homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Holy Week Services (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Holy Week Services
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, here we go again....

Our Palm Sunday Liturgy had to be held entirely indoors, owing to the wind and rain in this part of the UK - but a small congregation in a big church does have room to move about, and we duly made the most of our spacious nave and aisles this morning. The singing was good, too, so HW has got off to a good start for us.

How was it for you?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have the opposite problem in central Arizona. We used to start the Palm Sunday service outdoors, but it is too hot this time of year, so we start in the Parish Hall and process to the church. I really don't like doing this, but that's the way it goes. [Frown]

At least the Easter Vigil can start outside in the courtyard. [Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Our Palm Sunday Liturgy had to be held entirely indoors, owing to the wind and rain in this part of the UK.

But better than the blizzard of two years ago (in Suffolk!) Here it - annoyingly - dried up during the service.

One question - we read (and joined in with) the St. Matthew Passion Narrative. I like that ... but I'd prefer to focus on the Entry on Jerusalem, and do the Passion on Friday.

Of course the real problem is not having a Sunday in between ...!

[ 29. March 2015, 13:26: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our outdoor procession precedes the main Mass only, which starts in 54 minutes. We're trying a new starting place this year, which should make us more visible to the neighborhood and passers-by. I have the late Mass today, and a Palm Sunday procession starting in the dark would be a bit strange, so we'll do the entry gospel at the back of church and then process in. This will actually be my first time reading the Christ part of the Passion. I have to balance one the one hand my ancient language geek (Aramaic! ooh!) and thormer fespian geek, with the other hand of the identification with Christ's self-gift.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went to the early service as we usually do. This family service, an all age one today, had a reenactment of the entry into Jerusalem complete with Jesus on a wooden donkey and the children dramatically flinging down their coats in front of him. Also an action song (tell me I'm not the only person here who likes them) and a clip from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. All great warm family stuff. Then we stayed on for the second service as Mr Nen was doing the projection. This was a smaller and more sedate congregation, where the sermon went on for longer and was meatier.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was damp at our place but not so much that it prevented the procession outside, which went well and the donkey was very good.

Services every day this week: Stations of the Cross and Compline for the first three evenings, then Commemoration of the Lord's Supper, etc, etc, etc.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be going to the stations of the cross tomorrow night, and if I like it I'll go Tuesday and Wednesday too. It is my first time and I don't really know what to expect. I know what the stations of the cross are as pictures, but not what it means as a service.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to an Anglican service in Warsaw today (in the parish of.....Poland) for the first time.

We had about 35 people (people were still coming in dribs and drabs till the Peace), more or less filling out the pews and chairs of the chapel. At one stage we went processing out through the sacristy, the back courtyard and round the front, getting bemused looks from Poles hearing us sing in English (saying that, about 10 of us were Poles).

We were given out the traditional Polish palms (a picture showing what I mean is here), though some like me had brought their own.

The palms weren't blessed and while the assisting priest wore a red stole, the celebrant wore a purple one. There was good playing from the organist.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wind and heavy rain meant we could't start ouside.

We did a figure of 8 procession in church - amusingly, a latecomer with her guide dog help u the procession.

So dog instead of a donkey.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The threat of heavy rain (which didn't materialise) meant that when we assembled with the brass band for the procession there were only about 80 in total, but when we arrived at the Church there was a good crowd waiting to greet the us.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in a historical Brazilian city with many churches, so lots of processions here. I walked in a procession this morning (palm leaves are easy to come by here [Smile] ) and then I went to Mass. The reading was Mark 15, which I found five days too early.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite thought the indoor procession would cause a huge traffic jam, but somehow we unwound ourselves, and found ourselves back in our original places, just as they hymn ended.

For the first time, we didn't have to stand for the very long Passion reading, for which I was very glad.

The children's play at the end was very well written, so it had a message for all ages: God's way is not our way (or the way of the original onlookers, either).

