homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Priestly genitalia [Ordination of Women] (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  51  52  53 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Priestly genitalia [Ordination of Women]
Laudate Dominum
Shipmate
# 3104

- Posted      Profile for Laudate Dominum   Author's homepage   Email Laudate Dominum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The priest "mediates" between us and God--Christ was/is that Mediator, therefore the priest represents Christ.

--------------------
"They think us barbarians because we cling to the past. We think them barbarians because they do not cling to the past." --G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 518 | From: Lala Land | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to say how informative and interesting I found Dyfrig's post.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laudate Dominum:
The priest "mediates" between us and God--Christ was/is that Mediator, therefore the priest represents Christ.

Well, yes, I suppose, but....

1. The Christian priest specifically does not mediate, as there is but one Mediator;

2. Hebrews specifically emphasises that Jesus' mediation was possible because he was like us (all of us) in all things except sin. The author does not regard Jesus' lack of femaleness as a bar to him being able to mediate on behalf of women.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laudate Dominum
Shipmate
# 3104

- Posted      Profile for Laudate Dominum   Author's homepage   Email Laudate Dominum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dyfrig, in your last post on page 6, you said, essentially, that since both sexes may participate in the common priesthood of the baptized, both should participate in the ministerial priesthood?

Some other questions for clarification, just so I know where you're coming from:
How do you define the differences between the ministerial priesthood and the common priesthood of the baptized?

If Christ's masculinity or femininity was not an issue, why were all the 12 Apostles male?
Or is their masculinity also not an issue?

Why do you say that the priest is not a mediator? Is that not the traditional Old Testament role of a priest?
If the priest represents Christ to the people, and the people to Christ, is that not mediation?

--------------------
"They think us barbarians because we cling to the past. We think them barbarians because they do not cling to the past." --G.K. Chesterton

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Father G
Please come post
Don't let this thread
Give up the ghost

Burma Shave

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some good questions originally posted by Laudate Dominum:
How do you define the differences between the ministerial priesthood and the common priesthood of the baptized?

In my mind (and I must emphasise that this is a personal reflection, and not any claim to making a definitive theological statement, especially as I have something like 1,800 of practice to contend with) the use of the word "priesthood" in the former case leads to both confusion and a distortion of the baptised's roles and responsibilities.

Now, this is not to deny or diminish in any way the reality that persons are called (and are recognised as being called) to certain liturgical, pastoral and sacramental roles. That calling is real and should not be depracated. The problem arises in assigning the term "priesthood" to this group of activities.

The designation of all the baptized as "a royal priesthood", drawing on the self-understaning of Israel in the OT, is clearly attested to in the NT. It is part of the polemic, if you will, of establishing who is the true Israel, and is linked to ideas of being "in Christ" and being his body. The collective priesthood of the baptized is dependent upon Christ's priestly role and activities. Christ is the mediator between God and humanity, the baptized are the body of Christ, and are therefore (corporately) acting in Christ.

However, the application of this designation tp a sub-set of the baptized (firstly to the bishops and then, as their delegates, the presbyters) comes later, for a variety of reasons (the symbolic interpretation of Leviticus, the change polemical situation, etc). Personally, I think to use "priestly" language for these roles is problematic, because it goes against already established ideas in the Tradition about completion of the cultic regulatin in Christ, but also stores up trouble for the future, where the "priesthood" of the baptized is seen to vest in two of the clerical orders whereas it actually exists in the whole body. "Priesthood" is the word we have for certain ordained roles, but a gathered worshipping community is not less "priestly" if they are comprised solely of deacons and "laity".

So, I suppose the answer to the question is that "priesthood" is the wrong word for work of presbyters/pastors. I don't know what the righjt word is, but using that word simply causes confusion and the diminishing of the body of Christ.

If Christ's masculinity or femininity was not an issue, why were all the 12 Apostles male?
Or is their masculinity also not an issue?

It is, I admit, problematic for anyone arguing for the ordination of women that Christ himself did not choose any for the apostolic activities that they undertook during his lifetime. At face value, this is probably the strongest (and only?) argument in favour of a male-only order.

But the issue is not so simple. One must bear in mind that the Church, apparently acting under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, has deviated form Christ's choice in significant ways already. Let me give you some examples:

1. None of the apostles were Gentiles. Now, you may well say, "Well, du-uh! Jesus was Jewish!" Of course he was, and was fulfilling the servant vocation of Israel. But this did not stop the Church, under the Spirit's care, concluding that the call to be "Israel" was not just an ethnic one and was soon appointing Gentile leaders.

