homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Navigating IKEA

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Navigating IKEA
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a few weeks I am going on a Senior Center trip. The first place we will go is IKEA, which does not interest me. I signed up for the trip because we are going someplace else afterwards, and I am very interested in that other place. I want to be able to walk around that other place freely.

I have serious nerve damage in my feet, which means there is a limit to how much walking I can do. I have been to this IKEA before (it's in Charlotte, NC), and I found myself walking through all kinds of departments that did not interest me at all. We will be at IKEA at lunch time, which means I have to walk to the restaurant; otherwise I would find a place to sit near the door and read my Kindle.

Is there anyway I can find a direct route to the restaurant and then back to the entrance? I went to a different IKEA with my daughter once, and she made a beeline for what interested her. I know all IKEAs are laid out to make you walk through everything. Does anyone know any shortcuts?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo--

I haven't been to Ikea (yet). But many kinds of stores have scooter chairs for people who have difficulty walking. They're free to use. Maybe call the store ahead of time, to make sure? I wonder if they could put one aside for you.

And I may be wrong, but I think there are store maps on the IKEA site, and in the stores.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have often unintentionally found my way to IKEA restaurant when I was looking for toilets! There are maps, lifts too, and often shortcuts through archways etc.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know that particular IKEA, but I frequently find the easiest way to navigate IKEA stores is to enter through the exit (you can frequently see the elevators or escalators that will take you where you want to go from there).

AFAIK all of the stores have shortcuts. If the arrows are instructing you to go right, you can usually go left and skip the meandering. Alternatively, look for somebody in a blue vest and ask them the fastest way to get to the restaurant.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Avoid the showrooms and especially the market zone. As has been suggested, find the restaurant (which in the IKEAs I know best are close to the way in and way out) get a coffee or two and read an Improving Book about anything that doesn't involve Allen keys and cam bolts.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certainly my one experience of an IKEA store [multiple visits to the one at Warrington UK] the restaurant is right by the entrance and it is easy to use without involving a ten mile hike round everywhere.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take a left at Hämmerskvøldig then a sharp right around the Tügügürgen, then duck through the shortcut in the Zårvårkë department. A quick detour around the Minkinør and you're there!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent, not unlike most directions within IKEA]
Anyone else see that the founder of IKEA has just paid income tax in Sweden for the first time since 1973?
[/tangent, which in a store leaves you somewhere you didn't want to be]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember being at the opening of the Croydon store in London UK. We were herded (and my God, was it crowded!) along an interminable route through every department of the store. I left in a filthy temper. Don't do crowds very happily, and this was claustrophobic as well. So why did I go? With friends....

But now, store maps and shortcuts mean you don't have to suffer. Follow the advice given on this thread and you will be able to turn torture to relative pleasure. Especially if you like the meatballs.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was last in Ikea in 1992. Left quickly and I suspect this was before they had restaurants. Definitely no place to sit down. Fast food restaurants have never interested me, anyway. Still have the two pieces I bought there. Think it took about 20 minutes.

PS Do they give you an Allen wrench to assemble your own lunch? Just curious...

[ 03. November 2015, 12:28: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the original London one not long after it opened. It certainly had a restaurant then (with meatballs), also a hard-to-find short cut.

My son enjoyed going to the children's "ball room" although it was always vastly over-subscribed which meant long waits for parents.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No they had restaurants back in the late 1980s. That was when I used to go to the Runcorn one.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My local ones has the restaurant quite close to the entrance (and to the stairs) and the restaurant is signposted from the beginning away from the 'flow' of the traffic.

A good tip to look for the toilets - they are all (in my store) close to food areas.

Its peculiarly British, but this song is a must for such an occasion...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
[tangent, not unlike most directions within IKEA]
Anyone else see that the founder of IKEA has just paid income tax in Sweden for the first time since 1973?
[/tangent, which in a store leaves you somewhere you didn't want to be]

That headline isn't as sensational as it appears. The man simply didn't live in Sweden, but in Switzerland from 1973 to 2014, where he also paid taxes. He returned to Sweden after the death of his second wife (see also Wiki and other sources).

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I was aware of that, I expect he paid less tax in Switzerland than he would have in Sweden (a Swedish friend who used to work here, and regularly took the train to Sendai for his pilgrimage to IKEA, said that everywhere had lower taxes than Sweden) although that may not have been his reason for moving.

I wasn't planning to have a big discussion on it though (you may have guessed that from the jokey tangent tags).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Take a left at Hämmerskvøldig then a sharp right around the Tügügürgen, then duck through the shortcut in the Zårvårkë department. A quick detour around the Minkinør and you're there!

[Killing me] [Overused] [Killing me]

FWIW, in my experience, the restaurants are quite often fairly near the entrance, possibly up a flight of stairs.

Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

You've finally reached the köttbullar!
[Yipee]

(in obedience of the Ship rules, "köttbullar" means "meatballs.")

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I successfully navigated IKEA today. I got a map of the store and went straight to the restaurant. After I had eaten I found a comfortable sofa and read my Kindle for two hours.

Following the map, I went to the housewares department. I was looking for a very large bag clip. I have one which is about six inches long, and I would like at least one more. They had smaller clips but no big ones.

The trip was a success because my feet were in very good shape when I left IKEA.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I successfully navigated IKEA today. I got a map of the store and went straight to the restaurant.

Moo

I hope you had the Swedish meatballs!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
...After I had eaten I found a comfortable sofa and read my Kindle for two hours

The trip was a success ...

Moo

Any trip is a success if it involves two hours of reading in a comfortable spot!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Not to mention unlimited refills of (admittedly rather weak) coffee.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016