homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » OMG! There's no Jesus on this coffee cup! ATTACK! ATTACK! (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: OMG! There's no Jesus on this coffee cup! ATTACK! ATTACK!
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
You could probably widen the focus a little bit more; it includes obsession with the familiar ornamentation of childhood memories, as you note - but somehow carrying guns(!) also gets mixed up in there.

I think people like this guy drag guns into everything. I don't think the gun part particularly has to do with Christmas.

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
"Jesus = Christmas = holly on the coffee cups"

I think you've nailed it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Is it just me, or do others think that the logo on the 'Christless' Starbuck cup actually looks like Our Blessed Lady, Queen of Heaven, Virgin Mother of Our Lord, Co-Redemptrix et al ?

Yes. Or the former "Sun" editor Rebecca Brooks.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oo-er.....is it possible that the lovely Rebecca B. might just be our Co-Redemptrix and all that......? [Confused] [Help]

Back to the whisky bottle, I think. It's been a long day......

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
This sounds like a good idea for a Hallmark movie. A fellow goes in a coffee shop, notices a lack of Christmas spirit displayed on their coffee cups, tells the beautiful waitress about it and finds out she is upset about it, too. They convince the store to change policies and it ends with the couple becoming engaged to be married and as they start kissing each other the snow begins to fall.

You've left out an important part of the plot. The girl has been secretly trained by her dying father in combat skills. They have stashed a lockup garage full of heavy duty military hardware they have obtained by mail order. The couple find the coffee shop is a front for a conspiracy of left wingers, Islamic fundamentalists and corrupt multinationals to destroy not just Christmas but America itself. There's a fantastic shoot up involving spectacular visual effects before the couple destroy all the conspirators. Only then do they end up kissing as the snow begins to fall.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This "War on Christmas!!" nonsense starts earlier every year. If the war is on anything, it is on Advent.

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
This sounds like a good idea for a Hallmark movie. A fellow goes in a coffee shop, notices a lack of Christmas spirit displayed on their coffee cups, tells the beautiful waitress about it and finds out she is upset about it, too. They convince the store to change policies and it ends with the couple becoming engaged to be married and as they start kissing each other the snow begins to fall.

You've left out an important part of the plot. The girl has been secretly trained by her dying father in combat skills. They have stashed a lockup garage full of heavy duty military hardware they have obtained by mail order. The couple find the coffee shop is a front for a conspiracy of left wingers, Islamic fundamentalists and corrupt multinationals to destroy not just Christmas but America itself. There's a fantastic shoot up involving spectacular visual effects before the couple destroy all the conspirators. Only then do they end up kissing as the snow begins to fall.
That wouldn't be Hallmark, that would be Spike.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
So did Jesus plop down in the snow and make snow angels? And did they come alive, like the clay birds in that apocryphal story?

I was trying to think of a joke about snowmen along those lines.

Perhaps our Christmas Village needs a Snow Golem?

Such a thing is possible in Minecraft...
Snow Golem

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
VirginiaKneeling
Apprentice
# 18414

- Posted      Profile for VirginiaKneeling   Author's homepage   Email VirginiaKneeling   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Photo Geek:
This "War on Christmas!!" nonsense starts earlier every year. If the war is on anything, it is on Advent.

BOOM! Folks, we have a winner! [Overused]

And here in the States, it's not even Thanksgiving yet....*sigh*

--------------------
Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me..

Posts: 11 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So this Josh guy...

From his last name, I surmise he has some Jewish background. But he's a Christian, and a pastor at that. Which is absolutely fine.

But I wonder if that makes him feel he has to be more militant and defensive about anything Christian? "I'm a Christian! See? I really, really am! I'm so much for Christ that I make the big, nasty corporation say his name! See, God? See?"

[ 08. November 2015, 22:15: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Ah, excellent! If, while they are kissing in the new falling snow, would it strain credulity for the camera to be slowly pulled back and reveal a few zombies walking down the street with a couple of them eating a guy dressed as Santa?

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If, while they are kissing in the new falling snow, would it strain credulity for the camera to be slowly pulled back and reveal a few zombies walking down the street with a couple of them eating a guy dressed as Santa?

Kinda. Everything else in the movie falls under Poe's Law.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
quote:

That wouldn't be Hallmark, that would be Spike.
That would be Spike and Hallmark having a love child.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So this Josh guy...

From his last name, I surmise he has some Jewish background. But he's a Christian, and a pastor at that. Which is absolutely fine.

But I wonder if that makes him feel he has to be more militant and defensive about anything Christian? "I'm a Christian! See? I really, really am! I'm so much for Christ that I make the big, nasty corporation say his name! See, God? See?"

He's so Christian in fact that he drinks an Islamic drink. He must be strong in the faith to drink that which has been sacrificed to idolatorous Islam. But, has he no thought for the weaker brethren?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
After some thought I think this doesn't explain enough. Why is taking pine boughs off a coffee cup equivalent to taking Christ out of Christmas? Some explanation of this mindset should be attempted.

If you click on the 'as we reported earlier' link in Mr Feuerstein's post*, his reasoning is explained with admirable cogency.

