Thread: Rev. BBC2 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027272

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Nobody else has started a thread on the new series yet, so I thought I might as well. Read all about it

There are some new characters in this series including the Area Dean, Diocesan Secretary and a local Immam.

I'm usually out on Monday evenings, but I'll be setting up my electric television device to record the series. I'm hoping this series is as good as the first two.

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

PVR already scheduled..

3 mins to Rev series 3 starting...

As Java Chat is still unsafe to run - Twitter has hashtag #rev...

On air - and Alex's waters have broken..

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

Hmm, not very impressed by the first episode. Far too predictable.

Posted by Jante (# 9163) on :

I didn't take to the two new characters! [Frown]

What was the Diocesan Secretary all about? I'm really not sure where she's supposed to fit in. In my experience, Diocesn Secretaries have no input at all in the day to day running of parishes. They rarely even leave their office!

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jante:

I don't think we're meant to.

Posted by TheAlethiophile (# 16870) on :

A brilliant start to the series.

Though my prediction (made at the end of the last series) that we would chart Alex's pregnancy followed by the pathos of a miscarriage got blown out of the water in the first scene.

Top gag had to be the one about the anglican hierarchy:

"So, how does it work?"

"It doesn't."

[Killing me] [Killing me]

The look of horror on the archdeacon's face as Alex gave birth in the back of the taxi was priceless!

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Don't forget that Miles Jupp is a clergy son - in his case URC.

So are David Tennant (CofS Moderator of General Assembly) and Hugh Dennis (CofE - a Bishop no less!)

Sadly my own son works backstage, not on it.

[ 25. March 2014, 15:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

Loved Colin's fundraising technique

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Absolutely Matt Black . No one could accuse him of burying his Talent . [Devil]

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I thought it was good. The archdeacon being told to get the tube was excellent. Not to mention his delivery of the baby.

OK, it was stretching a little to include the diocesan secretary and area dean, but then it is stretching it that the archdeacon gets so involved. It is just about more characters, more people.

The problem is, it is so hyped, it is hard to live up to that. I am not sure it should - it should just surprise. I hope it does.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

The first few minutes were wonderful, sort of slapstick, as the archdeacon struggled with her dilation and the baby's head emerging - 'ghastly'!

It quietened down a bit then, but still very good; the imam was well played by the actor.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Don't forget that Miles Jupp is a clergy son - in his case URC.

If he is the son of the minister I suspect then he is the son of our expert on Funeral rites! For some reason I suspect that might please people here.

Jengie

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:

But they are so real. I'm sure I've met them both, but not both at the same time.

Like all good comedy caricatures they are exagerated, but not by much.

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

But they are so real. I'm sure I've met them both, but not both at the same time.

Like all good comedy caricatures they are exagerated, but not by much.

Both actresses were in Getting On, which was a series I very much enjoyed. It had a horrible credibility.

I also discovered that Vikki Pepperdine was a contemporary of mine at university. I may well have met her there.

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

Wonderful as always, though I have a niggling worry that somebody may not realise that an Archdeacon outranks an Area Dean.

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

I loved it. I was a bit worried about whether it would all go rather bleak with Alex either losing the baby or getting PND or other Very Bad Things, so I'm glad it hasn't gone there.

The hierarchy joke made me shout "Yes!" at the telly - to my shame despite decades in the CofE I had no idea about how you know the difference between a rector and a vicar.

And I loved Area Dean & Diocesan Sec. All the talk about "How are we going to BE church?" as a cover for cutting. [Two face] I have a feeling the archdeacon is going to end up rescuing Adam at some point....

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Wonderful as always, though I have a niggling worry that somebody may not realise that an Archdeacon outranks an Area Dean.

But personality can override hierarchy, can't it? IIRC in All Gas and Gaiters everyone was terrified of the Dean.

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
And I loved Area Dean & Diocesan Sec. All the talk about "How are we going to BE church?" as a cover for cutting. [Two face] I have a feeling the archdeacon is going to end up rescuing Adam at some point....

As often happens in real life.

Alex's reluctance to have the baby baptised didn't really ring true with me though.

Oh, I don't know ... my wife often resists pressure to do things that are expected of her "because she's the Minister's wife".

What did intrigue me was the potential (or even extant) relationship between the Diocesan Secretary and the Area Dean ..,. or am I clutching at straws?

[ 27. March 2014, 08:03: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

For me the best line was Yusuf's: "I love your churches. So much space!"

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

Really really weird. I am just watching the episode - and I can smell baby poo.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
For me the best line was Yusuf's: "I love your churches. So much space!"

Yes, a nice dead-pan line. Also liked his face, when the church hierarchy was being explained to him; and Adam's face when he saw the throngs outside the mosque; also of course, the ten grand immediately forthcoming from them.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

The problem is, it is so hyped, it is hard to live up to that. I am not sure it should - it should just surprise. I hope it does.

Really hope I don't put the kiss of death on Rev by saying this , but I enjoyed the first episode of this new series so much that I think it might just have the makings of a quality long-distance sit-com.
We've watched the earlier series' several times over . Each time we appreciate the detail the creators have put those characters .

I don't know too much about reformed (?) characters like Colin in real life, but I reckon they've cast that guy just right . Him making a horror face and loud noise at Adam's young child in the park got me going straight away, -- classic Colin.

Adam was interviewed on the radio the other week. He said that the first three episodes were funny, the last ones deeper - as the other series have done. I hope so, because the depth is so important.

I still think the finale from s1 was one of the best things I have ever seen. I hope they can get the same level of depth and intensity in this series, by the end. But I don't expect it early on - this intensity needs to build.

Spoiler alert

.I understand tonight they are tackling the equal marriage in the church issue...

Posted by Tulfes (# 18000) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Spoiler alert

.I understand tonight they are tackling the equal marriage in the church issue...

Yawn. No wonder ratings are so low.

Posted by Panda (# 2951) on :

From what I've read, the TV ratings are actually pretty good. Unless you mean church attendance ratings; then yes, they are low...

quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
From what I've read, the TV ratings are actually pretty good. Unless you mean church attendance ratings; then yes, they are low...

10pm on BBC2 on a Monday night is hardly a top rated spot. Sensible people will be in their beds.

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

Thank God I'm not sensible

quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:

Sorry, I meant exhausted and insensible!

Posted by tessaB (# 8533) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
quote:

Sorry, I meant exhausted and insensible!
But, but, surely that is what Sky Plus (or any other brand-named equivelent is for?

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

I so recognised the Area Dean and Diocesan Secretary that I was convinced they must be based on people I know, though it's hard to work out how that would be [Big Grin]

Diocesan Secs involving themselves in the outworking of policy isn't completely unheard of, depends on the personalities involved. I think Adam's improvisation of an impressive sounding catchphrase to cover up his failures rings a bell with a lot of clergy - many dioceses now seem to be pushing parishes to participate in various programmes for growth which consist mainly of lists of impressive sounding catchphrases!

quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
... - many dioceses now seem to be pushing parishes to participate in various programmes for growth which consist mainly of lists of impressive sounding catchphrases!

So different, so very different from the home life of so many other large institutional organisations.

Has anyone else been watching W1A?

[ 31. March 2014, 17:10: Message edited by: Enoch ]

W1A - by being more explicitly and deliberately humorous - takes it even further. And it is brilliant. The fact that they are taking the mickey out of themselves is even better.

Any large organisation - or people who think like a large organisation - behave like that. I am working for a project manager who is a bit like that, but we are working on him.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
quote:

10pm on BBC2 on a Monday night is hardly a top rated spot. Sensible people will be in their beds.
Who is sensible? Even when up for work at 7am i never went to bed much before 0030. Had just finished marking and prep. by 200 and about to relax.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
[QB]So different, so very different from the home life of so many other large institutional organisations.

Well, naively, before I saw the C of E quite so close up I would have hoped so.

However there are a number of people doing far better than that in the C of E, which I suppose is where the irritation with Rev arises in some quarters.

The catchphrase thing. I have a theory (based on not much evidence) that a lot of the people who use most management-speak & catchphrasey nonsense used to be hired by big business, city type firms etc. Then when the big business got tired of them they moved onto the nhs, then universities. Basically they've worked their way through pretty much most fields of employment before coming to rest in the church, because we haven't noticed so much of it is nonsense yet.

Haven't watched any episodes W1A yet, but would love to. From the snippets I've seen it looks hilarious. In a watching from behind the sofa sort of way.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
... - many dioceses now seem to be pushing parishes to participate in various programmes for growth which consist mainly of lists of impressive sounding catchphrases!

So different, so very different from the home life of so many other large institutional organisations.
Oh Lordy! We have done Going for Growth, Funding the Vision and now Natural Church Development!
Load of corporate-speak bollocks the lot of it!

The URC had "Catch the Vision" and now "Vision 20/20".

On air.

Having to work around the regs...

WHat an unfortunate TLA is IED...

Oh dear God... having to skirt ever so close like that...

My wife (who is out at the moment) will be DELIGHTED at the reference to Hungarian palincka from Kecskemet - she loves the stuff.

If only they'd said "Unicum" instead - now THAT'S an acquired taste (which I haven't acquired). But it is a registered trade mark so I suppose they couldn't use it.

Doing same-sex blessings is like parking on a double-yellow line - fine so long as you don't get caught? Loved it!

Now how does that apply to Baptists? [Cool]

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Well that is going to piss off more people than the raving evo in season 1.

Very Funny.

IED lol.

It all so true and funny and painful.

Posted by Not (# 2166) on :

that walked a painfully real line between laughter and tears...

And great lines

" filly filly uppy uppy" (Archdeacon, handing over the dreaded fund-raising thermometer)

"first you'll be suspended, then you'll be defrocked, then you'll be killed by one of the Bishop's team of assassins in unmarked cars" (what apparently happens if you do a gay wedding)

"eat it! eat it in the name of church unity" (disposal of illegal liturgical evidence)

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
It all so true and funny and painful.

Indeed so. Clearly written with the benefit of inside knowledge. Including the collusion in the hierarchy. And the final scene. [Two face]

And the timing of this episode was impeccable - too fortuitous to be accidental. [Big Grin]

"Archdeacon, ya big church knob, how's tricks?"

I do so wish I'd said that ...

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Not:

"eat it! eat it in the name of church unity" (disposal of illegal liturgical evidence)

One of the writers is a lurker. [Big Grin]

Posted by ToujoursDan (# 10578) on :

The couple was cute. (Much better looking than the couples in all the Episcopal Church gay weddings I've attended.)

A very good episode, the final scene brought a lump to my throat

That was so good. Showing the problems of the Anglican position "You are not married" "yes we are" "well not here", as well as the hypocrisy with the archdeacon being gay.

But it also showed the pastoral problems of this position. "So God doesn't approve of us" "well God does, its just that the church doesn't". And the final scene where - as so often - Adam does the right thing irrespective of the consequences.

quote:

ditto

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

ditto
ditto

Posted by StevHep (# 17198) on :

I expect a first century version of Rev would have shown Jesus marrying Herod and Herodias over the curmudgeonly objections of John the Baptist. Except, of course, Jesus would have done no such thing because powerful interpersonal attractions are not the most important thing in the universe. Sometimes the best thing you can do for a person is to say No.

Posted by Hairy Biker (# 12086) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

Yawn. No wonder ratings are so low.
Exactly my reaction when I heard about it. But the episode was hilarious - fantastic comedy and not in the least boring, even though the subject has been so over-done in the media. Loved it!

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
Doing same-sex blessings is like parking on a double-yellow line - fine so long as you don't get caught? Loved it!

Now how does that apply to Baptists? [Cool]

It doesn't. You and I both know that if you do or don't do such blessings no one will do anything about it. Precedent has been set with chalkey.

The BU haven't got the wherewithal or the stomach for such a fight - in any event the BUGB can't tell a church what to do. If the church meeting decides to do it, it can be done!

quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
[QUOTE]Oh Lordy! We have done Going for Growth, Funding the Vision and now Natural Church Development! Load of corporate-speak bollocks the lot of it!

Yep, those of us who had been in the corporate world before ordination can recognise a barrel of such stuff a mile away.

Bear in mind that Natural Church Development is a matter of "Warning: increase not guaranteed. Development can go down as well as up"

quote:
Originally posted by StevHep:
I expect a first century version of Rev would have shown Jesus marrying Herod and Herodias over the curmudgeonly objections of John the Baptist. Except, of course, Jesus would have done no such thing because powerful interpersonal attractions are not the most important thing in the universe. Sometimes the best thing you can do for a person is to say No.

No

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

When Nigel got so uptight about the gay wedding, I couldn't help feeling that Series 4 might have the Archdeacon and Nigel getting it together and - finally - getting married. Watch Series 4 and see if I'm right!

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

quote:
That was so good. Showing the problems of the Anglican position "You are not married" "yes we are" "well not here", as well as the hypocrisy with the archdeacon being gay.

But it also showed the pastoral problems of this position. "So God doesn't approve of us" "well God does, its just that the church doesn't". And the final scene where - as so often - Adam does the right thing irrespective of the consequences.

I cheered at the final scene (which was awkward as I was in bed at the time). I told a friend that I looked forward to being able to carry out same-sex weddings before I retired: I think my odds (25 years, Church in Wales) are roughly evens...

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
When Nigel got so uptight about the gay wedding, I couldn't help feeling that Series 4 might have the Archdeacon and Nigel getting it together and - finally - getting married. Watch Series 4 and see if I'm right!

But that would make the Archdeacon the equivalent of a divorcé. Big moral problem. I'm a bit worried about the diocesan ladies double act. Is the frequency of gays in the CofE that high?