2. At least one of the original twelve apostles was married, and the Pauline letters suggest that otherw were too - yet, again under the Spirit's guidance, part of the Church has upheld a discipline of celibacy on its clergy.

3. If the church order literature of the early centuries are anything to go by, admission to the sanctuarial offices of the Church were barred to anyone with any sort of physical impediment. This carried on the Jewish practice, and it is not recorded anywhere that any of the twelve had a physical deformity. This rule is no longer applied (and, if I may express a personal opinion as one with a disability, if it is practiced then it is evidence of a wicked and pernicious attitude in the Church.)

Underlying the assertion that "Jesus didn't appoint women apostles" is of course the assumption that the pre-Resurrection appointment is the same as post-Resurrection ones. The 12 were appointed to a very specific role within the earthly ministry of Jesus (and this hand pick team managed to deny, doubt, disown and dreadfully and dastardly deal with the Dessiah- um, the Messiah. Not exactly the best model for Church leadership [Big Grin] ). After the Resurrection, the first witnesses were women, and there many women, including Jesus' mother, who wwere present when the Spirit was poured out at Pentecost, and there is NT evidence for female deacons and apostles. This, I believe, is the framework in which any discussion should take place, not the particularities of the initial choosing of the 12.

Why do you say that the priest is not a mediator? Is that not the traditional Old Testament role of a priest?
If the priest represents Christ to the people, and the people to Christ, is that not mediation?

I do not say that priests are not mediators - you are correct that they are. However, one fundamental that the NT writers (that part of Tradition that has been canonised for reading in Church) kept banging on about is that all the images of the OT priesthood, all the ideas of Wisdom and Messiah, all the hopes and aspiration of Israel, come to fruition in the man Jesus. Jesus is the priest, the Church (when regarded in the metaphor of his "body") is acting out his priesthood, not the priesthood of any individual within that community. The priest at the eucharist does not do any mediating at all, partly because s/he doesn't need to (the final mediation has taken place, in time and for all time, on Calvary) but also because this role is as the representative acting out of the worship of the whole gathered community, a community that is both male and female.

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weel done, Dyfrig!

John Holding

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
the use of the word "priesthood" in the former case leads to both confusion and a distortion of the baptised's roles and responsibilities.

This is going to sound terrible, and it's not meant to be rude, but it hasn't up till now as far as I can tell. Jesus is our great High Priest; it doesn't therefore follow that those who are sacramentally ordained aren't real priests under His authority.

As for physical disabilities barring one from the priesthood, when did this rule change, has it changed for not only Anglican but Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic, and what were their reasons for doing so?

Also, re mediation at the end, are you saying that the priest is only representing the Church to God, and not God to the Church?

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are so many things riding on this "dead horse" that I have found it difficult to know where to jump in again. However, it struck me that dialogue with the Orthodox on this matter often fails to take on board two crucial things ...

VALIDITY .... we don't like this language. We don't use it ourselves. We can say that this priest is or is not canonical by virtue of his bishop's communionj with other bishops ... nothing more. A priest's orders do not stand in isolation from the episcopal college being the visible manifestation of the unity of the Church. Also, in the same way that living beings cannot live without air ... a priest can only function (as indeed can a bishop) within a community. When a priest or bishop retires, he does not lose his priesthood but he must be reintegrated into another community to exercise it. When other Christians talk therefore of the "validity" of womens' ministerial orders we immediately think of the consequences or implications for the episcopal college, (globally that is ... not just in a few provinces / jurisdictions [Wink] ). Likewise, the whole idea of "indelible marks" seems to us to disjoin the priesthood from its ecclesial / communal reality. This also explains why a priest and bishop's position in the Orthodox Church is a good deal less secure than in the western churches. "Institutional rights" count for little (thankfully).

VOCATION ... To be sure we believe that God calls people to ministries but it is NOT the individual's perception of that calling that legitimises the ministry. I know this is formally the case in many western churches as well but it receives much greater emphasis in the Orthodox Church where the calling is manifested through the voice of the congregation and the voice of the bishop. The whole idea of someone "wanting" to be a priest is quite alien to us. (We sometimes get people wanting to become Orthodox with this in mind. For the sake of their immortal soul we pour cold water on this very quickly. (If their calling to become Orthodox is genuine they will accept readily. If not, they very quickly vote with their feet).

With these two factors in mind, the Orthodox Church will not ordain its women because they feel called nor will we rack ourselves over questions of validity should an Orthodox bishop ever proceeed to ordain a woman. There is only ONE issue for us .... the mind of the Church, led by the Holy Spirit.

