Thread: Time to Flush the Bilge Tanks Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028474

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

Oblivion is heading towards 500 plus pages - around the time the sheer size of it makes the Ship creak.

I'll be going in there with the weed wacker shortly, so:

Thank you.

Tubbs

[ 23. December 2014, 13:03: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

nb, the Ship's search facility is a thing of legend, so if you really want to find something in Oblivion, an external search engine might be the thing.

Not that I've got an interest in these, just that multiple usage of the Ship's search engine might cause that to creak too.

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

Would you kindly consider saving this game please? I thought it was a marvellous game, with twists and hijinks and general mayhem.

[Overused]

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

That one's safe for now. Though, we'll note any requests for a move to Limbo. It's the older threads that are going to be flushed. So, we need to know about anything from 2010 you want to keep. If you've a bit of time you could just go to the last page in Oblivion and work forward to see if any thread stands out.

[ 23. December 2014, 14:02: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

Just one vote, with a hope for more, to be ruthless and destroy almost everything. I can't be the only person on the ship with a tendency to over-share or anger management issues. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Ok, I''ve thought about this before-- what about archiving the Who threads? I think the continuity of those discussions is impressive, and imo are worth repeated readings. ( I have saved a couple threads.)

And tag them "Dr. Who" rather than " Heaven" so the fanatics can find them easily.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Ok, I''ve thought about this before-- what about archiving the Who threads? I think the continuity of those discussions is impressive, and imo are worth repeated readings. ( I have saved a couple threads.)

And tag them "Dr. Who" rather than " Heaven" so the fanatics can find them easily.

Genius! If anyone has links to them, that would be prefect ... [Yipee]

Tubbs

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Just one vote, with a hope for more, to be ruthless and destroy almost everything.

Seconded. If it's in Oblivion, it probably wasn't worth transferring to Limbo for future preservation at the time, and a lot of that stuff is ephemeral anyway.

I had a quick look earlier but can't see anything I personally would want to revisit - happy for the lot to go.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

How about this thread which contains ken's field guide to views held by English Anglicans?

Or this alternative hymn thread?

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

On searching: do we all know the "site" search on Google? So, if I want to search for the phrase "paint my bottom blue", Google might return all sorts of interesting things. But if I type
quote:
"paint my bottom blue" site:forum.ship-of-fools.com
Google will only return results from the Ship.

Another plea here for the Dr Who threads. But I also like to browse some of the old music threads we've had in Heaven over the years - I'll try and come up with some links.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
But if I type
quote:
And return four results! (at the time of posting it hasn't yet found this post or the one above it).

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:

Tubbs

I found the 2010 Dr Who thread, and moved it to Limbo 'cos I could. It's now
here.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
But if I type
quote:
And return four results! (at the time of posting it hasn't yet found this post or the one above it).
Ah, but sadly the original seems to have gone. (It was originally "F**k me, I love Bruckner", but some passing Host changed it to "Tie me to a pig and paint my bottom blue, I love Bruckner". There may have been some debate over whether "F**k me" was an exclamation or an invitation.)

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

quote:
quote:

Tubbs

If it helps:

Thread started in March 2010

Tangential thread started April 2010

Thread started April 2011

Thread started March 2012

Thread started August 2012

Thread started November 2012

quote:
quote:
quote:
But if I type
quote:
Ah, but sadly the original seems to have gone. (It was originally "F**k me, I love Bruckner", but some passing Host changed it to "Tie me to a pig and paint my bottom blue, I love Bruckner". There may have been some debate over whether "F**k me" was an exclamation or an invitation.)
Damn! I thought that was already limbo'ed.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

The Bruckner thread was back when I was a Heaven host, so no later than 2009. (Pre-Oblivion.)* It was started by Laura who was still an Admin at the time. IIRC she changed the title herself -- there were a couple of random grumbles about having the F-word in a Heaven thread title.

*And so I am really, really sorry for not Limboing it. It was a classic.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

{Raises hand from back of class.}

I thought the Shiply powers that be had decided that we were going to keep all threads?

Would it help to just dump Oblivion into Limbo? Or link the two boards together? Or some such?

If it's at all possible, I think we should have a record of ALL of Ship life.

Thx.

{Proffers H/A gifts.}

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
If it's at all possible, I think we should have a record of ALL of Ship life

Wanna provide the space for us to store all that stuff? [Big Grin]

quote:

Why? [Confused]

Ariel--

Because every bit of it is *us*, is the Ship, is our community. It's our history and our life.

quote:

The short answer is that it's not possible.

