homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Films for Discussion

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Films for Discussion
Joshua Bell
Apprentice
# 16323

- Posted      Profile for Joshua Bell   Author's homepage   Email Joshua Bell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church are looking to hold a film-plus-discussion evening. Can anyone suggest any films we might use?

Thanks!

--------------------
[Clarification: I am coming from the perspective of a member of the CofE.]

twitter.com/joshuacampana

Posts: 34 | From: Derbyshire and/or Hampshire, UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends what you want to discuss really, but I would be inclined to suggest deconstructing The Pursuit of Happyness.

Questions

Ethics of career advancement vs your child's needs ?
Who is the 'good' parent ?
Ethics of unpaid internships ?
What message does the film give about greed ?
What does it imply about poverty ?
Ethics of patronage ?

Etc.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A similar conversation came up in January. See the Google cache of that discussion.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink's got a great idea there. You could do that with just about any movie. I'm really, really in favor of getting people to question what they're ingesting in the media.

That raises the question, though - what sort of discussion are you looking for? Do you anticipate that there will be lots of people (whatever that means for your church), and so less in-depth discussion, or will the group be fairly small? Do you want to have a potentially disquieting discussion, or more along the lines of something comforting/assuring?

Also, so much depends on what background your church represents. To show, for example, Jesus Christ Superstar at a liberal Episcopal/Anglican church will be very different to showing it to a conservative Evangelical group, even though the film might challenge both groups (just in different ways, I'd imagine).

The average age you expect among attendees obviously makes a difference, too - not just in terms of what films they'll tend to like, but in terms of how they read film in the first place.

You probably know all that, but it could help with recommendations if you care to share any info like that with us!

And churches should do this sort of thing more often, I think. I hope you have a great event!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if you're going to do "JC Superstar", you've got to do "Godspell"! It's great fun, and thought-provoking. The lyrics of "We Beseech Thee--Hear us!" are especially good.

[Yipee]

ISTM it's a good idea to view the films yourself before showing them to the group. Not all films are good for all churches--especially if kids and teens might see them. E.g., some churches could probably handle "Harold and Maude" very well, in an adult group, enjoy it, and have a great discussion about life, growth, second chances, etc. But many churches would probably freak out.

FWIW. YMMV.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus of Montreal?

I can tell you one most definitely not to use, though. The Last Temptation of Christ.

Not because it was terribly controversial in its day. But because it was tremendously boring. In fact, I think that the movie would have sunk without trace without the controversy, and I wonder if the film's backers didn't work hard to create controversy after seeing that Scorsese's film was a turkey.

When I was in my late teens or early 20s, my Bible study group full of inquisitive, highly intelligent university types decided to watch the movie and then discuss it. We never finished the movie. We were bored witless.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are using the Kings Speech for lent along with a tudy book- Finding a Voice. So far it seems very good

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a Lent group based on the first two Narnia films and Shadowlands, with a study guide by Hilary Brand, "Not a Tame Lion". It was the best attended Lent group we've had - normally numbers tail off after a few weeks. It seemed to work for the couple of people who could quote whole chunks of CSL's works and equally well for those who thought they'd read a couple of Narnia books a few decades ago.
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Schindeler's List' maybe ? A good story of compassion in a dark place .

Can't really go along with The Last Temptation being a 'turkey'. It hits the spot for me . But yeah, possibly not a good choice for a film group as it is very drawn-out.
And of course, never a good idea to raise expectations by giving something the controversial label when in fact the message is far more cerebral.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And of course, never a good idea to raise expectations by giving something the controversial label when in fact the message is far more cerebral.

Not to mention conservative, by the standards of many mainstream Christians these days. Scorsese gives a literal reading of the miracles, portrays Satan as a real being, and has the Resurrection meaning pretty much what it's traditionally meant down through the centuries.

But yes, it was clever of Universal Studios to allow the pictchfork brigade to spread wild fantasies about what happens in the film.

And I second the opinion that it's a good movie, though probably not suitable for audiences pumped up for action and excitement.

[ 10. March 2013, 15:21: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016