homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » The Death of Darwinism (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  40  41  42 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Death of Darwinism
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Faithful Sheepdog:

quote:
Nothing could or would. It might be interesting for other reasons, but it would not establish the principle for which you propose it.
Laura, you can't have the argument both ways. Eiher ID theory can generate testable and refutable predictions, or it can't. I have given you one such example and shown that it can do so.

No one is claiming that if the specific prediction concerning tool-kit genes proves to be correct, it thereby establishes ID theoretical ideas in toto. Science simply does not work that way.

By the same token, if the specific prediction proves to be false, that would not comprehensively falsify all ID ideas.

Neil

True, but if you find promising results, you have to be able to prove why they correspond to your explanation rather than everyone elses.

Creationists regularly come up with alternative explanations for scientific results. Why is ID any more plausible?

Whilst interesting, these results wouldn't make the blindest difference in the ID discussion one way or the other.

C

--------------------
arse

Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

- Posted      Profile for Faithful Sheepdog   Email Faithful Sheepdog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
Yes, yes, but I don't see how - even if one was to prove it - one couldn't use the explanation within conventional accepted evolutionary theory.

In which case it becomes rather redundant.

C

The key question is from what theoretical basis the successful prediction was made. If theory A enables researchers to make predictions that on testing are found to be correct, and if theory B is making predictions found not to be correct, then we have a clear clue as to which theory may ultimately prove to be true.

What specific testable and refutable predictions have orthodox Darwinians made regarding tool-kit genes?

Neil

--------------------
"Random mutation/natural selection works great in folks’ imaginations, but it’s a bust in the real world." ~ Michael J. Behe

Posts: 1097 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What specific testable and refutable predictions have orthodox Darwinians made regarding tool-kit genes?

Neil

See my previous post. Very similar genes with somewhat different functions.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
Yes, yes, but I don't see how - even if one was to prove it - one couldn't use the explanation within conventional accepted evolutionary theory.

In which case it becomes rather redundant.

C

The key question is from what theoretical basis the successful prediction was made. If theory A enables researchers to make predictions that on testing are found to be correct, and if theory B is making predictions found not to be correct, then we have a clear clue as to which theory may ultimately prove to be true.

Neil

If researcher A are making discoveries (pretty big if there given that there is no evidence of any original science) which can be easily assimilated into the existing theory Z rather than the newly postulated theory Y then the even if the science by researcher A is good, it is no help in deciding between Z and Y, and moreover if researcher A is a propaganist for theory Y then people are not going to believe his evidence, right or wrong.

C

--------------------
arse

Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

- Posted      Profile for Faithful Sheepdog   Email Faithful Sheepdog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Exactly. One would expect precursors - albeit with a different function - in unicellular prokaryotes. No-one is suggesting that a mutation occured in a Paramecium one day and the next it became a sponge. New functions arise constantly in evolutionary history from pre-existing structures with a different function.

So your prediction is that historical tool-kit genes would have functioned in the evolutionary predecessor not as rudimentary tool-kit genes, but as something else entirely instead?

In that case how does one establish that the historical genes in questions are rudimentary tool-kit genes, and not the rudiments of some other genes?

Neil

--------------------
"Random mutation/natural selection works great in folks’ imaginations, but it’s a bust in the real world." ~ Michael J. Behe

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They will contain some identical or near identical sequences to the current genes.

Same general idea as how we know that the genes governing the blood clotting cascade derived from a single several times duplicated gene - the current genes, although having different functions albeit within the cascade, have unnecessarily identical sequences within them.

--------------------

Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

This thread will find yet another peer-reviewed paper that makes uses of the ID work of Behe and Dembski here. It is by a German biologist working under European and Indian(?) editors. It is further evidence that a court in Pennsylvania decides the law in Pennsylvania and nothing else.

