homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cats (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cats
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I was feeling tired this afternoon and in need of a nap. How is it that a double bed, large enough for two adult humans will only fit one cat.

Indeed.

I awoke this morning at 5 a.m. to find myself teetering on the brink of a double bed about to crash to the floor.

The rest of the bed was somehow fully occupied by a cat weighing roughly 6 pounds.

It's a gift. I guess.

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neighbour came around yesterday with a bag if cat crunch wondering if my cats will eat it because his won't. Said cat is now scoffing it in my kitchen [Big Grin]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have two cats. We got them from a local rescue Their mum was a domestic cat who was abandoned and found in a box in the street having just given birth. We got them a 8 weeks and they are currently teenagers at 9 months.

They are obviously the best, more beautiful cats in the history of all domesticated animals.

Best of all, one of them loves nothing better than to go under an upturned cardboard box and then walk / shuffle it around the floor. The other then prods/chases/leaps on the box.

Badger Gent has (yet unrealised) plans to turn said box into a dalek. We are just working out a plan to make it lightweight enough.

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i always used to have cats, but not now. And my sister and her husband have 2 cats now - very beautiful they are, femail.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Neighbour came around yesterday with a bag if cat crunch wondering if my cats will eat it because his won't. Said cat is now scoffing it in my kitchen [Big Grin]

Your neighbor needs to up his cat game. It’s probably not the crunch his cat was rejecting, but his temerity in Making A Change. I just moved my cat’s feeding area by about 3 feet, and now she’s gone on strike.

quote:
Originally posted by Badger Lady:

Badger Gent has (yet unrealised) plans to turn said box into a dalek. We are just working out a plan to make it lightweight enough.

Post pix when accomplished!

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

One of my church friends brought me packets of moist cat food in the hopes that Mama Cat would eat it. MC was so pleased! I'm glad that there are friends who share rather than throw unwanted food into the garbage!

Young Visitor Cat (a stripey yellow male) lives across the street. He has his own food from his people. Yet he wants to share MC's dry food every morning. What pitiful little squeaky meows he makes trying to ingratiate himself to me. [Roll Eyes] Yeah, I'm an easy mark.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat is also a tiny thing who manages to take up a whole double bed in some bizarre magical feat.
She also seems a tad bulimic. Any advice for a cat with puking tendencies who is otherwise fine and is a healthy size and suitably energetic?

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by not entirely me:
She also seems a tad bulimic. Any advice for a cat with puking tendencies who is otherwise fine and is a healthy size and suitably energetic?

Ours used to overeat and puke. Smaller portions more often was the only thing that worked.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

She also might be eating too fast. Try putting an inedible object in her dish, so she has to work around it; that'll keep her from gobbling, if she does.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by not entirely me:

You can get slow feeder cat bowls I know that they work for dogs [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been trying smaller portions but will look into the anti-gulping options.
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We came home today and found our orange cat lying comatose on the walk. When we brushed off the flies we saw that he was not yet dead, and so hauled him off to the vet. A urinary blockage is the diagnosis. This is going to be expensive.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda Clough, one of my cats had that some years ago. Yes, it was expensive, but worth it to have him back. About $2000.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had just gotten home from work, and I think he knew that there was no point in tottering out into view until then. My husband looked out and there he was on the walk. He must have known that he needed human help (ooh, down to my 9th life) and was able to drag himself out to where he could get it.
The vets have intubated him (draining the bladder) and shaved off much of his fur! The flies were laying eggs in his flesh, apparently anticipating his speedy demise. The vet has dug all the larvae out, oogh. Clearly worth $2000.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the first time ever, we have two kittens, both Abyssinians, from the same breeder. Annie is a usual (Ginger brown) now 8 months, and Solomon is a usual silver (Looks black but is actually white with a black top coat) and is 5 months. They stampede around tha house and play fight, but then curl up together. They are both very agile and take delight in balancing on stair hand rails or window bars.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda Clough - I hope he makes a speedy recovery; it's horrible when the furries are poorly [Frown]

Cats 1&2 seem to be adjusting to life with the new puppy. This time they're not going to be fooled by the initial small size - since she was already cat-sized when we brought her home - so are making sure they establish their superiority right from the start...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Poor Tiger is still immured at the vet. His bladder is only slowly improving, and they won't let him out until he quits peeing blood. If he isn't better tomorrow he will get an ultrasound, to see if Something Else Isn't Going On. There is a huge tradition in this country of animals falling desperately ill over national holidays (so as to maximize vet bills) and Tiger is keeping up the practice.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
For the first time ever, we have two kittens, both Abyssinians, from the same breeder. Annie is a usual (Ginger brown) now 8 months, and Solomon is a usual silver (Looks black but is actually white with a black top coat) and is 5 months.

Now I am very jealous!

I have, reluctantly, decided not to get a cat. We are having new furniture soon and I dare not risk it.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have 2 boy cats, Jai (the beautiful) and Bibi (his not quite so beautiful but far more intelligent brother). They are both Korats, (and ancient cat breed originating in Thailand - think "traditional siamese" in body shape, with a silvery grey coat and extraordinary green eyes) and Jai has been Best of Breed at the Supreme Cat Show on two occasions, so someone else thinks he is beautiful too!

Previous cats have been the siblings Cleo and Minou also Korats. They lived to a good old age, Cleo being 18 and Minou being 19yrs and 4 months old when they left. I miss Min, she was defiantly My Cat and would sit on me at every opportunity, invited or not. And she would sleep as close to me as she could...nice on a chilly night, less so on a hot sticky night. The girls got used to the boys as soon as they realised that kitten food was really rather nice....putting on a bit of weight at the time but it was worth it to see a heap of sleeping cats.

Before them, we had Catkin, a pretty little black and white cat who came to us as a 5 - 6 week old kitten from a market stall. She was our first cat, and, looking back, we didn't really understand cats very well. She was joined by Jehoshaphat, who had been abandoned near where I was working. He was a big lad, weighing 14 lbs at his heaviest, and he loved people. He was a black cat with green eyes, and is still referred to as "The Late Lamented". Catkin & Josh lived to somewhwhere between 15 - 16

We have a little white box upstairs, with 4 small tubes inside containing the ashes of Catkin and Josh, Cleo & Min. Whichever one of us dies first gets to have the cat's ashes buried with them.

I love my cats and cannot imagine life without a cat - preferably two, and four is even better! (Two kittens from the same litter to keep each other company and terrorise the senior cats...then, when there is only one senior cat left, there are hopefully three cats who know and like each other enough to be friendly and companionable together.)

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lady who bred one of our previous cats, Jasper, bred Korats as well as Abys. She now breeds chihuauas and Korats and has two young females which are doing quite well on the show bench in the south west of England - I don't know how far she is travelling to show them.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My cat Tiger is still immured at the vet. His urine is still tinged with blood, but if he can pass it without benefit of catheter I am going to plead to bring him home. We are having a national holiday, and if I don't liberate him this evening he will have to stay there until Monday. Not only would he intensely dislike this. Boarding him costs me $200 a day, which is more than it would cost me to house him in the best hotel in town.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016