Thread: Shipmate of the Year Board: The Simmies 2009 / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=74;t=000017

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Which shipmate has made the biggest impression on deck this year? It could be someone who's sulphurous in Hell, persuasive in Purgatory, inventive in Heaven. He or she doesn't have to have 99,000 posts to their name; it's the quality of posting that's important here. Shipmate of the Year is for the person who has made the strongest contribution to the Ship in 2008.

If you're nominating someone for a Simmy on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. Your post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Shipmate's board name

For: Shipmate of the Year

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

Posted by Yerevan (# 10383) on :

I nominate: Matt Black

My reasons for nominating: Nice guy. Courteous, intelligent posts.

Posted by uncletoby (# 13067) on :

My reasons for nominating: I disagree with him about almost everything but he always remains courteous. (Also he used something I wrote in his sig for a while, which was a nice little ego boost for me!)

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Wiff Waff

My reasons for nominating: Wiff Waff welcomes every newbie who posts on the the noobs thread in All Saints - there must be hundreds of people who's first interaction on the Ship is with Wiff Waff. He gives a great insight into his life in India, and keeps us entertained by burning his lips with hot drill bits, and hitting himself on the head while folding towels. What would we do without him?!

Posted by Joan Rasch (# 49) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Telepath

My reasons for nominating: She provides, as one poster put it, "[an]incredible ministry of prayer here on the Ship". Telepath serves as a major anchor of the All Saints Prayer requests thread by frquently posting summaries of the requested intercessions (sample here).

- Joan

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Curiosity Killed the Cat

My reasons for nominating:
1. She has organised several meets in London, several to contribute to walking around the world and the recent meet with Kelly.
2. She has stored and distributed the ship's mugs.
3. She is organising the Secret Santa thread.

[ 11. December 2008, 18:59: Message edited by: Tree Bee ]

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

I'd like to second the nomination for Curiosity killed the Cat, not only for all the reasons mentioned by treebee - but also for anchoring the cafe !

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
NOMINATION

I nominate: Curiosity Killed the Cat

1. She has organised several meets in London, several to contribute to walking around the world and the recent meet with Kelly.
2. She has stored and distributed the ship's mugs.
3. She is organising the Secret Santa thread.

- thirded.

She also organised the last Fitness Race too. She's also a Very Nice Person, as far as I can make out [Smile]

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

I nominate -- together -- Ye Olde Motherboarde & JB, the Conjoined Twins of Graciousness --

For Shipmates Of The Year.

Their interactions on threads aboard Ship are always gracious, humorous or sympathetic or wry or aghast as needed.

Their interactions IRL, among the throng of Shipmates they've brought together in various Meet contexts, are just as wonderful -- with the added facet of being so doggone healthy for us.

Hanging with them is like an Olympics. They're always embroiling Shipmates in traveling or touring or hiking or trotting up and down foothills on a Rent-A-Horse, driving zippy cars around hairpin curves, not to mention Marathon Shopping and Iron Man Triathalon Dining...

They, each, are lovely. Together, they're a delight.

Posted by Sha_Sha (# 10880) on :

I nominate: Comet
Reasons: you can always count on her to say something interesting or funny, even if she doesn't agree with you. She is also a very caring person.

I also nominate: Paddy O'Furniture
Reasons: She is a really funny and intelligent person online or off.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Is this where we praise Shipmeet hosts and organisers?

NOMINATION

I nominate Smudgie the inimitable, the hyperactive, the smallest penguin on ship

Reasons: Over the years she has hosted an annual shipmeet on the Isle of Wight which has attracted Shippies from over the Great Britain and associated islands and from scattered places around the world.

In addition to this gargantuan effort, she opens her home to stray shippies from Australia, the Orient and the North American continent whenever they land nearby.

Smudgie! The hostess with the mostest and her sidekicks!

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

I'll second the Smudgie shipmate of the year nomination [Yipee]

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
I'll second the Smudgie shipmate of the year nomination [Yipee]

You nipped in before me, Emma! Nomination 'thirded' then. [Yipee]

Posted by Melangell (# 4023) on :

Smudgie - another vote in favour of her nomination. [Angel]

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sha_Sha:

Red Carpet Gown On

Sha_Sha, as Comet is a host, she is not eligible for this award. Also, please be sure that all future nominations contain NOMINATION at the beginning.