We used to delete everything with the exception of a very small number of threads that got saved to Limbo. We set up Oblivion for a range of reasons, including to provide that "record of ALL of Ship life".

Although a manual search is easy if you have an idea of when a thread was last posted to, finding anything else is a monumental task. I'm not aware of anyone ever referencing a thread more than 18-24 months old, with the implication that people aren't using it as a resource to refer back to. In addition, the size of Oblivion seems to be a contributing factor to some of the quirks we've been experiencing with the software, it's certainly something that makes maintenance of the database holding all our ongoing discussions a real pain.

Oblivion has been culled several times over the last few years to stop it dragging the whole Ship under. This is simply the latest in that line of clear outs.

What? Including old threads from All Saints? Why would anyone need to know that another shipmate had a full PM box 5years ago? Why do you need to see that a duplicate thread got closed after one post? Do we really need to know that someone had forgotten their password and needed help?

Alan--

I've referenced very old threads. IIRC, others have, too. And it's fun to go back and re-read.

Spike--

Do you permanently wipe out parts of your own memory?

I try to!

Oblivion has always seemed to me like a junk room for temporary storage with a bunch of stuff that meant a little, or maybe nothing at all, at the time but which is no more use now than a set of old bills with receipts from 5 years ago, that broken lampshade that never got fixed, those old curtains that you wouldn't actually want to put back up now, and a bunch of tins of something that's well past its expiry date.

A few things might be kept (though I personally disagree about the Doctor Who threads) but indiscriminate keeping of everything is hoarding.

In some ways it would be quite good to delete as much as possible, including long-running threads from the main boards - though I know that's not the subject of discussion - and start the new year afresh with pretty much a blank slate and see what comes up.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Why? [Confused]
Wow
This exchange gave my brain whiplash with the mental double-take it caused.
Can't keep everything, don't have room. But why would one want to? "Don't throw that paper cup away! It is the first one from that cafe that I kind of liked if the one I really wanted to go to was closed".
Jettison everything? "As your new Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, I am announcing the closing all museums, libraries and government owned historical properties, following the announcement by the PM and her majesty that we are no longer a kingdom with histories spanning thousands of years. As of 1 January, we are brand new.
On a related note: as the National Trust is no more, all buildings will be left open, loot want you can before garbage day. Please be aware that Balmoral is a private residence and not included in this notice".

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

First, I thought it was very kind to get a PM about this. Was it ship-wide?

Second, there are several types of decluttering people around. I am one of those who hangs on to all sorts things because they have an emotional meaning, and I want to retell the story of the things hung on to, usually to myself, because seldom do others really care or listen or think my judgement is any good about such things - because it is not.

Eventually, often years later, I realize my emotion has faded, and then am capable of disposing of the things. Thus, it seems to me that appraisal of True Quality of a topic and thread is required, nothing more. Dispassionate, done by like an arts or best book jury, which is the Admins and Hosts. And saps like me who cannot be unemotional when cleaning ship would be wise to have another cup of grog while letting others set the fires and throw overboard.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

The short answer is that it's not possible.

We used to delete everything with the exception of a very small number of threads that got saved to Limbo. We set up Oblivion for a range of reasons, including to provide that "record of ALL of Ship life".

Although a manual search is easy if you have an idea of when a thread was last posted to, finding anything else is a monumental task. I'm not aware of anyone ever referencing a thread more than 18-24 months old, with the implication that people aren't using it as a resource to refer back to. In addition, the size of Oblivion seems to be a contributing factor to some of the quirks we've been experiencing with the software, it's certainly something that makes maintenance of the database holding all our ongoing discussions a real pain.

Oblivion has been culled several times over the last few years to stop it dragging the whole Ship under. This is simply the latest in that line of clear outs.

As the software asks you to select the number of days old a thread needs to be, I was going to delete everything over 1,000 days old. (Bonus points for spotting the cultural reference!).

To make sure that everyone gets the opportunity to save locally or nominate their favourite thread for transfer to Limbo, this won't happen until towards the end of next week. (And because the Internet connection at my in-laws is dire!)

Tubbs

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Jettison everything? "As your new Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, I am announcing the closing all museums, libraries and government owned historical properties, following the announcement by the PM and her majesty that we are no longer a kingdom with histories spanning thousands of years. As of 1 January, we are brand new.