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

quote:

My theory is that "Cherry", with whom Nigel claims to be in a relationship, is in fact a trans woman. I dearly hope we meet her before the series ends. [Smile]

Posted by betjemaniac (# 17618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
quote:

My theory is that "Cherry", with whom Nigel claims to be in a relationship, is in fact a trans woman. I dearly hope we meet her before the series ends. [Smile]
I rather think the best/funniest way of wrapping that story arc up might be along the lines of the final episode of Allo Allo where it is revealed that Lt Grueber and Helga got married and had 7 children. Cherry really ought to be a perfectly unremarkable, attractive, straight woman, with whom Nigel is in a relationship. The shock of that would be as great to the other characters as it would be to the audience ISTM.

Two thoughts.

One is that I seem to remember reading somewhere that there will be no Series 4. Can anyone corroborate this?

The other is that "Cherry" is only an Internet persona who doesn't really exist - either an avatar in a chatroom or (much more likely) a virtual character in a video game, like Lara Croft.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
[I'm a bit worried about the diocesan ladies double act. Is the frequency of gays in the CofE that high?

Remember that this is the Diocese of London!!! [Devil]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

True, funny, and painful indeed - especially for us, as we're a UPA parish (albeit not in London) with a nice shiny new mosque nearby, and our very own home-grown versions of Nigel and Colin..... [Eek!]

.....and, although we're not under threat from egregious Area Deans and Diocesan Secretaries (yet!), a neighbouring parish is.............. [Ultra confused]

Ian J.

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:

We never got to meet Mrs Mannering in all those wonderful years of 'Dad's Army' [Smile]

(not sure if my comparison is all that watertight)

I did spot, though, that when the Archdeacon demanded to see the order of service used, and Adam said he didn't have one, he used 'this', pointing to a service book - that was actually the green CW book, Pastoral Services - which is the weddings are, not the Eucharists...

Series 1 brilliant esp Vivian in the Supermarket!. Series 2 ok. Series 3 - stories too "right on" for words. Passed its sell by date.

Put it and us out of our misery - unless it really does represent urban parish life (not in this neck of the woods), in which case the state church is truly doomed.

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
in which case the state church is truly doomed.

Good job we have an established church then, and not a state church.

Ep2 about to air.

There were spoilers...so I edited.

[ 07. April 2014, 21:31: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

very disappointed in tonights episode

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

This is the first episode I've seen since the first series. Miserable, or what!

Ditto: from the dizzy heights of last week to the cringeworthy depths of this week [Frown]

Yes, I was disappointed too. I thought that both Mick and Adoha were included in ways that suggested "we have to bring them in" and didn't contribute to the plot, while the end of the litter-pick was pure slapstick end-of-the-pier stuff.

I do like the prayers which always have an edge of authenticity to them. And where had the Miles Jupp character been for two mysterious days?

But the whole episode was a bit formulaic.

Realistic, though.

Posted by not entirely me (# 17637) on :

It was so sad. If this is the final series they might close the church at the end. Maybe Nigel's got a secret plan for gaining funds and that's what he was off doing.
Cherry is probably a pet.

I've only one thing to say about last night's episode and that is......

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Don't want to put spoilers in for anyone one who's not seen it yet .
Best yet as far we were concerned.

Did we watch the same thing? [Confused]

Am I the only person who is beginning to find Rev is losing touch with credibility. A pity, as the previous series were good. Perhaps they have reached the point where they've run out of plots.

Posted by Niminypiminy (# 15489) on :

I felt last night's episode was verging on that Mike Leigh-ish mode of being cruel to all the characters. I never find the comedy of embarrassment very funny, but it's increasingly grating that the script allows Adam no competence at all. In fact, none of the characters came out of it very well. Dark is one thing, but this felt, well, nasty.

Maybe it is the need to have plots that is spoiling it -- I often find plot works against comedies. Porridge is a fantastic example of a comedy that was consistently funny partly because almost nothing ever happened.

[ 08. April 2014, 17:57: Message edited by: Niminypiminy ]

The thing is, I don't think it was that unrealistic (in the normal terms). The interesting thing is that the church is situated on the edge of the city and the more impoverished east end. Similarly, Adam and Alex are spread between the church and the more high-flying world of business.

The thing is, in such a place, a well known artist might well be drawn into the social circle. It is Damien Hurst area.

I think, in essence, this is the core of the tension that Adam feels. He is in touch with the wealth of the city, and yet knows that there is also poverty because that is so much of where he works.

Not as good as last week, but I think it still made a good point.

I agree that the situation was not so incredibly far-fetched. What I felt was upsetting was the way the characters were made to deal with it.

The bit where Colin makes the baby drink from a miniature of some kind of spirits -- having told her to shut the fuck up. That was horrible, and it wasn't followed up at all. Or making Mick turn into a fake trans-sexual prostitute. What did that gain in comedic terms? Why was Adam's apology at the end so mealy-mouthed? It's those kind of things that not only didn't I find funny, but that seemed pointlessly nasty towards the characters themselves.

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

I thought it was brilliant television. Astutely observed. Hard to watch because so real.

Do agree about Mick and Adoha - but I've always thought, since the first series, they were weak, formulaic sitcom 'characters' with no real depth of character and don't really add anything.

quote:
quote:

Interchangeable terms - established = state

Posted by Gwalchmai (# 17802) on :

What was completely unrealistic was Alex getting a job in a law firm with "an expanding legal aid department". This at a time when the Ministry of Justice (an appropriate Orwellian-sounding name) is slashing the legal aid budget, legal aid law firms are going out of business all over the country and those that survive may have just one solicitor handling legal aid cases. Meanwhile the number of people who need good legal advice but cannot afford it continues to grow. Many such people are from the "hard-working families" so beloved of politicians of all parties.

As for a legal aid firm having a "client lunch", that is just surreal.

I think Alex's promotion (or career progress) had to be within the law firm, but in an area that would not cause any moral issues. Yes it was unrealistic, but it was some artistic license to avoid any difficulties.

Mick always strikes me as the representative of the most difficult, problematic, needy element in the society. Many vicarages will recognise the character.

Adoha is also a character that I recognise - the congregation member with a crush on the vicar.

In a sense, they should both make an appearance each time, maybe in a minor role, because they are not a major story in themselves, but are a constant issue - for Adam, they are both constant problems that he needs to manage.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

I liked it. It was depressing, sure, and the sexual tension between Adam and Ellie had been obvious since the beginning. I didn't think that the car park scene was particularly slapstick; I think that misses the point completely. Personally I'd have been looking for the dog turds in that situation. Adan spontaneously doing grace, and even so more doing it in Latin, did seem out of character though.

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:

As for a legal aid firm having a "client lunch", that is just surreal.

That's exactly what struck me as being utterly absurd.

I thought the episode was crap.

quote:
quote:
quote:

No they aren't. Germany, Sweden and Norway have a state church and they pay state taxes.

England and Scotland have churches 'by law established'.

Meant to add that the state does not fund established churches. It does fund state churches.

[ 09. April 2014, 15:32: Message edited by: leo ]

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No they aren't. Germany, Sweden and Norway have a state church and they pay state taxes.

Who establishes the law - why, the state.

Posted by Meerkat (# 16117) on :

Rolyn... I had almost forgotten that we never saw Mrs. Mainwaring throughout the whole series. We almost came close, once, I think... I wonder if she looked like Mrs. 'Bucket'?

The joys of simple enjoyable progs like that and 'Summer Wine', eh? Silly; predictable... but that was the appeal for me!

Well, we did see the bulge of her bum in the upper bunk ... and I think we saw an ankle once (or am I getting confused with Nora Batty in early episodes of "Last of the Summer Wine")?

Of course, Mrs. M. was often on the phone, although we only heard her husband's side of the conversations!

quote:
And where had the Miles Jupp character been for two mysterious days?

More to the point, why does Nigel always seem to be hanging around the church? Doesn't he have a job?

And wouldn't they actually use childcare rather than have their baby in her pushchair all day? (Not to mention being given spirits by Colin, which I can't bring myself to find funny)

Posted by Not (# 2166) on :

It wasn't a very funny episode, but still lots of painfully real moments. Yes, the ending was overblown and unlikely, but how vividly it showed that hypersensitivity of a guilty conscience. Yes, Colin giving Katie spirits wasn't funny, but that's the line Adam walks all the time with Colin - he's loveable and loyal and kind, but he crosses the boundaries of the acceptable all the time, (the drug money in the first episode raised it too). And that leaves Adam dangling on a middle class niceness v moral boundaries v solidarity with Colin dilemma all the time. So Colin's plea to be a godparent has real poignancy. It would be a massive step of acceptance and trust - but he can't actually be trusted...

Probably overthinking - but it's not often I'm still nagged at and moved by and thinking about a sitcom a day later - even in its weaker episodes.

quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
And wouldn't they actually use childcare rather than have their baby in her pushchair all day? (Not to mention being given spirits by Colin, which I can't bring myself to find funny)

Colins treatment of Katie(?) wasn't funny, but was insight into his nature. He swears and drinks because it is normal. He gives Katie a drink because it will shut her up. In his logic, it makes sense.

Its just his logic is fatally flawed. It is amusing? poignant? because it reflects his sense of appropriateness.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I liked it. It was depressing, sure, and the sexual tension between Adam and Ellie had been obvious since the beginning. I didn't think that the car park scene was particularly slapstick; I think that misses the point completely.

That was my take too . The scene where the jerks chucked litter out of the car in the face of a community litter pick-up was well worked because it was set up earlier with just Adam.
Newly divorced despondent Ellie was triggered into showing true mettle , (as so often a woman can out perform a man in those type of situations). This is what set the scene for Adam to fall from grace and cross the line which led adultery.

I think Ellie has developed realistically as a character. In the first series she was so in control, then in the 2nd her partner died, in the 3rd she's divorced and lonely and sad. As Adam and Alex get to know her more her vulnerability, strength and loneliness all come across more and more.
I think in this episode they pushed both Colin and Mick to display desperation but we've already seen glimpses of this before now.
& Adam has been prone to both "man-crushes" and jealousy so his bizarre connection with the artist didn't seem too strange.
But then I fell in love with them all in the first series so I've watched this one with a strong prior bias.

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

Newly divorced despondent Ellie was triggered into showing true mettle , (as so often a woman can out perform a man in those type of situations).

I daresay the reaction of the lads in the car would have been different if a man would have thrown the rubbish at them.

Posted by Eirenist (# 13343) on :

No it wouldn't Rosa - except probably more violent!

Posted by Frankly My Dear (# 18072) on :

Oh dear. That last one was the first duff episode of the show's entire history. Adam pushing over and breaking the artwork at the end struck a massive false note - He is simply not that petulant and foolish a person, even in the midst of his guilt-trip, to go quite that far, and do something with such obviously perillous consequences.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Hello, and welcome aboard, Frankly My Dear! Hope you enjoy being on the site. Take some time to look around, and be sure to check out the board intros, as each board works a bit differently to the others.

You'd also be welcome to post a little about yourself on the introductions thread for new people - it's not compulsory, but the denizens are friendly and will be happy to greet you.

Cheers

Ariel
Heaven Host

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who establishes the law - why, the state.
You are still missing the point - but this is a tangent.

quote:
Originally posted by Frankly My Dear:
Oh dear. That last one was the first duff episode of the show's entire history. Adam pushing over and breaking the artwork at the end struck a massive false note - He is simply not that petulant and foolish a person, even in the midst of his guilt-trip, to go quite that far, and do something with such obviously perillous consequences.

I don't think it was a result of petulance - more like a mental breakdown bought on by guilt.

quote:
Oh dear. That last one was the first duff episode of the show's entire history. Adam pushing over and breaking the artwork at the end struck a massive false note - He is simply not that petulant and foolish a person, even in the midst of his guilt-trip, to go quite that far, and do something with such obviously perilous consequences.

I am thinking back to the party at the end of series 1 (one of the best episodes of drama I have ever seen), and I reckon that Adam would be that petulant, if he is pushed - and he was being pushed, from all sides for all sorts of reasons.

And welcome FMD.

I quite understand the thinking that says Adam climbing on to the rostrum and pushing the statue over was OTT .
Yet what followed had me laughing to tears, which is unusual for me at the best of times . It was what someone said up-thread about the 'hypersensitivity over guilt' that made the whole scene work . Adam quickly put 2 and 2 together and came up with about 22 plus . Making out his Church had been desecrated , whereas the real desecration was going on in his head.

The look on the Archdeacon's face, Nigel realising the 60k had clearly gone west . Best of all Colin retrieving the head off the broken statue, with his childlike expression of wanting to please and protect Adam , saying -- it's alright Vicarage it's not your face on it.

OK, I'm coming out as a Rev obsessive .
I watched the *marmite* episode again last night. [Hot and Hormonal]

Maybe the reason it missed to a proportion of viewers was that if the sexual tension theme didn't come through from early on , then bits like Mick coming to the door dressed as 'Sonata' just looked plain silly.

Returning to the end scene . It wasn't really only Colin , but all Adam's friends and associates gently trying to tell him he'd been a dick . Which I guess is what friends and associates are for when it come to it.

