homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Congregational Settings of the Eucharist (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Congregational Settings of the Eucharist
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

- Posted      Profile for Magersfontein Lugg   Email Magersfontein Lugg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use Common Worship (modern language) at our worship, and for some time we have used the music of Gregory Murray.

Now we'd like a change.

What we'd like is:
a) Nothing complicated
b) Using Common Worship texts
c) Music readily available, and preferably in a version too which could be given to some in the congregation.

We don't have a choir as such, but do have some singers who will lead worship from the front sometimes.

Thoughts and ideas very welcome, please.

Posts: 104 | From: Bottle Street | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We tend to rotate our settings by season, and include DGM (which everyone seems to love!).

The other ones we use are
- Thorne, Mass of St Thomas,
- Paul Inwood (The Gathering Mass, I think)
- Lourdes Gloria
- Peter Jones Coventry setting
- Missa de Angelis Kyrie

All easy to sing and popular

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up with the Addington Service (in unison) as a congregational setting. It was originally for ASB but has been adapted for Common Worship. I will leave others for whom it was less formative to comment on its quality.
http://www.rscmshop.com/rscm-composers/richard-shephard/shephard-addington-service-common-worship-order-one-full.html

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most commonly used in Australia is the Dudman setting which congregations find simple. However,our choir gets a litle bored with it because it isn't challenging enough.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use the Dudman for Sung Eucharists - as bib says, it is widely used in Aust, and is easy for a congregation. I'd be surprised if it did not fit your Common Worship, most of the text would be identical.

For Choral Eucharists, we used use an English Folk Mass - fairly sure that this is the one at the back for NEH. Again, it is easy for the congregation. I am not sure where such sections as the Gospel Acclamation, Eucharistic Acclamation and Doxology come from. For some time now, we have been using another English setting, very logical, and easy for the congregation but with a bit more interest for the choir than the Dudman.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Healey Willan.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an Anglican Folk Mass at the back of the New English Hymnal which is easy to sing, once you get used to it. It is seen as a modern replacement for Merbecke and Shaw.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go to the RSCM (Royal School of Church Music) for advice.

If nothing else, they sell copies of Merbecke and the Missa de Angelis which have been adapted to the words in Common Worship.

They publish at least a dozen different settings - there's a newish one by Peter Nardone (Mass of St Cedd) and others that are tuneful (Philip Godfrey Mass of St James seems to be well received).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Healey Willan.

YMMV but our experience is not for congregational singing - to which our congregation would add listening.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

- Posted      Profile for Magersfontein Lugg   Email Magersfontein Lugg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Go to the RSCM (Royal School of Church Music) for advice.

If nothing else, they sell copies of Merbecke and the Missa de Angelis which have been adapted to the words in Common Worship.

They publish at least a dozen different settings - there's a newish one by Peter Nardone (Mass of St Cedd) and others that are tuneful (Philip Godfrey Mass of St James seems to be well received).

Thanks for this l'organist. I'm sure that could well be a good way to do it.

However, I was wondering what 'grassroots' opinions are - what works in your church, kind of thing. (rather like what GeeD just posted).

Anyone use Missa da Angelis or Merbecke for their congregations week on week?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The music director wrote his own setting for Common Worship, and that's what is used here.

I've sung other things elsewhere.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

I am sure that some local musicians have composed some really good work for their own congregations. As curiosity ... suggests.

But! We have people come and go at our church and don't want to do that but rather use something people arriving may have heard of before or people going may find elsewhere. Also a setting thats bright and encouraging.

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Healey Willan.

YMMV but our experience is not for congregational singing - to which our congregation would add listening.
Indeed, YMMV.

Willan is the default mass setting when there is no choir at Our Lady of Hardwork.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

Thanks - Could I ask -
Is it a good, and easy to learn, setting, silent acolyte?

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Healey Willan.

AKA the Second Communion Service in the Hymnal 1940? In regular use at my shack (1928 words, of course [Smile] ).

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on the service:

For family service we use something called The Wiltshire Service by Richard Shephard (sometimes using an alternative Gloria); family service uses simplified confession, eucharistic prayer as recommended for a liturgy with significant number of children, etc.

The rest of the time the routine is:
Advent - Parish Mass Dom Gregory Murray
Christmas-Epiphany & Easter - Harold Darke in F
Lent - Addington Service/ Byrd Mass for 4 voices
Ordinary Time - Grayston Ives for Rite A of the ASB/ Wiltshire Service

Where it is an either or the deciding factors are (a) other service music and (b) choir numbers.

But there are plenty of churches out there who do the Murray week in, week out - I can even think of one that does the same Alleluia and gospel responses throughout the year - not surprising since they don't vary eucharistic prayer either.

