homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » IngoB knows best (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: IngoB knows best
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Prophet, if you're going to create a zombie, you could at least do something interesting with it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why am I not suprised Orfeo?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But don't you know? Jokes about how Germans are orderly and regular are original. It's almost as original as existential anxt.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironically, I just came across a video of No Prophet being prodded about his valueless contributions to dialogue. He gave his standard reaction.

Turns out that he's cuddlier than I thought.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
But don't you know? Jokes about how Germans are orderly and regular are original. It's almost as original as existential anxt.

You must admit, that's an original spelling of "Angst" you've got there.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Ironically, I just came across a video of No Prophet being prodded about his valueless contributions to dialogue. He gave his standard reaction.

Turns out that he's cuddlier than I thought.

WTF?? You made me interrupt Medtner's 3rd violin sonata for that?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wish Bingo would come up with a new argument. I'm really tired of the "intent" BS he dumps into every discussion of homosexuality. It was unsupported/non-persuasive crap the first time he brought it in, and it's not any better supported nor persuasive now.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
I just wish Bingo would come up with a new argument. I'm really tired of the "intent" BS he dumps into every discussion of homosexuality. It was unsupported/non-persuasive crap the first time he brought it in, and it's not any better supported nor persuasive now.

IngoB is ordered to producing crap arguments about homosexuality. It would be morally indefensible for him to stop doing it, however much that would improve the general atmosphere and level of discourse.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Give him some slack - he tries hard and he is a recent convert so he spouts stuff that most cradle catholics don't believe and never have.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Give him some slack - he tries hard and he is a recent convert so he spouts stuff that most cradle catholics don't believe and never have.

How long does he have to be a Catholic before the "recent" goes away? I'm guessing his conversion was over 10 years ago from my (admittedly imperfect) memory.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How long does someone have to be an Orthodox convert before the 'recent' goes away?

I was at a conference where Metropolitan Kallistos Ware was speaking earlier this week and one of the young Greek guys told me that the good bishop 'still sounds Anglican'.

Bishop Kallistos was converted to Orthodoxy in 1958 ...

[Biased] [Razz]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
How long does someone have to be an Orthodox convert before the 'recent' goes away?

I was at a conference where Metropolitan Kallistos Ware was speaking earlier this week and one of the young Greek guys told me that the good bishop 'still sounds Anglican'.

Bishop Kallistos was converted to Orthodoxy in 1958 ...

[Biased] [Razz]

To Greeks, Russians "still sound Perun-ist."

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure I get the allusion, but I think I get the gist ... the Russians would 'johnny-come-latelys' right?

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I'm not sure I get the allusion, but I think I get the gist ... the Russians would 'johnny-come-latelys' right?

Perun was a Russian deity before they converted

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
How long does he have to be a Catholic before the "recent" goes away? I'm guessing his conversion was over 10 years ago from my (admittedly imperfect) memory.

It can take quite a while if said convert is too busy preaching to listen to fellow members of the religion.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:

It can take quite a while if said convert is too busy preaching to listen to fellow members of the religion.
I think after some point you lose the right to have people say of you, 'He can't help it; he's a new convert.' After that point there is some other reason, and convertitis cannot excuse your assholity. IngoB has long passed that point. His being an asshole about his faith can no longer be excused by the recentness of his conversion. It's just because he's an asshole, full stop. (generic "you")

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

You're mistaking the sociological definition of "Catholic" or "Christian" for the religious definition. In the former case, a person is what he identifies himself to be. In the latter, a person is defined by his conformity to his church's requirements.

Unless you are speaking sociologically (and I can't see the use of that in this context),a Roman Catholic isn't someone who believes things that "most cradle Catholics" believe. Catholicism isn't defined by what the majority of Catholics think or feel, but by the teaching of the Magisterium.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
It would be morally indefensible for him to stop doing it, however much that would improve the general atmosphere and level of discourse.

If IngoB didn't post then Dead Horses would become a liberal echo chamber in which we all agree how stupid and irrational conservatives are.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think after some point you lose the right to have people say of you, 'He can't help it; he's a new convert.' After that point there is some other reason, and convertitis cannot excuse your assholity. IngoB has long passed that point. His being an asshole about his faith can no longer be excused by the recentness of his conversion. It's just because he's an asshole, full stop. (generic "you")

I don't know why this thread is rising from the grave... but as far as I can recall, I have never used my conversion as an excuse for anything I have said on SoF, and I have never asked for a "newbie" bonus. Not now, and not in the past. Who is being an "asshole" on the various DH and Hell threads is in the eye of the beholder. But my personal position on homosexuality, and indeed on Christianity and Catholicism in general, has essentially remained the same for over a decade now. Clearly, there have been refinements and I have learned a lot, and to some extent I am also battle-weary. But by and large I see little to correct in my younger self concerning Christianity, just a more naive and unstudied but more enthusiastic and active me.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I think this is all terribly unfair. Anyone can be an arsehole. No doubt many think I am but that also goes both ways. People can be very condescending towards converts, that is from people who usually take their faith for granted.

[ 25. August 2015, 12:30: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
It would be morally indefensible for him to stop doing it, however much that would improve the general atmosphere and level of discourse.

If IngoB didn't post then Dead Horses would become a liberal echo chamber in which we all agree how stupid and irrational conservatives are.
Are you saying that IngoB hinders the cause of agreeing how stupid and irrational conservatives are?
Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

IngoB, it has nothing to do with your position. It's with your behavior. But you've been told this a thousand times before and are incapable of taking it on board.

At some point you may have to stop blaming your "beholders" and look at yourself.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At some point you may have to stop blaming your "beholders" and look at yourself.

I'm fine with who I am and what I do.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

Just goes to show how there's an exception to every rule.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

Most assholes are.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016