homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » ‘Christmas in the Koran’ by Ibn Warraq

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: ‘Christmas in the Koran’ by Ibn Warraq
Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

- Posted      Profile for Motylos   Email Motylos   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
web page
I have just started reading Christmas in the Koran by Ibn Warraq, which looks at the Syriac language influences on the text of the Koran but also the Syriac Christian influences on the development of Islam.

Has anyone else delved into this?

--------------------
“Too often we assume that the light on the wall is god, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search.”
G’Kar, ‘Meditations on the Abyss’

Posts: 31 | From: Kernow | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Motylos:
web page
I have just started reading Christmas in the Koran by Ibn Warraq, which looks at the Syriac language influences on the text of the Koran but also the Syriac Christian influences on the development of Islam.

I get 'this web page is not available'

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this link

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How fascinating! Very interesting to read. Thank you.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

- Posted      Profile for Motylos   Email Motylos   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for the bad web-link — thanks for the right one, JoannaP.

--------------------
“Too often we assume that the light on the wall is god, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search.”

Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fascinating link. I was aware of some scholarly research going on, but it has been very low on my radar.

I have often felt that Islam needs its own reformation, and have prayed a long time for such research to become as widespread in Islam as Biblical Criticism was in the last couple of centuries. There is no doubt in my mind that Christianity now owes a lot to the form critics, historical, redaction, and textual critics. Although it was an uncomfortable time for some branches of church teaching (and still is for some I guess), it may have allowed extremes of Christian thought to understand each other (and other faiths) a little more.

As the article points out, Christian history has moved through times of excommunication and execution for different belief and dogma and took a long time to reach a point where we can begin to 'disagree well'. Islam seems a long way behind in this respect.

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

The book — a series of essays by different authors, and therefore different and differing perspectives —shows that the Koran is rather like prehistoric amber preserving an ancient insect, in that it encloses like a time capsule a period and branch of the Church that is otherwise forgotten or overlooked. This is the Church of the East, regarded as neither ‘Orthodox’ nor ‘Catholic’ by Imperial Rome. Christians are called ‘Nazarenes’, probably meaning Nestorians rather follows of Jesus ‘Nazareth’. These are the body of Christians who reached ancient China as well as Arabia. Diarmaid McCollough has a lot to say about this branch of Christianity in A History of Christianity: the first 3,000 Years. In the accompanying TV programme an ancient Chinese church, now a Buddhist monastery, was visited.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's several articles on this website making the same points about the lack of analysis of the Qur'an and other Islamic texts, and the importance of the influence of Judaism and Christianity.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Diarmaid McCollough has a lot to say about this branch of Christianity in A History of Christianity: the first 3,000 Years. In the accompanying TV programme an ancient Chinese church, now a Buddhist monastery, was visited.

It wasn't visited: the local people didn't let McCullough or the film crew in.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Diarmaid McCollough has a lot to say about this branch of Christianity in A History of Christianity: the first 3,000 Years. In the accompanying TV programme an ancient Chinese church, now a Buddhist monastery, was visited.

It wasn't visited: the local people didn't let McCullough or the film crew in.
I seem to remember there was an interview with someone who had visited the burch now turned Buddhist monastery on the programme — which ws what Inwas referring to, probably too loosely.

I have also started the very radical The Hidden Origins of Islam, edited by Karl-Heinz Ohlig & Gerd-R. Puin, which presents the early Arab expansion as Syriac-Christian origin based on the evidence of coinage and inscriptions. It is a fascinating re-examination of the history of the seventh century AD and afterwards.

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

- Posted      Profile for Magersfontein Lugg   Email Magersfontein Lugg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realise that Jesus is a prophet in Islam and great honour is given in Islam to Mary, the Mother of Jesus.

What about ther nativity stories - are they found in any form in Islam and do they signify any truth?

Posts: 104 | From: Bottle Street | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magersfontein Lugg:
What about ther nativity stories - are they found in any form in Islam and do they signify any truth?

Sort of - but Mary hides behind a bust to give birth on her own.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's - in some ways - a popularisation of Luxenberg's work which is very difficult to evaluate as few people have the requisite skills in all the languages involved.

It's mostly an application of the techniques of textual criticism to the Korean - so it is somewhat interesting to find conservative Christians so interested in them.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

- Posted      Profile for Magersfontein Lugg   Email Magersfontein Lugg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Hides behind 'a bust' ....?
Posts: 104 | From: Bottle Street | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds a bit far fetched to me.

I've never read the Koran, but I'm always very suspicious of anyone who says they've uncovered a completely new meaning hidden underneath a text that has a fairly clear existing meaning. It's a bit too like Dan Brown or those who claim to find encoded in the works of Shakespeare a secret message as to who wrote them.

I think this by Karen Armstrong might be more interesting.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
It sounds a bit far fetched to me.

I've never read the Koran, but I'm always very suspicious of anyone who says they've uncovered a completely new meaning hidden underneath a text that has a fairly clear existing meaning. It's a bit too like Dan Brown or those who claim to find encoded in the works of Shakespeare a secret message as to who wrote them.

I think this by Karen Armstrong might be more interesting.

Is it about a new meaning or a new understanding about how the text was constructed, with a process of editiing and redaction over some years rather than a single author whether (as in orthodox Islamic theology) God or (for the rest of us) Mohammed?

I was under the impression that the latter understanding was fairly uncontroversial among secular studies of Islamic origins, although one would probably be well advised not to work it into the conversation should one find oneself in Jeddah.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Mary In Islam"--Wikipedia. I particularly like the sections "Mary In Muslim Tradition" and "Arabic Titles". I knew they honored her, but not how much. *Some* Muslims even think of her as a prophet.

I went looking because I'd understood that some Muslims think the father of Jesus was some sort of spirit, like a djinni/genie. (They're acknowledged in the Koran, as basically another species created to worship God.) So far, though, I haven't found anything like that.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

I've never read the Koran, but I'm always very suspicious of anyone who says they've uncovered a completely new meaning hidden underneath a text that has a fairly clear existing meaning.

The thing is that there are some constructs in the Koran which don't appear to have parallels outside the Koran - and so in these cases the language itself is partially defined by the Koranic passages.

Much of the ideas of Luxenberg/Warraq are standard textual and redaction criticism though.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Hides behind 'a bust' ....?
bush - sorry

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My imagination was running wild

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Merchant Trader
Shipmate
# 9007

- Posted      Profile for Merchant Trader     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
web page

I might suggest a read of Hans Kung's Islam

--------------------
... formerly of Muscovy, Lombardy & the Low Countries; travelling through diverse trading stations in the New and Olde Worlds

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merchant Trader:
quote:
web page

I might suggest a read of Hans Kung's Islam
As a slight side-issue, what do you think of it, Merchant Trader? Is it worth getting? My impression was that it is more on the history of Islam.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016