homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Noah (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Noah
markporter
Shipmate
# 4276

- Posted      Profile for markporter   Author's homepage   Email markporter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering what people think about the Genesis flood, really the main question is whether it was local or global.......if it was local, then why was the ark so huge, and if it was global, then does geology/biology/other science support this?

[ 03. September 2003, 21:41: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posts: 1309 | From: Oxford | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have a problem with a major flood occuring. (And there are lots of flood stories around the world.)

I do have a problem with the idea that God sent it. (Which is somewhat off-topic, I know.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by markporter:
I'm wondering what people think about the Genesis flood, really the main question is whether it was local or global

Or is the account developed from stories of several small floods exagerated into a single mythical great flood with no particular historical flood at all?

quote:
if it was local, then why was the ark so huge,
Well, on the same basis as above, why shouldn't the dimensions of the Ark have been exagerated? The Ark was of a similar size to a modern cargo ship - which is very large for an ancient boat. I've been trying to find some data on the sizes of ancient boats, but couldn't find quite what I wanted. I get the impression the Ark would be maybe 10 times the length of boats from more recent times (such as Greek or Egyptian boats).

quote:
if it was global, then does geology/biology/other science support this?
No. There is no evidence in either geology or elsewhere to support a global flood. In fact, the evidence is that there was no global flood - for example, the dispersion and diversity of species currently alive.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
markporter
Shipmate
# 4276

- Posted      Profile for markporter   Author's homepage   Email markporter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
so the Bible's lying?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
so the Bible's lying?

Or maybe it's the veracity of people who interpret the Bible as saying there was a global flood who need to be questioned?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
so the Bible's lying?

No more than it is when it says a great fish swallowed Jonah, and he was inside it for three days and for three nights.
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm wondering what people think about the Genesis flood, really the main question is whether it was local or global.......if it was local, then why was the ark so huge....?

To get all the animals in...

More importantly, the huge size is a good storytelling technique: if you really want to impress people, make sure the unusual and folly seeming effort is huge. Kind of like dying on a cross between two thieves after being whipped, degraded, judged by your peers, and deserted.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
markporter
Shipmate
# 4276

quote:
Or maybe it's the veracity of people who interpret the Bible as saying there was a global flood who need to be questioned?

Well, OK, take a local flood instead......building an ark that huge seems a little excessive........
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The Bible exagerates the extent of the flood inorder to make a theological point - why not also exagerate the size of the Ark? The Ark as described is huge, especially for a single family to build - imagine 4 men trying to move a tree to make a keel for a 450ft boat let alone shaping it.

--------------------

markporter
Shipmate
# 4276

quote:
The Bible exagerates the extent of the flood inorder to make a theological point - why not also exagerate the size of the Ark?
I suppose because I'm a biblical inerrantist at heart [Confused]
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The Bible exagerates the extent of the flood inorder to make a theological point - why not also exagerate the size of the Ark?
Or maybe God likes telling stories.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
adso
Shipmate
# 2895

- Posted      Profile for adso   Email adso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My main problem with the story of Noah is that some of the other versions are so much better! The Hindu tale of Manu (I think) is ace.

--------------------
os justi meditabitur sapientiam, et lingua eius loquetur judicium. lex dei eius in corde ipsius, et non supplantabuntur gressus eius. alleluia.

Posts: 688 | From: pays de galles | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
so the Bible's lying?

I also believe that the Bible is absolute truth. [Angel]

But I have always been told that rather than being literal these early bible stories are intended to be understood as symbolic. [Paranoid]

I was told that the flood was a flood of evil. Noah and his family represented all those who survived it. The ark and the animals describe how they survived and what survived. The dimensions and details give specific information about this - revealed in a way that made sense to the ancient mind.

The fact that there are similar stories almost everywhere in the world testifies to the universality of this ancient method. [Cool]

But in the Bible it is all true and straight from the mouth of God - every jot and tittle. [Wink]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
so the Bible's lying?

What makes you think that the Bible is written in the language of 21st Century Western man?

Since the Bible was written, there have been several fundamental changes in world-view, and innumerable cultural changes. The language of the Bible is almost incomprehensible to modern man.

