homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Weird dreams (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Weird dreams
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I've aged, I wake up more frequently at night, and thus seem to recall my dreams more clearly. I suspect others have odd dreams that might be worth a moment of idle attention too. I've never been much of one for dream interpretation after someone told me that all flying dreams really were about sex. But seeing as this is not a flying dream, I am game for any sort of reponse! I thought I might start this because of the weirdo dream I had last night....

My dream:
I was at a dinner where we were all served rather fat penguin looking birds to eat, but they were made of vegetables. The body was a yellow squash, jacketed with an eggplant (aubergine) that had been hollowed out to make the black of penguin's shoulders and back. The head was some sort of round thing, and the beak was a carrot. I was talking to someone in the buffet line about it when the penguin started to talk and the person I was talking to turned into a veggie penguin herself.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just keep off the mind altering substances before bed time, and all will be well.

At least, that has been my experience.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dreamed I was locked in a warehouse-club (such as BJ's, Costco, Sam's Club, etc.) overnight and was scared. I didn't know how I was going to get out. I thought about it for a few minutes and then decided I had to get up to the ceiling somehow and see if there was a trapdoor leading to the roof. I turned myself into smoke and rose up off the floor and ascended the stacks of merchandise. When I got to the ceiling I was pleased to find the trapdoor. I changed back into my human form and got the trapdoor open. Once on the roof, the sheer height of the building daunted me for a few minutes. I stopped and pondered my problem, thoughtfully. Ah-ha! I turned into a kangaroo and leaped harmlessly to the ground. I wanted to get home quickly because I was tired so I stayed in my kangaroo shape and hopped home.

When I woke up from this dream I laughed and wondered WHAT the hell the dream had been about!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll let you know....

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dreams aren't any weirder than they ever were but I too wake up more often so I tend to remember more of them. What I do find disturbing is that so many are similar. I am either in the same place, or making the same journey. I can't say the same about people as apart from family and close friends I don't recognise them.

If the radio is on, it often 'merges' with my dream, which can be odd.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, wake up frequently. Lately the subject matter of my dreams has tended toward the unpleasant. Not nightmares, exactly, but situations I'd just as soon not be in.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go through phases of remembering dreams; I'll remember several on successive nights and then none for ages. They don't have the surreality of the ones being described here, but they usually have a high embarrassment factor, as they almost invariably involve people I know in very silly situations.

When I gave up smoking (about 6 years ago) I used nicotine-patches, and found myself waking up several times a night, each time remembering a different dream. This is a well-documented and logical side-effect; you have the patch on all the time, so your body's getting the nicotine even when you're asleep and wouldn't be having a cigarette.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
I dreamed I was locked in a warehouse-club (such as BJ's, Costco, Sam's Club, etc.) ... I turned myself into smoke and rose up off the floor ... I turned into a kangaroo and leaped harmlessly to the ground...

Oh what playful flexibility! If I dreamed I were stuck in a Sam's club I'd probably sigh, realize everything I need is right there, go find a movie to watch in the electronics section, make up a bed in the mattress or camping section, find food in the grocery section.

I like your dream approach to the situation better! It solves the problem creatively instead of putting up with the inconvenience.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had to go on a C-PAP machine because of sleep apnea...when I first started using the machine I began having the most vivid and complex dreams -- it's as if my brain were making up for all the missing REM time -- but now that has leveled off.

What I do find myself dreaming about very often, though, is finding new rooms in my house, or being in an enclosed shopping area like the one in Grand Central Station, or being on a city block, and discovering odd little stores or situations as I work my way along the aisle/walk. I'm sure Jungians would have a field day spelunking my dreams!

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
I've had to go on a C-PAP machine because of sleep apnea...when I first started using the machine I began having the most vivid and complex dreams -- it's as if my brain were making up for all the missing REM time -- but now that has leveled off.

What I do find myself dreaming about very often, though, is finding new rooms in my house, or being in an enclosed shopping area like the one in Grand Central Station, or being on a city block, and discovering odd little stores or situations as I work my way along the aisle/walk. I'm sure Jungians would have a field day spelunking my dreams!

