homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Grammatical infelicities (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Grammatical infelicities
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently I spotted two ads:

"Attack the day with a bellyful of tasty"
and
"Find your happy with [company name]"

Which isn't verbing the noun so much as nouning the adjective. As advertising slogans, they certainly linger in the mind, although they're probably not that successful because I'd have to think a bit harder to remember the name of the products they were endorsing. They were sufficiently annoying for me to spend a short while thinking about the ad, which is probably the point.

Some people invariably claim at this point that "language evolves", but whether this sort of thing counts as evolution or a retrograde step isn't entirely clear. Anyway, I know some of you have come across phrases that annoy you in either their grammatical infelicities or lack of precision, or all three, so have at it a) going forward. Sorted!

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"A quality product" to me sounds meaningless. All right, I presume that it is ellipsis for "high quality" ... but all products have quality, the question is whether that is good or poor!

I get annoyed on the TV weather forecasts by unnecessary adverbs (at least I think they are adverbs): "Bands of rain will be sinking down", "The winds will ease back" and the like.

[ 29. August 2016, 07:51: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The notorious 'Are you beach body ready?' irritated me more for the grammar than the sexism. I could only make sense of it by putting a comma after 'you' and 'body' - and altering the pronounciation somewhat, so that it became an interrogation of some surfer dude cousin of Cheyenne Bodie.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

I get annoyed on the TV weather forecasts by unnecessary adverbs (at least I think they are adverbs): "Bands of rain will be sinking down", "The winds will ease back" and the like.

There's them as holds they're prepositions of direction. Aarrh.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could well be right!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's "state of the art"?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's bleeding edge technology.

(Which always sounded like the feeder line for a Hancock sketch to me).

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Which isn't verbing the noun so much as nouning the adjective.

And then there's the evil scum that insist on adverbing the adjective.

"Eat Healthy!"

Eat healthy what? Eat healthy people?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
What's "state of the art"?

It's a precise legal term in the intellectual property field, especially regarding patents. Elsewhere treat it with disdain.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Which isn't verbing the noun so much as nouning the adjective.

And then there's the evil scum that insist on adverbing the adjective.

"Eat Healthy!"

Eat healthy what? Eat healthy people?

You are what you eat. [Devil]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The misplaced modifier reigns supreme these days, or so it seems.

One of our local TV stations is infamous for including typos and obvious grammatical bloopers in their news crawl.

This morning, for example, we were saddened to learn that "Olympic athlete sent to hospital with infection."

Yeah, we know those hospitals are hotbeds of bacteria, but why choose one that was known to be infected? Weren't there other infection-free hospitals in the area that the athlete could have chosen?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but the athlete, being an Olympic athlete, was clearly super-healthy, so s/he got sent on a mission to a hospital that was riddled with infection in order to counter-infect it with his or her own brand of Olympic healthiness. Obvs.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The -d of the adjectival form of verbs is dying. Example: until quite recently we used to drink iced tea; now we drink ice tea. There are others.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The -d of the adjectival form of verbs is dying. Example: until quite recently we used to drink iced tea; now we drink ice tea.

You might, but we don't. The exception here is ice cream, which has been called that for decades.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
The -d of the adjectival form of verbs is dying. Example: until quite recently we used to drink iced tea; now we drink ice tea. There are others.

"Box sets" (of films etc.)
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The -d of the adjectival form of verbs is dying. Example: until quite recently we used to drink iced tea; now we drink ice tea.

You might, but we don't. The exception here is ice cream, which has been called that for decades.
I have tried to google this to no avail. I know there are other examples but "adjectives ending in d" or "adjectives ending in ed" only give you vocabulary lists, not the blog entry I vaguely remember.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate dangling superlatives, like "House for sale, newer carpets." Though it probably would say "...newer carpet's." [Help]

I also cannot abide common usage of the word "traditional" to refer to the habit of a single individual. In the Olympics, it was said of an athlete that he traditionally listened to <some song or other> before competing.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I hate dangling superlatives, like "House for sale, newer carpets." Though it probably would say "...newer carpet's." [Help]

