homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » ordination vesture (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: ordination vesture
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been trying to wean myself off an addiction to Ship of Fools, but it seems there is no other obvious way of scratching this ecclesiastical trivia itch. So I hope someone can quickly answer this question and let me return to normality asap.

A certain diocese in north-west England has just published photographs of its recent diaconal ordination. There were eleven candidates. Five of them were vested in white stoles. Four in plain black scarves. But two of them in black scarves embroidered with crosses in much the same way as stoles, though these were clearly 'preaching scarves' and worn over both shoulders like a priest's stole, rather than deacon-wise over the left shoulder.

What's that all about? I can understand traditional evangelical suspicion of the stole, although I would be surprised if even one or two of these deacons had a conscientious objection to wearing one. To turn a standard part of anglican choir dress into a personalised garment that to the average lay person is indistinguishable from a stole, apart from its colour, seems bizarre. If ordinary punters are puzzled by the symbolism of the crossways stole (which can be easily explained), surely they will be even more puzzled to see some deacons dressed like priests.

I can only think of three explanations. One, that the wearer wants to make the point that the same vesture should be worn for sacramental and non-sacramental services alike. Except that these days, many evangelicals only wear robes for Holy Communion.

Two, that it is vanity and unnecessary expense to wear 'elaborate' vesture like a stole. Except that this doesn't apply to the decorated scarves, some of which have far more elaborate embroidery than a simple stole. The cost of one alone would be more than the price of four simple stoles in the liturgical colours (certainly more than two double-sided ones, red/green and purple/white).

Three, that there is no essential difference between the holy orders of deacon and of priest, so they should not be distinguished by vesture. But that would seem to contradict the whole tenor of the Ordinal.

Is there something I have missed? Many (if not most) Methodist and other protestant ministers seem happy to wear stoles these days. Why are Anglicans so perverse?

Interestingly, the ordaining bishop was wearing a chasuble, unprecedented I think for such an occasion in this particular cathedral.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the rise of the Anglo-Catholic movement the stole was promoted as a point of identification with the Roman Catholic church, and of a sacrificial intention in the Mass which was at one with the Roman Catholic church. It still is, in some quarters, seen as a distinctive of Anglo Catholic worship.

Some who are aware of the symbolism and wish not to espouse it resist the stole on those grounds.

As for the decoration, it is rarely more than an attempt to brighten up a rather sombre garment.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I get your point Br James, about the historical suspicion of stoles on the part of some evangelicals. When I assisted at my sister-in-law's wedding at a very traditional conservative evangelical parish about 30 years ago, I was ordered sternly to wear scarf and hood rather than any 'popish' vestment.

But I don't think such attitudes are strong nowadays. Most bishops, even con-evo ones, are happy to celebrate the eucharist in a chasuble. Most of the clergy who normally wear black scarves are happy for others to wear what they prefer, even if they are assisting or presiding in their church. Canon Law specifies that all traditional forms of vesture may be worn and no theological significance attached to them.

It would be better for all the ordination candidates to wear plain black, rather than allow a free for all. That would signify their unity and that they were all being ordained to the same ministry in the same church. As it would if all wore stoles.

I'm sure most people aren't as bothered as I am either way. But then, if it's not a matter of great importance, why not let the bishop or the cathedral authorities, rather than the individual, decide?

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The stole is a mark of office, not of priestly sacrifice. AFAIK it is the chasuble that tends to get associated with the sacrificing priesthood. I thought the historical Anglican objection to the stole was more to do with a rather puritanical denigration of the liturgical colour scheme, although a white stole should then hardly be objectionable (red might conversely be a bridge too far).
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my brother-in-law was ordained, I could not resist knitting him a stole. It was dark green (wearable during the longest liturgical season) with a design of wheat ears done in gold and copper. The relevant verse of course was John 4:35.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The choice of wearing of robes/vestments or not, is a mixture of convention and the outlook of the cleric or minister. Some will make the most of vesting or robing and others will do so seldom to never, preferring to stick to lounge suits (or the equivalent in feminine attire) or casual attire (smart or otherwise).

Some Methodist (and other Free Church) ministers, will have a complete set of vestments, short of the chasuble. (I cannot imagine the maniple being worn for communion by Methodists and other Free Church.) It is perfectly possible for evangelical Anglicans to preside at communion unrobed and I have seen this done.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
It is perfectly possible for evangelical Anglicans to preside at communion unrobed and I have seen this done.