Red Carpet Gown Off

[ 12. December 2008, 11:16: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

I thought the Simmies were a really bad idea... but maybe, if Smudgie can be voted Shipmate of the Year, there's some point to them...

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Ye Olde Motherboarde

My reasons for nominating: YOM (with her sidekick, JB) host the Santa Fe Shipmeet every summer. I haven't made it yet, but it seems to be the biggest and best Shipmeet of the year. YOM also keeps track of everyone's "Birthdays, Saints Days and Just Fun Days" and is just a ray of sunshine on these Boards.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

What I want to know is, how are we supposed to narrow it down? The Ship is crawling with fantastic people...

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

While, in theory, I can't say I care for the concept of the categories of Award which seem to be an Individual Unpopularity/Popularity Contest, I do think it worthwhile adding my support for

NOMINATION: SMUDGIE

FOR: SHIPMATE OF THE YEAR

My reasons for nominating: All that others have said. Although I couldn't make the whole Wightmeet this year, I and my carload were kindly welcomed for the Treasure Hunt Saturday (though by the time we finished, she had eaten all the grub and left only a handful of Pringles an' a bit of limp salad [Biased] ). She subsequently gave me very helpful tips in constructing a similar event for my church's first attempt at Feast Week jollities.

Plus, and this is really the crux of it, though all her recent problems, she's been incredibly open and honest and has shown - to me anyway - what it is to bear such a burden with truly amazing grace, generosity of spirit and still retain a sense of humour.

[ 12. December 2008, 17:49: Message edited by: Jahlove ]

Posted by Zwingli (# 4438) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Mousethief.

My reasons for nominating: Made several thousand posts, a handful of which were worth reading, putting him above many other Shipmates. Was a good sport about the Godwin's Law video, whose jokes I have shamelessly stolen for this nomination. Proves that, on almost any subject imaginable, it is possible to have an opinion which is intelligent, educated, witty - and wrong. And mostly because, despite disagreeing with me vehemently on the boards, he is still warm-hearted, compassionate and forgiving.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Ken.

My reasons for nominating:Basically he is the only shipmate who can tempt me to read a thread I was otherwise uninterested in, just because he was showing up as having posted on it. His comments are well researched, interesting, and generally worth listening to, and he is a mine of fascinating information.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

I'll second ken. Because he not only has strong opinions that have illuminated many threads this year, but can back them up with well-reasoned argument and debate of the highest order. And because I've never seen him act like a jerk, or flame someone when they haven't richly deserved it.

But mostly because, despite the fact that he and I disagree strongly (and sometimes angrily) about politics, he is never anything other than civil and friendly at meets. Such camaraderie and friendship despite disagreement is what I think the true spirit of the Ship is all about [Smile] .

He would be a worthy winner of this award.

Posted by uffda (# 14310) on :

Nomination

I nominate Smudgie

For: Shipmate of the year

Reasons: Along with all the wonderful things others have said, her contributions on CIRCUS are hilarious, and have brought much joy to others. A well-rounded penquin, indeed.

[ 14. December 2008, 20:51: Message edited by: uffda ]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Nomination

I nominate: babybear

My reasons for nominating: Her posts are always interesting to read, but beyond that, she is a very brave woman, hosting strange 'Mercans (who eat funny) into her home. She is also one of the most caring and comforting people I have ever met.

[ 14. December 2008, 21:28: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

I wish to second the nomination for Telepath, for her wonderful ministry of prayer.

However, Smudgie is a close second. And then there's Motherboard. And...

As an ex-Chicagoan, I trust there are provisions for stuffing the ballot box.

Ross

Posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd) (# 12163) on :

I'd like to nominate Foaming Draught.

For Shipmate of the Year.

He is a man of great warmth and passion. His posts are often incredibly insightful and underplayed. He has strong opinions but also Christian charity. The hospitality and kindness he has shown to so many - not just in Australia -is indeed praiseworthy.

He's the sort of person who keeps things going smoothly and seemingly effortlessly.

[ 14. December 2008, 21:55: Message edited by: Sir Pellinore (ret'd) ]

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
As an ex-Chicagoan, I trust there are provisions for stuffing the ballot box.

Vote early, vote often... Perhaps we could sell the awards as allegedly happens in Illinois?

I was going to second someone, but I think all of the nominees are strong contenders. Anyone got a fence for me to sit on?

