homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Is "climate change" being used to bring in a global Govenment? (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  22  23  24 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Is "climate change" being used to bring in a global Govenment?
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alwyn:
As an alternative to entrenched positions and culture war, could there be a room for a 'meeting of moderate minds'? Here's a first draft of what this might look like...[snip]

Alwyn, what a great idea. There's a lot of room for honest disagreement without setting sail on HMS Tinfoil Hat, and I'd love to see more people moving beyond the entrenched positions and examining possible solutions. I love the approach of people like David MacKay FRS, who says things like "I'm not pro- nuclear, just pro- arithmetic." Acknowledging that you can want to move away from burning hydrocarbons for electricity doesn't automatically make you a wind-turbine hugging, capitalism-hating leftie, and similarly being uneasy about statements like "the science is in" doesn't make you a nutter.

In this spirit, can I share an very reasonable and non-partisan article on the contrarian Dr Richard Lindzen? I don't agree with everything that he says, but it's interesting that even people on the opposite side of the debate don't regard him as a crank - he even contributed to IPCC 1996.
quote:
"I’ve been working on the scientific questions of climate for a long time, and I’m seeing them trivialized and ‘stupidified,’ and I’m upset by that."
Cheers,

- Chris.

PS: an apology also, if one is needed, for sucking Alan back into a debate he was trying to extricate himself from [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The real cynic in me inclines to the view that since global political processes seem quite unable to face up in any "make a real difference" way to the arguments favouring "man-made" bad effects on the climate, the sceptical views which exist within the scientific community have a great future to look forward to.

"We can't get our act together" simply gets replaced by "we've no need to get our act together". Given the current and prospective political need, there's got to be money in that!

But of course that is a quite unworthy conspiracy theory to advance. That some scientists may be playing the sceptical card, playing for the grants which may become available to sceptics. Perish the thought!

My serious point is that we can always erect plausible conspiracy theories to support our opinions. But they don't actually prove anything. If indeed some scientists have been conspiring to "improve the evidence" and the evidence of their conspiracy is in the open, they have shot themselves in the foot so far as the value of any future research publications are concerned. Trust once lost is hard to recover. So are reputations and research grants. In the long term, any bad science coming out of any "jumping on bandwagons" will be repudiated. Pomo insights are correct in pointing to the human elements and powerplay behaviour to be found in scientific research, but miss the point that such distortions never last. The process is in the long run self-cleansing. Essentially, they are ad hominem arguments, and such arguments are always self-defeating and sterile.

What this argument needs here and elsewhere is a greater concentration on the science, less conspiracy theorising, and less rubbishing of disagreeable sources. Forget "cry wolf", the real question is "is there really a wolf?". I'm of the view that there is. It wouldn't be the end of my world if that view was shown to be mistaken.

[ 27. November 2009, 11:32: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As an alternative to entrenched positions and culture war, could there be a room for a 'meeting of moderate minds'? Here's a first draft of what this might look like...

Suppose believers in (human-caused) climate change accepted that:-
- There have been panics that were unfounded, like the 'millenium bug'
- Some of the climate science will probably turn out to be wrong; scientific knowledge moves on and sometimes there are surprises
- As human beings, scientists are vulnerable to 'following the herd' like anyone else
- We aren't 'certain' of any particular scenario; we don't have categorical evidence; not all scientists agree; everyone (scientists or not) have a right to question the validity of climate science; if we are to make sacrifices, we'll need strong evidence to justify them
- Following the recent 'email hacking' incident, probably some scientists have worked together to oppose climate sceptics (whether or not their conduct was understandable or justifiable)

Suppose believers in climate scepticism accepted that:-
- Some warnings by scientists in the past have turned out to be right; for example, smoking is addictive even though some tobacco executives reportedly denied this
- Some of the climate science will probably turn out to be right (whether or not the consequences will be as serious as environmentalists claim)
- Even though they are flawed human beings, scientists have investigated this issue using scientific techniques that deserve some credibility
- We don't necessarily wait for categorical proof before responding to potential threats; for example, we don't wait until an invasion of our countries is in progress before building warships and warplanes
- If climate science is wrong, it could be wrong in either direction (over-estimating or under-estimating); even if it is wrong, moving to a more sustainable economy and energy supply is desirable because the Earth's total resources are limited.

Any takers - or modifications?

I, for one don't have any difficulty with any of the above.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in answering the folowing questions arising from Professor Lindzen's article above:-

He claims that the warming observed to date could quite easily be caused by El Nino events, volcanic eruptions or changes in solar radiation. Is this correct?

He says that Europe was warmer in the Middle Ages than it is today. Is that correct?

He says that the Greenland Icesheet is actually expanding and that the Greenland temperature is now lower than it was in 1940 and is little changed since records were first taken in 1780. True?

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
I wonder if anyone would be interested in answering the folowing questions arising from Professor Lindzen's article above:-

He claims that the warming observed to date could quite easily be caused by El Nino events, volcanic eruptions or changes in solar radiation. Is this correct?

He says that Europe was warmer in the Middle Ages than it is today. Is that correct?

He says that the Greenland Icesheet is actually expanding and that the Greenland temperature is now lower than it was in 1940 and is little changed since records were first taken in 1780. True?

(I know I promised Barnabus I'd stay out of this, but I am mortal, and weak...)

1. Not easily, especially since atmospheric sulphur (from volcanoes) has a cooling effect, and that's gone down.

2. That's debatable, too. The latest results suggest that we're warmer now than the Middle Ages.

3. Yes. That's exactly what the data says. Also, the Greenland ice sheet is getting thicker in the middle. It isn't expanding though - the loss of ice around the edges is greater than the gain in the centre.

All of this from the published record. No one seems to be hiding the data.

I'd also like to note that China - who, let's face it, tends to plough its own furrow on most matters - is setting carbon limits.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
You claim to have looked objectively at both sides of the argument. You've repeatedly trotted out the 800year lag inthe Vostok core as though this somehow destroys the theory that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and artificially increasing the concentration of CO2 is driving the current climate change. I've repeatedly explained that scientists a) acknowledge the time lag in the ice core records, b) understand where the lag comes from using their climate theory (ie it's not anomalous data that invalidates the theory, but is something the theory predicts and so supports the theory) and c) that the current scenario is different and so the same lag isn't to be expected.

The theory doesn't predict any such thing...

That there is a time lag is objective from all kinds of research, whether your models include it or not is subjective.

You keep saying the current scenario is different, but you offer no proof of it being so.

Why is it different? Why should CO2 suddenly behave out of character?

You really have to do better than simply say it does.

quote:
Of course, you may not be convinced by the arguments I've presented. But, if you've failed to understand them (and, I've tried hard to make it fairly clear), especially if you've failed to ask questions about the bits you don't understand to help you understand, then you can't claim to have looked objectively at the argument.
Your arguments are like the above, you make a statement contrary to observable fact and then refuse to follow through with any explanation backed by scientific method and logic.

Why don't you understand that my refusal to accept people playing with models which continually fail to include observable fact are not scientific?

You can be impressed as you like that different scenarios are created at whim, but doubling CO2 does not double warming, for example, neither does ignoring water vapour except as some, by now mythical in its worst sense of fictional, idea that its only importance is in feedback as a multiplier of CO2 'blanket' reflecting heat back down to earth!

Take one bathroom and run a bath of cold water, put into bathroom small background heat source, open a window, close the door and pump in CO2 through the keyhole. How long do you think it will take to a) warm the bathroom b) warm the water, at 400 ppm relative to the amount of heat and conditions in said bathroom?

Bear in mind that closed greenhouse conditions such as widely used in growing food, CO2 is food for plants, we are carbon life forms, show no runnaway temperature rises at 1000 ppm.

quote:
I don't know what you mean by a lag of several centuries, Vostok is fairly standard results for our own conditions and that's c800 years.
quote:
Other ice records vary a bit on the length of the lag, and it changes a bit for each glacial/interglacial interface. 800 years is several centuries, so is 500 years or 1000.
Uggh, tiredness tells.

"Now, what's the issue with the scientific description of why there's a lag of several centuries between the start of warming and the rise in CO2 concentrations? Or, why scientists don't consider the current situation to be the same?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about. Please be more specific. I don't know what you mean by a lag of several centuries being an issue, Vostok is fairly standard results for our own conditions and that's c800 years and there's nothing to show this is going to be any different in the future in our conditions.

We're still back to your "and why scientists don't consider the current situation to be the same".

Extrapolate, show me how they've come to whatever conclusions you're promoting here, prove that CO2 is acting out of character of well known pattern. In other words, tell me exactly what the claim is and show me exactly the research that has been done to verify such a claim.

Myrrh

quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
Myrrh, I'm at a bit of a loss over how to continue this debate constructively. I know that the subject can easily inflame tempers, which is why I normally stay away from it - I don't trust myself not to lose my temper and start arguing emotionally. In my experience, when this happens any opportunity for communication or mutual understanding is lost. If I have come over as personally insulting or testy, I apologise. From the tone of your last post, it certainly seems like something has made you angry.

Chris, no, not angry, a bit abrupt perhaps 'cause tired. Sorry it came across like that.

quote:
However, it's not anger that bothers me, so much as statements like:
quote:
They [hockey sticks] were created to destroy our real climate history.
quote:
put back the MWP obliterated by these scientific frauds
quote:
I do not accept the deliberate frauds and cover up by more dishonest tweaking of Mann et al and the IPCC
quote:
Sigh, NOAA is corrupt. If you had even the slightest idea of how they screw temperature you'd not give them the time of day
quote:
They're foremost charlatans. They've been shown to be this from the beginning of the IPCC certainly, the only question is, who is pulling their strings?
quote:
That there have been countless coverups and mad attacks against anyone contradicting the claims
I'm sorry, Myrrh, you sound exactly like like a conspiracy theorist.

I do wish people would stop and think before they use the attack 'conspiracy theorists' as a defence..

The very sad fact of the matter here is that these people have shown themselves time and again to have manipulated data. I have spent considerable time looking at this. The current emails confirm 'out of their own mouths' what has been noted for years and years and blanked out by those arguing for AGW. That they have withheld data, that they suggest destroying data so their malpractice is hidden. How is this not a conspiracy?