It's done - frequently. It's still in breach of Canon Law, though.... [Biased]

As far as I am concerned, black scarves should be just that - plain black. No poncey frippery or patterns. If you want poncey frippery etc (and why wouldn't you!?), wear a stole.

Whilst I am on the subject of how I would rule the Anglican Communion with an iron fist inside an iron glove, given half the chance, let's consider ordination colours, shall we? White? No no no no. Red should be the colour.

(I was ordained in a red stole in Winchester Cathedral - one of the last to do so. Shortly after I was ordained, a new Bishop of Winchester came along (Michael Scott-Joynt of unblessed memory) and arbitrarily changed the tradition for the diocese. I should have known then that this was a sign of the insane stupidity of the man....) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
It is perfectly possible for evangelical Anglicans to preside at communion unrobed and I have seen this done.

It's done - frequently. It's still in breach of Canon Law, though.... [Biased]

As far as I am concerned, black scarves should be just that - plain black. No poncey frippery or patterns. If you want poncey frippery etc (and why wouldn't you!?), wear a stole.

Whilst I am on the subject of how I would rule the Anglican Communion with an iron fist inside an iron glove, given half the chance, let's consider ordination colours, shall we? White? No no no no. Red should be the colour.

(I was ordained in a red stole in Winchester Cathedral - one of the last to do so. Shortly after I was ordained, a new Bishop of Winchester came along (Michael Scott-Joynt of unblessed memory) and arbitrarily changed the tradition for the diocese. I should have known then that this was a sign of the insane stupidity of the man....) [Roll Eyes]

As of this year red is back in Winchester.

[ 08. July 2014, 18:38: Message edited by: Poppy ]

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely, Oscar--red is the color of the Holy Ghost (and incidentally of martyrdom, and the apostolic ministry can be a kind of martyrdom at times)--hence *the* appropriate color for ordinations.

Also, I realize I am being pedantic, but people! A robe is what I wear when I get out of the shower. Clergy wear vestments. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Poppy:
As of this year red is back in Winchester.

Really? Wow. There is hope for the C of E, yet. [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:

I agree. But I'm not too keen on poncey frippery of any kind, least of all the highly personal sort of motifs that you often see on these trendy embroidered scarves. Vestments are to mark the office and minimise the personality of the wearer: personalised logos draw attention to the latter.
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Re colours for ordination: the other year a certain Bishop held ordinations on Pentecost Sunday and declared the liturgical colour to be white!

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Re colours for ordination: the other year a certain Bishop held ordinations on Pentecost Sunday and declared the liturgical colour to be white!

Well, after all it's Whitsunday, isn't it?! [Devil]

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:

As far as I am concerned, black scarves should be just that - plain black…

… But I'm not too keen on poncey frippery of any kind, least of all the highly personal sort of motifs that you often see on these trendy embroidered scarves…
The very large majority of embroidered scarves I have come across (and I've not encountered many) tend to be embroidered with symbols relevant to the ministry of preaching. (Except of course cathedral canons and military chaplains who have cathedral arms or military badges.) Mine, for example, is embroidered with the traditional symbols of the four evangelists in gold outline. It is also reversible for occasions where plain black is de rigeur.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since, as Angloid says,
quote:
Canon Law specifies that all traditional forms of vesture may be worn and no theological significance attached to them.
how material is this and how much should it matter, particularly indeed to those that know better? Can't help thinking of this well known recital .

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

While it may be true that…
quote:
The Church of England does not attach any particular doctrinal significance to the diversities of vesture permitted by this Canon, and the vesture worn by the minister in accordance with the provision of this Canon is not to be understood as implying any doctrines other than those now contained in the formularies of the Church of England. Canon B 8.1
That doesn't stop individuals and groups within the Church of England from attaching significance to different kinds of vesture, whether they are for or against it. And some will say if you are wearing it then you are proclaiming what they or others say it signifies, or alternatively if you don't intend to proclaim what it signifies, you shouldn't wear it.
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There does seem to be a fashion for ever more ornate stoles which have symbols and maybe fabrics in the specially commissioned ones that are very personal to the wearer. This seems to have transferred over to preaching stoles. Now I'm not adverse to a nice bit of embroidery. I make my own stoles and enjoy a bit of theological reflection in needlework and fabric but I very rarely wear them as the church I'm part of has its own set of vestments and I wear those. Mine are nicer, but it isn't all about me.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And that's it, isn't it- 'it isn't all about me'. Would that more clergy understood this.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
The stole is a mark of office, not of priestly sacrifice. AFAIK it is the chasuble that tends to get associated with the sacrificing priesthood. I thought the historical Anglican objection to the stole was more to do with a rather puritanical denigration of the liturgical colour scheme, although a white stole should then hardly be objectionable (red might conversely be a bridge too far).

