homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Meet the FOCAs... (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Meet the FOCAs...
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
The issue is one of attitude towards sin. I'm a bit of a fat bastard myself, but I accept that eating too much is wrong, on a number of levels and for a number of reasons, and it's something with which I struggle on a daily basis (alright, weekly, maybe). What I don't do - and what I'm not free to do - is to pronounce that which is sinful as 'good'. That's the difference.

Bad analogy, because of the "too much" part. Gay people have to cut out gayness entirely; there's no question of being gay in moderation.

BTW, you are pronouncing sin to be good, although you don't know it. Gay people are told every day that good - loving another person - is evil and that evil - repentance for loving another person - is good.

It's all really very twisted.

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zwingli:
quote:
Oh, and I'm well aware that it's a dead horse, so I know we will never have a meaningful discussion on the topic, but the whole "the Bible doesn't really condemn homosexual practice, it's just that everyone in every denomination misinterpreted the Bible for two millennia, until sometime in about 1970 we worked out what Saint Paul really meant" crap is total, unmitigated bullshit, and everyone on both sides of the debate knows it. You're only lying to yourselves, and I doubt you even manage to honestly convince yourselves, which is why intelligent discussion of the topic is impossible.
All those long sermons, which you are so proud of having listened to, seem to have equipped you well for the task of engaging in theological debate. Or possibly not.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
quote:
The issue is one of attitude towards sin. I'm a bit of a fat bastard myself, but I accept that eating too much is wrong, on a number of levels and for a number of reasons, and it's something with which I struggle on a daily basis (alright, weekly, maybe). What I don't do - and what I'm not free to do - is to pronounce that which is sinful as 'good'. That's the difference.

Bad analogy, because of the "too much" part. Gay people have to cut out gayness entirely.

No, not the gayness but the same-sex activity.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Missed edit window) a better analogy then would be one of my uncles: he drank too much in his youth owing to an over-fondness to alcohol which has resulted in his liver being damaged so much that he's been told by the medics never to have a drink again. He still has that over-fondness for alcohol and indeed it may be hard-wired into his genes but he hasn't touched a drop for over 5 years. Thus 'too much' has, for him, become 'nothing at all'.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
quote:
As is the racist comparison.

I'm not sure it is, Matt. The movement for recognition and full inclusion of gays within the church was the result of reflection upon the way in which the church had excluded other groups, including other races.
Says who? I don't remember anyone making that comparison back in the 1970s and early 1980s, when there seemed to be more discussion on these issues in church than there is now.

I thought it was the result of gay men and women coming out and wanting to be treated equally - not any reflection on anyone else's part at all.

Yes, I meant "more discussion" then than now. There is a weird disconnection between real chruches and their media representation. Nowadays almost no-one ever mentions this whole business in church or in church meetings. What we see is a lot of journalists telling us that we are obsessed with homosexuality, or with sex in general, when in fact it is almost never talked about at all.

Not where you live, I guess. But certainly where I live it's a regular topic of discussion -- more so at church than outside church, in fact, since outside church homosexuality is generally accepted.

I think that this may, indeed, be a pond difference. I can certainly relate to ken's point that it is pretty well absent from the pulpit. Funnily enough, the one occasion that I can rember this happening was with the self-same Sandy Millar, usually a gracioius and avuncular speaker, and again it was a sort of "snide-aside" thing, very out of character for him, I would have thought.

When I was in a more conservative church than that which I now attend, I can't remember it ever being raised, except once in conversation over coffee, where a stony silence ensued, and once at a social evening, where, amongst my group of friends, gay relationships were looked on with acceptance. I just assumed, I guess, that everyone considered it a topic of such low importance that it didn't really figure on the radar at all. Perhaps wrongly, I guess I assumed that most people shared my view, whereas maybe most people assumed that I shared their, more critical, view.

Nevertheless, we did, at one stage, examine the Tony Higton video material (a particularly conservative CofE vicar and prime mover in the attacks on +David Jenkins) and the overall consensus was that even the most mild mannered of the congo wanted to punch his lights out as soon as his face appeared on the screen.

All this was prior to the elevation of +VGR, so I suspect that might have brought the situation to a head, somewhat.

