homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inept drivers (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inept drivers
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Problem is, this area was built as cottages belonging to a nearby hotel that burned down in '26, and the preferred method of transport was probably walking. The old train station is just down the street, and no longer in operation [Waterworks] .

As for why we park on the sidewalks--95% of us prefer to suffer with muddy feet if we can just be sure the paramedics can reach us when we need them. (The remaining woman gets pleasure by calling the traffic cops on all of us, who go apologetically about ticketing everybody while assuring us in the same breath that they totally understand WHY we're parking this way, but they can't avoid doing their job once someone has officially reported it... I'm not at all sure she (our helpful fink) would be happy if we suddenly all became law-abiding parkers, as it would mean a) no more fun calling the cops on us, and b) she would not be able to get her car to her own driveway--what stops ambulances stops everybody else as well.)

Around here the problem is not muddy feet, but having to walk in the road and risk being run over.

Personally I think that car owners have a responsibility to park their vehicle such that it causes inconvenience to neither pedestrians nor the emergency services.

If this means parking half a mile away and walking from there, then so be it.

[ 13. November 2015, 10:26: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
And would someone please tell the same elderly ladies that if they are turning right (third exit or more) at a roundabout the left-hand lane on the slip road is not a good choice.

Except, for some reason, on the A34-M40 junction north of Oxford, where the road is laid out in exactly that way. I have no idea why, but it winds people in the middle lane up no end.

AG

Wot no sig?

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once had a friend who was a Minister in a small country town. Shortly after he had arrived, he was driving down the main street when a lady cyclist suddenly shot across the road and turned right into a lane, giving no warning.

My friend recognised the lady as one of his new flock, so on the Sunday challenged her about her dangerous behaviour. "Oh", she replied, "but everyone knows I turn right on Thursdays!" [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
In general, any driver who doesn't realize that his merge/lane change is his problem.

I was taught in my driving lessons that if you're driving down a motorway and you see someone indicating to join the motorway, you should move over one lane if it's possible to do so, in order to let them on.

Of course, if it's not possible to do so, it's another matter.

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, so was I.

Also there are enough places where people change lanes at the last moment as a consequence of inept lane markings - I can think of a few junctions where one or more lanes go somewhere specific, but the only clue to this is an arrow on the tarmac that is hidden underneath everyone's cars in the sort of conditions that make lane changes awkward.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The concerning thing for me on a recent trip was how everybody drove on the wrong side of the road...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today was the day that the inept gathered in one place. Mostly little old ladies looking for parking spots, who did not notice that someone was trying to manoeuvre out, or had pulled out of the way of that someone so drove past into the blocked way. The climax was in the supermarket car park where, for some crazy reason, someone drove the wrong way towards the stream moving towards the one way exit, on the wrong side.
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, that was me.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
The climax was in the supermarket car park where, for some crazy reason, someone drove the wrong way towards the stream moving towards the one way exit, on the wrong side.

I'll confess to driving the wrong way round a car park yesterday because some git had scratched the NO off the NO ENTRY sign ...

(Fortunately there was no one else about to post about it here.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Annoying Samaritans are inept drivers.

Car-driving human yields right of way to cyclist when said right of way should not be yielded. This Annoying Samaritan does not please the cyclist, was waiting for his turn, but rather angers other motorized humans who direct their anger at the cyclist. Which causes danger to said cyclist.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Car-driving human yields right of way to cyclist when said right of way should not be yielded.

I recently came across the 'rule' - "If you have the right of way TAKE IT". To be honest, I hadn't really thought about it before, but if it is not applied it leads to a lot of dithering at intersections. If you give way when you shouldn't (as no prophet's etc. points out) it causes more trouble than it's worth.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And at roundabouts. Bus drivers are the worst at this, often stopping when on the roundabout to let other buses onto the roundabout. Bad enough in normal circumstances, but I've seen it on roundabouts that have traffic lights, so it backs up traffic horribly.

I sometimes wonder if bus drivers are trained to bugger up the normal flow of traffic.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arch Anglo Catholic:
My late Great Uncle considered that third gear and upwards were ornamental only...

A much loved and respected member of our congregation (a paediatrician, she operated in the jungles of Vietnam in wartime) never learned to love the motor engine. I went with her to a lecture once and had to hold my tongue as she raced up the hill in bottom gear.
Stopped by a cop who'd observed her erratic driving on the way to the airport one day, she was asked when she had last drunk alcohol. She thought carefully and replied '1952'.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crunt:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
though it was barely wide enough for a wheelbarrow in places

The city I used to live in, in Korea, was constantly upgrading and extending roads. One particular stretch was a nightmare until I discovered a nifty little shortcut along the side of the river. It was all good until everyone else discovered it, too. One time, fed up of being stuck in queues along the river bank, I took another road to cut through a tiny hamlet that lay between the river and the new roads. 'Tiny' extended to the width of the lanes as well as the size of the population, and at one point my wing mirrors were scraping the house walls as I squeezed through.
Lesson Learned.
If I was a real local, I would have known already, but at least I wasn't fooled by gps / sat' nav' just my own impatience. Unlike visiting tour bus drivers who often get caught out by a certain steep and windy road in my hometown

Ah, Devon Street! Not the first time a bus has been caught. I wonder how often it happens. Why can't they read the warnings?