I haven't read this paper properly yet, but at the end the author posts the following delightful paragraph:

quote:
It should be stated that the hypotheses of Behe and Dembski and my applications of them to the further biological phenomena as decribed above have been formulated in an intellectual climate of enormous tensions between different world views, often so much so that it seems to be necessary to point out that an author supporting ID is speaking not in the name of an institution, but gives his personal opinion. However, I am fully convinced that there is a range of cogent scientific arguments (of which some have been discussed above) encouraging open-minded researchers to carefully consider and investigate the topic within their different biological disciplines.
He is certainly right about the "enormous tensions". [Smile]

Neil

[typo]

[ 06. January 2006, 16:10: Message edited by: Faithful Sheepdog ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

FS - what you have to ask yourself is why anyone would publish a paper in review books published by people who nobody has ever heard of when there are plenty of decent and regularly published [I]journals[I] in the areas they cover.

I will try to find a citation index for these books. I'm guessing it will be extremely low to non-existant.

C

--------------------
arse

Rex Monday

None but a blockhead
# 2569

- Posted      Profile for Rex Monday   Email Rex Monday   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's an interesting essay, although it does seem to be an advanced argument from incredulity. It ignores the small problem that none of the 'irreducibly complex' systems have been shown to be anything of the sort, and that Dembski's probability calculations don't seem to have any applicability in the real world.

"On the other hand, as to the candidates of irreducibly complex systems mentioned above (the cilium, bacterial flagellum, blood clotting, traps of Utricularia and some other carnivorous plant genera, joints, echo location, deceptive flowers as displayed by Coryanthes and Catasetum etc.), it can be confidently stated that up to now, none of these synorganized systems has been satisfactorily explained by the modern synthesis or any other evolutionary theory."

That's the problem - it cannot be confidently so stated. Take blood clotting, the evolutionary origins of which are discussed at Evowiki . That looks as reasonable an evolutionary explanation as any other, and Behe's objections have been repeatedly met - like here.

I've tried to dig further into the author, but most of his work's in German and Google's translator is of only limited use here. However, he does have the occasional burst of English...

"Of systems that in principle are comparable we know how they come into existence and how not: they never come into existence by "chance" (definition pp. 15/16), but exclusively through consciousness, purposefully working intelligence and genius. Using experience as yardstick shows clearly that consciousness, intelligence and genius are absolutely necessary as the cause for the origin of the information for the design of the immensely complicated organic structures, which are so marvellously attuned to the highest precision."

So he's no stranger to argument from incredulity!

As for his proposals for research and predictions: I'm delighted to see them - although they do implicity agree that there's a lot more uncertainty about the theoretical underpinnings than his bold statements before would admit. Show that systems are really irreducibly complex? Well, yes! How? He does not say, and the rest of the proposals are pretty much predicated on getting that bit going. So that's not terribly helpful.

But it's a start.

R

--------------------
I am largely against organised religion, which is why I am so fond of the C of E.

Posts: 514 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

By the same token, if the specific prediction proves to be false, that would not comprehensively falsify all ID ideas.

Neil

That's certainly correct. It can neither be conclusively proven nor falsified.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
samara
Shipmate
# 9932

- Posted      Profile for samara   Email samara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whether a target sequence is explicitly specified [in a genetic algorithm] or is implicitly given in some another form, it is nevertheless always there in these algorithms.

This statement is makes very wrong implications about the nature of programming, and this dead horse within a dead horse must be dealt with. There's programming something in and then there's programming in an error measure. The two are not equivalent.

Genetic algorithms are used in machine learning* to FIND solutions to problems. In most cases in my field where genetic algorithms are applied, we don't KNOW the target. If we did, we could program that in - presto, working application.

What you do know is how far from the target you are - an error measure. In genetic algorithm (GA) terms, you have a fitness function. Sure, you have to pre-code a fitness function, or an error measure. Is my error measure going to be number of pixels incorrectly labelled in this picture? Or an even less informative measure like how much positive reinforcement the robot received over its "lifetime"?

I grant you, that's a decision the designer makes. The point is this is NOT AT ALL the same as programming in the final (or initial) design.

So, yes, in any genetic algorithm, the program is written by a human designer, and the fitness function chosen by a human designer. But the outcome of the program is not under control of the designer once it starts. And, interestingly, I have never heard a machine learning research claim: "I found these parameters for problem X." The claim is : "My algorithm found these parameters for problem X."

