homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Gay weddings - what happens next? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gay weddings - what happens next?
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've half heard a report of the first French marriage, and it finished with a reference to death threats and people needing bodyguards. I can't find anything online about it, so I don't know if it is the grooms and/or the mayor who have been threatened. There have been threats to the politicians before.

Not a good way to remember a day which should be happy.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm genuinely trying to think of situations where someone's marital status, or indeed 'relationship' status, is of any real relevance such that I might need to comment on it and express a view as to its validity.

I'm not coming up with a lot. It's pretty much restricted to either chatting a guy up, being chatted up by a guy, and finding out if a party invitation is for 2.

So I do wonder if the 'problem' in the OP has any practical relevance whatsoever. How often will it ACTUALLY matter to Mudfrog whether a same sex couple is married or not?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

So I do wonder if the 'problem' in the OP has any practical relevance whatsoever. How often will it ACTUALLY matter to Mudfrog whether a same sex couple is married or not?

Never - except in his own mind if he wants to pigeonhole them.
Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose some people have the problem as to how to show their displeasure at gay marriage. They are aware that this is socially inept, but on the other hand, it sticks in the craw just to be polite, as then one's displeasure remains unknown.

Do people still have craws? I believe they survive in a few small Scottish islands.

Anyway, I believe that a disdainful sniff is considered quite appropriate in some milieus.

[ 31. May 2013, 09:31: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God forbid we not be able to make OUR displeasures known, and loudly, and immediately, whenever we feel like it. The one important thing for my getting along in the world is that everybody whose life, choices, or existential being I dislike should know it, and know it immediately.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone sent me a series of comments from the Daily Telegraph - I can't link to it as it is paywalled - but:

someone stared
quote:
Nothing could be more opposed to Biblical teaching than homosexual marriage.
I wondered - what, not world hunger, genocide or nuclear war?

Another said
quote:
bishops are appointed, in effect, by the government. So, especially since 1997, they have only got the job if their credentials are politically correct
and I thought: no, thet sit automatically when someone at the top of the queue retires or dies.

This is the level of ignorance among opponents.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What did I read in a recent newspaper comments section where some local worthy was bloviating about The Gay? Lessee...we all hate God...God hates us...we deserve to die...if The Gay in fact all died, it would be an improvement for life on earth.

Keep talking like that, sir, and you will NOT be on our 25th anniversary party list.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pondering all this fairly recently, I couldn't help wondering why homosexuals with their often superior talents would want to do something so reactionary, retro, privet-hedge gazingly conventional as 'get married'. At least in the old days it was a little more avant guard and Brave New World.

A friend told me about France which has recently allowed gay marriage 'a French wit remarked 'but no-one gets married in France these days anyway, except a few old Jesuits.'

Gay divorce? Becoming a Gwidow?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes Sebbie...gay divorce. And death of spouse -- widow if the survivor is female, widower if the survivor is male.

Here we've just celebrated the 10th anniversary of allowing same-sex couples to marry (not same-sex marriage, please, just regular ordinary marriage open to same-sex couples). There have been divorces, and, I presume, deaths among the married. Stands to reason -- some of them had been living together for 40 years or more when they were finally allowed to marry, and not so many people live into their 80s and 90s.

And you know what? It hasn't made a hoot of difference to the married straights, to the living common-law straights, to the just living together straights, to the serially monogamous straights, to the divorced or widowed straights, to the promiscuous straights or to the chaste or celibate straights. Or to anyone else.

John

[ 14. June 2013, 17:52: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Pondering all this fairly recently, I couldn't help wondering why homosexuals with their often superior talents would want to do something so reactionary, retro, privet-hedge gazingly conventional as 'get married'. At least in the old days it was a little more avant guard and Brave New World.

A brief explanation from blogger Andrew Sullivan:

quote:
A friend recalled visiting a man dying of AIDS at the time. A former massive bodybuilder, he had shrunk to 90 pounds. “Do I look big?” he asked, with mordant humor. In the next bed, surrounded by curtains, my friend heard someone singing a pop song quietly to himself. My friend joked: “Well not everyone here is depressed!” Then this from his dying, now skeletal friend: “Oh, that’s not him. He died this morning. That’s his partner. That was their song, apparently. The family took the body away, threw that guy out of the apartment he shared with his partner, and barred him from the funeral. He’s stayed there all day, singing their song. I guess it’s the last place he’ll ever see where his partner actually was. His face is pressed against the pillow. The nurses don’t have the heart to tell him to leave.”
Maybe the drive for same-sex marriage comes from the very hard way the gay community learned that if you're sick, or dying, or in any other kind of trouble, you can't count on your birth family, and you certainly can't count on your church, and that without some kind of rock-solid legal framework the family you've built for yourself is precarious at best.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To paraphrase a meme from the feminist movement, I suspect the desire for marriage stems from "the radical notion that [homosexuals] are people."