It isn't lying. It is speaking in a way that post-Enlightenment man is very badly equipped to tune into. It isn't a Maker's handbook written in a technical fashion - it is a lot of disparate texts heavily imprinted with the mannerisms of the humans who wrote them. But - with the numinous and aweful ruach of God heavy on every page.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These ancient sections of the bible weren't given as written word; they were passed from generation to generation as oral tradition. And the people who recounted stories of a "global" flood had no idea that the earth was global. They thought it was flat. And they believed the heavens weere stretched out like a tent above a static flat earth, with waters above the firmament. They certainly didn't know of the existence of China or the Americas or Japan or Australia or Antarctica. So they didn't even have the language to describe a "global" flood.

The ancient Hebrews were not literalists in the sense we might think of today. They didn't have the same attitudes towards counting and measurement which came with the age of science. Numbers and measurements were used to express emotional and symbolic force. (Hence people people who lived to an old age were given ages assymptotically approaching 1000; hence the significance of 3 and 7 as wholesome and holy numbers; of 40 days as a long time etc).

The ancient Hebrews were "literalists" in a quite different sense. They used and understood a wide variety of forms of literature, including poetry and imaginative stories and folklore and historical romances and a form of symbolic fantasy known as apocalyptic and many other forms, and used them all in their sacred writings.

If we have to believe in the flood, do we have to believe in tales of talking donkeys and snakes too?

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ptarmigan:
If we have to believe in the flood, do we have to believe in tales of talking donkeys and snakes too?

FYI, some churches do. My childhood church certainly did!

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the talking donkey story can't be tested against geological evidence....

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
And the talking donkey story can't be tested against geological evidence....

Reader Alexis

[Wink]

My personal religious questions are more centered on the existence and nature of God. If God exists and is good, She may or may not have created everything (one way or another!), made a donkey speak, come among us and rose from the dead. Her nature is the most important thing.

If She exists and is evil, then none of that other stuff matters, true or not. Her nature is the most important thing.

If She doesn't exist, then we're Home Alone. (like the movie). Oh-oh... [Roll Eyes] [Eek!]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bumper stickers I've read suggest She exists, is pissed, gave birth to your god, and has a wonderful plan for your life.

Not necessarily in that order.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
- imagine 4 men trying to move a tree to make a keel for a 450ft boat let alone shaping it.

Not really a boat. More a giant box.

She probably didn't handle at all well.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
so the Bible's lying?

If we read what Genesis chapter 6, 7 & 8 actually say as opposed to what 10 generations of Sunday-school teachers say they said, it is not completely sure that they say the whole planet was covered - "eretz" can mean a lot of things.

7.19-20 is the proof text, the bit about all the mountains under the face of heaven being 15 cubits underwater. If one wanted to worm out of it one could always say that it doesn't really say all the mountains.

Pretty obviously the writers of the story intend us to understand that all the humans were killed. But if you are taking the complete inerrantist "full plenary inspiration" view of Scripture you have to allow that God may have planted meanings in the writings that the human authors did not intend or were not aware of.

--------------------
Ken

markporter
Shipmate
# 4276

OK, I'm pretty convinced by the idea of a local flood, articles like http://geology.about.com/library/weekly/aa080899.htm seem pretty convincing from the scientific point of view, and I suppose a biblical view can also be maintained.......I still have issues with the big boat, but I suppose they can be got round.....perhaps a boat that big really would be needed for that type of flood.....especially if it lasted the length of time it says in the Bible.
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that much of the OT is non-literal which is NOT the same thing as saying that it's lying. Christianity (and Christians) are so funny in their dualisms. For example:

If it's not literal, than it's a lie.

Other cultures often do not get this. Case in point, if you ask a Hindu "Does the elephant God actually exist" they will look at you as if you were on drugs. Because, of COURSE the elephant God is a story/myth that has been propogated to make a POINT.

The point of Noah? Simplistically, man sinned so bad that God had to damn near exterminate us. Not a bad point if you have a totalitarian bent, and don't mind your God being a World Class Meanie, I guess.

Some minor points of conflict in the biblical account? How about genetics won't allow that limited amount of breeding stock to survive in man or beast. No evidence of a worldwide global flood and plenty of evidence for sustained, logical, explainable development of the earth through "normal" geologic means.

