homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Favorite obscure sect name (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Favorite obscure sect name
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
In a city where I once lived there was a 'Christian Community' called 'Jacob's Well.' (Christian Community in quotes because that's what they called it.)

I always wondered if they knew the so-far-as-I-know the only gospel reference to said well. Seemed a bit off the mark to me.

That reminds me of (now-defunct) Mars Hill Church, also a one-off biblical reference. It must have been a head-scratcher to unchurched folk here in the Seattle area.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Stephen the Stoned:
Jengie, I don't think there's a mosque on Cemetery Rd. The Christadelphians and the Baptist Church are still there.

Partly memory and partly going by a student I met who was talking about that area due to a project they were doing. I must check next time I am down there.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
st stephen the stoned lobbed this one, to which several shipmates responded:
quote:
The Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion is still going, it seems.
...and in today's Church Times (3.3.2017) there is a job ad for a Pastor at Mortimer West End Chapel, "a vibrant church in Berkshire and part of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion who provide its wooded grounds, manse and chapel". They mention a "special relationship" with Gold Hill Baptist Church, to which their previous Pastor has now moved.

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
quote:
In a city where I once lived there was a 'Christian Community' called 'Jacob's Well.' (Christian Community in quotes because that's what they called it.)

I always wondered if they knew the so-far-as-I-know the only gospel reference to said well. Seemed a bit off the mark to me.

That reminds me of (now-defunct) Mars Hill Church, also a one-off biblical reference. It must have been a head-scratcher to unchurched folk here in the Seattle area.
Not too far from here is Mars Hill College, a Southern Baptist affiliated lib arts college with an excellent reputation.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

What else could The Church of England be called, in order not to sound as though it's the one-and-only?

But I thought it was called that because it's the state church, and it's supposed to be for everyone (hence all the 'broad church' stuff).

What's odd is when Anglican churches elsewhere use the same format (e.g. The Church of Nigeria), which assumes a certain status or universality which they probably don't have.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting, the link with the Baptists.

An old friend of mine, long since promoted to glory, worshipped at one time at the former Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion chapel in Tunbridge Wells. He recalled that the form of service used was basically that of the Anglican 1662 BCP!

The elegant little chapel (it had a nice tower and spire) was demolished in 1974 when it became necessary to extend the car park of the adjacent Hospital. One presumes (and hopes) that the congregation found congenial homes in other local churches - my friend became an Anglican....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0e/72/1d/0e721de998ec9a1644c57e022f4eeccb.jpg

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
quote:

Not too far from here is Mars Hill College, a Southern Baptist affiliated lib arts college with an excellent reputation.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was referring to keibat's post above, BTW (it took longer than I thought to find a photo of the Countess' chapel in Tunbridge Wells!).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my city is the Church of ACTS. The founding pastor once said in an interview that "ACTS" referred only tangently to the book of scripture. It really was an anacronym for Annointed Christians Tormenting Satan..

This explanation doesn't seem to be part of their website.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Overused]

Nice one, Pastor! I suspect he was pulling the interviewer's leg...

Or maybe he was secretly a Southcottian, as one of their principal preoccupations in the 19thC was an 'Indictment of Satan' - they saw themselves as pre-eminent in the Christian fight against The Old Gentleman.

IJ

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love to visit New Harmony, IN. Formerly it was the site of two failed utopian experiments by the Rappites and then the Owenites

sabine

[fixed link]

[ 03. March 2017, 23:59: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Alas, that link appears to be broken...

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, this is great. The fecundity of religious imagination dazzles me.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who, when hearing of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, has irresistably brought to mind a picture of a genteel woman with a part of her anatomy shaped like a hose fitting?
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In 2012 I found in the old town part of Penzance existing chapels for both Bible Christians and the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Here's a rather nice picture IMHO of the Countess:

Picture

No sign of any hoses, though!

A number of sects were led, or started, by Ladies Of The Female Gender. One thinks not only of the Countess herself, but also of Joanna Southcott, and Mary Anne Girling (of the 'Jumpers' or 'Shakers'), all roughly contemporaneous. I'm sure there must be others.

IJ

[fixed link. You're welcome!]

