homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mindful colouring

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Mindful colouring
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone into this? I thought it was a bit silly at first but I've finally succumbed and bought a book of black and white patterns, dug out my old pencils, got some new pens, and am enjoying colouring them in with glorious WH Smith technicolour and bringing them to life.

It took a while to find a book I liked but actually it's a gentle sort of way of getting back into working with art materials. I think on balance working with pencils is nicer: the colours are more subtle and you can blend them and create gradients, which is far less easy with felt pens.

Also, looking at the patterns and visualizing what colour combinations would work best is quite enjoyable.

Anyone else out there for this? I know at least one person does Zentangles and colours them in (very impressively, I might add).

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son and I have always had regular old bunny rabbit and Mickey Mouse coloring books at home. We find it's relaxing to color while listening to music or NPR. Regular art stresses us out because of our frustrating lack of talent. When we heard about the new adult coloring books we ran right out and got some. We found them tedious, creating tension rather than easing it.

I wonder about this difference in response to the new coloring books. It reminds me of how meditation makes me want to jump and scream but running a few miles relaxes me. (Back when I could do that.)

I have a friend who spent time in rehab for drug addiction who told me they were all required to color a few times a day. That was a few years ago and those were the old fashioned children's books, they may use the adult ones now.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought one of those adult colouring books in a fit of enthusiasm but I haven't really used it.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Granddaughter loves arts and crafts, so I got her one of those books and a folder of colored pencils. She enjoys coloring while we are traveling between her home and mine.

I may have to try a page or two!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While looking at the colouring books for sale I noticed there was a book of Penguin book covers, with all the colours removed and just the outlines of the designs that you could colour in yourself.

It seemed like a fun idea, as I've sometimes been tempted to redesign some of the book covers I've come across, but I wasn't about to shell out for the privilege.

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
When we heard about the new adult coloring books we ran right out and got some. We found them tedious, creating tension rather than easing it.

Some of them are, right enough. I like the smaller designs that you can use a variety of colours in. If there's a huge amount of blank space in a design I get bored with filling that in (some things haven't changed, I found that tedious as a child as well).

[ 07. August 2016, 11:52: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you are supposed to use graded tones of colour in the large spaces, from what I have seen of people selling the books on TV (briefly, while on my way somewhere else).
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! Last year I bought myself Johanna Basford's "Secret Garden" and a box of 36 colouring pencils from WH Smith. I was never any good at art at school so it took me a while to get over the sense of my old (and one of them in particular was very old indeed!) art teachers inspecting my work over my shoulder and asking why I had used that colour next to that one, or not kept in the lines. For some months it was a real need and immensely therapeutic. I felt happy when colouring, at a time when I wasn't feeling happy about very much at all.

Inevitably for my birthday and Christmas a number of people gave me more colouring books and some I don't feel attracted to at all. I'm also colouring less since completing a very detailed double-page spread in the "Enchanted Forest" book which was rather an overdose of leaf-colouring! I find it a lovely thing though - lovely to do and lovely to admire the finished article. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I'm into these and I've had classes of 30+ teenagers absorbed in them.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little different, but when I was substitute teaching, I taught a class of sixth graders (11 and 12 yr olds) who had been introduced to cross-stitching. They loved it! They'd finish their work and stitch away. The teacher had even gotten the more enthused more complex kits when the simple rainbow ones were finished.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to use Altair patterns in school for colouring in at end of term - it was interesting that some went for picking out the pattern repeats, while others would look and see shapes like houses and trees in them. (This was 8 to 9 years old.)

And I used to like drawing mazes on squared paper, and colouring in two colours.

[ 07. August 2016, 16:03: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About six or seven years ago our Wednesday evening Lenten Program was on Celtic Christianity. The priest who was leading it gave us coloring sheets of Celtic symbols each week to take home and color as an aid to meditation.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But beware those godless mandala coloring books! They will lead you astray according to some Christian message boards. Coloring mandalas are up there with doing yoga in their books.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

What about colouring a rose window, then?
Or the Cosmati pavement in Westminster Abbey.