I guess things may be different away from the cities (I live near Manchester, which has a high profile gay community) but I think that, locally, there is near total acceptance outside the church for gay relationships. IME they raise as much of an eyebrow as finding out that someone supports Manchester City (the other soccer team in Manchester).

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Missed edit window) a better analogy then would be one of my uncles: he drank too much in his youth owing to an over-fondness to alcohol which has resulted in his liver being damaged so much that he's been told by the medics never to have a drink again. He still has that over-fondness for alcohol and indeed it may be hard-wired into his genes but he hasn't touched a drop for over 5 years. Thus 'too much' has, for him, become 'nothing at all'.

Well, the best analogy of all would be heterosexual relationships. Some are given the charism by God of celibacy, but for others there is a legitimate place where sexual intimacy is not only allowed, but celebrated. I don't think that the validity of that analogy is challenged by a half dozen or so references of uncertain meaning in Paul's letters.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Not so uncertain given the weight of Church Tradition in interpreting them.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
Not so uncertain given the weight of Church Tradition in interpreting them.

This would, maybe, be the same Tradition that allowed the transporters of slaves in the 18 century to claim that they were doing nothing sinful?

The point I am making is that unless we have the courage to examine our presuppositions, how are we to allow the Holy Spirit to lead us into all truth. We each of us have a spiritual journey, where we change over time. I see no reason to think that the same thing is not true of Tradition. Unless Tradition allows for this, then it becomes moribund, I'm not saying that this gives us the right to rewrite Tradition in our own image, but I am saying that the church is to relate to society as it is, not as it was in the 1st, or 5th or 16th or 19th centuries. At each of those times in history, the change in social and societal conditions were spurs to a reinvestigation of what scripture has to say, and this reinvestigation led to Tradition experiencing change. That change has to start somewhere. I suggest that the best place for it to start is a prayerful listening to the Holy Spirit, but that doesn't rule out prophetic action necessarily.

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
This is a link to a letter written by some Oxford clergy setting out the reasons for their opposition to +John's appointment. I've explained time and again this point of view over the years on SOF - it seems that no-one is listening.

It's not that we're not listening - but that the letter confirms what we're saying. Jeffrey John was considered unacceptable as a bishop because he was an openly gay man. The bit about him 'disrupting the common mind of the House of Bishops' is too stupid to require further comment, as our bishops differ over this issue and most others, including some which are actually important. A straight man whose attitudes were the same as his would have been acceptable - and, as has been pointed out, actually was acceptable in the event.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

JJ, even accepting that your analogy of slavery is close to the present issue - which I don't - any prophetic action revising Church Tradition in the way described needs to be taken by the Church as a whole, not just a faction doing their own thing in clear defiance of...er...the whole Church.

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible to have a 'prophetic action' which is taken by the whole of the Church?

In any case, what Church are we talking about here? The obvious ones of parish, diocese and province have been rejected. Why should the Anglican Communion, a loose affiliation of historically tied yet independent churches, being the measure of 'the Church'? And if it is, then where does that leave all the other differences within us? Or the OoW for that matter?

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

I was talking in terms of the Anglican Communion and, in answer to your question, "why should it", my fear is "maybe it shouldn't".

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
JJ, even accepting that your analogy of slavery is close to the present issue - which I don't - any prophetic action revising Church Tradition in the way described needs to be taken by the Church as a whole, not just a faction doing their own thing in clear defiance of...er...the whole Church.

I wasn't claiming that the issue of slavery, per se, was analogous to the issue of gay relationships per se (though I think they are closer than I guess that you would), but merely the way in which Tradition can change over time whilst remaining true to the Gospel, and the role of prophetic action in bringing that about. It's not as if "It's the natural order of things, it has always been thus, St Paul sanctioned it" were arguments unheard by Wilberforce et al. The point is that we can be blind to certain implications of the Gospel, and the Holy Spirit has, from time to time, to draw attention to that blindness, and to bring about a change in Tradition to rectify it.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

The slavery analogy is not for me...er...analogous because there was no Church 'rule' forbidding the freeing of slaves* or the campaigning for the abolition of slavery; the Church at the time 'merely' (how lightly that word trips off the keys!) tolerated the existence of slavery. In due course of time, the Church came to see that the Clapham chaps were right and changed it's stance, and it may well be that it will do the same in due course with the New Hampshire chaps, which will of course pose an interesting dilemma for the likes of me! But in the meantime, the New Hampshire chaps are breaking ranks by doing something that the Church has specifically forbidded and are defying ecclesiastical discipline in a way that Wilberforce and Co never did.