Ah! Welcome to the C-PAP club. If I still considered myself Catholic, I might be a C-PAPIST!! Haw Haw. But seriously, I also have some weird dreams at times, especially if I've gone without using my C-PAP for a week or so. Oh, hell, I'm only kidding myself. I have weird dreams almost EVERY night! It's because I'm weird when I'm awake. [Biased]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very frequently in my dreams, I 'levitate' by tensing my arm muscles - with my arms by my side - and 'pushing down' with my hands. I can then move horizontally, whilst still nearly vertical - not quickly, but enough to get me out of trouble or to go somewhere I want to go. Sometimes, the levitation is to 'show off' and I just 'hover' lol.

I am usually able to remember my dreams very vividly and sometimes I can wake up and then go back and carry on with them, having gone for a 'comfort break' or carried on a conversation with the missus (which she remembers, so I know that I didn't imagine it).

Yeah, OK, I'm strange!

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently I've been aware that I've been having very strange dreams, without actually remembering what they are. It's as if, on waking, the following conversation occurs:

my subconscious: Whew. That was strange.
my conscious mind: What was?
my subconscious: Oh, nothing. [Saunters off whistling, hands in pockets]

I'd rather remember the dreams as then I could at least try and work out what the heck is going on. As it is I just have a lingering feeling of oddness.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Darkwing
Shipmate
# 16207

- Posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep a dream journal that is chock full of the bizarre stuff that comes out of my head, but one of my personal favorites was the dream in which my leg was infected with a virus that was turning my flesh into cheese. I was taking a shower and the infected area was dissolving in the hot water, and big chunks of my cheesy calves were sloughing off and falling on the shower floor until I could see my bone.

Then I woke up and scratched my leg a lot the rest of the day...

quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
If I still considered myself Catholic, I might be a C-PAPIST!!

Guh. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Science was my most favorite subject, especially the Old Testament!"
- Kenneth, 30 Rock

Posts: 161 | From: NW Oregon, USA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I periodically have a dream that I am in my thirties and that I'm still in middle school. Everyone knows its because I'm afraid of adulthood, but they write it off as, "That's just Lyda". [Roll Eyes] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a dream recently where there were evangelical Muslims. I had a view from the back of the mosque while the band up front slammed out some choons and everyone sang worship songs with 'Allah' in them instead of God. Very, very weird.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually sleep well, but the other night I had a series of stressful dreams about taxes -- rooted, no doubt, in my anxiety about getting the tax returns filed for my father's estate.

In the final dream of this series, I had apparently hired an accountant [silly because my husband is a CPA, but anyway...] and I had gone to meet with him. I drove and drove quite a distance, and when I first caught sight of the accountant, he was wearing a cowboy hat, a fleecy sheepskin vest, and had a long ponytail. I began to despair that I had placed my trust in such an odd individual, and then a weird-looking old man walked up to me and said, "You know, you shouldn't judge a person on appearances."

I woke up very poorly rested, but when I remembered this part of the dream I started laughing.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Very frequently in my dreams, I 'levitate' by tensing my arm muscles - with my arms by my side - and 'pushing down' with my hands. I can then move horizontally, whilst still nearly vertical - not quickly, but enough to get me out of trouble or to go somewhere I want to go. Sometimes, the levitation is to 'show off' and I just 'hover' lol.

I am usually able to remember my dreams very vividly and sometimes I can wake up and then go back and carry on with them, having gone for a 'comfort break' or carried on a conversation with the missus (which she remembers, so I know that I didn't imagine it).

Yeah, OK, I'm strange!

No. I can return to finish a dream too. Don't levitate much though, I don't get dreams as cool as that.

I do dream ski though. Snow has fallen on some place I know up to the roof tops, (the place varies) and I ski around, doing little jumps off the roofs. Odd thing is I have never skied, or wanted to.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night I had an SoF dream. We went out - all of us - to somewhere that was between a theatre, a craft fair, a restaurant and a muddy field. Some very funny things were said (which of course I can't recall), there was some gossip and a flounce. And then we all took the buses home.