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up on a steep but not winding road. Only one lane, and the only exit was at the bottom of the hill. Houses on each side of the road had a drive. A couple of doors down on the other side of the street lived a schoolteacher and his family.

His wife wanted driving lessons, and he asked a driving teacher from the school to come by and provide some lessons. Said teacher got into a jam getting the car out of our neighbor's drive and managed to turn the car turtle in the middle of our road.

That was the most spectacular failure, but many times I've run down the road to bounce on some unprepared person's bumper to get them enough traction to get off the road.

This was in the early sixties, and the neighbor wasn't the only one who needed driving lessons. My mother had never got a driving license - her mostly urban life hadn't needed it. When she landed in the suburbs with three kids, she broke down and learned to drive.

She didn't get her license, though. In those days the California test required a demonstration of parallel parking skill, and Mom wasn't having any of that nonsense.

Finally the law caught up with her. She got a ticket. She went to court and fought the ticket and won. I think she was so well-prepared that she caught every one off guard. She drew diagrams and everything.

The judge dismissed the ticket and everything was fine until the bailiff coughed and said, "Your honor, there's still the matter of driving without a license."

Hizzoner just said "Mrs. M, go get your license."

She did, and drove for the rest of her life.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

When I was learning to drive my dad told me that the two types of drivers to avoid at all costs were nuns and men wearing caps.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Point of Order - there is no Right of Way. There is priority, but you should always be willing to yield your priority if doing so will avoid an accident.

A Right of Way does exist in English Law, but it's a completely different thing. It's the right, for example, I have to walk across the fields to the hospital in our village.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

I can think of a few junctions where at peak periods it would be impossible for anyone to get out if people on the main road didn't filter. Plus a few roads where it's impossible to turn in until the person waiting to turn out has ignored priority rules and done so.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been inept this morning. I have been parking my car in a nearby carpark since the footpath in from of my drive is being relaid. I tried to dash out and move it before the workmen turned up and blocked access to the carpark with their big grab lorry, but didn't quite make it. On of the men kindly moved their other lorry from where it was blocking me, which meant I didn't reverse quite as sharply as I would if he had stayed where he was, which meant that I scraped my bumper on the small digger bucket which lay on the ground close by where I couldn't see it. I had seen it when going to my car. I had forgotten it, while avoiding their tamping machine, which I could see.

It is a bit more damage than polishing and one of those scratch pens will deal with. I'll need some touch up paint - but the car is non-metallic white, so not too tricky.

Gar.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inept road design may help drivers be inept. Crossing as a pedestrian at a low frequency of use crosswalk this morning nearly had me stopped so northbound car could hit me because southbound car did not appear to be stopping. The inept is that this cross walk requires an illegal crossing of railway tracks - signed "No Trespassing" with various threats - but they built a crosswalk anyway for the adjacent road that only us illegals use. Without which it is a "you can't get there from here". Crazy!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
NEQ:
quote:
I had a great uncle who believed that driving straddling the white lines in the middle was the most fuel-efficient way to drive.
...whereas I always thought it was a political statement.

Or, if it's the Bishop's car, a theological statement (all Anglicans believe they are middle-of-the-road).

QUOTES FILE!

[ 21. November 2015, 00:26: Message edited by: Tukai ]

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reminded yesterday of another kind of inept driver--the one planning to go straight or turn left who pulls as far forward as possible when the light is red. This prevents the drivers in the next lane who can legally turn right on red from being able to see whether there are cars coming. [Mad]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And then you try to edge forward. And then they edge forward. I hate that, too.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
And then you try to edge forward. And then they edge forward. I hate that, too.

They all seem to drive big tall cars, too, to better block any chance of you being able to see. I haven't yet worked out what goes though their heads when they do that - I assume they're inept, and not just arseholes.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, it seems like the bigger/ taller the car, the more assertive they are about pulling forward. I don't necessarily think they are deliberately blocking the view, but it is like some little "SOMEONE IS SLIGHTLY AHEAD OF YOU" indicator goes off in the car, whether or not it directly effects their path.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

There is a point on the anticlockwise South Circular road in South London where the road has to jink left under a railway bridge. At the same place, two lanes which have come through two sets of traffic lights very close to each other reduce to one. This requires some care on the part of drivers, though often the ones in the outer lane will try to impose their wills on the inner lane.

Last night, I was, in the inside lane, behind a Smart car, one of those little ones slightly larger than a invalid scooter as we drew away from the lights.

When, suddenly, with no signal, the little car pulled left at an angle to the kerb and stopped. (There is a little nook at the spot which isn't in line with the carriageway.) I slammed on the brakes (also pulling in to get out of the traffic, having no alternative, and without any time to check what was behind me. Fortunately, the outer car, which had been going to pull in behind me (thank goodness) was also able to stop without impact. I was stuck behind a car whose actions I could not predict, while the rest began to move past, slowly.

As suddenly again, and with no signal, the Smart car moved off and tore up the road, forcing its way into the stream, and I lost touch with it. Like the train at Adlestrop, no-one got out, no-one got in the car.

Seriously inept on a fairly busy road.

[ 29. November 2015, 17:01: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016