homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Interesting miscellany (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Interesting miscellany
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Federal court has ruled that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not divine.

I don't know how his worshipers will cope.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, co-incidently, today there is a wedding being celebrated in Akaroa (a small seaside town on Bank's Peninsula in Canterbury NZ) by members of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Just as well American Federal courts have no juristriction here [Biased]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
... I don't know how his worshipers will cope.

The same way we coped when God created Richard Dawkins? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The same as everyone else in the US. The Federal Court, nor any other part of government*, has jurisdiction to rule on matters of theology or belief.

*the includes the Republican Party, or at least anyone they get elected to office, and county clerks.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you tell the government in good faith that your beliefs require you to wear a piece of kitchen equipment on your head, I don't think it's really the government's place to tell you that you have a fake religion and it's going to disregard it.

On the other hand, if you tell the government you are required to wear the pasta strainer, and are subsequently found to routinely drive bare-headed, you would appear to be prima facie guilty of perjury.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worry that schism might be inevitable - Farfarelli against Fusilli, possibly.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The court seems to have taken a common sense view in deciding that the FSM is satire, not religion, and no one actually bases their life on belief in the FSM as a real entity. Well done the court.

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this persecution will be just the mission boost it needs [Two face]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibaculus:
The court seems to have taken a common sense view in deciding that the FSM is satire, not religion, and no one actually bases their life on belief in the FSM as a real entity. Well done the court.

Didn't require a lot of judicial insight! The offical website Pastafarian website itself says: "Pastafarianism ... is a well-known parody religion that satirizes the teachings of Intelligent Design in public schools across Kansas."

On the other hand the number of followers is increasing. Is there some point at which it becomes a religion? (Terry Pratchet's 'Small Gods' might serve as a guide here).

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doone:
I think this persecution will be just the mission boost it needs [Two face]

No such thing as bad publicity?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
Is there some point at which it becomes a religion?

When it has a schism. It can't be a religion until there are True Believers™ and Hereticks™

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I agree, can't you have Don't Knows™ as well? [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a pastafarian agnostic with doubts. If it's wholemeal, can it be the One True Pasta?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could we have ecumenical meetings with Pastafarians? I'm thinking a potluck, me.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Is there some point at which it becomes a religion?

When it has a schism. It can't be a religion until there are True Believers™ and Hereticks™
And rotas, there needs to be rotas.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bibaculus:

Didn't require a lot of judicial insight! The offical website Pastafarian website itself says: "Pastafarianism ... is a well-known parody religion that satirizes the teachings of Intelligent Design in public schools across Kansas."

I'd be interested to know how a court would rule in regards to The Church Of The SubGenius, which from what I've seen, does not portray itself as a parody as explicitly as the Pastafarians do. (Even though it's pretty obvious that's what it is.)

[ 17. April 2016, 07:47: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I am a pastafarian agnostic with doubts. If it's wholemeal, can it be the One True Pasta?

That would be more correctly referred to as an agnocchi.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quotes file! [Overused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No rulings on Dudeism. Probably can't be bothered.

(Code fix)

[ 19. April 2016, 17:14: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I correct that this thread is replacing the old "Random Tangents" (a/k/a "Random Tandems") thread just for stray thoughts that are not worthy of a separate thread? The title makes me think so, even if all the posts so far have been related.

If I am wrong, I apologize for posting something completely unconnected with what has gone before. But if I am correct:

The actor to play the new companion on Doctor Who has been announced: Pearl Mackie, playing "Bill." But what is weird is this: in her brief character introduction shown on April 23, she is wearing a Prince t-shirt.

A tribute to the late artist? No...it was filmed before he died. It is just a freak coincidence.

