homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Combining Palm Sunday and Holy Week start

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Combining Palm Sunday and Holy Week start
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday (Palm Sunday) our parish did an unusual twist to the awkward blending of these two themes that I found very commendable.

The procession (All Glory Laud and Honor)into the church building from an introductory brief hymn and prayer in the parish hall has been a regular part of the service. The service was abbreviated by only one OT reading and a brief sermon.

Following the end of the Communion the Gospel reading of Jesus' trial and crucifixion with several readers taking part was then read. The priest announced, "Our Holy Week observance has begun." response: "Thanks be to God", The congregation proceeded out in silence.

Has any shipmate done something similar?

Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose Holy Week really starts at Saturday Evening Prayer the day before Palm Sunday. Therefore the bitter-sweet nature of Palm Sunday (called by some also The Sunday of the Passion) is an intregal part of Holy Week.

In the church I attended there was the Gospel of the Palms and procession to All Glory Laud and Honour. The gospel reading at the eucharist following the procession was the full Passion Narrative (Luke). There was no sermon as the liturgy was quite lengthy, and the cleric introducing the service explained that the service itself, and the magnificent gospel readings, were so dramatic and a sermon in themselves, after which any human construct would be an anti-climax.

The colour was red.

Other Hymns included

Ride on Ride on in Majesty

Who is this with Garments Gory?

O Sacred Head Surrounded

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
Yesterday (Palm Sunday) our parish did an unusual twist to the awkward blending of these two themes that I found very commendable.

Has any shipmate done something similar?

Yes. As Nonconformists (albeit fairly traditional ones) we are not bound by any specific liturgy or lectionary and so can shape the service as we like.

The problem is that many folk only come to church on Sundays, so there would be a danger of jumping straight from Palm Sunday to the Resurrection. On the other hand I feel that to focus all (or most of) the Palm Sunday service on the Passion narrative is "getting ahead of oneself" and diminishes the story of the Entry into Jerusalem.

So I like the idea of starting the Palm Sunday service joyfully, then moving into the Passion later in the service.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church finished the service with the hymn "Ride on, ride on in majesty". All very Palm Sunday-ish, but the amusing thing was the note that follows the hymn in the NEH: "the theme of the Eucharist is that of the Passion" (or very similar words). For me, this approach is the better one. The great drama of the day is the transition from "Hosanna" to "Crucify".

To have the entire service about the entry into Jerusalem, with the entire church bedecked with palms, is wrong, in my view.

The version noted by the OP, with the Passion story coming after communion, is an improvement in some ways but it does disrupt the essential shape of the Eucharist. I would also suggest that it still gives too much prominence to the entry.

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am entirely out of step here.

I devoted Palm Sunday to the Palm Sunday story. The Passion element was introduced in the final hymn "My song is love unknown".

Palm Sunday celebrates Jesus' entry as King following Zechariah's prophecy which I believe Jesus deliberately enacted.

I know that Christ the King is celebrated much later in the year but Palm Sunday is an excellent opportunity to develop the nature of His kingship.

So I make no apologies. We shall deal with the Last Supper on Thursday; the Crucifixion on Friday and Resurrection on Sunday. Seems entirely right and logical to me.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make no criticism of those from traditions other than my own, but I get irritated by fellow-Anglicans who seem incapable of using the liturgy we are given and perpetually re-inventing the wheel. Whether it is making unilateral changes to the lectionary, re-writing eucharistic prayers, or deciding that the Sunday before Easter (aka Palm, aka Passion) ought to be about one thing or the other, not both. If you are being loyal to the BCP (1662) tradition it's the palms that get sidelined; the more ancient tradition, revived in Common Worship, is that the hosannas give way to 'Crucify'. So it's both/and, or at least, the Passion with a nod to the triumphal entry. Not happy-clappy flag-waving at the expense of the cross.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I make no criticism of those from traditions other than my own, but I get irritated by fellow-Anglicans who seem incapable of using the liturgy we are given and perpetually re-inventing the wheel. Whether it is making unilateral changes to the lectionary, re-writing eucharistic prayers, or deciding that the Sunday before Easter (aka Palm, aka Passion) ought to be about one thing or the other, not both. If you are being loyal to the BCP (1662) tradition it's the palms that get sidelined; the more ancient tradition, revived in Common Worship, is that the hosannas give way to 'Crucify'. So it's both/and, or at least, the Passion with a nod to the triumphal entry. Not happy-clappy flag-waving at the expense of the cross.

Thank you!

