homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Definitive List of First Shipmeets - 10th birthday retro feature (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Definitive List of First Shipmeets - 10th birthday retro feature
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We tried for another mini one in Mildura eighteen months ago but I got held up in Tibooburra! [Frown]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first Berkshire meet - that I know of - was held in Hampshire, at the Vyne (National trust stately home), Sherborne St John, Basingstoke, in summer or early autumn 2003, I think. Attendees: Myself, Mr M, Footdoc and daughter, Melangell, Pipkin (now Michele), Mrs P snr and the Pipkinettes, Poppy and the little Poppies, Nanny Ogg ...apologies if I've forgotten anybody.

Then there was the Basingstoke shopping centre mini-meet with self, JillyB, Emma and Alan. I can remember having problems with my mobile phone, and Emma invading the gents' toilets in Pizza Hut. [Smile] Can't remember the date for that one.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
The first Berkshire meet - that I know of - was held in Hampshire,

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
TreeBee and I had a Mini Meet in Milton Keynes sometime in 2004, I think. Followed by a Milton Keynes meet attended by TreeBee, Marvin, Kingsfold and ooh, someone else who I am mortified to have forgotten. I am sorry, Whoever you are.
We met for lunch in a tapas bar, did something else in the afternoon (or maybe we went our separate ways) and then met in The Barge pub in the evening. However I have no idea of dates. Probably 2004 or 2005. Anyone help with dates?

As far as I know, one of these would count as the first Milton Keynes Meet.

I'm so glad I keep a 5 year diary!
We met on Saturday March 12th 2005.
The person Dormouse forgot was fee.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We set up the first Paris shipmeet in March 2007 - can't actually remember the exact date. We met here and then went to a Bretton restaurant with Eutychus, Mrs Euty (sorry have forgotten her ship name ) and Ricardus.
Later on it turned in to the first (?) shipmeet in a mosque when Ricardus, Apothecary and I ended up in the Paris Central Mosque tea rooms!
I don't think any photos were taken though [Hot and Hormonal] .

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the first Chicago meet was in Summer 2004 at the House of Blues. Well, it was my first meet anyways.
In attendance were: Mr. Sponge, Mamacita, Alan Cresswell, ebeth, mr. e, welsh dragon, troy and ??
After the house of Blues gospel brunch, most of the gang went on the architectural boat cruise.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ebeth:
I think the first Chicago meet was in Summer 2004 at the House of Blues. Well, it was my first meet anyways.
In attendance were: Mr. Sponge, Mamacita, Alan Cresswell, ebeth, mr. e, welsh dragon, troy and ??
After the house of Blues gospel brunch, most of the gang went on the architectural boat cruise.

I don't recall anyone else. Some photos for the meet are included in this lot, though all after the brunch so doesn't include you. And, the labels say "MrJuice" as that was Spongies name at the time.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is what I posted on page one:
We had a Chicago Meet the same summer as the Colorado Meet where AlanCresswell met Flausa. Was that 2003? AlanC and Welsh Dragon were traveling to the Colorado meet and arranged stopovers in Chicago. MrSponge2U and Troy both drove up for that -- about 300 and 350 miles respectively. IIRC sabine was going to join us but had a last-minute change in plans.

I knew I was forgetting someone -- sorry ebeth! Now I remember! I can't remember what order we did things in, but there was the Chicago River cruise and the Sunday Gospel Brunch at House of Blues. We made ebeth (and mr ebeth too?) go up on the stage to sing along with the birthday and anniversary people, and as I recall, you were none too happy about that. [Razz] AlanC's pictures confirm that it was 2003. Time flies (and I develop short- and medium-term memory loss).

(forgetting how to spell too)

[ 16. March 2008, 22:33: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, you make me go onstage, declare my undying love, etc. and you forget that? [Ultra confused] [Eek!]

It was quite an introduction to the ship. Not sure anyone else has had such an initiation. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the first Southwest Florida (mini)meet was May of 2002 with zandolit, Daughter-Unit and me(oh-and two Padawans). Zandolit was very brave meeting with four Jedi. We were all decked out in our "good" Sunday-go-to-meeting robes.

Thanksgiving week of 2006, we had a most marvelous meet with Flausa, Alan Cresswell, Wee Wan, Motherboard, JB, MaryFL, Saint Sebastian, Daughter-Unit and me. (Did I miss anyone?) I think that was our first regular meet. There have been several mini meets since that first one! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wairua:
There was a Wellington meet in 2003 - it will test my memory to work out what month it was but it would have been before the end of July.

