homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Eaglet on the way!!! (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eaglet on the way!!!
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
E9 is branching right now! He is rapidly leaving cute behind and heading toward awesome.
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When he yawns, he's still showing his cute factor!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
E9 accidentally fledged this morning. He was exercising his wings a little too vigorously and lost his balance. He dropped to a branch just below the nest and then glided to the ground. Harriet and M15 brought him fish on the ground and they all ate together.

He is only about a week early with his fledging so he will probably be fine sitting on low branches with feeding help from his parents, or he might make it back to the nest.

I don't know why I feel so sad.

P.S. On top of this the nest in Hanover, Pa is covered in snow and the eggs are due to hatch in three days. The female on that nest lost both her eaglets last year and she really deserves a little happiness. Darn nature!

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of snowy nests, guess who's back?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
E9 accidentally fledged this morning. He was exercising his wings a little too vigorously and lost his balance. He dropped to a branch just below the nest and then glided to the ground. Harriet and M15 brought him fish on the ground and they all ate together.

He is only about a week early with his fledging so he will probably be fine sitting on low branches with feeding help from his parents, or he might make it back to the nest.

I don't know why I feel so sad.

Empty nest syndrome. (I swear I couldn't help it!)

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

[Big Grin]
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Sigh)

It is with a heavy heart that I report that Henry, one of the Wellesley raven parents, died after crashing into a classroom window today.

Pauline seems to be feeding herself and keeping the eggs warm, but understandably the raven fans are pretty shook up.

And as I was typing my respects this morning, a local raven landed in a nearby tree and called out for a good five minutes. 😢

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just in luck and saw our young Florida friend take off from a branch near the nest. S/he flies sort of like a toddler walks, eager but a bit unsteady. Well, it is windy. Now we see it looking pretty pleased with itself on one of the bare, higher branches, surveying the territory.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Kelly, I'm sorry for your Ravens. I don't follow them but I know how upsetting it is when you've bonded with a family.

This Hanover Pennsylvania family I've mentioned had a similar bad incident a few years ago when the male got hit by a car, the next year she remarried this younger hubby and brought him up right with lots of bossiness! Last year was the accident with a sucker branch that killed the newborn chick and the unhatched egg -- but this year, all is heavenly with two brand new eaglets and all four eagles doing well.

Lyda, I love that SWFL toddler! He's the first one I've watched with a movable camera so we can see his awkward flights. I try to catch him about 6:30 A.M. Ohio time when he's just waking up and jumping up and down in the nest, ready for breakfast. A-dorable.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Washington DC a baby eagle hatched yesterday! There was also another one earlier this month.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Kelly. [Frown] I know it's nature, but that's so sad.

Love the baby fuzzballs! Then Mom and Dad feeds them and they get huge before you know it!!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

So, am I the only one who talks to the eagles on my computer? One of the parents was being divebombed by some smaller birds. (Grackles? Mockingbirds? It was hard to tell.) The eagle opened its beak as if to say, "I'm a big bird, and I can gobble you up in one bite!" so I was telling it to go ahead and tell the little bird off!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Oh yes, I plead with the mother to, "Give the little one more!" during every feeding. I know it's nature's way to favor the strong, but it's just NOT FAIR!

That's when I love the young father, he comes in with a fish and starts feeding both eaglets randomly in his usual cavalier manner.

Then I forgive Mom when she sits in the rain for two days straight, keeping her babies warm while her white head turns gray and spikey.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

This is who the easy going father eagle reminds me of. Beaky Buzzard
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Boat of Garten Ospreys are back from their winter holidays!

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Ooh! How beautiful, Wet Kipper! Love ospreys!

The next time you and LMC and the little 'uns come by here, we should go on an osprey and eagle safari!

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a tornado here the other week, and here is video of the eagle nest during that event! For a period of time the baby eagle is alone, but then mom flies in and sits on the baby, to keep it dry.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Liberty is a good mama! That nest and tree were really swaying!

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yeah, watching the video is vaguely queasy-making. There were reported tornado sightings in the area that day.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just want to say thank you to everyone who's posted on this thread. I've enjoyed the videos and links a great deal.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

OK, this is fantabulous: the baby eagle's foot is stuck. Viewers see it on the eagle webcam, and rescuers climb up the tree to the rescue.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016