homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cheating Students! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cheating Students!
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gave a (maths) test on Friday. There were four versions of the test, carefully passed out so that no student had the same version as the person sitting on either side.

And yet some students just happened to get the right answers from the wrong version of the test. The version the person sitting next to them was taking. And in almost all instances, they got one or more same wrong answer as the person next to them.

This means on Monday I have to get the administration involved, and call a boatload of parents to explain how their little angels cheated on a maths test. Gaaaaaa!

As if correcting tests weren't a bad enough way to start the weekend as it is.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed.

Last semester I had 4 plagiarized papers (and this at an evangelical college). One was turned in 4 weeks late on the last day of class, making the necessary consultations, the signing of the forms, etc. all the more difficult to arrange. Bleh.

The kicker is, like most profs, I require them to upload their papers to turnitin. So what the heck did they think was gonna happen when you upload a plagiarized paper to turnitin????

[Confused]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
One was turned in 4 weeks late on the last day of class

We have a simple system. Reports etc handed in late have marks deducted. The later it is, the more marks you lose. 4 weeks would late would be well into negative marks awarded, even if it was the greatest piece of original work ever produced.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the students perspective, I can see it makes sense. They are judged simply on results, passing exams, qualifications, not on whether they actually know something. That its the core failing of the system.

But yes, what is the point of studying and then cheating to earn a qualification that you don't deserve? And if you do, don't do it in such a way that you will be easily caught, because that indicates that you really don't deserve the qualification. At least show that you have half a brain cell.

I presume all of the students will protest their innocence, and claim that they are the victims. Rather than admit the truth that they are losers.

And no, I have never cheated on an exam.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
From the students perspective, I can see it makes sense. They are judged simply on results, passing exams, qualifications, not on whether they actually know something. That its the core failing of the system.

True, alas. But then again knowing how to work (without cheating) within a system you don't like is good practice for life outside the academy walls.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you cheat, at least get a commendation for original thinking when you beat the Kobayashi Maru scenario.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
If you cheat, at least get a commendation for original thinking when you beat the Kobayashi Maru scenario.

Although finding the volume of a cone isn't nearly so intractable as the Kobayashi Maru.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
One was turned in 4 weeks late on the last day of class

We have a simple system. Reports etc handed in late have marks deducted. The later it is, the more marks you lose. 4 weeks would late would be well into negative marks awarded, even if it was the greatest piece of original work ever produced.
Yes, I have a similar system, although a less steep curve so there's still hope at 4 weeks. But a plagiarized paper gets 0 pts so that's moot. My point was just that turning it in on the last day of class only made dealing with the administrative and emotional messiness of meeting with the student before reporting it to the dean, etc., all the more logistically difficult.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I catch someone cheating (it only ever happens with homework, they're never sitting close enough together to get away with it for tests) I mock them for a bit in front of the rest of the class just to give them a bit of encouragement not to do it again. What's troubling to me about Mousethief's class is that they're not smart enough to notice that the answer they're copying doesn't match the question.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
When I catch someone cheating (it only ever happens with homework, they're never sitting close enough together to get away with it for tests) I mock them for a bit in front of the rest of the class just to give them a bit of encouragement not to do it again. What's troubling to me about Mousethief's class is that they're not smart enough to notice that the answer they're copying doesn't match the question.

To do that they'd have to actually, you know, READ the question. What's hilarious is that a couple of the students actually showed their work (or rather of course their neighbor's work), complete with numbers nowhere evident on their own copy of the test!

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

To do that they'd have to actually, you know, READ the question. What's hilarious is that a couple of the students actually showed their work (or rather of course their neighbor's work), complete with numbers nowhere evident on their own copy of the test!
[Big Grin] Along the same lines as upload a plagiarized paper to turnitin.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It's almost as if you're disappointed that not only did they cheat, they demonstrated just how stupid they were by not even thinking about the cheating.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It's almost as if you're disappointed that not only did they cheat, they demonstrated just how stupid they were by not even thinking about the cheating.

Well as Screwtape says, you don't expect old heads on young shoulders.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that was Miss Jean Brodie.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Could be her, too.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
0 for the exam. Possibly 0 for the course. Suspension.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would do the F on the exam and the suspension, but give them one more chance for the course. Just one.