And a vast majority of people, after all, get married.

[ 14. June 2013, 20:29: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...but in 2013? Surely there is something more imaginative and possible than 'getting married' or in other words dressing as a meringue for a day and being boringly ordinary. My point is that perhaps gay people are above all that, possibly bighter and more imaginative.

--------------------
sebhyatt

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...but in 2013? Surely there is something more imaginative and possible than 'getting married' or in other words dressing as a meringue for a day and being boringly ordinary. My point is that perhaps gay people are above all that, possibly bighter and more imaginative.

And for those gay people who wish to be 'more imaginative', the option of not marrying is open to them. But at the moment in the UK, the option of marrying - for those tedious, traditionalist gay people who like the idea - is not open to them. I look forward to the day when this changes.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

oh I agree. And most certainly for tax reasons. But I expect more avant guard-ness and colour and less boringly ordinary. I prefer single for all genders. But lots of sex of course.

--------------------
sebhyatt

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
At the moment in the UK, the option of marrying - for those tedious, traditionalist gay people who like the idea - is not open to them. I look forward to the day when this changes.

For PR purposes I think it's unfortunte that 'tedious, traditionalist gay people' aren't the kind of gay people who are usually in the public eye talking about this issue. SSM is usually presented as a poke in the eye for traditionalism. The popular presentation is always about being modern, about dragging old-fashioned people and ideas into the 21st c.

The 'non-traditionalist' reading of marriage that we find here on the Ship is that straight folk have already destroyed marriage. If so, there's not much that's tedious and traditional about it; SSM is either a battleground for legal protection (in countries without civil partnerships) and/or a cultural struggle to disabuse straight people of the mistaken idea that marriage IS traditional.

What will happen once straight people no longer kid themselves that marriage is traditional? Who knows? The USA has a very high marriage rate compared to the rest of the developed world, so perhaps the only way is down. Marriage is already at its lowest rate ever in the UK, so there's probably not much 'de-traditionalisation' to do.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I couldn't help wondering why homosexuals with their often superior talents would want to do something so reactionary, retro, privet-hedge gazingly conventional as 'get married' ... Surely there is something more imaginative and possible than 'getting married' or in other words dressing as a meringue for a day and being boringly ordinary. My point is that perhaps gay people are above all that, possibly bighter and more imaginative. ... But I expect more avant guard-ness and colour and less boringly ordinary.

[Roll Eyes]

That's a lot of expectations to have about someone else's relationships.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
That's a lot of expectations to have about someone else's relationships.

It sure is. And I'm wondering just how painting a whole diverse group of people as superior in talent, intelligence, etc., helps the process of assimilating any group historically designated as "other" into mainstream society.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why limit being imaginative and bight [sic] to the gays? Surely you want all the straights to stop "dressing as a meringue for a day", since if it's gross for a gay, it's surely equally gross for a straight and a simple desire to avoid hypocrisy would dictate that what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

[tangent] And what's this "dressing as a meringue for a day" and what does it have to do with getting married? Does the groom have to cover himself with sugared egg white and spend the night before the wedding in a slow oven? Does the bride have to arrive with a strawberry pavlova (in season) on her head? The mind boggles.[/tangent]

John

[ 15. June 2013, 16:09: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

That is how most couples do look on their wedding day.

And I also agree with you. I wouldn't recommend 'marriage' for straights either; a silly outdated institution.

It is just a little like baby gorillas. They bounce about and are fun and imaginative until..they settle down with a 'mate'; then they sit on their arses and eat bananas all day.

I have very high expectations of gay people - and I wouldn't lump them all together by using the phrase 'the gay community'. The idea that they need assimilating into 'normal' society is both patronising and, one would imagine, horribly stifling.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Shorter version: Why aren't homosexuals abiding by my stereotypes of them?

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

No. You are providing the sterotype. Not I. Are you gay?