The conciliar process is clear ... study, pray, consult, act. It is and would be a long process requiring global consensus. We do not feel the secular Zeitgeist breathing down our necks as some others seem to do. We do not feel that we are "losing ground" by not doing it. Whether it should happen or not depends on God and us ... no one else. We do not take our counsels from unbelievers. We do, however, observe the actions of our fellow Christians with interest and respect .... which does not stop us from being very blunt sometimes if we feel that some are inclined to "jump the gun" (on this and other issues).

My prediction is though that you will see the renewal of the female diaconate in the Orthodox Church within the next 20 years, (not that it has ever completely died out).

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

So what would happen if an Orthodox bishop were to ordain a woman to the priesthood, even if the other bishops didn't agree with him?

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He would be deposed.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

No, I mean, would the other bishops say that the woman wasn't a real priest, or that she was but would not permit her to act as one, or that the matter was unknown? And if so or not, why so or not?

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
the use of the word "priesthood" in the former case leads to both confusion and a distortion of the baptised's roles and responsibilities.

it hasn't up till now as far as I can tell.
Well, that depends on whether you accept that the Christians who happen (for historical and personal reasons) to be outside the institutions of the so-called "Catholic" churches (Orthodoxy, Roman Catholic and, on their own assertion only, Anglican) are "Church" and whether their sacramental activities are valid. Personally I believe (with a few exceptions) they are, and thus the question of designating the "priesthood" of a particular sub-set of the Church is highly problematic to many millions of Christians.

quote:
As for physical disabilities barring one from the priesthood, when did this rule change, has it changed for not only Anglican but Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic, and what were their reasons for doing so?
I don't know. What I do know is that there are people with disabilities who carry out ordained ministry in the Anglican churches in England and Wales, and that change didn't create this degree of argument.

quote:
Also, re mediation at the end, are you saying that the priest is only representing the Church to God, and not God to the Church?
As Fr Gregory has said on countless occasions, the priest is there to allow his hands and tongue to be used so the worshipping community can "eucharistise".

[Code fixed]

[ 11. November 2002, 12:32: Message edited by: frin ]

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Oh dear.

Repeat after me:

preview post is your friend
preview post is your friend

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Well, that depends on whether you accept that the Christians who happen (for historical and personal reasons) to be outside the institutions of the so-called "Catholic" churches (Orthodoxy, Roman Catholic and, on their own assertion only, Anglican) are "Church" and whether their sacramental activities are valid.

I believe that outside of the three mentioned, the others are "church" in the sense of being believing Christians, but not in the sense of being in valid sacramental Apostolic Succession, and the validity of their sacraments is in doubt for me; this may explain some of our disagreements (or my lack of being convinced, at least) in this matter. If I believed the Anglican churches lacked Apostolic Succession and valid sacraments, I'd either return to Rome or go to Eastern Orthodoxy. And of course at issue is whether, though in proper succession (as we understand it) now, whether in the future we will gradually have some valid and some invalid priests and bishops, thus making the church lose what claims to right Succession we hold. Indeed, I think part of the whole question, not of clerical genitalia, but of specifically priestly genitalia, hinges on the idea of sacraments, apostolic etc.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear David

Any woman ordained by a subsequently deposed Orthodox bishop would not be a priest in the sense that she would "sink" with her bishop. Any other ruminations concerning her "status" or "validity" would not concern us at all. The only thing that matters to the Orthodox here is the collegiality of the bishops within the mind of the Church.

As I said before, you can't treat a priest separately from his/her bishop. The controlling / controlled principle is the bishop, (which is why, incidentally, if the ordination of women ever happened in the Orthodox Church it would most likely be to the episcopate that they would be ordained first, (the first "batch" having exceptionally short priesthoods but with the requisite gifts and knowledge).

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I'm really kind of confused -- how do you mean collegiality here? This sounds like a very different model than either the RC or the Anglican...

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Well yes, collegiality is a very different model. What one bishop does or does not do must always be in concert with his brother bishops.

When I was in the Church of England this always struck me as inexplicable ... that bishops could do diamterically opposed things, (ordain women, not ordain women) and still maintain the notion of collegial episcopal unity. I concluded that in England at least Anglican unity was not something that included what a person might actually do or not do.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Just *bump*ing this thread up for interested parties from "Catholic and still Anglican?" in Purgatory...

