homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Biblical interpretation of apparently anti-gay passages (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Biblical interpretation of apparently anti-gay passages
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
9 pages in and I just noticed the typo in the thread title, now corrected. I guess we see what we expect.

B62, DH Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I guess we see what we expect.

If we could avoid that, this thread wouldn't exist.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That thought crossed my mind while posting the correction. Bias is normal.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I'm dying to know what it used to say.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Standing in a queue, I had a discussion with an Elim minister a few years ago. He was reading a book about Biblical reinterpretation of slavery, the role of women and homosexuality*. He said that the book's view (and his) that although the verses on slavery and the role of women could be reinterpreted, those on homosexuality could not.

I've heard a similar argument made (tentatively and by way of example of one way of reading Scripture, rather than as a personal conviction) by a speaker a Spring Harvest. The rationale was that over the course of Scripture there is some discernible movement towards greater equality between the sexes, and in recognising the common humanity of slaves and slave-owners, but no movement at all, only consistent disapproval, of homosexuality.

I'm not convinced of that as a matter of detail, but I suppose that a case may be made for it. It seems to be to be problematic as a general approach in that it must inherently and necessarily be a rejection of the binding authority of large parts of the Bible without open acknowledgement of that fact, and while purporting to accept the binding authority of the Bible as a whole.

It doesn't work for me. The reason I reject (as authoritative teaching) the apparently sexist parts of the OT is not that I've peeked ahead and know that centuries later an apostle is going to write that in Christ there's no male or female. I reject it because sexism seems to me to be obviously and indefensibly wrong. I can successfully read the Bible as "the story of how people who didn't even know that much encountered God" - and see God's inspiration in anything to mitigate the sexism, but not in the sexism itself. I couldn't successfully read it as saying that it was OK for God to specifically permit forcible marriage (rape) of women captured in war because in a few hundred years later he planned to drop a vague hint that it might not be so great an idea after all. That doesn't work for me. If the Bible contains stuff that isn't right because God was planning to correct it, then the key point - the Bible might contain stuff which, at least on the surface reading, is just wrong, has already been conceded. After that, we can't be certain that the anti-gay stuff is right, either.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
It's one of the pleasant bits of fiction that the early 19th century church was all the Clapham Sect, rather than recognizing that for most of the struggle folks like that were regarded as a small group of heretical oddballs.

At least is is a pleasant fact (for the church) that the Clapham Sect led the fight against slavery. Clearly there were other more establishment figures of the Church such as the Bishops of Bristol and Exeter who were strongly pro-slavery, but the fact remains that it was Christians acting under Christian inspiration who led the charge.

I don't think any amount of revisionism is going to produce a similar picture for LGBT rights. History is going to judge us harshly.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Now I'm dying to know what it used to say.

"Bibilical ..." (bold mine)

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
It's one of the pleasant bits of fiction that the early 19th century church was all the Clapham Sect, rather than recognizing that for most of the struggle folks like that were regarded as a small group of heretical oddballs.

At least is is a pleasant fact (for the church) that the Clapham Sect led the fight against slavery. Clearly there were other more establishment figures of the Church such as the Bishops of Bristol and Exeter who were strongly pro-slavery, but the fact remains that it was Christians acting under Christian inspiration who led the charge.

I don't think any amount of revisionism is going to produce a similar picture for LGBT rights. History is going to judge us harshly.

Thank you mdijon, that's what I was trying to say.

Crœsos, I realise that I've got a blinkered view of history, based in the UK. I will try to remember to add UK (or England and Wales) to any other comment I make about history in the future.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was doing some historical research last year, and was astonished to learn that some of the very people who were most vocal in the anti-slavery movement were most against factory reforms in their own factories at home.

Their reasoning was that reducing hours and limiting child labour would threaten the viability of vulnerable families - so even if the situation was bad, it was better than the alternatives.

These were primarily, but not exclusively, the Quaker industrialists - for complicated historical reasons, they were mostly not part of the ruling classes and instead had much of their capital invested in businesses at home.

Which, I think, just shows how it is possible to be progressive on one issue whilst (apparently) being totally blind on another.

--------------------
arse

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Lateral leaps, mr cheesy? If that is true, fair and just, why does a similar argument not apply to this? History is full of such stuff. I've quoted Stokeley Carmichael before re racism and feminism.

I have been wondering about justice and pecking order instincts. If your main motivation is to get higher in the pecking order, then justice arguments may serve a useful purpose. Until you get up the ladder. Once you've done that, preserving the new status may seem quite attractive. The notions of justice and categorical imperatives may only go skin deep for some folks.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often thought one of the saddest episodes of abolition history was when Americo-Liberians, freed slaves following the American Civil war, created almost an apartheid state in Liberia with Americo-Liberians occupying the top rung, other freed British freed slaves intermediate rungs, and local West Africans occupying the lower rungs.

Human nature is pernicious.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Their reasoning was that reducing hours and limiting child labour would threaten the viability of vulnerable families - so even if the situation was bad, it was better than the alternatives.

The very same debates we are hearing about the introduction of the living wage. (Along with those on wages just above complaining they've lost their increments for responsibility or exxperience.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:
Standing in a queue, I had a discussion with an Elim minister a few years ago. He was reading a book about Biblical reinterpretation of slavery, the role of women and homosexuality*. He said that the book's view (and his) that although the verses on slavery and the role of women could be reinterpreted, those on homosexuality could not.

I've heard a similar argument made (tentatively and by way of example of one way of reading Scripture, rather than as a personal conviction) by a speaker a Spring Harvest. The rationale was that over the course of Scripture there is some discernible movement towards greater equality between the sexes, and in recognising the common humanity of slaves and slave-owners, but no movement at all, only consistent disapproval, of homosexuality.

