homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » VOTE! Best Sig

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: VOTE! Best Sig
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations for Best Sig. Please remind yourself of the sigs and why they were nominated by reading the post below... and then vote for your choice.

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 145 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations, in alphabetical order, for Best Sig.

1. Angloid

Sig: Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Nominated by Angel Wrestler

2. Honest Ron Bacardi

Sig: Anglo-cthulhic

Nominated by Sandemaniac: "The spectacular double-take I did about three posts later when Mr Brain convinced Mr & Mrs Eyeballs what they'd really just read."

3. leo

Sig: A good catholic is not one who wears vestments and hates nonconformists but one who wears Christ and loves everyone.

Nominated by Zwingli: "Several times I've read it and thought that I should apply it to myself - though in reverse, if you know what I mean. Which is sort of why I nominated it - it speaks to me, even though it isn't aimed at me."

4. Lyda*Rose (1)

Sig: Maybe we should just stop trying to eff the ineffable. ~ Timothy the Obscure

Nominated by Lyda*Rose: "I've really liked this line since I first read it. I had thought that Timothy had used it for his own sig, but I was mistaken. He told me that he thought he'd used it in one of the trinitarian discussions perhaps last year. So I couldn't nominate it as a quote since it might be out of the time range and we had no idea where it was anyway. But since I'm using it as my sig now, it's up for this nomination. Timothy's a quiet guy, but he usually has some thoughts well worth reading."

5. Lyda*Rose (2)

This is simply a reminder that what we are called to is not our stuff. ~ Brother Joseph Brown on the loss by fire of Mt. Calvary Retreat House

Nominated by marmot

6. Moo

Sig: Two pints make one cavort.

Nominated by JB: "Simple, funny, and completely true."

7. Petros

Sig: Just because you don't know what's going on doesn't necessarily mean that someone else does.

Nominated by Jahlove: "There are so many excellent ones on board but this has caught my eye recently and puts a smile on my face whenever I see it - and is, of course, so very, very true."

8. Pimple

Sig: "Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods" (Einstein?)

Nominated by Gort: "Pimple borrowed it from a post I made in Purg and I hope to bask in reflected glory. Also, it summarizes my position on egotistical spiritual judgment and my one direct experience of the godhead."

9. Rat

Sig: Ring the bells that can still ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
(Leonard Cohen)

Nominated by Harperchild: "This was inspirational at a time I needed inspiring. It introduced me to a Leonard Cohen song I didn't know, and provided another 'quotable quote' for my classroom wall."

10. Rev per Minute

Sig: "If God had meant women to play Doctor Who, then Jesus wouldn't have just chosen men to be his disciples. Or something like that." (comment on Guardian website)

Nominated by Chelley: "It's good on so many levels - pure amusement factor, and then the load of other levels that I really can't express adequately."

11. Seeker 963

Sig: "Faith is not a work. It is a being present when a revelation takes place." Stephen Sykes, The Story of Atonement

Nominated by Robert Armin: "To me this is simple and profound. And I happen to think that Sykes is an under-rated modern theologian, but that's another story."

12. Sir Kevin

Sig: "If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nominated by Sir Kevin

13. Zappa

Sig: If, indeed, I were a nightingale, I should be singing as a nightingale; if a swan, as a swan. But as it is, I am a rational being, therefore I must be singing hymns of praise to God. (Epictetus: Diss 1.16.20)

Nominated by Angel Wrestler

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 3   Email Sheep 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds of scrabbling hooves and frantic bleating are heard from offstage. Suddenly a sheep - bedecked with small blue bows, each holding a tiny brass bell - darts across the stage.

BAAAAA!

*jingle, jingle, jingle, jingle, jingle*

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Posts: 278 | From: lost in a pasture | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll get you, sheep, just you wait and see!

(jlg tackles Sheep3 and they both slide off stage left.)

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<... Janine pops her head around the corner, keeping an eye on the impending announcement... puzzling, that jingling sound. She thought the was the only one present wearing a coin belt...>

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pssst! Janine! Maybe you could entertain the crowd with a belly dance while I get this sheep under control?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you know, that is just, like, so weird, because I had this dream? the other night? about belly dancing? and it was, like, really interesting, because I was wearing this, like, purple costume...

[...gradually realises that no-one is listening, and wanders off]

[ 01. February 2009, 18:33: Message edited by: Qlib ]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

jlg stomps up to the podium, dressed in jeans, boots, and old sweater, all bedecked with bits of straw and well, other stuff. Sheep3, looking chastised, meekly follows.

Good Evening, everyone. It is a real pleasure (cough) to be with you tonight on this momentous occasion. Please forgive my somewhat underdressed appearance; we had some technical difficulties at the last moment.

[gives Sheep3 the evil eye look]

I'm sure many of you will recognize our very special Guest Star, who has been gracious enough to come out of retirement for this very special occasion.

Please give a big hand to Sheep3, known to all from her amazing role in the Ship of Fools Nativity Play!

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<... Janine quickly supplies Qlib with various noisy and flashy bellydance accessories and pushes Qlib out to center stage, next to the slickly modern Best Sig Podium... cue appropriate music... all that just as Sheep 3 shows up... Qlib trips over sheep... Janine stands backstage, hanging onto the curtains, trying not to fall over, somewhere between frustrated sobbing and screaming laughter...>

[ 01. February 2009, 18:45: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 3   Email Sheep 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sheep3 trots offstage and returns, munching on a Golden Envelope...

*jingle*

munch, munch

--------------------
jlg the sheep

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

[jlg has been droning on, extolling the various nominees; we return to this speech in progress]

...making this a truly difficult decision for the judges. But now, the envelope, please!

[drum roll]

ARRRGHHH! STUPID SHEEP!

[jlg snatches the remains of the envelope from Sheep3's mouth]

OK, I think I can still make out enough to determine the winner. Let's see..

"H...a..di"

Ah, yes! Our winner is Honest Ron Bacardi, for Anglo-Cthultic! Let's hear it for Honest Ron, folks!

(Aside to Sheep3: "I'll get you later, you hunk of mutton.")

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

*plop*

Baa.

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

<... having slipped into more Gothic/tribal bellydance wear, Janine slinks out onstage almost unseen... or would be unnoticed, but for the clattering bells, coins and beads... and unobtrusively helps Qlib offstage...>

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woohoooo!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doublethink remains, concealed, but equipped to take on the cultists, or Cthulhu himself, should Honest Ron choose to summon him ...

[ 01. February 2009, 22:09: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it morning? Where am I? What happened?
Feel like I've been sledge-hammered..and why am I wearing... this...errrr?
[Reads above in silence. Sits with head in hands and reflects]

... That was fun! Let's do it again next year.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016