The fake essay thing is unreal-- at least pay someone to write you a new one, if you don't take pride in your own effort. Definitely, teachers can track down a fake in milliseconds nowadays. As for me, I would rather suck on my own merit than be praised for someone else's.

Oh, and it's "Little garruls, I am in the business of putting oh-weld heads on young shoul-dahs, and all my garruls are the creme! de la creme!" (Sorry, I just loved that freakin' movie. Maggie Smith has always known how to devour scenery.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

True, alas. But then again knowing how to work (without cheating) within a system you don't like is good practice for life outside the academy walls.
We are interviewing at the moment (at work), and it is interesting to see the number of people (under 30s) who seem to think that ticking boxes means they can do things.

We had one recently who was working for a company that just takes graduates and charges them out. They don;t get too much real experience, but they can tick all sorts of boxes. This chap thought he could be a team leader, whereas in truth he would be struggling as a junior developer.

In truth, he will probably end up in management, with no real development experience.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exam cheats - I was once invigilating, when I mentioned to the senior that I had to pop out for a call of nature. I was sitting in the stall (OK, no more detail) when I heard someone come and sit in the one next to me. A few moments later, someone else came in and stood at the urinal, followed by a voice from the stall (hey xxx, is that you?) and the inevitable, depressing and ill-informed discussion on question 4.

Their faces as I emerged with a broad smile (OK, I said no more detail) were a picture, but back upstairs in mutual conversation with the senior they seemed to have recovered their composure - 'it's just his word against mine'.

The real comedy is that no action was taken, the university concerned being primarily motivated by keeping those fee-paying bums on a seat for the full three years. With this in mind the exam was already a comic exercise in pulse-checking - these zombies just needed a little extra help in demonstrating their vital signs.

Wishing as usual I had thought of the appropriate line at the time rather than on the bus home, I wish I had emerged with a couple of pieces of toilet paper on which to write their degree certificates.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

We are interviewing at the moment (at work), and it is interesting to see the number of people (under 30s) who seem to think that ticking boxes means they can do things.

We had one recently who was working for a company that just takes graduates and charges them out. They don;t get too much real experience, but they can tick all sorts of boxes. This chap thought he could be a team leader, whereas in truth he would be struggling as a junior developer.

In truth, he will probably end up in management, with no real development experience.

I'm not sure it wasn't always thus!

Getting jobs nowadays however is all about selling yourself, so if you can kid yourself that you can do XYZ then convincing a load of others who got their position on the other side of the interview desk in exactly the same way shouldn't be too hard.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simple theft, when caught, i.e., shoplifting, doesn't seem to get much flexibility, and is dealt with formally via charging. Or perhaps cheating is more like a traffic violation, where you get fined and demerit points?

How serious is it?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's pretty serious when you build your reputation on work you have stolen from someone else and failed to cite them. And say things like "you don't need to cite things you heard in a lecture delivered to ........." I won't say who or where, but it was an amateur society of the sort of thing where amateurs are recognised contributors of the field.

Not done to me, but a friend.

[ 07. February 2016, 14:11: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was once involved in a study where volunteer students were asked to attempt to answer a few questions and draw some diagrams (we were interested in how they interpreted some sentences). It was made clear that no grading was involved (the test was done anonymously) and that they could turn in an unfilled paper and get the small gift certificate. One person still cheated (we had randomized the order of the questions).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took an on line university level free course on how to edit to improve the writing of your own professional writing. We reviewed each others' work. The discussion soon overflowed with reports of plagiarism. Many of us reported that over half of the submissions of "original work" were 100% plagiarized, some cleverly changing a minor word here and there so a search for an exact quote would not get a hit on Google. This was in a free no credit course, they still feel a need to plagiarize!

Several thousand in the class world wide (a Coursera class), which suggests the problem is worldwide.

A friend teaches for one of the legitimate on live universities. She said she ignores plagiarism that is 1/3rd or less of an "original work" essay because otherwise almost no one would pass the class.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief

Empathy, it is the ability to copy mistakes that is the real give away. Over twenty years ago I was in much the same position except it was university and I was the assistant. The kids I had were, on the whole, bright. 100% was not unusual for some doing the homework. So the week I got a whole lot with 60% and the same errors I was pretty confident copying had happened.