This Rev fan now eagerly awaits next Monday's episode . Although I doubt it is Hollander's intention to turn the show into a kind of Rev. Street. If , as rumour has it, there will be no more when this series ends ? I suppose we'll just have to accept it.
[Waterworks] [Waterworks]

[ 12. April 2014, 10:03: Message edited by: rolyn ]

As I understood it, there were no more planned. That means there may or may not be another series - and it might depend on actors availability.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

I just watched this episode on i-player. It seems to be a comedy on male dis-empowerment - I haven't seen many of these, so perhaps that's very much a statement of the obvious. It's hard to imagine Adam throwing a lot of litter into that car and not getting his head kicked in - but easier to imagine a woman getting away with it. And it would be hard to imagine Adam's wife asking him a plaintive 'darling, do you not find me attractive any more?' and him saying 'not really - but why don't you go after that slightly mad guy on the street who just made a sexually aggressive and rather disturbing pass at you; he'll sort you out' - followed shortly by a cheering rapprochement where he says 'sorry I've been a bit off dear - hard day' and she falls gratefully into his arms with a loving smile. Whereas the comedy works just about, the way round it is - at least, it is not deeply incongruous.

This could all be me doing what Adam does at the end - reading his own problems into a piece of art which is not about him at all...

I'm surprised to see several people who didn't like Monday's episode, to me it came across as the most painfully real so far. Several of the storylines have had me thinking 'well, I suppose it could happen in London', but the personal relationships I've seen played out this week are real all over the country, in rural as well as inner city situations. Sadly.

Perhaps people are expecting it to be a laugh-a-minute comedy, whereas it's really a poignant look at life, rather in the vein of 'Roger and Val have just got in'.

Posted by Late Paul (# 37) on :

quote:
Perhaps people are expecting it to be a laugh-a-minute comedy, whereas it's really a poignant look at life, rather in the vein of 'Roger and Val have just got in'.

High praise. Love that show!

Chorister - yes Roger and Val is a similar sense of poignancy and humour.

I suppose seeing it as male dis-empowerment is quite interesting. It works for me, partly.

Posted by beatmenace (# 16955) on :

Yes - I must say I found it one of the strangest and strongest episodes of the series. It picks up on the tensions of the earlier series, particularly series 1. We all knew from series 1 that Adam fancied Ellie and when the opportunity dropped into his hands.....What would he do?

As it turned out - the human and the right thing -almost instantly realizing it was a bad idea and backing off , although Nigel's arrival probably helped!

The setting up of the situation has been excellent as we have been watching the pressure build up on Adam for several episodes now.

Most importantly it has the ring of authenticity -yes, the Art installation is a classic McGuffin - Adam could really have destroyed almost anything which triggered his guilty response - but that wasn't ever supposed to be the 'real story' of this episode.

No doubt the gang of Clergy advisers could 'name a few names' where this exact scenario (although probably without vandalising works of art) has happened in real life.

I can see why some folk don't like it, Micks bit is fairly pointless - but it certainly isn't a 'poor' episode.

Did someone say "hey fuck the vicar of Dibley, lets make fun of the REAL stuff." and not tell me, another great episode.

It was. I watched it through my fingers with painful recognition in fixed eyes (to paraphrase Wilfred Owen)

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

So unbelievably good.

Posted by Cartmel Veteran (# 7049) on :

Excellent episode tonight. I see on Twitter that some of the #RevsforRev brigade don't like it. But this isn't some cosy show made for clergy types to feel smug about together - which until recently it seems many folks of the cloth seemed to think it was*.

It's hard to watch at times. But I like that. It doesn't take any prisoners. It's fabulous stuff. I don't want it to end, but I think it should at the end of this series. Just like Father Ted, it came, it saw, it kicked ass, and left us wanting more.

Joffrey's wedding followed by Rev was an unusually good evening's telly in our house.

*Point of disclosure, Mrs Cartmel Veteran is a vicar

Lovely to see you back, Cartmel Veteran. You've been missed.

Posted by Higgs Bosun (# 16582) on :

I agree that last night's episode was really good. I had my fears after reading a preview. It was not comedy, certainly not belly laugh comedy.

However, I was hooked at the start with the imposition of ashes and knowing the situation of the accountant and the look on his face as he is told to leave his life of sin. The core of the story is Adam's knowledge of his desperate need for forgiveness, and the need to show forgiveness and grace. There is the Gospel there.

Again, the story showed that the writers have received real advice about things. How you do deal with someone coming to your church who is on the sex offenders register was known. (Although it is no longer the CRB but the DBS!)

The end made me misty eyed.

I liked last night's too. It's beyond laughs, except of the painful wry grin of recognition kind. But I think it's using the 'comedy' label to sneak in some serious emotional and moral complexity. Loved 'it's not the tits, it's the heart, Adam'. And the desolate moment when Adam looks at the photograph of Alex that's been trodden on.

quote:
Lovely to see you back, Cartmel Veteran. You've been missed.

Thankyouverymuch [Smile]

Likewise [Smile] . Also liked the episode and, in context, it raised in a funny way my experience of the previous week's one.

Posted by Felafool (# 270) on :

Last night's episode was IMHO the most powerful, most true to life, of a great programme series. I want all the ordinamds I'm responsible for to watch it, and I think this should be compulsory viewing for anyone training for ministry of any sort, and possibly compulsory viewing for everyone in the church!
There but for the grace of God go I. In fact, sometimes even despite the grace of God, there go I.

Ow. That was painfully good. The topic of forgiveness - needed and given - and the lack of forgiveness from people who should know better.

The end, where clearly Adam and Colins dog were the only ones who could find forgiveness for him, was touching. There is humour throughout, but it is the dark comedy of recognition.

As I said to someone on twitter, and is even more emphasised by this episode, the series is about Adam being a Christian, despite all the stuff around him, and in him. Despite the church, despite his own failings, despite other well-meaning sorts, Adam manages, usually, to show the gritty reality of God.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

I liked this week's episode too - and I guess the previous one, that quite a few people didn't like so much (including me) was needed to set this one up. Worth it though.

Another great episode which was, again, even in Creamtealand (rural idyll?!) very true to life. These issues really happen in parishes (although they don't usually all happen at once in the same parish!).

The Archbishop of Canterbury has poured cold water on it in the new Radio Times - pointing out that there are lots of growing churches planting new churches because they are full to bursting.

It is almost a repeat pf his gaffe on Radio 4 which said that where there is a good vicar there is a growing church.

I think the ABC has made a real blunder by being critical of the show as it represents real life. I think, in my experience, it does represent many aspects of clerical life. Yes, it is a caricature, but that is the nature of drama over documentary.

He would have done a whole lot better to accept that it does reflect the work that many hard working clergy do. Rather than pretend that everything is fine in many places.

I think it fails to represent the CofE in that Adam is far more approachable, reasonable, and spiritually minded than many clergy I have known.

Not the belly laughs of last week , dealing as it did with a different and difficult topic . It contained a salutary tale to anyone addicted to hard porn believing it can't possibly lead to any harm.
Colin was used as the bluntest of instruments as often is his role .

I felt the main comedy lines went to Alex , esp. when Adam tried to claim that kissing Ellie was an 'accident'.

A little more revealed on the mystery of Nigel's girlfriend maybe ? Not sure as to the authenticity of that photo of the two of them.

Posted by Tyler Durden (# 2996) on :

The best line/exchange was surely:

Colin: Are you a paedo too? Did you meet him at paedo club?
Adam: There's no such thing as paedo club.
Colin: The first rule of paedo club is 'You don't talk about paedo club'.

Posted by Jante (# 9163) on :

I thought the best line went to Nigel- "Its God that does the forgiving not you Adam" !

Powerful stuff, and very close indeed to home.....

Ian J.

'Its God's job to forgive not yours....'

Its the killer line.

You can see the Clergy Advisors at work here as this is so true to life. Its a Pastoral Situation which must be increasingly common.

Such a good episode echoing the Gospels. 'Spot the unforgiving servants ......'. And of course, the point is that, given this situation, it could easily be us.

I do think Alex's line near the end is incredibly deep "I am also aware of how little we have seen of each other lately, so I think the best thing might be to see more of each other not less".

It just struck me that there is something divine in this: the answer to a problem like this, where forgiveness is needed, is not to get further away, but to get nearer.

Gods answer to our sin was not to get further away, but to come nearer. This should have been the answer for the sex offender - not to distance oneself, but to spend more time together.

"Don't tread on my vicar!"

This whole episode was gold. Sad, real and with some warmth.

Posted by Lord Jestocost (# 12909) on :

I couldn't quite buy Colin being on the PCC, but I suppose he's a better choice than Mick and they had to have someone.

But other than that - what everyone else said. Our congregation will actually be in a similar position in a couple of years time when a particular individual is released from prison ... will be interesting to see what happens then.

My only real problem with the show this week is that Adam never stands up to Colin. He let Colin chase the would-be treasurer off at the end. In most episodes Adam validates Colin's behaviour by his inaction.

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

I think I agree with you here Cartmel Veteran...sometimes Adam lets himself be walked over just a tad too much to be believable. Having said that, I found this to be an incredibly moving episode.

Hmm. I think he chooses his battles. He does sometimes stand up to people. But there is no point in trying to argue with Colin. Adam tolerates him, because challenging him throws up too many issues.

quote:
Originally posted by Cartmel Veteran:
My only real problem with the show this week is that Adam never stands up to Colin.

I guess Adam hasn't forgotten the drunken head-butt he received at Christmas the one time when he did try and remonstrate with Colin .

quote:
Hmm. I think he chooses his battles. He does sometimes stand up to people. But there is no point in trying to argue with Colin. Adam tolerates him, because challenging him throws up too many issues.

The problem with Adam (or anyone else) taking that approach is that by doing so you give tacit approval to the offensive behaviour. By not standing up to Colin this week, it looked like Adam approved of running that bloke off church grounds.

I've seen plenty of this in the real world. Someone says something stupid to vicar, vicar remains silent, and later you hear "the vicar agrees with me when I say..."

I know that's part of what makes the show what it is, and Adam what he is. And so it doesn't so much annoy me on TV as when people do it in the real world. [Smile]

And Adam also gets to snog Lucy Liemann and Olivia Coleman.

What I would give for that......

Adam's brief intimacy with Ellie did say a lot about vicars who fall off the fidelity wagon .
I should imagine it's a very difficult line to toe for vicars who have regular contact with vulnerable folk.

quote:
Adam's brief intimacy with Ellie did say a lot about vicars who fall off the fidelity wagon .
I should imagine it's a very difficult line to toe for vicars who have regular contact with vulnerable folk.

Not really, one of little known the perks of ordination is sex-pot partners who keep us satiated.

I'm comforted to learn that .

You know this business about David Cameron saying Britain is a Christian country? I really hope (though I doubt) he means Britain is a lot like Rev. You know, sweary, people being crap but trying to be better, and sometimes the grace of God seems to break in.

Who's watching?

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

I am. Have only seen one episode previously (the one with the statue) and been unimpressed but giving it another go as I'm sure I'm missing something.

Posted by Miss Madrigal (# 15528) on :

There are mornings when I would appreciate the officiant taking Archdeacon Robert's approach to the liturgy.

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

I'm watching. Think it is quite a sad episode this week.

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

What was the beautiful piece of music that was being played as Adam was walking down the street with the cross?

Nodded sadly as the bishop washed his hands.

I still think I'm missing something... Is it trying to say clergy often feel as though they're walking the way of the cross in an exact way like that?

Nen - feeling obtuse.

They were a bit heavy handed with the imagery (Colin denying Adam 3 times before the car alarm went off) but it was still wonderful. And they made me cry, the buggers.

I missed the critical bit with Liam Neeson on the hill, cos the baby woke up!

Please explain to me why it was wonderful... [Confused] [Frown]

Posted by St Everild (# 3626) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
What was the beautiful piece of music that was being played as Adam was walking down the street with the cross?

Pie Jesu from Faures "Requiem"

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Gobsmacked.

Loved it. It's all a bit in the wrong order - but stripping the altar and leaving the church in darkness and silence at the end... perfect.

Are we in for a happy ending do you think?

Nenya, there's a whole heap of back story coming together which makes tonight's story so wonderful. Adam Smallbone had been beset on all sides by the hierarchy of the church, his congregation, his fellow clergy and his own failings. Tonight he reached the bedrock of his faith. I've never been in the same place as that character, but I recognise the feeling. To get that from a regular series broadcast on national television is indeed a wonder.

I found it very moving and was fighting back the tears

Nenya - I find it wonderful as a series because it rings very true with my (non clergy person) experience of church. The people who sweep in asking about how we're going to "BE church" as a cover for cutting - I might have mentioned that before. The endless initiatives. The people who aren't perfect - in fact they're a bit rubbish but they try to be better. The prayers. The way Adam tried to justify his behaviour. Adam & Alex's relationship seems fairly real to me. Having to get on with people in the church who drive you a bit crazy.

Not all of it makes me laugh, but a lot of it is familiar. And the sometimes desperate hanging on to a dwindling faith, with all the doubts.

Er, perhaps I read more into it than is really there! [Hot and Hormonal]

[Sorry I cross posted with lots of people!]

[ 21. April 2014, 21:45: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

No I don't think there'll be a happy ending - at least I think St Saviour's will close.

Thanks, MissM and Jemima. [Smile]

I'll just head for bed, I think. [Smile]

Edited as some cross-posting. [Smile]

[ 21. April 2014, 21:48: Message edited by: Nenya ]

*sniff*

Continued when, though? Are the rumours of a film true?

I could totally get behind a God who looks like Liam Neeson.

That was genuinely one of the best 30 mins of television I've seen for a very long time.

quote:
*sniff*

Next week, episode 6

quote:
*sniff*

2200 next Monday presumably, given that was episode 5 of 6...

Alrighty! I'd miscounted and thought we were at the end. My TV listings didn't say anything helpful like 5/6 after the episode, and then when they started selling the box set during the credits I assumed that was the last.