The church I attended a couple of years ago accommodated a retired navy chaplain who muttered disparagingly about "rags of rome" (not to mention advocating hanging the Pope) when the young evangelical curate worse cassock-alb and stole to celebrate communion. Whether the gentleman in question was representative of a conservative strain of protestant anglicanism or just a crazy old man I will leave as an exercise for the reader.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But note that he was objecting to a cassock-alb. And if my enemy's enemy is my friend...

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I disagree with this: white is the correct colour for ordinations.

White is the colour for sacraments as such. The liturgical colour for baptisms, confirmations, weddings and the Eucharist (e.g. Corpus Christi) is white; only the sacraments with a penitential character (anointing and reconciliation) are purple.

The ordination service is not the liturgy of the day. Properly speaking it is a votive mass. Votive masses come with their own liturgical colour (along with the propers). For ordinations that is white.

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that I have seen red almost as frequently as white for ordinations, presumably on the grounds that these masses are votive of the Holy Spirit. It's really a matter of emphasis and would be up to the bishop as the chief minister of the sacrament and (would that they knew this) the guardian of liturgical tradition in their diocese.

I had heard of a TEC bishop in the 1980s who had a vestment with all of the liturgical colours for ordinations on the grounds that ordination was the enabling sacrament for the celebration of all seasons, but I have been unable to find verification for this and wonder if it be an urban legend.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add to the confusion, it has become a fashion for ordinands to wear stoles BEFORE the act of ordination.

i.e. those about to be deacon enter the church with their stoles worn diagonally.

Those to be priested enter with their stoles round their neck

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:

The ordination service is not the liturgy of the day. Properly speaking it is a votive mass. Votive masses come with their own liturgical colour (along with the propers). For ordinations that is white.

Is that an Anglican custom? It's not ours (RC; OF). I was ordained deacon on an Ordinary Time Sunday, so we were in Green and certainly used the readings of the day. I honestly can't remember which proper prayers were used. I was ordained priest on Saturday of the Easter octave, so again we used the color and propers of the day, adding an epistolary second reading from the Ordinal as the day only had an Acts reading and a Gospel.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:

Is that an Anglican custom? It's not ours (RC; OF). I was ordained deacon on an Ordinary Time Sunday, so we were in Green and certainly used the readings of the day. I honestly can't remember which proper prayers were used. I was ordained priest on Saturday of the Easter octave, so again we used the color and propers of the day, adding an epistolary second reading from the Ordinal as the day only had an Acts reading and a Gospel.
Both those days are privileged days (all Sundays, solemnities, weekdays in Holy Week or Easter Week, some others that don't spring to mind) and no votive masses may be celebrated on those days according to RC rules.

Anglicans are much less particular about this, so it's not unknown to have things like a requiem on a Sunday (e.g. Remembrance Day), which is forbidden in the Roman Catholic Church.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Just to add to the confusion, it has become a fashion for ordinands to wear stoles BEFORE the act of ordination.

i.e. those about to be deacon enter the church with their stoles worn diagonally.

Out of all the wrong things talked about on this thread, this struck me as the wrongest of the wrong. The stole should only be conferred (on a deacon) or adjusted (on a priest) after the laying on of hands.

In my day there was a dress code - surplice and stole - and we did as we were dam' well told. Although it was only shortly after that I noticed some beginning to insist on wearing scarves. And then came the decorated ones. (Personally, I've always enjoyed seeing the gay flag - sorry, I mean a rainbow - adorning the scarf of a conservative evangelical.)

As Poppy and Albertus have said, overdecorated scarves and stoles are all part of the "this is my big day" culture. And I don't think I'd like to be a member of a congregation of a deacon or priest who starts their ministry that way.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I vote that it should be the colour of the day. So yes, there could be ordinations in green. So be it.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it has become a fashion for ordinands to wear stoles BEFORE the act of ordination

If I read the Latin correctly, the Pontificale Romanum directs that the deacon-to-be present himself carrying the stole in his left hand, and that the priest-to-be present himself vested as a deacon.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

In my day there was a dress code - surplice and stole - and we did as we were dam' well told.