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:

I devoted Palm Sunday to the Palm Sunday story. The Passion element was introduced in the final hymn "My song is love unknown".

Palm Sunday celebrates Jesus' entry as King following Zechariah's prophecy which I believe Jesus deliberately enacted.

I know that Christ the King is celebrated much later in the year but Palm Sunday is an excellent opportunity to develop the nature of His kingship.

So I make no apologies. We shall deal with the Last Supper on Thursday; the Crucifixion on Friday and Resurrection on Sunday. Seems entirely right and logical to me.

As I said on another Palm Sunday thread: To concentrate on the Palm theme and omit the Passion is to be a 'happy clappy' service which seeks to avoid the cost of following this man on a donkey.

The palm liturgy, followed by the passion liturgy, is an ancient at the 4th century when a Spanish nun called Egeria witnessed it in Jerusalem.

All the holy Week liturgies proclaim the whole story but with different emphases - so even the stark Good Friday liturgy mentions the resurrection during the veneration of the cross.

To quote myself in a session I often do as an introduction to Holy Week: Amongst the themes this service may stimulate are the welcoming of Christ into our lives yet the surprising turn of events the journey of faith can experience, the way humans have of welcoming charismatic people and then rejecting them and their demands, the way people can be popular, before they had to make tough decisions at work and make enemies. It can have a green dimension: the triumphal entry into Jerusalem can mark the rise of a popular movement for recycling, for supporting Greenpeace. The cleansing of the temple can mark the growing realisation that personal acts of recycling are not enough; global capitalism and market forces need to be tackled. The cleansing of the temple can also represent the cleansing and purging of one's own mind of mixed motives.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shamri posted
quote:

I am out of step with you. It has always seems strange to me to do the Passion readings on Palm Sunday and then again on Good Friday. I would like it your way better.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But they are DIFFERENT Passsion readings. Matthew, Mark or Luke for Sunday, John for Friday.

And if you are Anglican, the default BCP readings are:

Sunday: Matthew (and no mention of palms)
Monday/Tuesday: Mark
Wednesday/Thursday Luke
Friday: John

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my parish we started with the Palm procession and associated Gospel then through to the Passion Gospel . Enter with "Ride On" Exit in silence .It worked [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo (quote)

"As I said on another Palm Sunday thread: To concentrate on the Palm theme and omit the Passion is to be a 'happy clappy' service which seeks to avoid the cost of following this man on a donkey."

Bollocks. There was nothing happy clappy about the service.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have conducted Passion rites, following the British Lent Holy Week and Easter format, since the late '80s. It's not perfect, but one way around the disconnect that I have found to be useful is seeing the Liturgy of the Palms as a reenactment of human failure, a representation of the human propensity to look for the Christ in the neon-lit histrionics rather than the ugliness of suffering. I like Shamwari's model, above, for I think that too underscores this radical re-orientation or recalibration during the first (or second if the previous Evening Prayer is included) liturgy of our Holiest of weeks.

This week I haven't been able to engage as I had to fly to a remote community 1000 kms away to bury a young boy who joined the statistically frightening ranks of Indigenous suicides. That too in a sense took me into a pace of darkness and suffering, but the change of pace has been difficult. The ritual wailing of the community will reverberate in my ears (at least) until I (or actually Kuruman) whisper-sings the words of exultet on Sunday pre-dawn

It's a tough week in our home for a whole lot of reasons.

[ 25. March 2013, 20:35: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our noon Mass generally ends with a fairly flamboyant organ voluntary, which always is greeted by applause. Yesterday, the congregation and choir sang a single verse of "O Sacred Head Surrounded" and then quietly left.
Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I make no criticism of those from traditions other than my own, but I get irritated by fellow-Anglicans who seem incapable of using the liturgy we are given and perpetually re-inventing the wheel. Whether it is making unilateral changes to the lectionary, re-writing eucharistic prayers, or deciding that the Sunday before Easter (aka Palm, aka Passion) ought to be about one thing or the other, not both.

Hear, hear.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
But they are DIFFERENT Passsion readings. Matthew, Mark or Luke for Sunday, John for Friday.