Jengie

p.s. if you are going to copy off someone copy off the geek who gets 100%, it is really hard to prove copying if everything is perfect.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

It is form of fraud isn't?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie, that's why the buggers used to steal my homework from my locker at school to copy the homework. Locker being a euphemism for something that couldn't be locked.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:

quote:
A friend teaches for one of the legitimate on live universities. She said she ignores plagiarism that is 1/3rd or less of an "original work" essay because otherwise almost no one would pass the class.
The software used by the University at which I marked would always indicate that e.g. the bibliography section had been plagiarised, because there can be no variation in a book title. Sometimes a long sentence which was simply a statement of fact would show up as plagiarised, when it was nothing of the sort (E.g. "Labour won a landslide victory in the 1945 General Election.") There is no way of stating that fact in a way that hasn't already been used before. I would think it would be possible to have an essay show up as 33% plagiarised, without there having been any plagiarism at all.

We worried about any essay which scored less than 20%, because that usually meant there was a problem with the student's ability to cite sources and compile a bibliography.

[ 07. February 2016, 19:43: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We worried about any essay which scored less than 20%, because that usually meant there was a problem with the student's ability to cite sources and compile a bibliography.

I worried about essays scoring less than 20%, because my institution told me to pass the f*ckers anyway. So I left.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D'uh! I meant that an essay which the software showed as being less than 20% plagiarised usually had a problem with the bibliography etc. The software we used invariably showed the entire bibliography as being "plagiarised" when, of course, it wasn't.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
I took an on line university level free course on how to edit to improve the writing of your own professional writing. We reviewed each others' work. The discussion soon overflowed with reports of plagiarism. Many of us reported that over half of the submissions of "original work" were 100% plagiarized, some cleverly changing a minor word here and there so a search for an exact quote would not get a hit on Google. This was in a free no credit course, they still feel a need to plagiarize!

Several thousand in the class world wide (a Coursera class), which suggests the problem is worldwide.

Of course, the "change a word here or there" thing doesn't work on turnitin, which is used in most universities, because it's looking for even sentence fragments and then overall similarity. Hence they got caught.

It is quite common, though far less than 1/3 of the class. I used to get about 2-4 per semester, but that went down a lot once I started using turnitin so they've got a heads up they're going to get caught. This last year the numbers went back up-- some, as noted above, so obviously going to get caught that it's a head-scratcher.

In talking with my students (we're required to meet face-to-face with students before referring to dean for their Ultimate Fate) I've come to believe that not a few really don't seem to think it's "plagiarism" if it's an online source. They're just so used to reposting, cutting & pasting, they honestly don't seem to realize it's copying someone else's work (even though its spelled out in bold print in the syllabus). The consequences at our place are pretty stiff even for first offense so it's a hard lesson to learn.

Most exasperating as noted above, but also mildly amusing, are the ones that seem to be absolutely thought-free. Those who borrow work from someone of a different gender then forget to go through and look for lines like "I love being an aunt". The one who cut-and-pasted a very well written rebuttal of CS Lewis' famous liar/lunatic/Lord, then went on to wrap it in a chirpy puff piece that made it very apparent she had no idea it was a rebuttal. Another student who cut and pasted something she got off of some website like Ask.com, the answer had an aside from the writer that said something like: "Mr. Ask was born in this city..."

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
D'uh! I meant that an essay which the software showed as being less than 20% plagiarised usually had a problem with the bibliography etc. The software we used invariably showed the entire bibliography as being "plagiarised" when, of course, it wasn't.

In turnitin, you can adjust the settings to avoid this, as well as to exclude items that are correctly quoting from a source using quotation marks and citation.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Jengie, that's why the buggers used to steal my homework from my locker at school to copy the homework.