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was very windy in my part of the world too, so we had the blessing of palms at the west end then a figure of 8 procession - down the central aisle across to the south transept and up, down the central aisle again across to the north transept and up and down our old friend the central aisle again! If you're going to do processions you might as well do it in style!

Setting was to Ireland in C and we had the usual suspects for the hymns..... [Smile]

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Normal 7 minute procession between our two churches was abandoned - first time in many years, according to the 'oldtimers' - and we assembled in the old open-sided Market Hall for the Palm Sunday Gospel reading (by yours truly, in the teeth of most of a gale!) then processed the 150 yards to the church.

What it lacked in impact was more than replaced by wind and driving rain...

At least there were few onlookers...

Perhaps next year will be better!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We did our traditional ecumenical procession with the Presbyterians and Episcopalians through the neighborhood. It was cold, but we warmed things up with heartier than usual singing.

The procession always arrives at our church about 20 minutes before the appointed time for Mass (due to the schedules of the other churches). Most of the people at Mass don't participate in the procession so we repeat the Palm gospel before the entrance into the church.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our catherdrals Palm Sunday procession was to have started in a park next door BUT given Victoria BC's rainy weather we started on the steps of the catherdral then processed around the interior of the church ending up coming down the nave. Interesting and well done. [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were not at church for the 7 am service, but at 8 there was the Palm Sunday reading, followed by a short procession through the church grounds. Then the full Passion reading for the Gospel and no sermon. At 10 there was a procession through the streets with the local Catholic and Uniting Churches. There was the Palm Sunday reading and blessing of the palms we carried, and the asperges. Again the full Passion reading for the Gospel and no sermon. During the procession in the streets, we sang All glory laud and honour multiple times, then Ride on, ride on in majesty for that in church. Lots of smoke from us and the Catholics (none from the the Uniters).

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We gathered in the forecourt by the west door for preliminary readings, prayers and blessing and distribution of palm crosses. Then we all processed singing into church, the procession doing a figure of eight which caused some bottle necks. Thankfully this year we were invited to sit for the very long passion reading. In my opinion the service was too long, particularly for young children, as it took about 2 hours to complete everything from the opening to the final blessing and procession out.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit of drizzle set in so our narthex and baptistery became "outside Jerusalem" ... from there we processed, and sang (with two choirs) and read the Passion in voices, and made our communion, with solemn choral Mass (mainly Giovanni Gabrieli with an NZ plainsong by Peter Godfrey thrown in for the bits Gabrieli didn't cover ...) and I was buzzing

...until bailed up for banalities in the minutes afterwards by people who had no sense that perhaps in the post-liturgical; comedown we don't need to discuss toilets, miscreant clergy or the colour of doilies ... [Mad]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But such is the joy of belonging to the Church, which combines heavenly glories with the mundanities of ordinary life - and is the better for so doing.

Nevertheless, some people certainly can be extremely insensitive to issues of time and place!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be possible to rename this thread "Palm Sunday" and have separate threads for some of the other Holy Week services?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was very chilly in the Chicago area yesterday, but we had a robust Palm procession! We gather in the parish hall for a brief liturgy of the palms; then process out the side door, out to the main sidewalk, then down the block a bit to the front door of the church. We had the best crowd in years: it took all five verses of "All Glory, Laud and Honor," sung through twice to get everyone into church! Our choirmaster had raided my supply of rhythm-band instruments, so the children had little drums, shakers, and bells to add to the festivity.