[ETA-*to clarify, here I meant manumission as opposed to violent liberation a la John Brown]

[ 02. July 2008, 11:34: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

So would Wilberforce's actions have been wrong if the Church had officially endorsed slave-ownership as in accord with the Gospel?

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

But it did effectively endorse it, didn't it? I suppose a more difficult question for me to answer would be if Wilberforce had gone around like a violent slave liberator and thus broken the civil/criminal law in defiance of the Church's backing for the same.

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt -

What about St. Francis, Martin Luther, or even *gasp* St. Paul? All three of them started down a path when the Church around them disagreed with them. What made their actions different? Why are they celebrated for deciding that Tradition should be changed?

(I'm sure there were others, but those come to mind quickly...)

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

The examples are good ones, albeit ones outside of the immediate contemporary context of the Anglican Communion. Of the three, Luther is the one who causes me the most problems, I guess, at first blush since both St Paul (Council of Jerusalem) and St Francis (+++Innocent III) had their actions subsequently commended by the Church pretty quickly. So that leaves Luther, who creates something of a problem for me in that his actions were not endorsed by the (Western) Church; however, unlike the present case, he did have a fair weight of Tradition on his side - as well as Scripture - as well as his beloved St Augustine and other ECFs, he also had more recent luminaries such as St Anselm on his side, and his break with Rome was about his insistence that the western Church revert to teaching as it had in the past and drop what (he at least perceived to be) recent innovative practices; he did not demand that it teach something which it had never taught before. The stance of the 'provisional NH wing' of TEC, on the other hand, seems to me to be, "Tradition is either wrong or needs to be reinterpreted (as does Scripture) on this subject, and the Church has consistently got it wrong for the last 2000 years. Sorry, but this customer ain't buying.

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Another bad analogy. His "over-fondness to alcohol" has damaged him, and will kill him.

Gay folks merely desire love and companionship, as 99% of human beings do. Our "fondness" is really just fondness, and results in the betterment of our lives and happiness.

It is not good, after all, for the man to be alone.

(Hint: there isn't any good analogy. This one's a one-off, and the Church has been wrong all these centuries; and many people's lives and psyches have been severely damaged; sometimes they committed suicide or were killed by others. Don't worry: the Church has been wrong before; it taught some very nasty things about Jews, for instance, which also resulted in much damage. Also on the basis of Scripture, BTW.)

[ 02. July 2008, 14:25: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
The examples are good ones, albeit ones outside of the immediate contemporary context of the Anglican Communion. Of the three, Luther is the one who causes me the most problems, I guess, at first blush since both St Paul (Council of Jerusalem) and St Francis (+++Innocent III) had their actions subsequently commended by the Church pretty quickly. So that leaves Luther, who creates something of a problem for me in that his actions were not endorsed by the (Western) Church; however, unlike the present case, he did have a fair weight of Tradition on his side - as well as Scripture - as well as his beloved St Augustine and other ECFs, he also had more recent luminaries such as St Anselm on his side, and his break with Rome was about his insistence that the western Church revert to teaching as it had in the past and drop what (he at least perceived to be) recent innovative practices; he did not demand that it teach something which it had never taught before. The stance of the 'provisional NH wing' of TEC, on the other hand, seems to me to be, "Tradition is either wrong or needs to be reinterpreted (as does Scripture) on this subject, and the Church has consistently got it wrong for the last 2000 years. Sorry, but this customer ain't buying.

I don't think that anyone is asking you even to be a customer. You must sort out what you believe on this matter before God, as must I. I am not asking you to change your view, (though, clearly, I would be delighted if you did).

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

The use of 'customer' was unfortunate and smacks of consumerism, I guess; what I meant by it is that I'm being asked to remain in communion with those whose practices I regard as sinful. That gives me a problem.

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
The use of 'customer' was unfortunate and smacks of consumerism, I guess; what I meant by it is that I'm being asked to remain in communion with those whose practices I regard as sinful. That gives me a problem.

We are asked to remain in Communion with people whose actions and attitudes we regard as sinful.

