homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ship Walking Group (London and elsewhere) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship Walking Group (London and elsewhere)
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yangtze and I were out for a walk yesterday and talking about restarting a Ship walking group again this year.

We were wondering about a walk either next weekend - Saturday 16 January or Saturday 23 January or Sunday 24 January. After yesterday I know fields means wet feet and muddy trousers, so maybe a section of the Thames walk? Yangtze suggested starting at the Thames Barrier, heading back into London past Greenwich and maybe ending up in a pub in Wapping.

I left the location more open as I know that I'm nearly as likely to come and play with the Yorkshire contingent as the London lot. (Anybody fancy Whitby at Easter? or the White Peak 13/14 February?)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This weekend, 14-17 January, has the London Festival of Lights in the West End, Lumiere London - which might change plans. (There was something like this down in Docklands last year too).

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

We were wondering about a walk either next weekend - Saturday 16 January or Saturday 23 January or Sunday 24 January. After yesterday I know fields means wet feet and muddy trousers, so maybe a section of the Thames walk? Yangtze suggested starting at the Thames Barrier, heading back into London past Greenwich and maybe ending up in a pub in Wapping.

Given the Ship theme, maybe the Prospect of Whitby or the Captain Kidd?

[Smile]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been meaning to post something similar, ever since we've been doing walks a bit further up the Thames. I can't do the 16th, or any first Saturdays in the month, but other than that I'd be keen to join in.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like a rather good idea. Walked to Greenwich from Forest Hill yesterday, though some parts of that were muddy underfoot around Lewisham, which isn't very pedestrian-friendly.

Another choice walk for the inhabitants of east London city-dweller is along the Regent's canal from Limehouse to Angel, which is a very gently 4.5 miles on the flat.

Once the days get a bit longer and, hopefully, the ground less quagmire-ish, I'll be resuming the North Downs Way. Did Farnham -> Borough Green last summer and hope to finish the 2nd half, ending up at Canterbury cathedral tea shop. If anyone wants to join me for a leg (typically 10-15 miles), then you'll be welcome to do so.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Once the days get a bit longer and, hopefully, the ground less quagmire-ish, I'll be resuming the North Downs Way. Did Farnham -> Borough Green last summer and hope to finish the 2nd half, ending up at Canterbury cathedral tea shop. If anyone wants to join me for a leg (typically 10-15 miles), then you'll be welcome to do so.

Suggest when you get to planning dates for doing these legs you post again here (or on a separate thread if this one is no longer alive) to invite others to join you then. Though obviously people can express interest now but if other people are like me, I'll forget later on in the year!

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

How about Saturday 23 January? We could do any of the canal/river paths. Another one that's fun is down the River Lea/Lee, we've walked Ware to Cheshunt and Tottenham to the Thames before, past Three Mills and all sorts of interesting places.

I'd be up for walking to Canterbury too.

Is anyone else thinking about walking 1000 miles?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday 23rd would be good for me - quite fancy the River Lea.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Whereabouts on the River Lea/Lee? Down to the Thames and the same pubs, or further up stream?

You can get to Ware and Cheshunt on the Overground from Liverpool Street. Ware is outside Zone 6. There is a section I haven't done from Cheshunt to Tottenham, but Yangtze knows that chunk well (cause and effect). We last walked from Ware with Auntie Doris, when she was a local, some years ago.

Tottenham to the Thames is a fair walk.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Not too fussed which bit of the RIver Lea, but I don't fancy too much of a trek as I'm feeling rather unfit at the moment, about eight miles max.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

OK, the first two sections of the TfL Lea Valley Walk add up to 7.5 miles:

Waltham Cross to Ponders End is 3.5 miles
Ponders End to Tottenham Hale is 4 miles

(and conveniently bridges the gap between the walk I did with the Ship from Ware to Waltham Abbey (Cheshunt) and the other walk I did with rosamundi from Tottenham to the Thames.