This isn't a kingdom with histories spanning thousands of years, and the threads in Oblivion aren't works of art. Many are ephemera that are rarely re-read. Oblivion is, as they say, full of threads that "didn't make the cut for Limbo", and "range from mildly interesting to terminally dull." YMMV, of course.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
First, I thought it was very kind to get a PM about this. Was it ship-wide?

Second, there are several types of decluttering people around. I am one of those who hangs on to all sorts things because they have an emotional meaning, and I want to retell the story of the things hung on to, usually to myself, because seldom do others really care or listen or think my judgement is any good about such things - because it is not.

Eventually, often years later, I realize my emotion has faded, and then am capable of disposing of the things. Thus, it seems to me that appraisal of True Quality of a topic and thread is required, nothing more. Dispassionate, done by like an arts or best book jury, which is the Admins and Hosts. And saps like me who cannot be unemotional when cleaning ship would be wise to have another cup of grog while letting others set the fires and throw overboard.

Nope, but last time I tided, I didn't tell anyone and you started a Styx thread about it as I'd deleted a load of threads you'd saved. You had some good suggestions about how to make the regular Oblivion spring clean work better. So I've adopted them. You got a PM to let you know. Must be too much eggnog making me feel caring and sharing rather than my usual grumpy self!

Tubbs

[ 24. December 2014, 16:57: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

This isn't a kingdom with histories spanning thousands of years, and the threads in Oblivion aren't works of art. Many are ephemera that are rarely re-read. Oblivion is, as they say, full of threads that "didn't make the cut for Limbo", and "range from mildly interesting to terminally dull." YMMV, of course.
My post might have included a tiny bit of exaggeration. But it wasn't directed at Oblivian as much as your comment to wipe clean the ship entire. Which I find as extreme as keep every bit and bob.

It's supposed to be a site devoted to Unrest, no? Merry Christmas. [Biased]

Touché and Happy Christmas.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I hope it isn't too late, but could you save that thread that settled the debate about PSA once and for all? Thank you.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I read in Oblivion fairly regularly, because I'm a sad little creature living in the past. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I hope it isn't too late, but could you save that thread that settled the debate about PSA once and for all? Thank you.

[Killing me]

And Golden Key-- have mercy on our software. I think it was very accommodating of Tubbs to ask us for Limbo suggestions-- I suggest you follow through on that offer and nominate some yourself.

And Tubbs, as for your "usual grump self" --y'all don't let her fool you . Based on some of the stuff I have seen I think Tubbs should work for the UN. [Overused]

[ 25. December 2014, 03:02: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

Here are my suggestions for limbofication:
  1. Belief and Disbelief in God, Fairies etc
  2. How'd you change atheists?
  3. Sin, forgiveness, and the rules of golf
  4. Decline and Fall of the Roman Church?
  5. Would you look in the box?
  6. How can Jesus Christ be God?
  7. Catholic and Orthodox soteriology
  8. To Hell with your evil theology
  9. Would UFO's destroy your belief in the Church?
  10. Theodicy and The Fall
  11. Hell - an embarrassment to many Christians these days?
  12. A random proof of God
  13. Popery and condoms and gigolos
Sorry if this is delayed, it took some time to wade through 114 pages of threads on a slow internet connection (I'm on vacation). Also sorry for a biased selection that basically contains only threads where I was involved. But with so many threads there was no way of reading them all. So I basically just went looking for things that might have interested me back in 2010...

[ 25. December 2014, 14:40: Message edited by: IngoB ]

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Based on some of the stuff I have seen I think Tubbs should work for the UN. [Overused]

She's the diplomat of the Admin team, it must be said!

If I was tasked with cleaning up Oblivion I'd just set a tactical nuke under the bastard and let some other bugger deal with the clean up.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
it took some time to wade through 114 pages of threads on a slow internet connection (I'm on vacation).

It's Christmas Day! What are you doing spending hours trawling through the archive of some random website?

Go and have some mulled wine and celebrate with the family!

Thanks for hearing me out. [Smile]

I wasn't concerned about duplicate threads and password resets. But we're created community experiences here, in each discussion. We each have our own bit of the experience in us--but an archive helps make the community experience available.

I hope the Ship is around for a long, long time--and future Shipmates may want to know what we've been up to.

FWIW, etc., etc. Thanks to Tubbs and all the H/As for your hard work.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
It's Christmas Day! What are you doing spending hours trawling through the archive of some random website? Go and have some mulled wine and celebrate with the family!