Our new rector has moved the reading of the Passion to the end of the liturgy, and I like that very much -- it seems people focus much better, and leaving the church in silence is very affecting. We had five or six people reading the various roles, with a narrator, and of course the crowd parts. There was a very long pause after Jesus breathed his last, and you could hear a pin drop, even with so many children in church.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year my church decided to hold an Easter Egg Hunt directly after the last service on Palm Sunday. This meant that the earlier service was sparsely attended and blessedly calm. All the little ones (and their parents) were at the later service, and vast hordes of non-churchgoers turned up for the Hunt as well. There were so many children that it was something like standing in the surf at the shore -- a roaring tide rushing past you on either side with a loud noise.
I had foolishly agreed to meet some elderly friends in front of the church and it was impossible. We adjourned to a nearby restaurant and agreed that it is possibly a good thing, when there is a seething horde of people at church all shrieking with excitement.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This year my church decided to hold an Easter Egg Hunt directly after the last service on Palm Sunday.

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
There was a very long pause after Jesus breathed his last, and you could hear a pin drop, even with so many children in church.

That makes me think of the penultimate section of Stainer's "Crucifixion", before everyone joins to sing the final hymn, "All for Jesus".

Or the pause between the "Crucifixus" and "Et Resurrexit" in the Bach B Minor Mass - although that may be more of a musical than a liturgical moment.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This year my church decided to hold an Easter Egg Hunt directly after the last service on Palm Sunday. This meant that the earlier service was sparsely attended and blessedly calm. All the little ones (and their parents) were at the later service, and vast hordes of non-churchgoers turned up for the Hunt as well. There were so many children that it was something like standing in the surf at the shore -- a roaring tide rushing past you on either side with a loud noise.
I had foolishly agreed to meet some elderly friends in front of the church and it was impossible. We adjourned to a nearby restaurant and agreed that it is possibly a good thing, when there is a seething horde of people at church all shrieking with excitement.

Sorry, did you really just use the words "church", "Palm Sunday" and "Easter Egg hunt" in the same sentence?

If this is true, your Priest/Minister/whatever urgently needs to go back to theological college for retraining.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We did the whole thing at 11. Blessing of the palms at the altar, including the lesson from Exodus and the Palm Gospel. Vested in red for the blessing and procession out the side door of the church and around, back in through the front door.

Upon arrival in the sanctuary changed everything to violet and then went on with the Mass, starting with the Introit. Didn't get a chanted Passion this year, but we're shooting for next year; we want to use Burgess' edition with the turbae by Victoria.

All went well, and the retiring doyenne of the Altar Guild catered a barbecue lunch for all & sundry afterward, in place of coffee hour. Very nice!

Still on the plate : Evening Prayer on Wednesday, Maundy Thursday Mass, Solemn Liturgy of Good Friday, Easter Vigil, and then Easter Sunday followed by a well-deserved collapse.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wasn't my idea, I assure you. The rector's idea was to rake in tons and tons of people, and yeah, that being the plan it worked great. Certainly a great many unchurched people were there. And it is true that if you hook the kids you get the parents in. But the level of sugar-powered noise was stupendous. And at least it wasn't Good Friday.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's next--Midnight Mass on December 18? [Smile]

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We began outside (it was chilly but glorious) with the reading of the Gospel of the Palms. We made our way into the church singing "Hosanna Loud Hosanna", and then sang "All Glory, Laud, and Honor". Then we switched gears into the liturgy of the passion, with two readers helping me to read the entire (long form) Passion Gospel reading. I had one reading the narration bits, one reading the quotation bits, and I read Jesus' bits. I made sure the congregation shouted "Crucify him!" at the appropriate places, and had them stand when we got to Golgotha. After the Gospel, I didn't preach, but we had a moment of silence before continuing with the Creed, the prayers, and the offering. Finally, I used BCP Eucharistic prayer A (although I admit I like the UMC's prayer a wee bit better) and we sang "And Can it Be" as the recessional hymn. All in all, it was quite moving and beautiful. I had veiled the crosses and turned the paraments to red, using a trick Carys taught me to turn our bright red Pentecost paraments to the appropriate shade of dark red.

We have services all week long at lunchtime at one of my two churches; a different pastor from a community church is preaching each day. We have proper Holy Week services at the other on Thursday and Friday evenings.

