gay blessing' industry.

What I find annoying about the whole thing is that I am not allowed to bless two people who love each other and want to commit their lives to one another but if I were a naval chaplain I would be permitted, nay expected, to bless weapons of mass destruction. Oh, and I can bless pets with a clear conscience. I forbear from making the obvious remark. [Frown]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Well, I've always had a serious problem with the latter one, Gildas, but your post prompts me to bring this thing back to Nightlamp's OP - is this one helpful?

Presumably to the couple, yes
To the cause of pastoral sensitivity to parishioners who might happen to be gay, I doubt it.

Beyond that, I'm more or less where I was before it started. Though the thought occurs that of all the options we have before us, what if the CofE has stumbled into a place that is, or is close, to being tenable. Which is to say theologically justifiable and pastorally sensitive. And yet which might now be an area that is uninhabitable? That would be the stuff of classic tragedy.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Sorry - just to clarify - the "problem with the last one" was the blessing of the weapons. Though now I come to think of it, what is the blessing of the animals supposed to achieve/represent/whatever? I know it's all very Franciscan, but isn't this the sort of thing that Mervyn Peake was lampooning in "the blessing of the meat racks"?

What are we up to in this sort of thing?

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Beyond that, I'm more or less where I was before it started. Though the thought occurs that of all the options we have before us, what if the CofE has stumbled into a place that is, or is close, to being tenable. Which is to say theologically justifiable and pastorally sensitive. And yet which might now be an area that is uninhabitable? That would be the stuff of classic tragedy.

I have some sympathy with this and Gildas' post. There rightly should be some pastoral provision for gay men and lesbians. The obvious parallel which has been raised already on this thread is the ordination of women (an incomplete and dodgy parallel), in which there was a theological process rather than the anarchy we have at present. In that case there was a theological debate, and the ordination of women as deacons. Could we not do something similar with regard regard to human sexuality - a proper theological debate around the blessing of friendship (I had some correspondence with the late Alan Bray, at one point, and think we could build theologically on his research, rather than Boswell's). Politically, liberals could view this as a stepping stone, while I and many others would regard it as probably as far as the Church can go.
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Though the thought occurs that of all the options we have before us, what if the CofE has stumbled into a place that is, or is close, to being tenable. Which is to say theologically justifiable and pastorally sensitive. And yet which might now be an area that is uninhabitable? That would be the stuff of classic tragedy.
In my darker moments I suspect that might turn out to be the epitaph of the Church of England!

On the issue in question I think that accidentally blundering into a position whereby we have services of thanksgiving as a matter of economia, but don't go down the whole gay weddings route will only hold as long as we have a situation whereby no-one wants a protracted and damaging faction fight, which I think was the case when the Bishops issued their advice on Civil Partnerships.

On its own merits the idea is only really going to appeal to a small minority of sophisticated conservatives and an even smaller number of sophisticated liberals. The hardliners on one side will take the view that you can't have services of thanksgiving for something that is Just Plain Wrong and the hardliners on the other will take the view that peoples rights are being violated if gays are denied the opportunity to be told that "Jesus attended a wedding with his friends and through his Spirit he is with us now" before exchanging rings. (I hope Fr. Dudley mentioned the brute beasts which are my favourite part of the BCP Service of Holy Matrimony.)

So if we do occupy this terrain for any length of time, it will be because it is preferable to all out war than because of its intrinsic merits. It all depends if the habitual Anglican reluctance to press the big red button continues to hold.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Please understand I'm not advocating it myself. And I would be the first to admit that it looks like a classic fudge. It was only a "what-if" sort of thing. I suppose my main interest is to see what responses it draws, because any solution will need to withstand similar critiquing.

But what about Spawn's suggestion? I suppose the hardliners will reject that too...

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, the Anglican Church of Canada's current rules essentially allow for a Nuptial Mass with intercessions for the couple but sans vows or blessing.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There rightly should be some pastoral provision for gay men and lesbians. The obvious parallel which has been raised already on this thread is the ordination of women (an incomplete and dodgy parallel), in which there was a theological process rather than the anarchy we have at present. In that case there was a theological debate, and the ordination of women as deacons. Could we not do something similar with regard regard to human sexuality - a proper theological debate around the blessing of friendship

But this is just what the anti-gay lobby have been resisting. That, and the pledge to 'listen to the experience of gay and lesbian people.'

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
Please understand I'm not advocating it myself. And I would be the first to admit that it looks like a classic fudge. It was only a "what-if" sort of thing. I suppose my main interest is to see what responses it draws, because any solution will need to withstand similar critiquing.

But what about Spawn's suggestion? I suppose the hardliners will reject that too...