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
That was genuinely one of the best 30 mins of television I've seen for a very long time.

Absobloodylutely.

Posted by iamchristianhearmeroar (# 15483) on :

Ruddy bloody brilliant! At least we only have to wait until next week to find out what happens, unlike with Endeavour...

Posted by lapsed heathen (# 4403) on :

Hmmmmm, imagery a bit heavy handed but then again the audience their aiming for might need that.
I thought it was excellent, a superb culmination of the series. All the episodes up to this seemed to come together really well as we walked with Adam along the road carting his cross. I know he brought it on himself but that's kinda the point. We are not capable of it alone and without faith we can't find our way.
The writing in this is so good, lots of lovely small throw away lines that entertain, characters that seem real and a story with a beginning, middle and end.
Clever enough to amuse those of us who get the in jokes and specific observations, without becoming too self aware that it looses it primary purpose, telling a story.
Some times TV is just good and sometimes it's better than good. This is one of the latter times.
Can you tell I'm a fan!

Oh yeah and they did mention pre booking series 3!
Happy out!

Posted by Pia (# 17277) on :

Gosh... Doesn't bode well for Nigel though...

Magnificent TV, awesome. The way they balance between comedy and serious is very good; what is funny is also semi-tragic. Loved Liam Neeson as God.

quote:
Not really, one of little known the perks of ordination is sex-pot partners who keep us satiated.

I didn't realise it was an official role I had in my parish. I shall have to put "sex-pot partner" on my business card now. [Smile]

[ 21. April 2014, 22:59: Message edited by: Cartmel Veteran ]

quote:
Another great episode which was, again, even in Creamtealand (rural idyll?!) very true to life. These issues really happen in parishes (although they don't usually all happen at once in the same parish!).

A mere 20 miles or so away from you yet my perspective on Rev is that it is nothing like life in Creamtealand. Perhaps different away from the moor???

It's becoming for rather a caricature with its causes and inability to address some serious issues (pastoral irresponsibility particularly).

quote:

It's becoming for rather a caricature with its causes and inability to address some serious issues (pastoral irresponsibility particularly).

Rev is not a show designed to be a back-slapping exercise for members of the CofE. It's not the official vicar-procedural television show of Anglicanism. Thank goodness.

quote:
I found it very moving and was fighting back the tears

I was alright watching the episode.

This morning though , reflecting on the bit where Adam carried the cross through the street of drunks and revellers , then falling over while hallucinating ? OK , I too was filling up, and is was impossible to tell this feeling was one of joy or sadness.

A few people seem to be taking the show too seriously or too literally. If it were being presented as a serious drama, then I'd be picking holes in it for wild factual inaccuracies, but it's not a serious drama, neither is it supposed to be. I see it more like a cartoon where the people and situations are exaggerated.

Of course the characters a caricatures - that's what makes it such a great programme. Archdeacon Robert is a classic pantomime villain (two archdeacons of my acquaintance both say he's their favourite character. I suspect they secretly want to be like him). Characters such as Adoha, Colin and Mick are rather grotesque caricatures of real people I'm sure many of us have met and I see each of those characters as several people all rolled into one.

As for the storylines, it's been well documented that a lot of the situations portrayed are based on real events although, as Chorister pointed out upthread, for all these things to happen at the same time, in the same place and to the same person would be extremely unusual, but they do happen.

Even if the storylines aren't 100% accurate they still highlight important issues. In last night's episode, the scene where Adam walks into the church to discover the Area Dean and Diocesan Secretary measuring up and calculating the value of the building was extremely far fetched to say the least, yet it demonstrated the insensitivity often shown by the church hierarchy in difficult situations and the entire episode (but particularly the meetings Adam had with the Archdeacon and the Bishop) really brought home a complaint I often hear about the lack of any decent pastoral care for the clergy when their lives are turning into shit.

I liken Rev to the Dilbert cartoons I used to follow religiously in my previous life as a database programmer. I knew Dilbert wasn't real, but could identify with every single character and situation. Those who don't get Rev are either missing the point of what it's supposed to be, or live in a different world.

ETA: And yes, last night's episode almost had me in tears as well.

[ 22. April 2014, 11:21: Message edited by: Spike ]

Found it very moving

I admire the script-writers, as they could have settled for a pretty funny series, with good actors, but they have taken it to a darker place, which gives it added depth. Comedies about vicars have often been quite cosy really; this isn't.

Posted by The Great Gumby (# 10989) on :

Just hopping back to this...
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
I couldn't quite buy Colin being on the PCC, but I suppose he's a better choice than Mick and they had to have someone.

Of course. St Saviour's isn't just the sort of place where the PCC is anyone who's mad enough to be on it (which is most churches), but more like the kind of place where they'll literally have anyone to make it less embarrassingly small, and it ends up consisting of the same few people who are the core of a meagre congregation. I've known stranger PCC members than Colin.

Now, as for this week - the symbolism was a little OTT for my taste, especially towards the end, but could be forgiven for a more general audience. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that the figures being quoted for the property value of St Saviour's were based on a quick check online for the current cost of 30 pieces of silver.

I don't know what to make of the early morning vision on the bench, especially coming after a long series of obvious hallucinations. I was happy for it to be left hanging, but didn't feel that it fitted very well for Adam to then claim to have seen God. I'm now hoping that the same mysterious character turns up again in a more normal context, because that moment and his interpretation don't seem to sit very well with Adam's usual brand of faith, doubt and general humanity. I hope they tread carefully.

I thought from quite early in the series that we seemed to be heading for a downbeat and pretty final conclusion, but the narrative arc now seems to demand something at least partly uplifting. I suspect Adam's going to give it all up and find a job where he can be happy and make a difference. I can't decide whether he'll end up as a contented pew-filler or someone who feels he needs to walk away completely, but he'll probably feel more comfortable in his own skin either way.

I really hope they don't make it completely happy and lovely, though, because that wouldn't strike the right note.

Posted by Amika (# 15785) on :

I didn't like the 'meeting with God' part, not least because 'God' initially spouted a series of trite sayings. The whole scene came across as trite to me.

There is a depth of sadness in this series (more than the previous ones, even) that doesn't look like it will be assuaged. Thank goodness for the Archdeacon, definitely my favourite character. I don't see him as a 'baddie', but more of an ambivalent character, and we're never quite sure whether he's on Adam's side or not. He seems to take pleasure in his discomfiture while secretly supporting him - or that's how I see it.

Either way, it's an excellent series, a different kind of comedy from the run-of-the-mill we mostly get these days.

quote:
Originally posted by Amika:
I didn't like the 'meeting with God' part, not least because 'God' initially spouted a series of trite sayings....... the Archdeacon, definitely my favourite character. I don't see him as a 'baddie', but more of an ambivalent character, and we're never quite sure whether he's on Adam's side or not.

Maybe vicars make God in their own image - vicars tend to come out with trite sayings.

And the archdeacon - a bit like God - you never know if her is on your side or not.

That was very powerful. Actually, coming over the Easter weekend, it served as my Easter bout of religion.

The imagery was overdone, but that is the nature of drama - it is all overdone, to a degree. But it was powerful - it was not overdone to the point of being parody, but to the point of intensity instead.

What also struck me is that, throughout, we have assumed that somehow the church would be saved. I mean, it is an important community, doing some good work. The shocker is that the church has not survived. However good and important the work is, the church has closed.

I am also struck by the fact that it is Nigels complaint that has closed his church, and he will probably be the one most deeply affected by this.

Will there be resurrection? I suspect there will be, for Adam, but not for the church. That seems to be the theme this series - Adam can survive, but over and against the church system, not with it.

quote:

What also struck me is that, throughout, we have assumed that somehow the church would be saved. I mean, it is an important community, doing some good work. The shocker is that the church has not survived. However good and important the work is, the church has closed.

Weeeell, maybe. Although, noting as you did the heaviness of the symbolism, I'd say those closed doors at the end last night are just waiting to be flung open to let the light through the windows again....

We shall see, anyway.

It may not be the conclusion, but for now, the church has closed. We are left at the end of Ep 5 with the church closed, despite all that it does. And this having had a valuation of 6M.

Yes, I suspect that there will be something more next week. While I don't think it is the end of the church, I think it does serve as an ending, however temporary.

Given where the church they use for filming is, the land is in very high demand. I suspect that the land - irrespective of the presence of a building - would easily fetch 10M. Somewhere, you have to justify maintaining a location like this at a cost of half a million per congregation member.

quote:
Alrighty! I'd miscounted and thought we were at the end.

That's what people thought on Good Friday, too.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:

Yes, I suspect that there will be something more next week. While I don't think it is the end of the church, I think it does serve as an ending, however temporary.

Yes .... assuming this week was the Passion, next week maybe the Resurrection?

I think I spotted something in this week's Episode which may be a clue as to what format the 'Resurrection' of the church might take. Won't say any more now, but it will be interesting to see if my spidey senses are right...

Very poignant and moving (whatever did you see, Chorister? Thanks to iPlayer, I might just go back and see if I can spot it, too!).

Lots of artistic licence, of course - closing an Anglican parish church (unless it's literally falling down) is a looooooooong procedure.....and one of our neighbouring churches is going down that lonely and desolate road at the moment. In their case, there is a suspicion that TPTB are asset-stripping, though I doubt if the sale of the church, hall, and parsonage would fetch anything like £6m!!

Did anyone notice the young chap who asked Adam if he needed a hand with the cross? Not quite Simon of Cyrene.......

Ian J.

Awesome, an out and out Passion Play.

Oh Lord may the Easter Sunday be written as well as the Good Friday.

I was GOBSMACKED, again and again. God, Pilate, Peter, Judas, Mary, Mary, denial, forsakenness and defeated despair. Turned on by those he loved, forgiven by her whom he hurt.

Awesome.

Please DEAR GOD do not let the last one descend into schmaltz, please let the empty tomb be filled with angels light. For the broken Adam, only ever a sigil of us all.

Also; LAIM NIELSON!!!!!! LOL Awesome!!!!

Pyx_e

Nigel or Ellie as Judas?

Passion Play? Yes, indeed - almost mediaeval in graphic power........

......and I still have NO IDEA what trace of hope Chorister has seen!

Ian J.

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Nigel or Ellie as Judas?

Nigel.

Ellie is the other, worldly Mary.

[ 22. April 2014, 20:38: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

Don't forget the archdeacon. Who was he? Herod or Caiaphus?

I know this sounds daft but: the Holy Spirit, the advocate.

Hmm....he certainly seems to be more supportive to Adam than in earlier episodes.....

Ian J.

My gleam of hope is this: the church is closed, but for what? Demolition and sale of the land, or renewal of the wiring? Why put up those temporary lights if you're just going to pull the whole thing down...

Conversion into accommodation for the homeless (e.g. Colin), with community facilities, and a smaller, better-designed worship area for the parish congregation? Not likely - far too imaginative for the C of E....or is it??

Ian J.

I'm saying nothing. Yet.

Meanwhile, Pyx_e gets it.

[ 22. April 2014, 21:24: Message edited by: Chorister ]

I rather suspect that Chorister's mind is moving on a higher plane than mine!

[Overused]

Ian J.

Posted by ginaceltia (# 17312) on :

whose knocking on the door?

and why are there two Katies in next week's cast listings

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Welcome to The Ship btw, Ginaceltia.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posted by Zoey (# 11152) on :

There have been two Katies in the cast listings / credits throughout the series - both with the surname Cruz. I've been assuming that, TV filming not being an ideal environment for very small children, identical twins are being used to play 10-month old Katie, thereby decreasing the amount of time each baby has to spend on set in the role.

[ 22. April 2014, 23:36: Message edited by: Zoey ]

quote:

Yes.

I was utterly gobsmacked by how well this episode was put together, and how the whole series has been leading us towards it.

Unfortunately, betrayal isn't that unusual in parish ministry.

I may be reading too much into the writing, but it's easy to see how Nigel's thwarted vocation (been there, got the T shirt) has eaten away at his relationship with Adam and finally exploded as he sees the future of St Saviour's jeopardised by his inadequacies.

Posted by Jolly Jape (# 3296) on :

quote:

Not strange at all, P, spot on.

I have the strange feeling that Robert will turn out to be the hero of the series.

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
quote:

I have the strange feeling that Robert will turn out to be the hero of the series.
Again, I don't think that's strange at all either - although I don't by any means claim to have spotted what others seem to have spotted, I've been quite clear from series 1 episode 1 3 or 4 years ago that the archdeacon is annoying and a cause of great stress, but actually right and acting in the best interest of Adam and the Church. For me he's always been the co-lead.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Did anyone notice the young chap who asked Adam if he needed a hand with the cross? Not quite Simon of Cyrene.......

..... I did . The senses had become sharpened after Colin's denial and the cock-crow in the form a burglar alarm going off in the chicken takeaway .

'Want a hand with that mate' -- spoken with just the right intonation . So brief, yet communicating genuine concern towards someone who was in a place of very few friends.

quote:
quote:

Not strange at all, P, spot on.

Me too. And I might have said so 4 pages ago. Not that I'm smug or anything. Oh no. Not a bit of it. [Biased] I can't see what Chorister can see though...

The latest to add to the list of Things Which Are Great About Rev (apart from Liam Neeson as God) is the educational value. I only wish I'd known about "How to complain about a clergyperson" many years ago.

Posted by Lord Jestocost (# 12909) on :

quote:
The latest to add to the list of Things Which Are Great About Rev (apart from Liam Neeson as God) is the educational value. I only wish I'd known about "How to complain about a clergyperson" many years ago.