That's not superlative that's comparative. [Razz]

quote:
I also cannot abide common usage of the word "traditional" to refer to the habit of a single individual. In the Olympics, it was said of an athlete that he traditionally listened to <some song or other> before competing.
That had never occurred to me but good call.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

It seems that in these parts, it takes about five minutes to establish a new "tradition". A few years ago, my church inaugurated a social evening for the church men. It was successful, and was repeated the following year, when it was advertised as "traditional".

quote:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes dislike the improper use of "unique". Nothing can be more or less unique; it is sometime appropriate to say something is unique in some fashion among the members of some collection.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the -ed being dropping. "used to" versus "use to", which used to mean different things.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh! what I hate hate HATE is the tendency to have direct objects perform the verb, as in "the new book released last Wednesday." No, it didn't, you dumbass, the publisher released it. What precisely do you think books release, pages? hot air?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I sometimes dislike the improper use of "unique". Nothing can be more or less unique; it is sometime appropriate to say something is unique in some fashion among the members of some collection.

Along the same lines, for the last few years I have been hearing/seeing "one of the only".

NO NO NO. Either something is the only [one], or it isn't.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Very true.

(Augh! Something is either true or it's not. True does not admit of degrees!)

--------------------

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about 'fresh' eggs? Well, I jolly well hope they are fresh. Surely they wouldn't be selling them otherwise? Or do they mean fresh as opposed to dried, pickled or powdered?
Also, I can't stand 'bin' having been turned into a verb...I know it was a catchy phrase encouraging people to dispose of their rubbish properly, which might be ok just used for that - but now everyone says 'bin it'. But for all I know, it does now count as a verb.

Posts: 111 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I imagine "fresh eggs" is in the same category as "creamery butter." (The place where they make butter is called a "creamery" so it all is creamery butter.) Designed to sound good, as a selling point, but ultimately meaningless.

As a meta point, I dislike "That's not a word." It most certainly is a word. It's just a bad one. Examples include "irregardless" which sucks because it is an unnecessary synonym that etymologically is a double negative, and "ain't" which has better bona fides as a word than much of our current vocabulary, although you'd never use it in a resume (if you wanted the job) or college paper (if you wanted the grade).

I would ask my students: can you spell it? can you pronounce it? do you know what it means? then it's a word.

--------------------

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I imagine "fresh eggs" is in the same category as "creamery butter." (The place where they make butter is called a "creamery" so it all is creamery butter.) Designed to sound good, as a selling point, but ultimately meaningless.

As a meta point, I dislike "That's not a word." It most certainly is a word. It's just a bad one. Examples include "irregardless" which sucks because it is an unnecessary synonym that etymologically is a double negative, and "ain't" which has better bona fides as a word than much of our current vocabulary, although you'd never use it in a resume (if you wanted the job) or college paper (if you wanted the grade).

I would ask my students: can you spell it? can you pronounce it? do you know what it means? then it's a word.

I think perhaps it helps if you've done at least a little Latin and also learnt a couple of other languages as it makes you more aware of words' origins and how sentences are constructed. I think they are bringing back more formal grammar lessons in schools now which I think is a good thing. Not that I expect people to to use perfect grammar all the time (I certainly don't, but when you get even teachers making quite bad mistakes sometimes, it doesn't seem to bode very well.
A couple of years ago my grand-daughter brought home an English worksheet from primary school. I think she had to insert the right verbs or whatever, but anyhow, there was a glaring mistake on this paper. I really, really wanted to go into the school and point it out to the teacher, but as I'm the grandmother, not the parent, didn't feel it was my place. (I don't think, by the way, that the teacher had compiled these sheets, I think they were probably printed off from somewhere else, but even so, it irritated me).

Posts: 111 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Ah, the food-pimping adjective. In the UK, it's often attaching a County name to, usually, ham. Wiltshire Ham suggest ham from happy pigs roaming the Cotswolds before being cured in the rafters of yeoman farmhouses. Whereasthe reality is more likely an abbatoir in Swindon.

