homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The Archbishop of Canterbury and Richard Dawkins (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The Archbishop of Canterbury and Richard Dawkins
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Absolute rubbish!

The more we study the more beautiful and complex the creation of God appears!

The more beautiful and complex the universe appears, granted. But if it were to appear more like the Creation of God, then the more scientific knowledge advances the greater the proportion of believers there would be. And the more deeply someone was embeded in science the more likely it would be that they were a believer.

Unfortunately neither is true. The more we know, the fewer places we see God as a group, and the more someone studies the world the less likely they are to be a theist.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry to do the "a plague on both your houses" thing, but for either Christians or atheists to say the universe is "beautiful" is nonsense. To a Christian, the universe is fallen. To an atheist, the perception of beauty is merely a chemical in my head going "fizz", nothing more.

In fact, now I think of it, the whole discussion of evil/Evil on the previous page comes down to the same thing: "evil" happens when a chemical in somebody's head goes "fizz". And since any human being is merely a bag of chemicals, to get angry at evil is just one chemical going "fizz" in response to another chemical going "fizz".

All rather pointless, really, isn't it?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
quote:
Absolute rubbish!

The more beautiful and complex the universe appears, granted. But if it were to appear more like the Creation of God, then the more scientific knowledge advances the greater the proportion of believers there would be. And the more deeply someone was embeded in science the more likely it would be that they were a believer.

Unfortunately neither is true. The more we know, the fewer places we see God as a group, and the more someone studies the world the less likely they are to be a theist.

If I were God and I created the universe, I would sign it so people could easily tell that I created it. Since there is no such signature, clearly there cannot be a creator. [Disappointed]

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
If I were God and I created the universe, I would sign it so people could easily tell that I created it. Since there is no such signature, clearly there cannot be a creator. [Disappointed]

Or, maybe, God really is a surgeon -- and His signature is just unreadable...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Absolute rubbish!

[Roll Eyes] Try engaging with the argument. It is not proven that there is no Creator. Merely extremely likely that if there is a Creator, that Creator does not want to be known. If the Creator is making itself as hidden as possible, I don't see much reason to worship it against the wishes expressed. And if there is no Creator then that is entirely consistent with matters too and there's no reason to worship.

--------------------

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Such statements always remind me of Oolon Coluphid and his argument that the Babel fish was the ultimate proof for the non-existence of God (for instance here).

More seriously, what do you think such a signature would be like?

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes] Try engaging with the argument. It is not proven that there is no Creator. Merely extremely likely that if there is a Creator, that Creator does not want to be known. If the Creator is making itself as hidden as possible, I don't see much reason to worship it against the wishes expressed. And if there is no Creator then that is entirely consistent with matters too and there's no reason to worship.
I'm not particularly interested in arguing about evidence for God (or lack thereof), but I am interested in how you are arguing about it. Your logic is fine (although I'd modify it a bit to say that the Creator does not want to be known by means of empirical observations), but you seem to be using it to reach a predetermined conclusion, particularly from the deductions you make about what God's wishes must be. I have no problem with you doing that, and I admit to constructing arguments to reach a predetermined conclusion myself as well, but I hope you realize that the rhetorical effect is less than impressive.

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
More seriously, what do you think such a signature would be like?

To paraphrase a "Swedenborgian" lecturer I heard, God's signature would be in the angle of carbon bonds. Or to put it another way, work by Stephen Wolfram shows how incredibly complex patterns can be produced by repeated application of relatively trivial rules. God's signature for the universe would be the rules that he chose to base it on, namely the basic laws of physics and the particular values of the relevant constants that determine the precise nature of the universe that we observe. Of course, such a signature would only persuade those of us already inclined to see it as a signature.

--------------------

Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I'm sorry to do the "a plague on both your houses" thing, but for either Christians or atheists to say the universe is "beautiful" is nonsense. To a Christian, the universe is fallen. To an atheist, the perception of beauty is merely a chemical in my head going "fizz", nothing more.

In fact, now I think of it, the whole discussion of evil/Evil on the previous page comes down to the same thing: "evil" happens when a chemical in somebody's head goes "fizz". And since any human being is merely a bag of chemicals, to get angry at evil is just one chemical going "fizz" in response to another chemical going "fizz".

All rather pointless, really, isn't it?

As someone who paints, thinks and campaigns - you do believe in the reality of beauty (in whatever form your aesthetics allow) and in morality and therefore evil ....

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Adeodatus: To a Christian, the universe is fallen.
To all Christians? It isn't to me.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Absolute rubbish!

I would consider humanity - made in God's image - as being his signature. Not even artists, incidentally, always signed off on their work. Not sure why you think the Almighty should!

Sign me up as another Christian who sees the creation as imperfect but at times incredibly beautiful. I'd rather die in a hole in the ground, if I couldn't find something beautiful about the creation.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twangist:
As someone who paints, thinks and campaigns - you do believe in the reality of beauty (in whatever form your aesthetics allow) and in morality and therefore evil ....

