homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Saints Days and moveable Feasts and Fasts

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Saints Days and moveable Feasts and Fasts
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I noticed St David isn't commemorated in the CofE Common Worship lectionary today (1st March), presumably as Ash Wednesday falls on the same date as Dydd Dewi Sant this year.

I've heard, though, that he's still commemorated today in the Church in Wales lectionary.

Can anyone tell me what the rules are when Saints' Days and what-not fall on the same date as a moveable feast or fast such as the Easter cycle?

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Church of England, St David's day is a Lesser Festival. From the Church of England's "Rules to Order the Christian Year" :

quote:
When a Lesser Festival falls on a Principal Feast or Holy Day, on a Festival, on a Sunday, or on weekdays between Palm Sunday and the Second Sunday of Easter, its celebration is normally omitted for that year
Because Ash Wednesday (a Principal Holy Day) falls on 1 March this year, St David's day is not celebrated. (It may be celebrated "at the discretion of the minister" on another available day.)

Principal Feasts displace the Sunday (except the Annunciation, as it always falls on Sundays of Lent or Easter). Festivals are transferred to the next available weekday.

Things are slightly different in the Church in Wales. The biggest difference in this context is that St David's day is more important, because he is patron of Wales. In the Church in Wales, feasts are ranked between I and V. Ash Wednesday is a Class I day; St David's day is a Class II day. (These are the approximate equivalents of Principal Holy Days and Festivals in the CofE.)

Because Ash Wednesday is a higher rank, it is kept on 1 March. Because St David's day is a Class II feast, it must also be kept. The Church in Wales's rules state that "[days] in group II which are moved may be celebrated on any convenient day before the next Sunday".

It's a bit complex, but makes decent sense in the end.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dyed Dewi Sant hapus, Gamaliel
At the Ash Wednesday service this morning, we had the collect for Ash Wednesday but also the collect for St. David's day

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RCs are the same - St David is on Tuesday in Wales and disappears in England.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well according to the 1984 BCP St.David is moved to Thursday - the same for Mathias if applicable
However we moved it to Tuesday so I think the new(ish) lectionary provides for that and I think we use the RCL

We had a said Welsh Eucharist on St.David's Day ( moved to Tuesday!) and a Choral Eucharist with Imposition of Ashes on Ash Wednesday this evening

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Diolch!

Thanks folks, that's all very helpful.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our calendar, St David remains on the 1st of March this year, alongside Ash Wednesday. But then our calendar is compiled with France rather than the British Isles in mind, so St David is a lesser commemoration and not considered of sufficient significance to warrant a transfer to ensure that he is celebrated.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016