--------------------
sebhyatt

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

Shorter version: I believe 'marriage' to be completely ludicrous in 2013 and wonder why certain people might wish to go for it.

I do understand that equality under the law is necessary and there has been much ridiculous discrimination for centuries. I suspoect that this discrimination might still exist for those, gay or straight, who wish to be single.

--------------------
sebhyatt

St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Shorter version: I believe 'marriage' to be completely ludicrous in 2013 and wonder why certain people might wish to go for it.

You're right, sebby. Totally pointless.

So my partner and I will just buy a house and move in together. It's that simple.

Joint ownership, of course. We want to make sure that if one of us dies the other one still has the house.

And of course we'll need to ensure that we inherit each other's possessions, as well, so that we still have money for the mortgage and all our furniture.

And we need to make sure we have medical proxy and power of attorney for each other, just in case we're incapacitated somehow.

And I guess since we're planning to have kids we'd better make sure that we both have custody for them. And someone in government should probably make sure that we're providing for them.

...you know, that's a hell of a lot of paperwork. It's a pity there isn't some super-simple way of doing it all at once. Hmm... what would we call that?

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

One sees the point, of course, if one wanted to go in for all that you describe.

But I would have no personal comprehension why someone would want to settle down...like some straights do for an increasingly short period of time...and as for having children, one feels mercifully biologically preserved from such a horror. The expense! The tie! Like having hamsters but for longer.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:

For PR purposes I think it's unfortunte that 'tedious, traditionalist gay people' aren't the kind of gay people who are usually in the public eye talking about this issue. SSM is usually presented as a poke in the eye for traditionalism. The popular presentation is always about being modern, about dragging old-fashioned people and ideas into the 21st c.

The 'non-traditionalist' reading of marriage that we find here on the Ship is that straight folk have already destroyed marriage. If so, there's not much that's tedious and traditional about it; SSM is either a battleground for legal protection (in countries without civil partnerships) and/or a cultural struggle to disabuse straight people of the mistaken idea that marriage IS traditional.

What will happen once straight people no longer kid themselves that marriage is traditional? Who knows? The USA has a very high marriage rate compared to the rest of the developed world, so perhaps the only way is down. Marriage is already at its lowest rate ever in the UK, so there's probably not much 'de-traditionalisation' to do. [/QB]

You can see the results already since the US now is a patchwork of states that allow ssm and traditionalist states that don't.

The divorce rate is much higher in the traditionalist states. It's marry young and divorce frequently in the traditionalist Christian groups. No doubt they're still reeling from the damage done by allowing inter-racial marriage in the last fifty years in the US.

So I would guess your prediction that ssm marriage is going to destroy marriage so far has turned out to be wrong. I'll let the Canadians here tell the story of what SSM has done to straight marriage in Canada.

My own prediction is that SSM will not destroy marriage but it will badly weaken traditional Christianity because those churches are more and more seen as a source of bigotry and hatred. Young people who grow up knowing gay people and knowing gay couples are much less willing to believe what is being spewed by their church leaders.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
oh I agree. And most certainly for tax reasons. But I expect more avant guard-ness and colour and less boringly ordinary. I prefer single for all genders. But lots of sex of course.

Feel free to be avant-garde and colorful yourself. Don't expect others to want it imposed on them.
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

The divorce rate is much higher in the traditionalist states. It's marry young and divorce frequently in the traditionalist Christian groups. No doubt they're still reeling from the damage done by allowing inter-racial marriage in the last fifty years in the US.

So I would guess your prediction that ssm marriage is going to destroy marriage so far has turned out to be wrong.
[...]
My own prediction is that SSM will not destroy marriage but it will badly weaken traditional Christianity because those churches are more and more seen as a source of bigotry and hatred. Young people who grow up knowing gay people and knowing gay couples are much less willing to believe what is being spewed by their church leaders.

I didn't actually say that SSM would 'destroy' marriage in the USA. (What a cliché that would be!) Rather, I think that the innovation of SSM will work alongside the previous innovation of high divorce rates to make marriage increasingly look less and less like a 'traditional' choice.

I find it hard to believe that American churches can sanction frequent divorce for generation after generation without it having any impact on the marriage rate. In fact, I often read online comments by American men who swear that (straight) marriage is bad for their sex, because they lose out when they divorce. If this is reflective of real attitudes, it surely means that straight marriage is likely to decline in the USA, regardless of SSM. SSM simply reinforces the creeping social reality that there are other options to be had besides a straight marriage. But of itself I don't think it's going to 'destroy' marriage, no.