Wasn't that just before you left for the UK, Wairua? You, me, Calypso, McChicken, and at least one other person, but my mind has gone horribly blank.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I met Arabella in Wellington before the larger group met up. We had a meal in a place that had been a funeral directors, but I can't remember the name.

Strawberry Fare. You and I have had meetings that I've never quite regarded as shipmeets - do friendmeets count?

I remember meeting Zappa, McChicken and Jemimah very well - that was in Strawberry Fare too! Dessert always seems to appeal.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ebeth:
Ok, you make me go onstage, declare my undying love, etc. and you forget that? [Ultra confused] [Eek!]

It was quite an introduction to the ship. Not sure anyone else has had such an initiation. [Roll Eyes]

It was pretty pushy of me, I admit. I tend to forget that not everyone is the hammy, attention slut that I am. The brunch was good, though! I'll never forget being in the Cajun-style buffet line and Welsh Dragon saying, "You'll have to translate the food for me."

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first (and only that I know of) shipmeet in St. Louis, MO was in 2003 (April I believe) at the Blueberry Hill pub. Those present were, as I recall, Maleveque (visiting from out of town), Heathen Mama, Rossweisse, The Charientist (I think I'm spelling that right), and yours truly.

[ 17. March 2008, 03:59: Message edited by: MrSponge2U ]

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
I can't remember what order we did things in, but there was the Chicago River cruise and the Sunday Gospel Brunch at House of Blues.

We started at church (a Presbyterian church downtown somewhere, sorry I can't remember which, though I think it was numerical, "Fourth" or something). Welsh Dragon and I were collected at the airport and driven down there, getting in a little bit late so didn't meet up with you until afterwards. Then we went to Brunch, meeting up with ebeth & mr e outside. The we had the river cruise (without mr & ebeth).

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for collective memory pooling here...

And Mamacita, if I can be 'Media Tart' surely you can be 'Attention Slut'? [Biased]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by auntie doris:
There's been a St Albans meet?

There was, but it was before you registered... Genie was also there (and Schroedinger's kittens).
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The first Scotmeet was in Glasgow, I can even remember organising it, in a pub somewhere just south of George Square, but I can't remember the exact date (a bit after that, probably something like Sept 2000). AotN was there, and I think scz too. I know there'd been an earlier attempt to sort out a meet with someone called Anne who was in Dumfries at the time, but that didn't happen.

By virtue of never clearing out my works email, I can confirm that the first planned Scotmeet was for Glasgow on April 1st 2000 (a good date, and 'frin had planned to be in town) ... but as we progressed with trying to organise it people dropped out until it was only going to be me and Anne, who decided in the end that it was too much effort to come up from Dumfries without others being there.

In September 2000 Dana toured the UK. She visited Fudge in Aberdeen, then came down to Glasgow on the 28th where we had a bite to eat and a drive around (and visited a castle).

I haven't found details of the first meet with more than two people, which probably means I had more regular net access from home by then and it's on old emails there (which having gone through a few computers at home are probably lost). It might have even been late enough for it to be organised via PM on the new UBB boards. Though, for some reason I suspect it was a 'Christmas' meet, probably in January 2001. We had the first Edinburgh meet in Oct 2001, I have one email here to someone who'd been at the earlier Glasgow meet but hadn't read a PM about the E'burgh meet.

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DC and Baltimore tend to blur into each other; however we did have a meet in Baltimore proper (well, Catonsville) in Sept., 2007. Were there any other meets in Baltimore before?
At that meet were Maleveque and family, the ebeths, muchafraid and Prof Kirke, Pearls Before Swine, jlg, and me. I even have a couple of pics on my cell phone which I never figured out how to upload. [Frown]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a meet in Charlottesville, VA in June, 1907, the Virginia 400 meet.

Those present were Campbellite, McGuyver's Apprentice (I'm pretty sure that's spelled wrong), DaisyM, and me.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A great shipmeet, and my very first!

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
There was also the Girly Meet in Swansea, arranged by Chalky.

Motherboard, Gill H, Carys and Anna the Purple Fishwoman were there among others and we saw St David's Cathedral and Pembroke Castle, but I can't remember when it was. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'd mentioned that in passing. It was after the second Swansea meeet in July 2000. Given than Dana was there it was probably the following autumn as Alan has already said:

quote:
In September 2000 Dana toured the UK. She visited Fudge in Aberdeen, then came down to Glasgow on the 28th where we had a bite to eat and a drive around (and visited a castle).