Yes, if cover up of bad scientific practice makes those like me think there is a conspiracy to con us then we're conspiracy theorists and proud of it! The emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

quote:
If you systematically discount anyone who disagrees with you - especially professional researchers in the field, who produced the very data that the "junk science" sites you favour twist into their own alternative theories - then you are in a place where you cannot and will not listen to anyone who knows the science better than you and might be in a position to change your mind.
Well, you see, I have no reason from the research I've done to consider these professional researchers.. I see them for what they are, con men, because they are conning us with created scenarios bearing no relation to observable fact or scientific method. I'm not going to go a fetch all the examples again, the emails if looked at objectively show this scientific method for what it is.

How can anyone possibly look at the deconstruction of the Hockey Sticks, Mann and Briffa, and not see they have cherry picked data and created an analysis engine to produce hockey sticks? Why anyone with any love at all for science, and I'm one of these, would take them seriously as scientists having known how they've manipulated data is quite beyond my ken. That anyone in any scientific field himself wouldn't be immediately appalled by these machinations rather than find excuses for them is even more puzzling. This is worse than Piltdown man, this is scientists world wide deliberately colluding with the fraud, the majority by intimidation I'll give, but still.

quote:
The dwarves are for the dwarves, to take a quote out of context.

Given that you don't trust the CRU, NOAA, NASA or Mann and anyone he's ever published with, are there any sources of actual scientific information that you regard as valid? If the answer is "none," then it's pointless me trying to engage with you further, as we have no common ground in sources of information that we both agree are valid.

Give me actual research which proves this scenario. All I'm getting is what I get from Alan, 'it exists but I'm not giving you any details of how it exists'. Give me scientific backing, especially from these I don't trust, that CO2 has changed its character and is now driving global warming. (Yes, I got the term wrong, it's logarithmic. Thank you Latchkey Kid)

quote:
The trouble - from my POV - is that that list of things distrusted seems to include 1st year degree textbooks in your case, and crank websites in mine.
Well, since CO2 has never been shown to have any driving capability on global climate nor that it becomes 'a blanket' reflecting heat back down to earth nor that its effects double as its amount doubles, you must be using different first year text books.

quote:
Have you actually read the debunking? Tell me what you think when you've read it.
quote:
I read the paper which was written and thought it raised some valid points, although it did come over as having an agenda. Looking at the background of the authors (one of whom was an economist, not a scientist) didn't give me a great deal of confidence. I then read the follow up paper that I quoted, which took their criticisms into account, allowed for them, and then showed that the conclusions were unchanged. I also found a lot of similar studies done subsequently that also found similar conclusions.

Just because someone has "debunked" a paper doesn't mean they have the last word. What they did was publish a paper that disagreed with the research, which in the normal process of scientific to-and-fro (which can get pretty personal and heated even in less controversial areas btw, scientists being human) was subsequently shown not to invalidate the original paper. Subsequent work showed that the conclusions of the original were valid. Why should I pay any more attention to your "debunking?" It's old hat.

That these were used to present a picture of our climate history at complete variance with well known and continually confirmed by more research understanding that our climate has not been level hockey stick handle until some blip caused it to shoot up uncharacteristically, I have to wonder how they came to the conclusion it has.

What I've found is a whole industry creating illusory backing for it and intimidating those calling for it to be exposed as such.

It's interesting, for me at least, that it took an economist to spot what system Mann used to create his hockey stick, because he was used to seeing in his own field how data can be manipulated to create this illusion, and I came to spot it by using skills in my own erstwhile field, the knowledge of how it's possible to lie with statistics in marketing and advertising, in presentation. 9 out of 10 cats prefer to the more involved fiddling around.

Here's an example I what I can see easily, though I was a bit rusty to begin with:

quote:
In his book An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore ignores this time lag in order to create a false image of a frightening rise in temperature caused by CO2 emissions today. He graphs CO2 and temperatures as rising and falling in parallel, thus depicting the “repeating correlation” that Patterson questioned: the two lines move in tandem, and the spike in CO2 to over 350ppm today runs ominously off the graph. This is visually powerful—but is it accurate?
Gore’s graph distorts the issue in two ways. First, it does not accommodate the earlier CO2 levels of up to 5000ppm, or 16 times those of today. The graph I presented in this article, Figure 1 above, has a higher vertical CO2 axis, and depicts today’s CO2 variations in accurate proportion to earlier changes: as tiny waves at the bottom right-hand side of the graph. Gore also omits values on the temperature axis, an egregious omission that makes it impossible to quantify the scale of temperature variations. Second, Gore conflates correlation with causation. His parallel CO2 and temperature lines obscure the fact that large temperature rises preceded small CO2 rises by 500 to 1500 years. Perhaps it is inconvenient for Gore to accept that the huge 22°F temperature changes in the Vostok ice core samples cannot be explained by the tiny—100ppm—changes in CO2 that followed those temperature changes. Readers may properly conclude that Gore’s CO2 / temperature graph is a distortion of the historical record designed to elicit an emotional response for a political purpose. (Taken from the John David Lewis link I posted above)

I've lost count of the number of such manipulations I've seen in my research into this subject. It takes careful reading to spot these, and I gave up checking finally because I found these methods to be a recurring pattern in all such presentations, from NOAA and IPCC to sensationalist reporters picking up on a good story. This method hides the lack of actual scientific discipline.

Hence my standard question - prove that CO2 drives global warming. Still no answer. Care to have a go..?

quote:
The thing is, if none of the sources I depend on as reliable (the peer-reviewed scientific literature, what I know of my degree subject, articles by people who have academic posts at respectable universities who are studying the field in question) are the same are the ones you rely upon (make your own list here) then we're never going to agree. I only note in passing that if you think all of academia is so corrupt, who do you think wrote the textbooks you used at school? Looks like all your education was worthless too. Good think we have the internet...

- Chris.

Well again, what's peer reviewed? When that same coterie peer review each other's work and do their utmost to block any dissent?

quote:
. In a minority report issued December 20, 2007, members of the U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee reported that “Over 400 prominent scientists from more than two dozen countries recently voiced significant objections to major aspects of the so-called "consensus" on man-made global warming.”

Many of these scientists were expert reviewers for the UN IPCC—an Intergovernmental and not an Interscientific panel—which ignored their comments and critiques when they disagreed with the IPCC’s political mission.

The scientists include IPCC 2007 expert reviewer Madhav Khandekar, a Canadian PhD meteorologist with over 45 years experience in climatology, meteorology and oceanography. He wrote: “To my dismay, IPCC authors ignored all my comments and suggestions for major changes in the FOD (First Order Draft) and sent me the SOD (Second Order Draft) with essentially the same text as the FOD. None of the authors of the chapter bothered to directly communicate with me (or with other expert reviewers with whom I communicate on a regular basis) on many issues that were raised in my review. This is not an acceptable scientific review process.”

Again from the John David Lewis link.

Which is actually a very good summary of how the AGW continually violates first year textbook anything..

Again an example I gave in the other doggy thread, what do you make of the American Meteorological Association giving its top prize to AGW's while in its teaching syllabus on its website debunking anthropogenic global warming?

The only conclusion I can reach, which has reason on its side, because there are and have been too many examples of the treatment Khandekar received and this coupled with the proven junk science of the hockey stick type promoted above dissenting expert voices, is that we are being manipulated. And those at the top of organisations are complicit in the manipulation regardless of dissenting voices of their own professional members.

And science, and therefore all of us, is the loser.

quote:
Vincent Gray of New Zealand, an expert reviewer on drafts of the IPCC reports going back to 1990, and author of The Greenhouse Delusion: A Critique of “Climate Change,” wrote for the Senate committee: “The [IPCC] ‘Summary for Policymakers' might get a few readers, but the main purpose of the report is to provide a spurious scientific backup for the absurd claims of the worldwide environmentalist lobby that it has been established scientifically that increases in carbon dioxide are harmful to the climate. It just does not matter that this ain't so.”
Why should I believe your sources and not the likes of these?

Myrrh

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I thought this article written 2 years ago says it all:-

Article

How could they allow a rabid AGW denier like that to teach at a place like MIT?! He's thicker than the Greenland ice sheet! (Oh wait...scratch that...poor comparison)

Obviously, he should be sacked, and all his professional credentials revoked. If I see him, I may just punch him right in the face!

Professor of meteorology....my arse.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myrrh:

quote:
Myrrh, you sound exactly like like a conspiracy theorist.

I do wish people would stop and think before they use the attack 'conspiracy theorists' as a defence..

I've lost count of the number of such manipulations I've seen in my research into this subject. It takes careful reading to spot these, and I gave up checking finally because I found these methods to be a recurring pattern in all such presentations, from NOAA and IPCC to sensationalist reporters picking up on a good story. This method hides the lack of actual scientific discipline.

The only conclusion I can reach, which has reason on its side .... is that we are being manipulated.

Myrrh

Myrrh, you sound exactly like a conspiracy theorist. In your own words, above.

"The only conclusion"?

Of course that is not the only conclusion which can be drawn, which has reason on its side, from the evidence in the public domain. You ruin any case you may have by such obvious over-statements. It may indeed be the only conclusion you can draw. But unfortunately, that says more about you than the evidence you have considered.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Few scientists in the field currently seem to believe this is true. These events neatly explain warming up to about 1980-ish, but the general opinion is that they're inadequate to explain the last few decades.

As far as I know, nobody (including the sceptics) has managed to produce a robust climate model that explains current warming without incorporating CO2. Lindzen's position is primarily "We don't know enough to say what's going on", but he doesn't go into details of an alternative.
quote:
Some people say European temperatures now are a bit higher than the middle ages, some say a bit lower. There's not a huge amount in it, especially considering the uncertainties involved. There's reason to believe the original 'hockey stick' underestimated this variation. There's more controversy about whether the Medieval Warm Period was global or just a regional fluctuation though.

Also, it's widely agreed - including by Lindzen - that the oceans have absorbed much of the current warming, meaning we'll probably see about +0.5C over the next 30 years even if all human emissions stopped right now. As I understand it, this is analogous to the way the sea is warmer at the end of the summer than the start - its thermal mass creates a lag.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dumpling Jeff
Shipmate
# 12766

- Posted      Profile for Dumpling Jeff   Email Dumpling Jeff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clint wrote,
quote:
Rather more heat will not be a good thing overall but some people still claim that it'll be lovely, having more CO2 and higher temperatures, either because they either know nothing about it or because someone is paying them to say so.
Or they own a lot of land in Siberia. Global warming would be bad for some and good for others. People like Rush Limbaugh and the entire population of Bangladesh will lose their homes, but huge areas in Central Asia, Canada, and the U.S. will become more habitable.

Somehow I'm not shocked that it was Russian hackers that broke the email scandal.