The black sea episode is a great explanation of why the flood is not a lie. If you are a human that survived that flood in your boat, you'd make it quite a story too, not out of any sense of embelishment, but probably out of shock!

On the other hand, ask a scientist to explain why the Big Bang happened. Ask a scientist to explain why the Universe happened at all when the odds say it can never and would have never happened. Ask a scientist to explain why evolution was punctuated and we have no way of explaining how we got cleanly from cells to brains. Ask a scientist to explain how a cell has so many components that it could not generate much less mutate into a higher form without defying the same odds as the Universe existing at all.

I am sure the scientists (and I) will tell you some great myths too.

P.S. Myth is not a bad word.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, it might well be worth asking some of those questions in your last paragraph Mad Geo. You'd be surprised how well answered some of them are.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

- Posted      Profile for J. J. Ramsey   Author's homepage   Email J. J. Ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
I think that much of the OT is non-literal which is NOT the same thing as saying that it's lying. Christianity (and Christians) are so funny in their dualisms. For example:

If it's not literal, than it's a lie.

Mad Geo, it's a bit more complicated than that. The problem is that the flood story is presented as if it were history. Now it may be that when the flood story was originally told, it was understood as just a story with a point to it. However, the author of Genesis, however, seems to have taken it to be factual, not even letting the story "float" as some disconnected event in the past, but trying to stitch it into the timeline by genealogies. The Noahic flood may be a myth, but it's a myth that was relayed to us as history, so it will not do to simply say that it was never meant to be taken literally.

Contrast this with the Psalms, for example. Hardly anyone today says about the Psalms that if it's not literal, than it's a lie. It's a genre understood both in its own time and today as non-literal, so the Psalms aren't charged with "lying" in the same way that Genesis is.

--------------------
I am a rationalist. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually make me rational.

Posts: 1490 | From: Tallmadge, OH | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, the author of Genesis, however, seems to have taken it to be factual, not even letting the story "float" as some disconnected event in the past, but trying to stitch it into the timeline by genealogies. The Noahic flood may be a myth, but it's a myth that was relayed to us as history, so it will not do to simply say that it was never meant to be taken literally.
Then the writer of Genesis (or perhaps more correctly the redactor) got it wrong.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:

Hardly anyone today says about the Psalms that if it's not literal, than it's a lie. It's a genre understood both in its own time and today as non-literal, so the Psalms aren't charged with "lying" in the same way that Genesis is.

At the weekend my daughter was reading Psalm 17:

quote:

Hear, O LORD , my righteous plea; listen to my cry.
Give ear to my prayer - it does not rise from deceitful lips.

May my vindication come from you; may your eyes see what is right.

Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing;
I have resolved that my mouth will not sin.

As for the deeds of men - by the word of your lips I have kept myself from the ways of the violent.

My steps have held to your paths; my feet have not slipped.

And she said "That's about David?" [Eek!]

[fixed code]

[ 14. May 2003, 02:48: Message edited by: Scot ]

--------------------
Ken

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl

The hubris of science is without bounds.

I have read many of the scientific things I brought up, and found the answers often unsatisfying. As have I found the answers posed by innerrantists often unsatisfying.

I do not propose that scientists will not eventually come up with answers to some or maybe even all of the questions I mentioned. But greater minds than I have serious problems with some, if not all, of the questions I raised there.

J.J.

The flood story being presented as history is no more or less a problem than some of the stuff attributed as history that Jesus said. With the possible exception that we have less time traspired since Jesus allegedly said these things.

It is not simple, but it is not complex either.
There is a reality that can be measured using other historical sources to "verify" the historicity of the bible. Again, greater minds than I have shown that historicity and the bible do not perfectly mesh in virtually any book of the bible. It is not limited to Psalms or Genesis.

Many people cannot seem to be able to adjust to the thought that the bible does not have to be literal. It can be mythical and that is OKAY.
It's a document of Faith, not science. If people want a scientific document they should read Einstein. If they want to know how to live a good life, read the bible, or the Koran, or the Sutras. There is nothing wrong with stories of the bible as told, just like there is nothing wrong with any good literature. It's good because it's good.

God will either inspire us through it, or he will inspire us through something else. It doesn't have to fit our conception of how he had it assembled or written.

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Is there a <sticks hand up at the back of the class and yells 'Please, Sir!'> smiley?

