homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 'Who is bigger, Jesus or God?'

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 'Who is bigger, Jesus or God?'
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone suggest an answer comprehensible to my 5-year-old grandson?

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tell him that God is so big that Jesus is God made little so we can see him.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My non-believer's response here is probably not one you will welcome, but a child who comes up with a question like that has already heard and picked up a lot about the subject, so may I suggest that perhaps this would be a good time to mention something like:
Well, some people believe that God is everywhere in the universe, some think he is very much attached to our planet Earth and its people and many others don't believe in god at all, or believe in all sorts of other gods.

'Bigger' in the context of the OP would seem to indicate 'more important'? Obviously, the child requires only a simple response at present, but it will be interesting to see how the discussions develop and change over the years.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither! God is Jesus and Jesus is God.
At the risk of monstrous heresy (always a risk when trying to explain difficult things simply!) I would be tempted to try and explain a little bit about the Trinity and that the three persona are still one God; they act in different ways but are the same God.
When I go out to work, I'm Dad with one job, when I was the car I'm Dad the car washer, and when I go home and play with the children I'm still Dad and still the same size!

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Nice.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Jesus is a rather tall guy with shoulder-length hair and an Anglo-Saxon nose. God is an old, slightly fat bearded man who sits on top of a cloud.

The answer seems simple.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Mudfrog on this one. Incarnation with a side order of kenosis - you can't beat it.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye Arch Anglo Catholic, not JUST a modalist but you are a car too!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, put it this way, if there was a fight between Jesus and God, God would win because he has the advantage of being in several places at once.

But then it might be a points decision, based on that time when God had that controversial win against Jacob when God delivered a low, winning, blow.

Jesus is slippery and can't be held down, but God is bigger and harder and meaner. My money is still on God, I think.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arch Anglo Catholic:
Neither! God is Jesus and Jesus is God.
At the risk of monstrous heresy (always a risk when trying to explain difficult things simply!) I would be tempted to try and explain a little bit about the Trinity and that the three persona are still one God; they act in different ways but are the same God.

While you're at it explain that Jesus is not the Father, Jesus is not the Holy Spirit and the Father is not the Holy Spirit.

Confused yet? A five year old would be.

For a five year old I think what Mudfrog said is brilliant. For everyone else it's more complicated than that.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
My non-believer's response here is probably not one you will welcome, but a child who comes up with a question like that has already heard and picked up a lot about the subject, so may I suggest that perhaps this would be a good time to mention something like:
Well, some people believe that God is everywhere in the universe, some think he is very much attached to our planet Earth and its people and many others don't believe in god at all, or believe in all sorts of other gods.

While I would imagine that many if not most children who are interested in religion these days are already aware that different people believe different things. My daughter is a year younger than the child mentioned here, but she has been exposed to Islam and Judaism that I know of, and I have mentioned that some people don't believe in God too.

Re Jesus and God, Mudfrog I think you killed this thread! (By posting the right answer) [Smile]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! I'm glad I got something right eventually [Biased]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my experience this question never comes up because the children are taught that Jesus is God come to earth.

I like Mudfrog's answer.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry for trying to make a bit of fun earlier, I like Mudfrog's answer too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the child actually want a theological answer? What you do is figure out a bit what the child really wants to know, figure out what you might clarify, and probably get out a book or the crayons. I'd start out with a "what do you think?" and go from there.

Not strictly comparable, but I'm reminded of the child who asked about "vagina", got a rather detailed explanation, looked more and more puzzled, and then said "but we have cousins in Vagina and there's a mall there." (meant Regina, Saskatchewan) It is really a good idea to understand what the child is really talking about!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a brilliant metaphor.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one, Mudfrog. You've earned your stripes. One of the best posts I've read for a long time.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kid's ask curious questions and often just need a simple answer - they don't need deep theological argument. My young grandson(5) asked me how God cuts His toenails. My answer was 'the angels do it for Him'. This was a pefectly acceptable answer for him. He is forever coming up with questions eg 'does God like eating spinach (child hates spinach). If he doesn't then why did he make it? Do I have to eat it if God doesn't like eating it?' etc. [good try kid]

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you recite the Quicunque Vult to the lad, that'll teach him to ask such daft questions in the first place. [Devil]
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hm, can't see Ben and Karen being impressed with that one.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Posts: 373 | From: Derby, UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
He is forever coming up with questions eg 'does God like eating spinach (child hates spinach). If he doesn't then why did he make it? Do I have to eat it if God doesn't like eating it?' etc. [good try kid]

God made all the fruit and vegetables and said they were good*. If God said they are good you have to eat them.

(* Except for peaches, God says they are horrible.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The reply I gave, thinking quickly, was 'When he was grown up, Jesus was the same size as God.'

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grokesx:
Hm, can't see Ben and Karen being impressed with that one.

Heh, I bet Karen would have ripped apart Mudfrog (if he'd said this) in about a second.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Nice one, Mudfrog. You've earned your stripes. One of the best posts I've read for a long time.

Hear hear! The lad is only 5!

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016