homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Ash Wednesday/St Valentine's Day

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ash Wednesday/St Valentine's Day
Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

- Posted      Profile for Fuzzipeg   Author's homepage   Email Fuzzipeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have been told that we should celebrate the Feast of Love on the eve of St Valentine because Ash Wednesday is a fasting and abstinence day...I see the Catholic Bishops in the USA made the same comment....will it make any difference to you?

--------------------
http://foodybooze.blogspot.co.za

Posts: 929 | From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzipeg:
We have been told that we should celebrate the Feast of Love on the eve of St Valentine because Ash Wednesday is a fasting and abstinence day...I see the Catholic Bishops in the USA made the same comment....will it make any difference to you?

A big festival day on the eve of Ash Wednesday? That's so crazy it just might become incredibly popular.

Seriously, this is being billed as new idea?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might want to check out this thread on the same topic.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzipeg:

No difference in my household, because we depend on the floral industry for a portion of our income. Wife will be going to work making arrangements from as early as possible to as late as possible on Tuesday and Wednesday (we're seriously talking a few 15 hour days in a row- at least it's an overtime bonanza), and I'm on single parent duty.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in a place where Roman Catholic bishops give waivers to eat meat (and get drunk) on a Friday when it coincides with St. Patrick's Day. I see no problems with conflating St. Valentine's Day with Shrove Tuesday.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand...
quote:
Violets are blue; roses are odorous;
Happy Valentine to Cyril & Methodius.

(a bit of verse of my own composition, suitable for the season ) [Axe murder]

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At Washington State Universty one group of students will be painting hearts on everyone's cheeks. There will also be another group of students having ashes to go at the common mall. Think of it, students with hearts and ashes at the same time.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember you are dust...but awfully loveable dust"

(sent to me by a friend)

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

- Posted      Profile for Fuzzipeg   Author's homepage   Email Fuzzipeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Nick for the link...very Anglican discussion...and Easter Day is April Fools Day...

--------------------

Posts: 929 | From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be avoiding Shrove Tuesday supper (I hate pancakes) and celebrating VD on the 14th, Guatamalan restaurant.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that with penicillin?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends what one intends to abstain from for Lent as to whether it puts the dampers on any love feasting.

Resurrection Morning falling on April Fools Day? H'mmm, should lend more weight to the Easter fixed daters.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Depends what one intends to abstain from for Lent as to whether it puts the dampers on any love feasting.

Resurrection Morning falling on April Fools Day? H'mmm, should lend more weight to the Easter fixed daters.

Why? There is something sort of appropriate about it. After all God pulled off one heck of a surprise.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easter on April Fool's isn't a surprise, it would have to be a practical joke. Like: "hey fooled you! I'm not Jesus, I'm pretending to be him. Did you see how I fooled the women? LOL."

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might even work in the Church's favour, you know get people talking and so on.
'The fool has said in her/his heart, there is no God' — to quote the psalmist.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

"We've come to see the body."

"April Fool!"

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"the foolishness of the cross"

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016