Article 70, or whatever it was, might need a new line at the end: "NB the complainee may not be mollified just because you have technically followed all the correct procedures."

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
quote:

Article 70, or whatever it was, might need a new line at the end: "NB the complainee may not be mollified just because you have technically followed all the correct procedures."
...but following the correct proceedure would be a goodsstart, not to mention a pleasant change. [Mad]

Sorry, Jt9, didn't spot that.

Don't read too much into me 'spotting something'. It's probably nothing significant. But then again...

Posted by Karl Kroenen (# 16822) on :

He was betrayed by Judas (Nigel) by means of a kiss (Ellis). Robert conducted the trial. Colin denied him 3 X before the 'Massive Cock' crowed. Herod (Bishop) washed his hands of him. The young fella offered to carry the cross...I've just watched it again and picked up half a dozen things I missed the first time. Still leaves me questioning the significance of other bits - for example why did the Bishop seem hungover? There must be some relevance to that surely? Other bits and pieces also have left me wondering if I've missed something.....I can't wait until next week.

quote:
Sorry, Jt9, didn't spot that.

Ha! Don't be daft. I was just showing off. [Big Grin]

Yes, why did the Bishop have a headache? The way he flinched at the light made it look more like a migraine to me (as a sufferer). Or perhaps I'm just reading meaning into everything now.....

Never have I looked forward to telly so much as I am next week's episode.

I'm still not sure that Nigel is Judas though.

After discussions in the balaam household we have Nigel as the Sanhedrin, all rules and no compassion. Not that it really matters, if we over anylise we could spoil what was a superb episode.

Posted by Abigail (# 1672) on :

quote:

Yes, why did the Bishop have a headache? The way he flinched at the light made it look more like a migraine to me (as a sufferer). Or perhaps I'm just reading meaning into everything now.....
[/QB]

Wasn’t the Bishop’s headache just a clumsy way of explaining why he needed to wash his hands…

(He needed an aspirin – Adam offered him one – then couldn’t find it and gave him chocolate instead – that made his hands sticky and he had to wash them…)

Posted by Abigail (# 1672) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Karl Kroenen:
... Herod (Bishop) washed his hands of him...

Wasn’t that Pilate, not Herod?

Yes, the Bishop is indeed Pilate ('I find no fault in him').

Not sure about the headache, but Pilate was also having an off day (what with the Jews, Herod, and his wife all banging on at him......).

Ian J.

Of course it's Pilate, how daft of me. [Roll Eyes]

I also got the impression that the bishop found the whole process and situation a difficult one. There was something of his pain with the situation he was in.

But I suspect at core, it was to give him a reason to wash his hands.

My prediction is that the Archdeacon will turn out to be Joseph of Arimathea, and be instrumental in providing Adam with a bolt hole from which he can be rescued/raised. A gay person can't be portrayed as a total baddie these days.

I don't agree that Nigel isn't really Judas after all. The two harpies are the Sanhedrin. It is expedient that the church be sold for the diocese's funds.

That church, by the way, would be difficult to dispose of for offices. It's too architectural. It's not some ghastly faux-gothic thing in 'correct' Decorated, with encaustic tiles and pitch pine pews. You'd have English Heritage getting in the way.

In The Master and Margherita Pilate has a headache. Maybe that's why the bishop has to take an aspirin?

I am thinking about Pentecost, and wondering if the church will be reborn in a new form without Ada and without the building.

[ 24. April 2014, 09:12: Message edited by: Niminypiminy ]

quote:
That church, by the way, would be difficult to dispose of for offices. It's too architectural. It's not some ghastly faux-gothic thing in 'correct' Decorated, with encaustic tiles and pitch pine pews. You'd have English Heritage getting in the way.

You forget the solution of a convenient fire. It happens.

quote:
In The Master and Margherita Pilate has a headache. Maybe that's why the bishop has to take an aspirin?

I am thinking about Pentecost, and wondering if the church will be reborn in a new form without Ada and without the building.

Ah. A Fresh Expression.

I think also, there is deliberate echoing of other works. There were one or two Pasolini bits.

Was there any significance to the three knocks heard just after the Church is darkened at the end?

quote:
Was there any significance to the three knocks heard just ar the Church is darkened at the end?

It would be pretty cool if it were Liam Neeson trying to get in for a kip. You know, foxes have holes, and all that.

I only hope - and pray - that after all this discussion, we're not disappointed.....!! [Ultra confused]

Ian J.

quote:
Was there any significance to the three knocks heard just after the Church is darkened at the end?

How about Tenebrae? It was a custom to slam shut the books at the end. Now that tenebrae is out of fashion, some have transferred that action to the end of Ps. 22 when the altars have been stripped on Maundy Thursday.

Re speculation about the final episode, I would like it to have Adam transferred to another church where lay reader isn't such a prat.

However, after reading the Radio Times, I suspect will end on a very unhappy note.

Even if transferred to another church (God help 'em!), Nigel would still be a total prat.

Better he be exterminated.

Ian J.

quote:
Even if transferred to another church (God help 'em!), Nigel would still be a total prat.

I would think the news that Nigel was a complainant against his incumbent would leak out. A Reader/LLM is licensed to a specific incumbent, so any transfer would need that incumbent's acceptance. His current Warden of Readers would be asked "Is Nigel 'safe to receive'?". Guess the answer...

quote:

It actually sits North of Spitalfields, an area where they have not always gone down the preservation route as they should, or might in other places.

Money talks. A church worth a couple of million might not get sold and reconverted. A church worth 10-15 million might find the route is rather easier for a "tasteful" conversion.

I happen to know that about 10 minutes walk away, there is a whole lot of fuss over the redevelopment of the old London Fruit and Wool Exchange. I believe the developers have won that one.

Alison Graham in the Radio Times is very melancholy about the way Rev has gone, in the short piece introducing Monday, and her longer column at the front. And there's a nice piece about the palindromic Colin.

It is too sad.

To be comic it doesn't have to be laugh-a-minute, a more fitting expression would be 'black humour'. Like they say about Shakespeare, it's 'a tragedy, a comedy, a melodrama'.

quote:

Why did the Bishop have a headache? The way he flinched at the light made it look more like a migraine to me (as a sufferer). Or perhaps I'm just reading meaning into everything now.....

Yes, what with that, and the other analysis, are we going a bit davinci code over a sit-com about a downtrodden vicar ? [Razz]
Not really . I'm lovin this thread and positively can't wait to see comment on the final episode .

BTW . Offering chocolate to someone with a headache did seem strange, cocoa often makes headaches worse.
Was the chocolate symbolic of secular Easter ? And maybe the Bishop's headache is symbolic of the CofE's current collective headache .......

[Razz] But but but, it's the best telly there's been for months, and great telly deserves endless over-analysis! I haven't had this much fun since Sherlock! [Big Grin]

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

If Nigel is Judas, who has offered him money ?

Good question. The evil Diocesan Sec & Area Dean? Or if not money, perhaps opportunity of advancement? ("Anyone can see how wasted your talents are here, Nigel....") Though it probably couldn't work like that logistically.

I've just completed an online survey on 'Rev' for "Christian Surveys", having been invited to do so by email. No idea who they are. However, I did not check the "don't send me the results" box, so I might be able to post a link to the results here in due course.

Posted by tomsk (# 15370) on :

Balaam said:"After discussions in the balaam household we have Nigel as the Sanhedrin, all rules and no compassion. "

Yes, Law not grace.

I loved it. Adam stops striving, gets to the end of himself and meets God.

It's sad, but truthful, that the behaviour of the parishoners is destroying the thing they love.

I think the series is so well written that it copes with very intense analysis. That doesn't mean there will not be issues or discrepancies found by this, but that there is a whole lot of meaning in the shows - this davinci-like analysis is built in.

But it is built into the whole series, of which there is still one episode to go. Some of the analysis may have to wait for the final episode, because we don't yet have all of the information.

It is worth considering that ep 3 was generally disliked here. But it was crucial to the last two episodes. What is more, in the context of the whole series so far, it made a lot of sense.

At 6 episodes, they can make it almost like a single story, with sub aspects.

One of the more interesting aspects (from my perspective) is the unpopularity SC alludes too. I think these episodes are less well liked because they are uncomfortable and the "hero" is seen to be weak, frail and hurt by the outrageous slings and arrows. We want and expect our heroes to be steely eyed and untouchable. Adam is so not that.

What is disturbing my Christianity is the (always known) truth that Christ was not like that either. Nothing else has recently shown me how He was truly lost and hurt, not some blue eyed wonderkid but a person, hated for trying to do His best, by everyone, friend and foe alike.

Deeply moving and challenging.

Fly Safe

Pyx_e

[ 25. April 2014, 08:48: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
I've just completed an online survey on 'Rev' for "Christian Surveys", having been invited to do so by email. No idea who they are. However, I did not check the "don't send me the results" box, so I might be able to post a link to the results here in due course.

Ditto.

quote:
One of the more interesting aspects (from my perspective) is the unpopularity SC alludes too. I think these episodes are less well liked because they are uncomfortable and the "hero" is seen to be weak, frail and hurt by the outrageous slings and arrows. ...

I don't think that's the problem at all. It's much more that this series hitherto has been comedy and trailed as such. We've no problem with the central figure in a comedy series being a bit inept or even vulnerable, whatever that overused word means.

Where this series has suddenly become more challenging is that it's turned serious in two ways that leave viewers unsure how to take it. The obvious one was the strong echo last Monday of the Via Dolorosa. The more subtle one, though, which has been building up particularly since the statue scene, is that is it funny to watch a decent person - who isn't a total prat like Basil Fawlty - falling apart, emotionally, psychically and spiritually?

Posted by Frankly My Dear (# 18072) on :

Sorry, folks, but, having sat through the whole series now, I regard the breaking of the artwork as this programme's 'jump the shark' moment. Since then, there has been one implausibility and overblown reaction after another, and then an all-too-obvious headlong rush into some grand theological flourishes. Ruined it for me.

quote:
quote:
One of the more interesting aspects (from my perspective) is the unpopularity SC alludes too. I think these episodes are less well liked because they are uncomfortable and the "hero" is seen to be weak, frail and hurt by the outrageous slings and arrows. ...

I don't think that's the problem at all. It's much more that this series hitherto has been comedy and trailed as such. We've no problem with the central figure in a comedy series being a bit inept or even vulnerable, whatever that overused word means.

Where this series has suddenly become more challenging is that it's turned serious in two ways that leave viewers unsure how to take it. The obvious one was the strong echo last Monday of the Via Dolorosa. The more subtle one, though, which has been building up particularly since the statue scene, is that is it funny to watch a decent person - who isn't a total prat like Basil Fawlty - falling apart, emotionally, psychically and spiritually?

Yes, I think that's a good point. For me, this is its greatness and audacity, that it is balancing between comedy and tragedy, a very difficult thing to do. Very few artists can manage it, maybe Dickens, although he tends to fall into pathos.

I just think that contemporary TV is scaling amazing heights today.

quote:
Sorry, folks, but, having sat through the whole series now, I regard the breaking of the artwork as this programme's 'jump the shark' moment. Since then, there has been one implausibility and overblown reaction after another, and then an all-too-obvious headlong rush into some grand theological flourishes. Ruined it for me.

Yes, a lot (most?) of it is implausible. As I said earlier, if it were a serious drama I'd be picking all sorts of holes in it, but it isn't so I'm not.

Implausible, yes, but still extremely well written and brilliantly acted by all the cast.

quote:
quote:

It's never been purely comedy. From the beginning, there's been a dark, poignant side to it. If anyone thought it was just comedy, they were missing the point in a big way. And to prove that this isn't 20/20 hindsight, I said it wasn't exactly comedy even before this series started.

Go back to the first series - look at the story of how the window got smashed. How Adam was both attracted and repulsed by Darren's slick performance. How he's always caught between what's expedient or convenient, and various muddled and unclear ideas of what the right thing would be. I'll give you that this series has got darker, but that element has always been there.

quote:
[Razz] But but but, it's the best telly there's been for months, and great telly deserves endless over-analysis! I haven't had this much fun since Sherlock! [Big Grin]

Absolutely [Big Grin] Rev. is pure gold .

It gets to the stage you only have to see Archdeacon Robert pull one of those expressions, or for Colin to utter a sentence, and you're right in the zone.

BTW. Did anyone else see what looked like Ellie in the Passion sequence ? It was the quickest of shots, (had to freeze frame it), where she looked very much like the traditionally held version of Mary Magdalene .

If we are to be doing symbolic Resurrection in the last episode , my prediction is Adam and Ellie will make a go of it, and set up a charismatic church .
Hope I'm wrong , hate spoilers [Biased]

quote:
... If we are to be doing symbolic Resurrection in the last episode , my prediction is Adam and Ellie will make a go of it, and set up a charismatic church .
Hope I'm wrong , hate spoilers [Biased]

So do I. That would be really bad theology. Adam is married to Alex.

And besides, who in their right mind (as Adam obviously is) would leave Olivia Coleman [Axe murder] ?

I've been PMd by another shipmate who has spotted exactly the same thing as me. Interesting.

Only three days to go (as the cognoscenti said on Good Friday.....)

quote:
And besides, who in their right mind (as Adam obviously is) would leave Olivia Coleman [Axe murder] ?

Hear, hear. [Yipee]

quote:

Well, for Lucy Liemann, it would be a real problem.

(I love them both. Adam gets both of them, albeit with one threatening to tear his bollocks off if he touches the other).