I've a feeling the girly meet was in October but I wouldn't swear to that. I remember twisting my ankle coming down a spiral staircase in Pembroke castle.

Angelfish/Angel of the North was there too as was Tracy and for some of the time Wood -- who isn't a girl but some of us were staying in his house so he was allowed to participate in some activities.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Moo:

Those present were Campbellite, McGuyver's Apprentice (I'm pretty sure that's spelled wrong), DaisyM, and me.

Are you sure about that date? [Eek!]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:

I've a feeling the girly meet was in October but I wouldn't swear to that. I remember twisting my ankle coming down a spiral staircase in Pembroke castle.
I'm pretty sure that was after she was up here. So, early Oct would be right.

--------------------

Wairua

Shipmate
# 3912

- Posted      Profile for Wairua   Email Wairua   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
quote:
Originally posted by Wairua:
There was a Wellington meet in 2003 - it will test my memory to work out what month it was but it would have been before the end of July.

Wasn't that just before you left for the UK, Wairua? You, me, Calypso, McChicken, and at least one other person, but my mind has gone horribly blank.
The other person was Alliebellie.
I left for the UK late July, we may have met earlier in July as, as you say, it wasn't long before I was due to go.

Posts: 709 | From: aotearoa | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
posted by Moo:

Are you sure about that date? [Eek!]
Why, sir, we all rode our horses to the meet, not trusting those newfangled automobiles! Nice of you to catch that--2007.

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
The first Berkshire meet - that I know of - was held in Hampshire,

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
It's perfectly logical. I organised the meet. I live in Berkshire. We decided to meet over the border in Hants. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Campbellite and I met in Roanoke, I believe it was in the summer of '05.

This meet included all shipmates living within a radius of fifty miles. [Big Grin]

Moo

Well see, that reminds me...Motherboard, JB and I met at a Cracker Barrell at Raleigh-Durham Airport I think in early 2003. Do either of you remember if that was the correct year? It was before Easter, because I bought a tiny white bunny that I still have.

I was the entire central North Carolina membership, since my daughter was too shy to come. [Smile]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello.

The first time I met other shipmates was, I think, on the 18th of March 1999 in a pub in Horsham. Lev was the organiser. According to the report Susanna 'was the first person to suggest the whole idea of Crew Meets in the first place'.

One meet that I don't think is mentioned in those early manuscripts that Simon linked to the Ship of Fools / Premier radio (?) Tony Campolo lecture on the 29th April 1999. I found a mention on Anglicans Online:

quote:
'In God We Trust: Religion and Politics in the USA', a lecture in London by Dr Tony Campolo, Professor of Sociology at Eastern College, Pennsylvania, USA, comes at the invitation of our friends at Ship of Fools. The lecture will analyse current trends in religious and political movements in America. The lecture will take place on 29th April at 6.00pm at Westminster Central Hall, Storey's Gate, London SW1. A live webcast of the lecture is also planned. -- ship-of-fools.com/CampoloLecture.html
I remember Lev being there, also Anna and I think Dave Perry. Simon and Steve must have been there of course. It was full of very earnest Premier radio-types. I had to leave fairly soon afterwards to drive to Wales so I didn't join on with any drinking etc.

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was also at the girly meet in Swansea.
I also remember that we organised an alt worship conference through the now defunct Small Fire board. I can't remember when it was - quite a few years ago.
rosemary

--------------------
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Confucius

Posts: 743 | From: cardiff | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first NoCal meet that I'm aware of was in the spring of 2003. I'd been lurking and the announcement of a meet in San Francisco prompted me to register and say I'd like to come.

Kelly Alves was organizing, and Ian Climacus was coming to town from Oz. I think duchess was there too -- but I wasn't, because I realized belatedly that the nonliturgical types who scheduled the meet ( [Razz] ) had selected Palm Sunday, and I couldn't get away from the choir that day. The first shipmeet that I attended was the first NoCal pizza meet, in San Mateo.

Kelly, do you know of an earlier one around here?

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Some of us are old enough to remember back that far? [Paranoid]

[ETA: Do we win a prize for being the earliest?]

[ 18. March 2008, 15:55: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first NYC meet was a small lunchtime gathering between me, Ultraspike and Belisarius. It was shortly after 9/11, in Grand Central Station.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at the Warrington one in May 1999

In those days the message board updated overnight!