Different countries will have different outcomes, though. In countries that don't have the USA's high marriage and divorce rates, nor its highly distinctive experienceof 'traditional Christianity', SSM may have more of an impact.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When same-sex marriage was made legal here in San Francisco, in 2004, the mayor asked
Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon to be the first couple married. They'd already been together 50 years.

Somehow, I don't think they were any kind of bad example.

As to the argument that having more marriage options will further weaken marriage:

a) It's not like straight people are going to say, "hey, I'm going to try the other side of the street for the first time and marry the person!"

b) I think most people--LGBT, straight, asexual, curious, undecided, too busy--are just trying to get on with their lives.

c) Perhaps the real fear underlying the "they'll destroy marriage!" argument in the world at large is "what if these people we fear, vilify, and despise...turn out to be better at marriage than straight folks?"

What if SSM revitalizes marriage, instead of destroying it?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sebby, I'd issue a Hell call if I wasn't tethered to my iPhone and keeping my posts as short as possible. The whole point of SSM is to give same sex couples the same range of choices to be as boring or colourful as they want that straight folk take for granted, not to make being married compulsory.

And for what it's worth, I know that even couples into the leather scene and kinky sexual practices want to get married. It's not an either/or situation.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goldenkey said:
quote:
c) Perhaps the real fear underlying the "they'll destroy marriage!" argument in the world at large is "what if these people we fear, vilify, and despise...turn out to be better at marriage than straight folks?"
You know, I hear people saying this and it always irritates me. Not because I am opposed to SSM (I support it) but because it seems to assume that homosexuals are superhuman. Maybe that's better than assuming that they're subhuman, as many SSM opponents do, but they're just human. Neither better or worse than anyone else; some of them will not be interested in getting married, some will rush into imprudent marriages and get divorced a few years later, some will settle down with their soulmate for 25 or 40 or 50 years. The fact that some of these marriages may not last does not invalidate the rest of them, any more than a celebrity's serial divorces would invalidate my marriage.

ISTM that the real fear of those violently opposed to SSM is that they will be called upon to, you know, behave with ordinary civility towards These People and act as if their relationships are somehow special and deserving of support. That's the real sticking point; up to now it has been possible to pretend gays and lesbians don't exist, or at least to refuse to take their relationships seriously. Allowing them to get married changes that.

We won't really have achieved true equality until people stop justifying SSM by saying that 'they' are better at marriage than straights. It's like saying that women should only be allowed to do a job if they can prove they can do it better than a man.

[ 17. June 2013, 13:06: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I think that the innovation of SSM will work alongside the previous innovation of high divorce rates to make marriage increasingly look less and less like a 'traditional' choice. ...

This makes it sound like straight people will choose to marry someone of the same sex, rather than the opposite sex, just as they can now choose to divorce their partner, rather than stay married. Jane and Frank are in love, but straight marriage is only one of the many options available for their relationship. So let's have Jane marry Susan and Frank marry John. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
I didn't actually say that SSM would 'destroy' marriage in the USA. (What a cliché that would be!) Rather, I think that the innovation of SSM will work alongside the previous innovation of high divorce rates to make marriage increasingly look less and less like a 'traditional' choice.

Are high divorce rates really an "innovation", something mandated by a central authority? Or is it something chosen by individuals? Sure, certain policies can make divorce easier, such as recognizing women as legal persons who can file for divorce on their own behalf, or the end of the worst of workplace gender discrimination allowing a divorced woman to exist above a bare subsistence level. But I'm not sure that these are, in themselves, bad things, nor do I think that lowering divorce rates is such an unadulterated good that it requires sacrificing them.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

I take American exceptionalism on board, so it's quite possible that this will happen in the USA. I don't think this has happened in other places where SSM has come into being, though. Someone may have some examples to share.

Re high divorce rates being an innovation: what I meant by that was that they represented a huge change in society. It's hardly a right-wing thing to say; plenty of sociologists and feminists would agree that the mainstreaming of divorce was a significant cultural turning point in Western society, whether for good or ill. SSM too represents an innovation - not that straight people are going to enter into gay marriages(!), but simply that an age-old heterosexual institution is now being brought kicking and screaming into a new era, with new values. (Well, there's been more kicking and screaming in some countries than in others! Let's keep a sense of proportion!)