Alwyn, pointing out that were in this together and should work together to solve potential problems is so twentieth century. Here in the twenty-first century the world is about media drama and conflict. But I'm an old fashioned guy, so I'll sign up.

I mostly like the treaty provisions. It does seem to include a lot of language that could be used to support a global government framework. Most of this is needed, but some of it makes no sense.

Specifically, why is economic and social development placed as the "first and overriding" priority?

For that matter, what is social development? Does that mean we get to burn down all the fast food restaurants, or is there some objective measure of social development I'm missing?

I find it odd that a treaty on global warming should place it's first priority as doing things that are at best tangentially related to global warming. (One might even argue that economic development is anti-global warming.)

--------------------
"There merely seems to be something rather glib in defending the police without question one moment and calling the Crusades-- or war in general-- bad the next. The second may be an extension of the first." - Alogon

Posts: 2572 | From: Nomad | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:

quote:
Myrrh, you sound exactly like like a conspiracy theorist.

The only conclusion I can reach, which has reason on its side .... is that we are being manipulated.

Myrrh

Myrrh, you sound exactly like a conspiracy theorist. In your own words, above.

"The only conclusion"?

Of course that is not the only conclusion which can be drawn, which has reason on its side, from the evidence in the public domain. You ruin any case you may have by such obvious over-statements. It may indeed be the only conclusion you can draw. But unfortunately, that says more about you than the evidence you have considered.

I have admitted to being a conspiracy theorist!

Which you have edited out of quoting me.

There is a conspiracy to con us by producing an ideology to be believed regardless that its base as 'scientific peer reviewed consensus' is shown at every stage to be manufactured and not science at all..

What other conclusion can I come to?

You might like, as some here do, that I pretend there is still some debate about the reality of AGM, but there isn't.

If you think there is any basis to this claim then have a go at convincing me that CO2 is proved to have changed its chemical properties and historic characterists re climate during thousands and millions of years and has now become a driver of global warming.

Good luck looking for such evidence to back the claim..

Myrrh

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I'm not sure you even see the impact of your own posts, Myrrh. Here is what you said.
quote:
Yes, if cover up of bad scientific practice makes those like me think there is a conspiracy to con us then we're conspiracy theorists and proud of it! The emperor isn't wearing any clothes.
Note the rhetorical "if". As I read your post at this point, you mix assertion with conviction, conclude conspiracy and are proud of it. Classic conspiracy theory behaviour. It's OK for shooting the breeze here, but it doesn't fly in a court of law, or anywhere where rules of evidence are respected, because it amounts to a blanket demeaning of others. So it damages your overall argument.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you think there is any basis to this claim then have a go at convincing me that [...]

I don't think many people believe they can convince you of anything. You don't understand the basics of the carbon cycle, and can't decide if breathing adds CO2 to the atmosphere or not. You invent nonsense like CO2 is "algorithmic" or "The 3rd law: heat cannot be trapped", then have the arrogance to say to Alan:
quote:
You really expect me to take you seriously as a scientist
[...]
You lost all credibility for me
[...]
Those who [don't agree with me about the Hockey Stick] are not scientists, and since they continue to promote a falsified hypothesis are party to the deception, the con.

It's highly entertaining. Please, can you explain again why CO2 saturation is "algorithmic"? I suspect it's a bad word because it almost starts in "Al Gore".
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Classic conspiracy theory behaviour.

Barnabas, Myrrh's hinted that climate scientists deliberately crashed a brand new satellite to hide some data. If that isn't a magnificent conspiracy theory, what is?
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I'm smacking my own hand at this point, Hiro. I didn't want to derail arguments about the science into discussions about conspiracy theory! But I take the satellite point.

I guess I'm frustrated. It's an important topic and there is scope for discussing scepticism about the significance of "man-made" contributions to the ongoing processes of climate change, without recourse to broad-brushing folks who see things differently to ourselves. I just see these things as getting in the way.

--------------------

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spawn you say
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
I have no idea as to what sort of scenario you think we should be responding to.

It's nonsense to say I'm judging science by how alarming it is (if that even makes sense). And it's no good asking me about the future, I don't have a clue, and I seriously don't think anybody has. But we are causing some warming, so there's a productive debate to be had around adaptation and mitigation, on technological solutions as well as cutting-down emissions. But there's absolutely no point in panic and scare-mongering. [/QB]
I have highlighted the relevant parts of you post. Here you seem to be saying that the predictions of the climate modellers (arguably the top scientists in the world in this area) have no more validity than your predictions. I must admit that seems an amazing statement to me. You really think they are all that clueless. So I have written a little explaining my understanding of how climate models interface with weather forecasts to show why I think they may be a little less clueless than you believe. (It is quite long! And I am sure that one or two of the professional scientists here will correct me if I am wildly wrong.)

This is my understanding from a non-expert point of view but thought I would give it a go - the different levels of confidence we can have in short term weather forecasts, long term weather forecasts and climate predictions.

1. Short term weather forecasts
have significantly improved over the past 20 years. – four day weather forecasts are now as accurate as next day weather forecasts used to be. The problem is that the public perception of the accuracy of short term weather forecasts is often inaccurate. Some will notice the one day in ten where the weather forecast is wildly inaccurate or complain that because a cloud burst occurred 5 miles down the road that meant that a forecast of heavy showers was totally wrong.

2. Long term weather forecasts.
These are a lot less accurate and are normally given with a great deal less certainty. When I heard about the ‘barbecue summer’ forecast this summer, the version I heard mentioned the 60% probability. The fact that much of the press left this out is hardly the met offices fault. (I believe the ‘barbecue summer phrase’ was in actual fact the tourist industry’s.)

3. Climate predictions.
Some evidence suggests that these can be a lot more accurate than the long term weather forecasts though obviously not as accurate as short term weather forecasts. There are reasons for this. Some factors make it difficult to predict. One of the main variables in this area appear to be the behaviour of certain phenomena linked with the pacific ocean – primarily El Nino and La Nina. These may not be easy to predict with any accuracy but when they are underway they are observable and measurable.

Whilst variations in yearly temperatures can seem a little all over the place - the ‘trends’ over the past decade are pretty close to what was predicted. When there has been an El Nino the temperatures have been particularly high and when there has been a La Nina then temperatures tend to be below the trend line.

This means that providing the point in the El Nino cycle can be accurately judged, then global temperatures can be predicted very accurately over one to two year periods, this provides a good way of testing the accuracy of the climate models that have been developed. This has been done a number of times most notably by Hansen following the Pintubo eruption when he predicted an increase in northern hemisphere predictions of 0.5 degrees over the following 18 months – a prediction that turned out to be very accurate. Similar studies – three I am aware of – have also shown that in years when the previously mentioned phenomena aren’t affecting the weather in unpredictable ways, the models have proved accurate.

This is also the reason why it is difficult to make highly specific predictions at less predictable / stable points in the cycle. Since 2000 there have been no cases where such specific predictions have turned out to be significantly wide of the mark. This is because you need a phenomenon that has a measurable impact on global temperatures e.g. a large volcanic eruption and the other variables behaving predictably. Obviously a number of the years have not met these criteria and therefore no highly specific prediction was made.

To illustrate why the difference between long term weather forecasts and climate change predictions is so important is that when Hansen made his very accurate predition re the 0.5 degree rise didn’t mean that long term weather forecasts during this time were significantly more accurate. We can have significantly warmer temperatures in the northern hemisphere and yet in Britain the weather can be lousy. The jet stream is incredibly difficult to predict and whilst it may have a profound effect on
British weather it won’t in any significant way affect global temperatures.

Perhaps an analogy is useful here. If I make a crème anglais and pop some cream, milk and sugar in a pan stir a few times then heat I rarely have any idea where exactly the cream will catch on the bottom of the pan first that however I can still predict the likely problem with a high degree of confidence.

I hope that persuades you Spawn that the climate modellers may have more of an idea of future developments in climate than you!

MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

- Posted      Profile for MerlintheMad         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do I find myself as skeptical about this conspiracy of colluding scientists as I am about AGW?...
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chris, you're not responsible for my lack of self restraint. I just can't stop myself correcting obvious mistakes (I don't imagine myself explaining things to Myrrh, but there are more people reading and if what I say helps them understand something better then that's good). Although, I'm trying to avoid repeating the scientific explanations I've given repeatedly and just engage with the issue of whether one can objectively look at both sides of a discussion without attempting to understand one side (as evidenced by repeatedly making assertions that have already been addressed).

quote:
That there is a time lag is objective from all kinds of research, whether your models include it or not is subjective.

Yes, the time lag is an objective observation. The models don't include the time lag, they predict it. It's an intrinsic property of oceanic circulation.

quote:
You keep saying the current scenario is different, but you offer no proof of it being so.

Of course CO2 isn't behaving out of character. I've never said CO2 is behaving any different now than at any other time in history. Tell me where I've even suggested such an absurdity.

What I have said is that the cause of increased CO2 concentrations is different. It's now due to burning fossil fuels, rather than outgasing from oceans bringing CO2 from deep reservoirs.

quote:
"Now, what's the issue with the scientific description of why there's a lag of several centuries between the start of warming and the rise in CO2 concentrations? Or, why scientists don't consider the current situation to be the same?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about. Please be more specific. I don't know what you mean by a lag of several centuries being an issue, Vostok is fairly standard results for our own conditions and that's c800 years and there's nothing to show this is going to be any different in the future in our conditions.

The time lag isn't an issue for me.

The issue I was referencing is the one you clearly have. Namely that I have, repeatedly, given a scientific explanation for why the models predict a time lag. You clearly have an issue with that explanation, as evidenced by your repeated use of the time lag as though it was some sort of invalidation of the science. Yet, I don't have a clue what your issue is because you've never asked any question about the scientific explanation or otherwise indicated what you find unsatisfactory about my description of it.

The same could be said about other aspects of the science. Even when you've raised questions it's been painfully obvious that you're not understanding. And, often it seems you're not even attempting to understand. That's why I've decided not to try and explain science to you, it's just not worth spending the time writing stuff that doesn't even seem to be read beyond the level of seeking something to hang another paranoid diatribe on.

If anyone else wants to try and understand the science better, just ask. I'll do my best to explain it. And, if someone does understand it and still has good reasons to not accept the conclusions I'll be interested to read those and think about them seriously.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shubenacadie
Shipmate
# 5796

- Posted      Profile for Shubenacadie   Email Shubenacadie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a belated response to Luke's post a couple of days ago saying:

quote:
Does anyone really have a complete handle on all the global warming science? I personally haven't gone beyond reading articles in the paper, one book and a few blogs...
I'd suggest that the 'New Scientist' page on the subject might be a useful source for anyone wanting to get to grips with the basics. I'm sure it won't convince the diehard conspiracy theorists, but then probably nothing will.