I think the real power of the series for me is that I am Adam. A lot of the time, the things that reflect my faith are ridiculous - that was reflected in the earlier episodes, and is the comedy of the series.

At the same time, Adam is trying really hard to be a faithful Christian. He doesn't always manage it, but he knows when he gets it wrong. He is so often on his own - supported by Alex, but still, his spiritual journey is a solitary one.

And that is the power and the genius of it. Sometimes it is implausible, but it is a creative exploration of what faith means.

I have never carried a large cross through the high street. But I have been there with him. Often. I know what it means.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Go back to the first series - look at the story of how the window got smashed. How Adam was both attracted and repulsed by Darren's slick performance. How he's always caught between what's expedient or convenient, and various muddled and unclear ideas of what the right thing would be. I'll give you that this series has got darker, but that element has always been there.

Yes, I think you're right - the dangerous attraction to Ellie was there from the early days as well.

I've only just seen the most recent episode and I found it very touching. You could say that it some ways it was predictable, but it was still fresh. I applaud it for trying to say something real about Christianity that speaks to both believers and non-believers. I think it's an example of what Keats called 'negative capability' - the ability to rest creatively in ambiguity and uncertainty.

quote:

If we are to be doing symbolic Resurrection in the last episode , my prediction is Adam and Ellie will make a go of it, and set up a charismatic church .

I recall him being negative about charismatic churches in the episode about that slick-evo guy. Adam comes across as being MOR.

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
quote:

I recall him being negative about charismatic churches in the episode about that slick-evo guy. Adam comes across as being MOR.
Adam fell and sustained a head injury and then saw a vision of God. So the way of the Cross might have been doing double duty as the road to Damascus. If Saul became fairly charismatic I suppose Adam might too. However in my professional opinion, I'm a Registered Nurse by trade, I think he needs to get that injury sorted out soon because they can turn very nasty if neglected.

3 day coma ?

Ah Ha ! Nice one DT .

Yes, I've got it now . Adam goes into a delayed coma after his fall , Ellie thinks he's dead and goes into grief realising she loved him all along . Then he wakes up, and then they ride off into the sunset having created a new religion in the process.....

< Nerd Alert -- I've just watched the episode a 3rd time, have now deleted it as I don't wish to become the Rev. version of a Trekkie > [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Late Paul (# 37) on :

The thing that struck me most was the fact that after "meeting God" the next thing Adam did was resign. This puzzled me at first because from the usual TV/movie story-telling point of view, the Liam Neeson moment was the "turning point" after which the main character clearly sees his path and proceeds to do the right thing which then resolves the plot (happily usually).

But of course in this case many of us will not think of him resigning as the "right" thing necessarily (I mean right in a story sense as well as morally. Adam's fundamentally a good guy and a decent priest and therefore should "win" and not have to give it up.) AND there's still a part two so there's more plot to come and the turning point is not as close to the end as it usually is.

But there is of course another way to look at this which is the analogue with the Easter story. The Neeson scene in that context looks more like Gethsemane maybe?

Anyway maybe it is the right thing for Adam to resign. Maybe the story being told is that a Good Man needs to "die to" the religious establishment and be "resurrected" outside of it. In other words I wouldn't be surprised if Adam ends up still a Christian but not necessarily a working priest.

Maybe not. I will stick my neck out and say that St. Saviours will close. I think whatever redemption there is at the end of the story - and there will be some - Rev. has tried to give at least a truthful "flavour" of the current state of the CofE and I think it would be a radical departure for some last minute miraculous turn of events to save the building. (Ha! I nearly wrote Deus Ex Machina ending) As appropriate as that may be to Christian imagery it would strike a wrong note with the existing tone of the show IMHO.

But who knows. We'll soon see.

Maybe The Rapture will occur........if it does, who do you think will go, and who will stay??

[Devil]

Ian J.

Life imitating art!

And don't follow this link because it has an outline of the plot for episode 6 unless your curiosity gets the better of you.

Hairy Biker, you are a Very Bad Person, so to put temptation in our way....... [Eek!]

.....but if everyone who watches Rev. regularly could somehow put ten shillings in the pot, St. Leonard's would have more than enough - not only to merely survive, but to expand their mission an outreach....... [Big Grin]

Ian J.

See... I said what Doublethink suggested when I first watched it and was persuaded by Mr Pia that it was a stupid suggestion. But now I've looked at HairyBiker's link [it's OK, no spoilers] and I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, my first thought was the right (if implausible) one.

I rewatched the episode yesterday, but the only additional thing that I noticed was how the Bishop broke the chocolate as if he were breaking the bread...

Is it nearly tomorrow yet?

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

Someone I follow on Twitter posted a [url= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBdIKX3nsWE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]link to a You tube preview[/url] for the final episode - the archdeacon and a reference...

Carys

Aargh I'm sure I deleted that space my tablet insists on putting in when I paste something, but it wouldn't let me preview (just gave me a blank tab). Sorry hosts.

Carys

One more day to go!

Posted by Ahleal V (# 8404) on :

Higgs Bosun, what are these Christian Surveys and how does one join them?

x

AV

quote:
Adam fell and sustained a head injury and then saw a vision of God. So the way of the Cross might have been doing double duty as the road to Damascus. If Saul became fairly charismatic I suppose Adam might too.

I get your point that this may lead him to a change of spirituality (for want of a better word).

That he believes to have had a vision of God doesn't mean that he had a vision of God, of course. Still, I guess that issues of false visions wouldn't be in the script.

quote:
Originally posted by Ahleal V:
Higgs Bosun, what are these Christian Surveys and how does one join them?

x

AV

The actual survey is done by an organization website at 'snapsurveys.com', but the sponsor is christian-research.org. I have no idea how they obtained my email address. I would suspect that they don't want people offering to do surveys, as this can create significant sample bias in the results.

quote:
Originally posted by Pia:

I rewatched the episode yesterday, but the only additional thing that I noticed was how the Bishop broke the chocolate as if he were breaking the bread...

Yes, I noticed that too. I think the metaphors were a bit mixed up.

I also noticed that we ended episode 5, not on Good Friday, but at the end of Maundy Thursday - church stripped bare, dark and in silence. I think we'll be in for some more pain before the glorious resurrection finale.

quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
I also noticed that we ended episode 5, not on Good Friday, but at the end of Maundy Thursday - church stripped bare, dark and in silence. I think we'll be in for some more pain before the glorious resurrection finale.

But we had already had the carrying of the cross. It was not a passion play in a modern setting, it was a story reflecting the Easter story.

This week has to be resurrection as a primary theme, I think. But I have no idea what this will mean. And I am NOT reading any spoilers.

If Nigel were to write an article about it all is this the article he would write?

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Wasn't Adam's meeting with God / Liam Neeson his resurrection? Is the story arc focussing on Adam's story or the story of St Saviour's?

And that clergy disciplinary measure means that valid complaints aren't made either. e.g. Member of clergy whom all the Funeral Directors complained bitterly about to the church and there were so many other cock ups in addition ... A complaint of incompetency from the same church goes through the same system. The funeral directors couldn't see why the church couldn't deal with it.

WTF is James Mumford? Who pissed in his Cheerios?

[ 28. April 2014, 07:22: Message edited by: Amos ]

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

Is this the same person do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
Is this the same person do you think?

Has all the hallmarks. The disgruntlement of the HTB crowd at Rev is one of the sadder and funnier things surrounding it.

I don't know - but he just happens to be the brother of Marcus Mumford (Mumford & Sons) whose father was a noted New Church leader back in the 80s.

sigh

Posted by justlooking (# 12079) on :

quote:
quote:

A Reader/LLM is licensed to a specific incumbent, so any transfer would need that incumbent's acceptance.
Wrong. A Reader is licensed to a parish, a deanery and/or a diocese. To be licensed to a parish needs the acceptance of the PCC, which in practice often means the Churchwardens giving formal approval on behalf of the congregation. Formal approval from an incumbent is also usually needed. Most dioceses have a procedure for periodic re-licensing which for a parish Reader would need the formal endorsement of the incumbent and a Churchwarden.

Aside from Adam Smallbone most of the characters in Rev are recognisable caricatures but Nigel seems to do duty as a combination of all of them. He's portrayed as a full-time working colleague, rather like am assistant priest but without any obvious function. He robes for services but doesn't take an active part. In the last episode he's shown sitting in his chair doing nothing while everyone waits for a priest to arrive. In reality he would have been taking the first part of the service. Most of all - what does he do for a living? Do the makers of Rev really think a Reader is paid by the Church?

I like Adam as a priest - he's a genuine believer and warm and caring as a pastor. His brief fling with Ellie was a matter of genuine concern to his wife but without clear evidence of serious wrongdoing I don't think it would be a matter for anyone else to turn into a formal complaint.

quote:
Do the makers of Rev really think a Reader is paid by the Church?

Considering the level of research which has gone into Rev I think that's unlikely.

I would like to think that the mystery of Nigel's occupation and his 'fictional' Supermodel girlfriend may be explained.

For all we know, she may be real and Nigel is a 'kept man' or even a unemployed fantasist who dreams of being a Clergyman....!
(We had one of those in the orbit of my church in the 80's who dressed up in a Surplice and even fraudulently took Services(elsewhere) - so it may not be outside the experience of the clergy advisors).

Posted by Son of a preacherman (# 4181) on :

quote:

Well, whoever the F he his - I would like to thank him. The comments thread for his 'article' brought me back to SoF after a fairly long absence from lurking... and I have loved reading this thread.

I am so looking forward to the finale.

Posted by South Coast Kevin (# 16130) on :

quote:
I don't know - but he just happens to be the brother of Marcus Mumford (Mumford & Sons) whose father was a noted New Church leader back in the 80s.

Still is! Still are, I should say, as it's James and Marcus Mumford's father and mother who are the national leaders (for that is their title, apparently) of the UK & Ireland Vineyard Churches organisation.

Ah - I don't move much in those circles, so I didn't know. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
quote:

A Reader/LLM is licensed to a specific incumbent, so any transfer would need that incumbent's acceptance.
Wrong. A Reader is licensed to a parish, a deanery and/or a diocese. To be licensed to a parish needs the acceptance of the PCC, which in practice often means the Churchwardens giving formal approval on behalf of the congregation. Formal approval from an incumbent is also usually needed. Most dioceses have a procedure for periodic re-licensing which for a parish Reader would need the formal endorsement of the incumbent and a Churchwarden.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

I am looking at my licence. It explicitly names my incumbent (within the deanery, not the parish, interestingly). When our incumbent changed, I needed a new license.

(In London) when someone is proposed for reader training it needs the approval of the incumbent and the PCC. The latter is evidenced by the signature of the PCC secretary (not a Church Warden, unless they are the same) to say that the PCC passed a motion of support.

When a transfer is requested, the new incumbent has to sign to say that the PCC approves.

Relicensing requires a simple message (an email sufficed last year) indicates that the incumbent and PCC is willing to have a reader relicensed.

quote:
Originally posted by Son of a preacherman:
quote:

Well, whoever the F he his - I would like to thank him. The comments thread for his 'article' brought me back to SoF after a fairly long absence from lurking... and I have loved reading this thread.

Lest people form a judgement of James Mumford from an HTB testimony, you might like to read this. Some HTBers might have more connection with places like the parish of St Saviour's than you might think.

Thank you.

quote:
Most of all - what does he do for a living? Do the makers of Rev really think a Reader is paid by the Church?

According to The Rev. Diaries Nigel works part time for Transport for London, "on roundabouts, I think"

quote:
quote:
quote:

I am looking at my licence. It explicitly names my incumbent (within the deanery, not the parish, interestingly). When our incumbent changed, I needed a new license.

(In London) when someone is proposed for reader training it needs the approval of the incumbent and the PCC. The latter is evidenced by the signature of the PCC secretary (not a Church Warden, unless they are the same) to say that the PCC passed a motion of support.

When a transfer is requested, the new incumbent has to sign to say that the PCC approves.

Relicensing requires a simple message (an email sufficed last year) indicates that the incumbent and PCC is willing to have a reader relicensed.

Readers in the Church of England
quote:
There are more than 10,000 active Readers in the Church of England. Most are licensed to a parish but some are chaplains in prisons, hospitals, hospices or schools, a few are in charge of parishes.

A license may include the name of a nominating incumbent but it's clear from Bishops' Regulations (pdf) that Readers are licensed to a diocese and usually to a named deanery or parish within the diocese. In an interregnum the Reader continues in ministry and when a new incumbent is appointed he/she is expected after six months to re-nominate the Reader to the bishop for the license to be updated.

In practice many Readers get little support from anyone.

[ 28. April 2014, 16:12: Message edited by: justlooking ]

quote:

Apart from Beelzebub.

quote:
Originally posted by Son of a preacherman:
quote:

I am so looking forward to the finale.

What comments thread - nothing appears through the link?

Son of a preacherman - welcome back. We did have a Clergymans Daughter here once, but she has changed her name since. You two would probably get on.

It is not unknown for a reader to work pretty much full time at a church. Not paid, but someone who is kept in some way - they have their own money, or an income from somewhere that leaves them free most of the week.

quote:
One more day to go!

Two more hours to go !

On air.

Sooo, what did we think ....

Posted by Ags (# 204) on :

Well, that made Mr Mumford's diatribe look a little silly, didn't it? (blows nose loudly)

Posted by FooloftheShip (# 15579) on :

Wow. Just wow. I'm not easily moved to tears but my eyes became very moist

quote:
Son of a preacherman - welcome back. We did have a Clergymans Daughter here once, but she has changed her name since. You two would probably get on.