[ 17. June 2013, 15:12: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But is that a bad thing? If people are only getting married because it's a 'traditional' choice, their relationship is off to a rocky start already.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

But is that a bad thing? If people are only getting married because it's a 'traditional' choice, their relationship is off to a rocky start already.
Palimpsest talked about how Americans in 'traditionalist Christian groups' often marry young and divorce frequently. IF SSM discourages that kind of 'traditionalism' then it would ill behove Christians elsewhere to complain, absolutely!
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice slogan then for the up and coming energetic Christian: marry young and frequently!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Palimpsest talked about how Americans in 'traditionalist Christian groups' often marry young and divorce frequently. IF SSM discourages that kind of 'traditionalism' then it would ill behove Christians elsewhere to complain, absolutely!
Heh. This amuses me because I fell into the same traditionalist trap and got married very young, at 22. Because it's not right to be having sex before marriage, yes?

Of course, my wife and I were the same gender and it wasn't a legal marriage so when her mother gave her $1000 to leave me because she didn't want a dyke for a daughter, all it took was her signing one piece of paper to clear out our joint bank account (of which I was the only one depositing money into 'cause I was supporting her through graduate studies), another signature to relinquish the apartment to my name only, and throwing all my books in the back of her father's pickup to 'finalize' the 'divorce'.

We're all young and stupid at one point, while the former is taken care of by merely surviving long enough, sometimes it takes some painful lessons to get over the latter.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

I take American exceptionalism on board, so it's quite possible that this will happen in the USA. I don't think this has happened in other places where SSM has come into being, though. Someone may have some examples to share.

Re high divorce rates being an innovation: what I meant by that was that they represented a huge change in society. It's hardly a right-wing thing to say; plenty of sociologists and feminists would agree that the mainstreaming of divorce was a significant cultural turning point in Western society, whether for good or ill. SSM too represents an innovation - not that straight people are going to enter into gay marriages(!), but simply that an age-old heterosexual institution is now being brought kicking and screaming into a new era, with new values. (Well, there's been more kicking and screaming in some countries than in others! Let's keep a sense of proportion!)

The amusing part is that it's already been dragged into a new era by women who wanted marriage to be a partnership of 2 equals. SSM is merely the logical outcome of that process, but some people didn't realise this was where gender equality led.

Of course, some people DID kick and scream against sex discrimination laws and the allowance of women into male spheres, but they generally lost.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
You know, I hear people saying this and it always irritates me. Not because I am opposed to SSM (I support it) but because it seems to assume that homosexuals are superhuman. Maybe that's better than assuming that they're subhuman, as many SSM opponents do, but they're just human. Neither better or worse than anyone else; some of them will not be interested in getting married, some will rush into imprudent marriages and get divorced a few years later, some will settle down with their soulmate for 25 or 40 or 50 years. The fact that some of these marriages may not last does not invalidate the rest of them, any more than a celebrity's serial divorces would invalidate my marriage

SSM couples don't have as much of the "we've just discovered we're pregnant so we'll have to marry to raise the offspring" marriages as hetero couples. I don't know how much that's a factor given modern contraception, but it wouldn't surprise me if a significant number of bad heterosexual marriages start that way.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
SSM couples don't have as much of the "we've just discovered we're pregnant so we'll have to marry to raise the offspring" marriages as hetero couples. I don't know how much that's a factor given modern contraception, but it wouldn't surprise me if a significant number of bad heterosexual marriages start that way.

I don't have the numbers, but I'm sure you're right on this one.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Palimpsest:
quote:
The point is not whether or not SSM couples will be better or worse at marriage than hetero couples. The point is that marriage (just marriage, as John H and the other Canadians keep saying) should be available to all freely consenting adults. That's all I'm trying to say.

Though you're right as well; having children places a lot of strain on a couple's relationship, and only heterosexuals are likely to have them unexpectedly...

It is probably safe to say that the number of heterosexual marriages that start off because of an unexpected pregnancy is smaller now than it ever has been; at least in countries where contraception and abortion are freely available.

In the UK it's fairly normal for couples to delay marriage until they want to start having children; buying a house together is the new sign of serious commitment. Perhaps this is another reason why some people find it difficult to understand why anyone who doesn't want or can't have children would want to get married?

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Palimpsest:
quote:
The point is not whether or not SSM couples will be better or worse at marriage than hetero couples. The point is that marriage (just marriage, as John H and the other Canadians keep saying) should be available to all freely consenting adults. That's all I'm trying to say.

