homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Zombie Jamboree - Wightmeet revisited (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Zombie Jamboree - Wightmeet revisited
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Pants:
Me me! [Big Grin]

A voice from the past or are you a zombie as Smudgie suggests?
Bit of both mebbe.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count us in for it!
Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in! Dates depending, I may leave Mr M at home to dogsit. Not quite at the Zimmer frame stage yet, (though you won't be getting me playing Twister this time round' unless we've a physio in the party!)

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes us!!! Me and PaulW will definitely consider it.

We are hoping to meet up with the Days and maybe birdie et al at some point next year so perhaps we could time it around a Wight Meet.

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only got to the very last (?) Wightmeet, but would love to return to Blackgang Chine and the other usual haunts.
Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We came to the last two and would love to come again

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so in it hurts! Let's do this thing!

quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
(though you won't be getting me playing Twister this time round' unless we've a physio in the party!)

If I can convince Mrs Martian to come along, we will indeed have a Physio in the party!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My memory indicates that next year will be the twentieth anniversary of the Ship in the online version.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, there's another year to wait for that. The online magazine started in 1998

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must be getting old - I can't get my head round the idea that 1998 was nearly 20 years ago.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely will be looking out for the date of this.

(Currently watching an IoW ferry, from a certain Scandinavian eatery)

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I we are in! It's been so long since I posted on here that I couldn't remember my log in name. So yes, I am in with Mr Day and the boys. [Smile]

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:
Yes, I we are in! It's been so long since I posted on here that I couldn't remember my log in name. So yes, I am in with Mr Day and the boys. [Smile]

Auntie Doris will be pleased.

Lots of names popping up here which I have not seen for ages.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I have heard back from the YMCA. If we do an early bird booking, we can book a weekend in the Easter Holidays for the following (this year's) prices half board:

2 nights £73 child £80 adult

I am not yet sure what the prices would be if we decided to eat out in the evenings - I'm sure Gill would let me know.

Our Easter Holidays are 1st to 16th April next year, with Easter Sunday falling on 16th, so I'd suggest going for the weekend in the middle - Friday 7th to Sunday 9th as that's the weekend most likely to coincide with the greatest number of school holidays which I know is an issue for a fair few people who've shown interest in this meet. (I am assuming the actual weekend of Easter is unsuitable).

Thoughts?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The actual Easter weekend might be easier for me. Weekend of the 7th clashes with the other half's birthday, don't think he'd want to be away or for me to be away for that.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wheelchair accessible? Unfortunately cannot match India and England next year since I will be in Canada finishing my taxes for 2016 by March 4. But depending on a few things I might do a short UK holiday to include Wightmeet 2016. [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he means 2017 but...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Bugger. All those weekends are out for me [Frown]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike, if you're in demand on Palm Sunday, could you do Friday night to Saturday night?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I think he means 2017 but...

Indeed. Why don't you be a sweetie pie and correct it instead of behaving as you usually do?

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Except for the fact that we can't do the proposed weekend as my cousin is getting married [Frown]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
boo
Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
quote:

Except for the fact that we can't do the proposed weekend as my cousin is getting married [Frown]

Auntie Doris x

Pants man... Is this still the best weekend for everyone? Would have been good to see you Doris. [Frown] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
quote:

Auntie Doris x

Tell them they have to rearrange the wedding date!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

The alternative would be the actual weekend of Easter.
I guess whatever weekend we pick would be impossible for someone. And the school Easter Holidays seem to be staggered across the country.
We could go for the summer holidays, but that would also exclude people and would bump the price up considerably - not just the accommodation but especially the ferries.

Selfishly I would not be able to manage the May half term week as I will just have come back from taking our school residential trip there and will just want to collapse that week.

In summer the YMCA is £88 for children and £94 for adults for two nights, £132 children and £143 adults for three nights.

To get the early bird prices we need to book within the next six weeks.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Answers to questions:

No charge for under 2s, and they can provide up to three travel cots.

They don't do just bed and breakfast, but will happily provide a packed lunch instead of an evening meal, which seems much better than being tied to going back for a meal in the evening.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I really can't commit til after mid-August. Given my tight turnaround next April, I think it would be best to plan without me. [Frown]

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

Well unless the weekend changes to Easter weekend we are definitely out. [Waterworks]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Auntie Doris, we need a bit more feedback from people on dates.........