And we do. Since, after all, all Christians - all people - are sinners.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure there are a lot of people, individually,with whom I am in communion, whose practices I regard as sinful. But I don't see that as a good reason to break communion. Pacifist Anglicans don't declare themselves out of communion with those in the military; those of us who have reservations about the morality of modern capitalism don't break communion with Anglican in the City or mulitnational companies. For some (possibly pretty murky) reason, it only seems to be homosexuality that produces this reaction.
So my advice, MB, is just to live with it. By all means argue your corner, if you feel so strongly about it; but do so from within the bounds of communion and, we hope, thus of fellowship and mutual humility.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Pole Vault:
quote:
Originally posted by the_raptor:
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Pole Vault:
Being gay is not like wanting to commit adultry or whatever. It's not the orientation to do 'naughty things'. It's an orientation to love and to want to be loved in a particular way.

And the difference between being gay and being a polyamourist is?

The fact that you even pose that question speaks volumes. Why not go the whole hog and ask how homosexuality differs from paedophilia?
Thanks for not understanding the difference between consensual and non-consensual relationships. Oh, and also marking yourself out as a bigot by comparing polyamoury with paedophilia.

Now, answer the question. Why are you accepting of monogamous relationships and not non-monogamous ones? Why are the FOCA's being called exclusivist hate mongers for not accepting gays, but it is okay to exclude polyamourists?

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE] There is a weird disconnection between real chuches and their media representation. Nowadays almost no-one ever mentions this whole business in church or in church meetings. What we see is a lot of journalists telling us that we are obsessed with homosexuality, or with sex in general, when in fact it is almost never talked about at all.

Not where you live, I guess. But certainly where I live it's a regular topic of discussion -- more so at church than outside church, in fact, since outside church homosexuality is generally accepted.

As it is here, more or less.

In practice Christians, even Evangelicals, do as well. Even those who do not think a homosexual partnership is the same thing as a marriage and do not think they should be marked in the same way in church.

quote:

We discuss what the Bible says about homosexuality on a regular basis. I lead a newcomer's class four times a year at my church, and someone asks about the church's interpretation of those six or seven verses dealing with same-gender sexual relations every single time.

As far as I can remember I have genuinely have not been part of such a discussion in church for about twenty years. We used to talk about it, then we stopped.

But then maybe I would if I went to newcomer's classes. (Which at our place are Alpha courses.)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Now, answer the question. Why are you accepting of monogamous relationships and not non-monogamous ones? Why are the FOCA's being called exclusivist hate mongers for not accepting gays, but it is okay to exclude polyamourists?

Because polyamourists are not being utterly deprived of marriage and companionship, and gays are? Seems simple enough, to me. It is not good for the man to be alone.

Gay partnerships are exactly the same thing in every way as heterosexual ones are, with one exception that has no effect on what marriage is: the union two people who dedicate their lives to one another and to whatever children (or others) may become part of the family. Not at all the same thing as polyamoury, which explicitly breaks the "faithful, monogamous" definition (and essence, I believe) of Christian marriage.

[ 02. July 2008, 17:03: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly here, Matt, but it seems that you are saying that what I interpreted your primary beef with ssm to be (ie unilateral action in the face of a lack of communion wide consensus) is, in a sense, secondary to your willingness to share communion with those who view these matters differently. Is this last statement of yours the your definative position? As I have said, I can appreciate a difference in view about the appropriateness or otherwise of a specific action by a specific group of people, such as the bishop and people of New Hampshire. I have certain reservations about that myself, though I think it hardly a communion breaking issue. But to refuse to share communion with others because you have an honestly held theological difference with them (ie the licitness of homosexual acts within a marriage-like committed and covenanted relationship) seems to me quite another thing. How do you reconcile that with Paul's warnings in Corinthians about failing to discern the body of Christ in communion? Isn't the logical upshot of this that you are actually saying that those who hold the contrary view are not Christians at all.