I agree that it should be available to all freely consenting adults. I was addressing the point you made about being irritated that people assume homosexuals would be better at marriage. There are probably fewer bad homosexual marriages because it's rarely caused by feckless propagation.
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say that the social acceptance of divorce actually raised the marriage rate, if by that you mean the number of marriages performed per unit of population. That's because people now had 2 or 3 or 5 or more over their lifetime rather than just one.

It was the social acceptance of couples living together without being married that reduced the marriage rate (as well as the divorce rate.) In many cases the more "Christian" conservative states / groups haven't progressed as far in this regard, so they are still at the point of having higher rates for both.

Because LGBT people are already more used to living together without benefit of marriage, I'd expect a smaller percentage of current relationships to choose that option when it is available to them. But as society becomes less judgmental about such things I would expect the rates to increase somewhat.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Palimpsest:
quote:
I was addressing the point you made about being irritated that people assume homosexuals would be better at marriage.
The reason why it irritates me - as I explained - is that people making this argument in support of SSM seem to be conceding that marriage should only be open to same-sex couples if they are going to be good at it. ISTM that this argument weakens their case - and it's hard for those outside a relationship to judge its quality anyway. Look at all the 'happily married' couples who end up getting divorced or murdering each other without any outward signs that their relationship was heading towards the rocks...

I agree with your point that same-sex couples don't have to worry about unexpected offspring. But there are plenty of other stresses that affect everyone, and nobody can really be sure (in advance) that they will be able to keep their marriage vows for the rest of their life, however hard they try.

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just adding a note to report that Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) has made a significant statement in favour of SSM becoming legal.

Statement here

Based on good libertarian theology (sorry - political theory), and invoking Ronald Reagan, so it should sell well among the GOP.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Carex

Your comments above seem to be somewhat specific to the American context. In the USA marriage seems to be highly valued in general (except among certain groups) to the extent that people continue to remarry after divorce, and cohabitation is less common. Also, in the USA marriage seems to bring real legal benefits. These conditions don't apply to the same extent in Europe.

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I want to know is why will it still be possible to create new civil partnerships? What is the point, given that the rights are exactly the same and the ceremony is only slightly different?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the USA it has been my observation that interest in SSM seems to be highest amongst youg, romantic and idealistic lesbian and gay folk -- 20-somethings -- and the well-into-middle-age or older long-term couples. Those in the middle have seemed to me often less interested in a legal marriage. I don't think this is so much a generational artifact per se, as a phase of life one. For those of us who've spent decades together, we are apt to realise how important it is to secure our legal rights in respect to one another in the anticipation of the infirmities of old age, unanticipated early death, an the ultimate end-of-life realities, as well as matters of inheritance. survivor benefits and other financial advantages. Those younger, or those who rely a great deal on denial as a coping mechanism, aren't so apt to think in terms of the importance of these aspects of marriage. However, in the case of the younger adult and even adolescent gay and lesbian cadre now coming up, the real possibility of the social recognition of marriage - and their developmentally natural romanticism and idealism - seem to be strong motivating factors for marriage.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Sebby, I'd issue a Hell call if I wasn't tethered to my iPhone and keeping my posts as short as possible. The whole point of SSM is to give same sex couples the same range of choices to be as boring or colourful as they want that straight folk take for granted, not to make being married compulsory.

And for what it's worth, I know that even couples into the leather scene and kinky sexual practices want to get married. It's not an either/or situation.

I completely agree with the notion of equality - to be boring or otherwise. I DO question the necessity - and certainly desirablilty - of marriage. In fact, I would disgree with the phrase 'it is not good for man to be alone' wholeheartedly; I would recommend it. But go and enjoy the sex.

--------------------
sebhyatt

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Carex

Your comments above seem to be somewhat specific to the American context. In the USA marriage seems to be highly valued in general (except among certain groups) to the extent that people continue to remarry after divorce, and cohabitation is less common. Also, in the USA marriage seems to bring real legal benefits. These conditions don't apply to the same extent in Europe.

I'm genuinely puzzled why you always respond in this sort of fashion, Svitlana, looking for ways to distinguish the situation in your country from the situation in other countries.

As far as I can see, the desire of people to couple and to have their coupling recognised is pretty consistent. Anywhere that same sex couples are allowed to marry, they do it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016