homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Asperges me at Notre Dame

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Asperges me at Notre Dame
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the mystery worshipper report about Notre Dame de Paris the poster expressed surprise at the form of the Asperges - a bunch of leaves being used instead of 'le goupillon/holy water sprinkler'.

The words of the antiphon begin with 'Asperges me, Domine, hyssopo et mundabor' (Thou shalt sprinkle me, Lord, with hyssop and I shall be made clean)

It's not surprising then that bunches of leaves may be used, reminding us of these plants.

Since the big changes in the outward forms of Mass, the ceremony of the Asperges, so common everywhere at the beginning of the principal Sunday Mass, has virtually disappeared.

A number of churches continue the ceremony during the Easter period as a reminder of our baptism. There is, however, no general ban on the ceremony; I think that the London Oratory has it every Sunday.

Of course, in spite of the connection in the antiphon with the hyssop plant, the antiphon during the Easter Season is instead 'Vidi aquam egredientem de templo a latere dextro''(I saw water coming out of the right side of the temple).

The 10.00 Mass at N.D. is a Mass with Gregorian chant. The 18.30 Mass is generally celebrated by the Archbishop of Paris or one of his auxiliary bishops and is broadcast every week by the French Catholic TV channel KTO

[Edited to supply link to report and to fix formatting errors]

[ 19. May 2015, 18:01: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been splashed with water as often as not at the principal Sunday mass in Spanish cathedrals.

And of course some of us anglicans do it every Sunday. [Smile]

A E Housman measured his life out in cherry blossom times; for me I note the decreasing number of times I'll sing the Vidi Aquam!

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed reading this report. I do not often experience the asperges now, but one liturgy throughout the year, one is virtually certain to have it, is the Easter Vigil.

When I am in Paris on a Sunday, I like to attend the 18.30 evening Mass, normally celebrated by Cardinal Vingt-Trois, the present Archbishop. However, last year, I was briefly in Paris one Saturday for midday at Notre Dame. Alas, it was just the one Saturday the midday Mass was cancelled due to an earlier special Mass with the Archbishop and I could not attend a later Mass this time.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't have an Easter Vigil at Our Place, but we do have the Renewal of Baptismal Vows during the Easter Sunday Parish Mass. We use a large sprig of rosemary (from the Sacristan's garden), and..er... liberal amounts of Holy Water.......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We begin Mass with the sprinkling rite every Sunday during the Easter season. Our aspergillium is shaped like a big shaving brush. It works well enough that our pastor has nick-named it the "sacred super-soaker." This year, we've been using a setting by Chrysogonus Waddell, OCSO with refrain "You have put on Christ, in him you have been baptized. Alleluia, Alleluia!" Our congregation of somewhat reticent singers have taken to it very well.

As my first Mass was the 2nd Sunday of Easter, I began it with sprinkling. Very effective at casting out nerves! I have a very clear memory of my emcee's smiling face (a good friend a year below me in the seminary) as I gave him a good dousing with my last flick of super soaker.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hyssop leaves are all well and good, but there's something about a gold aspergillium that just, erm, **fits**!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Intrepid Thurifer
Shipmate
# 77

- Posted      Profile for Intrepid Thurifer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this for an over the top Asperges:

Link

[edited to shorten link and fix broken scroll lock! djo]

[ 20. May 2015, 10:11: Message edited by: dj_ordinaire ]

Posts: 142 | From: Melbourne Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Hyssop leaves are all well and good, but there's something about a gold aspergillium that just, erm, **fits**!

Agreed, or silver, which is what we have at our parish,
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last Sunday I was at mass at Brive la Galliarde in France and there was an adult baptism during the Pentecost mass. After the baptism, we all said the Apostle's Creed and the priest went round the church with a very large rosemary sprig sprinkling us with holy water held in a container by the deacon.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016