I belive that account of the Flood describes a real historical event and that the author of it intended it to be read as history.

However as we (pretty certainly) know that there hasn't been a global flood in the last some millions of years, it must have been a local flood. Which of course there certainly have been.

And "local" might well mean all of "civilisation" as defined by the originators of the story. There are at least 2 known candidates for massive floods on civilisation-destroying scales geologically recent times - probably more - no way to say "this was Noah's flood" of course, though paperback books claiming that one or another was no doubt sell to people who like to read about how the aliens founded the Knights Templar or whatever (obvious innit - those round churches are based on the shape of a flying saucer - you can even see where the ship's console was)

--------------------
Ken

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

I heard that smiley was on order, but was held up at the post office.

--------------------

J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

- Posted      Profile for J. J. Ramsey   Author's homepage   Email J. J. Ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider:
quote:
However, the author of Genesis, however, seems to have taken it to be factual, not even letting the story "float" as some disconnected event in the past, but trying to stitch it into the timeline by genealogies. The Noahic flood may be a myth, but it's a myth that was relayed to us as history, so it will not do to simply say that it was never meant to be taken literally.
Then the writer of Genesis (or perhaps more correctly the redactor) got it wrong.
That's pretty much my point.

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

To say that the author or redactor got it wrong IMHO is also wrong.

We are taking a 20th century "modern" (as opposed to post-modern) standard to evaluating whether the author/redactor got it right.

Ludicrous.

If you want to know if he/she "got it right", you gotta put yourself in the cultural/political/writing milieu of the time.

How can we possibly do that?

Literary comparison is our best shot and it pretty well sucketh mightily if you want to apply the "truth" standard. The point is, this "got it right"/"got it wrong", "black/white", or even "grey" standard is SO artificial.

We weren't there so we can't be SURE. We don't even have good eyewitness accounts (as if there were such a thing).

The best one can do, IMHO, is say, "I beleive X, because I have FAITH that X was how it was" not because of some modernistic, imposed, chain of logic based on our opinions of someone elses cultural milieu and writing style.

--------------------

Glenn Oldham
Shipmate
# 47

- Posted      Profile for Glenn Oldham   Author's homepage   Email Glenn Oldham   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm wondering what people think about the Genesis flood, really the main question is whether it was local or global.......if it was local, then why was the ark so huge, and if it was global, then does geology/biology/other science support this?

Global? Certainly not.

My favourite quote about this topic is from Philip Kitcher
quote:
Far from being a solution to creationism's problems, the flood is a disaster. Consider biogeography. The ark lands on Ararat, say eight thousand years ago, and out pop the animals (let's be kind and forget the plants). we now have eight thousand years for the marsupials to find their way to Australia, crossing several large bodies of water in the process. Perhaps you can imagine a few energetic kangaroos making it - but the wombats? [And i would add - the marsupial moles?] from 'Born Again Creationism in Intelligent Design Creationism and its Critics ed by Robert T. Pennock
As for the ark being huge its dimensions are exceedingly small if it was going to take a pair of every creature in the globe - a collecting task that would have taken hundreds of years for Noah to accomplish anyway. The story cannot be taken seriously as history. In this respect the problems of seeing it as literally true and historical far exceed the problems facing seeing Genesis 1 as literally true.

Glenn

--------------------
This entire doctrine is worthless except as a subject of dispute. (G. C. Lichtenberg 1742-1799 Aphorism 60 in notebook J of The Waste Books)

Posts: 910 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Glenn Oldham
Shipmate
# 47

- Posted      Profile for Glenn Oldham   Author's homepage   Email Glenn Oldham   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Then don't be! God is bigger than that. [Yipee]
G.

--------------------
This entire doctrine is worthless except as a subject of dispute. (G. C. Lichtenberg 1742-1799 Aphorism 60 in notebook J of The Waste Books)

J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

quote:

We are taking a 20th century "modern" (as opposed to post-modern) standard to evaluating whether the author/redactor got it right.

No. The question is whether the author/redactor, by the standards of his (or her) own time, would have been wrong.

quote:

If you want to know if he/she "got it right", you gotta put yourself in the cultural/political/writing milieu of the time.

Indeed, and that task is neither ludicrous nor impossible. Difficult, yes, and at least as much of an art as a science, but doable.