Of course, we also have full choral Matins once a month as the main service, plus a full Evensong is now established.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

We tried the Wiltshire Setting on Sundays 1.3 and 5 for a while, but generally it was not popular. There are quite a few tricky patches for a congregation to manage. I liked the manner in which the Lord God, Lamb of God in the Gloria were thrown into the sharp contrast they are.

On those Sundays, we now use another English setting which is much more popular. It is just so easy to sing and logical as well. Sing it once and you know it. It came to us without a name.

Sundays 2 and 4 see the Dudman - again straightforward and easy for a congregation.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magersfontein Lugg:

Anyone use Missa da Angelis or Merbecke for their congregations week on week?

Our local Cathedral uses Merbecke (if memory serves) but that's obviously with the 1982 Scottish Liturgy rather than Common Worship. It's easy enough to pick up and they provide music for the congregation.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are actually using Dudman one month and the Schubert setting the next month with quite a deal of congregational acceptance. We tried adding the Philip Aston, but the cong wasn't impressed as it is a bit more difficult. Some years ago we were also using the Salisbury quite happily, but it hasn't been looked at recently.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lincoln Setting by Malcolm Archer

I have never sung it but I heard it on Radio 4 one Sunday morning and liked it sufficiently to look it up on line. It seems to be within the abilities of the average congregation. It sets the words of Common Worship, Order One.

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not Missa de Angelis, but Communion Service IV in the Hymnal 1940 is the Gregorian Missa cum jubilo. We use it during penitential seasons.

We have a Russian ordinary that we use for festive occasions; our default on green days is Willan.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liturgylover:
We tend to rotate our settings by season, and include DGM (which everyone seems to love!).

The other ones we use are
- Thorne, Mass of St Thomas,
- Paul Inwood (The Gathering Mass, I think)
- Lourdes Gloria
- Peter Jones Coventry setting
- Missa de Angelis Kyrie

All easy to sing and popular

We have used the Lourdes and Coventry Gloria in the past with no problem. I think there may be more than one Inwood setting, but we sing the Gathering Mass now (in the new translation version) with piano and/or guitar and minimal prodding necessary.

[code]

[ 26. November 2014, 20:40: Message edited by: John Holding ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
James Macmillain's St. Anne's mass is good for congregational singing - no gloria though so especially suitable for Advent and Lent

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

The copy of the MacMillan Mass that I own has a Gloria - check it out with Boosey & Hawkes who publish.

Or are you thinking of the music he wrote for the papal mass?

--------------------

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The St Anne's mass is lovely and is used by Westminster Cathedral at its Saturday 6pm mass. Beautiful and easy to pick up.
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

Grateful for help so far received. Thanks.

But wouldn't that St Anne Mass if used at Westminster (RC) cathedral have the RC texts which arent Common Worship?

Lugg

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

But wouldn't that St Anne Mass if used at Westminster (RC) cathedral have the RC texts which arent Common Worship?

Lugg

Our copy has the Common Worship text.

I suspect that it was originally written for the new trans. of the RCs but adapted by music sellers.

I could check the publisher and whatever else is printed on our music copies of you want.

--------------------

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
Not Missa de Angelis, but Communion Service IV in the Hymnal 1940 is the Gregorian Missa cum jubilo. We use it during penitential seasons.

Missa Marialis: a festival service for the Holy Eucharist / adapted to the American liturgy and harmonized for accompaniment ; plainchant edited by Charles Winfred Douglas.
Douglas, Winfred.
New York: H.W. Gray Co., sole agents for Novello & Co., c1915.
[Axe murder]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Lugg

I attend the Saturday 6.00 pm vigil Mass at Westminster Cathedral, engagements permitting, which is most weeks.

Their in-house booklet of the settings used, including the St. Ann's Mass, contains the RC texts as authorised a couple of years ago and which are presently in use.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

I thought that the texts would not work for Common Worship, but I'd be interested to know of publication details for the CW version you say you have seen Leo. Thanks.

So many choices, so many ideas.

I take it Gregory Murray is well used.
Which is most popular after that do you think - its just that we dont want to use a version few churches use. Our people come and go so we want something they could well find somewhere else.

lugg

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

Murray is by far the most popular congregational setting round here in North London, with the Thorne Mass of St Thomas perhaps a distant second.
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

Thanks liturgylover

This website claims the Mass of St Thomas is 'arguably' the most widely sung setting in the UK. But then the website is by the composer [Smile]

Anyone else recommend this setting as a good alternative to Dom Gregory Murray

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thorne's Mass of St. Thomas is used regularly here, too. The congregation know it and join in well.

As an alternative, for variation, our Director of Music has written his own setting - it has taken a while to catch on, but now the congregation seem to accept it almost (but not quite) as much as the Thorne.