One of his mates wrote to Starbucks to ask why the change, and the marketing department gave a response that included the words 'more open'.

Open = tolerant = political correctness = atheist Muslim Marxists taking away our guns QED.

* I do recommend this - the hilarity of the post is unbelievable.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If this Josh character could do that, there might be some merit in his activities. I'd even put up with him filming it. He may however fall under suspicion of becoming a "librul" by doing so.

As things stand though he seems to be doing a great job spreading the word for atheism.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really feel as if these stories are spread for any other reason, at this point, than to re-emphasize the narrow, small-mindedness of the Josh-y element of society. Certainly, now, this is not news of any originality or quality (not that the same couldn't be said of most news coverage, but that is a different thread). When the reaction of those of us who object to Josh-y views echo Josh's sentiments about an alleged annual assault on a Christian holiday, the circle has come fully round, and it's time to ignore such shouts as the misinformed, myopic Me-ism that it is.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(The Riv! Good to see you! I hope that you are keeping well.)

Good point about paying mind (or not) to the fringies and not getting entangled in the old, old cultural angst.

Don't Feed the Troll(s). [Disappointed]

Words to live by.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's always good to be a bit wary about joining in a pile-on, especially when the piled upon is an easy target like some obscure blog.

However(and yes, this could be read as apologia for my own involvement here), I think the blog in question was pretty symptomatic of the whole "There's a war on Christmas" mentality, which is a legitimate subject of criticism, given what a prominent aspect it is of holiday culture. It's not as if the people who complain about that incessantly are just going about minding their own business, they are clearly trying to put the issue front and centre. And are having a bit of success, judging by media attention.

The fact that the blogger thinks green and red hollies are a meaningful religious symbol might tell us something about how messed up a lot of the WOC crowd are. But I'd be interested to know how many of them would be as incredulous as we are at the shallowness of the blogger's critique.

[ 09. November 2015, 17:55: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, in related news, a British Conservative MP reportedly said (source):

“What is Christmas about?” he said. “It’s CHRIST-Mass.”

“This is utter madness. Who was the idiot who thought this up? He should be sacked!”

This latest outburst from the Outraged by Political Correctness Brigade follows (as mousethief said in the OP) a reported decision to replace "snowmen, stars, and other symbols" with a plain red design on coffee cups.

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone organise the Sweepstake for the first use of the "political correctness gone mad" phrase?

It is telling that Starbucks have made a commercial (is anyone under any illusion that the bottom line figures heavily?) decision to not go into the over-the-top smaltz of the months running up to Christmas, their defence that they provide a place of calm to escape the pressures of the season says loads about how over board the rest of the High Street is.

Come off it people, Starbucks is a place to take a wee break from the stresses induced by the commercial greed of the season. Starbucks? Shouldn't the churches be providing that place of refuge?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Starbucks is a place to take a wee break from the stresses induced by the commercial greed of the season. Starbucks? Shouldn't the churches be providing that place of refuge?

Might be interesting to compare the number of people in church on any given Sunday with the number of customers at the Starbucks just down the street.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's Christian about hanging fetishes on a tree?
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This image popped up on f***book this morning. Perhaps they should run it for Easter!
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Lyda*Rose!

I think, perhaps, that we're missing the whole point, here. Starbucks is simply bypassing Christmas to get to the really good and meaningful stuff: Easter. Like all comprehensive Christmas traditions, these plain, Blood-of-the-Lamb red cups merely point to the world's salvation through the full and final sacrifice of Jesus. Starbucks isn't fighting against Christians, it's actually leading their charge. It's not "Gloria in excelsis," but "Christus vincit!" Bless you, Starbucks, bless you!

[ 10. November 2015, 13:22: Message edited by: The Riv ]

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not heard of Josh before, so I thought it was a send-up until I watched his video and realised that it probably wasn't.

The thing that struck me most was that as well as wearing his Jesus tee shirt he carried his GUN! Peace on earth, Josh, and all that crap [Eek!]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Starbucks is a place to take a wee break from the stresses induced by the commercial greed of the season. Starbucks? Shouldn't the churches be providing that place of refuge?

Might be interesting to compare the number of people in church on any given Sunday with the number of customers at the Starbucks just down the street.
some of ours go to have coffee before mass

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alwyn:
Meanwhile, in related news, a British Conservative MP reportedly said (source):

“What is Christmas about?” he said. “It’s CHRIST-Mass.”

“This is utter madness. Who was the idiot who thought this up? He should be sacked!”

Bu-bu-bu [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

I was just beginning to think that a.) Stetson is right and b.) how splendid it is to be British where the religious nutcases are lower-profile, and then I read that article.

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] I WANT TO BE A BUDDHIST AND LIVE IN ICELAND [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's not to like about them? A nice, bright red - the correct liturgical colour for Kingdom Season - with a picture of the Blessed Mother of Our Lord, to remind us of the Incarnation.

Full marks to Starbucks, IMHO (as long as they alter the colour to purple or blue from Advent Sunday).