Pete. the six weeks is only to get this year's prices - it doesn't exclude anyone from joining in at a later date as long as we get enough to book a wing of the accommodation at this point.

So - we're looking at three options - Palm Sunday weekend, Easter Weekend or a random weekend in the summer holidays. Thoughts?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Well that sounds good. Hope the others speak up so we can be cheaper... I will continue to monitor this thread.

PS - if I had my druthers I would pick Palm Sunday, but with a little notice I could do Easter weekend. Summer prices are a little out of my price range.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Of the options presented, Palm Sunday works best for me. Summer is tricky, and Easter weekend is definitely out.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

Easter weekend is the best option for me, like Auntie Doris and Co, Palm Sunday weekend's not possible. Summer hols doable atm provided it doesn't clash with the LEL cycle run.
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, with offspring and other family now scattered across the UK, I can't commit to an Easter Holiday date this far in advance. [Frown]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[tangent] Whoever borrowed Pete's druthers please return them as soon as possible. [/tangent]

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Friday & Saturday of Palm Sunday weekend would be doable. Easter weekend, definitely not.

How about Mayday bank holiday weekend?

[ 28. May 2016, 08:23: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

The trouble with May bank holiday is twofold.
First that anyone with school commitments (teaching or parents of school-age children) might find it a bit tight if coming any distance - though I may be mistaken in that. Personally my school trip to the Island starts on the following Sunday, although that needn't be a problem if it's the weekend most people prefer.

How about I put up a poll?

Those people who can't commit this far ahead, fear not. I just need enough people at this stage to make a booking viable.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May Bank Holiday weekend is 29 April to May 1 and doesn't look too bad.

The pressure is slightly off next year around the beginning of May as the GCSEs mainly don't have coursework now (June 2017 is the last time food tech and D&T have a practical component, science and English finished this year). The GCSE coursework submission date was 7 May, along with the Entry Level marks, which are either 7 May or 15 May, so that's a lot fewer marking and moderating sessions in April / May / June (having sorted my last lot on Thursday this week and then started preparing for the workshop I jointly led yesterday)

KS2 SATs week is week beginning 8 May 2017.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
The trouble with May bank holiday is twofold.
First that anyone with school commitments (teaching or parents of school-age children) might find it a bit tight if coming any distance - though I may be mistaken in that.

As its a holiday weekend we could do it Saturday to Monday rather than Friday to Sunday as we have done in the past

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Poll is here

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

May half-term week next year?

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Not an option for me, I'm afraid.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Poll is here

Thanks Spike.
If people try to post on there when they have voted, then it will bump the poll up so others can spot it.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

Voted.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Mayday Bank Holiday appears to be most popular at the moment.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, what happened to you?
Whatever happened to me?
What became of the people we used to be?

A cruise on the Isle of Wight ferry, a steam filled face on the train, a chair lift at the needles, a mouseburger (they are big mice on the isle of wight), and a walk around the gardens of Eden (well the gardens of Ventnor), maybe a Roman Villa and Waltzing Waters, maybe Blackgang Chine and a view out to see from the Wight Heights.

What could be better?

A world cruise perhaps.

OK When I win the lottery we will make it a world cruise but in the meantime a few days in parboiled rice (paradise) sounds quite alright.

Smudgie girl, how the devil are you?

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
Oh, what happened to you?
Whatever happened to me?
What became of the people we used to be?

Thanks for the earworm (showing my age a bit there)! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent, we've just bought the DVDs of the original Likely Lads, or at least the half dozen that still exist!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

OK, we have a problem.

May Bank Holiday is not possible for the YMCA and is really tricky for me. So either someone else takes over organising it and organises a different venue and I probably am unable to come, or we go for the Palm Sunday weekend. It's not all about me, obviously, although I'd be really sad to miss it.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

It is is looking likely that we would be unable to commit any time soon to a specific date although Palm Sunday weekend is definitely out for us. I also have a trip to Burkina Faso around then but not sure on dates yet.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

**bump**

Just moving this out of the firing line of the Hostly Hoover.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016