Thread: Zombie Jamboree - Wightmeet revisited Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029872

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

So..........

Do you realise my Smudgelet turned 19 this week? At the time of the first Wightmeet my little man was nearly six. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. I don't feel any older, but looking back at the photos I do seem to look it.

Emma Louise (yes, it's her fault) and I were talking about the old Wightmeets and the people who used to go.. prompted into a fit of nostalgia by the birthday and by my having organised a school trip to the Island last week. And we started wondering what had happened to the people we used to know. As a result, I slipped a sort of random enquiry onto Facebook and was quite surprised (in a not-quite so surprised sort of way) at the number of people who responded. So I thought I'd float the idea here.

The idea is that next year, on a weekend in one of the school holidays, I might book some group accommodation and see how many zombies we can resurrect for a Wightmeet-reunion. I'm not saying that those who never made it to a Wightmeet would not be welcome, just that first refusal would definitely be for those who were part of the original crew who understand the importance of synchronised 3-point turns and treasure hunts with deliberate mistakes in them.

Obviously the dynamics would be different - there'd be more couples, more kids, more zimmer frames, and sadly no houseboat or Smudgie Towers - but that just opens up more opportunities. The Ship and the Wightmeet has always been acknowledged as a sort of "safe space", so we'd have to work hard to avoid cliquiness and ensure everyone was included, but hey.... Blackgang Chine, Robin Hill, treasure hunts, picnics on the beach, coloured sand models........

So, no commitment involved at this point - after all, we don't even have dates or prices, but this is just a random sweep to see how much interest there would be. Who might be interested in a Zombie Jamboree Wightmeet Reunion in 2017 (give you time to save a few pennies)

For those adminly types amongst us, it goes without saying that the steam railway would feature.

The point I only half made about making sure everyone was welcome was based on the fact that some of us have maintained friendships, both on the ship and through the book of faces, and in that weird land called Real Life... so it would take that little extra bit of effort to make sure that the spirit of the original Wightmeets' inclusivity was maintained with a melting pot of different people all feeling part of one community.........

So, if you remember battling against gale force winds at the Needles Battery, investigating the Mouth of Hell at Blackgang Chine, sinking your teeth into a Mouseburger at the Wight Mouse Inn, sampling a proper bottle of Wight Wine at the vineyards, or sitting on the floor of my lounge watching Doctor Who.......... then this one's for you!

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I never made it to a Wightmeet but I am planning on being in UK at some point in the second quarter of 2017 so...

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

Me me! [Big Grin]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pants:
Me me! [Big Grin]

A voice from the past or are you a zombie as Smudgie suggests?

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

Possibly!

Need to resurrect the Teapot persona!

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

I hope to plan a trip for next year. Be forewarned!

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

I only went to one Wightmeet, but I do like the sound of a rerun! Especially if Wodders will grace us with his presence!

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

We (LRP & I) always meant to attend a Wightmeet, but never made it. Hoping to make the Zombie appocal... Oops sorry Zombie Jambutee.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

When is it likely to be? Lord P is likely to be working in a parish on the island for a year.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Another one who never actually made it, but I got as far as booking before the offspring got sick and we couldn't come at the last minute.

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Pants:
Me me! [Big Grin]

A voice from the past or are you a zombie as Smudgie suggests?
Bit of both mebbe.

Posted by Tom Day (# 3630) on :

Count us in for it!

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

Count me in! Dates depending, I may leave Mr M at home to dogsit. Not quite at the Zimmer frame stage yet, (though you won't be getting me playing Twister this time round' unless we've a physio in the party!)

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

Yes us!!! Me and PaulW will definitely consider it.

We are hoping to meet up with the Days and maybe birdie et al at some point next year so perhaps we could time it around a Wight Meet.

Posted by Ultracrepidarian (# 9679) on :

I only got to the very last (?) Wightmeet, but would love to return to Blackgang Chine and the other usual haunts.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

We came to the last two and would love to come again

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

I am so in it hurts! Let's do this thing!

quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
(though you won't be getting me playing Twister this time round' unless we've a physio in the party!)