I found this newspaper article the other week quite interesting; it reports various climate scientists saying that exaggerated claims are a problem, not because there's nothing to worry about, but because there is a real and serious issue that needs dealing with, and over-confident claims are counter-productive.

Given that even some of the less extreme predictions are quite seriously worrying, I'm sure I can't be alone in wishing that the sceptics and deniers were right -- a cartoon I saw a few weeks or months ago made this point quite well* -- but so far the evidence is against them.

*Is there anyone who also remembers it and could provide a link? -- I seem to remember it being on xkcd.com, but I couldn't find it there when I looked.

Posts: 58 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Luke

Soli Deo Gloria
# 306

- Posted      Profile for Luke   Author's homepage   Email Luke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Luke:
... after reading the Climate Caper by Garth Paltridge a climate scientist with the CSIRO ...

I found a thoughtful review by Richard D North who "very much wanted to like The Climate Caper on the grounds that its sceptical case seems pretty reasonable".

The reviewer found that "Dr Paltridge accepts that there will be some warming as a result of human emissions of greenhouse gases. But he thinks the evidence suggests that the effect may not be large or awful. He makes two main suggestions as to why so many scientists are in the alarmed camp. One is that they have succumbed to the herd mentality which large funding and political nudges will produce. The other is that so much of the work depends on climate computer models whose predictions are fallible mostly because they are highly susceptible both to the quality of the data put in and to the tweaking which can and perhaps must be done to make them accord with present reality.

It is easy to imagine these arguments are important, and they are put attractively in this book. But it’s hopeless, really. Some of Dr Paltridge’s case is weak because purely anecdotal: he thinks he has come across closed minds amongst alarmists during personal run-ins with the mainstream. The rest of his case is weak on much more important grounds. Again and again he asserts failings and weaknesses in computer models or the real-world assumptions which form their input, but either can’t or won’t back it up by reference to anyone else’s work."

I don't think North was entirely fair to Paltridge. Paltridge's anecdotal evidence is from his area of expertise showing that "consensus" is possibly the product of group-think, something it seems the leaked emails support. It's also disingenuous of North to claim Paltridge fails to "back it up." The book is meant to be polemical, it's about being skeptical about global warming and asking questions for the man on the street such as myself.

quote:
Luke, thanks for the temperate tone of your response.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your gracious response. It's increasingly become a heated [pardon the pun] debate here in Australia as the government prepares to change our economy leading up the Copenhagen Conference. I want think about the issue sensibly, I'm not dumb but I don't have access to all the relevant information and am still working out who the reliable commentators are and where the reliable sources of information are.

quote:
... I think it's true that contrarian publishers have a hart time getting into print in peer-reviewed journals. There's a number of reasons this could be true:
  • The establishment is defensive, and unwilling to give their political opponents a toehold which they know will be used to beat them with long after other papers come out that modify or explain the controversial paper's conclusions;
  • Their peers (the ones doing the reviewing) genuinely find the science to be lacking, and are doing their job in excluding weak papers;
  • A conspiracy to eliminate papers that aren't written by the Cabal™.
I think the first two are reasonable, and the last isn't. I'm sure the "over unity" (perpetual motion machine scams) brigade have similar complaints about finding it difficult to get published in engineering journals! I do note that scientists like Lindzen can and have been published, despite disagreeing with some of the consensus. It does seem to be a minority view amongst actual climate scientists though, according to a 2007 survey I posted earlier - it's not that they disagree and can't get published.
I know the OP suggests a conspiracy but that'd require too many people being in the know. It's also an interesting question where does crank science end and real science begin. I guess the outer boundaries of cosmology are like that as well. However knowing human nature and the 'herd' mentality and the dangerous mix of politics and science, I'd say that global warming is a more complex and less apocalyptic then we realize.

quote:

To clarify, I didn't say that cap and trade was a solution: I said that it had been put forward as one. I don't really have an opinion on c&t, as I don't know enough about it.

Sorry, the combatants on this thread sometimes blend together. (I think that the C&T seems like a large expensive change for small future gain.)

--------------------
Emily's Voice

Posts: 822 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luke

Soli Deo Gloria
# 306

- Posted      Profile for Luke   Author's homepage   Email Luke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the links Shubenacadie.

--------------------
Emily's Voice

Posts: 822 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
I'm not sure you even see the impact of your own posts, Myrrh. Here is what you said.
quote:
Note the rhetorical "if". As I read your post at this point, you mix assertion with conviction, conclude conspiracy and are proud of it. Classic conspiracy theory behaviour. It's OK for shooting the breeze here, but it doesn't fly in a court of law, or anywhere where rules of evidence are respected, because it amounts to a blanket demeaning of others. So it damages your overall argument.
Not quite following you here, Barnabas. The reply is to being told I sound exactly like a conspiracy theorist, by Chris, who referenced something in particular I said. Since many of posts have shown examples of it, I then replied, etc.

"If" it is "these examples" that get me labelled as a conspiracy theorists, then certainly I am that. Because many of my examples have been to show precisely that there is a conspiracy of cover up. Earlier I even posted a definition of the word:

Conspiracy (COD) Act of conspiring; combination for unlawful purpose, plot;

Since I am posting classic examples of conspiracy cover ups, what's the problem? I'm not denying that I am a conspiracy theorist.

The problem perhaps, is that some here see the term in such a derogatory way that they are trying to avoid using it of me? In which case, thank you, but please don't worry, I'm not offended. It's just irritating because it keeps misreading the point I'm making by discussion about the finger and not what I'm pointing to.

I sometimes ask these things as questions - more in the hope of not eliciting a torrent of abuse in the category 'conspiracy theorist', because that appears to act as a further mental block to rational thinking about this, than in expecting it not be that. But as this discussion has progressed I have become less inclined to bother.

Hiro still hasn't grasped what I've written about the satellite data. I don't expect him to as he has shown remarkable consistency in the past of mis-reading or simply assuming I'm saying something and getting lost in it, and that's become not worth bothering about either.

But for your understanding here, and any others interested, let me just explain that by ranting on about it as me making a conspiracy accusation, he has missed what was actually said in the last we heard from this data source, which as I posted also from its own page, was to be made freely available to all who requested it.

Since water vapour is the bug bear of 'climate modelers', they don't include it in its own right but only as a 'feedback to enhance CO2 effects', which is balderdash, but actually AGM exclude because it is the highest, most dominant, greenhouse gas.

This new figure from the state of art satellite data has thrown a spanner into the works from which there is no sensible way of recovering the momentum of 'CO2 driven global warming'.

In other words, not only were the models junk to start with because they excluded water vapour in its own right as a greenhouse gas, but they have blocked its existence out of their thinking completely. And then their state of the art machinery insists they take notice of it. What are those who are promoting AGM to do?

They manage to avoid all reference to water vapour's exclusion from calculations in their propaganda, but this is "their own data" and should have confirmed their 'assumptions', instead it's destroyed AGW.

So yes, it is a bloody obvious conspiracy to hide the facts, because this state of the art data gatherer which was working so well until it came up with this bomb shell is crashed, we've been told. No more data. Now, I haven't been able to find anything on this on their website, it is however still available as cached pages on an archive machine. So far they haven't blocked it, at least to the day I recovered it. (It's still up).

Some here no doubt will continue to find excuses for this, but I think this calls for a suspension of common sense beyond the rational because these years of promoting AGM have shown us a whole slew of such examples as this tampering of data. The latest emails in the long line of these.

The emperor still isn't wearing any clothes.

quote:
AIRS - the quintessential greenhouse gas sensor of our time

It comes as a surprise to many, but water vapor is the most dominant greenhouse gas in the Earth's atmosphere. It accounts for about 60% of the greenhouse effect of the global atmosphere, far exceeding the total combined effects of increased carbon dioxide, methane, ozone and other greenhouse gases. AIRS advanced technology makes it the most advanced water vapor sensor ever built. Beyond water vapor, AIRS measures all the other primary greenhouse gases including carbon dioxide, the largest source of anthropogenic greenhouse gas, carbon monoxide, methane, and ozone.
What is AIRS

So what we have Barnabas, is not science. As of the end 2008 this data is still not freely available.

Instead we have a new religion, a new belief system where only those agreeing with are given any credibility for rational thought - however irrational the arguments, the promotion, the science. However often this is pointed out.

For every genuine criticism, which in any other scientific field would clearly demolish a theory, we have tweaking and more tweaking and fudging and destruction of data because the continual refusal, unheard of in real scientific work, to show how conclusions were reached have been proved junk science when finally made available.

Why such extreme reactions against those who dissent from this AGW scenario? The Farce of Global Warming

If any scientist here, with hand on heart, can say that the following is perfectly acceptable, then they are in something new created which cannot be called science, because the observable has ceased to be relevant:

quote:
In August 2007, the UK Met Office was finally forced to concede the obvious: global warming has stopped. (LINK) The UK Met Office acknowledged the flat lining of global temperatures, but in an apparent attempt to keep stoking man-made climate alarm, the Met Office is now promoting more unproven dire computer model projections of the future. They now claim climate computer models predict “global warming will begin in earnest in 2009” because greenhouse emissions will then overtake natural climate variability. New Peer-Reviewed Scientific Studies Chill Global Warming Fears
How was your summer?

quote:
In a stunning turn of events data (quietly) released by NASA shows that the 4 warmest years ever recorded occurred in the 1930's, with the warmest year on record being 1934 (not 1998).
Data discovered on NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) website revises recorded temperatures for the United States. It is expected that similar revisions will also be made for global temperature recordings. This information was discovered by Steve McIntyre of Climate Audit on Wednesday (8/8/2007). No NASA press release, no James Hansen (head of GISS) announcement, nothing. Could it be because they don't want anyone to see it? The data is certainly devastating for the Al Gore camp which has based much of their Carbon Credits sales pitch on recent temperatures (e.g. claiming that 1998 was the warmest on record).

Other aspects of the data are just as stunning.

Only 4 of the top 10 warmest years occurred in the past 10 years (1998, 1999, 2006)

Out of the top 10 warmest years half occurred before 1940

The years 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2004 were cooler than the year 1900

1996, just two years before what Al Gore called the hottest year in the history of the planet, was actually cooler than average.