Some counties have more cachet than others: I don't think I've seen any charcuterie trying to attract me by claiming to be from Essex or Cleveland.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
"A quality product" to me sounds meaningless. All right, I presume that it is ellipsis for "high quality" ... but all products have quality, the question is whether that is good or poor!

I agree, but I fear this horse left the barn decades ago. [Frown]

--------------------

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My greatest linguistic loathing is the lack of agreement between subject and verb, particularly where collective nouns are concerned. I know "linguists say it's correct nowadays" but they're wrong! It was incorrect for a reason and the reason is as valid today as it was last century. I rather suspect the BBC has made a conscious decision to start treating collective nouns as plurals, because this misuse began quite suddenly in Auntie's broadcasting and it now seems to have become standard. Immediately afterwards, of course, you can probably hear me (wherever you are in the world) yelling at the wireless/TV...

"The Government are planning educational reforms." IS PLANNING!
"England are playing at Lords today." IS PLAYING!
"The BBC are broadcasting grammatical horrors." IS BROADCASTING!
"The Household Cavalry are escorting the Queen." IS ESCORTING!

Edited because I can do grammar but not, apparently, typing.

[ 29. August 2016, 23:12: Message edited by: Teekeey Misha ]

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferdzy:
quote:

Along the same lines, for the last few years I have been hearing/seeing "one of the only".

NO NO NO. Either something is the only [one], or it isn't.

And the whole repertoire of "Various differences". If there are differences then there will be a variety of them.

(If someone can find an excuse for this let me know, because it drives me spare)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Teekeey Misha:

If that was a direct quote from the Beeb, it would most likely be, "BBC are broadcasting..." For some reason they've decided to drop the definite article from the names of countries and organizations. So "United States have sent troops..." and "World Health Organization issued a statement..."

Anyhow, that irritation aside, my current pet hate is computer software trying to be friendly and trendy. I don't want to press a button marked "OK" and be taken to a menu where the options begin with "My..." and have the option to "Learn more". I'm not a child. Don't talk down to me.

[ 30. August 2016, 16:36: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
My greatest linguistic loathing is the lack of agreement between subject and verb, particularly where collective nouns are concerned.

"The Government are planning educational reforms." IS PLANNING!
"England are playing at Lords today." IS PLAYING!
"The Household Cavalry are escorting the Queen..." IS ESCORTING!

To what extent is this wrong? Although I agree with you, can I play Devil's Advocate and contend that there is an ellipsis in most of these sentences:

"(Ministers in the Government) are planning ..."
"(The eleven members of the) England (cricket team) are playing ..."
"(Mounted troops from) the Household Cavalry are escorting ...".
But I see no way of making the esteemed Corporation into a plural; being even more impersonal than the other entities it simply has to remain singular.

[ 30. August 2016, 16:43: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Right at the moment England is running up a record score but Morgan and Buttler are making hay

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To what extent is this wrong? Although I agree with you, can I play Devil's Advocate and contend that there is an ellipsis in most of these sentences:

I don't think they are particularly examples of ellipsis - at least not deliberately. If they had said, "Ministers of the Government" then it would be plural and "are" would be correct. When broadcasters refer to "The Government", though, they are not employing ellipsis to remove superfluous words; they are referring to the singular entity that is "the Government."

[ 30. August 2016, 17:00: Message edited by: Teekeey Misha ]

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Free Range Eggs!

Walked round on their own, did they?

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
When broadcasters refer to "The Government", though, they are not employing ellipsis to remove superfluous words; they are referring to the singular entity that is "the Government."

It has for a long time been acceptable in British English to use either singular or plural verbs with most collective nouns.

"The Government" in most contexts is used to refer to the political actions of Her Majesty's Government (a collective entity) rather than to denote the strictly singular political/legal concept.

So if you're talking about the actions of HMG, "The Government are" is acceptable. If you're talking about the structure of the government, you are obliged to say "The government is comprised of ..."

ETA: The distinction between singular and plural verb forms for behaviours attributed to the collective entity en masse rather than the individual members of that entity seems to be a little stronger in American usage.

[ 30. August 2016, 17:17: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by andras:
Free Range Eggs!

Walked round on their own, did they?