They look a bit mandala-like to me.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Those things are "Catholic" not "Christian". Just about as bad. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It does seem a pity that after taking Jesus into their hearts they are so afraid.
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Those things are "Catholic" not "Christian". Just about as bad. [Paranoid]

Worse, because Catholics have convinced some people that they are Christian!!! [Devil]

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're in a sort of limbo at the moment (living in a rented flat until our house is sold) and have no TV or computer there. We were in a bookshop just after we arrived and I saw books of mandalas* and thought, I'd rather like to give that a go, so I bought a book called Colour me Fearless and some micro-tip felt pens and got stuck in. It occurred to me that I might start a thread about it here, but I didn't get round to it, and lo and behold, Ariel saves me the trouble.

Serendipity, eh? [Smile]

I should add that when I was at school I hated art classes with a passion normally reserved for Hitler, and realised from the very first lesson that I was going to be completely rubbish at it.

However, I'm finding colouring really rather therapeutic; this book doesn't just have mandalas, but there are less abstract pictures as well, which I haven't tackled yet as I think coloured pencils will work better than pens, so I'll have to go shopping again.

* sorry about that LR! [Devil]

Now I think about it, the idea first came to me when a FB friend (who's a bishop) posted a picture of a beautiful mandala that he'd coloured. If it's good enough for a bishop, it's good enough for me.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heaven knows, I'm not averse to engaging with predetermined patterning (given the amount of candy crushing I do). But I think I would feel guilty in this instance that I was not spending the time on actual drawing or painting.

Though it comes to mind that I have a book of colour-in bhodhisattvas I got at the Tibetan monastery in the Borders many years ago - so it's not a new thing.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I feel a bit guilty that I'm not spending the time actually making the effort to draw but at least I'm picking up a pencil after months of not doing so.

I'm hoping it will prompt me into wanting to create my own designs - it occurred to me maybe I could also generate some Spirograph patterns with that for illustration. (And then produce artworks of marvellous and stunning complexity and beauty which the world would fall over itself to buy, right.)

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried it, but I did not like it. I wanted to color way outside the lines. The good thing was it inspired me to once again start doing my own art.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always loved maps and islands, so I draw maps of imaginary islands. You can do roadmaps with a couple of ballpoints or physical maps with watercolour pencils and so on. It's your map so if you want to write "Here be dragons" it is up to you.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've occasionally wrapped gifts in OS colouring-in maps. You can have a lot of fun deliberately colour-coding things, or just see what patterns appear when you stop thinking about Durham as being Durham.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I have always loved maps and islands, so I draw maps of imaginary islands. You can do roadmaps with a couple of ballpoints or physical maps with watercolour pencils and so on. It's your map so if you want to write "Here be dragons" it is up to you.

I've done that - with a little galleon and a spouting whale in the sea. (Every map needs this sort of thing.) The cherub blowing the gale from the corner was no good though.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze (and similar thoughts from Ariel and BL):
... I would feel guilty in this instance that I was not spending the time on actual drawing or painting ...

Don't feel guilty, ladies. Just because someone else has created the outline doesn't detract from your creativity in providing the insides.

As I said in my previous post, I have no artistic skills whatsoever, and IMHO colouring something that someone else has created specifically for that purpose has its own sort of creativity.

I did a sort of fleur-de-lis design this afternoon, and decided it would be in rainbow colours. No reason - just because I like them.

The last time I made anything so pretty it was a paella. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
I've occasionally wrapped gifts in OS colouring-in maps. You can have a lot of fun deliberately colour-coding things, or just see what patterns appear when you stop thinking about Durham as being Durham.

Thank you for this. I've printed out a map of London. The Thames is now embellished with a little spouting whale and a tiny galleon, a palm tree has appeared somewhere south of the river near Vauxhall, and I'm working on a little stagecoach to brighten up one of the major railway stations. I probably won't colour the map itself, but illustrating it with tiny sketches in the larger spaces is proving quite entertaining so far.

