homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Give us a break, Miseryguts!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Give us a break, Miseryguts!
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had it with the miseryguts people today, they've got to me. From 'I'm not asking her (underlined)' to 'we used to do it properly', from vague questions which raise eyebrows when clarification is sought to tuts and 'didn't you know's' and miseryguts looks.

I don't want to shout or swear, I only want to quietly rant in exasperation and wish you'd all crack your face open by smiling and appreciating and giving everyone the best aspects of your characters instead.

I know that generosity of spirit is too much to ask, but at times the lack of it leaves me asking God for strength.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
I don't want to shout or swear, I only want to quietly rant in exasperation

You are a far, far better person than me. I do want to shout and swear. I mostly don't actually do it, but I really want to.

Recently our church was given a (fairly expensive but not new) monitor which will allow us to show photos/slldes/etc in the coffee area. I was excited and grateful. Other responses included "it must have come from a dusty house", "so and so won't use it properly", "it won't work", "the kids will wreck it" and "it will get broken." How hard would it be to be a tiny bit happy and grateful? Or, as the voice in my head was yelling "don't be so bloody negative, you miserable b**tards!"

This is just the current example, but it happens all the time "that'll never work", "we tried that and it was no good", "no point asking for help/money/whatever, it never does any good" and so on. It usually turns me into Pollyanna, but it can be so exhausting.

Anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harrumph!

Any church that invests in a new monitor to show slides in the foyer or whatever it is you call it deserves all the negative comments it receives ...

Is outrage.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope the kids do break it ...

[Razz]

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard this term before. Urban dictionary defines it as
quote:
A word describing a person who is against having any sort of fun at any time
Is that the usage here? if so, it's not quite how it's coming across.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pfft. None of this would have happened when the previous incumbent was here.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Indeed.

And if I'd read the response to the OP properly I'd have realised that it wasn't a new monitor, it was a second-hand one.

Makes no difference. It should still be destroyed ...

As for coffee ... pah! We ought to make do with water. It was good enough for St David ...

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh assembled Scrooges, crack a smile, for God's sake.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

What do you mean?

I am smiling ...

[Big Grin]

There is such a thing as irony you know. You can look it up online. The internet is good that way:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

Besides, if someone's a Scrooge, that's how they get their fun.

It's rather like the old joke about the two old Yorkshire fellas outside the Batley Frontier Club.

'What'd tha think to yon comedian?'
'S'alreet - for them's as likes laughin' ...'

--------------------

anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Pfft. None of this would have happened when the previous incumbent was here.

Yes, there is some consolation in the thought that the incumbent after next, in a few years time, will be hearing all about how great it was back when we were able to put up the photos of all our events for everyone to see. Before the Scouts broke the monitor.

Anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The present incumbent is never appreciated.

When one leaves his innovations leave with him, things reverting to how things were when the previous chap left (they were mostly chaps in those days.)

the innovations of the present incumbent will be accepted only when his successor leaves.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not just me then Anne. They don't usually get to me, but today they seemed to be coming at me from all sides, along with other irritations. I had to try hard to remember the people who were agreeable, but they were there too.

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
I've never heard this term before. Urban dictionary defines it as
quote:
A word describing a person who is against having any sort of fun at any time
Is that the usage here? if so, it's not quite how it's coming across.
A miseryguts is someone who always manages to reduce rather than lift the atmosphere whether being grumpy or sarcastic or negative or generally miserable in company.

I can name more than one who would say what Ricardus suggested.

Thank you Gamaliel for your tongue in cheek offerings. I wonder whether some people who can't smile are determined to wipe the smiles off of those who can. Perhaps it would cheer them up.....

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016