Not sure how great pub options will be, but there is The Navigation, a Harvester Inn, at Ponders End or The Greyhound at Enfield.

Alternatively, there are the three sections starting from Tottenham which are 2 miles each, and go through the more interesting bits - Three Mills Island, Trinity Buoy - with a choice of places to end up - either at East India Dock or Limehouse Basin. The Grapes is nearest, but there are also the The Captain Kidd or The Prospect of Whitby nearer St Katharine's Dock.

Walk London is running walks the weekend of 23rd and 24th January - and they are leading a similar walk on the Sunday.

(I did this before disappearing out and realised I hadn't actually posted it when I checked on my phone to see if anyone had replied.)

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Both those options sound good, as does the Walk London option on Sunday. I think I lean more to the Waltham Cross walk, though the other soudns more interesting as I haven't done that, and I have done Three Bridges - though I'm happy to go with what others want.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

If we do the Waltham Cross walk, can we start at 10:30am please? There's an hourly bus from here that gets in at 10 past the hour.

I probably have most of the map for that one and then we'll be into AtoZ coverage. I'll dig it out.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I can get to Waltham Cross train station for about 10.00 to 10.30 for that walk.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably not going to be able to do a Sunday walk (I tend to go to church then). Depending on the weather, I'm looking at doing this walk (or some variation of) over Leith Hill this Saturday. At 10 miles and a gross ascent of 1,100 feet, it looks like a decent leg stretch to blow out the winter cobwebs.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I think we're thinking on Saturday (though Sunday would be OK - transport permitting). I've done walks round Leith Hill before, and it's lovely.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sipech, that looks great, but muddy.

Shall we meet at 10:30am inside Waltham Cross station? The station has a Victorian station building that I think is the only exit (certainly the only one I've found).

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Yes, I'll be there, weather permitting. I have a rubbish lot of wet weather gear so don't fancy a soaking, though a bit of light rain would be fine.
Anyone else joing CK and me?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I'll contact Yangtze, not sure if anyone else wants to play. Many of our other regulars in the past aren't around or prefer more rural hikes.

(Actually, if it stays this frozen, rural hikes will be fun as the ground gets solid again, but I can do rural hikes.)

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

My son may be joining us.
I'd quite enjoy a rural walk sometime too. Son and I did a great circular walk from Goldalming station, but when I tried to do it with my husband a few weeks ago, a key bridge was closed and there was no alternative route - we trameod round blueberry fields for an hour or two then went and had a late lunch.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas I have yet to start on my tax return so think I will have to pass on this. What with the deadline only being about a week away now.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

We should be there.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

So should I, with matchsticks, because I'm just leaving work now.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Great to meet up with CK (and my son) for a walk today. Sorry I'm so unfit - obviuosuly need to more of these walks. Good to see an area of London I know nothing about, including the Eleanor Cross at Waltham Cross.
Any ideas for our next walk? I can make most Saturdays (though not the first in the month). I know a good one from New Malden to Putney via the Beverley Brook any other ideas?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Yesterday was fun, thank you.

The reason Pickett's Lock is now Alfie's Lock is that it is temporarily named after the lock keeper who worked there for years.

The Wendover walk I was talking about was this one, and I'm obviously not the only person who thinks it's a good walk. It gets muddy, so not for this time of year. This article is from this time last year, so the public right of way still exists across the park at Chequers, which was what making me wonder if it was still possible.

Another longer walk I've done and loved was Eastbourne to Seaford, which all the online guides suggest doing from Seaford to Eastbourne, but that again is a summer walk.

We have so far walked:
  • a chunk of the Hogsmill,
  • in three sections, the River Lee / Lea from Ware to the Thames;
  • the river Chess - which was very, very wet;
  • several sections of the Thames walk - (I'm going to confuse which bits I've done with the Ship and on my own, because I've walked from Woolwich to Hampton and some other bits). moonlitdoor wanted to join us for some of the more rural sections, particularly Marlow to Windsor - which is a couple of sections further out that we've been as the Ship.
  • sections of the London LOOP walk
  • some of the Capital Ring walk
  • some bits of the North Downs Way

Can we entice anybody else to come and play?