"It's mythical" or "it's not meant to be taken literally" is sometimes used as a way to protect the Scriptures from being charged with being in error or wrong, especially by those of a more liberal bent. The trouble is, whether something is meant to be taken literally or not is a question of genre. Lack of historicity by itself cannot make something mythical.

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

quote:
quote:

No. The question is whether the author/redactor, by the standards of his (or her) own time, would have been wrong.

quote:

Indeed, and that task is neither ludicrous nor impossible. Difficult, yes, and at least as much of an art as a science, but doable.

"It's mythical" or "it's not meant to be taken literally" is sometimes used as a way to protect the Scriptures from being charged with being in error or wrong, especially by those of a more liberal bent. The trouble is, whether something is meant to be taken literally or not is a question of genre. Lack of historicity by itself cannot make something mythical.

Well, it sounds like you have more faith in the abilities of humans, reaching backwards through time, with a tiny fraction of the comparitive data required since the books were either non-existent or long gone, and so on, to reach exactitiude than I do.

I am of a "liberal" bent at times and simultaneously have no desire to "protect the Scriptures" from being charged with error or not. In fact I would say the conservatives try too protect the scriptures by declaring them inerrant.

My personal take is the scriptures are what they are. We can sometimes tease facts out of them, sometimes not. We can hold them in great faith, or question them until we feel like we are holding onto our religion by fingernails slipping.

We do the scriptures a disservice by removing the humanity from them. They were written by humans for humans. God's participation in the process is not quantifiable, it's belief. And that's Ok.

I beleive God had his hand in it, not on it.

I say all this because I have experienced the anguish of having my inerrantness being beat upon the rocks of "Biblical Literature". I now know the position of inerrantness to be one that can break a faith. I am not hardly the first to encounter this.

My personal faith survived because I had faith to fall back on, as opposed to just rationale and/or thinking. If I had been someone only geared to Christian Logic and Inerrantness,

I would now be an atheist.

I am not alone.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
My personal faith survived because I had faith to fall back on, as opposed to just rationale and/or thinking. If I had been someone only geared to Christian Logic and Inerrantness, I would now be an atheist.

I am not alone.

No, you are not!

From an Orthodox POV one of the chief points of the Noah thing is that it is a prefigurement of baptism. Ditto for the crossing of the Red Sea, and Jonah's being swallowed and regurgitated by the large sea creature, whale, fish, whatever.

In order to do this work, i.e. to prefigure baptism, it is not necessary for ANY of these things to have actually happened.

Thus I remain blissfully agnostic about the historicity of them all. [Cool]

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Oldham:
As for the ark being huge its dimensions are exceedingly small if it was going to take a pair of every creature in the globe - a collecting task that would have taken hundreds of years for Noah to accomplish anyway. The story cannot be taken seriously as history. In this respect the problems of seeing it as literally true and historical far exceed the problems facing seeing Genesis 1 as literally true.

I agree.

It would be one thing if there was any kind of claim that God miraculously built this ark and fed the animals. But there is no claim to a miracle.

1. No one that long ago, much less four incredibly old men acting alone, could make a 150-yard boat (or box) capable of floating around on the ocean for over a year. How would they have done it?
2. No one could catch pairs of all the animals on earth, plus seven pairs of all the clean animals, including birds and insects, and house them until the flood started.
3. No one could keep all those animals alive for a year and ten days on a boat like that. There wouldn't be room for even a small portion of the animals, much less food and water for them.
4. Single pairs of animals could not repopulate the entire earth in a mere few thousand years.
etc.

I say this even though I fully believe in the literal truth of all the Biblical miracles, in the literal strength and quickness of characters like Samson, and that it appeared to Balaam that his donkey literally spoke to him.

It seems evident to me that, somewhere in the geneologies of Genesis 11, Abraham's ancestors pass out of mythical history and into real history. At that point the story becomes the story of the particular people who were the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Collins
Shipmate
# 41

- Posted      Profile for John Collins   Author's homepage   Email John Collins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other thing to remember about the Ark is that you can't build wooden ships that big - especially ones to survive that kind of storm. There is a definite limit to the size of ship you can make of wood - that's why they moved over to steel.