My credentials? I am a machine learning/artificial intelligence researcher. I have not programmed a GA specifically, but could in an evening or two (and might for an upcoming project).

*Machine learning is a branch of artificial intelligence research that looks for adaptive programs rather than fixed (or hard-coded) programs.

--------------------
Bookworms will rule the world (after we finish the background reading).
Courtesy of Trouble in China

Posts: 439 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

quote:
Originally posted by samara:
quote:
Whether a target sequence is explicitly specified [in a genetic algorithm] or is implicitly given in some another form, it is nevertheless always there in these algorithms.

This statement is makes very wrong implications about the nature of programming, and this dead horse within a dead horse must be dealt with. There's programming something in and then there's programming in an error measure. The two are not equivalent.

Genetic algorithms are used in machine learning* to FIND solutions to problems. In most cases in my field where genetic algorithms are applied, we don't KNOW the target. If we did, we could program that in - presto, working application.

What you do know is how far from the target you are - an error measure. In genetic algorithm (GA) terms, you have a fitness function. Sure, you have to pre-code a fitness function, or an error measure. Is my error measure going to be number of pixels incorrectly labelled in this picture? Or an even less informative measure like how much positive reinforcement the robot received over its "lifetime"?

I grant you, that's a decision the designer makes. The point is this is NOT AT ALL the same as programming in the final (or initial) design.

So, yes, in any genetic algorithm, the program is written by a human designer, and the fitness function chosen by a human designer. But the outcome of the program is not under control of the designer once it starts. And, interestingly, I have never heard a machine learning research claim: "I found these parameters for problem X." The claim is : "My algorithm found these parameters for problem X."

My credentials? I am a machine learning/artificial intelligence researcher. I have not programmed a GA specifically, but could in an evening or two (and might for an upcoming project).

*Machine learning is a branch of artificial intelligence research that looks for adaptive programs rather than fixed (or hard-coded) programs.

I'm pushed for time today, so I will have to return to your post in due course. For "target sequence" I should have used the broader and more correct phrase "target function". The word sequence in this context is ambiguous and misleading. With that correction I still stand by my comment about the review at the Panda's Thumb and I disagree completely with your viewpoint.

Since you have mentioned your credentials I will also mention mine. I have two mathematically-oriented engineering degrees plus some programming experience in fortran. I used to work on nuclear safety issues.

Neil

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Apologies to all for digging up the extinct equine]

Tonight, Horizon on BBC will be looking at Intelligent Design and related stuff. Including the results of a MORI poll that according to the BBC News report shows what (to me) seems a very large belief in Intelligent Design/Creationism in the UK with less than 50% of respondents believing that evolution best describes their view of the origin and development of life.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Seems very unlikely. How many British people know the first thing about ID?

Who are these participants and how are they selected?

C

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I knew. The BBC News page doesn't give any information, nor does the Horizon page. And, there's nothing at the MORI site either.

I'd find difficulty believing those figures if the poll had been conducted at Spring Harvest, let alone on the high street.

Not only who these people were, but also exactly what questions were asked would be good.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can believe in Intelligent Design without claiming it is science. I'd guess lots of people would say they believe in ID who also believe that's a theological statement, not a scientific one, and who would oppose any drift of ID into any science class. I'd also guess lots of people who believe in evolution also believe that God gave the process a push at the outset -- and that will be what they mean by ID.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
You can believe in Intelligent Design without claiming it is science. I'd guess lots of people would say they believe in ID who also believe that's a theological statement, not a scientific one, and who would oppose any drift of ID into any science class.

Which is true enough. But, I'd be surprised if the majority of the British population was that aware of the difference between ID and YEC. Mostly, if they've heard of it at all, it'll be from media reports about school boards etc in the US which (over here at least) tend towards "what those Fundamentalist Evangelical Christians are trying to do". It certainly doesn't explain the 41% of respondents who want ID taught in science lessons.