I'm in the Philippines at the moment. We started celebrating from 6.30am with (extended) family and by 4pm (8am UK time) I was lying on my bed in 30 centigrade heat hoping that my belly wouldn't explode from the endless food I had stuffed into it. As good a time as any to click leisurely through webpages... [Big Grin]

Quite so! I was the same, but even the I didn't have long enough to go through half of Oblivion!

It would't surprise me if IngoB turned out to be a master-class speed reader.If IngoB told us he actually taught speed reading, my lack of surprise would create a vortex that would instantly perform the Oblivion Purge itself. [Big Grin]

So, when's the big day?

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
quote:

Tubbs

If it helps:

Thread started in March 2010

Tangential thread started April 2010

Thread started April 2011

Thread started March 2012

Thread started August 2012

Thread started November 2012

Got 'em!

On to IngoB's list.

Posted by Cara (# 16966) on :

There's a thread in Oblivion called "Liturgy of the Irvingite Catholic Apostolic Church."
Could it be put in Limbo, as the thread (formerly in Eccles) called "The Catholic Apostolic Church" has been?

But, oh dear, I just tried a search for it in Oblivion and couldn't find it. Perhaps already purged? I did bookmark it a while ago so I suppose even when purged, it remains in the bookmarks on my own computer?

Would this be it?

I would like to put a plea in for various Cwmbran/Bethel threads, partly out of personal interest and partly because there are lots and lots of links in them. Here are a couple (I see the others are in Limbo already):

Revival in Cwmbran

Bethel brainwashing (contains documented fakery).

[ 27. December 2014, 21:39: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

So far I have limboed all nominations. I figure we in the Adminosphere can discuss their Limbo- worthiness later.

quote:
Would this be it?

Thanks Eutychus--but when I click on your highlighted "this" it says it is a thread that does not exist. So I guess it's gone, but luckily I seem to have it or a bit of it still saved in my bookmarks on my own computer.

Nope! I limboed it. Go check there.

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

quote:
[list=1]...I basically just went looking for things that might have interested me back in 2010...

Keep going, if the proposal is to cut Oblivion to 1000 days, the survivors will be all of 2014 & 2013 & half of 2012.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
quote:
[list=1]...I basically just went looking for things that might have interested me back in 2010...

Keep going, if the proposal is to cut Oblivion to 1000 days, the survivors will be all of 2014 & 2013 & half of 2012.
That'll still leaves a whooping 200 plus pages even after the cull.

Get rummaging!! There must be other good stuff to save!

Tubbs

If people are having a hard time finding stuff, I propose we do something like 700 days ( roughly two years) and have a yearly Limbo appeal.

A couple more threads:
Fermented or unfermented
The Knights Templar, ....

back in 2010 you're wading through pages of Eddy, but Genevieve and jlg, ken and Erin were all still posting.

Done, and done.

Posted by An die Freude (# 14794) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
Would you kindly consider saving this game please? I thought it was a marvellous game, with twists and hijinks and general mayhem.

[Overused]

It wäs goood oone indeedings.

I'm not sure if I'd suggesting limbofying, but at least somehow spare the previous mafia threads simply because they are relatively frequently referenced in new games in order to establish player behaviour as well as just for the fun of established traditions (such as not listening to yours truly when y'all should) and expressions (burning down one's house to prove certainty etc). It's a few threads of the past that are actually still of use and that get read every once in a while.

Thanks for suggesting that, because not only did I save that, but it reminded me to save all the RPG development/ test threads that grew out of the post Mafia discussion. [Big Grin]

Does anyone think we should archive the death Pool threads? Again, they have interesting continuity.

Don't know when I will have the time for looking at 2011 & 2012. I'm about to fly back to cold Europe, and then the treadmill starts again...

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

I've checked my bookmarks, and have the following queries if any kind person could assist:

There is an old but accessible thread in the Styx, at this location, which doesn't show in the index as far as I can tell. Is this safe?

There was an item, possibly from the magazine, which I had bookmarked at http://www.ship-of-fools.com/features/2006/mystery_bullshipper.html I assume this is irrecoverable as it's not part of the forums?

There once was a thread called (I think) Horrible or Horrifying nursery rhymes. My link is non-responsive - anybody know if was Limboed in the past?

Many thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
There is an old but accessible thread in the Styx, at this location, which doesn't show in the index as far as I can tell. Is this safe?

It's fine, sitting at the bottom of page 2 on the board index. There is an option within your profile to choose what threads to see on the index, based on time since last post. If that's set relatively short some threads will not be displayed. My personal preference is to set that to "show all threads".

quote:
There was an item, possibly from the magazine, which I had bookmarked at http://www.ship-of-fools.com/features/2006/mystery_bullshipper.html I assume this is irrecoverable as it's not part of the forums?
The correct URL for that is http://ship.saintsimeon.co.uk/Features/2006/mystery_bullshipper.html

Many thanks, Alan.