Just like it is in reality, then.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I periodically have a dream that I am in my thirties and that I'm still in middle school. Everyone knows its because I'm afraid of adulthood, but they write it off as, "That's just Lyda". [Roll Eyes] [Hot and Hormonal]

It's years since I had a school dream, but happened to have one last night. I was sitting with three friends, desperately trying to eat our school lunch very quickly, because otherwise we would be late for hockey. I couldn't remember the route to the hockey field, but one friend said she'd get a lift in a car with a satnav (they weren't invented then), another friend said it would take 3-9 days to travel there by car (I asked if she was planning to travel to the hockey pitch via north Wales?), at which point I woke up. I haven't played hockey since I was about 15, so goodness knows where that dream came from....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wake-laughing dream was while helping at a Scripture Union girls' camp at Drumnadrochit by Loch Ness. I dreamed that Guns N Roses joined us on the team to help out and that Slash was wildly inappropriate with the campers. Hope (who got me onto the Ship) can testify that it was a funny camp.

On Saturday morning before the last night of the opera I dreamed that we had to perform in a huge hall with a stage the size of a football pitch, and we had to run everywhere to get into position for our cues. I quite enjoyed it.

Cattyish, happy dreamer.

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas I haven't really remembered a dream for about 40 years [Frown]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went on a weekend course at a building in Thanet, with a very creaky corridor and fire doors. I woke in the night, needing to go to the loo, down said corridor and through said fire door. Realising that I would wake other attenders, I floated down the corridor so as not to make the boards creak. Reaching the fire door, I further realised that, because of basic physics, I would be unable to open it while floating, so descended to the floor.
At which point I woke properly, and had to sneak down the edges of the corridor - still creaked a bit.

Penny

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

All my life I've had dreams like that. Often it's about revisiting a familiar building (such as the church I grew up in) and finding new passageways and rooms in it.

(Should I ask what the Jungians would say?)

Part of me thinks that for me, anyway, those dreams about revisiting old familiar places and finding new rooms/passageways might be about the ways in which my life and my thinking have changed and grown since I used to frequent those places. After all, a building houses your mundane activities, your living/dwelling, and your thinking too.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

I used to have dreams about returning to school as an adult. Sometimes it was just me, sometimes my whole graduating class, but there was some technicality discovered and I hadn't actually finished high school so needed to return. Well, after my 20th anniversary HS reunion (IRL), I had another of these dreams - this time, with my whole graduating class returning. We were standing in our school lobby with the principal. I stamped my foot and started yelling at the principal: "I'm in a PhD program. He already has a PhD. She has 6 kids..." and so forth, until I woke up and didn't have those dreams anymore!

As for waking up and returning to dreams, it sometimes happens to me when I'm really sleepy and don't fully wake up; but once it happened when I was having a dream about a RL experience, when I was mugged at gunpoint. The dream was changing all the details, but it had a specific resolution point, so every time I woke up and tried to stay awake (I was having a nightmare, after all), I couldn't stay awake and my dream picked up where it left off. Finally, it resolved and I woke up refreshed - and with a little insight.

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago, I tried Jungian analysis, which is very into dream interpretation. I now believe Jungian analysis is a good tool to understand literature and that's about all. This is not intended as an in-depth critique of Jungian analysis. It may very well help some, it very well may not.

I think we all want to 'understand' ourselves. That is why we tend to look at dreams, which come when our conscious minds are turned off.

How do we really 'understand' ourselves? I really don't have much idea. May I just say I wish all of you on this thread, who I believe are sincerely on the trail, that you reach our destination safely?

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:

My dream:
I was at a dinner where we were all served rather fat penguin looking birds to eat, but they were made of vegetables. The body was a yellow squash, jacketed with an eggplant (aubergine) that had been hollowed out to make the black of penguin's shoulders and back. The head was some sort of round thing, and the beak was a carrot. I was talking to someone in the buffet line about it when the penguin started to talk and the person I was talking to turned into a veggie penguin herself.

Obviously God is trying to tell you you should become a vegetarian no_prophet. [Biased]

I dream so much I've come to the conclusion I live in an alternative reality when I sleep.

Seriously.

All this talk of ten dimensions, parallel universes and all that jazz in quantum physics? No reason why we couldn't be existing somewhere else at the same time.

The weirdest dream for me is a recurring nightmare.

Moved to Australia 1992. The dream started then.

Hasn't stopped.

Usually happens once a month or two. Wake up shouting. Scare the hell out of my husband.

Weird shit indeed.

Even weirder? My husband has gotten so used to it that he usually knows when I'm going to start shouting and prepares himself in his sleep.