1921 was the third warmest year in recorded history (behind 1934 and 1998). NASA Revises Temperature Data

and this:

quote:
Let’s pause for a second. The IPCC has said that the authors of the scientific papers will have to change their findings if they depart from the summary in order to bring them into line with it. In other words, research which apparently shows that the panic over man-made global warming is exaggerated misleading and wrong is to be altered to support the summary’s view that man-made global warming is even worse than previously thought.

There have been protests. Harvard University physicist Lubos Motl has written:

"These people are openly declaring that they are going to commit scientific misconduct that will be paid for by the United Nations." Why do they have to lie?

Why do they have to lie?

Perhaps because, back to the OP, there really is a conspiracy to keep it going for a completely different agenda?

quote:
Let's start with the infamous 1992 quote of Richard Sandor, Chairman and CEO of the Chicago Climate Exchange, the commercial brainchild of Al Gore's supposedly well intentioned efforts to alert the world to "global warming:"

"Air and water are no longer the free goods that economics once assumed. They must be redefined as property rights so that they can be efficiently allocated."
They cited a perceptive article by Daniel Taylor which spells out concerns which I share:

"In a report titled "The First Global Revolution" (1991) published by the Club of Rome, a globalist think tank, we find the following statement: "In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill.... All these dangers are caused by human intervention... The real enemy, then, is humanity itself"

Richard Haass, the current president of the Council on Foreign Relations, stated in his article 'State Sovereignty Must be Altered in Globalized Era,' that a system of world government must be created and sovereignty eliminated in order to fight global warming, as well as terrorism. 'Moreover, states must be prepared to cede some sovereignty to world bodies if the international system is to function,' says Haass. 'Globalization thus implies that sovereignty is not only becoming weaker in reality, but that it needs to become weaker. States would be wise to weaken sovereignty in order to protect themselves...'

Holocaust Or Hoax? - The Global
Warming Debate Heats Up By Leland Lehrman

Myrrh

quote:

quote:

Of course CO2 isn't behaving out of character. I've never said CO2 is behaving any different now than at any other time in history. Tell me where I've even suggested such an absurdity.

What I have said is that the cause of increased CO2 concentrations is different. It's now due to burning fossil fuels, rather than outgasing from oceans bringing CO2 from deep reservoirs.

? You've missed my point. You're saying CO2 is behaving out of character, I'm telling you are saying this, because you're saying it is now driving global warming, when never in our history has research ever shown it to do this.

So there are greater amounts of it from our use now? So what? Since it has never been shown to be a driver of global warming why should it be so now?

quote:

The same could be said about other aspects of the science. Even when you've raised questions it's been painfully obvious that you're not understanding. And, often it seems you're not even attempting to understand. That's why I've decided not to try and explain science to you, it's just not worth spending the time writing stuff that doesn't even seem to be read beyond the level of seeking something to hang another paranoid diatribe on.

If anyone else wants to try and understand the science better, just ask. I'll do my best to explain it. And, if someone does understand it and still has good reasons to not accept the conclusions I'll be interested to read those and think about them seriously.

You're welcome to ask him.

But since he is still unable to prove to me that CO2 drives global warming I would appreciate it if you asked him too..

For those interested in the facts of this, a bit of history.

The Medieval Warm Period existed.

From the last link:
quote:
The 2001 report asserts that the medieval warming period was fiction, and that its inclusion in 1996 was erroneous. However, the scientists at co2science.org have assembled a massive amount of data supporting the presence of the medieval warming period. The problem with the medieval warming period is that if it existed, then the industrial use of CO2 emitting fossil fuels cannot be considered the sole or even dominant cause of global warming.
It's because it existed in 1996 that the Hockey Stick was created, so it could be denied in 2001.

I posted before, Hiro, on the paragraph taken out of the orginal report which said there wasn't such a thing as AGW. That was before Mann and coterie took it over.

You make up your own minds which scientists to believe, and whether or not this is a conspiracy to cover up by the AGW scientists themselves because they've screwed up or because they are part of, or just being used, by bigger players on the world stage.

If, after this compilation and explanation, you dismiss this without giving it any thought, then it's not me who is not engaging in and doesn't understand the science.

Myrrh

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You're saying CO2 is behaving out of character

I'm NOT saying that. It doesn't help any discussion to put words into other peoples mouth, especially when they've been saying the exact opposite.

CO2 is CO2, it'll behave in the atmosphere the way it behaves. Which is, it absorbs IR (in defined energy ranges) and transfers that energy to the atmosphere where it is re-irradiated as black-body radiation. Hence, it (along with some other gases) increases IR absorption into the atmosphere, and raises air temperatures.

quote:
you're saying it is now driving global warming, when never in our history has research ever shown it to do this.
What I've said (on previous threads, I don't recall directly addressing it here) is that human activity is currently increasing the concentration of CO2 (and other greenhouses gases) in the atmosphere directly. In the records from ice cores etc we see CO2 concentrations changing in response to other influences (eg: outgasing of dissolved CO2 from warming oceans). In both cases CO2 does the same thing in the atmosphere - make the air warmer by absorbing IR radiation (see above).

CO2 drives global warming. It always has done (OK, the loss of CO2 from the atmosphere drives global cooling). The reasons why CO2 concentrations change in the atmosphere differ at different times in the history of the Earth.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:
You're saying CO2 is behaving out of character

I'm NOT saying that. It doesn't help any discussion to put words into other peoples mouth, especially when they've been saying the exact opposite.
? You are saying that CO2 drives global warming. CO2 is shown never to have done so in the past. Therefore, 'what you are actually saying is that CO2 is behaving uncharacteristically'.

I am asking you to explain why you make this uncharacteristic of CO2 claim for it.

quote:
CO2 is CO2, it'll behave in the atmosphere the way it behaves. Which is, it absorbs IR (in defined energy ranges) and transfers that energy to the atmosphere where it is re-irradiated as black-body radiation. Hence, it (along with some other gases) increases IR absorption into the atmosphere, and raises air temperatures.
That's it? How does that explain it being billed by AGW as the main driver of global temperature? To the point we're now getting 6% rise in temperature doom predictions?

Surely you can do better than this? If you a scientist and AGW supporter can give no logical science for CO2 driving temperature, neither in the past historic nor in actual method to prove it is capable of doing so, why are you arguing for AGW?

quote:
you're saying it is now driving global warming, when never in our history has research ever shown it to do this.
quote:
What I've said (on previous threads, I don't recall directly addressing it here) is that human activity is currently increasing the concentration of CO2 (and other greenhouses gases) in the atmosphere directly. In the records from ice cores etc we see CO2 concentrations changing in response to other influences (eg: outgasing of dissolved CO2 from warming oceans). In both cases CO2 does the same thing in the atmosphere - make the air warmer by absorbing IR radiation (see above).
So what if we're increasing CO2 now? What happens next? How does CO2 drive these massive temperature rises when it has not shown itself doing that in the past? It lags temperature rises by c.800 years. By the time it catches up temperatures have been dropping for c.800 years. Is this magic?

That as it follows the drop in temperature it somehow as it itself lessens in amount causes the next rise in temperature? 800 years later?

Then how can you say that greater amounts of it will cause greater rises in temperature?

I'm sorry Alan, it just doesn't make any sense.

quote:
CO2 drives global warming. It always has done (OK, the loss of CO2 from the atmosphere drives global cooling).
No it's not bloody OK.

It has not always done. It is shown to never have done.

quote:
The reasons why CO2 concentrations change in the atmosphere differ at different times in the history of the Earth.
I'm getting a bit pissed off with your arrogant condescension and ridicule here while never giving me a straight answer. How does CO2 drive global warming?

Myrrh

[ 28. November 2009, 07:26: Message edited by: Myrrh ]

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Myrrh

I am saying that your assertion of conspiracy demeans your arguments about the science. It adds nothing to those arguments but detracts from the credibility of your posts in so far as they comment about the science.

I don't think there is much to be gained from discussing whether you are a part (unwitting or otherwise) of an unproven global counter-conspiracy against this unproven global conspiracy.

Basically my considered answer to the OP is that the proposition advanced by Lord Monckton is a most unlikely conspiracy theory. Neither his scepticism about the science nor his previous involvement in government make such an assertion in the least likely. The evidence of the continuing behaviour of governments in support of their national interests, coupled with their weak co-operation over international matters, is impressive enough to rule it out - unless one has an a priori penchant for minority views and conspiracies. Monckton-like assertions simply scratch where some people itch. So I am very sceptical about that on the basis of non-scientific evidence (the long term, continuing and obvious behaviour of heads of government in the national self-interest). But I am not part of a counter-conspiracy of sceptics.

I'm going to leave any further discussion about the science to those with the necessary background.

--------------------

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Myrrh, I'm afraid the sheer volume of your postings makes it very difficult to keep up with. I'm afraid this doesn't mean that I agree with all of your previous statements [Smile] .

In the short time I have available, I'd just like to look in a bit of detail about a couple of the claims you made in your penultimate message.
quote:
posted by Myrrh:
Since water vapour is the bug bear of 'climate modelers', they don't include it in its own right but only as a 'feedback to enhance CO2 effects', which is balderdash, but actually AGM exclude because it is the highest, most dominant, greenhouse gas.

I don't like flat contradiction, but what you've posted here is just not true: water vapour is acknowledged as a greenhouse gas, and is included in climate models. Here is a climate scientist describing how his models treat water vapour. The "feedback" thing is because the hydrological cycle brings the water vapour in the earth's atmosphere back to equilibrium within days. Compare this with CO2, with has an atmospheric lifetime of decades to centuries, or CH4, which is decades. Your statement makes me think you misunderstand what they mean by feedback in this context - which I wasn't clear on until I looked it up.

Incidentally, H2O is a greenhouse gas for exactly the same reasons that CO2 is. Can I take it that you therefore acknowledge that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and therefore capable of warming the earth? I mention it as this has relevance to the question you asked Alan.

Please stop saying that climate scientists "ignore" water vapour. It's not true.

Now to this much vaunted "senate minority report" - which seems the creation of Senator Inhofe, who has outspoken views on the subject. The text itself is an extremely partisan document masquerading as a report, butwhat really worries me are sections like the one you quote:
quote:
from the Inhofe report:
"In August 2007, the UK Met Office was finally forced to concede the obvious: global warming has stopped. (LINK) The UK Met Office acknowledged the flat lining of global temperatures...

(emphasis mine).Now in the original document, that link goes to the website of the NZ Climate Science Coalition. As you can see by following that last link, the article makes no mention of the UK Met Office. Whether this amounts to misrepresenting your sources, or just a proofing error I'll leave it to you to decide. It is certainly misrepresenting the views of the Met Office!