[ 04. March 2017, 13:58: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O drat. If any kind Host could shorten the bandwidth (or whatever) of that link, I'd be most grateful....

Meanwhile, I'll get me bonnet, and shut the chapel door behind me.

[Hot and Hormonal]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O pants . Filled with p**.

Wrong again.
[Help]

Countess Selina died in 1791, Joanna Southcott in 1814, and Mary Ann Girling in 1886. They weren't exactly contemporaries, perhaps, but, even so, symptomatic of the religious fervour of late 18thC - early 19thC England.

Where's the aspirin?

IJ

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Shakers were founded in the early C18 by Mother Ann Lee (under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit of course). They are still in existence and not a joke at all.

Who was Ms Girling and what was her lot called?

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Answer on postcard: New Forest Shakers or Walworth Jumpers,

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Mary Ann Girling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Girling

Rev. C. Maurice Davies, in Unorthodox London , records his visit to the Walworth Jumpers in the 1870s, the name being derived from the inspired 'jumping' which sometimes occurred during or after worship, and which Davies witnessed.

It seems that Mary Ann and her followers removed to the New Forest shortly after that time, and became known as the 'New Forest Shakers'. As often happened, there was cross-pollination with groups in the USA.

Wheels within wheels, as Davies sometimes remarked.

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the article about the current Agapemone legal settlement. I am startled to learn that the cult only allowed the patriarch (and his preferred 'soul bride') to procreate. Were there really that many rich women who would sign on for this with 'Beloved'? Handing over their entire fortune, remember. I can only conclude that he must have been dynamite between the sheets, so that current satisfactions completely made up for the lack of a future.

[ 04. March 2017, 14:47: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering what the churches/charities with similar beliefs were?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Not so way out, perhaps, but I've just come back from lunch with some colleagues, one of whom was raised among the Peculiar People in Essex.

So was i - but they hadn't been called that for many years - and that was in the 1970's.

Your colleague would have to be quite elderly to have been in a genuine PP chapel trading under that name.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I was going to mention The Peculiar People, but Baptist Trainfan's beaten me to it ...

That has to be my favourite name for a small, localised sect. They were, as their name suggests, pretty peculiar ... although not in the sense that they wanted their name to convey.

They might have been that too, of course.

They did change their name for exactly that reason. They eventually joined the far more boring sounding Union of Evangelical Churches.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
Your colleague would have to be quite elderly to have been in a genuine PP chapel trading under that name.

He's nearly 70 - and this was his last day in full-time ministry. So his story probably dates from the early 1950s.

[ 05. March 2017, 07:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the days of the Christian Counter-Culture there were a few sister communities:-

House of The New World - Sydney
House of Freedom - Brisbane
House of The Gentle Bunyip - Melbourne

There was also one in Adelaide, but I forget its name.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly not obscure, but a newish denomination in Britain (and elsewhere) is called "The Potter's House".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(They could have called it 'Not on This Mount Tabernacle' or some such.) [Big Grin]

Perhaps they knew about
this local carol from South Yorkshire

(Warning: turn down the sound before you click.)

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Possibly not obscure, but a newish denomination in Britain (and elsewhere) is called "The Potter's House".

Member of The Potter's House turned up to disrupt the Sheffield Gay Pride event in Endcliffe Park last summer. Nearly all young black people. All actually. They used megaphones to express their opinion of the postmortem fate awaiting the participants. They were peacefully propelled towards the exit, while the police looked on.

[ 05. March 2017, 11:08: Message edited by: St. Stephen the Stoned ]

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following output is from quickly knocked up random sect name generator (it's python, but it could be javascripted easily enough). Would need a better idea of the grammer.

first holy God of biblical holy spirit of the baptist meeting
first believers
first reformed meeting
the disciples of methodist assembly
charismatic anti reformed church
first christian believers and non anti non pentecostol assembly
first saints
first disciples of non baptist disciples of non non non non non non pentecostol congregation of anti baptising the son
first saints
the disciples of the spiritual believers of the charismatic saints of the methodist church of non anti reformed saints
the catholic meeting
first reformed congregation of anti non pentecostol believers of the traditional disciples
first believers
church
traditional non non catholic church
the baptist believers
the methodist church and new saints and non British jesus
the holy church
the canonical non christian church
baptising assembly and new congregation and biblical anti non reformed believers of baptist believers of the spiritual non affirming believers

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Eek!]