Well, fudge is just another term for compromise and I think it is often in the nature of compromise that the protagonists don't explicitly acknowledge that a deal has been struck but are merely too tired to keep the conflict going indefinitely and let the matter drop.

Spawn has pointed out the obvious disadvantages of his suggestion, notably that some will see it as 'thus far and no further' and others will see it as a further step on the road to full inclusion. But this would only be a telling objection if there were any approach to the question that didn't have obvious disadvantages or risks...

--------------------

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
There rightly should be some pastoral provision for gay men and lesbians. The obvious parallel which has been raised already on this thread is the ordination of women (an incomplete and dodgy parallel), in which there was a theological process rather than the anarchy we have at present. In that case there was a theological debate, and the ordination of women as deacons. Could we not do something similar with regard regard to human sexuality - a proper theological debate around the blessing of friendship

But this is just what the anti-gay lobby have been resisting. That, and the pledge to 'listen to the experience of gay and lesbian people.'
Not at all. People have disagreed with the claim that homosexual relationships are on a par with marriage, with the ordination of practising homosexuals and with same sex blessings. I'm not aware that any of the liberal groupings have seriously proposed a theological debate around friendship. Certainly, neither of the 1997, or 2007 private member's motion debates which were put forward with full consultation with activist groups such as LGCM directed the Church towards a study of this. The approach has been all or nothing, and the placing of facts on the ground, the outing of clergy, the invasion of pulpits, accusations of homophobia rather than serious theological debate.
glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

- Posted      Profile for glockenspiel   Author's homepage   Email glockenspiel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any way you look at it, I suppose there are, essentially, three categories of divine service in the Church (of England) - 1. Stuff we definitely do do - e.g. the marriage of a man and woman, where they have expressed their love for one another, have carefully thought out the consequences, and wish God to place His 'seal' upon it. 2. Stuff we definitely don't do - e.g. Circumsicion 3. Stuff we might allow, where there is a strong spiritual/pastoral 'call' for it - e.g. Benediction.
Posts: 1258 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:

Not at all. People have disagreed with the claim that homosexual relationships are on a par with marriage, with the ordination of practising homosexuals and with same sex blessings. I'm not aware that any of the liberal groupings have seriously proposed a theological debate around friendship. Certainly, neither of the 1997, or 2007 private member's motion debates which were put forward with full consultation with activist groups such as LGCM directed the Church towards a study of this. The approach has been all or nothing, and the placing of facts on the ground, the outing of clergy, the invasion of pulpits, accusations of homophobia rather than serious theological debate.
It might be fairer to say that there has been serious theological debate, or at least discussion, but that it has tended to be intra-liberal or intra-evangelical. I think that Synod, the pages of the Church Times and the Church of England Newspaper et. al. has been more about rallying the faithful and megaphone diplomacy than it has serious theological reflection. I think the St. Andrews Day statement was the one attempt to kick off a serious debate and that pretty much fizzled out.

I think that the following ought to be addressed. Firstly General Synod is a pretty shite talking shop. As the C of E desperately needs a proper talking shop something ought to be done about this. Secondly recrimination is pointless. All of us are to some extent responsible for this mess and we ought to be more concerned with fixing it than apportioning blame. Thirdly we quite simply can't go on talking past each other. As a liberal it was quite a shock to discover that there was a serious conservative case on human sexuality. This is partly due to my theological naivety and arrogance and partly because conservatives do a pretty good job of hiding the fact. [Razz] The same, muatatis mutandis can be said of liberals of course. If we are serious about extricating ourselves from this impasse we are going to have to get beyond the glib assumption that conservatism = fundamentalism and liberalism = baptising the pieties of the Grauniad editorial page and actually engage with the real other and not the abominable strawmen in our heads.

All this will require a real metanoia, a change on the part of all of us. It's not as if homosexuality is the most important issue confronting the Church. It is the issue that threatens to do to us what Europe did to the Tory party - i.e. convince most people that we are a bunch of sad obsessives with no real relevance to their lives. All of us from the most ferocious evangelical to the grooviest member of the Middle Aged Church Persons Union have, I trust, an interest in preventing that.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose that I have assumed that church blessings of same-sex relationships have been substantially different in form (and theological substance) from a wedding. And what seems odd about this one, is I can not - literally - see how it is different from the liturgy of a wedding (with the implication therefore that those involved see it as having the same theological substance as a wedding.)

I have understood the difference in theological substance as being - a blessing as essentially wishing something/person/state well and praying for God to look out for them/it and secure a good outcome. For your weapon, it might be not to misfire (or alternatively not to work depending on your perspective) - for a person or animal perhaps a long and healthy life. Pretty much the same for a relationship - a long and healthy (read appropriate if you have vowed celibacy) life.