In fact, the "Climate Science Coalition" referenced is a pressure group, not above fiddling the figures to further their political agenda. That's a bit of a long article, but worth reading to the end. The duplicity and mishandling of the data dwarves anything in the CRU leak. These are the people you'd have us uncritically believe? I should direct your scepticism a little more carefully!

A word to anyone who thinks the data has "flatlined" - this is not true. I have downloaded the data myself, and run rolling 11-year linear regressions on it, but really it's not necessary to do anything more than stick a moving average on it in Excel to show that an upward trend is clearly in place. It's a noisy data series and as such has spikes. Some are there for well-known reasons, such as el Nino in 1998. Even taking the period staring at 1998, the linear trend is still upwards: in fact the last linear 11 year trend that wasn't upwards was in the 1970s.

Anyone who doesn't understand that noisy data won't be monotonic (mathematical sense) should educate themselves or shut up: they have no business making misleading statements in the public sphere. At that level, making incorrect statements through wilful ignorance is tantamount to lying, IMHO.

About conspiracy theorists: I didn't make the allegation lightly, or as a cheap ad hominem (I hope). I meant that your post displayed the mindset where everything and everyone that disagrees with your views is treated with a huge degree of scepticism and suspicion, both as to the data and the motives of the people involved, but that everything that favours your worldview is taken uncritically, even when the credibility of the sources is questionable, and there may be conflicts of interest. How many of your sources are part of pressure groups which have received funding from the energy industry? Have you even looked into this? The money involved there is huge compared to government research grants...

- Chris.

--------------------

Dumpling Jeff
Shipmate
# 12766

- Posted      Profile for Dumpling Jeff   Email Dumpling Jeff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sanityman, the link you provide on how climate scientists model water vapor is the sort of science that makes me doubt the climate models. In it they look at "long wave radiation". They treat it as a single thing.

The truth is that the radiation exists across a spectrum. It behaves differently at different frequencies (wavelengths). One of these effects is that much more energy is contained in the higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths) where there is little absorption from CO2.

This is a technical point that I know from my work in radar design. It's not common knowledge across all fields of science. The point is that it's an easy and honest mistake to make. But it demolishes models which fail to take it into account.

How many other unrealized effects are there that the modelers missed? I don't know, and neither do they.

Rather than modeling, let's test. Lets build a satellite that measures the radiation the Earth is receiving and the radiation it's giving off. Subtract one from the other and you're done.

Such a satellite could give valuable information about what types of terrain/weather patterns are better at warming or cooling. We could then make smart, economical choices about the costs of mitigation instead of running around like Chicken Little.

But that would be a rational solution that would fly in the face of the IPCC's core mandate, to provide scientific evidence in support of it's pre-chosen policy.

Looking at the founding documents and governing structures of the climate change movement is difficult. There seems to be a labyrinth here. For example, the IPCC is directed to perform tasks set by the WMO executive council, UNEP governing council, and UN framework convention.

Those who don't toe the line are force to resign like Christopher Landsea. There's a philosophical question wether this is a bad thing. An organization needs to work together after all. Then there's the danger of group think.

The WMO has a congress of the participating countries (most countries participate), an executive committee, and executive president both elected by the congress. Alexander Bedritsky (Russian Federation) is the current president.

UNEP is run by it's executive director, Achim Steiner. Mr Steiner was born in Brazil, schooled at Oxford, and calls Germany his home while directing environmental projects across five continents. His position is apparently appointed by the UN Secretary General.

The UN framework convention is run by conferences of parties. These meet infrequently and appoint a Subsidiary Board of Scientific and Technological Advice which I assume sets tasks for the IPCC.

All in all it looks like bureaucracy gone wild. I have to assume that the typical amounts of graft are occurring. Do we really want to surrender our political will to such a hodgepodge?

It does sort of dismiss theories of a dark global conspiracy though. Or maybe the mind control ray got to me when I took off the tinfoil hat?

--------------------
"There merely seems to be something rather glib in defending the police without question one moment and calling the Crusades-- or war in general-- bad the next. The second may be an extension of the first." - Alogon

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
Myrrh

I am saying that your assertion of conspiracy demeans your arguments about the science. It adds nothing to those arguments but detracts from the credibility of your posts in so far as they comment about the science.

I obviously can't do anything right...

This thread is asking the question, Is "climate change" being used to bring in global Government?

The arguments I'm having about the science is within this question. I think yes to question. Whether those using the science to get control care whether the science is there or not I doubt very much, but that in using it they, whover 'they' are, would be keen to keep the momentum going if it is shown not to be there, I don't doubt.

I can't see any other obvious explanation for the top eschalons of major meteriological societies pushing for AGW while the majority of their members also familiar with the science scratch their heads wondering what the hell is happening.

quote:
I don't think there is much to be gained from discussing whether you are a part (unwitting or otherwise) of an unproven global counter-conspiracy against this unproven global conspiracy.

Basically my considered answer to the OP is that the proposition advanced by Lord Monckton is a most unlikely conspiracy theory. Neither his scepticism about the science nor his previous involvement in government make such an assertion in the least likely. The evidence of the continuing behaviour of governments in support of their national interests, coupled with their weak co-operation over international matters, is impressive enough to rule it out - unless one has an a priori penchant for minority views and conspiracies. Monckton-like assertions simply scratch where some people itch. So I am very sceptical about that on the basis of non-scientific evidence (the long term, continuing and obvious behaviour of heads of government in the national self-interest). But I am not part of a counter-conspiracy of sceptics.

Not even in existence when the stated aims of those proposing such control are know to exist? So you're dismissing such organisations as the Club of Rome as a figment of my imagination..?

There is certainly a move towards the idea of global government, how that includes or encompasses national self-interest is already stated by them to be that these should give up any idea of sovereignty thereby gaining protection for themselves. That this has been a project long in the planning and relentless in achieving objectives isn't in dispute, I think.

The European Union was planned to be that from the beginning, achieved by first creating an 'economic unity' which most people bought into, dismissing even if they ever heard the rumours at the time that this was only a step to the idea of the member countries giving up sovereignty to the greater idea of a European State. Look now. Every country signing the Lisbon Treaty has given up sovereignty.

Here in Ireland that was what we were arguing about. Why should Ireland sign away its sovereignty so recently gained after centuries of brutal rule by the British? Fear from the threat of economic isolation swung the vote the second time round. Britain itself has already signed away sovereignty. And none of us plebs have any idea who is now in control of us, who is setting the agendas and laws we must obey and to whom we will now begin paying direct taxes.

We have given up any idea of national interest to this greater idea to x who are not accountable to us in any way. They haven't taken us as anything but plebs to be manipulated for years now, no actual accounts produced for scrutiny even. If a company didn't produce such they would be done for fraud, but no one who gets 'sent to Europe' ever complains. Do you recall Kinnock's rants about this? Then he went to Europe and not a peep. How are all these people who should be presenting national interests sucked into it? The same way the head of associations like the meteriological? Of course there's a conspiracy, we the plebs haven't been groomed to know anything about it.

The opposite of that would be along the lines JohnPaul II proposed, from an argument back in RCC history, that individual countries should be given the same kind of rights as individuals under the UN Charter for Human Rights, that countries should have protection under these rights from interference from the others, from military and economic invasion and so on.

quote:
I'm going to leave any further discussion about the science to those with the necessary background.
There is no science, is all you need to know... [Smile]

Myrrh

Chris, not only to avoid making this another long post, will come back to this later this weekend.

M.

Inger
Shipmate
# 15285

- Posted      Profile for Inger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dumpling Jeff:

Those who don't toe the line are force to resign like Christopher Landsea.

I'm not sure why you say 'forced to resign'. Landsea chose to resign. I think the comment on this page puts his resignation in perspective:

quote:
1. Mr. Landsea maintained that the lead author of the IPCC reports should not voice any opinions on climate change issues. The IPCC refused to muzzle anybody; they have a "freedom of speech" policy.

[ 28. November 2009, 16:03: Message edited by: Inger ]

Posts: 332 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rather than modeling, let's test. Lets build a satellite that measures the radiation the Earth is receiving and the radiation it's giving off. Subtract one from the other and you're done.

Such a satellite could give valuable information about what types of terrain/weather patterns are better at warming or cooling. We could then make smart, economical choices about the costs of mitigation instead of running around like Chicken Little.

Yes, someone should tell scientists that satellites exist so they could do something like that. If only this idea had occurred to someone!

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We have given up any idea of national interest to this greater idea to x who are not accountable to us in any way.

<snip>

The opposite of that would be along the lines John Paul II proposed . . .

Is it just me, or do arguments about accountability in government ring just a little hollow when citing someone as completely unaccountable to his followers as the Pope?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
There seems to be a labyrinth here. For example, the IPCC is directed to perform tasks set by the WMO executive council, UNEP governing council, and UN framework convention.
[...]
All in all it looks like bureaucracy gone wild.

I think you exaggerate the role of the IPCC Jeff. As I understand it, they don't do much research themselves: they primarily gather and summarise the work done independently by other researchers.

The science would go on without the IPCC. The US, the UK, Germany, Norway, China, Australian etc all fund their own researchers. The IPCC simply attempts to reflect their collective opinions.

Full of Chips
Shipmate
# 13669

- Posted      Profile for Full of Chips   Email Full of Chips   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Take one bathroom and run a bath of cold water, put into bathroom small background heat source, open a window, close the door and pump in CO2 through the keyhole. How long do you think it will take to a) warm the bathroom b) warm the water, at 400 ppm relative to the amount of heat and conditions in said bathroom?
Well it is good to see Myrrh that you accept the idea that complex systems can be understood by much simpler models and small scale experimentation. However I am concerned that you do not explicitly mention the effects of water vapour which in my experience is a significant factor in any bathroom, particularly when it condenses on my shaving mirror.

Doubtless though, the global science community, if equipped with appropriately furnished bathrooms, would do a much better job on climate change modelling than they can ever hope to with their biased and inadequate computer models.

I am convinced that jealousy of you and the desire to obtain lavishly-equipped bathrooms for their climate experiments are what drive the global scientific AGW conspiracy.

Posts: 136 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sanityman, the link you provide on how climate scientists model water vapor is the sort of science that makes me doubt the climate models. In it they look at "long wave radiation". They treat it as a single thing.

What gives you the idea that the radiative transfer code in atmospheric models is that simple? If you'd like to read up on it, this Wikipedia page might be a good place to start.

quote:
The truth is that the radiation exists across a spectrum. It behaves differently at different frequencies (wavelengths). One of these effects is that much more energy is contained in the higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths) where there is little absorption from CO2.