I'm not convinced of that as a matter of detail, but I suppose that a case may be made for it. It seems to be to be problematic as a general approach in that it must inherently and necessarily be a rejection of the binding authority of large parts of the Bible without open acknowledgement of that fact, and while purporting to accept the binding authority of the Bible as a whole.

It doesn't work for me. The reason I reject (as authoritative teaching) the apparently sexist parts of the OT is not that I've peeked ahead and know that centuries later an apostle is going to write that in Christ there's no male or female. I reject it because sexism seems to me to be obviously and indefensibly wrong. I can successfully read the Bible as "the story of how people who didn't even know that much encountered God" - and see God's inspiration in anything to mitigate the sexism, but not in the sexism itself. I couldn't successfully read it as saying that it was OK for God to specifically permit forcible marriage (rape) of women captured in war because in a few hundred years later he planned to drop a vague hint that it might not be so great an idea after all. That doesn't work for me. If the Bible contains stuff that isn't right because God was planning to correct it, then the key point - the Bible might contain stuff which, at least on the surface reading, is just wrong, has already been conceded. After that, we can't be certain that the anti-gay stuff is right, either.

This.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The very same debates we are hearing about the introduction of the living wage. (Along with those on wages just above complaining they've lost their increments for responsibility or exxperience.)

Not really the same argument at all, given at the time there was no social security, NHS etc. That people were dying regularly in industrial accidents and of disease was a direct result of the pay and conditions of the factories the abolitionists owned.

--------------------
arse

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

It is difficult to see the sins of the present age as history will describe them. My guess (and hope) is that one day the level of global and national inequality we put up with will be regarded with horror. School children reading about it might wonder how we could be so exercised about gender rights and LGBT rights yet so tolerant of such inequality which resulted in millions of needless deaths.

That isn't an argument to stop worrying about misogyny or homophobia by the way, merely against judging past generations by present standards.

[ 06. April 2016, 17:30: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:

This.
Yes, that. I find it difficult to even understand those who speak of such trajectories in Scripture. Slavery was not abolished because of people discerning such a trajectory, but because people became rationally convinced that it was utterly wrong in spite of what the Bible allowed. Same thing with, say, stoning people; it did not become wrong when Jesus defended the woman convicted of adultery. It always had been and people released that on the late. Ditto gay relationships.

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Croesos?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Originally posted by Joesaphat:
Slavery was not abolished because of people discerning such a trajectory, but because people became rationally convinced that it was utterly wrong in spite of what the Bible allowed.

Most of the clapham sect would have said "because of" rather than "in spite of" the bible. Granted they had a different interpretation but that's the point. My view of LGBT rights is informed by what the bible says about the importance and worth of humanity, not the more homophobic passages.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Slavery was not abolished because of people discerning such a trajectory, but because people became rationally convinced that it was utterly wrong in spite of what the Bible allowed.

Most of the clapham sect would have said "because of" rather than "in spite of" the bible. Granted they had a different interpretation but that's the point. My view of LGBT rights is informed by what the bible says about the importance and worth of humanity, not the more homophobic passages.
Or because you're swimming in a culture that has, rationally, come to see gay people differently, otherwise why would Christians not have caught these hints from the start: they're in the Bible for all to see. Same applies to slavery, IMV, whether the Clapham lot were aware of it or not.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

mdijon

I agree with you. According to Jesus, the more important matters of the law are justice, mercy and faithfulness. Which is why I so detest the "cherry-picking" accusations, the assertions that we set aside the "plain meaning of scripture".

For folks who still give scripture a high, authoritative value, the obligation is to wrestle with this stuff. Particularly if our general sense of what is just, merciful and faithful seems to come into conflict with specific verses. There needs to be a weighing of what is most important.

Of course there are scriptures which strike us as homophobic today. There are also many verses in the Penteteuch, described as uttered by God, which strike us as partial, unjust, cruel. The understandings of what is just and merciful and faithful are themselves on some kind of trajectory in the biblical material. Romans 12, 1 Cor 13, are a thousand years and a thousand miles removed from Joshua 6 and 7. When we think about the biblical material, we have been trying to handle these justice, mercy and faithfulness conundrums for a very long time. And painfully, gradually, partially, moving towards kinder, more loving, less selfish and self-centered understandings. Well, at least some have.

The wresting over this specific issue needs to be seen in the context of that more general movement.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
mdijon

I agree with you. According to Jesus, the more important matters of the law are justice, mercy and faithfulness. Which is why I so detest the "cherry-picking" accusations, the assertions that we set aside the "plain meaning of scripture".

For folks who still give scripture a high, authoritative value, the obligation is to wrestle with this stuff. Particularly if our general sense of what is just, merciful and faithful seems to come into conflict with specific verses. There needs to be a weighing of what is most important.

Of course there are scriptures which strike us as homophobic today. There are also many verses in the Penteteuch, described as uttered by God, which strike us as partial, unjust, cruel. The understandings of what is just and merciful and faithful are themselves on some kind of trajectory in the biblical material. Romans 12, 1 Cor 13, are a thousand years and a thousand miles removed from Joshua 6 and 7. When we think about the biblical material, we have been trying to handle these justice, mercy and faithfulness conundrums for a very long time. And painfully, gradually, partially, moving towards kinder, more loving, less selfish and self-centered understandings. Well, at least some have.

The wresting over this specific issue needs to be seen in the context of that more general movement.