Appleford ('Apple Pie') seems to have dropped completely out of the repertoire - it was the most popular version 20 or so years ago.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

quote:
Thanks liturgylover

This website claims the Mass of St Thomas is 'arguably' the most widely sung setting in the UK. But then the website is by the composer [Smile]

Anyone else recommend this setting as a good alternative to Dom Gregory Murray

I think it would also be interesting to know if there is any alignment between mor/catholic churchmanship and mass setting. I have always been surprised when some relatively high anglo-catholic churches use paraphrase hymns for their mass settings, and similalry the number of more moderate parishes where traditional settings seem to rule.
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My theory is that (with many exceptions, especially the obvious 'shrines' like ASMS) most anglo-catholic churches are in the backstreets* and short of resources like professional organists and good choirs. MOTR churches tend to be the parish churches of country towns and middle-class suburbs.

*Although of course ASMS is in a back street, but not a typical one.

[ 06. December 2014, 16:01: Message edited by: Angloid ]

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

Regardless of musical resource they would all have some form of congregational mass setting.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
I thought that the texts would not work for Common Worship, but I'd be interested to know of publication details for the CW version you say you have seen Leo. Thanks.

It was revised in 2011 for the beatification of John Henry Newman and the new Roman mass. This is it.

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

I think thatb is a RC setting, Leo. The texts are different in the RC modern mass to those of Common Worship.

It seems from what people have kindly written that the Thorne Mass is the one to go for.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

It was written before the new translation.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

There is a setting that Peter Hurford did for Series III which can be adapted fairly easily. Just try not to morph into Pop goes the weasel during the Gloria [Snigger]

--------------------

TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think thatb is a RC setting, Leo. The texts are different in the RC modern mass to those of Common Worship.

It seems from what people have kindly written that the Thorne Mass is the one to go for.

If I remember rightly (I don't have a copy to hand) the only correction you need to make to St. Anne is to turn sins into sin in the Agnus Dei.

The other texts are the ecumenical texts, which were then shared by CW and the Missal.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Of course, I forgot the bl**d**g obvious:

A Community Mass by Richard Proulx (Rite A ICET texts) has 3 versions of the Kyrie, 2 of the Agnus Dei.

Its almost endlessly flexible, with everything from unison congregational lines to quite complex harmony lines; and has also been properly scored, mainly for brass and percussion but also strings, with 5 variations, plus organ. Published by OUP who have a hire service for the orchestral parts if you don't want to buy them.

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

Ah! Thats interesting l'organist. Thanks for that.

I was wondering how it - or others compares with Dom Gregory Murray. - Would it do, say as festival and Murray for Ordinary or...

What do you (kindly) suggest [Smile]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

There is a lot less of the Proulx if you just do the unison congregation part, but you can expand on it far more than the Murray.

I think it all boils down to how you want to use said setting. For my part, I wouldn't be happy with having one setting only for use every Sunday of the year - and congregations have far more capacity for learning and retaining music than some musicians give them credit.

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

So given the ones we talked about l'organist (or anyone else!) how'd you divide them in the church year.
E.g. Murray for general green season...

Thank you so much

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have yet to see a setting of the new texts that is nearly as gracious, or gently inspired, as Willan's Missa de S. Maria Magdalena (or several other settings, for that matter). Perhaps in time... However,

Of the settings in Lift Every Voice and Sing II, my choir and I chose David Hurd's Gloria (no. 241) and Grayson Warren Brown's Sanctus (no. 255) to introduce a few years ago. They are fetchingly melodic and have worn well. I'd put them up against anything in the Hymnal 1982.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

How to divide?

Well: I'd choose something simple for Advent/Lent - say the Addington Service, or Merbecke, or similar.

For Festivals: go for it - Haydn, Mozart, Schubert if you can do it well.

Eastertide/Christmastide - go for something like Grayston Ives.

There should always be space for something simply like Byrd's Mass for 4 voices.

If you feel congregation won't join in wait until its warmer and have a morning session (with free coffee, cake, etc) for congregation and choir to get together to learn new music.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The church I visited yesterday used a setting by How.

It does have a choir bit but this can equally be sing by the congregation.

The repeated refrain 'Glory to God in the highest' sounds a bit desperate after the 4th repeat.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin How wrote that setting for a confirmation service. He figured there would be a lot of visitors unfamiliar with the setting normally used, so the idea was that it could be led by the choir with easy responses for the congregation.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although Merbecke is popular amongst (very) old timers, it is actually rather difficult for newcomers to sing at first / second / third hearing (if they get that far).

'Repeat after me' settings are much better in this respect, not just for the mass, but also for eg. responsorial psalms.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016