If I can convince Mrs Martian to come along, we will indeed have a Physio in the party!

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

My memory indicates that next year will be the twentieth anniversary of the Ship in the online version.

Jengie

No, there's another year to wait for that. The online magazine started in 1998

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I must be getting old - I can't get my head round the idea that 1998 was nearly 20 years ago.

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

Definitely will be looking out for the date of this.

(Currently watching an IoW ferry, from a certain Scandinavian eatery)

Posted by Annie P (# 3453) on :

Yes, I we are in! It's been so long since I posted on here that I couldn't remember my log in name. So yes, I am in with Mr Day and the boys. [Smile]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:
Yes, I we are in! It's been so long since I posted on here that I couldn't remember my log in name. So yes, I am in with Mr Day and the boys. [Smile]

Auntie Doris will be pleased.

Lots of names popping up here which I have not seen for ages.

OK, I have heard back from the YMCA. If we do an early bird booking, we can book a weekend in the Easter Holidays for the following (this year's) prices half board:

2 nights £73 child £80 adult

I am not yet sure what the prices would be if we decided to eat out in the evenings - I'm sure Gill would let me know.

Our Easter Holidays are 1st to 16th April next year, with Easter Sunday falling on 16th, so I'd suggest going for the weekend in the middle - Friday 7th to Sunday 9th as that's the weekend most likely to coincide with the greatest number of school holidays which I know is an issue for a fair few people who've shown interest in this meet. (I am assuming the actual weekend of Easter is unsuitable).

Thoughts?

The actual Easter weekend might be easier for me. Weekend of the 7th clashes with the other half's birthday, don't think he'd want to be away or for me to be away for that.

Wheelchair accessible? Unfortunately cannot match India and England next year since I will be in Canada finishing my taxes for 2016 by March 4. But depending on a few things I might do a short UK holiday to include Wightmeet 2016. [Votive]

I think he means 2017 but...

Bugger. All those weekends are out for me [Frown]

Spike, if you're in demand on Palm Sunday, could you do Friday night to Saturday night?

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I think he means 2017 but...

Indeed. Why don't you be a sweetie pie and correct it instead of behaving as you usually do?

quote:
quote:

Except for the fact that we can't do the proposed weekend as my cousin is getting married [Frown]

Auntie Doris x

boo

Posted by Annie P (# 3453) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
quote:

Except for the fact that we can't do the proposed weekend as my cousin is getting married [Frown]

Auntie Doris x

Pants man... Is this still the best weekend for everyone? Would have been good to see you Doris. [Frown] [Waterworks]

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
quote:

Auntie Doris x

Tell them they have to rearrange the wedding date!

The alternative would be the actual weekend of Easter.
I guess whatever weekend we pick would be impossible for someone. And the school Easter Holidays seem to be staggered across the country.
We could go for the summer holidays, but that would also exclude people and would bump the price up considerably - not just the accommodation but especially the ferries.

Selfishly I would not be able to manage the May half term week as I will just have come back from taking our school residential trip there and will just want to collapse that week.

In summer the YMCA is £88 for children and £94 for adults for two nights, £132 children and £143 adults for three nights.

To get the early bird prices we need to book within the next six weeks.

Answers to questions:

No charge for under 2s, and they can provide up to three travel cots.

They don't do just bed and breakfast, but will happily provide a packed lunch instead of an evening meal, which seems much better than being tied to going back for a meal in the evening.

I really can't commit til after mid-August. Given my tight turnaround next April, I think it would be best to plan without me. [Frown]

Well unless the weekend changes to Easter weekend we are definitely out. [Waterworks]

Auntie Doris x

Auntie Doris, we need a bit more feedback from people on dates.........

Pete. the six weeks is only to get this year's prices - it doesn't exclude anyone from joining in at a later date as long as we get enough to book a wing of the accommodation at this point.