Easter is going to be utterly glorious. We're worshiping outside if the weather will let us for the 7AM community service, and then the 11 service will be with all the smells and bells -- sans the smells, because I have a parishioner whom I will literally kill if we use smoke.

A wonderful, amazing, busy, tiring time of year. I love it.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
There was a very long pause after Jesus breathed his last, and you could hear a pin drop, even with so many children in church.

We had a similarly long pause, i.e., approaching five minutes, the entirety of which we were instructed to genuflect. It assuredly brought some small measure of understanding of Christ's Passion to many a parishioner.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
Would it be possible to rename this thread "Palm Sunday" and have separate threads for some of the other Holy Week services?

Having just attended the first Compline of Holy Week, I vote we just carry on with other HW services on this thread, updating as the week progresses.

I love the wonderful sense of peace and calm that descends during a late evening Compline. And so silently home to bed (after first reporting on the Ship...)

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An Easter Egg hunt on Palm Sunday doesn't surprise me totally [Disappointed]

The priest of a church where I used to sing decided, one year, to do a special evening service for those who had known people who had died within the last year, including their names being read out. Which was fair enough, it's just that a few mutterings of "we have All Souls for that" could be heard.

I just remembered that the Gloria was sung at the Eucharist I went to yesterday. The Director of Music said that the Gloria was "essential" to the Mass setting...

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

There's a Presbyterian church in San Francisco that programs a Requiem setting to be performed every Good Friday, without fail.

"Rest eternal grant Jesus, O Lord, and may light perpetual shine upon him."

#notclearontheconcept

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
Then we switched gears into the liturgy of the passion, with two readers helping me to read the entire (long form) Passion Gospel reading. I had one reading the narration bits, one reading the quotation bits, and I read Jesus' bits. I made sure the congregation shouted "Crucify him!" at the appropriate places, and had them stand when we got to Golgotha.

We have services all week long at lunchtime at one of my two churches; a different pastor from a community church is preaching each day. We have proper Holy Week services at the other on Thursday and Friday evenings.

Easter is going to be utterly glorious. We're worshiping outside if the weather will let us for the 7AM community service, and then the 11 service will be with all the smells and bells -- sans the smells, because I have a parishioner whom I will literally kill if we use smoke.

A wonderful, amazing, busy, tiring time of year. I love it.

As to the Passion reading - we have 3 readers, with Narrator, Christ and Others, with the congregation shouting the crowd bits. As usual, the Rector invites those who wish to be seated, save for kneeling at "At the 3rd hour they crucified him" following which there is a silence. Many do sit, but a lot stand.

Evening Eucharists at 7.45 pm, starting last night. The evening one on Maundy Thursday will include washing. We wash hands, not feet, as that enables everyone in a congregation of 100 or more to wash and be washed. That service commemorates the Institution of the Eucharist.

Our 5.30 on Easter morning will include the First Fire, with lots of noise. Smells, but no bells, at 8 am and a quieter, simpler Eucharist at 10. It is indeed a great week of reflection, commemoration and celebration.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The parish that I'm employed in (leaving after Easter), had a procession around the church and I'm sure they ran around at least 10 times. After the vertigo settled I played "All Glory Laud and Honour" and the Vicarage forgot the hymn had verses after the refrain so he (as self-appointed leader of the choir, the loudest man in the world) kept on singing the refrain, in total about 18 times over, making me look like a fool.

Here's looking to a good Holy Week however.

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:

(hosting) Probably not because we'll keep on rolling ... ( / hosting)

... so just my third 7.00 am eucharist for the week, my fifth eucharist in a week that is feeling increasingly arduous. Perfunctory liturgy delivered paradoxically with maximal pomposity, platitudinous comment vaguely relating to something in the newspaper or somewhere, and an order of service that is designed for nursing homes.

Where do I sign up to become a Quaker? Or do I control-freak and do everything my (humble [Disappointed] ) self?