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

Nomination

I would like to nominate Josephine. However, I really want to nominate her for Shipmate of the Decade, rather than the year, as the posts that really stick in my mind as some of the best ever on the Ship go back a little while. She has helped me understand Orthodoxy much better, posting with wit and clarity on difficult and emotional subjects. Thanks to her there are now issues where, although I still disagree with the Orthodox line, I can see why the issue matters so much to Orthodox. I've also found her witty and courteous at all times, and would love to see her getting honoured.

Posted by rexory (# 4708) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
I'd like to nominate Foaming Draught.

For Shipmate of the Year.

He is a man of great warmth and passion. His posts are often incredibly insightful and underplayed. He has strong opinions but also Christian charity. The hospitality and kindness he has shown to so many - not just in Australia -is indeed praiseworthy.

He's the sort of person who keeps things going smoothly and seemingly effortlessly.

Seconded. He keeps track of many birthdays, anniversaries and other events, has a very pastoral heart - and a beautiful wife [Overused]

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

I'd second Josephine. Not only is she wise, witty and compassionate but I also feel sorry for her for being married to Mousethief.

Perhaps that is how she has developed her virtues ...

Gamaliel

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

Another person torn between two nominations, Telepath, for her work on the prayer thread, and Ken, just for general all-round good-shipmateness.

Posted by chicklegirl (# 11741) on :

Please add another vote for Curiosity killed... for all the same reasons as everyone else.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I'd second Josephine. Not only is she wise, witty and compassionate but I also feel sorry for her for being married to Mousethief.

No, she had the virtues before she married me, which is why I married her. God knows why she married me.

Zwingli: thank you for your kind words.

Posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd) (# 12163) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

No, she had the virtues before she married me, which is why I married her. God knows why she married me.

I think neither of you would have been begging to find a decent partner. The fact you found each other is a decided plus.

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

quote:

No need to feel sorry for me, Gamaliel. Being married to Mousethief is a blessing and a joy.

He cooks, he does laundry, he fixes things around the house. He keeps my bird feeders filled. He likes to talk about etymology and philosophy and books. He likes stories that have beginnings and middles and proper endings. He cares for my children as if they were his (and indeed adopted the two younger ones). He graciously hosted my former in-laws for visits out here when they were still able to travel. He writes poetry, he sings. He prays. He calms me down if I get wound up. He cleans up his own messes. He removes spiders from the house. He laughs at himself. He puns outrageously. He encourages me to try things that I have been too unsure of myself to try, cheers me when I succeed, consoles me when I don't.

I'm sure that I've thoroughly embarrassed him now, but that's okay. He may or may not be a wonderful shipmate -- that's not for me to decide. But he is a wonderful husband.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

[Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

[Overused] [Angel]

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
...He cooks, he does laundry, he fixes things around the house.

Yeah, but he's crap at yardwork.

I've already nominated someone else for Shipmate of the Year, but I have to agree with this assessment of Matt Black:

quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:

Posted by tclune (# 7959) on :

quote:
quote:

No need to feel sorry for me, Gamaliel. Being married to Mousethief is a blessing and a joy.

As I understand it, you Orthdoxen view marriage as a spiritual struggle. Perhaps that explains it... [Big Grin]

--Tom Clune

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

I'm glad I haven't got to make the decision on this - they're all so different, and all great!

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

Well, so much for that last post - I'd picked up on the fact that hosts could now nominate and be nominated, but only just read the complete changes and see that we'll all be voting!

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Another for Curiousity Killed The Cat.

Not just for posting, organising and the "mugging", all of which are worth recognition, but for her service in the cafe: being there, keeping the conversation running and welcoming newcomers to the cafe.

Posted by antSJD (# 13598) on :

quote:

I concur. Matt Black also gets my vote.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

just to make sure it's legit:
NOMINATION
quote:

so seconded. or whatever.

but my reasoning is because Matt could have easily been the Golden Asshat a few years back. He's proof that you can redeem yourself around here. He's become one of my favorite posters after having stuck with us through our anger at some pretty shitty behavior.

I appreciate his sheer determination and willingness to slog through the slop to make up for his mistakes.

Call him the Come Back Kid.

Posted by Paddy O'Furniture (# 12953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sha_Sha:
Reasons: you can always count on her to say something interesting or funny, even if she doesn't agree with you. She is also a very caring person.

I also nominate: Paddy O'Furniture
Reasons: She is a really funny and intelligent person online or off.