Another more amusing thought is the "waste disposal" problem - Noah and his 7 companions would have had to have shovelled poop overboard at the rate of 2 or 3 animals a minute 24 hours a day. Adding to the difficulty of that would be the complete set of pathogenic bacteria and viruses they would have had to be suffering from a share of each. [Projectile] literally.

--------------------
John Collins

Posts: 179 | From: Welwyn Garden City, Herts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

quote:

Well, it sounds like you have more faith in the abilities of humans, reaching backwards through time, with a tiny fraction of the comparitive data required since the books were either non-existent or long gone, and so on, to reach exactitiude than I do.

Except that exactitude is not required. "Ancient prose is generally meant to be taken literally; ancient poetry is given far more license" is not a statement that involves a lot of precision. Historians, scholars, archaeologists can and do take into account ancient literary genres, ancient mindsets, etc.

quote:

I am of a "liberal" bent at times and simultaneously have no desire to "protect the Scriptures" from being charged with error or not.

Yet you have a problem with saying that one could validly decide the author of Genesis to be wrong.

quote:

In fact I would say the conservatives try too protect the scriptures by declaring them inerrant.

Won't argue with that.

quote:

We do the scriptures a disservice by removing the humanity from them.

Fair enough. However, I do not see how analyzing and even finding errors in Scripture constitutes "removing the humanity from them," especially since errors, mistakes, and misunderstanding are very much a part of the human experience.

--------------------

markporter
Shipmate
# 4276

hmmm, well, lots of interesting points there, some specific replies to a few posts:

Firstly all the logistical problems with the ark......you obviously haven't looked at any creationist websites.....believe me, they will explain anything you give to them (not that I endorse their views)

quote:
I belive that account of the Flood describes a real historical event and that the author of it intended it to be read as history.
Yep.....just the interpretation of the history that is difficult to understand....we are not in the position that the writers were in to understand exactly what they meant by every word.

quote:
If they want to know how to live a good life, read the bible, or the Koran, or the Sutras.

Well, I would disagree with that one......firstly because of the lack of a capital "B" for Bible [Razz] and secondly because I think that the only good life that can be led is from the Bible, and not from any other religious text, a truly good life is led in relation to the one true God, and not any other standpoint.
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Markporter said:
quote:
.....the interpretation of the history that is difficult to understand....we are not in the position that the writers were in to understand exactly what they meant by every word.

Yep, what Markporter said.

quote:

Well, I would disagree with that one......firstly because of the lack of a capital "B" for Bible and secondly because I think that the only good life that can be led is from the Bible, and not from any other religious text, a truly good life is led in relation to the one true God, and not any other standpoint.

Good catch on the Bible, that was a typo not a commentary. [Big Grin]

We could start a whole 'nother conversation on whether the "one true God" manifests himself to different people, different ways. We could also start a whole 'nother conversation on the fact that millions of people live wonderful lives from other religious texts or even from agnosticism, or atheism. But that would deviate from your OP.

Suffice it to say, many Christians are gonna be surprised at how many people don't look like "them" in Heaven, High Heaven (Koran), or Nirvana.

--------------------

markporter
Shipmate
# 4276

quote:
We could start a whole 'nother conversation on whether the "one true God" manifests himself to different people, different ways. We could also start a whole 'nother conversation on the fact that millions of people live wonderful lives from other religious texts or even from agnosticism, or atheism. But that would deviate from your OP.

OK, not to go into it here....but I admit that some ideas of other religions are good, it is just that when there are huge differences such as Christ saving us from out sins, or him just being a lovely person that we find they can't all be totally from the same God.
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

A mentor of mine once said:

"I have no issue with Jesus being the Son of God, I just wonder why Christianity sometimes forgets the rest of us are Sons and Daughters of God, too."

I'm still thinking on that one.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
A mentor of mine once said:

"I have no issue with Jesus being the Son of God, I just wonder why Christianity sometimes forgets the rest of us are Sons and Daughters of God, too."

I'm still thinking on that one.

He is the only-begotten, begotten of the Father before all ages. That doesn't apply to any of the rest of us. He gave us the right to become sons and daughters by adoption.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with all MadGeo says about a metaphorical understanding of theb OT. In that I can't agree with markporter's inerrantist stance. But I would go further than Mad Geo. I think many of the stories in the New Testament fall into the category of allegory.