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time to kick some arses, Mr Dean...? [Smile]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Another quiet, peaceful, candlelit Compline tonight. Except I'd been asked to fill in a review form for a person in training, who was taking the service - I did my best to retain the atmosphere. Fortunately, it went really well, so I was not too much discombobulated.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Chrism Mass last night went well. The (co-)cathedral was packed, standing room only. It was a much calmer service for me this year than last, when I was one of the deacons of the Mass. Not quite at my one year anniversary, this was my first time renewing my priestly promises. It was a good time of refreshment and renewal, but I found myself mostly focusing on prayer for those I have anointed and those preparing for various anointings coming up soon. There seemed to be much more of a focus on the use of the oils in the sacraments of initiation than on priesthood this year.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very moving sermon from the Bishop of Liverpool at yesterday's Chrism mass. Not above poking some dead horses either.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our P-in-C went to +Richborough's Chrism Mass at Canterbury today. Having spoken to +Norman and ++Justin this morning, he bagged his third Bishop of the day at our next-door parish's Taize service.......our Diocesan, James, was present, as guest pianist, no less!

+James is conducting Stations of the Cross at another nearby parish on Wednesday, and is with us for our Good Friday Liturgy as preacher.....I guess multi-tasking goes with the job.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Time to kick some arses, Mr Dean...? [Smile]

In Christian love, of course ...

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Of course. The steel-toecapped right foot of friendship.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've just found out that the church we've started going to doesn't have an Easter Vigil, just the usual services, which seems really weird and off-putting to us.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Attendance at our second Holy Week services up from four to seven. Might be in double figures by the time we get to Maundy Thursday! In fairness it's been lashing hail and blowing a gale for the last 2 days so I'm kind of glad anyone made it.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

At our church Easter starts at oh-dark-hundred with a fire, in a firepit out front. This fire is kindled with cards upon which (at Good Friday services) people have written their sins, hopefully in an illegible hand. From this fire the Paschal Candle is lit and then we swing into the 'lumen Christi' thing and the Easter procession.

What is fun, because of course it is very dark and usually cold, is that there is a webcam set up to film the fire. This is projected or shown or however it is one does it, on the big screens inside the sanctuary. Thus one may sit on a comfortable pew in the warm, and watch the Rector light the Paschal candle in the predawn darkness as a stiff breeze threatens to set his stole alight.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At our church Easter starts at oh-dark-hundred with a fire, in a firepit out front. This fire is kindled with cards upon which (at Good Friday services) people have written their sins, hopefully in an illegible hand. From this fire the Paschal Candle is lit and then we swing into the 'lumen Christi' thing and the Easter procession.

What is fun, because of course it is very dark and usually cold, is that there is a webcam set up to film the fire. This is projected or shown or however it is one does it, on the big screens inside the sanctuary. Thus one may sit on a comfortable pew in the warm, and watch the Rector light the Paschal candle in the predawn darkness as a stiff breeze threatens to set his stole alight.

[Killing me]
This describes exactly our experience last year when, for the first time, Mr Nen and I attended the Easter morning dawn service at our local Anglican church. However, it was without the firecam so we all stood outside in the cold trying to stay upwind of the billowing smoke.

We were stunned at the length of the service, which included full sung Eucharist and renewal of baptismal vows. We were due at our usual morning service at the Baptist church and almost didn't make it. [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

We are just home from the Maundy Thursday service - numbers down a fair bit, I'd say probably around 70. Smaller numbers earlier in the week of course. As usual, the service this evening was very moving, but for some reason Psalm 22 was not chanted by the choir as the altar was stripped. An excellent sermon, enough there to think about for a week, but there'll be another in the morning.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of inches of snow overnight. Noon Wednesday filled the chapel of the church. The snow and treacherous road conditions will keep people from venturing out. We've snow forecast until next week now. -- we don't generally do the outside dawn services, the vigil, inside, being the emphasis.

Such conditions have always made us wonder how a cold, snowy Easter would have been in the Middle East. Faster if outside services.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016