And you never wrote a decoy set? [Devil]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
RainbowGirl
Apprentice
# 18543

- Posted      Profile for RainbowGirl     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the degree I did the university had gotten so sick of plagiarism issues that in order to graduate you had to pass one final class. Where you stood up in front of your lecturer and basically undertook a verbal exam, demonstrating not only your knowledge, but your understanding and application of the theory. Because of the type of degree they could package it as proving you had gained the type of skills (public speaking, rebuttal etc) that were essential for the degree. I don't think many students even knew that the class existed solely to weed out those who had routinely cheated. I only found out after I started working in administration at the uni.

Every other unit in the degree had a failure rate in the realms of 20-30%, that unit had a failure rate of 80%. There was no exit pathway or other way to get a degree of any sort from what you had done. I know students who took the unit four times before they managed to pass it, and they only passed through going back and reviewing the course material from every other class they had taken. It was the type of classwork and theory that you couldn't pretend to know or bluff your way though, you either knew it or you didn't.

Posts: 32 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, nothing is new. Decades ago the frats were famous for having files of papers to copy.

One of my profs said he was confident he would remember any student paper he's seen, and said if you turn in a paper that has previously been used in his course, and he recognizes it, you get an F, if he fails to recognize it and you prove it's been used in his course before, you get an A. I have no idea how many if any accepted his dare.

While I agree with a comment above that some sentences are just how something is commonly said, when a 5 page paper contains a two page block of text that perfectly matches a Wikipedia entry, that's not an accident.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

While I agree with a comment above that some sentences are just how something is commonly said, when a 5 page paper contains a two page block of text that perfectly matches a Wikipedia entry, that's not an accident.

Of course, if the student wrote the Wikipedia entry... [Biased]
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My boss (he of bucket of snails fame) tried to claim it was part of my job to help his son cheat on his university application form. His little lamb wants to go to university in the UK so he suggested that he could write his thing in French and I would translate it into English. As if I didn’t know perfectly well that the university uses the forms to assess the level of candidates’ written English skills. I point this out; he says that his son has the TOEIC so it’s all fine. I don’t care. He bloody well doesn’t have the level of an English native speaker with a Master’s degree in literature and in any case he should put in the necessary work himself. This is called cheating and I see no reason why the poor little rich kid should get ahead of other more able candidates just because Daddy pulled some strings.

I said no (and FWIW have informed the HR who are ready to back me up if he mentions it again). He still hasn’t stopped sulking about it. Yes, I am preparing my CV. Entitled rich bastards [Mad] .

Actually this fits in with a really interesting article I read a while back in Eurozine/la revue nouvelle on the subject of plagiarism. I won’t link, because it’s not in English, but basically the gist was, in a system where it’s all about getting a qualification rather than the intrinsic value of learning, many candidates see cheating as just “doing what they need to do” to get ahead. The wealthiest families can do it with impunity because they are the ones who have the means to pay “ghostwriters” rather than nicking their essays off the internet, and this enables them to get round plagiarism detection software. This acts a kind of social filter because students with lower social capital are much more likely to get caught, even though wealthier students are proportionally cheating just as much.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Of course, if the student wrote the Wikipedia entry... [Biased]
. . . he probably plagiarized it from somewhere else.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
basically the gist was, in a system where it’s all about getting a qualification rather than the intrinsic value of learning, many candidates see cheating as just “doing what they need to do” to get ahead.

This is one of the reasons I prefer exams over coursework.

Homework set throughout the course can be purely devoted to learning (if it doesn't count towards the grade, there's less incentive to cheat), and it's very much easier to invigilate an exam. (Mousethief's students were able to attempt to cheat because they were sat in a normal classroom within reach of each other. Put the students ten feet apart, and they can't make the attempt. Of course, this means you can't use your normal classroom.)

Sure - students can still memorize chunks of essay to regurgitate, rather than actually understanding the topic, but at least if they've had to memorize essay chunks then some of it might stick. RainbowGirl's viva is also a fine idea, although it's rather manpower-intensive, and has some weaknesses: you can't do "blind" (anonymous) marking, and it's difficult to cross-mark a sample to ensure even standards across multiple examiners.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at uni we were encouraged to form study gruops to revise for a statistics exam. We were told to work on old papers as exercises and we duely did. When I took the exam the questions were mathematically identical to one of the papers I'd been revising with (ie instead of saying for example "8 pilots did x" it said "8 runners did x".)