Then, Barnabas, what do you say to people who assert that obviously the loving thing is for gay people to be abstinent, since Paul says so, or that women should keep shtum, or even that slavery is not necessarily unloving or merciless?

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

I'd say that's a pretty obvious misuse of the word 'obviously'!

You haven't been around here for that long, certainly nothing like my 11 years, but feel free to browse around my posts in DH on the various hot button issues, such as biblical inerrancy, the role of women, homosexuality, evolution and creation. You'll find a pretty consistent voice arguing against obscurantism and intolerance. And what I say here I say in RL.

[ 07. April 2016, 09:07: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
I'd say that's a pretty obvious misuse of the word 'obviously'!

You haven't been around here for that long, certainly nothing like my 11 years, but feel free to browse around my posts in DH on the various hot button issues, such as biblical inerrancy, the role of women, homosexuality, evolution and creation. You'll find a pretty consistent voice arguing against obscurantism and intolerance. And what I say here I say in RL.

Sorry, I did not mean to doubt that. It was a genuine question, somehow you must appeal to some principle outside the Bible to be able to say that these commandments supersede the "obvious" or "plain" recommendations of St Paul, somehow. I just wondered what they were.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

Well, I come from the nonconformist tradition. As well as being grounded in scripture it places a high value on dissent for reasons of personal conscience. Received wisdom is open to question. In general I think the received wisdom about scripture - that it is perspicuous i.e that its meaning is also plain - is in fact an error. That's a part of the biblical inerrancy argument. In my mind it is a misuse of the biblical material to treat it as a wholecloth. In fact my argument that there are different understandings of justice, mercy, faithfulness, even God Himself to be found in scripture is a scriptural argument. A plain reading demonstrates great diversity.

So what are we to do about that? I argue that we must indeed look for wider, more general, principles to give us some insight into how we treat this essentially diverse material. Then we can do some honest wrestling about what is just, merciful, faithful, loving, humble, kind etc.

It's an argument based on an attempted honest critique of the nature of the biblical material folks use as a source of authoritative opinion. I think some folks strain at a gnat and swallow a camel in the ways they weigh this material. Particularly when considering the freedoms and responsibilities of folks they perceive to be significantly different from themselves.

[ 07. April 2016, 10:49: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, I come from the nonconformist tradition. As well as being grounded in scripture it places a high value on dissent for reasons of personal conscience. Received wisdom is open to question. In general I think the received wisdom about scripture - that it is perspicuous i.e that its meaning is also plain - is in fact an error.

Coming from the same tradition as Barnabas, I have often argued that the "perspicuous" theory is in error because it fails to appreciate that the Bible was not written in a vacuum but in a particular cultural context (in fact several); that we readers come from our own, very different, contexts; that the Bible we read today has been subject to the inevitable decisions and biases brought by translators; and that we have been conditioned by the history of Biblical interpretation over many centuries. In other words we can never read the Bible (or any literature) in an entirely objective manner.

However there is a danger in all this as one might end up saying, "In that case there is absolutely no point in reading the Bible as we can never understand it"; clearly I wouldn't want to end up at that point! What needs to happen is partly for Christians to "do the research" as they read the Bible. Also - recognising that many Christians won't do that - preachers and teachers have the heavy responsibility of being good exegetes and appliers of the txt.

[ 07. April 2016, 11:04: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
otherwise why would Christians not have caught these hints from the start: they're in the Bible for all to see.

Because people are complex and selectively blind and even if they weren't the Bible is not easy to read and interpret.

(Obviously [Biased] )

quote:
Same applies to slavery, IMV, whether the Clapham lot were aware of it or not.

The Clapham lot gave extremely compelling accounts of their own thought processes and motivations which were Christian. It seems quite counter-intuitive to set all that aside on the basis of abstract reasoning. What's more, the culture they swam in was quite pro-slavery.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Clapham lot gave extremely compelling accounts of their own thought processes and motivations which were Christian. It seems quite counter-intuitive to set all that aside on the basis of abstract reasoning. What's more, the culture they swam in was quite pro-slavery.

The "culture they swam in" was also quite Christian, in addition to being quite pro-slavery. That's more or less my problem with crediting "the Church" or Christianity generally with opposing or slavery or supporting abolition. Casting it in that way makes it sound like the average English person of the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century was Zoroastrian or something and just needed some righteous Christians to show them The Way™.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

I think that's fair. So far as I can make out, and certainly in the early days of their campaigns, the Christians who were in favour of abolition occupied a place not dissimilar to Tutu's current position re LGBT folks i.e a minority voice, suspected by many to be dangerously unbiblical as well as radical.

My prejudices against comfortable majorities may be showing at this point. But then a number of my nonco forebears met sticky or fiery ends for the discomfort they caused. But then, the minority isn't always right either. As Baptist Trainfan hints, we need to encourage folks to do some honest hard work on these issues, rather than shop around for opinions which suit them.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Casting it in that way makes it sound like the average English person of the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century was Zoroastrian or something and just needed some righteous Christians to show them The Way™.

It was a simple statement of facts. I don't have any problem acknowledging that the established Church of the day was pro-slavery and did so in my first post on this topic.

What I have a problem with is claiming that the Clapham Sect's inspiration for their stance was anything other than their interpretation of Christianity and that is what I was responding to. It's what they claim for themselves and they set out their reasoning with great lucidity.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It was a simple statement of facts. I don't have any problem acknowledging that the established Church of the day was pro-slavery and did so in my first post on this topic.

What I have a problem with is claiming that the Clapham Sect's inspiration for their stance was anything other than their interpretation of Christianity and that is what I was responding to. It's what they claim for themselves and they set out their reasoning with great lucidity.