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Sounds like you had a more fun day than I did. Having emailed the area manager of the National Trust to find out the ground conditions around Leith Hill, I was told it was firm underfoot with the occasional soft patch.

This turned out to be rather an understatement. Many of the fields were highly churned up, and were either boggy (over the ankles), downright flooded or where the ground was exposed but in shade, it was frozen solid. Some of the signage was pretty bad too, so finding the exit from a field was far from easy, especially as the fog reduced visibility to about 100 yards.

The worst came as I went up one sloped field that hot more and more boggy the higher up I got. The field was also home to three horses who looked at me with bemusement, as I traipsed my way up, the mud note mixed with manure and getting deeper with every step. It took me 10 minutes to go 100 yards, and by the top it was knee-deep. Then the farmer had cordoned off the public footpath with an electric fence which I had to crawl under.

After that, it was a steep scramble up Leith Hill, where the top was so foggy it felt otherworldly. I then spent a few hours wandering up the Greensand Way which was much more pleasant. Overall, I managed 10 miles in 5 hours, slowed down by the suction power of the mud.

Might wait for a dry, summer fortnight before going to that part of the world again.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I like the idea of the Wendover walk, I too was wondering if it being so close to Cheqeurs would be a problem nowadays. I also fancy Thames walks further up the Thames than I've been (which is Hampton Court/East Molesey). Maybe more people will be interested when the weather's a bit better.

Thanks for the information on Alfie's lock - I had the horrible feeling it had been re-named as a small child had been drowned there!

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to get a life and meet people this year, and I've fancied going to a Ship Meet for years but never got the guts to go. I could be up for a nice little walk - sounds nice.
Pity I missed this thread before, maybe next time I could tag along [Smile]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go for it. I felt much the same way for a long time and withdrew from a couple of shipmeets years ago. However, I enjoy them and have met great Shipmates. I met Treebee in the middle of an intersection in Sydney as we glanced surreptitiously at each other. Pete.C and I went for a trip to Blue Mountins in ever thickening fog. Pizzas near the harbour. Mass at St Francis at Paddington to hear other Shipmates sing in choir. Similar at Christ Church St Laurence in Sydney.

Take things easy, an outside walk is probably a good place to start.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear you had a good time yesterday.
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... the river Chess - which was very, very wet ...

Isn't that rather the point of a river? [Snigger]

I'll see myself out ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Sipech -Yuck to the mud and shame about the fog. I once spent a lovely spring evening wandering around Leith Hill admiring the view as a birthday treat. There are also some quite good pubs in the area, and at weekend there is a tea stall on the top of the hill.
Luvanddaises - Walks are a great way to meet shipmates, discover areas you haven't been to before and get fit, defiently recommended.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

This was the view I had from the top.

Early forecasts aren't looking good for the weekend ahead. Was hoping to do the easternmost stretch of the South Downs Way (Southease to Eastbourne) but the Met Office are saying there'll be rain from Friday to Sunday.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may possibly join in a spring or summer walk but I am not sure. The last time I sent to a shipmeet everyone started talking about politics, and I found it very awkward.

Of course I am not complaining because people are entitled to talk about whatever they like, but politics is not at all my idea of a nice day out, so I became hesitant about going to another one.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For reasons I really can't explain, that picture makes me want to shout "Heathcliiiiiiifffffe!!!"

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Moonlitdoor - it seems unlikely that the conversation for the duration of an entire walk was about politics and nothing else. It's also pretty easy to shift conversations into different topic areas that one does want to join in with. Especially when walking as different groups and pairs form.

Of course if ones modus operandi in conversations is not to contribute but mainly to listen then it's much harder to shift the direction of the conversation. Which I guess would have to lead to either withdrawing from the group or to choosing to be more proactive in talking.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Apols for double post.