This is a technical point that I know from my work in radar design. It's not common knowledge across all fields of science. The point is that it's an easy and honest mistake to make. But it demolishes models which fail to take it into account.

That absorption varies with frequency is NOT specialist knowledge. I learned it in A-level Chemistry. I expect there are one or two climate scientists who have an A-level in Chemistry. They will have warned the rest by now.

quote:
Great idea!

*wanders off muttering I wasn't going to get involved*

[ 28. November 2009, 16:56: Message edited by: rufiki ]

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

Whether those using the science to get control care whether the science is there or not I doubt very much, but that in using it they, whover 'they' are, would be keen to keep the momentum going if it is shown not to be there, I don't doubt.
[Italics mine - B62]

At this point, I give up, Myrrh. Convictions such as yours are way past the point of serious discussion.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

quote:
Originally posted by Full of Chips:
Doubtless though, the global science community, if equipped with appropriately furnished bathrooms, would do a much better job on climate change modelling than they can ever hope to with their biased and inadequate computer models.

Myrrh seems to miss the basic point that the atmosphere is thousands of times deeper than a typical bathroom.

The CO2-bathroom experimental community will need to build the Hadron Large Bathroom.

Full of Chips
Shipmate
# 13669

- Posted      Profile for Full of Chips   Email Full of Chips   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That will be the first job of the new supernational World Government! It all fits!!!
Posts: 136 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

quote:

Dmpling Jeff, thanks for your reply. I think it illustrates nicely a conundrum for specialists trying to communicate to those outside their field of knowledge. There's two choices available:
  • Communicate exactly, using the exact terminology and maths developed for that purpose. This is exact, but goes over most people's heads: thus they fail to communicate;
  • Simplify, paraphrase, use metaphors and regular English. You communicate, but by simplifying, you run the risk of being misunderstood, or or people taking the metaphors you employed to be what you actually believe[1]: thus, you fail to communicate.
Now, what you said is entirely correct (I presume you were referring to the Planck relationship between energy and frequency), but I think your assumption that the model is over-simplified because they used over-simplified language when trying to explain it is unwarranted. You're a specialist in radar design, which gives you technical knowledge that's not available to the layman,which is who the article was aimed at. I don't know if the model treats the radiation from the earth as a black-body curve, or if it does something more sophisticated, but as a non-scientific explanation, "short-wave radiation in, long-wave radiation out" is a reasonable first pass at what our planet does with solar radiation. I'm sure a proper scientist could give a more in-depth explanation if you're interested.

- Chris.

---
[1]Like describing the greenhouse effect as a "blanket" for example!

--------------------

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's too easy to dismiss something based on a misunderstanding. Myrrh does it all the time and quite erroneously believes it's all rubbish based on getting things confused.

In this case, I believe Jeff assumes long and short wave refer to a much wider range of values than is likely to be meant by someone considering only infrared.

The problem is whether we give the benefit of the doubt to someone who has no reason to lie or cheat, or start by unreasonably assuming they MUST be wrong (not saying this of you Jeff) and that therefore some misunderstanding is "yet another example of the kind of trickery these types get up to".

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dumpling Jeff
Shipmate
# 12766

Thank you sanityman. I think you're right and choosing proper language is a problem.

I was referring to the model you linked, and not all models. I assume more advanced models have more advanced treatment of radiation.

Looking at the frequency absorption patterns presented earlier, water vapor dominates at the high energy end of the black body curve. That's what makes me interested in seeing the radiation coming off the earth, not just the temperature as Croesos's link provided.

Thanks for getting involved Rufki. Your link to that NASA site is fascinating. It does seem to support the theory that hot deserts emit much more heat than wetter areas. If CO2 were the major factor, this would be less true, I think. I also noticed deserts with more irrigation (the American South West) output less heat.

I strongly suspect that wide scale irrigation is at least as important a factor in GW as CO2. I think it's effect is downplayed for political reasons.

In any case, I trust measurements much more than I trust models.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

It may be underplayed politically, but scientific outputs such as the IPCC Technical Reports spend a considerable amount of space to issues of changes in land use. Some of those changes, of course, have direct bearing on global greenhouse gas concentrations (eg: deforestation removing carbon sinks and often with associated burning). But others have no direct connection. Not only would that include extensive irrigation (produces local water vapour increases and changes the albido), but urbanisation and other changes in land use.

Part of the reason that they're downplayed politically is that if they don't significantly impact the global atmosphere then they're inherently local effects. They're also usually very difficult to fit into models of the global climate. Added to which, of course, is that some changes have different effects that might balance out to some extent - irrigation of deserts produces local water vapour increases, but also increases the land surface with plants and acts as a small CO2 sink; what's going to be more important the warming impact from albido and water vapour or the cooling from CO2 sequestration?

--------------------

Dumpling Jeff
Shipmate
# 12766

Alan, taking a ten thousand square mile block of land and reducing it's IR sink by 30% is going to leave more heat in the atmosphere on a global level. To call it local is IMO the same as calling a coal fired power plant local because all the burning takes place in the furnace.

It may be hard to model the varying effects of irrigation. (So does that mean you support my claim that the models are incomplete?) But radiation measurement is not impossible. Irrigated land does seem (at first glance of the linked map) to seriously reduce the IR sink of that land. Why abandon direct measurements for models?

To me the political difference is trying to sell the idea that growing more food is a bad thing. In countries where people starve, it's not going to sell.

The concentration on CO2 as opposed to other factors as causes does seem to support the theory that a global government is trying to acquire the property rights on air.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So does that mean you support my claim that the models are incomplete?

Of course they're incomplete: that's inherent in the fact that they're models and not the real thing. This is not a controversial point.

The question you need to be asking is "is there anything missing from the models that would mean the results they give would differ greatly from the real environment given the same initial conditions?"

Which is nowhere near as snappy, but much more informative - and it's something any scientist asks themselves when they model a complex system.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
I hope that persuades you Spawn that the climate modellers may have more of an idea of future developments in climate than you!

I hope you didn't waste too much valuable time writing your reflections on weather forecasting and climate modelling. They were a bit wasted because they didn't engage with what I've been saying. Climate modellers know much more about the climate than I do, but they're as bad as me at predicting the future.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This new figure from the state of art satellite data has thrown a spanner into the works from which there is no sensible way of recovering the momentum of 'CO2 driven global warming'.

In other words, not only were the models junk to start with because they excluded water vapour in its own right as a greenhouse gas, but they have blocked its existence out of their thinking completely. And then their state of the art machinery insists they take notice of it. What are those who are promoting AGM to do?

They manage to avoid all reference to water vapour's exclusion from calculations in their propaganda, but this is "their own data" and should have confirmed their 'assumptions', instead it's destroyed AGW.

So yes, it is a bloody obvious conspiracy to hide the facts, because this state of the art data gatherer which was working so well until it came up with this bomb shell is crashed, we've been told. No more data. Now, I haven't been able to find anything on this on their website, it is however still available as cached pages on an archive machine. So far they haven't blocked it, at least to the day I recovered it. (It's still up).

Some here no doubt will continue to find excuses for this, but I think this calls for a suspension of common sense beyond the rational because these years of promoting AGM have shown us a whole slew of such examples as this tampering of data. The latest emails in the long line of these.

The emperor still isn't wearing any clothes.

quote:
AIRS - the quintessential greenhouse gas sensor of our time

It comes as a surprise to many, but water vapor is the most dominant greenhouse gas in the Earth's atmosphere. It accounts for about 60% of the greenhouse effect of the global atmosphere, far exceeding the total combined effects of increased carbon dioxide, methane, ozone and other greenhouse gases. AIRS advanced technology makes it the most advanced water vapor sensor ever built. Beyond water vapor, AIRS measures all the other primary greenhouse gases including carbon dioxide, the largest source of anthropogenic greenhouse gas, carbon monoxide, methane, and ozone.
What is AIRS

So what we have Barnabas, is not science. As of the end 2008 this data is still not freely available.

It appears to be freely available to those able to figure out how to use a web browser. It took me less than 30 seconds to find the data page for the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS). Pretty crappy fact hiding, if you ask me. (You know, in the old days, NASA could fake moon landings. Moon landings, I tell you! Now they're reduced to hiding web pages from people who don't know their algorithms from their logarithms. How the mighty have fallen...)

Wherever did you get the idea that the Aqua satellite carrying AIRS had crashed, anyway?

And as for this:
quote:
I think this calls for a suspension of common sense beyond the rational
Far, far beyond, it appears.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dumpling Jeff
Shipmate
# 12766

Alan, the weather is complex in a mathematical sense of the word. In fact the butterfly effect is so named because even an uncounted butterfly's wing can throw predictions off in weather modeling.

Now you admit the models are weak in some areas. Are the missing parts less important than a single butterfly?

When I was in school twenty years ago, chaos theory was all the rage. I had professors sit in an air conditioned room and tell me that weather control and prediction was impossible with the same amount of conviction you are now telling me global warming is happening because weather models predict it.

I called bullshit then because they had misapplied the theory. Limited weather control is certainly possible, at least inside buildings.

Now you want me to ignore measurements in favor of numeric models where the math says there is no numeric solution. Or am I missing something?

The world of science sure did change during the last twenty years.

--------------------

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

ETA: x-posted with Dumpling Jeff - what measurements are you being asked to ignore? The weather/climate and chaos questions are good ones, but see what New Scientist has to say.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
It appears to be freely available to those able to figure out how to use a web browser. It took me less than 30 seconds to find the data page for the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS)

Intersting co-incidence: a page summarising data sources has been put up by the Cabal™ members at realClimate:
quote:
Much of the discussion in recent days has been motivated by the idea that climate science is somehow unfairly restricting access to raw data upon which scientific conclusions are based. This is a powerful meme and one that has clear resonance far beyond the people who are actually interested in analysing data themselves. However, many of the people raising this issue are not aware of what and how much data is actually available.
On a side-note, I noticed another article, by Peter Laut, emeritus professor of physics at The Technical University of Denmark, showing the bad science and misrepresentation in claims by two Copenhagen climatologists,Henrik Svensmark and Eigil Friis‐Christensen. These two are part of Inhofe's much vaunted "400 international scientists" in that senate minority report mentioned earlier (given that that list incorporated non-specialists, weathermen and shills for the energy industry, this may come as no surprise). Their 1996 paper (yes, that out of date) has been paraded by global warming sceptics seeking to "prove" that solar cycles were behind the warming trend. Unfortunately, their analysis was based on a short data sample, and was shown by subsequent observations (i.e. a larger data set) to be spurious; further details in the linked article.