That's what simply does not make sense about the poll results. When you get, maybe, 10-15% of the population regularly attending church, how do you get 40% or so of a poll saying that Creationism should be taught in science lessons???? Unless the 2000 people questioned were not even remotely representative of the UK population.

--------------------

samara
Shipmate
# 9932

- Posted      Profile for samara   Email samara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Science&Religion prof always made a careful distinction between belief in intelligent design (that the positive aspects of the world supported a creator) and Intelligent Design Theory (that said belief is scientific).

So I would believe the first but not the second.

But you're right, given the question, the numbers seem wrong. Maybe the same pollster that found [mumble high] percentage of people thought DNA was added to GA food?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
I'd also guess lots of people who believe in evolution also believe that God gave the process a push at the outset -- and that will be what they mean by ID.

Presumably anyone at all who believed in God would claim at least that, and be in that sense a "creationist".

And many (most?) of us would go further and believe that God is sovereign and continually upholds and directs and in a real sense "designs" the world, living veratures and everythign else. What they used to call "Providence".

What is less likely to wash is the specific claim that's being marketed as "Intelligent Design" in the USA. Which, as Alan says, I doubt many people over here (or over there) really distinguish from old-fashioned theisim + evolution.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I suspect this was actually conducted amoungst members of certain evangelical churches. I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

C

--------------------
arse

Shipmate
# 76

It certainly doesn't mesh with my experience. Must watch the programme.

--------------------

Rex Monday

None but a blockhead
# 2569

- Posted      Profile for Rex Monday   Email Rex Monday   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just discussing this with a (non-religious) friend, who is as disbelieving of the poll results as I am - and I'm not looking forward to having to watch Horizon to find out exactly what the poll asked and of whom (not that they're likely to say). Horizon has gone downhill badly since the days it assumed the viewers could hold an idea in their head for the duration of the programme.

In any case, any poll that doesn't include the question "Can you describe the principle features of biological evolution, as understood by mainstream science?" isn't going to show anything more than most people's vaguest feelings. It's like asking the average English person "Do you believe in God?" which is likely to evince a "Yeah, guess so" - it's only when you ask "Could you describe that belief?" that you find it's no more than a hunch.

R

--------------------
I am largely against organised religion, which is why I am so fond of the C of E.

Kepler's Puppet
Shipmate
# 4011

- Posted      Profile for Kepler's Puppet   Email Kepler's Puppet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in the US, at least in my definitely small sample of non-scientist, church attending Christians, the standard definition of intelligent design is "The world looks likes somebody made the world therefore there is a God." In other words, they define intelligent design as the argument from design by Paley et al and they see no differences betwen the two (and probably have never even heard of Paley).

If that's true in the UK too then I can imagine that any question posed to the general public about intelligent design won't get a reliable answer.

--------------------
Most Likely Lurking

Posts: 1447 | From: Dixie Land | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did I miss it? When did they mention the survey?
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

No, they didn't mention the survey at all. Basically, just a report on the Dover school board trial with some background.

--------------------

Rex Monday

None but a blockhead
# 2569

They didn't mention the survey, so I guess it was just done for publicity purposes. We'll never know...

The programme itself was fine. It tried to be fair to the IDers, but couldn't quite resist the occasional dig and a touch of 'Americans are spooky'. And since it hinged on the Dover case, it really only had one place to go.

R

--------------------

Tabby Cat
Shipmate
# 4561

- Posted      Profile for Tabby Cat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I thought it was almost being too fair to them at first!

It was interesting seeing some of the ID people - Dembski, Behe - on there, having only read (about) them on the web before today.

The RC priest/scientist was very cute.

Posts: 1063 | From: Paddling at the edge of the sea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rex Monday

None but a blockhead
# 2569

Aha - I've found some more details of the survey at the BBC Press Office. And I think I see the problem - it misrepresents evolution. Here are the questions it asked:

quote:
The statements were:

the 'evolution theory' says that human kind has developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life. God had no part in this process;

the 'creationism theory' says that God created human kind pretty much in his/her present form at one time within the last 10,000 years;

and the 'intelligent design' theory says that certain features of living things are best explained by the intervention of a supernatural being, eg God.