It is not unknown for a reader to work pretty much full time at a church. Not paid, but someone who is kept in some way - they have their own money, or an income from somewhere that leaves them free most of the week.

I have known a stipendiary reader. Reduction of priests in a group, priest and 'lay missioner' appointed, lay person appointed was a reader.

Still sad from the episode, but such a powerful ending.

CArys

Well, sadly not quite the Resurrection I was hoping for, but a bitter-sweet 'resurrection' none-the-less.

....... thinking..... praying .....

Surprised to say this given I've loved all three series and defended the show many times...but that final episode did absolutely nothing at all for me.

I didn't laugh. I wasn't emotionally moved. And I got more fed up with Adam letting Colin being a bully.

Also I think Adam made the right choice to quit, but he was looking for the wrong jobs. There are places someone that caring can make a big difference and to more than his six bullying parishioners.

I think it's left it open as to what he does next. He seemed to be very close to getting that £60K consulting job (plus Blackberry!) but clearly didn't want it.

Then he says to God, 'you've got me back in a cassock again' (or words to that effect) ... 'at least for a bit.' I think 'a bit' could easily mean 20 years.

The voiceover just before it started suggested we were going to see Liam Neeson again - did I miss him? And - I looked away for an instant - on the first shot of the vicarage, was there a For Sale sign?

Marge, I'm confused. Is this a happy ending or a sad ending?

It's an ending, that's enough.

It was an ending.

It was a resurrection. Of Adams faith, I think, not of the church. He will find something to go to, probably still as a priest, maybe not so tied to a parish.

And Alex must surely be earning quite a packet. They should be able to afford somewhere without him earning anything.

In the end I found it a good ending (or at least the best we were likely to get).

In keeping with the sign and symbol from the previous episode there was plenty to spot.

Adam takes to his bed and cant be found, before Easter Sunday dawns. All his friends are lost without him, even (especially) Colin! Its noticeable he calls for 'Adam' and not 'Vicarage' in this episode - I think that's the first time.

Genuine development for Colin's character, where he shows Adam how let down he feels, and its a splendid performance in a character who its easy to play as a stereotype .

Its the women (Alex and Ellie) who decide to go to the church early in the morning on Easter Sunday , and wake up Adam.

The church (the tomb?) has to be opened , and by further analogy , Adam no longer needs it (just as Jesus no longer needs a tomb).

But I'm sure everyone here spotted all these.

I was hoping for something a bit more interesting for Nigel though - as I said before.

So the series ends I think. Adam looks likely to remain a Priest, but somewhere else.

Hopefully they don't try to transplant the series to another Parish as St Saviour's is as much a character as the regular cast. Best to end here while you're ahead.

OK, I'm getting there. Firstly, whatever that was I have never felt like that watching TV before.

If I allow myself to continue with the Passion Play scenario then the death, harrowing of Hell, residing in the Tomb and resurrection were all there.

I am a little uncomfortable (mostly because of the Ship) that the person of Christ resides so firmly in a Priest, this story must be true for all Christians but it is called "Rev." So I am just going to have to deal with that, we all have our vocations, our deaths, our resurrections.

Because we know "What Happened Next." It is taking me a while to come to terms with the new risen Adam, as it must have taken them (Christ's followers) by surprise too.

It is perfect that he was like a new-born, afraid and unsure. It is perfect that the last scene is a baptism (echoing the Communion at the end of the last series) and placing our Baptism above all else.

Adams lying in bed (the tomb) reciting the Beatitudes was unbearable, the re-opening f the Church (rolling the Stone away) was AWESOME and I just cried when he put his folded grave clothes (Alb NOT cassock fools) back on.

The Exsultet! Oh my, weeping now as I think of it.

So much more to say, but in terms of Grace, I have to say they hit the nail on the head, no pun intended.

I now think his wife is the Holy Spirit btw.

I am full of admiration for the whole crew, cast and writers. To think so many non-Christians were entered into such a mystery. Praise be to God.

He is RISEN indeed, Alleluia!

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

Does it make me really shallow if I say that I really exulted when he told Nigel to 'F*** off!', not once but twice? [Devil]

I wish he'd managed to tell Colin that he (Colin) had also let Adam down, by spreading lies as fact and effectively making it impossible for Adam to stay in ministry there.

Two quotes I loved - 'I do humility very, very well. I don't know anyone who does humility better than me'.

And the girl in the shop, who's always sneering - 'You can mind the till for me, I've got to go and sign on' [Killing me]

I find Rev. quite painful to watch, and agree that they should *not* transplant it elsewhere!

Oh, and I didn't see a 'For Sale' sign.

Mrs. S, lost in admiration of Alex [Overused]

I found it almost unbearably moving.

All that Pyx_e said, plus: when Adam in his tomb/bed, reciting the beatitudes, and the other characters are praying (and how often do we see this on tv?) they expose their self-delusions, the stories they tell about themselves to protect themselves to God, they expose them to his light. I thought this bit was extraordinary. The harrowing of hell, indeed.

When Alex said to Adam, 'you are a priest', that was an intensely powerful moment (for me, anyway). And then as she helped him on with his alb.

And saying 'As in Adam all die, but in Christ all shall be made alive' this morning had a new resonance.

Dare I be a party-pooper?

I loved this and, like others, found it moving - but aren't we allowing ourselves to be too carried away by what was, after all, only a television programme?

It's a hallmark of art (understood in a broad sense) that it allows a rich plurality of meanings in excess of the intentions of its makers, no?

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

quote:

I loved this and, like others, found it moving - but aren't we allowing ourselves to be too carried away by what was, after all, only a television programme?

Television is just the medium. Some viewers find the message(s) it carried to be worthy of examination.

I watched the last episode this morning - very teary!

quote:

Its only the Gospel.

Only a television programme? Wow, snobbery lives and breathes.

quote:

They'll be saying football's only a game next.

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

quote:

I think this just indicates how poor the majority of television is these days. It was always supposed to educate, to inform and to entertain, and Rev. has done all this and more. And it isn't as if we were all petitioning the Church authorities to Save St. Saviour's, as people no doubt would if it were in East Enders.

After all, I'm sure the Lord Chamberlain would have said Shakespeare only wrote plays...

Having said all that, I stopped watching CSI Miami when I discovered myself caring about the characters [Hot and Hormonal] (used to allow myself one hour/week of trash telly). I think I felt manipulated by that in a way I haven't found in Rev.

Mrs. S, comparing & contrasting her own parish [Eek!]

Brilliant ending - an Easter glimmer - elusive as in Mark's gospel when it ends at 16:8

Liked the different characters praying - still maintaining that the were innocent - don't we all pray our illusions now and then?

Good to hear the Exultet sung in tune - it's my party piece but took a lot of learning originally - rarely do people manage that and good on the actor for learning it - though why in Latin?

I think that we DID learn more about Nigel - he was looking at a gay dating site but criticising the dress sense of those with photos - methinks internally homophobic = not able to accept himself.

quote:
quote:

Apart from Beelzebub.
I've called my vicar many names but that isn't one of them!

I get regular supervision and appraisal/review.

Nigel is all too common amongst some readers, I fear - they didn't make it to 'vicar' so criticise anyone who does, they dress up and sit upfront even when not on duty so aren't really part of the congregation and dislike the term 'lay' applied to them - (The term 'lay Reader' was altered to 'Reader' but at least some diocese now use the term 'licensed LAY minister'.

[ 29. April 2014, 11:13: Message edited by: leo ]

quote:
Originally posted by Cartmel Veteran:
Surprised to say this given I've loved all three series and defended the show many times...but that final episode did absolutely nothing at all for me.

I didn't laugh. I wasn't emotionally moved. And I got more fed up with Adam letting Colin being a bully.

Also I think Adam made the right choice to quit, but he was looking for the wrong jobs. There are places someone that caring can make a big difference and to more than his six bullying parishioners.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I sympathise. It felt as if it ought to have been deep and moving, but it came across as rather trite and unresolved. I really didn't like the "prayer montage", despite the airing of the hoary joke about being really good at humility - it seemed very clunky, and destroyed the special relationship between the viewer and Adam. Up to then, he was the only one who had these inner monologues. Making everyone do it in the same formulaic way felt wrong, although I understand why they did it.

I think I'm going to have to watch it again, but last week felt moving and poignant. This week, despite having its moments, was a bit meh.

Posted by Dennis the Menace (# 11833) on :

Any one know how many episodes in this current series? Up to six now I think.

quote:
I am a little uncomfortable (mostly because of the Ship) that the person of Christ resides so firmly in a Priest, this story must be true for all Christians

Indeed - but, in times of weakness, we often want priests to 'model' Christ for us.

This is why catholically-minded Christians see ordination as indelible.

I am suspicious of clergy who plug indelibility - it seems to smack of self-aggrandizement to me.

However, Adam's sense of vocation seemed strengthened when prays something on the lines of 'You don't seem to want to let me go.' cf. well-known hymn.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Menace:
Any one know how many episodes in this current series? Up to six now I think.

It's finished, surely and there is no intention to start another series - though the illusive ending of this series leaves the door open, should they change their minds.

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
I think that we DID learn more about Nigel - he was looking at a gay dating site but criticising the dress sense of those with photos - methinks internally homophobic = not able to accept himself.

That was kind of what I meant - although Nigel as a closeted gay man refusing to accept the obvious probably wasn't the most INTERESTING explanation for the way he ticks, but it probably is the easiest to do with the screen time available.

Closeted Gay Man seems quite similar to things the series has already done (to some extent) with the Archdeacon in series 2, who has to choose between love and promotion, and the Gay Wedding story.

It does explain, in part, why he transfers his own personal judgementalism on to others, and Adam in particular.

I will have to watch the scenes again when he is opposite the Archdeacon who Nigel presumably knows is an 'out' gay man, with this extra knowledge.

I thought that :

Nigel as a serial fantasist, possibly using a false identity, could have had a lot more comic potential and could have been threaded through the series until he finally tripped himself up. I really thought that was where we were going. Maybe in a parallel universe version.

I fancied that, as I know for a fact it has occured in real life (no folks , it wasn't me...but I was there).

I still thought all of series 3 was a triumph (and its probably better for the good of all concerned that I'm not the script writer).

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Only a television programme? Wow, snobbery lives and breathes.

Please remember that we are in Heaven.

jedijudy
Heaven Host

quote:
Good to hear the Exultet sung in tune - it's my party piece but took a lot of learning originally - rarely do people manage that and good on the actor for learning it - though why in Latin?

I have no idea why, but it was perfect. It would not have been the same in English.

Adam has been reclothed in white, and now needs to find his new role. His faith is returned, his church gone.

So yes, I do feel some empathy with him, because that is something of my journey.

I presume that BT meant "Only a tv programme" in the same way as one could say "only a novel / film / etc". Not a criticism of the art form as such, more that it's "only" art, not aiming to be inspirational.

But I would still maintain that even "only" art can still teach & encourage, and describe make some complicated things clear in a way that direct explanation cannot. Er, if that makes sense.

Rev has done a wonderful job of articulating a faith like mine - distinctly wobbly much of the time, and overwhelmed with cynicism almost always, but still hanging on. It's also a brilliant description of the life of church, and yes the life of corporate faith - which is one of the things the Mumford article got so wrong, I think.

I liked the episode, and think I will watch it again to mull it over some more. The prayers were a bit of a surprise, but I still thought they were good & useful to the plot. Alex's was excellent. My only (minor) complaint, is that Nigel looking at the gay dating sites seemed a bit thrown in as an afterthought.

But - oh, the light through the church doors when they broke in. One of the best bits of telly in a long, long time.

quote:

But - oh, the light through the church doors when they broke in. One of the best bits of telly in a long, long time.

I woke up at 2am this morning very clear on the only place where I'd actually seen redemption and blessing done better - and it was the light in this scene that triggered it;

it's a little unfair comparing Rev to acknowledged cinematic genius (the more so when the film was in black and white with all the extra lighting possibilities in monochrome), but, the last 20 minutes of Powell and Pressburger's "A Canterbury Tale" - from the moment Dennis Price gets a halo in the railway carriage, through the light being let into the caravan when Alison discovers her fiancee isn't dead, to the breathtaking service in Canterbury Cathedral.

Yes, I do appear to be comparing Rev to Powell and Pressburger. I'm not sure I can think of higher praise (or, higher art).

quote:
I presume that BT meant "Only a tv programme" in the same way as one could say "only a novel / film / etc". Not a criticism of the art form as such, more that it's "only" art, not aiming to be inspirational.

Yes, that's the idea - although I also wanted to remind folk that, however profound it may have been, it was first and foremost conceived of as entertainment.

Mind you, so were Shakespeare's plays and Mozart's operas!

quote:
quote:

Yes, that's the idea - although I also wanted to remind folk that, however profound it may have been, it was first and foremost conceived of as entertainment.

Mind you, so were Shakespeare's plays and Mozart's operas!

Yes and the need to entertain trumped a lot of what could have been. Sometimes the comedy was a needed relief from seriousness but some of the time it intruded.
Still it's not often we get a series about faith that takes it subject seriously enough to wrestle with the options.

Posted by Ancient Mariner (# 4) on :

quote:

The survey was Mrs Mariner's idea and I suggested it to Christian Research who made it happen. Full results here.

[ 29. April 2014, 17:14: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

A lot of the Easter message was there , and reading the comments above has helped my appreciation of that .
Each of the cast doing their prayers, the Archdeacon Robert explaining as to why he always throws Adam's coffee away ? All this leads me to believe this, without doubt, was the last Rev to be made.