Or Peter Capaldi and Ms. Mackie came back in the TARDIS after Prince died specifically to film her introduction with the shirt on.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started this thread because the old random tangents thread wasn't around any more. I didn't think my topic was worth a whole thread to itself, so I gave it the title Interesting Miscellany.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

And, the Doctor Who thread seems to have disappeared into the time vortex.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a Ship dream last night - in which Vladimir Putin was a temporary Purg Host. Firm but fair, people, firm but fair. And we were all in New Zealand.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoa.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was he wrestling a bear? Or the other Purg hosts? And does this mean that Mother Russia lays claim to NZ?
[Paranoid]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a lot of digging involved, and did you know the normal mode of transport in NZ is by bouncing pink kangaroo?
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, good Lord, my bones, my poor old bones!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I had a Ship dream last night - in which Vladimir Putin was a temporary Purg Host.

Who was he replacing? Enquiring minds want to know.

Also, was it a job swap? Does one of us get to be temporary Russian president?

[ 26. April 2016, 08:18: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
did you know the normal mode of transport in NZ is by bouncing pink kangaroo?

In a land populated by Hobbits and Orcs, Elves and Dwarfs anything is possible.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I don't think he was replacing anyone, Eutychus - just doing a guest gig. But it has to be said the Board was quiet. Very quiet.

[ 26. April 2016, 08:46: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
There was a lot of digging involved ...

Have you been looking at one of those web-sites that tell you where you'd end up if you could dig from a given point on the planet and come out the other side? And if you started in Russia, would you come out in New Zealand?

[Confused]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
I had a Ship dream last night - in which Vladimir Putin was a temporary Purg Host.

Who was he replacing? Enquiring minds want to know.

Also, was it a job swap? Does one of us get to be temporary Russian president?

Could this be a contest? Which host looks best partially dressed on a horse!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Which host looks best partially dressed on a horse!

At least Putin wasn't subbing for a Heaven Host, because all I have to say is, no matter how much y'all beg and plead, the answer is NO! [Snigger]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Not even on a Taun taun? Ah gwon, gwon, gwon.
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, maybe if I can have an X-wing for my trouble. But, no pictures.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not even on a Taun taun? Ah gwon, gwon, gwon.

A lizard? Seriously a Tuantaun is a lizard? A fur-covered, camel-faced creature on a freaking FROZEN! planet is supposed to be a LIZARD??!!!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Hmmm, the Star Wars universe it is. Surprised you should not be. Especially since Star Wars Day one week away is. Hmmph.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

If warm to stay, shelter inside you must. Comment about lizard it is, main complaint will not be.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

And we thought they smelled bad on the outside!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lizards smell better on the inside?
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is, at least, some humor in the world today. Even at a Presidential level:

Obama's comments at the White House correspondent's dinner.

C. J. Cregg takes a White House press conference.

And the Twitter exchange between Michele Obama and Prince Harry regarding the Invictus Games. (I couldn't get a link to work, but it is easy to find.)

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I came across this video which I hope you enjoy.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
A Federal court has ruled that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not divine.

I don't know how his worshipers will cope.

Moo

I had never heard of the FSM until I started on message boards! My granddaughters, brought up by quietly atheist parents, were talking about RE one day, and I told them about the FSM and said that if you replace the word God (god) anywhere with FSM, it all makes just as much sense!!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As this is a random-type thread, may I ask if anyone has read Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari? It's my current talking book and I'm about half-way through. I'm not keen on the rather abrasive style in which it is written, and there are a few things I'd quibble about but the idea that our species survives so well because of an imagined order, not an imposed one from any non-human power is interesting.

(Or should this be in All Saints?)

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Not unless you need sympathy for listening to it...

We do have a book thread...

Firenze
Heaven Host

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I worry that schism might be inevitable - Farfarelli against Fusilli, possibly.

That sounds a bit FAR fetched and perhaps FUTile.
But, that's just me.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the monster bit which worries me. Flying spag -no problem.

Lasagna, ye faithful believers.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Here's an interesting letter exchange.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is sad that suing the pants off Quaker Oats Inc. would be most unquakerly.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be interesting to see the attorney's response.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016