Of those surveyed, 48 per cent said evolution theory most closely describes their view; 22% chose creationism; and 17% chose intelligent design.

I don't know many Christians who believe in evolution who would be happy with "God had no part in this process" - rather, the prevailing belief is that the results of evolution are in keeping with God's plans for the world.

Evolution has nothing to say about God's involvement, other than there seems to be no evidence at a phenomenal level. Supernatural involvement? That's a matter of faith - it doesn't exclude mainstream evolutionary thought. But that question implies that it does, and that's wrong, and I cannot see how a thoughtful Christian couldn't have problems making that choice.

So therefore, I think, the survey was doomed to underreport evolutionary acceptance.

R

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Indeed. I'd have to say "none of the above".

The fundamental mistake made both by the survey question setters, the creationists and the likes of Dawkins is to assume that if something is done by God, it is miraculous. That physical phenomena, explainable and describable by science, may actually be the physical outworkings of the creative activity of God, is a concept that seems beyond them.

--------------------

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear ... I'm stepping in on a Dead Horse and it's this one. What have you people done to me? [Biased]

If I had seen that survey several months ago, I probably would have selected option three, but now that I have a clearer understanding of what ID is (thanks, in part, to the program last night), I would also have been unable select one of the options.

Someone once told me that truth is like a two-sided coin. I'll try to explain. One side is the side that man can see and understand and analyse and is responsible for and the other side is the side that God is responsible for. The two sides can appear to be in conflict, but when you realise that there are different roles and different parts to the coin, you recognize that it still is the same coin, and they are still speaking of the same truth. In the current discussion you could look at the two sides as being science and religion. The science or man-ward side gives us the ability to investigate and try to understand the natural processes that brought us to where we are today. The religious or God-ward side reflects the nature of God in the process, and as Karl mentioned, His providence. The one side doesn't explain the other, but you need to look at both to have a fuller understanding of the truth ... a fuller understanding of the "organised chance."

Oh, and the Jesuit priest/astrophysicist was absolutely stellar!

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Thanks for digging out the questions Rex.

My feeling is that the majority of the UK population (who, according to census info identify themselves as Christian, Muslim, Jewish etc) look at the physical world around them, the beauty of nature etc, and have at least a gut feeling that "God did this". When faced with the options given them by the pollsters they read the "God had no part in this process" and say to themselves "that's not right"; as most people probably don't opt for a "none of the above" they chose whichever of the other options seemed closest to what they believe. I suspect those who feel that humans are somehow different, more important or special would be more attracted to the "creationist" position. The very poor definition of the "creationist" and "intelligent design" options gave a lot more room for people to see how their view that God was, somehow, involved could fit them.

The "should these be taught in science lessons?" part of the survey is more disturbing. That barely 70% thought evolution should be taught in science lessons seems truly bizarre. That at least 40% thought that either "creationism" or "intelligent design" should be taught is worrying, depending on whether they simply think that they should be mentioned as alternatives or taught as equally valid positions.

Basically, if you really want to know what Brits (or, anyone else for that matter) think about such issues ask better questions that actually allow people to respond with what they believe.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has to be "none of the above" for me as well. What a tacky set of questions.

Both "Darwinism" and "Intelligent Design" are "evolution theories" anyway.

[ 27. January 2006, 12:16: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
That barely 70% thought evolution should be taught in science lessons seems truly bizarre. That at least 40% thought that either "creationism" or "intelligent design" should be taught is worrying, depending on whether they simply think that they should be mentioned as alternatives or taught as equally valid positions.

Since when do you do set curriculum based on what the average person thinks is a good idea? Especially using a survey. You find all sorts of crazy stuff in surveys because the average person is ignorant of most things, and they don't put much thought into surveys. This is the whole reason why direct democracy is a terrible idea.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or any sort of democracy at all?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I'm not saying that we should base the science curriculum on the results of a popular poll, even if that had been conducted properly with a large sample of respondents and sensible questions.