Posted by An die Freude (# 14794) on :

I would like to see this thread spared. It's been rather useful to me in determining the concerned writer and several others' credibility and what respect to have for the academic discipline in question.

I would also like to pose a question regarding another thread that I had bookmarked. My bookmark says "God, you bastard" which I believe was a thread about being open to talking straight to God, possibly a post by Lamb Chopped. However, my bookmark leads to a thread that's completely unrelated to the subject. I know the bookmark is not mixed up because it has the post # in it but the thread it links to does not even reach that post count. Thus it has to have linked something before, and I'm not sure what that was. Are the forum threads renumbered when they get sent to Oblivion? Perhaps that's the case, in which case I shall have to go look for that specific thread. I'd just like to know if anyone has any more information on this.

An der Freude - that's because it was a Prayer Board thread - the previous incarnation of the 8th Day.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

No, it's because the thread was moved.

Threads are numbered according to the order in which they are created in a particular forum, and when a thread is moved, it gets the next available number in the forum to which it was moved. The 19,000th thread in Purgatory if moved to Oblivion will get the next available number there: 27,000-something.

[ 30. December 2014, 22:45: Message edited by: RuthW ]

OK, I have a stinking cold and cough, so no energy or brain for anything I should be doing, a few more threads:

Is the UK multicultural? has ken on good form
Shrunken Anglophone world has all the discussions about drifting UK accents;
Inequality or poverty? has some of jlg's last posts
MAAN overboard? is it worth preserving to hold up next time the suggestion surfaces? But because it has some of the last posts from Erin and jlg (Erin's last post was banning Merlin the Mad).
RooK - Could it be true? Hell thread which started the whole MAAN overboard debacle.
Wikileaks: What do we think? has most of the last few posts from Erin - but is an interesting discussion anyway.
Not sure about this one - it was suggested at the time that it should be preserved to show the lenient attitude of the Ship;
This thread is where Erin said that the best part of Merlin the Mad dribbled down his mother's leg - and a whole lot more.

I'd forgotten about oldandrew. His posts will all be expunged with this flushing out, along with MerlintheMad's. But the other person who will be expunged is Leetle Masha - and most of her last 50 posts were in the Circus.

[Check!--K.A.]

[ 05. January 2015, 23:51: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

fwiw, oldandrew is flourishing on Twitter and in the blogosphere. Merlin the Mad - ah, such japes. I know it's long gone, but I don't suppose anyone has a copy of Myrrmeneutics stashed anywhere?

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

quote:
Don't know when I will have the time for looking at 2011 & 2012. I'm about to fly back to cold Europe, and then the treadmill starts again...

Yup, I wouldn't mind if 2010 disappeared "this week" and 2011 a month later.

But whatever, life goes on.

2011 selection:

How does the Trinity concept help one's faith?
A Church for Men
Losing God

I suspect this one should be kept, but not necessarily in Limbo -
All about leo (he loves it)!

[Check!--K.A.]

[ 05. January 2015, 23:50: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
Nope! I limboed it. Go check there.

Thanks, Kelly! I was happy to see your note here….
but have tried to find it in Limbo but couldn't. Only the other one on the Catholic Apostolic Church that was there already.
Maybe I am searching wrong.

The "liturgy of the Irvingites" one was still in my bookmarks, so I started trying to print it out…but with exceeding dimness I chose "printer-friendly" format…which led to the usual "a thread that does not exist" note, and then, poof!, the original page had disappeared from my bookmarks as well….!!

Ah well…..

Heh. It was at the end of the Ecclesiantics list because I put "Ecclesiantics " instead of "Eccles." I fixed that.

I will fix the other two I was over-precise about, too. [Big Grin]

2012 in Oblivion is thin - and weird, lots and lots of triplicate threads. But I did find a couple of the music threads:

Help! I'm becoming a G&S fan
Favourite composers/overrated composers
and then there's:
The racial origins of the British
or
2012 Mafia Game #1. SHIP CREEK

I found this one a while back and wasn't sure:
What's in the coffin?

The Minecraft threads are also buried there but I didn't bother clicking on them as I went past.

That's to page 198 of Oblivion working backwards - and April 2012 coming forwards.

[Check!-- K.A.]

