homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Sniff sniff ...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Sniff sniff ...
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is your favourite smell in the whole wide world?

Mine is my mint and tea tree shower gel - I wish they made perfume like it [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Green - like Christmas tress. When I was little my mother used Yardley's moss soap which was a wonderful scent (too bad it's not made anymore)

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orange blossoms. My town was the starting point of the navel orange industry in the U. S. It used to be that in blossom time the whole town smelled like a bouquet. Alas, there are now a lot more subdivisions and strip malls than groves. But when the wind is blowing right you can still get a big whiff of loveliness from the groves in the west. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We still have the lovely scent of citrus blooming every spring -- I have an orange tree in my backyard, and there are lots of citrus around.

Unfortunately, olive trees bloom at around the same time, which are a really bad allergen. People smell the citrus and assume that's what's causing their problems. I've explained to so many people that citrus pollen is heavy and sticky and can only be spread by birds and insects, whereas light, dusty olive pollen is spread by the wind.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beer

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mountain forests

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sea, especially far from civilization but near the shoreline.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
incense

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first grass cut in Spring, freshly baked bread.
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incense - I'm with Leo on this one.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coal smoke + hot oil + creosote = steam locomotives
Seaweed + sheep manure = Hebrides
Seaweed + peat = Lagavulin
Wet pine forests
Freshly baked mince pies.

And a strange one. When I inhale from an old jar of dried parsley flakes, I have a hauntingly clear picture in my mind of the meadow behind the house where we lived until I was six years old, yea these many decades ago. Parsley must have grown wild there.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
petrichor : the name of an oil that’s released from the earth into the air before rain begins to fall

[ 11. February 2017, 19:39: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daffodil
Apprentice
# 13164

- Posted      Profile for Daffodil   Author's homepage   Email Daffodil   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sawdust, lavender and the sea....
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian that clip was amazing, thank you.

I think that is my second favourite smell, my first being the smell of the New Zealand bush, especially after rain. I decided that I'm not really a bush tramper, more a bush wanderer and would be happy just to sit in a clearing and breathe. [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the smell of a stream running through the woods. This is a beloved scent from my childhood.

Horses. Love the smell of horses!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pine trees; newly-cut grass; rain after a long dry spell. Old books; incense; beeswax candles; clothes that have just come off the washing line, dried in the hot sun.

It shouldn't be too hard, when I go to heaven, for all of those things to be put near one another...

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and mixed spice - Christmas!

I'll stop now...

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are so many but I agree that Fresh Bread has to be way up there. I used to love the original Aramis cologne but sadly these days it makes me sneeze so I have transferred my affections to Cool Water by Davidoff.

The smell of onions frying gently is also pretty evocative.

[ 12. February 2017, 06:47: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks,Ian. I found that fascinating.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freshly baked bread straight from the oven takes some beating, but I'm also with WW on the subject of frying onions, especially if they have the company of a little* garlic.

Favourite commercial scents: Beautiful by Estee Lauder, because I wore it on my wedding day; Wild Musk by Coty, because (a) it's cheap; and (b) it takes me back to my youth.

Others: the smell of the old Orkney Arts Theatre back-stage, which was a heady mix of greasepaint and assorted tobacco smoke. Not particularly pleasant-sounding I know, but see (b) above.

* or quite a lot, as you wish [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Camp fire. Which is also why peaty scotch and lapsang souchon (tea). Wilderness association, of calm and away from trouble. Also sandalwood and spieck, because they are the smells of childhood, watching my father shave. Before hell openned itself into my life, and after, now, when heaven has returned. With bounce and rebound.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rain, roses, freshly ground coffee, newly baked bread, baby's heads, that white paste we used in school that reminded me of almonds, butternut squash roasting.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has to be caraway seeds. Any time I'm cooking, I can't resist just opening the jar and having a cheeky sniff.

I also confess I like the smell of some vaping products. Having grown up used to the smell of my grandmother's Rothmans cigarettes (a smell I detest) is quite nice to be walking behind someone who appears to be smoking, but then you suddenly get a faceful of something resembling freshly baked cinnamon doughnuts, or something else rather nice.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the above, although definitely not caraway seed.