--------------------

Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just think it's terribly sad that there are some in the Anglican Communion, most notably in what's sometimes referred to as the 'Global South' who are prepared to sacrifice the church's unity over an issue which is barely mentioned in the Bible and over which there's unlikely to ever be a consensus. Although I'm no Biblical scholar by any means, I'm very certain that Our Lord said nothing whatsoever in the Gospels about what grown up people who love each other choose to do in private. He did say a great deal about His followers loving one another and he prayed at some considerable length that they 'might be one' - united so that the world might believe. As a non-Biblical scholar, the only reference to homosexual practice that I'm aware of is in Romans Chapter 1 and it's by no means clear exactly what the writer's saying because he doesn't offer any elaboration on what is the briefest of brief statements. Even people who claim to have a scholarly knowledge of the Bible and, trust me, I'm not one of them, are by no means agreed as to what's referred to - hence the current situation. It is all very sad.

[ 02. July 2008, 21:07: Message edited by: Adrian1 ]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You do realize that's your opinion (and the Western Protestant church's) for Luther. Ask a Roman Catholic or an Orthodox about the changes that Luthur brought about in Christianity and they will surely say that Luthur changed Tradition.

St. Francis certainly didn't go ask the church anything when he started. He simply did what he felt he had to do (and then got brought up to the church authorities after he ticked the local ones off). He started a new church without asking. He just decided that it had to be done (as he felt that the church was excluding people), so he did it.

And read much of Paul's writings and you see that the Jew/Gentile problem wasn't easily or quickly solved and Paul had to continue to push and pull against Tradition in order to get it changed. We see it as pretty clear cut. They didn't.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

As it is here, more or less.

In practice Christians, even Evangelicals, do [accept homosexuality?] as well. Even those who do not think a homosexual partnership is the same thing as a marriage and do not think they should be marked in the same way in church.

How is this supposed to cash out in practice? If I've understood your post correctly (correct me if I have filled out the square brackets incorrectly), you're suggesting that UK Christians are generally accepting of homosexuality. This implies (to me, at least) that there should be some way for gay and lesbian Christians to regularize their relationships in the eyes of the Church, whether or not this is actually identified with Christian marriage. But there are uncontradicted statements on this Board that Anglican clergy in the UK are allowed to bless (e.g.) nuclear submarines but not gay couples. What gives?

While I'm at it, AIUI, isn't the "innate vs. acquired" issue mentioned upthread really just one aspect of the general position now generally taken by the mental health community that the mental health and general well-being of gay and lesbian people is best promoted by intimate relationships that are consistent with their underlying sexual orientation? There is a sort of teleological argument from nature here that deserves to be given weight in any theological analysis -- arguably a much better teleological argument than the "perverted faculty" argument favoured by some kinds of natural law theorists.

Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gay partnerships are exactly the same thing in every way as heterosexual ones are, with one exception that has no effect on what marriage is: the union two people who dedicate their lives to one another and to whatever children (or others) may become part of the family. Not at all the same thing as polyamoury, which explicitly breaks the "faithful, monogamous" definition (and essence, I believe) of Christian marriage.

And the FOCA's would add "between a man and a woman" to "faithful and monogamous", and they would have extensive biblical support for that definition. Even if you argue away any biblical condemnation of homosexuality, you are left with the fact that every mention of marriage is in the context of heterosexuality.

And who says polyamourists can't be faithful inside their larger definition of "marriage" or "committed relationship"?

Pure bigotry. Gays are "people like us", and polyamourists are outsiders and scapegoats.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
— Firefly

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, an opposition to polyamory is not "pure bigotry." Monogamy is the clear Biblical standard; polygamy (or, more rarely, polyandry) leads to all sorts of problems. True equality is hard enough for a couple; it's impossible for larger groups.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Monogamy is the clear Biblical standard; polygamy

Heterosexual monogamy is the clear Biblical standard. If homosexual monogamy is permissible it certainly isn't clear in the Bible. The reasoning for accepting gays, is that it is okay as long as it is monogamous ("people like us"). Bigotry.

--------------------
— Firefly

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
And the FOCA's would add "between a man and a woman" to "faithful and monogamous", and they would have extensive biblical support for that definition. Even if you argue away any biblical condemnation of homosexuality, you are left with the fact that every mention of marriage is in the context of heterosexuality.

And who says polyamourists can't be faithful inside their larger definition of "marriage" or "committed relationship"?

Pure bigotry. Gays are "people like us", and polyamourists are outsiders and scapegoats.

So you would argue that gay people should never go on a date, or hold hands with a beloved, or kiss someone they love, or dedicate themselves to caring for another human being.