[ 05. January 2015, 01:41: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

OK, a couple more:
How harmful are personality tests? - it has ken on MBTI but is one of the wider ranging Purgatory discussions;
Stages of faith and ken on Fowlers

[Check!-- K.A.]

[ 05. January 2015, 01:42: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

When selecting threads for the Admins to consider moving, remember that Limbo is for "the best of the best". The threads that showcase the Ship at its finest that got missed for whatever reason first time around.

My mum died recently and we've got the clearing out process to come. The instinct is to try and hold onto everything, but that's not practical. We need to identify the things we want to keep and pass on because they reminds us of mum at her best. (Hope that makes sense!)

Tubbs

Tubbs, I realise, I'm running a temperature and know I'm not thinking straight, so am only really trying to make suggestions. If you want to add a filter it's going to be a whole lot quicker for you to filter the 10 or 15 threads I suggest than 300 pages of Oblivion.

There are quite a few in there I think are worth keeping. Some I suggested for others to make the decision (and mostly I phrased the suggestions in those terms). Some were in response to questions on the thread - music threads, or other such - which I found when looking and linked to as easier to find when linked than when going back and looking.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Tubbs, I realise, I'm running a temperature and know I'm not thinking straight, so am only really trying to make suggestions. If you want to add a filter it's going to be a whole lot quicker for you to filter the 10 or 15 threads I suggest than 300 pages of Oblivion.

There are quite a few in there I think are worth keeping. Some I suggested for others to make the decision (and mostly I phrased the suggestions in those terms). Some were in response to questions on the thread - music threads, or other such - which I found when looking and linked to as easier to find when linked than when going back and looking.

Fair play. The delete programme isn't going to be run until next week so there's a bit of time. Now go to bed and concentrate on getting better!

Tubbs

Back on Page 1:

quote:
So far I have limboed all nominations. I figure we in the Adminosphere can discuss their Limbo- worthiness later.

Yeah, just wanted to reinforce what Tubbs said above-- when I have moved threads, it was merely to provide a more convenient place for my fellow Admins to examine them than Oblivion. Also, to get the location tags in place so they would be easy to find, My moving them should not be taken as an indication that we've made a final decision on their retention.

[ 01. January 2015, 12:26: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
OK, a couple more:
How harmful are personality tests? - it has ken on MBTI but is one of the wider ranging Purgatory discussions;
Stages of faith and ken on Fowlers

I second the 'Stages of Faith' request. It speaks into my current thread, and so I've added a link there. Thank you Curiosity killed... I hope you're feeling better.

quote:
Heh. It was at the end of the Ecclesiantics list because I put "Ecclesiantics " instead of "Eccles." I fixed that.

I will fix the other two I was over-precise about, too. [Big Grin]

Thanks, Kelly--found it! [Smile]

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

I have been looking for old Death Pool threads. I suspect that they have already gone. I do have links to 2004 (the inaugural competition) and then everything from 2007.

Most are already in Limbo but 2010 and

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

Sorry, I hit post instead of the URL button and then finished editing after the cut off so here is the rest of my post:

Most are already in Limbo but 2010, 2012 and 2013 are in Oblivion. Can these join their colleagues and be deoblivionated?

And if anyone has the missing threads I would be grateful if you could pass them on to me. Perhaps they are in an African TV station's cupboard, along with some more missing Dr Who episodes.

Posted by Paul. (# 37) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
And if anyone has the missing threads I would be grateful if you could pass them on to me. Perhaps they are in an African TV station's cupboard, along with some more missing Dr Who episodes.

I have the 2006 (3rd) CDP Thread, which contains the following comment:

quote:
Originally posted by christianjimmy:
Is there a record anywhere of "The Second SoF Celebrity Death Pool"? I found the first one in Limbo, but cant find the second one.

which didn't get a response, so I suspect the 2005/2nd one may be lost - but it may be at the back of someone else's cupboard, who knows?

I suppose this would be a good time to mention that I have a complete archive of the Oblivion board as it stood on 22-Nov-2010. I created it as a way to search the board. Assuming the H/As are OK with it, I'd be happy to put it up somewhere for folks to download (as an archive not a working website).