What I find bizarre is the outcome of that poll. In that I know of no one who wouldn't consider that evolution should be taught in science lessons. Even those who consider evolution to be seriously flawed wouldn't, in my experience, advocate not teaching it at all. I'd really like to know what the 30% who think evolution has no place being taught in science classes would teach instead when biology starts to point out things like "oh, aren't there a lot of different species of animal out there"?

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But then, you live in the land where everyone walks around with nuclear bombs under their arms.

Next up: a poll of Joe Public, to find out if we should teach about imaginary numbers in A level maths or not.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not saying that we should base the science curriculum on the results of a popular poll, even if that had been conducted properly with a large sample of respondents and sensible questions.

You are assuming quite a lot about the quality of most polls [Biased]

quote:
I'd really like to know what the 30% who think evolution has no place being taught in science classes would teach instead when biology starts to point out things like "oh, aren't there a lot of different species of animal out there"?

What does diversity of species have to do with evolution? Commonality among species is what ties evolution together. If all species where really diverse then Darwin would have never made the connection he did. We would have had to wait until we figured out micro-biology to see that animals were similar on basic levels.

So to answer your question, they would say "God did it".

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
— Firefly

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
What does diversity of species have to do with evolution? Commonality among species is what ties evolution together. If all species where really diverse then Darwin would have never made the connection he did.
Actually, Darwin made the connection because of the similarity of diverse species. When faced with evidence of a large number of different species of finch (ie: diversity in finch species) then a biology teacher must surely explain that in terms of evolution - exactly as Darwin did.

quote:
Now I'm sure there are some people in the UK who would happily have biology teachers telling kids "God did it, just as it's recorded here in Genesis". But 30% of the population? No way! Which is what I don't understand about the poll, the numbers clearly indicate that the respondents were allowed to be inclusive (eg: "we should teach ID and Evolution"), and yet 30% didn't want evolution taught at all. Clearly there was something deeply flawed about the poll - and not just in the inaccurate descriptions of the options.

--------------------

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
quote:
What does diversity of species have to do with evolution? Commonality among species is what ties evolution together. If all species where really diverse then Darwin would have never made the connection he did.
Actually, Darwin made the connection because of the similarity of diverse species. When faced with evidence of a large number of different species of finch (ie: diversity in finch species) then a biology teacher must surely explain that in terms of evolution - exactly as Darwin did.
Or God just made a number of different versions. If you allow God as science then you can "explain" anything by claiming God did it.

quote:
quote:
Now I'm sure there are some people in the UK who would happily have biology teachers telling kids "God did it, just as it's recorded here in Genesis". But 30% of the population? No way! Which is what I don't understand about the poll, the numbers clearly indicate that the respondents were allowed to be inclusive (eg: "we should teach ID and Evolution"), and yet 30% didn't want evolution taught at all. Clearly there was something deeply flawed about the poll - and not just in the inaccurate descriptions of the options.
That was what I was pointing out earlier. There are all kinds of sneaky tricks that pollsters pull to get news worthy results (my guess would be polling lots of fundamentalist churches). You also have to remember that in the general publics mind evolution (and science) is the antithesis of religion. People who actually had a proper education know that this is not true.

[ 29. January 2006, 06:35: Message edited by: the_raptor ]

--------------------
— Firefly

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by the_raptor:
There are all kinds of sneaky tricks that pollsters pull to get news worthy results (my guess would be polling lots of fundamentalist churches).

Well, the press release clearly said it was a cross section of the UK population. Besides, even in fundamentalist churches (in the UK) there'd be a decent sized majority who would consider that evolution should be taught in science lessons - just that the "alternatives" be taught as well. As I said earlier, before seeing the questions asked, that response would be surprising for a broadly evangelical response such as that which you might get at Spring Harvest.

quote:
You also have to remember that in the general publics mind evolution (and science) is the antithesis of religion.
Yes, but the people I know would say that therefore science and religion need to be kept seperate. Teach science in science classes, religion in RE and church. That attitude wouldn't generate the result of this poll.