There's a somewhat interesting chicken-and-egg problem here. The details of the mirror image debate have been gone over repeatedly by blogger Fred Clark. A sample:

quote:
That, I think, is the problem with most of our theological and/or historical discussion of American slavery and American “biblical” Christianity. It paints an accurate portrait, but it hangs it wrong-side up. Last week, I discussed what I thought this means for historian Mark Noll’s invaluable writing on what he calls the “theological crisis” of the Civil War:

quote:
The perverse part of that argument and that narrative is this: It asserts that pre-1865 “biblical” Christians approved of slavery because of the way they read their Bibles. That’s not true. That’s the opposite of what is true. Pre-1865 “biblical” Christians read their Bibles the way they did because they approved of slavery.
<snip>

The problem was not that white evangelicals “could not break free of a biblical hermeneutic that led them to support slavery,” but that they were committed to support for slavery and therefore devised and adopted a hermeneutic that allowed and encouraged them to continue doing so.

Their hermeneutic did not lead to support for slavery. Support for slavery led to their hermeneutic.

Italics in original, bolding added by me.

The inverse is possibly true of the Clapham sect; that they didn't oppose slavery because of their interpretation of Christianity but rather they interpreted Christianity the way they did because they opposed slavery. Of course however one parses this particular chicken-and-egg problem the fact remains that the Clapham sect saw their abolitionism and their Christianity as inextricably linked.

Which brings us back around to the argument about anti-gay scriptural passages. The hermeneutic used there is pretty much the same as the Biblical interpretation methodology used by the pro-slavery side of the debate in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, particularly the focus on a narrow, "literal" interpretation of a small group of "clobber texts". Interestingly, despite using the exact same method of Biblical interpretation as the anti-abolitionists almost no anti-gay religious figures today are also pro-slavery. In that one particular instance they're willing to abandon their insistence on "literalism". This lends credence to the idea that most anti-gay people aren't anti-gay because of their interpretation of scripture, they interpret scripture the way they do because they're anti-gay.

[ 10. April 2016, 17:02: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
The inverse is possibly true of the Clapham sect; that they didn't oppose slavery because of their interpretation of Christianity but rather they interpreted Christianity the way they did because they opposed slavery.

Yes, if one feels strongly invested in such an idea then I guess it is possibly true but I know of no evidence to support it. Whereas, for instance, Wilberforce's anti slavery activity seemed to directly follow his conversion and be associated with a number of other changes in his life that followed Christian convictions.

quote:
This lends credence to the idea that most anti-gay people aren't anti-gay because of their interpretation of scripture, they interpret scripture the way they do because they're anti-gay.

People aren't so mechanically predictable. What one is blind to, one is blind to; and the blindness may sometimes be voluntary and self-serving but is not always so.

I used to feel that scripture was anti-gay and reluctantly accepted that interpretation. I was deeply uncomfortable about it and tried to find various ways of re-interpreting it but couldn't find any of them convincing. Finally I came to believe in a much less literal, less fundamentalist interpretation of scripture in general (weighed down by many contradictions an other areas) and then didn't have a problem any more. I experienced this as an enormous relief.

Of course it's possible that I was subconsciously homophobic (and perhaps still am) and only pretending to want to ditch the interpretation I had, and only pretending regarding the nature of my previous conflict even now. If it suits an a priori view to believe that then fine, but my experience was different.

By the way I don't think any of this makes me less culpable for my views. Sincerity isn't much of a defense. Fortunately I don't think I acted on them or expressed them as I was suitably embarrassed about them.

[ 10. April 2016, 17:15: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
most anti-gay people aren't anti-gay because of their interpretation of scripture, they interpret scripture the way they do because they're anti-gay.

I can think of other explanations.

Slavery as depicted in the Bible is quite clearly a human institution. It's not to be found in the Garden of Eden portrayal.

Male and female are portrayed as created characteristics, and the Genesis narrative can readily understood as having sexual implications (which are of necessity heterosexual); Jesus certainly interprets the early chapters of Genesis that way in Matthew 19.

Leaving aside the debates we've had about the implications of this here, I can quite understand that some Christians see a qualitative difference between those two starting points that would create a serious problem of conscience, without that making them simply and brutally "anti-gay". Such a shortcut may suit your position, but it lumps together a whole range of dispositions and motivations.

[x-post]

[ 10. April 2016, 17:23: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
I used to feel that scripture was anti-gay and reluctantly accepted that interpretation. I was deeply uncomfortable about it and tried to find various ways of re-interpreting it but couldn't find any of them convincing. Finally I came to believe in a much less literal, less fundamentalist interpretation of scripture in general (weighed down by many contradictions an other areas) and then didn't have a problem any more. I experienced this as an enormous relief.

Of course it's possible that I was subconsciously homophobic (and perhaps still am) and only pretending to want to ditch the interpretation I had, and only pretending regarding the nature of my previous conflict even now. If it suits an a priori view to believe that then fine, but my experience was different.

Actually I'd say your experience fairly well illustrates my point: discomfort at the implications of a particular hermeneutic method eventually drove you to select another one you were much more comfortable with.

quote:
Slavery as depicted in the Bible is quite clearly a human institution.

Debatable. The mis-named Curse of Ham certainly looks like God ordaining the enslavement of certain ethnic groups. And this is not the only instance where we see God decreeing the enslavement of certain people.

quote:
It's not to be found in the Garden of Eden portrayal.

Male and female are portrayed as created characteristics, and the Genesis narrative can readily understood as having sexual implications (which are of necessity heterosexual); Jesus certainly interprets the early chapters of Genesis that way in Matthew 19.