My one regret is having never met Simon despite much correspondence

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First Canberra meet was in June 2003. Participants included myself, Sean, Bronwyn, Shrinking Violet, Magnum Mysterium, Christine (as she then was), The Mid, jugular, ecumaniac, Slartibartfast, Nunc and Duo Seraphim. The next meet here was a couple of months later when AdamPater flew over from Perth on business and met myself, jugular, The Mid and Magnum Mysterium for dinner.
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First Houston meet. I think it was the summer of 2005. Pata and I met up with CPQ and Emma in a restaurant in Montrose. I am sure CPQ will know for sure.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
We set up the first Paris shipmeet in March 2007 - can't actually remember the exact date. [...]I don't think any photos were taken though [Hot and Hormonal] .

I seem to remember Apothecary taking some!

Apparently it is now obligatory to hold a Paris meet every March.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When was the first California Meet? Could it have been in Ontario in 2003 or 2004?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa said:
quote:
I think I can safely say Moree, NSW, December 2006!
Jugular was closer to the mark:

The first Australian meet consisted of myself and marama and her husband in Sydney in November 2001. I remember it vividly, because it was just before the Cathedral Choir was going to perform a setting of the Evening Canticles I had written for them, and marama and husband couldn't stay.

The second Australian meet was in the first half of 2002 - not sure whether it was as late as May, I thought it was earlier than that. Jugular was not yet a shipmate, but he came along with The Mid. There were about 10 of us, and we went to Mama's Kitchen and ate Italian food. I seem to recall there were two UK visitors who were shipmates. Apart from that I can't remember who else was present.

I joined the Ship in July 2001, just before St Mary Magdalene's Day. When I joined, I think there were only a couple of other Australians on board, one of whom was The Coot (now Jimmie).

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brisbane, Oz... Nunc and Rowen...(Nunc was visiting from Sydney)... 2002 8th July...

First Brisbane Meet.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
Zappa said:
quote:
I think I can safely say Moree, NSW, December 2006!
Jugular was closer to the mark:

Sorry - what I was saying there was that Moree 2006 was the first Moree(ish) shipmeet!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc,

I'm sure you're right about the date. Was that meet in Victoria Arcade actually the first in Aus? How about that! Actually Tukai and I did get to stay for your Evensong - and very impressive it was too.

I remember another Sydney meet not that long afterwards - we went to Christ Church St Lawrence and then somewhere in Chinatown and IIRC there were present Nunc, Cusanus, Multipara and myself and others I can't remember - possibly Jugular. Certainly Nunc wore her cape.

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jimmy B and I believe the first meet in Perth, Western Australia was when he and I met for dim sum/yum cha lunch in August, 2003. We were the only two active in Perth at the time, and had met twice before (including at my confirmation in July 2003), but August was the first one focussed on being Shippy.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
And Mamacita, if I can be 'Media Tart' surely you can be 'Attention Slut'? [Biased]

great minds think alike. I was thinking, Hammy: Attention Slut

[Big Grin]
(because we love you, of course, mama!)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to everyone who has a better memory that I do. I was reliving all the meets I've gone to.....
I can't believe how many I've been to! [Eek!] Like Alan, Welsh Dragon, McGyver, and Arietty, I've been to meets on both sides of the pond.

I think that Alan and Flausa win the prize for "Best surprise from a ship meet". (but I got my best prize in JB.) [Snigger] [Big Grin]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Motherboard might win the title for 'best surprise at a Shipmeet though. She came to the Scarborough weekend, but it was kept under wraps until Alan went to fetch the mysterious 'Angelfish's friend Diana' from the station!

I'm also remembering a Newport mini-meet in Pizza Hut consisting of me, Hugal, Rosemary and, er, some chap whose name I've forgotten. I think that was the first Newport meet.

Remembering the girly weekend - that was when I accidentally baptised Sven the Moose in a cup of tea. I have not laughed so much as I did that weekend, before or since. So much fun!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
When was the first California Meet? Could it have been in Ontario in 2003 or 2004?

The first SoCal meet was in Glendale a year or two earlier. In attendance were Kenwritez, Scot and his wife Thumbprint, a guy whose screenname I can't remember who doesn't post anymore (from Oregon, down in SoCal going to pro golf school), and me.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I was thinking, Hammy: Attention Slut

<marks card>

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
that was when I accidentally baptised Sven the Moose in a cup of tea

I'd forgotten that!

[Killing me]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016