So - we're looking at three options - Palm Sunday weekend, Easter Weekend or a random weekend in the summer holidays. Thoughts?

Well that sounds good. Hope the others speak up so we can be cheaper... I will continue to monitor this thread.

PS - if I had my druthers I would pick Palm Sunday, but with a little notice I could do Easter weekend. Summer prices are a little out of my price range.

Of the options presented, Palm Sunday works best for me. Summer is tricky, and Easter weekend is definitely out.

Easter weekend is the best option for me, like Auntie Doris and Co, Palm Sunday weekend's not possible. Summer hols doable atm provided it doesn't clash with the LEL cycle run.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

Sorry, with offspring and other family now scattered across the UK, I can't commit to an Easter Holiday date this far in advance. [Frown]

[tangent] Whoever borrowed Pete's druthers please return them as soon as possible. [/tangent]

Friday & Saturday of Palm Sunday weekend would be doable. Easter weekend, definitely not.

How about Mayday bank holiday weekend?

[ 28. May 2016, 08:23: Message edited by: Spike ]

The trouble with May bank holiday is twofold.
First that anyone with school commitments (teaching or parents of school-age children) might find it a bit tight if coming any distance - though I may be mistaken in that. Personally my school trip to the Island starts on the following Sunday, although that needn't be a problem if it's the weekend most people prefer.

How about I put up a poll?

Those people who can't commit this far ahead, fear not. I just need enough people at this stage to make a booking viable.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

May Bank Holiday weekend is 29 April to May 1 and doesn't look too bad.

The pressure is slightly off next year around the beginning of May as the GCSEs mainly don't have coursework now (June 2017 is the last time food tech and D&T have a practical component, science and English finished this year). The GCSE coursework submission date was 7 May, along with the Entry Level marks, which are either 7 May or 15 May, so that's a lot fewer marking and moderating sessions in April / May / June (having sorted my last lot on Thursday this week and then started preparing for the workshop I jointly led yesterday)

KS2 SATs week is week beginning 8 May 2017.

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
The trouble with May bank holiday is twofold.
First that anyone with school commitments (teaching or parents of school-age children) might find it a bit tight if coming any distance - though I may be mistaken in that.

As its a holiday weekend we could do it Saturday to Monday rather than Friday to Sunday as we have done in the past

Poll is here

May half-term week next year?

Not an option for me, I'm afraid.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Poll is here

Thanks Spike.
If people try to post on there when they have voted, then it will bump the poll up so others can spot it.

Voted.

Mayday Bank Holiday appears to be most popular at the moment.

Posted by Quizmaster (# 1435) on :

Oh, what happened to you?
Whatever happened to me?
What became of the people we used to be?

A cruise on the Isle of Wight ferry, a steam filled face on the train, a chair lift at the needles, a mouseburger (they are big mice on the isle of wight), and a walk around the gardens of Eden (well the gardens of Ventnor), maybe a Roman Villa and Waltzing Waters, maybe Blackgang Chine and a view out to see from the Wight Heights.

What could be better?

A world cruise perhaps.

OK When I win the lottery we will make it a world cruise but in the meantime a few days in parboiled rice (paradise) sounds quite alright.

Smudgie girl, how the devil are you?

quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
Oh, what happened to you?
Whatever happened to me?
What became of the people we used to be?

Thanks for the earworm (showing my age a bit there)! [Smile]

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Tangent, we've just bought the DVDs of the original Likely Lads, or at least the half dozen that still exist!

M.

OK, we have a problem.

May Bank Holiday is not possible for the YMCA and is really tricky for me. So either someone else takes over organising it and organises a different venue and I probably am unable to come, or we go for the Palm Sunday weekend. It's not all about me, obviously, although I'd be really sad to miss it.

It is is looking likely that we would be unable to commit any time soon to a specific date although Palm Sunday weekend is definitely out for us. I also have a trip to Burkina Faso around then but not sure on dates yet.

Auntie Doris x

**bump**

Just moving this out of the firing line of the Hostly Hoover.

© Ship of Fools 2016