homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » High church Lutherans in the SF Bay Area?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: High church Lutherans in the SF Bay Area?
Amanda in the South Bay
Apprentice
# 18185

- Posted      Profile for Amanda in the South Bay   Email Amanda in the South Bay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there any remotely high *ELCA* Lutheran parishes in the San Francisco Bay Area? Places that put the evangelical in evangelical catholic, and don't have praise bands as their main service?

I've tended to notice that all American Lutheran denominations tend towards a very low style of worship, and that "traditional" American Lutheran liturgy tends to be what most Episcopalians would recognize as vanilla 79 BCP/MOTR.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy, not even most of the LCMS churches around here fit that bill. The closest thing to a high Lutheran church I can think of closed a few years back-- and that was a full- on German Lutheran outpost near Mission Dolores. They even had German language services.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vetus Organorum
Apprentice
# 17990

- Posted      Profile for Vetus Organorum   Email Vetus Organorum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a former High Church Lutheran, now a Roman Catholic, I can understand where you are coming from. Yet, there are high church parishes out there, and I suspect there are some in the San Francisco, area. You might ask an ELCA pastor, or try the Synod Office. Hang in there and keep looking.
Posts: 5 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Vetus Organorum
Apprentice
# 17990

- Posted      Profile for Vetus Organorum   Email Vetus Organorum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amanda, may have found something. Try St. Mark's, 1111 O'Farrell St., San Francisco, 94109, with a phone #of 415-928-7770. They do have an excellent web site also.
Vetus Organorum
Apprentice
# 17990

Sorry for the bad grammar in my previous post. [Frown]
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that might work. The last time I was actually at St Mark's ( years ago) they were pursuing a folk style,that's why it didn't leap to mind. ( the website is much sleeker than it was, too. )

(When I was a youngster, my youth group made a project of visiting every Lutheran church within reasonable distance-- at the time mist of them seemed pretty low candle.)

[ 04. August 2014, 22:33: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christ Church in the Sunset District should fit the bill. I've come across the pastor in the Facebook group of the Society for the Preservation of the Evangelical Lutheran Liturgy.

[ 05. August 2014, 04:05: Message edited by: LQ ]

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda in the South Bay
Apprentice
# 18185

- Posted      Profile for Amanda in the South Bay   Email Amanda in the South Bay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the advice, alas for a region as large as the Bay Area the choices are slim.
ChippedChalice
Shipmate
# 14057

- Posted      Profile for ChippedChalice   Email ChippedChalice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Mark's is physically beautiful -- especially the windows. But Christ Church in the Sunset District is indeed your best bet for high church Lutheran liturgy.
Posts: 131 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as a Lutheran, while I was trained all the smells and bells at Seminary, I would admit one would be hard pressed to find a real high church in most areas. I can think of one in NYC, but that's not San Francisco. [Smile]
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to affirm the recommendation of Christ Lutheran made by LQ. The pastor is a classmate of mine, and I think you will find the liturgy to your liking. He is a very serious student of the liturgy, and frequently posts pictures of their liturgy on FB.

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Speaking as a Lutheran, while I was trained all the smells and bells at Seminary, I would admit one would be hard pressed to find a real high church in most areas.

Perhaps we need an ELCA/ELCiC edition of the Evangelical-Lutheran Liturgical Congregations directory?

[ 09. August 2014, 02:35: Message edited by: LQ ]

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Speaking as a Lutheran, while I was trained all the smells and bells at Seminary, I would admit one would be hard pressed to find a real high church in most areas. I can think of one in NYC, but that's not San Francisco. [Smile]

IN NYC (Manhattan), wouldn't Holy Trinity, St Peter's, and St Luke's all qualify these days?

As to San Fran, from what I know of their pastor as an fb friend, I would also endorse the recommendation of Christ Lutheran Church.

[ 16. August 2014, 12:58: Message edited by: Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras ]

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
quote:

IN NYC (Manhattan), wouldn't Holy Trinity, St Peter's, and St Luke's all qualify these days?

All three of these parishes have been Mystery Worshiped: St. Luke's in 2013 (#2537), Holy Trinity in 2013 (#2512), and St. Peter's twice, in 2009 (#1847) and 2011 (#2153).
The Chicago area, too, boasts at least three evangelical-catholic parishes: St. Luke's, Holy Trinity, and (in Evanston) Immanuel.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016