Thanks. I don't always present myself very well here but offline, well, I'm a bit less... obnoxious.

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

I'm humbled and grateful for the kind but undeserved nominations. My own is as follows:

Nomination

I nominate: Josephine

Reasons: what Robert said above. Plus her posts are characterised by kindness, charity, caring, wisdom, experience and a deep faith.

[ 18. December 2008, 11:53: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

Posted by Pooks (# 11425) on :

Nomination

I nominate: §Andrew

My reason for nominating: §Andrew has been involved in plenty of arguments and has taken a fair amount of flack on the Ship. We have seen lesser characters flounce off as soon as some unpleasantness was flung at them, but not §Andrew. Whether I agree with his theological views or not, I have to say that I admire his tenacity and commitment to the Ship; he has stuck around. I don't know what criteria are used to judge who receives this award, but if we are prepared to go beyond a popularity contest and look at an individual's contribution that makes the Ship such a unique vessel, I think §Andrew has added plenty to the Ship's unrest by giving us his unique point of view so unyieldingly over the years.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

I know that Americans 'get' irony. At least sometimes. Mousethief's Onion Dome is testimony to that.

But I was probably being too tongue-in-cheek in my comments about the thieving rodent. But at least it elicited a truly touching uxorious moment from Josephine.

Not a dry eye in the house.

[Tear] [Votive]

Seriously, folks, I like both Josephine and Mousethief. They're among my favourite shipmates as well as favourite Orthodoxen.

Better go before this becomes too much of a group-hug fest ...

Mousethief can irritate at times. Which of us can't? But he's there among the top rank in my view.

Gamaliel

PS Matt Black. Yay!

Posted by Beenster (# 242) on :

quote:
quote:

He cooks, he does laundry, he fixes things around the house. He keeps my bird feeders filled. He likes to talk about etymology and philosophy and books. He likes stories that have beginnings and middles and proper endings. He cares for my children as if they were his (and indeed adopted the two younger ones). He graciously hosted my former in-laws for visits out here when they were still able to travel. He writes poetry, he sings. He prays. He calms me down if I get wound up. He cleans up his own messes. He removes spiders from the house. He laughs at himself. He puns outrageously. He encourages me to try things that I have been too unsure of myself to try, cheers me when I succeed, consoles me when I don't.

I'm sure that I've thoroughly embarrassed him now, but that's okay. He may or may not be a wonderful shipmate -- that's not for me to decide. But he is a wonderful husband.

Oh sweet Jesus that is beautiful. I think that is probably the most romantic post I have ever read. I have a warm glow.

quote:
Originally posted by comet:

but my reasoning is because Matt could have easily been the Golden Asshat a few years back. He's proof that you can redeem yourself around here. He's become one of my favorite posters after having stuck with us through our anger at some pretty shitty behavior.

A Comeback of the Year award would be a great way to replace the Golden Asshat. Shipmates could still be mocked for past indiscretions, but they would also be praised for recent improvements, rather than the unrelenting negativity of being mocked for being a complete asshat for the past 12 months.

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Erin

My reasons for nominating: Erin has neither hosted nor attended Shipmeets, but has encouraged and supported her fellow Shippies in much more subtle ways. She has ruthlessly defended this Ship against trolls and other pestilence for years. She keeps the Ship sailing smoothly with the help of a well-selected team whom she directs with the aid of her rusty farm implement. She is reviled by a number of Shipmates towards whom she has demonstrated a large quantity of mercy. Although she could press the button that makes her detractors disappear, she wields that power wisely. She participates in Shiplife by entering debates and discussions with passion (and Hellish vitriol). Through this all, she has maintained the Gator Mystique™.

Why does she do this? Because it earns her a couple of bits of white chocolate? Or possibly because she genuinely loves this Ship.

To my mind, she actually deserves Shipmate of the Decade, but as Shipmate of the Year is all that's on offer, I thusly nominate her. (I would have also nominated her for Golden Asshat, because what sort of nutter takes the abuse she does for just a bit of wannabe choccie?)

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I'll drink to that!

Posted by the famous rachel (# 1258) on :

Nomination

I nominate: Jengie Jon

My reasons for nominating: Jengie Jon has organised the walking around the world thread, which I have really enjoyed this year and has taken a lot of care over keeping the records of the distances walked and the statistics up-to-date on the web page he set up. I think this has been a really fun community activity for the Ship's 10th Anniversary.