And if you are Anglican, the default BCP readings are:

Sunday: Matthew (and no mention of palms)
Monday/Tuesday: Mark
Wednesday/Thursday Luke
Friday: John

But not in Comic Worship or the Roman Missal. (Or probably the Methodist Worship Book as a click on Shamwari's profile indicates that he is a Methodist and therefore not likely to be using the BCP.) My own preference would be for A CW Eucharist with Palm Gospel and Blessing of Palms, Stop traffic with procession singing All Glory Laud and Honour (or We Have A King Who Rides On A Donkey [Biased] ), Arrive in church, lose Donkey, Collect, Passion Gospel and on with the Mass. But it's hardly beyond the wit of humankind to imagine a pattern that starts from the comparative high point of Palm Sunday and moves through the week to the horrors of Good Friday. It works as a narrative, which is what we are telling here, are we not?

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For once, we didn't have the Passion Narrative. Instead, there was a play about the Donkey.

Well, it made a change.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well we traditionally hold our annual parochial church meeting (a.g.m.) straight after our Palm Sunday communion service at which we have had a procession, palms and dramatic gospel reading of the Passion. Non of your leaving in silence for us. Talk about from the sublime to the ridiculous. It's straight into electing wardens and receiving the accounts!
Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

- Posted      Profile for angelicum   Email angelicum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't the title of the Feast we celebrate (now) called "Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord" in the Roman Missal, and in the RCL it's called "Sunday of the Passion: Palm Sunday"?

The introductory address by the celebrant in the Roman Missal explains the dual nature of this feast clearly:

"Today we gather together to herald with the whole Church the beginning of the celebration of our Lord’s Paschal Mystery, that is to say, of his Passion and Resurrection. For it was to accomplish this mystery that he entered his own city of Jerusalem."

It seems a Western Christian phenomenon that we restrict ourselves to celebrating just one aspect of an event in salvation history on a particular feast - perhaps due in part to the current practice of transferring feasts.

The ancient liturgies of the Church saw no such compulsion - even today, the Eastern churches are able to layer and celebrate multiple events in salvation history at a single liturgy. I'm thinking here of the Eastern practice of celebrating a Divine Liturgy for Annunciation even if it also happens to fall on Good Friday.

Posts: 364 | From: Full in the panting heart | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
But it's hardly beyond the wit of humankind to imagine a pattern that starts from the comparative high point of Palm Sunday and moves through the week to the horrors of Good Friday. It works as a narrative, which is what we are telling here, are we not?

Well, in an ideal world, perhaps. But I have yet to discover a church where the same congregation, in the same numbers, gathers daily in Holy Week. Indeed, on Good Friday it's often the case that generally faithful and regular worshippers fail to show up. And in Britain we haven't got the excuse that Good Friday is a working day.
In any case, Holy Week is not a re-enactment of historical events, it's a participation in the Mystery. That is more subtle than a chronological re-telling allows.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following the 1950's reform of the Holy Week liturgies, my parish used red vestments for the blessing of the palms and procession, and then switched to violet for the Mass, which included the passion narrative from Luke. Yes, the switch requires a bit of ingenuity, but it does underscore the change of mood between the triumphal entry and the crucifixion.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone was telling me that he had experienced this and I was confused, because it seems odd to revert to purple for the Mass when to me the switch to red is about the passion, marking a move from Lent.* Though given we still talk about Lent 5 as Passion Sunday, there would be a case for going red then surely?

Carys

*Actually he got confused at this point as I said something about 'passion red', but he heard 'passion read' and wondered what the reading of the passion Gospel had to do with the colour!

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TEC's 1979 heavy emphasis on Palm Sunday being Passion Sunday weakens this time of year. The 1928 called the Sunday before Palm Sunday "Passion Sunday" and the current provisions in the CofE call Lent 5 onward Passiontide.

This is a great pastoral and liturgical provision. Also, Advent and Easter are similarly divided.

There are different prefaces and other propers which enrich this time of year. Ash Wednesday to Saturday of Lent 4 are introspective, The last two weeks are all about Jesus.

At one time, TEC people knew the hymns of the passion. By, for all practical purposes limiting them to Palm Sunday, the great hymns of the Passion have been forgotten. In my neck of the woods, it's hard to find any musician who is familiar with anything other than 79/82, so the glories of Sing my tongue, The Royal Banners, Ah, Holy Jesus, etc. go unsung and there is no chance to sing them.

Xmas gets 12 days. Lent has many almost unsinkable hymns, Passiontide is unknown in MOTR TEC anymore.

I think it would be great to extent Passiontide back a week, and let Palm Sunday be the start of Holy Week, but the 2nd Sunday of Passiontide.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Holy Week is not a re-enactment of historical events, it's a participation in the Mystery. That is more subtle than a chronological re-telling allows.