I'm sure we've got at least some of those in this town!

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

goat
Apprentice
# 18740

- Posted      Profile for goat   Email goat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pray forgiveness for Cardinal Sin of the Philippines. His name is Jamie Sin.
At confession a young boy says "forgive me father for I am Sin "
"Jamie ?"
"yes".

Posts: 16 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know a different version of that joke, involving Roderick Wright, former Roman Catholic bishop of Argyll and the Isles.

Wright is told to go and lay low in the Philippines for a while until the scandal has blown over a bit. While there, he feels the need to go to confession. Being a bishop, he thinks the cardinal should hear it, and turns up at the confessional one Saturday afternoon.

The cardinal calls him in, Wright kneels down, and begins:

"Forgive me, Sin, for I have fathered..."

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'Strict and Peculiar' reminds me of 'Strict and Particular', as in (some) Baptists, so it's quite realistic.

IIRC, one of Ruth Rendell's novels (not one of the Inspector Wexford stories) features two barking-mad members of 'The Epiphany People'.

IJ

I remember coming across a Strict Baptist Chapel in Brighton which I thought was rather impressive. Brighton isn't the obvious place to set up shop for that sort of thing.

I read a book, as a child, which suggested that John George Haigh, the notorious acid bath murderer was brought up as a member of the Peculiar People, but the interwebs indicate that he was raised as Plymouth Brethren. As was Aleister Crowley. Someone ought to do a survey of the childhood religious allegiances of the various Bad Guys of history (not counting the ones whose membership of that particular fraternity was the cause of their sundry crimes).

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

(Sorting cults)
I think we can agree that the whole point of being a cult is to have weird doctrine. So under that umbrella we could perhaps break it down:
The folks who claim that they are God, or Jesus.
The people who tinker with family arrangements: spouse swapping, raising your children in common, etc. I suppose group living would come into this; easier to take all your meals in common if you're all living in one big house.
Financial/economical stuff -- holding property in common, handing all your $ over to the leader to manage/invest/build a chapel with.

And, naturally, it is often easier to -combine- these things. If I am the new incarnation of Jesus Christ, then at that point you might as well sign over your house to me, right?

--------------------

goat
Apprentice
# 18740

- Posted      Profile for goat   Email goat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
George III was given Australia personally by Capt Cook and Governor Philip and the Queen owns my house as Defender of the Faith . God Saves the Queen who was anointed at coronation like King David of Israel.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
quote:
'Strict and Peculiar' reminds me of 'Strict and Particular', as in (some) Baptists, so it's quite realistic.

IIRC, one of Ruth Rendell's novels (not one of the Inspector Wexford stories) features two barking-mad members of 'The Epiphany People'.

IJ

I remember coming across a Strict Baptist Chapel in Brighton which I thought was rather impressive. Brighton isn't the obvious place to set up shop for that sort of thing.

I read a book, as a child, which suggested that John George Haigh, the notorious acid bath murderer was brought up as a member of the Peculiar People, but the interwebs indicate that he was raised as Plymouth Brethren. As was Aleister Crowley. Someone ought to do a survey of the childhood religious allegiances of the various Bad Guys of history (not counting the ones whose membership of that particular fraternity was the cause of their sundry crimes).

Oh but East Sussex is real Nonconformist land! Plenty of conservative Nonconformist chapels around even if not all are active anymore. Even many modern conservative churches are based there, even in Brighton - in terms of non-Anglican churches it's NFI-heavy which is perhaps not the choice for Brighton many would go for.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Northampton where I used to live there's what must be one of very few remaining Wesleyan Holiness Movement churches - I know it has a stong Nonconformist history. A Royal Diadem Chapel (RCCG) used to meet at the university, and a Holy Ghost Zone ran a bookshop in town.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a few Wesleyan Holiness churches around, certainly in the Midlands.

And the RCCG is now the largest and fastest growing Pentecostal denomination in the UK, so it's not all that 'obscure'.