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just as an aside, and something i can neither confirm nor disprove, i read recently that the celtic church in ireland at least, before it had come definatly under the rule of rome, ordained women not only to the priesthood but as bishops too. anyone here know anything about that?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Sorry for not responding -- was hoping someone would have some confirmation or the reverse of this. It would certainly be a point in its favour for me, if so! [Smile]

David

--------------------

Laudate Dominum
Shipmate
# 3104

Well, the second-to-last paragraph of this website: http://www.geocities.com/irish_maiden_aine/traditions.htm
says yes, but I haven't seen any other material to support the idea, and that website is extremely brief on that count. I've never heard it mentioned in the arguments of anyone I've met in support of women as priests.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ok, well i did what i should have done earlier. let me first explain where i gleaned the info above, and why i didn't know if it was reliable or not. i'm an avid mystery reader, and i recently read one of the sister fidelma mysteries, which take place during the early middle ages, (i forget the exact dates) about an irish religiouse (i think thats the spelling that the author uses, she's not a nun in the sense we would understand it today) who is also a trained law interpreter. in the afterward to the book i read, the author (peter tremayne, a pseudonym for peter berresford ellis) explained the cultural and historical background of the novels, and mentioned this tidbit about ordination. now obviously, i had, just reading the book, no idea of the authors quallifications to be saying anything. the series seems to be well researched and accurate, but what the heck do i know about it, my knowledge of that period of history being not particularly deep.

well today after seeing these two posts, i researched the author. i used an electronic databank provided by the library, so i can't provide a link, but i will quote:

quote:
Peter Berresford Ellis has been a full-time writer since 1975. His output, under three different names, includes histories, literary biographies, historical novels, horror-fantasy novels, "whodunits," and adventure-thrillers. Best known in America under the pseudonym Peter Tremayne--the name under which his popular "Sister Fidelma" mysteries are published--Ellis is considered one of the foremost British experts on the ancient Celts. His books on Celtic history and lore have been printed in the United Kingdom and the United States, and it is from these that he draws the wealth of knowledge he puts to use in his popular "Sister Fidelma" mysteries.
this seems to me to indicate that he does know what he's talking about.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Hmmm. Well, it would make a difference to me, if true...

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

(argh. just checked out laudate dominum's link... it is to an essaylargely rephrased from the exact afterward that i had read in the first place. but now at least you can judge the author)

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Well -- I do need more proof than that, if available...

David
Current mood: busy (wait, that's still LiveJournal...)

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

well you can look him up in amazon.com. and try some of his books (i mean the scholarly stuff, not the sister fidelma books, though they're pretty good if your into mysteries) and see what his sources look like.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

starting to get into this a bit, at this site of the life of saint brigid, i found this:

quote:
With seven other young women robed in white, she took her vows before Saint Mel, the abbot and bishop of Longford, and it is said that he mistakenly consecrated her a bishop.
mistakenly?

and i found this:

quote:
The Book of Lismore bears this story: Brigid and certain virgins along with her went to take the veil from Bishop Mel in Telcha Mide. Blithe was he to see them. For humility Brigid stayed so that she might be the last to whom a veil should be given. A fiery pillar rose from her head to the roof ridge of the church. Then said Bishop Mel: "Come, O holy Brigid, that a veil may be sained on thy head before the other virgins." It came to pass then, through the grace of the Holy Spirit, that the form of ordaining a bishop was read out over Brigid. Macaille said that a bishop's order should not be confirmed on a woman. Said Bishop Mel: "No power have I in this matter. That dignity hath been given by God unto Brigid, beyond every (other) woman." Wherefore the men of Ireland from that time to this give episcopal honor to Brigid's successor.
at this site.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Hmmm. What's interesting to me here (apart from the question of whether, in fact, there was a historical St. Brigid in the first place -- some people argue that she was basically the goddess Brigit retconned* into a Christian saint) is not whether or not Brigid was actually made a bishop, but the acceptance of the idea that, if the hands were laid upon her and the prayer was said, she would be, if that makes any sense, without it being damned as a heretical notion of ordination. Definitely food for thought!