Indeed.
quote:
"Unitive" piety approaches the Easter mystery as a single and wholesome affair in which the faithful gather to celebrate the death and resurrection in one liturgy, through the night. …….there is no need to "histori¬cize" but rather in light, word, water, and bread and wine, to pass from death to life with Christ....there is no "re-enactment" of the events lead¬ing up to the crucifixion, nor the crucifixion itself. There are various "rememorative" services in the preceding days of the "Great Week," but no one acts parts in the play. The liturgy is allowed to find its own ambience through context of scripture reading, geographical association, and continuity. Finally, on Palm Sunday, the faithful walk down the Mount of Olives, but there is no donkey.”
Jerusalem Revisited: The Liturgical Meaning of Holy Week – K. Stevenson (Pastoral Press) 1988 p. 9

quote:
For those of us who are tempted to look somewhat episodically at the central events of salvation, here is one more reminder that we are not watching a television series, but growing into a great and wonderful mystery
ibid p. 37

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Leo (quote)

"As I said on another Palm Sunday thread: To concentrate on the Palm theme and omit the Passion is to be a 'happy clappy' service which seeks to avoid the cost of following this man on a donkey."

Bollocks. There was nothing happy clappy about the service.

Maybe not in the charismatic sense. But what's the point of a palm cross without the real cross?

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quam Dilecta:
Following the 1950's reform of the Holy Week liturgies, my parish used red vestments for the blessing of the palms and procession, and then switched to violet for the Mass, which included the passion narrative from Luke. Yes, the switch requires a bit of ingenuity, but it does underscore the change of mood between the triumphal entry and the crucifixion.

St Matthew for us, but otherwise, that's also what we did.

With regard to red or violet, I prefer the old Missal's color scheme myself. So Palm Sunday begins in red and ends in violet, Maundy Thursday will be white with violet for the stripping of the altar, Good Friday will be black, and Holy Saturday will be violet changing to white.

--------------------

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we do the Palm liturgy before the Eucharist proper with its Gospel, then the Communion service with the Passion from St Matthew. I prefer to use a dark red set of vestments for Passiontide. The hymns move from the Palm Sunday favourites - All Glory, Laud, and Honour and Ride one, ride on in majesty - to more Passiontide fare - When I survey the wondrous cross, and Glory be to Jesus. It is a bit rough and ready but it works.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Something that struck me yesterday when watching a TV programme about art in the Low Countries: In Van Eyck’s Ghent altarpiece, people entering heaven carry palms but they cannot get in without passing through the death of Christ.

So the symbolism of carrying palms and processing into the symbolic Jerusalem is not complete without the passion.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whether it is making unilateral changes to the lectionary, re-writing eucharistic prayers, or deciding that the Sunday before Easter (aka Palm, aka Passion) ought to be about one thing or the other, not both.

The priest at a church I used so sing in decided once that the Evensong of Palm Sunday should be about remembering those who have died, and therefore relatives of people who had died recently were invited to church and names were read out. I muttered "that should happen in November". Still, we had more people than normal and they seemed to like it. But still.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been thinking about this for weeks, now. My current line of thinking is thus:

Lent 5 / Palm Sunday (Passiontide beginning immediately thereafer)
Lent 6 / Passion Sunday (Matthew, Mark, or Luke)

Of course this is purely hypothetical, in the event that the Lectionary Lairds allow me unchecked dominion in a future ecumenical lectionary.

[ 13. April 2013, 18:13: Message edited by: Olaf ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Passion Sunday (Lent 5) has been moved to overlap with Palm Sunday (Lent 6) since I used to be a churchgoer. Another good reason.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We uncombined them this year. It seemed to work. Everyone - well all of the few who notices such things - still calls the Sunday before Palm Sunday "Passion Sunday" anyway.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by agingjb:
So Passion Sunday (Lent 5) has been moved to overlap with Palm Sunday (Lent 6) since I used to be a churchgoer. Another good reason.

Not really. Lent V is called "Passion Sunday" because it's the beginning of Passiontide. I am not familiar with any Christian tradition in which the Passion narratives were read before Lent VI.

--------------------

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I get the impression that Lent 5 is no longer called "Passion Sunday", and that that name has been transferred as a secondary name to Lent 6 - (still "Palm Sunday").

But what do I know? I was thrown out of the CofE 33 years ago (for divorce and remarriage - our stable and exclusive marriage of a third of of century being, of course, regarded as "living in sin").

That was irrelevant. Sorry. But my attachment, now detachment, is to a 1662 order of service - not that the BCP uses the labels "Passion", "Palm" (or "Low").

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016