And yet those passages are, if anything, a complete non sequitur on the subject of marriage and divorce (which was theoretically what Jesus was discussing). Adam and Eve weren't married during their time in Eden, at least not in any sense we'd understand the term nor in any sense that would require anything like a divorce.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
The mis-named Curse of Ham certainly looks like God ordaining the enslavement of certain ethnic groups. And this is not the only instance where we see God decreeing the enslavement of certain people.

Whatever one makes of that, unlike male/female and the mention of the "two becoming one flesh", those instances all come quite a long way after The Fall™, which can I think be fairly construed as a qualitative difference, even if it's not one you personally accept.

quote:
And yet those passages are, if anything, a complete non sequitur on the subject of marriage and divorce (which was theoretically what Jesus was discussing). Adam and Eve weren't married during their time in Eden, at least not in any sense we'd understand the term nor in any sense that would require anything like a divorce.
If they are as non-sequiturial (?) as all that, it begs the question of why they are lined up side by side in the mouth of Jesus.

And again, irrespective of what one thinks about that, would it be too generous to admit that people might see a qualitative difference between this rapprochement between the creation of male and female and the estate of marriage by Jesus and the condition of slavery (which off the top of my head I cannot think of Jesus saying anything positive about at all)?

Even if you think this qualitative difference is a result of sloppy thinking, it's rather a jump from there to labelling all such sloppy thinkers as "anti-gay".

[ 10. April 2016, 18:40: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

I don't know. This whole Genesis argument is not the one that was traditionally levelled to condemn 'sodomy.' It's not found in the Fathers, not in any medieval I know, not even in any Reformed theologian; in other words, it's been recently tailored to justify opposition when the old arguments proved ineffective. Only the animus stays the same, the arguments keep shifting.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Let me get this straight. You're arguing that such an argument must be motivated primarily by anti-gay sentiment because it's not patristic enough? When did "considering it on its merits" fall out of fashion?

[ 10. April 2016, 21:21: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
The mis-named Curse of Ham certainly looks like God ordaining the enslavement of certain ethnic groups. And this is not the only instance where we see God decreeing the enslavement of certain people.

Whatever one makes of that, unlike male/female and the mention of the "two becoming one flesh", those instances all come quite a long way after The Fall™, which can I think be fairly construed as a qualitative difference, even if it's not one you personally accept.

But it does take place in a world washed clean by the Great Flood, supposedly to cleanse the earth of the wicked. The old order has been wiped away and humanity can begin again. And one of the first thing that happens is the introduction of slavery.

quote:
quote:
If they are as non-sequiturial (?) as all that, it begs the question of why they are lined up side by side in the mouth of Jesus.
It doesn't "beg the question", I'm asking the question. The story of Adam and Eve in Genesis 2 does not really seem to justify the conclusions or morals drawn from it. "That is why a man leaves his father and mother . . . " Really? How does that work? Adam didn't "leave his father and mother" for the fairly obvious reason that he had neither. None of the conclusions we're told we're supposed to draw from the narrative seem to logically follow from the story as presented. Some kind of explanation is warranted.

More to the point, there's nothing in there that would lead us to conclude ". . . and that's why homosexuality is evil!" We do however have an explanation as to why Eve was a suitable match for Adam, and what an unsuitable match looks like.

quote:
The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky [and a personal trainer]. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals [and the personal trainer he named Steve].

But for Adam no suitable helper was found.

I've added in the bits that are supposed to be there according to currently accepted theology but which the author of Genesis inexplicably left out. At any rate Eve seem to be acceptable not because she was different than Adam but rather because she was a much closer match than "livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals". I would argue that a same-sex match is probably much closer to an opposite-sex match than some sort of relationship involving bestiality.

quote:
And again, irrespective of what one thinks about that, would it be too generous to admit that people might see a qualitative difference between this rapprochement between the creation of male and female and the estate of marriage by Jesus and the condition of slavery (which off the top of my head I cannot think of Jesus saying anything positive about at all)?

Jesus seems to have said exactly as much about slavery as he did about homosexuality: nothing. Interestingly the standard for homosexuality seems to be "if Jesus said nothing then the teaching of the Old Testament remain valid", for some reason the same reasoning isn't usually applied to slavery.

Interestingly though, Jesus does take the time to reiterate the OT premise that Canaanites specifically are an inferior class of person, thus reinforcing the notion of a Curse of Ham. He's approached by a woman from the cursed line of Canaan and refuses to help her twice on the grounds of her accursed lineage. Only after she concedes her inferior status does he agree to help her. That's one of the clearest reinforcements of an Old Testament standard to be found in the New Testament.

quote:
Even if you think this qualitative difference is a result of sloppy thinking, it's rather a jump from there to labeling all such sloppy thinkers as "anti-gay".

That's the way such scriptural passages were described in the OP. If you have a problem with the moniker take it up with Eliab.

[ 11. April 2016, 00:13: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Crœsos, thanks for the detailed reply.

quote:
But [slavery] does take place in a world washed clean by the Great Flood, supposedly to cleanse the earth of the wicked. The old order has been wiped away and humanity can begin again.

It's not quite all over again though. There are notions of sin and sacrifice right from when Noah steps off the ark.
quote:
The story of Adam and Eve in Genesis 2 does not really seem to justify the conclusions or morals drawn from it. "That is why a man leaves his father and mother . . . " Really? How does that work? Adam didn't "leave his father and mother" for the fairly obvious reason that he had neither. None of the conclusions we're told we're supposed to draw from the narrative seem to logically follow from the story as presented. Some kind of explanation is warranted.
The way I understand this passage, is that Jesus is saying

a) in a perfect world ('how it was in the beginning'), we'd have people getting married living happily ever after
b) because of our human condition ('hardness of hearts') this is not always the case, so provision was made for divorce in the Mosaic law
c) the Pharisees are wrong to take what was meant as a provision when all else fails in a marriage as a right to be exercised, as inherently positive as the union in the first place.