In my day too. And that was in a diocese at least as evangelical as my present one. I remember one ordinand from a scarf-wearing parish being lent a stole by the bishop. Then the next year there was a particularly conservative one who refused to wear a stole, but he was ordained in cassock and surplice alone, provoking comments of sympathy from the congregation who thought he was too poor to afford one.
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
quote:

I disagree with this: white is the correct colour for ordinations.

White is the colour for sacraments as such. The liturgical colour for baptisms, confirmations, weddings and the Eucharist (e.g. Corpus Christi) is white; only the sacraments with a penitential character (anointing and reconciliation) are purple.

In the Roman Communion, that's true. In other jurisdictions, red is used for confirmations and ordinations.

I agree, however, that an ordination (like a requiem or nuptial Mass) is a votive Mass and should not use the day's color.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:

I vote that it should be the colour of the day. So yes, there could be ordinations in green. So be it.
Vote? Vote?

Who said you were getting a vote? Did you not read my comment about the iron fist in the iron glove? Did you think I was joking??
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
quote:

Out of all the wrong things talked about on this thread, this struck me as the wrongest of the wrong. The stole should only be conferred (on a deacon) or adjusted (on a priest) after the laying on of hands.

Yes yes yes. (OMG! I think I've just turned into the worst possible kind of liturgical nazi-geek)

quote:
(Personally, I've always enjoyed seeing the gay flag - sorry, I mean a rainbow - adorning the scarf of a conservative evangelical.)

Ha ha. You've noticed that, too? Do they ever realise what they are doing?

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:

Vote? Vote?

Who said you were getting a vote? Did you not read my comment about the iron fist in the iron glove? Did you think I was joking??
[Big Grin]

Well, if people can put up signs advertising "Our Burger's Voted Best in Chicago!!!" then I can cast a vote for something more worthwhile like ordination vestment colours. [Smile] Sorry...colour's.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Indeed - which is why I object to this new fad, which is, I am told, in the rubrics of the latest C of E ordinal.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
it has become a fashion for ordinands to wear stoles BEFORE the act of ordination

If I read the Latin correctly, the Pontificale Romanum directs that the deacon-to-be present himself carrying the stole in his left hand, and that the priest-to-be present himself vested as a deacon.
Indeed - but the Anglican rubric says The ordinands may enter in the vesture of the order to which they are to be ordained.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet more proof, if proof were needed, that the Church of England Liturgical Commission could be packed into a large sack with a suitably hefty weight of chain around their ankles and dumped into a deep body of water with no appreciable loss to the work of the Kingdom of God.

Ordinands to the Diaconate should enter carrying their stoles. Ordinands to the Priesthood should be vested as Deacons. Which part of "it's an ordination, not a fancy dress party" exactly is difficult here?

Personally, I have no quarrel with conservative evangelicals wanting to get ordained in plain scarf. They worship God in their way, we worship him in His and all that jazz. But if they want to wear multi coloured ethnic stole, surplice and hood they could at least do the decent thing and join the Modern Churchperson's Union.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the Anglican rubric says The ordinands may enter in the vesture of the order to which they are to be ordained.

Well, at least it doesn't say shall. [Frown]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
Yet more proof, if proof were needed, that the Church of England Liturgical Commission could be packed into a large sack with a suitably hefty weight of chain around their ankles and dumped into a deep body of water with no appreciable loss to the work of the Kingdom of God.

General Synod should go with them. After all, they voted this through, didn't they?

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ordinands to the Diaconate should enter carrying their stoles. Ordinands to the Priesthood should be vested as Deacons. Which part of "it's an ordination, not a fancy dress party" exactly is difficult here?

Would you like to count the universities that have graduands enter their graduation ceremonies wearing the academic dress of the degree to which they have not yet graduated? It's the same thought process.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Would you like to count the universities that have graduands enter their graduation ceremonies wearing the academic dress of the degree to which they have not yet graduated? It's the same thought process.
I suppose the difference is that the graduands have already earned the degree, and the ceremony is just a formality. That's not my understanding of what happens in an ordination, though that's of course not true for all churchmanships.

--------------------

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

In my (admittedly narrow) experience that is generally when they have not already got a degree. Those who do have a degree wear whatever they were already entitled to.

In that sense, ordinands should wear what they are already entitled to by virtue of their baptism: the surplice.

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly. The first such ceremony I attended so bored me rigid that I have never attended a subsequent one but that is no bar to my claiming to have attained the qualifications. On the other hand an ordinand who fails to attend his or her ordination remains a layperson.