So when I actually do it he doesn't have a cardiac arrest.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another dream I've had on a recurring basis, since I was probably about 6 years old:

I first had it when travelling over the mountains to the west coast. This used to be a much more adventurous travel that it is today. The dream involves eating chicken noodle soup, falling asleep, waking up in a B.C. rain forest (the trees are perhaps up to 20 feet in diameter) and there are ravens cawing, and I realize they are talking to each other about the power line that runs along the road. I didn't exactly understand raven talk, but I knew for certain what they were on about. I have this dream several times per year. It sometimes involves flying with the ravens or at least over to them. Sometimes it seems to focus more on the chicken noodle soup than the ravens.

I do have some dreams where I am delivering violence to others. They are people who were violent to me, and the intent is quite obvious. I harbour feelings about their actions and the harm they created. Some recent life events have made them emerge more strongly, unfortunately. The chicken noodle soup dream is entirely a gentle counterpoint. It might actually be my mind serving me up something in the face of the more troubled dreams (?) One wonders.

[ 21. April 2012, 15:48: Message edited by: no_prophet ]

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
Another dream I've had on a recurring basis, since I was probably about 6 years old:

I first had it when travelling over the mountains to the west coast. This used to be a much more adventurous travel that it is today. The dream involves eating chicken noodle soup, falling asleep, waking up in a B.C. rain forest (the trees are perhaps up to 20 feet in diameter) and there are ravens cawing, and I realize they are talking to each other about the power line that runs along the road. I didn't exactly understand raven talk, but I knew for certain what they were on about. I have this dream several times per year. It sometimes involves flying with the ravens or at least over to them. Sometimes it seems to focus more on the chicken noodle soup than the ravens.

I do have some dreams where I am delivering violence to others. They are people who were violent to me, and the intent is quite obvious. I harbour feelings about their actions and the harm they created. Some recent life events have made them emerge more strongly, unfortunately. The chicken noodle soup dream is entirely a gentle counterpoint. It might actually be my mind serving me up something in the face of the more troubled dreams (?) One wonders.

Is this how authors are made???? Just a thought.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A recurring dream (for many years) is of some public event or gathering -- not always the same -- at which I am completely nude.
When I finally mentioned this to a psychological counsellor, he questioned me closely about the dreams, disclosing that a common thread was that in the dreams I was unconcerned about my condition. His conclusion: that I was incredibly self-confident in most situations, (this proved helpful, naturally) and that I should not worry about the dreams (also helpful).
Now many years later, I still have the dream from time to time, but less regularly than before.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May all your dreams come true, except the one where you end up naked in church.

Saw this painted on the side of a camper van the other day.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I envy people who remember their dreams a lot. I hardly ever do. In fact, I can't remember the last time I woke up remembering a dream - it must be several months at least.

I'd love to be able to remember my dreams (even the weird ones). Are there any techniques that might help?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

I'd love to be able to remember my dreams (even the weird ones). Are there any techniques that might help?

REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep is associated with dreaming, so the trick is to wake during one of these periods. They are more extended towards morning, so it might be an idea to vary your normal waking time.

Dreams are also quite fugitive, so immediately thinking about and rehearsing anything you recall as you wake is important. If you attention goes directly on waking to your conscious life then the unconscious stuff disappears very quickly.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Dreams are also quite fugitive, so immediately thinking about and rehearsing anything you recall as you wake is important. If you attention goes directly on waking to your conscious life then the unconscious stuff disappears very quickly.

That could account for it. My mind tends to go from fast asleep to full speed in seconds. (Meanwhile my body is going, "Oh for pete's sake, it's still half an hour till the alarm goes off...".)

If anyone asks me to recall a dream, it's still one I had about 25 years ago. I was in amateur acting at the time. About a week before a play was due to open, I dreamed vividly that I was arriving home from work. I knew I just had time to have a snack, shower, and get to the theatre. But when I opened my front door, I discovered all the scenery and props for the play in my living room. I did the only sensible thing there is to do in a dream, which was to pick it up piece by piece and run with it to the theatre - where, naturally, everybody else was oblivious to the crisis. The panic with which I awoke quickly and mercifully turned into giggles at how ridiculous it all was.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes dream that I'm back at the university but at my present age; that it's the first day of classes, or perhaps final exam week, but I've lost my schedule and can't remember the names or halls or even registering for the classes. I don't think I need a psychology degree to figure out that message from my anxious psyche.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I woke from an unusual nightmare in which I was being chased by an evil clown in a clown car. The car had one of those clown horns which made a "parp-parp" sound. In the nightmare I ended up fleeing to my house, but the evil clown was circling round the outside with his "parp-parp" horn. I woke up terrified and realised I was too scared to open the bedroom curtains in case he was out there, with his vivid clown face pressed against the glass, peering in.