Whether Moses parted the Red Sea in history, is less important than what the story tells us about human trust in God. Whether Jesus walked on the Sea of Gallilee is less important than the Theophany expressed in the tale. It's amazing how many Christians are happy to take OT stories as allegory, but insist that NT stories are history. I disagree. The Bible is a road map, from how we can, if we would only embrace it, grow from children of the darkness of our fallen world, to son's of the resurrected Kingdom.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH:
It's amazing how many Christians are happy to take OT stories as allegory, but insist that NT stories are history.

Why is that amazing? It seems pretty natural to me.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Glenn Oldham
Shipmate
# 47

quote:
The problem is that the flood story is presented as if it were history. Now it may be that when the flood story was originally told, it was understood as just a story with a point to it. However, the author of Genesis, however, seems to have taken it to be factual, not even letting the story "float" as some disconnected event in the past, but trying to stitch it into the timeline by genealogies. The Noahic flood may be a myth, but it's a myth that was relayed to us as history, so it will not do to simply say that it was never meant to be taken literally.

Yes, but a couple of points here
  • "it's a myth that was relayed to us as history" some mistake surely, since the original writers/redactors of Genesis were not writing for 'us'
  • "the author of Genesis, however, seems to have taken it to be factual" the redactor's views on the extent of the factuality of the story are unknown - we can guess at them but concepts of history were different then to now ('history' is not a single timeless genre), so it is unclear what his attitude would have been. '"Ancient prose is generally meant to be taken literally; ancient poetry is given far more license"' is an incredibly vague rule which leaves us asking 'was it meant to be taken that way in this case?
However these questions are answered it is clearly not possible for us to take the story literally now, or rather to do so requires an absurd degree of rationalistion and ingenuity.
Glenn

--------------------

gladiator
Apprentice
# 4479

- Posted      Profile for gladiator   Email gladiator       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This question certianly has taken some twists! Well, then I hope no one minds me adding mine. Although I am sure it will be picked apart with time. Good practice for me I suppose. I am attempting to become a scientist! That doesn't always work out well with my Christian beliefs. I am a christian first, and so situations arise where I must defend my "unscientific" opinions. In all honesty though, God designed this planet so I don't see why there is so much division. Science just wants to figure out how He made it all work (with other motives too I am sure.)
Since I could go on about that, I will leave that for another time.

For now, the Flood. I think we need to forget our human way of considering it. We don't understand time in the sence that God understands time, and we can't see the whole world at one time. My argument is, I guess, the the Bible can be taken quite literally in the correct context. How did the animals get in the ark? Well, who says that all of the animals that exist today, existed then? The DNA of animals contains genes that are not always expressed and these can have mutations, all the species we have now could have originated from a more common ancestor (this is not the same as evolution, and I am not going to start an agrument about that issue, though I have found myself in that one a lot!) 1 pair of wolves could become, foxes, coyotes, wild dogs etc, just as an example. With a little (divine) direction, the animals could have been collected and taken care of, and then resitributed after the flood was over. For a time, there was in-breeding, but considering Adam and Eve populated the Earth, all God would have to do is allow the in-breed animals to survive and reproduce for a time, then when the populations were larger, discourage in-breeding within the populations.
It is also my understanding that the ark really didn't need to go anywhere, all it had to do was stay floating.
Was the flood global? Was it local? Well, my scientific experitse isn't geology (yeah, parasites really have nothing do with geology)I think the point of the flood, trying to look at things from God's perspective rather than a human one, is to wipe out the humans. Why have more of a flood then you need to have? Maybe it was world wide, but worse is some places then others? Obviously, the God who created the Earth, who understands all its inner workings (the things science attempts to figure out, but will never completely understand) could use it to teach and instruct like anything else. God understands His motivation, and how it was accomplished.
The point I am trying to make, the Flood is a significant historical event, that could have happened as stated in the Bible. It has literary value, and should, or what was God's purpose in remembering it in the Bible. But it is not just a story, and not just a myth, and I feel that it can be taken quite literally. I know there are many who don't agree. To end I will close with saying, I believe, if God wanted to do something, He would find a way to accomplish it, He is not limited by time or the people or animals he designed.

--------------------
Ischnura verticalis - Eastern Forktail (Damselfly)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016