How do you defend this? Particularly given the fact that God Himself says, upon watching Adam among the creatures, that "It is not good for the man to be alone"? Why are you advocating exactly the opposite thing? You are violating a clear Biblical standard; how come?

(BTW, polyamourists are permitted all those things. Oh, unless they're gay, of course....)

[ 03. July 2008, 03:37: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
So you would argue that gay people should never go on a date, or hold hands with a beloved, or kiss someone they love, or dedicate themselves to caring for another human being.

No, I would argue that gay Christians should live celibate lives. Just as some heterosexual Christians do (eg if they can't find a Christian spouse).

Oh, and you can dedicate yourself to caring for another human being without needing to fuck them.

quote:
How do you defend this? Particularly given the fact that God Himself says, upon watching Adam among the creatures, that "It is not good for the man to be alone"?

And so God created Woman, and Marriage. Why didn't he just make another Man? Not exactly compelling argument.

quote:
Why are you advocating exactly the opposite thing? You are violating a clear Biblical standard; how come?

There is a clear Biblical standard that everyone needs to be in a sexual relationship?

quote:
(BTW, polyamourists are permitted all those things. Oh, unless they're gay, of course....)

The polyamourists I know wouldn't be satisfied by monogamy. Just like other people aren't satisfied by celibacy.

I don't think the highest priority of Christians is to be satisfied and fulfilled in this world.

--------------------
— Firefly

Tubifex Maximus
Shipmate
# 4874

- Posted      Profile for Tubifex Maximus   Email Tubifex Maximus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
I just think it's terribly sad that there are some in the Anglican Communion, most notably in what's sometimes referred to as the 'Global South' who are prepared to sacrifice the church's unity over an issue which is barely mentioned in the Bible and over which there's unlikely to ever be a consensus. Although I'm no Biblical scholar by any means, I'm very certain that Our Lord said nothing whatsoever in the Gospels about what grown up people who love each other choose to do in private. He did say a great deal about His followers loving one another and he prayed at some considerable length that they 'might be one' - united so that the world might believe. As a non-Biblical scholar, the only reference to homosexual practice that I'm aware of is in Romans Chapter 1 and it's by no means clear exactly what the writer's saying because he doesn't offer any elaboration on what is the briefest of brief statements. Even people who claim to have a scholarly knowledge of the Bible and, trust me, I'm not one of them, are by no means agreed as to what's referred to - hence the current situation. It is all very sad.

I can only agree with you, Adrian1, I'm still mystified as to why this is even after Zwingli's reply to my earlier post.

quote:

I'm still more mystified by this. I'm not aware that the church sanctions polyamoury, apart from the fundementalist LDS. It's true that polygamy is to be found in the early part of the bible. In any case this is a difference of catagory, isn't it? A gay man or a straight man may choose to be polyamourous or Monogamous while remaining gay or straight. You seem to be confusing nature with choice.

--------------------
Sit down, Oh sit down, sit down next to me.

Posts: 400 | From: Manchester | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such a mini-schism as we are witnessing has the undoubted advantage of making easily identifiable the pharisaic neanderthals who equate books of rules with the spirit of Christ, just as the interminable threads like this do amongst Shipmates, many of whom seem to find my sex life a subject of enormous fascination - a feeling that is certainly not reciprocated.

Perhaps Lambeth will harden the lines, such is surely to be hoped, so that the FOCAs can flounce and build a little wall around themselves to protect themselves from contamination. Such a wall would have the added advantage of protecting those of us who take the commandment to love one another seriously from being distracted by arguments as to who or what is worthy of love within a FOCA framework.

Of course my being willfully and gratuitously offensive, if I am so judged, will not help any cause but then on this and similar threads I have been subject, albeit by proxy, to so much willful and gratuitous offence that frankly my dear I don't give a damn!