I, and everybody in my study group, got over 90%, I was incredibly embarassed as I thought everyone would assume we must have cheated. Though now that I think about it, the problem was the examiner had plagarised the previous paper (or been too lazy to rewrite his original paper in a more original way.).

My parents response to my telling them I had got over 90% in a university stats exam, was to ask why I hadn't got 100% - which may explain why some people cheat.

[ 08. February 2016, 15:28: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to have Collections at the beginning of every term - a short small exam I think designed to see if we remembered anything after the long vacation time. (Our terms were only eight weeks long.) We all cheated like crazy in them - but the grades didn't count for anything - even if we failed miserably it was just a chance for the tutor to say, buck up and pay more attention this term why don't you.

(Actually my entire degree was based on exams taken Mon-Fri in one week and it would have been hard to cheat there - the desks were about 2m apart from each other.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
We all cheated like crazy in them - but the grades didn't count for anything - even if we failed miserably it was just a chance for the tutor to say, buck up and pay more attention this term why don't you.

But they did count for something - a one-off "buck your ideas up" may only cause fleeting embarrassment, but a couple starts to look like grounds for formal sanction.
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:

(Actually my entire degree was based on exams taken Mon-Fri in one week and it would have been hard to cheat there - the desks were about 2m apart from each other.)

Me too only mine ended on the thursday. Wasn't it lovely when it was over? [Biased]

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
My parents response to my telling them I had got over 90% in a university stats exam, was to ask why I hadn't got 100% - which may explain why some people cheat.

Did we have the same father?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Put the students ten feet apart, and they can't make the attempt. Of course, this means you can't use your normal classroom.

I have trouble wrangling enough chairs for every student in my class. Apparently $30K a year doesn't stretch to cover a chair. Wrangling a whole 'nother-- and much larger-- classroom is beyond my imagination.

--------------------

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Although finding the volume of a cone isn't nearly so intractable as the Kobayashi Maru.
Unless, perhaps, there's some Banach-Tarski shenanigans going on.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink:
quote:
Did they ace all their tests at uni? Hmmm? Somehow I doubt it.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have heard that plagiarism and intellectual property are, in some ways, a cultural idea. The president of my mother's college spent a year teaching as a visiting professor in China, and found that citing sources was a totally foreign concept to the students.

When I was an article editor for a journal in law school, I used to joke that, if you were editing the citations in a student paper which had been submitted for publication, you should start by googling a few sentences from the paper, because you could usually find the paper the student plagiarized and see how the original author cited the source. (That is a bit of an exaggeration- I think we only had one that was so bad that we had to retroactively reject it.)

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
When I was at uni we were encouraged to form study gruops to revise for a statistics exam. We were told to work on old papers as exercises and we duely did. When I took the exam the questions were mathematically identical to one of the papers I'd been revising with (ie instead of saying for example "8 pilots did x" it said "8 runners did x".)

I, and everybody in my study group, got over 90%, I was incredibly embarassed as I thought everyone would assume we must have cheated. Though now that I think about it, the problem was the examiner had plagarised the previous paper (or been too lazy to rewrite his original paper in a more original way.).

Frankly, if the questions on any exam are a huge surprise, either you weren't doing the assignments and paying attention in class, or the professor wrote an unfair exam. You still had to show your work, right? It's not like you were able to regurgitate the answers from memory.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re foreign students and citations--

In my experience with Asians, it isn't that they're plagiarizing (well, I've dealt mainly with college and grad school students), it's that the academic culture they come out of puts all the emphasis on creative thought and as a byproduct, people with a bunch of footnotes think they're going to be considered lazy thinkers. It took me forever to persuade Mr. Lamb that a citation was not a Bad Thing™. Whereas American education starts off with footnote-free creativity (in lower grades) and gradually moves up the ladder to the point where some grad papers are more footnote than text. Not that we don't value creative thought, but we distrust it in the absence of a bunch of supporting documentation. At least in academia.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Apparently $30K a year doesn't stretch to cover a chair. Wrangling a whole 'nother-- and much larger-- classroom is beyond my imagination.

This is why you can only do it for exams, meaning things at the end of the year, or at the end of the degree. It's not terribly space-efficient.

This is more or less what I expect an exam to look like.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016