I'd never knowingly had any dream like this before.

Turned out my son had changed the tone on his mobile phone so that it went "parp-parp" when he had an incoming text, and he'd accidentally left his mobile in my bedroom....

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I sometimes dream that I'm back at the university but at my present age; that it's the first day of classes, or perhaps final exam week, but I've lost my schedule and can't remember the names or halls or even registering for the classes.

I have a similar recurring dream in that I suddenly discover that I've been forgetting to go to a particular class -- have not been there in months. Or that I'm several points short of qualifying for my degree, and can't decide whether to take the necessary courses to earn the credits or just forget about the whole thing.
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
A recurring dream (for many years) is of some public event or gathering -- not always the same -- at which I am completely nude.

Me too.

Interesting how people tend to dream the same subject matter.

Other recurring dreams of mine:

I'm on a train or subway that I take frequently, but this time there's something different or strange about the route.

I'm performing in a play, but there's one scene we haven't rehearsed in a long time and I'm sure I don't know my lines.

I'm back at work again, and I've been told that my position will be terminated. However, they're keeping me on indefinitely, and I keep hoping that either they've forgotten about the termination or that it's been rescinded.

I'm a kid again back at home, and my father behaves very cruelly toward me (in real life he never did this).

I also dream that I'm in various situations that ordinarily give me pleasure, except this time I'm unable to derive any pleasure from the situation. (I keep hoping that when I have this dream, I can learn to control the situation so that I do derive pleasure from it. But so far I've been unable to.)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I envy people who remember their dreams a lot. I hardly ever do. In fact, I can't remember the last time I woke up remembering a dream - it must be several months at least.

"Intermittent insomnia", meaning waking during the night to a level of consciousness where you can think like you would when waking. It is a curse to some of us, such that I put calm symphonic music on an internet radio to a pillow earphone-speaker and try to meditate as I fall asleep on the same repetitive thoughts, which are cliché things: small waterfall, trees and flowers.

Thus, put a pen and paper beside the bed, or electronical-confuserish iPen-iPaper-iRecorder-iThing if you have it, and see if you can muster up some consciousness when you come close to the surface of sleep at night. Coherence of the iNotes can also be an issue, as can a recording of your voice telling yourself about your iDream.

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually have horrendous nightmares so I tend to avoid going to sleep. But last night I was exhausted and fell asleep. Instead of my usual nightmares I had this very odd dream that I was a member of the French Foreign Legion on manouvres in Africa somewhere. Most strange.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Last night I dreamed that I went on some junket with my former coworkers; I was to take the plane with them, and my partner was going to drive to the destination and meet me there. No, I don't know what that was about. Anyway, I dreamed that my erstwhile good work pals kind of ignored me at the airport, didn't give me the flight info, let me get separated from them...and pretty soon I realized that our flight was boarding, and I had to run as fast as I could, baggage in hand, to the boarding area. The person there was about to check my baggage and let me on the plane when suddenly another airport worker came running up with a little girl in a wheelchair and said, "This is an emergency; this child needs to be on this flight," so I got bumped from the flight. Then I couldn't find my cell phone to call my partner; I finally did find it; the power was rapidly ebbing away, but I was able to reach her and was tearily gulping my tale of woe to her when I awoke.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a strange one last night. There was a black couple hiding from...someone. They were living in a beautiful home underground.

They got old there, and after they were finally able to move about above ground, they would go home in the evening.

I was helping the lady down the stairs (she was quite elderly by this time) and I was outraged that the stairs had risers that were about twelve inches tall. I was looking down, trying to keep my footing and helping her, and trying to figure out how to put in a new staircase when I woke up.

Very strange.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Okay, so I'm, definitely going to be considered insane after this one.