Whereas, a wedding is supposed to be perhaps, a change of state. Becoming one flesh or whatever.

My own church does not have sacraments in this way, or a substantial issue with same sex marriage - its biggest sub-organisation on the issue is currently advising not to push forward with it to avoid invoking a backlash but that's about it. I am not heterosexual myself so I have a fair amount of vested interest going on.

But.

I think the people involved in planning and excuting this ceremony have probably shot themselves, and others wanting this change, in the feet. And I certainly do not believe, that this event was designed to go unnoticed at a national level.

What I would want to know figurewise, is both how many same sex blessings there are per year - but also how many of those use a near-wedding liturgy ? To have anyway of knowing if this is unusual.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meant to say - I have assumed CofE church blessings .... etc etc

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

- Posted      Profile for glockenspiel   Author's homepage   Email glockenspiel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the couple and officiant in question regard it as sacramental?
Posts: 1258 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Audrey Ely
Shipmate
# 12665

- Posted      Profile for Audrey Ely   Author's homepage   Email Audrey Ely   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect it was perceived as sacramental but not necessary sacrament.

As the days go on it is clear that this event has damaged the cause of those who are quiety working for the better acceptance of homosexuals in the church.

Posts: 1432 | From: Cambridgeshire, England | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

quote:
I have some sympathy with this and Gildas' post. There rightly should be some pastoral provision for gay men and lesbians. The obvious parallel which has been raised already on this thread is the ordination of women (an incomplete and dodgy parallel), in which there was a theological process rather than the anarchy we have at present. In that case there was a theological debate, and the ordination of women as deacons. Could we not do something similar with regard regard to human sexuality - a proper theological debate around the blessing of friendship (I had some correspondence with the late Alan Bray, at one point, and think we could build theologically on his research, rather than Boswell's). Politically, liberals could view this as a stepping stone, while I and many others would regard it as probably as far as the Church can go.

The parallel with the OoW is not 'dodgy'. It is instructive on many levels.

The OoW is arguably a much more important issue than blessing gay weddings. If we are wrong about the OoW then the stakes are high: are sacraments real? Are people ordained by a women real priests? How can we speak of a 'communion' that does have mutual recognition of orders?

If we're wrong about blessing gay people then what are the consequences? Is the fabric of the church torn? If yes, it's only because we let it be.

Similarly, the ordination of gay people is nowhere near as big an issue as the OoW: gay men are men. The worthiness of the minister doesn't affect the efficacy of the sacrament. I'm not arguing for an ordination free-for-all, bishops and priests should set a wholesome example etc etc- but if a man is ordained who you don't consider to be 'moral' you can't doubt the 'reality' of the sacraments.

Scripture says a hell of a lot more about women than it does about gay relationships. I think there are bigger scriptural barriers to the Oow than there are to the ordination of gays or the blessing of gay relationships. If you can make the journey to ordain women, then the gay issue is a piece of cake.

You hold up the process that lead to the OoW as being the model to which we should conform the gay debate. Perhaps the CofE didn't indulge in illegal ordinations.. but do you not think that the 'illegal' ordinations in the US helped push the issue up the agenda? If something is believed to be right.. if the Spirit's in it, then it's difficult to put a lid on it. If the Windsor recommendations had existed 30 years ago we wouldn't have had the OoW.. we'd still be waiting.

So why is it that we have the OoW? Why is it that we've managed to use our reason to re-understand Scripture and Tradition for this issue, but not gays?

My hunch is simple: most people (even conservatives, fundamentalists and bigots) have wives and daughters and mothers and so on. The issue is hard to ignore. But it's easy to pretend gays don't exist. Because gays are a small minority, they make a convenient issue around which the conservatives can unite.

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Similarly, the ordination of gay people is nowhere near as big an issue as the OoW: gay men are men.

And gay women are women. (Half the folk who flog this dead horse do seem to obsess about buggery.) But that is a different debate.

If this officating priest had said, I am performing a marriage because of my faith and conscience I believe that is the right thing to do - it would be a different situation.

I still think that forcing the issue at this particular time may do more harm than good - but I would have more confidence in it being an inspired act.

But what this guy did, was conduct something that looks like a wedding, smells like a wedding, and maybe he even thinks was a wedding - but then say; wedding ? who me ? no it was a blessing, entirely within the norm of our practice ? why are you all staring at me ? how dare you question me ? nana na nana, you can't touch this (cue mc hammer music), you can't touch this ! I ain't employed by nobody but God, kiss my finely cassocked ass. Or press releases to that effect.

With OoW people were not dressing women in vestments and getting them to do communion - changing two words of the liturgy, and then claiming it was OK cos they were just Deacons sharing an agape meal in a way that just happened to be almost identical to a service eucharist, did they ?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016