Worse: "Free Range Pork Sausages" (or, sometimes, "Outdoor Bred Pork Sausages" - all those little chipolatas galloping around the field).
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

quote:
It has for a long time been acceptable in British English to use either singular or plural verbs with most collective nouns.

That's just it; I don't think it has been acceptable for a long time. I'm sure people have done it for a long time but it's only relatively recently that it has become acceptable; certainly it is only recently that the Beeb has started doing it. Rather like splitting infinitives and ending sentences with a preposition, people have recently decided "Oh, it doesn't really matter, because people have always done it."

--------------------
Misha

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

Oh, and whilst I'm in moaning mode...

"Literally." Even as I wrote my last post, the BBC weatherman said:

quote:
Here's a picture of Norfolk; isn't it beautiful? I can literally almost feel the spray on that beach.
What? It's bad enough that he thinks he can "literally" feel the spray from a photograph taken hundreds of miles away. That he thinks he can "literally almost feel" it is even worse.

--------------------
Misha

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Rather like splitting infinitives and ending sentences with a preposition, people have recently decided "Oh, it doesn't really matter, because people have always done it."

Both those things are "rules" invented by people with an obsession with Latin grammar. Despite their best efforts, English isn't Latin, has never been Latin, and there's no reason to pretend that it is Latin.

Both "rules" are reasonable guidelines - it is usually better not to split an infinitive, and it is often better not to end a sentence with a preposition. But, as an example, trying to un-split "the number of split infinitives used in these pages is expected to more than double this week" does not aid clarity, and is nonsense up with which I will not put.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't 'The government comprises' better?
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

quote:
Both "rules" are reasonable guidelines - it is usually better not to split an infinitive, and it is often better not to end a sentence with a preposition.

Adding clarity and elegance are the key; I would never suggest either the infinitives or preposition "rules" as being unbreakable because it is sometimes clearer and more elegant to break those rules. That, though, was not the reason suggested for abandoning subject-verb agreement and just as well, too, since it does neither.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

Perhaps. "Is comprised of" has a long pedigree in English, for all that the purists tend to poke at it, but "comprises" is certainly OK.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Different subject. Wiltshire Ham is not made up like Lochmuir Salmon in M&S, it is a genuine form of ham. I have actually seen it on the hoof, in fields, south of the Cotswolds, which are not in Wiltshire. Wiltshire Cure

I will avoid the traditional family joke about cured meat.

Though it is not in the article, I think there was an association in the area between dairy farming (and I think creamery butter means not factory butter, not blended from various sources) and pig farming, since the pigs could be fed on whey and buttermilk, otherwise waste products.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
quote:

Perhaps. "Is comprised of" has a long pedigree in English, for all that the purists tend to poke at it, but "comprises" is certainly OK.
I tend to think 'comprised of' to be estate agent speak. It was one of my Dad's bugbears.
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, and whilst I'm in moaning mode...

"Literally." Even as I wrote my last post, the BBC weatherman said:

quote:
Here's a picture of Norfolk; isn't it beautiful? I can literally almost feel the spray on that beach.
What? It's bad enough that he thinks he can "literally" feel the spray from a photograph taken hundreds of miles away. That he thinks he can "literally almost feel" it is even worse.
A few years ago I overheard a young woman on the train telling a friend how she had just dumped her boyfriend. The sentence I particularly remember is "I literally grew a pair of bollocks and told him"

[Eek!]

One that annoys me is people in shops/pubs/restaurants who say "can I get ..." when ordering something

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
One that annoys me is people in shops/pubs/restaurants who say "can I get ..." when ordering something

"Can I get..."
"Sure, no worries."

The Metro's Rush Hour Crush section frequently has people saying "Let's grab a coffee." No, let's be polite and not snatch.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Different subject. Wiltshire Ham

So it is. Let's stay with the evil that men do to grammar.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

quote:
...south of the Cotswolds, which are not in Wiltshire.

The Cotswold Tourist Partnership would beg to differ here (scroll down to the third paragraph), as does the map here.

[ 30. August 2016, 19:38: Message edited by: Teekeey Misha ]

--------------------
Misha

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016