I bought some coloured pencils yesterday in town in rather a hurry so as to have a set at the office for lunchtimes, but realized after I'd bought them that they don't have any red, just pink and quite dark pink. Ah well.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Firenze:
quote:
Heaven knows, I'm not averse to engaging with predetermined patterning (given the amount of candy crushing I do). But I think I would feel guilty in this instance that I was not spending the time on actual drawing or painting.
Should a musician feel guilty for playing music she hadn't written?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Firenze:
quote:
Should a musician feel guilty for playing music she hadn't written?
Taking black marks on a piece of paper and translating them into beautiful sound involves an important skill - technical mastery of an instrument. That's the bit that colouring ready mades skips. It's a kind of art karaoke.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
My son and I have always had regular old bunny rabbit and Mickey Mouse coloring books at home. We find it's relaxing to color while listening to music or NPR. Regular art stresses us out because of our frustrating lack of talent. When we heard about the new adult coloring books we ran right out and got some. We found them tedious, creating tension rather than easing it.

I wouldn't worry about any (perceived) lack of talent. I enjoy sketching and painting and I'm not talented. But I do find it really relaxing (in fact my friend and I even experimented with painting to music, so different kinds of music would produce different sorts of lines or colours even.) Anyhow, in view of the fact that I'm not some brilliant artist, I just call it my 'dab and daub' method...it's just nice making marks on the paper, hardboard, canvas or whatever and experimenting..and sometimes it might come out not too bad.
Just look at little childrens' pictures...they're so free and can be quite lively and amazing.

Come to think about it, one day my friend and I got some recently used teabags, made some pencil pictures and kind of coloured them in using the teabags...it was quite effective. It's amazing what one can experiment with.

Posts: 111 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've been thinking about what Lyda Rose said about some people at the extreme ends of Christianity regarding mandalas as somehow evil, and it made me wonder why. I mean, how can something beautiful (even something "man-made") be evil?

I don't mean to get Purgatorial or Hellish - I'm just curious.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is just my theory, for what it's worth, but I believe these are people who are deathly afraid of being under the control or influence of unseen evil, and being uneducated and poorly catechized, they therefore regard all "altered states" of consciousness as dangerous. This would include meditation etc. but also things as seemingly ordinary as being lost in art or music. The fact that certain kinds of art, like rose windows, can be semi-hypnotic--well, that would feel pretty scary to them. And the more beautiful the pattern, the scarier the felt loss of self-control. (I rather doubt they approve of fugues either, even by Bach.)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, a mandala is from another, non-Christian religion, so it's scarier. Obviously those Buddhists are out to brainwash you once they have you in a trance.
[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh.

Children's drawing development is a kind of geeky interest of mine, and in my readings of said subject, I learned simple mandalas are pretty much one of the first types of pre- representational drawing children do all over the world, whether they do it with fingerpaint or a stick in dirt. A decorative mandala is merely an elaboration of a simple mandala, which is a circle divided into even quadrants. And then dividing the quadrants, etc.

It is instinctive, artistic geometrical reasoning. Figures some people would find it terrifying.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thank you for the enlightenment.

Now that you put it like that, Kelly, I'm beginning to recall when I was in primary school and we'd been taught how to draw a circle with a pair of compasses. If you stuck the compasses on the circumference and measured them to the centre, you could divide the circle into "petals" like a flower, and I used to love making different coloured patterns, and some of the mandalas I've been colouring are, as you say, really just an elaboration of that.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Thank you for the enlightenment.

Now that you put it like that, Kelly, I'm beginning to recall when I was in primary school and we'd been taught how to draw a circle with a pair of compasses. If you stuck the compasses on the circumference and measured them to the centre, you could divide the circle into "petals" like a flower, and I used to love making different coloured patterns, and some of the mandalas I've been colouring are, as you say, really just an elaboration of that.

I loved doing that! I made many compass designs and loved coloring them in.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's soothing because, no matter how complex the mandala is, it is a celebration of order. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sometimes when I do it, it's a celebration of chaos - when I inadvertently start colouring a space in turquoise that was meant to be purple. [Hot and Hormonal]

I bought a packet of coloured pencils yesterday and was about three-quarters of the way through quite a pretty design when I discovered a basic design fault in pencils: the points sometimes break.

Especially if you didn't have the wit to buy a pencil-sharpener, even though there was a box of them beside the pencils in the shop ...

[brick wall]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016