My suggestions for threads from 2011 to be spared in the purge (same caveats on bias as mentioned above for 2010 apply):
  1. Christian Orthodoxy
  2. ‘Quit chin stroking!’ should Christians be silent on ‘The Problem of Evil’?
  3. Plato & Jesus: Searching for Tash in Aslan's Country?
  4. Atheism on Purpose
  5. Non-literal interpretation of miracles?
  6. Dangers of Omitting the Filioque?
  7. The Point of Time
  8. Do we WANT there to be a God?
  9. Catholic Church Official Stance Question
  10. Selective Scepticism
  11. The Rationality of Deism etc
  12. The Anointing of Those Who Want It?
  13. Is God, strictly speaking, necessary?
  14. Kalam Cosmological Argument
  15. Faith in physics, or physics in faith?
Thanks for your consideration.

[Check!--K.A.]

[ 05. January 2015, 01:43: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

And here's my selection from 2012:
  1. Trisagion and the Catholic Bishops - accessories to murder
  2. Faster than Light
  3. Come on down, Trisagion
  4. Fasting
  5. Retreat for Atheists
  6. We need more religion but we don’t need its zeal
  7. Looking on a woman to lust
  8. Called to marital celibacy?
  9. Radical vs middling Christianity
  10. God wants you stuck with each other forever
  11. Differences between Catholicism and Orthodoxy
  12. The God Particle
  13. Divine omniscience
  14. Ghosts
Thanks once more.

Could I get some confirmation that threads from 2013 (on pages 1-120) are safe for now, please?

If you see anything worth saving in2013, go ahead and get 'em now. Why not?

I was taking a break in shifting threads for the holidays, but will pick it up in a few hours. Again, please note that temporary limbofication does not guarantee permanence, we are now in the process of reviewing new entries for writing quality and historical interest. To keep things trim down there, we might need to decline a few.

Making, say, a sentance long case for your nominations might help us with this process. Slogging through a list of twelve nominations is a bitchkitty, which is why I shelved it for later. If you give us your defense of the thread, it might jog our memories and make us agree with you.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
quote:

I have the 2006 (3rd) CDP Thread, which contains the following comment:

quote:
Originally posted by christianjimmy:
Is there a record anywhere of "The Second SoF Celebrity Death Pool"? I found the first one in Limbo, but cant find the second one.

which didn't get a response, so I suspect the 2005/2nd one may be lost - but it may be at the back of someone else's cupboard, who knows?

I suppose this would be a good time to mention that I have a complete archive of the Oblivion board as it stood on 22-Nov-2010. I created it as a way to search the board. Assuming the H/As are OK with it, I'd be happy to put it up somewhere for folks to download (as an archive not a working website).

Do you now! I've PM'ed you about one particular thread it would be good to get a copy of. I'll ask the other Admins what they think about making it available somewhere. Would people use it though?!

Tubbs

quote:
If you see anything worth saving in2013, go ahead and get 'em now. Why not?

Because scanning through 100+ pages of 25 threads each per year takes a while... and having done three years so far I am getting a bit tired of it.

quote:
Making, say, a sentance long case for your nominations might help us with this process. Slogging through a list of twelve nominations is a bitchkitty, which is why I shelved it for later. If you give us your defense of the thread, it might jog our memories and make us agree with you.

If you want me to, I will comment on my lists later. For now temporarily parking them in Limbo to avoid immediate deletion seems fine.

It' s weird to propose something as "best of SoF" anyhow, in particular if one was involved in the thread. It's a bit like self-nominating yourself for an Oscar. I actually don't mind somebody else triaging these suggestions, to make it less awkward. I mostly want "my kind of thread" to be in with a shot...

Okay, the big red button gets pressed on Tuesday. Get those recommendations in by Monday or you've missed the boat. (Um .... Er .... Sorry!)

Tubbs

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

My ipad still won't link properly, I wonder if the thread on the state funeral for Lady Thatcher is worth saving for historic reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
My ipad still won't link properly, I wonder if the thread on the state funeral for Lady Thatcher is worth saving for historic reasons.

Could be ... If you post the long link, I can take it from there

Tubbs

Thanks, IngoB-- for the record, my hasty comment up there was meant to be generally aimed at future contributions-- you don't have to go back and review your list- in fact, thanks for the suggestions-- but if people in the future could give a brief memory- jog of what happened on the thread, that would help a lot.

(And no way am I doing anything tricky until I get off iPad. Grrr!)

[ 03. January 2015, 20:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
quote:

Could be ... If you post the long link, I can take it from there

Tubbs

I'll try, it is the clipboard function that is cocking up, so my copy / paste not working properly.

[tangent] I got an app called iClear to help with the annoying clipboard glitch.

Ta muchly, I will look it up.

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=021786;p=1#000000

(Page 234, half way down.)