Perhaps Fred Phelps will now become a FOCA - let's face it, he has all the credentials!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
quote:

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly here, Matt, but it seems that you are saying that what I interpreted your primary beef with ssm to be (ie unilateral action in the face of a lack of communion wide consensus) is, in a sense, secondary to your willingness to share communion with those who view these matters differently. Is this last statement of yours the your definative position? As I have said, I can appreciate a difference in view about the appropriateness or otherwise of a specific action by a specific group of people, such as the bishop and people of New Hampshire. I have certain reservations about that myself, though I think it hardly a communion breaking issue. But to refuse to share communion with others because you have an honestly held theological difference with them (ie the licitness of homosexual acts within a marriage-like committed and covenanted relationship) seems to me quite another thing. How do you reconcile that with Paul's warnings in Corinthians about failing to discern the body of Christ in communion? Isn't the logical upshot of this that you are actually saying that those who hold the contrary view are not Christians at all.
With respect, there seem to be a couple of conceptual conflations going on above:-

1. The conflation of belief and practice. Opinion is one thing; the fact that I am in disagreement with other Anglicans as to whether same-sex sexual practices are sinful creates its own problems of course between us but not of the same order of magnitude as actions: the Anglican Communion has essentially (Lambeth 1998 and the Windsor Covenant) asked for certain actions not to be taken, and its discipline has been ignored. To give you a Catholic example, I know quite a few Catholics on the progressive wing of that Church who disagree with the Magisterium over issue such as the DH under discussion here, plus ordination of women and celibacy of the clergy; however none of these individuals would dream of eg: ordaining an practising homosexual, or a woman, or a married individual, in defiance of that Magisterium (or at least if they did they realise that they would be putting themselves beyond the pale). Rather they hope and pray (and talk) that the Magisterium will change tack on these issues. It's the hearty "f*** you" that certain parts of TEC and AC-Can have said to the rest of the AC that is, as I see it, the primary and potentially communion-breaking issue

2. Conflation of 'not being in communion with' with 'not regarding others as Christians'. Most of my mother's family are Catholic. As such, thanks to their Magisterium, they are not allowed to regard themselves as being in communion with me, yet none of them regards me as anything less than a Christian (as far as I know!). I guess that that is what I am possibly saying about the NH crowd and their supporters - they're Christians (as far as I know anyone to be Christian) but I'm not sure that we're still in full communion with each other as part of the same Church. Dunno. [Confused]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:
quote:

You do realize that's your opinion (and the Western Protestant church's) for Luther. Ask a Roman Catholic or an Orthodox about the changes that Luthur brought about in Christianity and they will surely say that Luthur changed Tradition.
Yes and no; the Augsburg JDDJ certainly makes for interesting reading, at least from the Catholic POV

quote:
St. Francis certainly didn't go ask the church anything when he started. He simply did what he felt he had to do (and then got brought up to the church authorities after he ticked the local ones off). He started a new church without asking. He just decided that it had to be done (as he felt that the church was excluding people), so he did it.
Really?? I wasn't aware that St Francis had started a new church. What's it called?

quote:
And read much of Paul's writings and you see that the Jew/Gentile problem wasn't easily or quickly solved and Paul had to continue to push and pull against Tradition in order to get it changed. We see it as pretty clear cut. They didn't.
But no separate ecclesial body emerged - it was thrashed out through consensus.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
2. Conflation of 'not being in communion with' with 'not regarding others as Christians'. Most of my mother's family are Catholic. As such, thanks to their Magisterium, they are not allowed to regard themselves as being in communion with me, yet none of them regards me as anything less than a Christian (as far as I know!). I guess that that is what I am possibly saying about the NH crowd and their supporters - they're Christians (as far as I know anyone to be Christian) but I'm not sure that we're still in full communion with each other as part of the same Church. Dunno.

I'm not sure that the two situations are equivalent. It's one thing to say, "It's not permitted for me to take communion in your church because I am a Catholic, and canon law forbids it" and quite a different thing to say "It is, in theory, possible for me to kneel next to you at he communion rail, but I am choosing not to, because in my view you are living a lifestyle of which I do not approve." The second of these scenarios seems, to me, to run perilously close to violating 1 Cor: 11:29. We are all one body because we all share one bread. Refusal to do this sort of implies that you don't think that they are part of the same "one body" as you are.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

I think the two situations are more equivalent than you'd like in that behind the Catholic canonical prohibition lies the same sort of reasoning. So, is +++Benedict guilty of not discerning the body of Christ?

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
I think the two situations are more equivalent than you'd like in that behind the Catholic canonical prohibition lies the same sort of reasoning. So, is +++Benedict guilty of not discerning the body of Christ?