What really did it for me was taking out Bongo -- A master stroke, even though I guessed something of that order was coming .
My partner was astute enough to notice Colin grabbing the Easter egg from the shop saying "Bongo can have that" . She said 'chocolate can kill a dog' .

The riddle of the chocolate, from the previous episode, has been solved for me . This one aspect of last night's finale lead me to feel moved for most of today.

< Shall be watching it again for sure , and again....>

quote:
In an interregnum the Reader continues in ministry and when a new incumbent is appointed he/she is expected after six months to re-nominate the Reader to the bishop for the license to be updated.

Snd should the new incombet not want the Reader, s/he might move to another church BUT has to stay in the ciongregation for a year before attempting to get a newe license.

i used to think this was harsh but recent experience makes me think that this is a good idea.

So were the series of 'Rev' be resuscitated, Nigel would not pop up again with Adam.

For as in Adam all die.....

I really hope they don't go down the commercially tempting route of a 'Christmas Special' [Eek!]

Someone on twitter wrote that 'The church building couldn't be saved, but the people have been'.

And that's the message we've been left with. There is the germ of the church there, even though the physical building is no longer available. And they came together when it mattered, rather like the disciples all ready for Pentecost.

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

Or the 'Upper Room', which was locked for fear of the authorities - or locked by the authorities? Perhaps there's a touch of prophetic ministry, the church being reborn without the church building. Forgiveness, a return to life, proclaiming the resurrection against the complaints and denials of the locals - a great ending. Not perfect, but nothing is (do I need to say, 'except God'?).

Was it the ending you thought you spotted last week, Chorister?

A moving conclusion - if that's what it was! - and a salutary lesson (if any of them were watching) to folk in our neighbouring parish, facing imminent closure, insofar that we have been reminded that the Church is the people, not the building, however much loved it might be....

......and one would like to think of Rev. Adam continuing in priestly ministry somewhere, somehow - but please, as someone else has said, no Christmas Special!

Ian J.

quote:
Snd should the new incombet not want the Reader, s/he might move to another church BUT has to stay in the ciongregation for a year before attempting to get a newe license.

There's no 'has to' about how long a Reader needs to wait before being formally licensed to a new parish. The guidelines say 6 months, however a Reader who has moved to a new parish can be asked to preach and lead worship at any time. It isn't necessary to be formally licensed to a parish in order to preach regularly. Many Readers are licensed to a deanery or to the diocese, or have PTO. In some areas Readers operate within a circuit system similar to Methodist Local Preachers. There's plenty of room for flexibility.

Nigel remains licensed even though the church has closed.

[ 29. April 2014, 19:39: Message edited by: justlooking ]

I was thinking about how the rolling-the-stone-away moment involved breaking into the church (rather than out of the tomb), and then realised that the two are fundamentally the same thing - in breaking out of the tomb, Christ breaks into the world, into the Church, which is symbolised but not contained by the building. Is this the answer to the question that the Diocesan Secretary and Area Dean keep asking: 'How can we do/be Church in a place like this?'?

Passion Play Cast

Adam / Christ

Alex / Holy Spirit. ("We are going to stay at my father's house")

Liam / Father.

Baby / The Church

Colin / Peter

Nigel / Judas

Bishop / Pilate

Diocesan Sec - Area Dean / Sadducees and Pharisees

Ellie / Mary Mag

Archdeacon / John? (bit of a stretch)

Adoah?

Bearing in mind her propensity to mother anything that moves, would Adoah not be Mary, Jesus' mother.

Adoah would be more like Martha I would think. And the Archdeacon more like the centurion who stood by the Cross.

Posted by Eirenist (# 13343) on :

So the message seems to be: 'The Church/ Body of Christ has to die, in order to be resurrected.'

An apposite thought, in the current climate of opinion about the C of E.

Interestingly enough the United Reformed Church, when it was formed in 1972, was envisaged to have only a short life as it would be the first step in all the churches joining together in one great pan-denomination and thus become subsumed within it.

quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
quote:
Originally posted by Leo

That was kind of what I meant - although Nigel as a closeted gay man refusing to accept the obvious probably wasn't the most INTERESTING explanation for the way he ticks, but it probably is the easiest to do with the screen time available.

Closeted Gay Man seems quite similar to things the series has already done (to some extent) with the Archdeacon in series 2, who has to choose between love and promotion, and the Gay Wedding story.

It does explain, in part, why he transfers his own personal judgementalism on to others, and Adam in particular.

I will have to watch the scenes again when he is opposite the Archdeacon who Nigel presumably knows is an 'out' gay man, with this extra knowledge.

If you hadn't even considered that Nigel was closeted, just from the episode you mention, I'm struggling to see how it could have been made clearer. Possibly if he'd dressed up in a pink leotard and jumped up and down inside an actual closet, shouting "I'm not gay!" Possibly. The only possible room for doubt was whether it was a deliberate attempt to mislead the viewer into assuming something that wasn't actually true.

And I'm afraid I'm thoroughly sick of the desperate attempts to find exact parallels between Rev and the Easter story. Some of them are blindingly obvious, and the scriptwriters deserve to be beaten about the head with a sledgehammer until they understand the meaning of subtle. Some of the parallels just aren't there, they're things you want to see, and you're arguing over angels on a pinhead.

This is just cementing my view that this was a rather poor and ill-conceived conclusion. The series deserved (and promised) so much more than a crude, inspiration-free allegory that even C.S.Lewis would have balked at.

Art, meh.

At risk of over analysing, perhaps this series is more sinister than we think, with lots of subtle dark symbolism.

We all know how God removes a SMALLBONE from ADAM to create Woman (Gen 2 21 -25). Adam’s wife in Rev is of course, quite literally A.Smallbone.

The whole series is named after the final book of the New Testament, otherwise known as THE APOCALYPSE.

3 Series of six (excluding the Christmas special of series 2)? Uh oh – that makes 666.
[Mad]

Also with hidden references to Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress": St. Saviour-in-the-Marshes = the dreaded Slough of Despond! [Devil]

quote:

In the Church of England Parishes don't close. So the parish of St Saviour's will presumably be merged with a neighbouring parish. In this kind of circumstance, I guess, it would be as if Nigel has a new incumbent - who, as has been said, can choose not to renew his licence in due course.

Perhaps to take this sub-thread in a different direction - much has been said about Adam as an example of a priest, good or otherwise. Do we consider Nigel to be a good advertisement for Reader Ministry, or not?

As has been pointed out above, Nigel has never been seen doing anything in a service, apart from attempting to re-start Ellie's wedding using the BCP. So on that count, not for me.

Also, wasn't he turned down for ordained ministry in the last series - suggesting that all readers are actually frustrated clerics, who sabotage the current incumbent, believing they could run the parish far better than the current vicar, given the chance (I've met a few of these). Also not good.

And now I'm watching Tom Hollander as Dylan Thomas. Not strange at all. But he's fat - augh!

It is an Incontrovertible Truth, valid throughout the multiverse, that Readers can run the parish much better than the Vicar......

......I'll get me cassock.

Ian J.

quote:
Was it the ending you thought you spotted last week, Chorister?

I and another shipmate (who communicated with me by PM) thought we saw an interesting piece of paper? envelope? on one of the pews being taken out of the church (which may have been hidden when in situ). I did rather fancy that it might have been a fat cheque, or some other way out of church closure, from some generous benefactor, which might have fallen down behind the pew and not seen, only to be revealed when the whole place was dismantled.

It was not to be. And would have been too fairytale an ending. Under the circumstances, I much preferred the more poignant ending which really happened.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

I wondered whether the fire left burning in the barrel might lead to an accident - gaining sufficient money from insurance to renovate the building.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I wondered whether the fire left burning in the barrel might lead to an accident - gaining sufficient money from insurance to renovate the building.

Or rebuild?

Better than the Diocesan Arsonist, surely...

quote:
Originally posted by Panda

Not many Dioceses have these anymore. Its the cut-backs. The C of E must be seen to be doing it's bit.

All in together, you know.

Posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger (# 8891) on :

My thoughts on the last couple of episodes are on my blog - link in sig.

quote:
quote:

In the Church of England Parishes don't close. So the parish of St Saviour's will presumably be merged with a neighbouring parish. In this kind of circumstance, I guess, it would be as if Nigel has a new incumbent - who, as has been said, can choose not to renew his licence in due course.

Perhaps to take this sub-thread in a different direction - much has been said about Adam as an example of a priest, good or otherwise. Do we consider Nigel to be a good advertisement for Reader Ministry, or not?

I think he's an appalling ad. for Readers and i find myself defending myself by 'es I'm a Reader but not like Nigel.'

Someone will doubtless reply,'Oh yes you are.'

'O no I'm not'.

quote:
Also, wasn't he turned down for ordained ministry in the last series - suggesting that all readers are actually frustrated clerics, who sabotage the current incumbent, believing they could run the parish far better than the current vicar, given the chance (I've met a few of these). Also not good.

Yes he was, then he attempted suicide by climbing on toe the roof until Adam talked him down.

Reader ministry is entirely different from ordained ministry but many see getting licensed as some sort of consolation prize.

quote:

originally posted by The great Gumby
Possibly if he'd dressed up in a pink leotard and jumped up and down inside an actual closet, shouting "I'm not gay!"

Now that I would pay to see. But is it Art?

Oh yes you are.

quote:

After Vetting and Barring, Health and Safety, Risk Assessment and Training the Bristol Diocesan Arsonist is now only allowed to stand 20 yards from any place of public worship, wearing a high vis jacket, leather gauntlets, safety goggles and a hard hat while and holding an un-lit zippo at arms length. A properly certified "official" has to stand within 5 paces with a foam fire extinguisher.

This parody is bought to you care of The C of E. Our motto is "Putting out the fire for 400 years."

[ 01. May 2014, 13:13: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

quote:
And the Archdeacon more like the centurion who stood by the Cross.

Just a thought on this association - the archdeacon is Nicodemus, the closet believer.

quote:
Oh yes you are.

In which case, i'm moving to your parish so i can sort you out.

It's behind you.

quote:
The archdeacon is Nicodemus, the closet believer.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a closet - but I certainly believe in them. (Mind you, there were one or two in a TV programme about the Georgians the other night).

quote:
It's behind you.

Yes it is - the area dean's fat arse.

quote:
quote:

Reader ministry is entirely different from ordained ministry but many see getting licensed as some sort of consolation prize.
And some of us see it as a valid approach to personal ministry, having explored ordination. And still find rejection.

The CofE has the core problem, because IME, they do not see the value of a range of ministry. It is Ordination or lesser ministry.

It only occurred to me today that Mick didn't appear in any of the later episodes. Could this be because he was seen as too much of a comic character?

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
It only occurred to me today that Mick didn't appear in any of the later episodes. Could this be because he was seen as too much of a comic character?

I assumed it might have been because the actor playing him wasn't available to take part.

How could Mick follow his dressing up to seduce the vicar act? Better left at that, I think.

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

[Roll Eyes] Forgot about that!

quote:
quote:

I don't think Nigel provided any sort of advertisement for Reader Ministry because he didn't do anything specific to Reader ministry apart from wearing the robes. He didn't preach or lead worship or engage in any kind of teaching. Instead he acted as churchwarden, parish secretary, treasurer and Adam's personal assistant.

There's a lot of ignorance about Reader ministry. A Readers isn't licensed by the incumbent or to the incumbent - it's the bishop who does the licensing. If a new incumbent didn't agree to Nigel being relicensed to the new parish then his general license to the diocese would remain and he'd be involved in discussions about alternatives.

Nigel wasn't Judas because Adam wasn't Jesus. There was no case to justify action against Adam because the mistakes he made didn't amount to an improper relationship. But he did make mistakes and there was on the face of it grounds to investigate. This example was petty but in RL there's a lot of covering up and turning a blind eye to things that are far from petty.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

There's probably a Purgatory thread in discussing how the Clergy Discipline Measure works, or doesn't ... but in real life the first conversation between the priest and the Archdemon or Bishop is the one where the priest is shown the written complaint. And in life, as in art, such a letter doesn't do a lot for relationships between the complainant and the priest, which can rather affect the willingness of some people to raise issues.

I don't have time to start a Purgatory thread, now.

Seeing the interest in this one character I'm left wondering if there's room for a follow up sit-com entitled 'Nigel'.

Something that has occurred to me , having watched the final episode again, is that Alex, (one of the few secular characters), was the only one who was really capable of displaying true, unconditional forgiveness.
All said and done I would say Rev. was indeed comic genius that moved it's audience, but underneath there existed a dark analysis of Christianity and all it's proponents, from the very top to the very bottom.

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

I've only just discovered Rev. and watched the first two episodes of season 1 last night. What is with Nigel's vestments? I gather that he's a reader. Is it common in the CofE for readers to wear a surplice with a blue thing-that's-not-quite-a-stole like Nigel? What I normally see on readers in TEC is an alb.

Yes - I usually wear ab and blue scarf at mass but surplice, scarf and hood for evensong.

But the legal garb for everything is the latter.

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

quote:
Yes - I usually wear ab and blue scarf at mass but surplice, scarf and hood for evensong.

But the legal garb for everything is the latter.

Thanks--you know how movies and TV routinely get these things wrong!

Rev was mostly 'correct' because they had so many clergy advising them.

Posted by Oscar the Grouch (# 1916) on :

Agreed.

As far as I could see, they only "got things wrong" when they were doing so deliberately for the purposes of the storyline and the comedy. A certain degree of artistic licence needs to be allowed - this ain't a documentary!

© Ship of Fools 2016