homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » World Book Day

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: World Book Day
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In honour of World Book Day, you’re invited to name one (1) book you’d recommend to others as a really good read.

Just one (1) please. Yes, it’s hard to choose just one (1). But fiction or non-fiction, that's fine: something you particularly enjoyed for whatever reason. The only criterion is it has to be a book and it should have impressed you. Tell us a little about why you think it’s great.

I’ll kick off with "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling. It’s the story of a young orphaned Irish lad growing up in India in the days of the British Empire, who has all sorts of adventures and gets recruited by military intelligence while accompanying a Tibetan lama who is on the search for a holy river. The book is classed as children’s fiction but works on more levels than one, and is still good on an adult level: you can see Kim’s development from streetwise cynic to a more mature young man who begins to genuinely care about his companion, and the lama, who appears unworldly to naïve in the beginning, is revealed as less so than he appears. And the book is full of wonderful little glimpses into life in India. This is one of my lifelong favourites.

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Goldfinch by Donna Taart

An obvious choice maybe, but while reading it it quickly became my life, every spare moment I wanted to pick it up, and when I had finished I was evangelistic in telling everyone they should read it!

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. This book is full of wonderful characters (nice and nasty) and has one of the most moving death scenes I know.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Outsider by Albert Camus

A very short read, it's a great study in what it feels like to be 'different'. If you don't react to certain events in the way society expects you, it is easy for you to quickly become an outcast.

Plus, it's an exploration in how the writer manipulates the reader into variously siding with one side and another.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
T.H.White's The Once and Future King, four short novels under a single cover. It's the story of King Arthur, and is set in the late Middle Ages, where it's the Normans and Plantagenets who are fictional, and Arthur's England is real.

There are two great things about this book. The first is the quality of White's prose - it's so visual you can almost feel the warm sunlight on you, smell the forests.

The second great thing is White's passion for an England he thinks vanishing around him, and which he projects onto this medieval ideal. It's romantic, whimsical, wnd so beautiful you come away thinking it should have existed.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By Grand Central Station, I Sat Down and Wept by Elizabeth Smart.
I read it years ago when I was passionately in love and the depiction of the sheer insanity of 'love' resonated hugely.

Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
The Outsider by Albert Camus

A very short read, it's a great study in what it feels like to be 'different'. If you don't react to certain events in the way society expects you, it is easy for you to quickly become an outcast.

Plus, it's an exploration in how the writer manipulates the reader into variously siding with one side and another.

Couldn't agree more, a book I like to read every few years!

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things, by Jon McGregor, is my usual for threads like this.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sipech: The Outsider by Albert Camus
The Meursault Investigation by Kamel Daoud is a brilliant Algerian reaction to that book.

Let that be my recommendation then.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things, by Jon McGregor, is my usual for threads like this.

Care to elaborate a little?
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to be different, and inject some non-fiction into the mix, I'm going to nominate "Journey to the Edge of the World" by Billy Connolly. It's a TV series tie-in book, and details his journey along the Northwest Passage for a TV series in 2009. It's full of beautiful photos on every page (I like ebooks, but this is one where you definitely need paper, and this one has shiny paper so even better) of places I'm never likely to see in person, and his thoughts on the places and people he meets are both funny and profound. It's a beautiful book, I absolutely loved it.

Dafyd, can I second Ariel's request for an explanation of why you love "If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things"? I have to admit, when I read it I found it quite ordinary (although as I am the only person I know who's read it and not utterly raved about it I'm prepared to give it another go sometime, as it might just have been me rather than the book!).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some good choices here - I remember getting my ex-husband to read Kim. He was a bit dubious to start with, and then got very enthusiastic. "It's like a fantasy novel, only real!" he said.

I've actually just been filmed for a local blog - A Book A Day In Hay - recommending a favourite book, which I re-read so it was fresh in my mind.
It's Intervention by Julian May, which I love because the main character is a second hand book dealer, and because of the use of the theology of Teilhard de Chardin as the human race comes to the point where the watching aliens think we are ready for First Contact, as psychic powers become more common. Rogi, the book dealer, is part of the psychically powerful family which becomes the most important family on Earth.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to read Wives and Daughters. Alas, I need to read so much. I will throw in another nonfiction book: The Better Angels of Our Nature, by Stephen Pinker. His thesis is that, despite everything you might see in today's newspaper, the human race is actually getting less violent and more decent over the long haul. He backs this up with more data than you would believe possible. One of those books that you close and immediately send up a fervent prayer, "Oh Jesus, let Stephen Pinker be right!"

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The Edwardians' by Vita Sackville-West.

A well-written look at the Edwardian era, as seen through the eyes of a young duke of nearly-unimaginable wealth and position. The book manages a rather complete look at the hierarchies and relationships in and around the ducal estate. Includes the duke's presence at and reactions to the coronation of King George V & Queen Mary.
Written in 1930.
(I kept trying to read it as a roman à clef , but without success.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym.

In the early 1950s, a highly respectable and (contemporary standards) repressed lady finds gays totally problematical years before the Wolfenden Report.

It hits the nail on the head of London Anglo Catholicism as well.

Barbara Pym is a marmite author - you love her or loathe her. I'll always be moved by this book wonderful.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

Care to elaborate a little?
The language is part of it. A lot of care has gone into it. It's asking us to believe in the beauty of everyday events, and it uses a language that works at showing us.
The other thing is I think that it wants us to believe that the people in the book are important. Not in a sentimental way - the language is too careful for that - but without cynicism.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it really difficult to pick just one, but I would suggest "The God of Small Things". Not unlike "If nobody speaks..." (which I agree is fantastic), it deals with the importance of the little, and the reality that the little is far more significant for most people that the large.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been trying to do this but I can't do just one... I keep thinking of better ones... [Waterworks]
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like 'Gilead' by Marilynne Robinson. A tale about an elderly preacher with a younger wife, and son, set in 1950s mid-west America. The book made me love the protagonist, in a way - a good man, entirely believable to me, who keeps punching me the reader in the gut with more and more real-feeling lumps of goodness, but somehow without being sentimental. Well, I guess you'd have to read it.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Winter in Madrid by Sansom - I think that's his name. Oh it twists and turns and I was utterly gripped. Very traumatic, to add flavour.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starbelly:
The Goldfinch by Donna Taart

An obvious choice maybe, but while reading it it quickly became my life, every spare moment I wanted to pick it up, and when I had finished I was evangelistic in telling everyone they should read it!

Neil

Ditto. Every word Neil said. I love a book that completely absorbs me in the way Goldfinch did. Perfect for winter reading.

I'll pick Carthage, by Joyce Carol Oates, just because it's her and easily available at your local library.

We have all read newspaper accounts of missing teens and thought with sympathy of their family, without really much idea of how it actually plays out for them. Oates takes us through this with view points from the mother, father and sister, but, most interesting to me, we experience it through the young man "last seen with," the missing girl.

I love JCO and I think what makes her special is that she seems to write without personal bias of any kind. It makes for such clean, honest characters. She is sympathetic and non-judgmental of her characters while, at the same time, keeping a distance that unflinchingly reveals flaws.

It was good.

But not as good as The Goldfinch!

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Resurrecting this but overnight it occurred to me to mention Patricia Nell Warren's The Front Runner published 41 years ago so a tad dated but an excellent read and a book that was a bit of a watershed for the gay publishing industry.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016