David
* retcon: a hybrid word meaning "retroactive continuity," mainly in comic books, in which a character's history is changed, often to reflect modern sensibilities. More information can be found here and also here.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Right, rather than go through another long tedious pedantic list (... I can if people really want me to) as I did on another thread, I figured I should post here that (1) since I have not actually heard arguments truly convincing me that -- if the hands are laid upon her and the proper words are spoken, with sacramental intention -- a woman cannot become a priest or bishop -- that Rome denies that a woman can ever be a priest, but I am not under Rome's authority -- that Eastern Orthodoxy may very well permit it -- and that the primary streams of Anglicanism certainly do -- and (2) that I need NOT accept the notion, which is apparently not as universal as I thought, that accepting female priests in some way accuses Sts. Paul on down of cruelty or injustice or incorrect theology -- and (3) that even Lewis, the most convincing (to me) arguer against the practice of ordaining women does not convince me (if he even says, in this article) that the Church cannot do so, just that it ought not do so (in this essay, "Priestesses in the Church?") -- well, goodness, I suppose I can provisionally accept their ordinations as valid. I still think the issue of whether women, or most women, ought to become priests is a valid concern, but this is miles away from whether or not they can become priests.

David
off to watch "The Vicar of Dibley"

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

My, my, it's dusty in here [cough]. Where's the light switch? Ah. Good.

Now, a couple of points from pondering this matter further:

1. Gregory, correct me if I'm wrong, but you appear to have moved from a "women cannot be priests therefore Orthodoxy will never ordain them" argument to one where you accept that Orthodoxy could, if it chose to, ordain women. Is this because you agree with Kallistos Ware that the "anti" arguments no longer hold much water? If Ware "comes out" in favour of ordaining women, how will this affect the numerous Orthodox who left the CofE after 1992?

2. Going back to the argument that there are different functions between men and women - childbearing being the obvious one - and that therefore there are fundamental differences between the sexes, how does this actually apply if the non-femaleness of Jesus was no bar to him representing women in his priestly acts?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Geez, Dyfrig, it's as clear as crystal. Men, having both an "X" and a "Y" chromosome, can represent either sex. Women, having only "X" chromosomes, can't represent men.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

[Killing me]

Of course, now that we've worked out that the Y is a failing, deformed X, it's becoming clearer that only women are truly human.

--------------------

Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

- Posted      Profile for Cardinal Pole Vault   Author's homepage   Email Cardinal Pole Vault   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about transexuals? And those whho are genetically one thing, but due to hormonal problems develop genitalia pertaining to the opposite sex? [Confused]

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Posts: 986 | From: Insula Tiberina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, now that we've worked out that the Y is a failing, deformed X, it's becoming clearer that only women are truly human.

Which kind of messes with the doctrine of the Incarnation, since God chose to be incarnated as a man and thus wasn't truly human. Does this mean we're all going to hell after all?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Which kind of messes with the doctrine of the Incarnation, since God chose to be incarnated as a man and thus wasn't truly human. Does this mean we're all going to hell after all?
Either that, or it's further evidence for the Incarnation as a sign of miraculous grace - it is in and through our imperfection that we are made perfect in Christ! [Two face]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 729 | From: the antipodes | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
kevb
Apprentice
# 4691

- Posted      Profile for kevb   Email kevb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
these denominations would go mental about gay speakers [Love]
Posts: 17 | From: devon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Ok. Inspired by Welsh Dragon's concerns in Mystery Worship, let's see if we can take this debte further.

There have been vaginas at the altar in England for nigh on 10 years nigh.

We are, allegedly, in a period of "reception", with unique legal and structural provision being made to allow those who, in conscience, cannot accept the 92 decision (either on the grounds that it ought not to have been made at all or at least not then).

How should the Church of England (and indeed any other denomination) deal with such times?

Should its organs (colleges, dioceses, deaneries, etc) be "pushing" one side or the other?

How do training colleges deal with the need to respect that some of their candidates don't accept that ogthers within the presbytery are truly ordained to that role?

Bearing in mind that the minority have been given legal safeguards over a point of doctrine which are entirely unprecedented within the Church of England, how are we to balance the questions of perceived charity and justice issues inherent in this issue?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
There have been vaginas at the altar in England for nigh on 10 years

[...]

Should its organs (colleges, dioceses, deaneries, etc) be "pushing" one side or the other?

The mental imagery stirred up by this felicitous concatenation of phrases makes it very difficult to concentrate on the strictly doctrinal aspects of the question.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
that bishops could do diamterically opposed things, (ordain women, not ordain women) and still maintain the notion of collegial episcopal unity.

Yes, the only thing that is beyond the bounds of possibility, apparently, is being an openly gay and celibate Bishop!

The current situation in the CE makes no ecclesiological sense, I wholeheatedly agree. But, as regards the ordination of women, the alternatives, from my point of view are all worse. These seem to be :-

(1.) Stop ordaining women. Undesirable and not going to happen.