[ 10. March 2017, 22:57: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

True, I wasn't meaning to imply that the RCCG was obscure - the names just make me smile. I'd love an Anglican church to call itself The Tea And Hymns Zone or suchlike.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Ah yes, I see.

A 'Tea and Hymns Zone' suggests to me an informal week day service for the retired, homemakers, shoppers, etc. Almost certainly run by a 'St Mary's' or 'St. Paul's' type of CofE church. Or perhaps operating out of the Methodist church that's named after a street or an area.

Names say a lot, don't they? The CofE benefits from its heritage and status, so perhaps it can risk giving its newest church plants slightly unexpected, daring names to appeal to a less traditional worshipper. But the African churches know there's little competition or overlap between themselves and the traditional churches, so they can really choose something memorable. The Nonconformists, meanwhile, frequently stick with a low key reference to geography. (Convenient but a bit boring.)

However, I've noticed that some of the older Pentecostal churches have been revamping their names in recent years. The denominational name of their earlier incarnation or their current affiliation is often hidden, and their promotional names are often much simpler: New Life, Life, Oasis, Riverside, Living Water, Renewal, etc. 'Community Church' or 'Church/Christian Centre' are sometimes added. They never existed when I was was growing up.

The Elim movement has dropped 'Pentecostal' entirely, for some reason.

[ 11. March 2017, 00:00: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goat:
George III was given Australia personally by Capt Cook and Governor Philip and the Queen owns my house as Defender of the Faith . God Saves the Queen who was anointed at coronation like King David of Israel.

Ummm.... No, in other words. You hold the land upon which your house is built in fee simple from Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of Australia and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth (see the Royal Style and Titles Act 1973). No Defender of the Faith in that. It was in the 1953 Act, but section 2 of the 1973 Act makes it clear that this new title is in substitution for that. Nothing in the Australia Acts of 1986, modelled on the Canadian predecessors, affect that.

It is not really correct to say that HM "owns" the land in any event. The most that can be said is that the Crown has the radical or allodial title to the land, meaning that it owes no service or acknowledgement to another. In other words, neither you nor the Crown own the land; you own a title to the land, that title giving you paticular rights to it.

Pedantry lesson numbers 1 and 2 for a Saturday morning now finished.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
goat
Apprentice
# 18740

Pope Alexander II gave England to William the Bastard which means Vatican title.
Elizabeth's anointing also gave Jewish title as the villeins sang at coronation ;

"Zadok the Priest, and Nathan the Prophet anointed Solomon King.
And all the people rejoiced, and said:
God save the King! Long live the King!
May the King live for ever,
Amen, Allelujah."

" by the Grace of God Queen of Australia and Her other Realms ". As OED says, Real Property is owned, feoff freehold.

She also gets divine grace to allodial rights above Aboriginal defective title , with her Crown to retain ownership of all gold, silver, coal and petroleum . Your house may suffer resumption /compulsory acquisition to allow Singapore army onto Elizabeth's estate .

goat
Apprentice
# 18740

Of course , as she was anointed Defender of The Faith then that registration is impeccable and immaculate and can't be scratched out by common lawyers.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Confused]

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, back to the subject of favorite obscure sect names.

In my neck of the woods, we had the Koreshans who were building a Utopian community and were also pretty much self-limiting, since the inner circle of the sect (or cult, depending on who you talk to) was celibate.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I forget -- what was their core doctrine? WAs it simply that David Korean was God?

--------------------

WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be, in the Canadian Maritimes, a denomination known as the Reformed Baptist Alliance. Curiously, they were anything but Reformed --- they were Baptists of a Wesleyan-Holiness stripe, with several dozen churches and their own Bible institute (now Kingswood University). In 1966 they merged into the Wesleyan Church of Canada, and today constitute most of the Wesleyans' Atlantic District.

None of these are to be confused with the Calvinist Reformed Baptists, who have several churches in current existence in New Brunswick.

Confusing --- as in the States, where people have to explain the difference between the Church of Christ and the United Church of Christ.

Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

A congregation started in my city as a congregation of the Disciples of Christ (not a cult, obviously). Eventually they broke their denominational affiliation and became known as The People's Temple (Pastor Jim Jones).

They relocated.

sabine

[ 11. March 2017, 15:49: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016