A former boss from nearly 20 years ago is at a meeting with a number of people including myself. Not sure what it is about. I can somehow see that he has a forked penis. Just like a a snake's tongue but it is definitely a penis. I mention that he has a forked penis, and he says he doesn't and blushes. I seem to have control of the conversation and he seems to become less and less dominant. The meeting seems to disappear, and then I hit him with a 2 by 4 piece of lumber over the head, and the dream seems to melt into something purple and I woke up. I must have disliked him rather intensely. I wonder how many bosses may have forked penises with which to screw over employees.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds eminently sane and applicable to real life!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:

I'd rather remember the dreams as then I could at least try and work out what the heck is going on. As it is I just have a lingering feeling of oddness.

When I was ~ 17, I awoke with the knowledge that I wouldn't live to see morning. I was entirely at peace with this, though I did debate waking my parents to inform them. I decided to let them rest, as there was nothing they could do to change my impending demise. So I went back to sleep.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's worth remembering that dreams function as a rebus: images represent ideas, and there is a lot of punning. no_prophet's dream is a good example - 'forked' is associated with deceit (forked tongue): it is also a near-homophone for 'fucked', so yes it is about bosses screwing you. And while it relates to a past figure/situation, it's always worth reviewing what they could 'stand for' in the present, and what needs to be struck down. And why purple?
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Large buildings tend to feature for me - impossibly grand stately homes, highly futuristic skyscrapers (where the lifts for some reason are always on outside). I've logged these as recurring once or twice a year for I don't know how long, and very often I know that they're somewhere I have actually visited, like a former home or school.

A 30 year old dream that still makes me smile is of trying to explain something to my grandmother, who was being very slow on the uptake. In real life she could have a very piercing, shrill voice, and when she finally what I was saying she started going "OH yes ... OH yes ..."

Then I woke to the sound of a couple of cats on the lawn making little baby cats, with very similar sound effects.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dreamt last night (or rather this morning, as I woke from the dream/nightmare at about 3.30) that I was with a friend (?), someone who I had always wanted to know, but who left college before I arrived, and under inauspicious circumstances. We were in her father's house (a priest), which had a circular atrium, off which the rooms came. There was a clothes dryer in one of the rooms (my friend's bedroom?) where we had left a candle alight while we went to the kitchen to get something to eat. It wasn't long before I noticed the flames and commented to her - she said don't worry about it, and we walked out of the house. But I couldn't let it go so casually, as I could see the flames had now reached the study where all her dad's books were. So I cried out for someone to ring the fire department... Walked a little way away from the house, and came back some time later to see people (who lived on other floors?) coughing and sputtering, and a pile of smouldering timber/remains in the middle of the courtyard. I felt so guilty and that these people's lives were in my hands and I had waited too long before calling for help - and how was I going to live with the responsibility for the rest of my life?
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc, this seems like a con-evo dream; like Nero, you are fiddling while America burns with Democrats in the White House; also, you do not assist your friends to avoid hell's fire by urging them to the altar rail to be saved.
Or not.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
And why purple?

Purple in my mind is contrast between red and blue. Red being assertive and blue acquiescent.

The rest of the dream? I'm reflecting some past long ago occurrences that possibly were jogged in my brain by recent things. Not really very deep in that sense.

I take dreams myself as bits of nonsense, possibly and not always additionally symbolic. The symbolic nature of some of them? Dunno. After I posted, I pulled a book "The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman" (Louis de Bernières) from my shelf and he has the image of my dream there.

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

I've been having really weird dreams lately. Not sure if they'd interest anyone else, though.

One the other night featured the farm I grew up on. I dreamed I was visiting it (it's since become a subdivision) and noticed that the bit of woods that used to come up behind my grandparents' house was framed by really tall, old columns as if from a Roman temple or something. They were blended in with the trees, and once you entered, there was no ceiling or anything. In the dream, I recognized the old ruins and marveled at how I had forgotten about them. Since, IRL, I'm studying ruins, in my dream I commented, "No wonder I'm interested in ruins!"

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I'd agree that most dreams, most of the time, are a jumble of impressions, memories and vague meanderings. But then so is most mental activity in waking life. But buried in there is an occasionally illuminating, sometimes poetic voice.

But it requires application to tease out the insights, and while last night's dream of the female German train driver who'd written a play in the form of partially-corroded metal grid doubtless means something to me, I doubt I'll make the effort to find out what.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016