Oscar the Grouch - Business before pleasure, if you please.

[ETA - x-post]

[ 09. July 2014, 19:53: Message edited by: Gildas ]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
I suppose the difference is that the graduands have already earned the degree, and the ceremony is just a formality. That's not my understanding of what happens in an ordination, though that's of course not true for all churchmanships.

That's not my understanding of graduation either. Certainly a graduand has earned his degree, by showing up for sufficiently long, obtaining passing marks in some exams and so on, but he doesn't have a degree until the body with the authority to grant degrees actually awards his degree, and that happens in the middle of the graduation ceremony.

I don't claim, of course, that graduation makes an indelible mark on the soul, but I do claim that there is an identifiable moment when the degree is awarded, and that happens in the middle of the graduation ceremony. Similarly, we can identify the moment at which an ordinand is ordained.

There's no requirement to be present to graduate - you may certainly graduate in absentia (and if my mother would have let me get away with it, I probably would have done [Smile] ), but your degree is still awarded at an identifiable time (probably in the same ceremony that your coaevals are present at, although that's not necessary).
However, if you are elsewhere at the time that you graduate, the chance that you are wearing academic dress and should, technically, change at the time is vanishingly small.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Small tangent: IIRC (both my graduations there were over 20 years ago) at Cambridge you wear the robes of the degree that you have (so, BA when graduating MA) except that for your BA you wear your undergraduate gown with a BA hood, which seems to me a little odd. Or do I remember incorrectly?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only degree ceremony I have attended in person (St Andrews), irc the process was you wore the gown but carried your hood until you knelt before the Chancellor who awarded your degree and a porter put on your hood. In order to check the details I had to get out photos of my graduation! Nobody else seems to have been photo-ed at that moment.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Small tangent: IIRC (both my graduations there were over 20 years ago) at Cambridge you wear the robes of the degree that you have (so, BA when graduating MA) except that for your BA you wear your undergraduate gown with a BA hood, which seems to me a little odd. Or do I remember incorrectly?

That's right - you wear what you have unless you don't currently have a Cambridge degree, in which case you wear the gown of your current status and the hood of the degree to which you are going to be admitted.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
While it may be true that…
quote:
The Church of England does not attach any particular doctrinal significance to the diversities of vesture permitted by this Canon, and the vesture worn by the minister in accordance with the provision of this Canon is not to be understood as implying any doctrines other than those now contained in the formularies of the Church of England. Canon B 8.1
That doesn't stop individuals and groups within the Church of England from attaching significance to different kinds of vesture, whether they are for or against it. And some will say if you are wearing it then you are proclaiming what they or others say it signifies, or alternatively if you don't intend to proclaim what it signifies, you shouldn't wear it.
So are they saying they, and those who share their view, know better than the collective wisdom of the church? What a very Protestant habit of thinking.

And on this particular issue, are we saying that those that were ordained wearing what we think they ought to wear, are more ordained, than those who at the moment of ordination were wearing what we, with our special gnosis, think were the wrong clothes? Are the sacraments they subsequently celebrate more or less valid according to what coloured stole they were ordained in?

That would have disturbing implications for apostolic succession. I don't know what clergy wore to be ordained in during the C17, C18 and C19. I doubt anyone else does. But I think we can be fairly certain they did not wear stoles in the correct seasonal or other colours.

Or are we just smirking and feeling superior to those who do not have, or do not care about, the precise knowledge we have?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

And on this particular issue, are we saying that those that were ordained wearing what we think they ought to wear, are more ordained, than those who at the moment of ordination were wearing what we, with our special gnosis, think were the wrong clothes? Are the sacraments they subsequently celebrate more or less valid according to what coloured stole they were ordained in?

Of course not. But what signal is given by a motley collection of new deacons or priests each arrayed in the vesture he/she thinks most appropriate? That they have not been ordained to the same order in the universal church, but given a personal mandate?

Adeodatus is right to suggest that bishops who decree a universal 'house style' are on the right lines. I don't care if it's stoles or black scarves or lace albs and dalmatics, as long as all wear the same.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, this part of the Anglican Communion is already compliant. Ordinations in red here.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen photos of preaching scarves (tippets) worn deacon-wise & sniggered. Strictly, of course, the black tippet is the dress of a graduate in order(s) - should never be worn without hood of degree & shouldn't be worn at all by non-graduates.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016