I haven't heard people talking about solar cycles on this thread, but it's a good example of old, invalid papers being claimed to "disprove" the current understanding, which are then used in the popular media to sow doubt and confusion - for example, the infamous Channel 4 documentary.

- Chris.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Now you admit the models are weak in some areas. Are the missing parts less important than a single butterfly?

When designing an experiment to test an idea, one of the things you'll always need to try and consider is sensitivity to parameters. If, say you were trying to measure the rate of a chemical reaction with respect to temperature you'll need to find out whether the quality of reagants is a controlling factor - you're data are going to be meaningless if half way through you're experiment you open a new bottle of acid that's marginally less strong and find that it has a very large impact on the reaction rate.

The same is true when designing climate experiments. You run the experiment with each parameter constant except one that you vary slightly. That tells you what parameters you need to know most precisely, and help define uncertainties on the results of each experimental run.

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:

Whether those using the science to get control care whether the science is there or not I doubt very much, but that in using it they, whover 'they' are, would be keen to keep the momentum going if it is shown not to be there, I don't doubt.
[Italics mine - B62]

At this point, I give up, Myrrh. Convictions such as yours are way past the point of serious discussion.
Oh please, don't give up Barnabas!

How do you explain the following?

quote:
At 09:41 AM 2/2/2005, Phil Jones wrote:

Mike,
I presume congratulations are in order - so congrats etc !
Just sent loads of station data to Scott. Make sure he documents everything better this time ! And don't leave stuff lying around on ftp sites - you never know who is
trawling them. The two MMs have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I'll delete the file rather than send to anyone. Does your similar act in the US force you to respond to enquiries within 20 days? - our does ! The UK works on precedents, so the first request will test it. We also have a data protection act, which I will hide behind. Tom Wigley has sent me a worried email when he heard about it - thought people could ask him for his model code. He has retired officially from UEA so he can hide behind that. IPR should be relevant here, but I can see me getting into an argument with someone at UEA who'll say we must adhere to it !

Let's take this back to the beginning of the corruption of the IPCC because I take this discussion seriously.

IPCC history

Page 299 which is page 3 or 31 in this extract pdf file.

So why should I believe there is anything real about the AGW science when it's certainly clear to me if not others that there is fraudulent practice masquerading as science here? The IPCC was nobbled.

In 1985, when this great scaremongering campaign was still being formulated, we had results like this:

quote:
B.Idsol

B. Idso1

(1) Department of Agriculture, U.S. Water Conservation Laboratory, 4331 East Broadway Road, Phoenix, 85040, AZ, USA

Received: 30 January 1984

Summary Several natural experiments are analyzed to yield equilibrium values of a surface air temperature response function and a feedback factor for Earths atmosphere. The former parameter, the change in surface air temperature induced by a change in radiant energy absorbed at the surface, is demonstrated to have a value of about 0.1 K (Wm–2)–1; while the latter parameter, the ratio of feedback-induced change in radiant energy to the surface of the Earth divided by an initial or primary change in radiant energy to the Earths surface, is demonstrated to have a value of about 1.25. These two numbers imply that the maximum warming to be expected from a doubling of Earths atmospheric CO2 concentration from 300 to 600 ppm is only about 0.1 K, a result so small as to possibly be completely counter-balanced by the CO2-induced reduction of solar radiation transmission to the Earths surface.

It was the like of this which first informed the IPCC to say there was no problem of AGW, but the paragraph was removed in subsequent reports.

Why should I believe any of the AGW arguments when they still cannot explain how CO2 is a driving force of global warming when it has never been that in the past?

Why should I not rather look to see who is producing this corrupt data and why?

Since the scientific method is testing and observation and testing and observation has proved that it is corrupt and cannot be called science?

In science if a hypothesis is falsified, by contradictory data for example, the hypothesis is no more, it is dead hypothesis.

What else is there to discuss about it except, who done it and why?

Myrrh

quote:

quote:
posted by Myrrh:

I don't like flat contradiction, but what you've posted here is just not true: water vapour is acknowledged as a greenhouse gas, and is included in climate models. Here is a climate scientist describing how his models treat water vapour. The "feedback" thing is because the hydrological cycle brings the water vapour in the earth's atmosphere back to equilibrium within days. Compare this with CO2, with has an atmospheric lifetime of decades to centuries, or CH4, which is decades. Your statement makes me think you misunderstand what they mean by feedback in this context - which I wasn't clear on until I looked it up.

Incidentally, H2O is a greenhouse gas for exactly the same reasons that CO2 is. Can I take it that you therefore acknowledge that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and therefore capable of warming the earth? I mention it as this has relevance to the question you asked Alan.

Please stop saying that climate scientists "ignore" water vapour. It's not true.

?! What you've just posted confirms it's true. It's telling you the models don't include water vapour as a greenhouse gas! If water vapour isn't, why is CO2?

This is what I've been trying to point out.

I'm having problems with my computer and lost my reply to you.

But on thinking about it, and the other posts following, I've decided this is all pretty much a waste of time on my part. My reason for quitting such discussions before was the frustration of having exchanges about this with people who made excuses for dishonesty in science. Before, it was always dismissed as 'hearsay' or some such or simply ignored, but even now with the main culprits condemning themselves, not one of you has stopped to think what this actually means. Instead you keep referring to sources party to the deception as if there is no problem with them.

Fine, let noise stand for whatever doesn't correspond to any computer model prediction and CO2 stand for any dramatic rise in temperature like El Nino which the majority can be conned into believing is the hottest year because of CO2.

Find the AIRS data, let's see it.

Where's the data you downloaded? Let's see it. I haven't been able to find it online. The page is missing as far as I can tell.

I'm going to post one last example of this con and if you still think that whatever data you receive from your sources should be accepted uncritically then there is not the slightest reason for me to think any of you here are capable of objective thinking about this.

icecap.us

quote:
Nov 25, 2009
Are we feeling warmer yet?
Study by New Zealand Climate Science Coalition

There have been strident claims that New Zealand is warming. The Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), among other organisations and scientists, allege that, along with the rest of the world, we have been heating up for over 100 years.

But now, a simple check of publicly-available information proves these claims wrong. In fact, New Zealand’s temperature has been remarkably stable for a century and a half. So what’s going on?

Now, look at the graphs, and note particularly how the falsified one came into existence.

quote:
Dr Jim Salinger (who no longer works for NIWA) started this graph in the 1980s when he was at CRU (Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, UK) and it has been updated with the most recent data. It’s published on NIWA’s website and in their climate-related publications.
East Anglia again. And look how long ago the process of duplicity began.

That you can take any of these people seriously as scientists after their own emails shows how corrupt they are in fixing data and the admitted machinations they will employ to avoid providing raw data and methods and excluding any who would examine them, is quite simply beyond belief. That you think this is science is very sad. Especially for science.

And you're still not able to show me how CO2 drives warming.

What are the properties of CO2?

Myrrh

--------------------
and thanks for all the fish

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

A question was asked earlier (I think by Dumpling Jeff, but I'm not seeing the actual post) about why political agreements tend to concentrate on CO2 emissions rather than land use changes and other impacts on the environment.

As already said, certainly one reason is that land use changes for reasons that usually directly benefit people - to provide more farmland for food, more housing for them to live in, more factories and offices for them to work in etc. Which makes any action on such activities politically unattractive. Not that that prevents the need for environmental impact statements and the like to be included in the planning process for the approvals of new building - which, in the EU at least would include an estimate of the carbon footprint.

But, probably the main reason is that CO2 (and methane etc) behave in a very simple manner that can be easily modelled. Which relates to my previous post about the uncertainties in climate experiments. Increase atmospheric CO2 concentrations and you increase IR absorption in a precisely predictable manner. Admittedly, the impact of that increased IR absorption is more complex. On the other hand, land use changes are inherently more complex with less well defined parameters within the models. Some, such as forestry changes, have direct impact on atmospheric CO2 concentrations and can thus be modelled as sources/sinks of CO2 (with other factors such as albido secondary). Also, most CO2 production can be easily measured - if you know how much coal your power stations burn then you can have a good estimate of how much CO2 they produce. That makes CO2 emissions a convenient starting point for international agreements on climate change.

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

quote:
quote:
One of the foundational components of the scientific method is the idea of reproducibility (Popper 1959). In order for an experiment to be considered valid it must be replicated. This process begins with the scientists who originally performed the experiment publishing the details of the experiment. This description of the experiment is then read by another group of scientists who carry out the experiment, and ascertain whether the results of the new experiment are similar to the original experiment. If the results are similar enough then the experiment has been replicated. This process validates the fact that the experiment was not dependent on local conditions, and that the written description of the experiment satisfactorily records the knowledge gained through the experiment. From Rand and Wilensky 2006
Guest post by Willis Eschenbach – originally posted on Omniclimate with an updated version here per Willis’ request.

UPDATED 11/24/09 8:30PM PST

People seem to be missing the real issue in the CRU emails. ...To me, the main issue is the frontal attack on the heart of science, which is transparency.

Science works by one person making a claim, and backing it up with the data and methods that they used to make the claim. Other scientists then attack the claim by (among other things) trying to replicate the first scientist’s work. If they can’t replicate it, it doesn’t stand. So blocking the FOIA allowed Phil Jones to claim that his temperature record (HadCRUT3) was valid science.

This is not just trivial gamesmanship, this is central to the very idea of scientific inquiry. This is an attack on the heart of science, by keeping people who disagree with you from ever checking your work and seeing if your math is correct.

As far as I know, I am the person who made the original Freedom Of Information Act to CRU that started getting all this stirred up. I was trying to get access to the taxpayer funded raw data out of which they built the global temperature record. I was not representing anybody, or trying to prove a point. I am not funded by Mobil, I’m an amateur scientist with a lifelong interest in the weather and climate. I’m not “directed” by anyone, I’m not a member of a right-wing conspiracy. I’m just a guy trying to move science forwards.

OK, so far we have a couple of scientists discussing issues in a scientific work, no problem. But as he found more inconsistencies, in order to understand what was going on, in 2005 Warwick asked Phil for the dataset that was used to create the CRU temperature record. Phil Jones famously replied: ......

The Scientific Method

Chris - this is the man who first filed to see the raw data via the FOI act, unless anyone knows of an earlier one.

Is this what you found?

Myrrh

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  22  23  24 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016