Driving around I occasionally get the whiff of a bonfire with fir tree branches burning. Always lifts the spirits for some reason.
Also quite like low-level farmyard smells, dry earth etc. probably because I was reared on a small dairy farm.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A peculiar mix of diesel, freshwater lakeshore, and faint creosote, that evokes happy days in Sea Scouts.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a sort of winter flowering evergreen shrub called Christmas box that smells better than anything.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fringe Tree (Chionanthus virginicus) - blooms last for a week or so in mid-Spring here. Fresh, sweet, light, spring-like.
"Lady of the Night" orchid (Brassavola nodosa) - the scent starts in the evening, persists until dawn. One small plant perfumes the air so strongly, I can't stand it directly in the bedroom.
The scent of an old-fashioned rose will take me back to a particular day, sometime in summer of 1968 or '69 perhaps, when my family visited an Oklahoma City park with roses in full bloom. I feel warm, loved, and surrounded by beauty.
Oh, and puppy breath [Yipee]

Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spices in general, but particularly cardamom.

Citrus zest and tomato stalks.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Rain, roses, freshly ground coffee, newly baked bread, baby's heads, that white paste we used in school that reminded me of almonds, butternut squash roasting.

I'll second Tree Bee's list, add in Leo's ocean, clean dog fur, and crayons.
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mom and Dad used to have a cat that smelled like freshly mowed grass. Don't ask me, I have no idea how or why. We would pick him up and smell him often, to his great delight.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is some sort of plant or grass that grows on the verges of roads and next to streams in the undergrowth, particularly in California. When cut it smells of green and yellow summer. I have never been able to identify it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use to say a wood fire but having been through a forrest fire I am sad to say this winter the smell of the wood burning stove made me feel uneasy. Vanilla has long been a favorite, and add to that the smell of the air before a snow fall. I would also add the smell of the ocean. So many heavenly smells out there.edited to add puppies, and babies.

[ 12. February 2017, 23:42: Message edited by: Graven Image ]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mostly flower scents - violets, narcissus, wintersweet. Also some foods - roast dinner, fresh bread, spices.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coconut (except some of the fake soapy ones)

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
So many heavenly smells out there.edited to add puppies, and babies.

Puppies smell heavenly. Babies? Hmmmm, not so much!

[Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am perplexed by those who find the idea of the smell of dogs to be pleasant. Those creatures stink! A weekend of visiting my sister always entails throwing everything in the wash afterwards to get rid of the stench.

If you want a really pleasant smell, find a good bluebell wood in full bloom. Just hope there are no dog walkers about.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm - Ctrl-F - search term "bacon". No occurrences.

What's wrong with you people?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hyacinths. Hyacinths mean spring and sunshine and happy bits of childhood.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Fraser firs are the official (IMHO) aroma of Christmas. The Christmas trees being sold this year were not great. They were dry and had small needles. However, I found a lovely, four and a half-foot green, fragrant tree. My house smelled of Christmas until the middle of January! Love it!

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The origina Roger & Gallet men's eau de Cologne: citrussy and fresh, wonderful; and Chanel No 5 - two wonderful smells that transport me back to childhood.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Hmmmm - Ctrl-F - search term "bacon". No occurrences.

What's wrong with you people?

Speaking as a failed vegetarian, I think you have a point.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Old hippies who smell like patchouli.
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell smells of hyacinths.

Heaven, on the other hand, smells of so many things. Hopefully, starting with really hot-grown basil. A grassy, spicy smell unlike any other and utterly intoxicating.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A wind blowing off the sea and gusting across a California landscape filled with bay trees and wild fennel. Add lavender and it's heavenly.

Pines in the mountains.

Cardamom. Open the jar at home--lovely smell. The scent of cardamom from the spice market in Cairo--ahhh.

And the indefinable tang of the desert at Luxor (when the local farmers aren't burning sugar cane and the air is fresh).

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The slightly musty smell of old books and archives.

Freesias.

Apple pie with cinnamon.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmm...the smell of good coffee and old books. Or new books. Not fussy, me. Just books.

The smell of whatever our cathedral staff put in the Oil of Chrism....(I would wear it as a perfume if I could...).

The smell of incense.

The old smell of my favourite perfume ("Aromatics Elixir"). But either my sense of smell has altered or they have tweaked the formula because although it still smells nice it doesn't smell the same.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016