[ 04. January 2015, 19:02: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

quote:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=021786;p=1#000000

(Page 234, half way down.)

Moved! Thank you

Tubbs

Are the powers that be actually okay with us copying and pasting our favourite threads to our hard drives?

Assuming they are, I've done so with a handful of my favourites, in case they don't get Limboed:

20th/21st century classical music
Jazz
Music from Heaven
Music that lifts your spirits
Music that makes you cry

I think we can see a theme here. If anyone else has any recommendations in a similar vein before the Big Red Button gets pushed, let me know.

quote:
Are the powers that be actually okay with us copying and pasting our favourite threads to our hard drives?

Assuming they are, I've done so with a handful of my favourites, in case they don't get Limboed:

20th/21st century classical music
Jazz
Music from Heaven
Music that lifts your spirits
Music that makes you cry

I think we can see a theme here. If anyone else has any recommendations in a similar vein before the Big Red Button gets pushed, let me know.

Provided you're not planning to use them for commercial gain, then knock yourself out!

Tubbs

quote:
Sorry, I hit post instead of the URL button and then finished editing after the cut off so here is the rest of my post:

Most are already in Limbo but 2010, 2012 and 2013 are in Oblivion. Can these join their colleagues and be deoblivionated?

We are currently discussing the Death Pool threads-- more info when discussion is over.

quote:
quote:

We are currently discussing the Death Pool threads-- more info when discussion is over.
I've moved them for now. Kelly, have the other suggested threads been moved or does that still need doing?

The big tidy happens tomorrow. The Ship will be off-line for a short while whilst the threads are deleted and a rebuild is done.

Tubbs

I quit last night before I got to this:

quote:
  2. Faster than Light
  4. Fasting
  5. Retreat for Atheists
  12. The God Particle
  13. Divine omniscience
  14. Ghosts

quote:
I quit last night before I got to this:

quote:
  2. Faster than Light
  4. Fasting
  5. Retreat for Atheists
  12. The God Particle
  13. Divine omniscience
  14. Ghosts

I'll do them tomorrow. Broadchurch has just started!

Tubbs

Meh-- I got some time.. I will finish them off.

[Aaand... CHECK! [Big Grin] )

[ 05. January 2015, 21:15: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

At this point, all nominations are shifted. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

[ 05. January 2015, 23:55: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
At this point, all nominations are shifted. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

And it's Tuesday, I'm going in! Hopefully all I'll find in the bilge tank are some old threads and not a monster of some sort.

Tubbs

Deleted 6532 topics, leaving us with 4978 and reducing Oblivion to 199 pages. And, for the first time in ages, managed to run the full maintaince programme - rebuilt the forum stat files, the search engine, user post histories AND the member stat files. (I have no idea what these things do as Erin used to do them, but hope it's all good!)

That's it for a bit! Bilge tanks well and truely flushed!

Tubbs

[ 06. January 2015, 11:32: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Wow! And in just two hours!
[Overused]

Good job, Tubbs. And thanks for doing it in the hours that I was sound asleep.
[Snore]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Well done, ma'am.

I was a bit shaken when I discovered the boards ere down but managed to get an emergency appointment so I just about survived.

Many thanks, Tubbs. From my far off days in IT, I remember this kind of thing being both tedious and nerve-wracking.

quote:
Many thanks, Tubbs. From my far off days in IT, I remember this kind of thing being both tedious and nerve-wracking.

It was! The worst bit was worrying that I'd entered the right number of days in the deletion box. There's a world of difference between threads older than 100 days and ones older than 1000! Got it right thank goodness!

Tubbs

Hooray!

You could have just dropped the '1' from the number of days. That would have made reindexing Oblivion very much easier.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
You could have just dropped the '1' from the number of days. That would have made reindexing Oblivion very much easier.

It would. But the resulting Styx thread might not have been much fun. [Disappointed] [Razz]

Tubbs

[Yipee] I just did a search on "tat queen" in Oblivion, and it gave me 65 hits in about 3 seconds!

quote:
[Yipee] I just did a search on "tat queen" in Oblivion, and it gave me 65 hits in about 3 seconds!

The search engine works now?! Have you checked outside for horsemen / flying pigs?!

Tubbs

quote:
The search engine works now?!

It'll be fine right up to the next time we move a bunch of threads to Oblivion and bugger up all the indexes again!

quote:
quote:

The search engine works now?! Have you checked outside for horsemen / flying pigs?!

Tubbs

THE DAMN SEARCH ENGINE WORKS NOW!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

© Ship of Fools 2016