homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Let us be honest. Islam’s ideology is immoral to its core. Should we ask the Haigh an (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Let us be honest. Islam’s ideology is immoral to its core. Should we ask the Haigh an
Greatest I am
Shipmate
# 18671

- Posted      Profile for Greatest I am   Email Greatest I am   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
The type and reach of Islam obviously varies a lot, even in the Western countries where most of us on this website live. It's possible that the OP reflects anxieties borne out of difficult local conditions.

Be that as it may, even if we agreed with the OP I can't see how 'we' would get rid of Islam. It's not a small, tribal religion. It's followers are youthful on the whole, and they don't fear the non-Muslim world.

To engage in a war against all Muslims would only create more bloodshed and antagonism. That surely goes without saying. As things stand, the theological and ethical arguments would also destroy Christian and secular communities.

True that if authorities looked closely at all of our social control systems, governments and religions, they might find them lacking.

As to war, not required.

Others have and will outlaw Islam so that is not a great problem except to weak governments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO9m6OstwNo

Regards
DL

Posts: 86 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greatest I am,

It would be appreciated if you can share what you think, rather than just post lots of links to other sites. People here want to read and discuss what you think, rather than read/watch what someone else says. Discussion here works better if people take their time to compose responses that express their opinions clearly and thoughtfully, even if that leaves some points not addressed, rather than quick fire responses to everything.

Alan
Ship of Fools Admin

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Greatest I am:
Let us be honest. Islam’s ideology is immoral to its core.

Let us be honest. This is no way to set up an actual debate.
Let us be honest. The OP is deeply dishonest.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears that this gentleman has discovered some really poisonous websites.

Not that I found it profitable to spend much time examining them.
GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BabyWombat:
In my years in health care I have worked closely with Muslims (and this in a rural setting where one might expect such to be rare): they were lovely, peaceful, caring professionals focused on doing good and bringing healing and health to their patients, most of whom were Christian or Jewish.

In my current clerical placement our neighboring UU pastor also has ordination (or whatever it is called in the sect) as an Islamic Sufi leader. She is a gentle, kind and giving individual passionate for justice and peace for everyone. She is a trusted colleague.

The Fred Phelps folk were Christian, and did evil things (not reopening that debate, which is on the Hell thread). ISIS and their ilk are Muslims, and do evil things (of greater ferocity and impact.)

IMHO we know people by their works, their actions in our midst. To call for a ban on a religious tradition solely based on the actions of a few… well, we’d all be left without religion, for I suspect there is not one that has fallen short of the original ideal.

Anecdotal renderings are always interesting but not as interesting as the statistics of evil shown for the religion you like.

I guess that you have yet to look at their practices from a moral POV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pSPvnFDDQHk

Regards
DL

Like you?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As to war, not required.

Others have and will outlaw Islam so that is not a great problem except to weak governments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO9m6OstwNo

But how would the abolition of religious freedom create a world with less antagonism? Has that worked in the past?

I've tried to find more up-to-date information about Angola's attempt to 'outlaw Islam', but there's not a lot of info online. What seems to be happening is the enforced closure of mosques.

What we should realise from the Christian experience is that just closing places of public worship isn't enough to get rid of a religion. People can gather, teach and worship in their homes. They can meet in public rooms without using the word 'mosque'. (Indeed, in my city the word is being replaced by 'masjid', which is apparently more authentically Muslim.)

If Angola has decided that people must be criminalised just for being Muslims that's yet another step towards totalitarianism. If the leaders are not careful they could create the kind of resentment and confrontation that they were specifically trying to avoid. How foolish of them.

(And I'm not sure what they mean by calling Islam a 'cult'. It's a subjective term.)

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The horrors of Charlie Hebdo, Bataclan and Nice are potentially unhinging.

You need to go and live in Russia or China GIa, they have Islamophobic governments, until you get Festung Europa back.

What do you think of your fellow countryman's analysis here?

[ 04. October 2016, 17:49: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016