["for this reason" I think means "because the man found the woman to be the right match for him". The Genesis narrative at that point could indeed be understood as meaning "the right match" in preference to the animals, but in addition, it highlights her difference to Adam as well as her similarity, by virtue of her name, which designates sexual difference: she is a woman and not another man.

(We can argue, and indeed have, about whether that difference matters today in terms of the reproductive function of marriage, but I would contend that in the beginning, this difference was there and significant).

Furthermore, I'd argue that Jesus' use of Genesis in Matthew supports the idea that "male/female difference" is what's important for him, not "difference from the animals". In Matthew, Jesus quotes the verse beginning "for this reason", not after quoting from the "animals" passage, but instead right on the heels of a verse in Genesis from the parallel creation narrative, the one that says God made them "male and female".

For this reason [Biased] it is surely not simply special pleading to suggest on these grounds that sexual difference, and not simply difference from the animals, was part of the raison d'être of marriage uppermost in Jesus' mind.]

quote:
More to the point, there's nothing in there that would lead us to conclude ". . . and that's why homosexuality is evil!"
Agreed, but what we do have is Jesus apparently using the pre-Fall circumstance of Adam and Eve as a kind of benchmark for marital relations, even as he makes allowances for other solutions.
quote:
We do however have an explanation as to why Eve was a suitable match for Adam, and what an unsuitable match looks like.
I have been round this bit of the argument with orfeo somewhere upthread, and again in my excursus above.

I agree the grounds for choosing Eve include the fact that she is not like the animals. However, I'm not convinced her sexual difference is entirely irrelevant, and it is certainly there.

Does this understanding make the Eden account (to borrow your borrowed terminology for a moment) "anti-gay"? Not necessarily. Might it indicate that heterosexuality was there "in the beginning" and not homosexuality, however we address the latter today? Possibly. Might this be the subject of an honest intellectual struggle, and not just an indication of someone casting around for novel arguments to support their fundamental anti-gayness? I would argue that yes, and I am asking for that possibility to be conceded.

quote:
Jesus seems to have said exactly as much about slavery as he did about homosexuality: nothing.
What I am calling into question is whether the parallel between the issues of slavery and sexuality is as direct as you make it out to be above. I agree there are a lot of compelling parallels, but I think the fact that the pre-Fall world has Adam and Eve in it, and that Jesus cites this circumstance, is a significant difference which could be fairly acknowledged as such, even if its implications are disputed or dealt with divergently.

quote:
Interestingly though, Jesus does take the time to reiterate the OT premise that Canaanites specifically are an inferior class of person
The dynamic of what's going on in that passage is, I think, hotly disputed (for instance, whether the Canaanite women is really being forced to grovel, or pulling off game set and match in a rhetorical jousting match), but we can perhaps agree that the end result demonstrates that it it shows that access to the grace of God is open to all, whatever the residual prejudices of the onlookers.

[ 11. April 2016, 06:08: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
discomfort at the implications of a particular hermeneutic method eventually drove you to select another one you were much more comfortable with.

It went on for quite a long time though. For about 15 years I believed that homosexuality was inherently sinful. So while for the last 5 years or so I might illustrate your point very well, I didn't illustrate it all that well for the 15 years before that.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Let me get this straight. You're arguing that such an argument must be motivated primarily by anti-gay sentiment because it's not patristic enough? When did "considering it on its merits" fall out of fashion?

No, I mean the chicken and egg problem is easily solved, the antipathy towards all things gay comes first and generates arguments to bolster itself.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I find that ceasing to suspect opponents' motives is the first step towards meaningful dialogue of any kind on this and many other issues.

Questioning motives can be a neat way of not engaging with the argument.

I don't think that you get that IRL, I'm more "pro-gay" than almost anybody I get to discuss these issues with, and quite minded, should the need arise, to take a "pro-gay" stand, albeit not as "pro" as some here would doubtless wish.

Having objections that crop up around me and which I find at the very least legitimate thrown back in my face as "anti-gay" does not encourage me to do so, though. In fact it positively discourages me.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
I find that ceasing to suspect opponents' motives is the first step towards meaningful dialogue of any kind on this and many other issues.

I don't think that you get that IRL, I'm more "pro-gay" than almost anybody I get to discuss these issues with, and quite minded, should the need arise, to take a "pro-gay" stand, albeit not as "pro" as some here would doubtless wish.

Having objections that crop up around me and which I find at the very least legitimate thrown back in my face as "anti-gay" does not encourage me to do so, though. In fact it positively discourages me.

I'm not saying that everyone who holds this argument valid is anti-gay and, though I do not know you, don't think you're beastly. I'm merely saying that when, through history, disapproval is a constant whilst the arguments used to articulate it constantly change, one must suspect bias.

In other words, I'm with Fred Clarke quoted above, people delved into the Bible to justify their pro-slavery opinions, now they're doing the same with the gay stuff.