Having said it's easy to shift conversations onto different topics I once sat on a train behind a group of men who talked solidly and non-stop for three hours about football. Nothing but football. I have no clue how they found enough to talk about. I suspect trying to shift them onto a different conversational topic would have been impossible.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

For reasons I really can't explain, that picture makes me want to shout "Heathcliiiiiiifffffe!!!"
Ah, but this is the proper place for doing that (Top Withens, Yorkshire).

[ 26. January 2016, 10:39: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I thought you had to do it in semaphore!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's not even 11:00 a.m. here, and already we've descended into Monty Python ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I blinked at being told we'd talked politics for an entire walk too. If there was something political in the news we may have drifted into that for a while, but not for an entire walk and not for every little group on the walk.

Walking you tend to end up in changing threesomes and pairs, rather than in one big huddle, as narrow sections of path thin the party. I find walking with people, compared with going out for a meal or meeting in a pub, means you get to move around and meet more of the group.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I agree with CK that a walk is a better way to meet a group of people, and you get the added bonus of a pub, or a cafe as well.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I said either that it was a walk or that it was for the whole time, neither of which was the case, only that I didn't enjoy it and it put me off shipmeets a bit.

Because my name was referenced, I thought I would say why I had not come to any walks lately, but maybe it was a mistake to mention it.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Fair point - think I read into your saying it wasn't your idea of a fun day out that that's what everyone had talked about all day.

The rest of my comment wasn't about you per se and my apologies if that wasn't clear, but more about how to cope when people want to talk about things that one doesn't enjoy. Your response in this example was to withdraw and not come again to a Shipmeet. I was musing that there are other responses but it wasn't intended to be personal.

Anyway, this is all a tangent from organising Shipmeet Walks.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Looking at the weather forecast, I'm going to abandon my attempt at Southease->Eastbourne (over the Seven Sisters) as I'm not sure the ground will be safe/dry enough.

As it is, the plan is now to walk two laps around Richmond Park (~14 miles, almost entirely flat) on Saturday.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I've cycled round Richmond Park and walked across it in various directions, but two laps sounds a bit beyond me!
The Beverley Brook walk I mentioned takes you across a corner of the park.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sipech, you might have had a good day from Eastbourne yesterday - it was glorious in Brighton - I walked along the front to Shoreham harbour and back in blowy sunny conditions.

Today I walked this walk with quite a few diversions when I got lost or wanted to explore further. I got part way round in wet and miserable conditions until I gave up and went inside to dry out for a bit before resuming.

I'm up to 87.5 miles and on target to walk 1000 miles, even if 28 miles of that is the walk to and from the tube every day. The other nearly 60 miles is me deliberately getting out and walking.

Would anyone be around for a London-ish walk on either 20/21 February or 27/28 February?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

20/21 ans 27/28 are possibilities, with the Saturdays pehaps preferable to the Sundays due to transport sometimes being a bit unreliable on the later day.
Any suggestions as to walks?

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could be too.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I can do either and would love to come out walking - the stormy weather and no leaves on the trees yet means that the ground still isn't nice underfoot and I don't fancy up to my ears in mud then back on public transport. How dry is the Beverly Brook walk, Sarasa?

If that one is wet I can lead reasonably dry Epping Forest walks (there are tracks through the Forest) but you were out towards north-east London last time. Or there's a long walk we did a few years ago from Putney across Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park to Richmond then back along the Thames. (It's what we used to do in winter when we wanted a decent walk when I lived there). Lots of places to jump off that one, or sidetrack ourselves to the Dove at Hammersmith.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I quite fancy Wimbledon Common, it's an area I haven't really explored since moving to this area. Any walk where you can opt out easily would be good for me, I don't seem very good at walking very far at present! The Beverly Brook walk is great, and I don't think it would be too muddy if people prefer that.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016