(2.) Third Province. Cul-de-sac.

(3.) Cull of the FinFers. Unjust and would create a sort of liberal hegemony that I really would not be comfortable with.

The current set up makes no sense, abstractly, but is the least worse option, practically.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
The current set up makes no sense, abstractly, but is the least worse option, practically.

This I have to agree with.

Our parish is about as in favour of the ordination of women as it is possible to be - we had a woman incumbent for 7 years, she has been replaced by another woman, and three women from the parish have been ordained, one currently with us as OLM. But when the question of repealing the Act of Synod came before the Diocesan Synod, a majority of our PCC, and our Deanery Synod reps including & a member of the Dioesamn Synod were all against it. (As was our (evangelical) Bishop, though not the woman OLM)

--------------------
Ken

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear DOD

I can remember my former Anglican Bishop, Michael Baughen trying to empathise with my issues on Anglicanism's claimed authority to ordain women but then warning me darkly that a far more contentious issue was just over the horizon ... (dum-dee-dum-dum-DUMMMM!!) ... homosexuality. Just how long have they been preparing for all of this?

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Killing me]

Ah, so we're *too good* to be priests! [Cool] [Razz]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
The current situation in the CE makes no ecclesiological sense, I wholeheatedly agree. But, as regards the ordination of women, the alternatives, from my point of view are all worse. These seem to be :-

(1.) Stop ordaining women. Undesirable and not going to happen.

(2.) Third Province. Cul-de-sac.

(3.) Cull of the FinFers. Unjust and would create a sort of liberal hegemony that I really would not be comfortable with.

Ignorant question: is the ECUSA way of handling this issue (or a variant of it) for some reason not an option in the CofE? Why couldn't you folks just draw a line on the calendar and say that all bishops consecrated after a certain date have to ordain women? You could even draw that line 25 or 50 years in the future.
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RuthW, how is that approach in practice distinguishable from option 3 above?

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The argument goes, that the C of E is currently in a period of 'reception'. We are allegedly discerning whether or not the ordination of women is what God wants us to do.

Nobody who has thought about the issue for five minutes takes this seriously. When I recieve communion from a woman priest, I don't do it with the mental reservation that it might just be a wafer after all. Nor, I imagine, do the FiFers seriously think that they are going to wake up one morning and discover that ordaining women is what God wants the C of E to do. (Which isn't, of course, to say that people don't genuinely wrestle with this issue). But it is the official line - and it does have the merit of recognising that the church is divided on the issue.

So saying "All bishops ordained after the year 2029 will be obliged to ordain women" effectively moves the C of E, from a period of reception to saying "God does want us to ordain women, but on pragmatic grounds we will respect tender consciences on the subject for a bit longer".

I agree with D-O-D's reasoning and conclusions, although I suspect that the hegemony, of which he speaks, is more likely to be evangelical than it is liberal.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
RuthW, how is that approach in practice distinguishable from option 3 above?

It seemed to me that option 3 above meant forcing FinF folks to conform or be tossed out immediately.

Thanks for the explanation, Callan. Has the CofE set up a deadline or criteria for when/how they'll know whether God calls women to the priesthood?

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I know no deadline has been set. There is a commission examining the possibility of consecrating women to the episcopate. If they recommend this, and if it is accepted and things start moving, then it will probably provoke a crisis of some kind.

Personally on pragmatic grounds, I think we need a debate on women bishops like we need a hole in the head. YMMV.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
As far as I know no deadline has been set. There is a commission examining the possibility of consecrating women to the episcopate. If they recommend this, and if it is accepted and things start moving, then it will probably provoke a crisis of some kind.

Though, despite asking a number of people a number of times, I still haven't seen any explanation of why, for those who find that the flying bishops, backed up by Resolutions A to Z are a refuge from women priests, the same system would not be a refuge from women bishops.

--------------------
Ken

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

I should really let an actual FiF person answer this.

My understanding is that, with women Bishops, you will have no guarantee that any given priest will be validly ordained. Also the unity of the college of Bishops would be impaired. It is possible for +Ebbsfleet to be in communion with, say, +Southwark in a way that would not be the case if it were Thomasina rather than Tom.

You probably don't find this remotely convincing. However catholic opponents of the ordination of women do. I don't personally have any theological objections to the consecration of women to the episcopate and, if I were in the States, I wouldn't feel the need to check who ordained a priest before recieving the sacrament from him or her. But so much threatens to tear the Church of England apart, I really do feel that this can wait. As I said, YMMV.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  51  52  53 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016