Well, not him personally. Exclusive communions are the product of history, and the result of the Church missing the mark in past times, and, to be frank, neither side in either the Great Schism nor the Reformation can claim to be without responsibility. I do think that exclusive worship should be a source of sorrow rather than of pride, and look forward to the day when we can all share communion together. So I don't think that we should use the fact that the body of Chist is already and tragically divided as a way of defending futher fractures in it.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think they are equivalent - in one the sole criterion is membership of the (relevant) Church, whereas in the other the judgment is down to the individual. For example, one Catholic might completely disapprove of another Catholic's lifestyle and consider it completely contrary to the teaching of the Church. However, the question of whether the second Catholic should receive Communion is for that Catholic's conscience, under the guidance of his/her priest: it is none of the first Catholic's business.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

But here we have a bishop of the AC saying and doing that which the AC has said 'no' to.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
But here we have a bishop of the AC saying and doing that which the AC has said 'no' to.

Does that give you the right to refuse to share communion with him. I'm not sure how whether the person with whom you are refusing to share communion is a Bishop or not is at all germane to the question. It's your attitude towards him/her that will surely be the deciding factor for you?

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Returning to the Catholic parallel, the analogy there would be if say, +Crispian Hollis (the nearest Catholic bishop to where I'm typing) were to announce that he was living with his male partner and that he saw nothing wrong in that. What advice would you give a Catholic as to whether +Crispian was in full communion with him or her?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt, over on the Were Peter and Paul's views on sex anachronistic? thread we've been discussing the theology of homosexuality, and the NT verses concerned are not that cut and dried. They are far more ambiguous and have been interpreted differently at different times in history.

I would agree that the Leviticus and Deuteronomy verses are far more unequivocal, but there are an awful lot of unequivocal verses in Leviticus and Deuteronomy that are accepted to have been superseded by the teachings of Jesus. The ambiguity here has all arrived post Jesus, in the schism in Acts 15, when a number of OT laws were reintroduced by one group, and in the Pauline letters. Now divorce, that was within the teachings of Jesus, but not homosexuality.

And in answer to your question about a bishop in an open gay relationship - he has not been invited to take part in the Lambeth conference.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
Returning to the Catholic parallel, the analogy there would be if say, +Crispian Hollis (the nearest Catholic bishop to where I'm typing) were to announce that he was living with his male partner and that he saw nothing wrong in that. What advice would you give a Catholic as to whether +Crispian was in full communion with him or her?

Would not the Catholic response be that the efficacy of the sacrament is not affected by the worthiness of the minister. Of course, I think the Knights of St Columba would no doubt pay him a pretty swift visit! (joke!!). I thought (you probably know better than me) that refusing to receive from a duly appointed priest was regarded as sinful in Catholic teaching? But, as I say, the situation wouldn't arise, because the said priest would be suspended.

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

quote:
quote:
Really?? I wasn't aware that St Francis had started a new church. What's it called?

Small c church not big C church. He started another church to serve the poor and needy in his community because he did not believe that the church in his community was actually spreading the gospel to them because they weren't the "proper" people to have around. He didn't break with the big C church, nor ever meant to (Of course, neither did Luther...)

quote:
quote:
But no separate ecclesial body emerged - it was thrashed out through consensus.
Which took time. Time that neither side in this seems to want to have. All decisions must be made NOW not in a year or two after people have had time to calm down and to look at things with clear and level heads (and have the time to study scripture and pray for the promptings of the Holy Spirit - Who seems to have been lost in all of this...).

[ 03. July 2008, 12:30: Message edited by: PataLeBon ]

--------------------

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
Originally posted by Tubifex Maximus:
quote:

I'm still more mystified by this. I'm not aware that the church sanctions polyamoury, apart from the fundementalist LDS. It's true that polygamy is to be found in the early part of the bible. In any case this is a difference of catagory, isn't it? A gay man or a straight man may choose to be polyamourous or Monogamous while remaining gay or straight. You seem to be confusing nature with choice.
You seem to believe that people choose to be polyamourous.

Lets rephrase it a bit:

"A gay man or a straight man may choose to be celibate or not celibate while remaining gay or straight. "

Why do people dismiss that? If you can choose between monogamy and promiscuity, why can't you choose between celibacy and being sexually active?

Bigotry. You can understand why gay people would struggle to remain celibate, but you can't understand why some people can't stay monogamous.

--------------------
— Firefly

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016