[ 11. April 2016, 07:36: Message edited by: Joesaphat ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

In the beginning, the argument was that 'it's unnatural' as Paul said, like having long hair for men or short hair for women, or it corrupts boys (Clement). Then came Sodom and Gomorrah and God destroying countries with quakes because of it (John Chrysostom). Then it became sodomy, because non-reproductive. Then it did not proceed from a necessary complementarity (later RC catechism) and is disordered. Then it's to be condemned because it necessarily takes place outside of marriage, which, according to Gn2, can only be between a man and a woman for all the reasons you listed. The arguments are constantly shifting but the will to condemn is constant. How can one not be forced to conclude that it's the latter that generates the arguments against?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
The arguments are constantly shifting

I'm not really surprised at that, because I freely admit that our interaction with Scripture shifts with our cultural context. How far it can or should shift on any given subject is another whole can of worms!

quote:
but the will to condemn is constant.
I can see how you might conclude that, but to demonstrate a constant will to condemn, you have to first do a proper job of demonstrating why the argument is contrived and/or invalid.

Alleging a "will to condemn" as your first shot makes me, despite my best intentions (honest guv!), suspect that you find the argument put forward difficult to counter.

I can understand oppressed minorities finding it tiresome to repeatedly counter arguments like this, especially if they believe them to be pretexts for a more deep-seated prejudice and bad faith. Indeed, there have been expressions of battle fatigue here (Arabella Purity Winterbottom most recently), but unfortunately this does not dispense with the need for good standards of argument in order to be convincing.

And finally, one could argue the existence of a similarly constant "will to justify". If a christian self-identifies as gay, has searched their heart and conscience on the issue and decided their sexuality is just as legitimate as anyone else's, they are bound to bring that presupposition to their (re)interpretation of Scripture, aren't they?

I'm not convinced either side has the monopoly on that kind of approach. "Wonderful things in the Bible I see, some of them put there by you and by me".

[ 11. April 2016, 09:18: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
The way I understand this passage, is that Jesus is saying

a) in a perfect world ('how it was in the beginning'), we'd have people getting married living happily ever after
b) because of our human condition ('hardness of hearts') this is not always the case, so provision was made for divorce in the Mosaic law
c) the Pharisees are wrong to take what was meant as a provision when all else fails in a marriage as a right to be exercised, as inherently positive as the union in the first place.

Actually "in the beginning" was Adam and a series of various animals, if we take the narrative at face value. If the very beginning is supposed to represent "a perfect world", doesn't the later creation of Eve represent a step away from that initial perfection, according to the premises you've stated?

quote:
["for this reason" I think means "because the man found the woman to be the right match for him". The Genesis narrative at that point could indeed be understood as meaning "the right match" in preference to the animals, but in addition, it highlights her difference to Adam as well as her similarity, by virtue of her name, which designates sexual difference: she is a woman and not another man.

(We can argue, and indeed have, about whether that difference matters today in terms of the reproductive function of marriage, but I would contend that in the beginning, this difference was there and significant).

Actually the gender difference wasn't "there". You (and Jesus) have to C&P a chunk out of the previous chapter to find a bit that highlights the gender difference in newly created humans. Unfortunately this chapter doesn't say anything about humans pair-bonding, just that an undefinedly large group of newly created humans had gender.

We do, however, have the Adam and Eve text tell us what Adam sees as the key reason he and Eve are meant for each other:

quote:
This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh

If we take your reasoning at face value, the key to good pair bonding is to mate only with your own clone. Failing that, some kind of incestuous relationship is most Biblically appropriate, since that would insure similarities of flesh.

quote:
quote:
Jesus seems to have said exactly as much about slavery as he did about homosexuality: nothing.
What I am calling into question is whether the parallel between the issues of slavery and sexuality is as direct as you make it out to be above.
I think you're missing the point. It's not that the issues are parallel, but rather that the same hermeneutic seems to be at work in the anti-gay arguments of today that was at work in the pro-slavery arguments of the past (legalistic references to various "clobber texts" without reference to context). There seems a massive unwillingness to examine why such a hermeneutic failed so spectacularly in the past and a blithe assurance that whatever caused its massive failure in the past doesn't apply to using the same methodology today.

quote:
quote:
Interestingly though, Jesus does take the time to reiterate the OT premise that Canaanites specifically are an inferior class of person
The dynamic of what's going on in that passage is, I think, hotly disputed (for instance, whether the Canaanite women is really being forced to grovel, or pulling off game set and match in a rhetorical jousting match), but we can perhaps agree that the end result demonstrates that it it shows that access to the grace of God is open to all, whatever the residual prejudices of the onlookers.
It also seems to demonstrate that, while the grace of God may be open to all, it's more open to some than others. Some folks (descendants of Seth, heterosexuals, etc.) are invited to the metaphorical feast, while others (Canaanites, homosexuals, etc.) are only fit to get the metaphorical crumbs that fall from the equally metaphorical table.

quote:
quote:
but the will to condemn is constant.
I can see how you might conclude that, but to demonstrate a constant will to condemn, you have to first do a proper job of demonstrating why the argument is contrived and/or invalid.
It seems a little bit arrogant and a lot like stacking the deck to demand those who are condemned explain why their condemnation is invalid rather than expecting the condemner to have to justify himself. Why shouldn't the one making the argument have to demonstrate it's validity rather than expecting those it condemns to justify their worth?

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I will always suspect the motives of those who overtly or covertly desire to exclude me, whatever stage of the process they're at. Particularly when they are being nice. I've been burned badly too many times by "trusting the process."

Eutychus, you're on the side of this debate that holds almost all the power. I'm going to give one example of how this makes it hard to trust. You know the outline of my story.

Towards the end of my church journey, I sought a judicial review of the decision to prevent me from being assessed as a candidate for ministry. I was extremely fortunate that the Assembly decided to test the arguments thoroughly. A retired High Court judge was appointed to hear the case, and at the appointed day we all turned up, including two members of the Human Rights Commission of NZ, who were interested observers.