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate my dear Erin for Shipmate of the Year.

I have IM'd, (I miss not having time for those now) talked on the phone, e-mailed, and laughed with her for years. (We still have never met, BUT WE WILL SOMEDAY!) I think you could say that she is my oldest ship friend. We've been through a bit of angst together, but she keeps things in perspective and fights like a tigress for the ship when needed. You could say, she is the "total package" as a shipmate. I just think she is the best.

[Axe murder]

[ 21. December 2008, 18:51: Message edited by: Ye Olde Motherboarde ]

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

quote:
Originally posted by the famous rachel:
Nomination

My reasons for nominating: Jengie Jon has organised the walking around the world thread, which I have really enjoyed this year and has taken a lot of care over keeping the records of the distances walked and the statistics up-to-date on the web page he set up. I think this has been a really fun community activity for the Ship's 10th Anniversary.

He? Surely Jengie Jon is a woman?!
[Confused]

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

But doesn't that strengthen the nomination? It's based on what JJ is doing on the Ship rather than the nominator's personal experience of what a nice person the nominee is, which seems to be the basis for many nominations.

[ 22. December 2008, 08:27: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

Posted by the famous rachel (# 1258) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
But doesn't that strengthen the nomination? It's based on what JJ is doing on the Ship rather than the nominator's personal experience of what a nice person the nominee is, which seems to be the basis for many nominations.

Quite. I have no idea whether Jengie Jon is male or female. (I was assuming male based on the Jon part). However, I think the Walking Around the Wolrd thread he/she set up is great, and I think it's been a lot of work keeping the whole thing up-to-date. His/her gender is pretty irrelevant to that. [Smile]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

[Check the Gallery -- JJ's a she.]

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Nomination

I nominate: KenWritez

My reason: KenWritez, always a witty, intelligent and thought-provoking poster, quietly stopped posting on the Ship at some unspecified date in the past (I honestly can't remember when). KenWritez presumably had his own reasons for leaving, and left without posting a "Goodbye Cruel Ship!" thread in Hell, All Saints, or anyplace else to draw attention to his departure. Instead, he folded his tents like the Arabs, and as silently stole away.

Subsequently, within the last few months, KenWritez returned to posting regularly, again without huge fanfare or an attention-getting announcement. Just decided it was time to do so again, and started once again honing his deadly wit and making excellent posts all over the place.

KenWritez was, long ago, the first person to virulently disagree with me on a Hell thread, and also the first person to pm me and say he liked something I'd posted to someone else in Hell. I missed his insight and humour while he was away and have laughed out loud several times and nodded my head thoughtfully a few more, at things he's posted since coming back. I'm glad he's back on board, and I'm gladdest of all that he came and went for reasons of his own without needing to be an attention whore about the whole process.

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

quote:
Originally posted by the famous rachel:
Nomination

Seconded, thirded, supported, whatever, by me.

Posted by Makepiece (# 10454) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Ken

For: Shipmate of the year.

Reasons: Because he's from Lewisham.

There are other reasons but he would probably be annoyed if I made reference to his originality of insight, depth of knowledge and impressive use of language.

Posted by dolphy (# 862) on :

I Nominate JediJudy

For Shipmate of the year.

Because, not only does she put others before herself but she has been a solid and well loved shipmate for many years.

She has also wiped many tears away when loved ones left, she has been a shoulder, a rock and one to make people laugh when they are really fed up.

[ 31. December 2008, 15:34: Message edited by: dolphy ]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Grits

My reasons for nominating: Grits, like Kenwritez, went quiet for a while and returned after a break with more impact than ever. She appears to have the ability to simultaneously put her high-heeled stiletto on the prone, submissive bodies of RooK, KenWritez, The Bede's American Successor and probably several other less bold shipmates as well, and have them hanging on her every -erm- word. Yes, that's it, every..... word.

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 95) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate Kelly Alves

For Shipmate of the Year

Kelly has a big heart and a ready wit. Besides her work as Host, she is the heart and soul of the No-Cal (heh heh heh - she came up with that) shipmate social scene and is definitely a "hostess with the mostest". She took her Meet-and-Greet show on the road to Blighty with apparently great effect - world wide KelMeets!! (She met the Captain. I am officially jellus.)

She is amazingly gracious under (a hell of a lot of) pressure and is just one of those All Around Cool People.

Charlotte

© Ship of Fools 2016