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
What's not to like about them? A nice, bright red - the correct liturgical colour for Kingdom Season - with a picture of the Blessed Mother of Our Lord, to remind us of the Incarnation.

The Mother of Our Lord is a Siren?
[Eek!]

(Apparently a single tail is a mermaid, a double tail is a siren.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pigwidgeon: The Mother of Our Lord is a Siren?
[Eek!]

Some Afro-American religious expressions identify her with a siren.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son spent a year in Palestine, Ramallah, to be precise. It actually snowed twice while he was there so, yes, it could be theoretically possible that as a boy Jesus may have had the chance to build a snowman, though there is no record of it, not even in the Gospel of Thomas.

Just today Starbucks announced that it was contributing $350,000 to Lutheran World Relief for the purpose of helping to develop sustainable farming communities in the coffee and cocoa growing regions. Here is the website for their foundation which explains their charitable giving program

http://www.starbucks.com/responsibility/community/starbucks-foundation

Of particular note to me, since I am a veteran having served in the United States Air Force is their commitment to hiring up to 10,000 veterans in the next few years.

If people want Merry Christmas on their cups they can put it on themselves, but, in my book, I think Starbucks is honoring the Christmas spirit with their charitable giving.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

- Posted      Profile for Ikkyu   Email Ikkyu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Pigwidgeon: The Mother of Our Lord is a Siren?
[Eek!]

Some Afro-American religious expressions identify her with a siren.
Yes! Google Yemaya and Saint together and look at the images. But Oshun who is not a mermaid is more commonly identified with our lady of charity.
Posts: 434 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rarely go to Starbucks but in trying to put myself in the place of a local Starbucks store owner it seems the cups are a great idea. They are red and green. Those are generally accepted as Christmas colors. That will work during the Christmas season. What do I do with left over cups after Christmas? Use them. What's wrong with a red and green cup? Having lots of Christmasy decorations on a cup in the middle of January might send the message to folks that the business is hurting.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ikkyu: But Oshun who is not a mermaid is more commonly identified with our lady of charity.
It varies a bit from place to place. Where I live in Brazil, the siren Yemaya is identified with Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, and Oshun with Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, wot I sed anyhoo.....

I.

[Paranoid]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
[Waterworks] [Waterworks] I WANT TO BE A BUDDHIST AND LIVE IN ICELAND [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

By your command:

Buddhism in Iceland (Wikipedia).

[Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark Rothko's War On Christmas.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
My lover meets me among the cedars,
Yea among the trees of Lebanon.
For lo, he comes prepared to delight me
With hanging balls he meets me there
--Second Song of Solomon 1:1-2

This is the second time in a week that I've spewed my coffee all over my keyboard! And it sounded so 'authentic' that I did a double-take on the last line.

Off to find a coffee-proof keyboard (if such exists?)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Hmmm...Protestant Bibles don't have 2nd Song of Solomon. If they did, my childhood fundie church would've had some interesting sermons...
[Biased]

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A protest that involves the outraged giving money to the company they hate?

Anyone else suspect this is manufactured outrage so everyone can play another round of 'let's laugh at the idiot Christians?'

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Starbucks has certainly gotten more free publicity from this than they could possibly have dreamed. Great marketing strategy.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Anyone else suspect this is manufactured outrage so everyone can play another round of 'let's laugh at the idiot Christians?'

Poe's law is always in play in these sorts of situations, but it's no more idiotic than any of the rest of the alleged "War on Christmas". They can't all be fakes.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Sorry, my "believe stupid conspiracy theories" module is at the shop.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
My son spent a year in Palestine, Ramallah, to be precise. It actually snowed twice while he was there so, yes, it could be theoretically possible that as a boy Jesus may have had the chance to build a snowman, though there is no record of it, not even in the Gospel of Thomas.

Snow isn't unusual in parts of the Southern med - but enough snow to make a significant covering is a 20-50 year event.

But this is all irrelevant, of course. Snow at Christmas is a romantic fantasy invented by Europeans. And popularised by Dickens.

[ 11. November 2015, 07:18: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Starbucks has certainly gotten more free publicity from this than they could possibly have dreamed. Great marketing strategy.

It's also brought their tax avoision schemes into focus, which isn't so good for them.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A protest that involves the outraged giving money to the company they hate?

Wait.. what?

quote:
How are you thinking this is happening? Are you saying some journalist at the New Yorker notices something on his starbucks cup and whips up his own story which explodes onto social media?

It can happen (cake anyone?).. but it does require willing acquiescence of the outraged. So for this to become a story, it actually needs someone to make outraged statements about it.

If a journalist kept phoning up religious leaders and politicians for comment and they just replied "huh, that's not a story, stop wasting my time", he'd soon stop. Like isn't long enough to force a story that nobody is biting on.

Unless you are the Daily Mail, of course.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

If you were with the Daily Mail you wouldn't bother phoning anyone. You'd just write the story and not worry about whether there's any truth in it.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Off to find a coffee-proof keyboard (if such exists?)

They do (other models are available).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So this Josh guy...

Or he could just be a prat.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

That, too.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016