After listening to all the arguments and reading all the submissions, he came back with a judgment that he could not see any reason in doctrine or practice that would prevent my going through the interview process. He wrote a very detailed decision on why this was so.

The church decided that, rather than wait for the next round of interviews, they would convene a special 3-day process specially for me, with 5 fake candidates as well as me. No pressure!

We went, and I think I acquitted myself well. There was one member of the interview board who wouldn't talk to me, which put me in the position of knowing I would fail because a unanimous decision is required. I asked the panel to address this, but they said, "matter of conscience," and that was that. My heart was very heavy, but I continued on, with the encouragement of all the fake candidates (such a weird situation).

At the end of the three days, I was given a flat "no." No reasons, no explanations, no nothing. I subsequently heard that it was just that one person who stood in my way. One person who had completely refused to engage in "the process," who knew he held all the power.

Why should I trust those who can do that? The panel member who rang me a couple of weeks afterwards to share his own anger about what happened is the only member of that panel I feel any peace towards.

Subsequently, I resigned from my eldership, then from the church. It had been made perfectly plain to me that the "conscience" of one to exclude completely trumped the decision of the other members to include. I'm a human being, not a cartoon cutout. I have feelings, and they were extremely battered by then (after 30 years of trying to make a connection with "the other side").

I was sad about it, but I will never completely trust the motives of anyone in the church, on either side.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And finally, one could argue the existence of a similarly constant "will to justify". If a christian self-identifies as gay, has searched their heart and conscience on the issue and decided their sexuality is just as legitimate as anyone else's, they are bound to bring that presupposition to their (re)interpretation of Scripture, aren't they?

Bias is always a potential problem for any argument, but it is also a handy escape.
quote:

I'm not convinced either side has the monopoly on that kind of approach. "Wonderful things in the Bible I see, some of them put there by you and by me".

This is why one should examine the overall purpose of the text, rather than lines of text. If God created us all and loves his creations, if Jesus' message of love and acceptance is real; then which side of the argument best fits?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Actually "in the beginning" was Adam and a series of various animals, if we take the narrative at face value. If the very beginning is supposed to represent "a perfect world", doesn't the later creation of Eve represent a step away from that initial perfection, according to the premises you've stated?

Actually, "in the beginning" here was not Adam and a series of various animals. When Jesus uses "in the beginning" in Matthew, he is explicitly referring to "when God created male and female" (before the provision of divorce).

quote:
Actually the gender difference wasn't "there". You (and Jesus) have to C&P a chunk out of the previous chapter
Well, at least I'm in good company exegeting that way. Like I say, if Jesus was happy to do that C&P, I don't think it's an unfair assumption to think that in his mind at least, marriage was between the two sexes. Otherwise there would be no point at all in quoting the earlier passage. Can you suggest an alternative explanation for why he does?

You can make reductio ad absurdum arguments about having to marry your clone, but these will not explain why Jesus chose to quote the "male and female" verse in the explicit context of marriage.

quote:
I think you're missing the point. It's not that the issues are parallel, but rather that the same hermeneutic seems to be at work in the anti-gay arguments of today that was at work in the pro-slavery arguments of the past (legalistic references to various "clobber texts" without reference to context).
No, I get that.

But (whatever one thinks of it) I don't accept that the argument from the early chapters of Genesis falls neatly into that category. Unlike the "clobber texts", there is an appeal to creation, explicitly reprised by Jesus. I'm not saying this is bomb-proof, but I don't think it can be dispensed with quite so easily. And my parallel for this line of thinking is the various arguments about complementarianism, not slavery.

quote:
It also seems to demonstrate that, while the grace of God may be open to all, it's more open to some than others. Some folks (descendants of Seth, heterosexuals, etc.) are invited to the metaphorical feast, while others (Canaanites, homosexuals, etc.) are only fit to get the metaphorical crumbs that fall from the equally metaphorical table.
I think the currency of the Kingdom of God is grace not rights, for everyone. We are all fit only to get metaphorical crumbs, but in the grace of God we get a seat at the table.

In a church context, I don't go round bashing people on the head to remind them they are miserable sinners, but I do spend a lot of time reiterating that we are all beneficiaries of God's grace and not possessed of any particular entitlements when it comes to being accepted. You may feel this is simply a sneaky way of maintaining the status quo, but locally at least, I think it has actually changed the latter over time.
quote:
It seems a little bit arrogant and a lot like stacking the deck to demand those who are condemned explain why their condemnation is invalid rather than expecting the condemner to have to justify himself. Why shouldn't the one making the argument have to demonstrate it's validity rather than expecting those it condemns to justify their worth?
I agree the situation is unfair. As I said to lilbuddha some time ago, though, it is also unfair to use the unfairness as a kind of rhetorical judo hold.

I was not suggesting the "condemners" be exempt from demonstrating the validity of their arguments, but saying (to Joesaphat) that starting by accusing the condemners of bad faith in preference to doing so was not persuasive or conducive to discussion.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Arabella, I recall your story and it is truly saddening. Realistically, there is perhaps always going to be some doubt about motives on either side; my comment in the context of this thread was in relation to something Joesaphat said earlier which I have addressed again above.

(You may have noticed I also quoted you as an example of battle-weariness. That wasn't intended as a slight).

Lilbuddha, also as outlined above, my take on "Jesus' overall teaching" is that, in terms of a church community, the overriding message is one of acceptance based on grace not rights. Which is related to my belief in some sort of "Fall", which I think the debate in Purgatory has demonstrated cannot simply be consigned to the "Jesus riding a dinosaur" category, even if there is quite some disagreement about it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016