MORI have clearly done something extraordinarily strnage to get that result. I'd have expected MORI to be far more professional than that, most people on this thread could have organised a better poll than they managed. Perhaps that's why it was never used in the programme, and isn't on the MORI website - they realised it was a load of pants.

--------------------

samara
Shipmate
# 9932

What about 30% being the people who want creationism taught combined with people who think you don't have to get into it (i.e., evolution) at all?

There are those people who think that if you're not going into science, most of it is a waste of time ("When am I going to need this, anyway?"). Then there are those people who think biology is all about memorization and even though evolution unifies and makes sense of a lot of the random information, it's not worth the potential controversy. These people seem to design at least some of the biology curricula I've run into.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Biology characterised as rote learning? Not much use? Not worth the controversy?

I think I'm going to go and find somewhere dark to lie down. No-one really thinks like that that do they?

And if they do are they prepared to come here and defend it?

[ 30. January 2006, 08:24: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

My A Level Biology was a lot of rote learning. It shouldn't be that way, but it was.

This is called an anther. It just is. Learn it. This is called a stamen. It just is. Learn it.
This is the graph of hormones during the menstrual period. Learn it.
This is the Krebs cycle. Learn the intermediates and where the phosphorylation takes place. They just are the intermediates. Learn them.
This is the C5 process. Learn it. These plants use it. Learn the list.

Happy days - not.

--------------------

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear, Karl. What a shame. My 'A' level Biology (JMB) was generally very well taught, and contrasted sharply in how interesting it was to say, 'A' level Maths, or the way Leeds Univ. taught Zoology and Plant Biology in the first year.

We had (at 'A' level) lots of Ecology, Marine Biology, Genetics and not too much to dissect (rather than 'a dissection a day' that Dr L. gave you at Leeds). And re. 'Krebs', etc. I was so impressed with myself when I learnt 'Respiration' that I don't have unhappy memories!

And the lasses doing Biol. outnumbered us lads by at least 2:1, and included P., A., J. and a few other particularly good-looking ones [Yipee] (and the best-looking also seemed to be the cleverest)!

[ 30. January 2006, 10:24: Message edited by: Alaric the Goth ]

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I as at an all boys school.. [Frown] [Frown]

I remember Leeds' LEARN THIS approach. It was just like A Level. Perhaps it's not surprising I got an E at A Level and dropped out at Leeds, eh?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
No-one really thinks like that that do they?

There are people who consider having books in the house to be strange. So, anything is possible.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

[Eek!]

I take Karl's point, that biology can become rote learning - and has for some people - as has probably every subject when taught badly. I'm just surprised if that's a particular problem for biology, and explains much back-lash against it.

BTW, I've always wondered how the first Ribonucleic acid/protein structure first got together. I think there was something done by Eigen on this.... but I can't find it at the moment.....

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
My A Level Biology was a lot of rote learning.

Is the teacher still alive? If so, why?

Outr A-level biologu was the exact opposite of that, for at least two reasons.

First because to do biology properly you need to actually look at living things, in the lab and most of all outdoors. You can't learn biology entirely at a desk any more than you can learn football without playing it.

Second because things were being discovered so fast that, more than any other subject, we were told "this is what the tetbook says, but now we know..."

--------------------
Ken

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My A Level Biology was a lot of rote learning. ...

Sounds Dickensian.
quote:

“Bitzer,” said Thomas Gradgrind. “Your definition of a horse.”

“Quadruped. Graminivorous. Forty teeth, namely twenty-four grinders, four eye-teeth, and twelve incisive. Sheds coat in the spring; in marshy countries, sheds hoofs, too. Hoofs hard, but requiring to be shod with iron. Age known by marks in mouth.” Thus (and much more) Bitzer.

“Now girl number twenty,” said Mr. Gradgrind. “You know what a horse is.”

Hard Times, Chapter 2.

And pretty useless.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Did they not go on to an interesting discussion of definitions versus characteristics, either fluctuating or non-fluctuating?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  40  41  42 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016