I was taking a bit of a swipe at the atheist position in that post, but actually I'm not sure I do believe in all that stuff. It depends a bit on what you mean by the reality of beauty, etc. I believe in beauty as a set of conventions, a perception, a construction. And I'm deeply interested in its perception, construction and communication. But I'm not sure about that word "reality".

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The more beautiful and complex the universe appears, granted. But if it were to appear more like the Creation of God,

What do you mean more like? It is the creation of God. How can it be more like the Creation of God?

quote:
then the more scientific knowledge advances the greater the proportion of believers there would be.

Not necessarily as W Hyatt has pointed out. Depends often what your prejudices are when you look at the evidence.

quote:

More rubbish.

Francis Collins - Head of the Genome Project - was an atheist. He was converted by his work. He is now a theist.

Off the top of my head I can think of two other scientists that were atheists but are now priests. Keith Ward and Alister McGrath.

I'm sure there are plenty of others that become more convinced after their scientific studies.

It is more logical to posit a creator than deem the world a random accident after all.

The great Francis Bacon has a lovely quote on this.

quote:
A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion.

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm sorry to do the "a plague on both your houses" thing, but for either Christians or atheists to say the universe is "beautiful" is nonsense. To a Christian, the universe is fallen.

A plague on your house too.

To say the universe is fallen is gnostic heresy.

quote:
God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good. Gen 1:31

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
quote:
The more beautiful and complex the universe appears, granted. But if it were to appear more like the Creation of God,

What do you mean more like? It is the creation of God. How can it be more like the Creation of God?
Then we can say it is likely God is uninterested.

quote:
quote:

More rubbish.

Francis Collins - Head of the Genome Project - was an atheist. He was converted by his work. He is now a theist.

Off the top of my head I can think of two other scientists that were atheists but are now priests. Keith Ward and Alister McGrath.

Your point? Three people - as against the 72% survey I mentioned of Naturalists, with the majority of the rest leaning deist rather than theist. Scientists are more atheistic than the general population, period.

quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of others that become more convinced after their scientific studies.
Three swallows do not make a summer. There will be conversions. Both ways. You've mentioned few enough names to count on the fingers of one hand.

quote:
It is more logical to posit a creator than deem the world a random accident after all.
The definition of insanity is to repeat the same action and expect different results. Given everywhere the Creator has been predicted to be and hasn't been found it's no longer that logical. And the scientists that posit a Creator lean Deist, not Theist. They as a rule posit a Creator who doesn't interfere or do much that is now relevant.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:

quote:

It's just possible that events have moved on since Genesis 1.31.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

Good and fallen need not be mutually exclusive either.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

- Posted      Profile for Ramarius         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Absolute rubbish!

But if you're right, someone who is "embedded in science" and a believer would have to be intellectually dishonest. Evensong's argument is a strong one that scientist see the fingerprint of God in creation *through their science* as opposed to imposing a predetermined belief on their studies.

You're also making a profound mistake in suggesting that the results of scientific study *alone* would convince people to be theists. Belief in a God who has designed and intervened in the universe has personal and practical consequences.

As we all know.

--------------------
'

Posts: 950 | From: Virtually anywhere | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
Originally posted by Ramarius:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I don't think that evolution even appears to be random. However, it is unplanned.

Not random, not planned - what's the other alternative?
Yo Quetzalcoatl. You might have missed this earlier. What did you have in mind?
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:

quote:

[Confused]

Are you confusing the universe with humanity?

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Given everywhere the Creator has been predicted to be and hasn't been found it's no longer that logical.

You believe the Creator hasn't been found.

I believe the Creator is found partly in creation.

Still can't see the difference and why science and religion are not mutually exclusive?

quote:
The definition of insanity is to repeat the same action and expect different results.

Quite so. You and I keep repeating the same arguments without getting anywhere.

I suppose that makes us both insane. [Biased]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't think that evolution even appears to be random. However, it is unplanned.

I don't get your question. Evolution is unplanned; it is also not random. I said that this is a problem for theism, since this must assume some sort of teleology.

This may not be insuperable, since it may be possible to bring together the unplanned nature of evolution with the directedness of God in some way, and possibly palaeontologists such as Prof. Conway Morris will find a solution to this. An obvious solution is to say that God permits things to be unplanned, but this seems rather ad hoc.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
@Justinian. Oddly enough, the Bayesian approach has been used to hypothesise that it's more likely that God exists than that he doesn't.

But as your link points out, this is just one of a number of approaches to statistical modelling.

And it doesn't deal with the central point. You can debate statistical models. You can't argue with the multiple and interdependent examples of the precision of the cosmological constants necessary to produce a life-permitting universe.

Your best alternative to a creator seems to be multiverses - a metaphysical approach if there was one.

As a matter of interest, here's another
example of Bayesian theorem to argue that cosmic fine tuning is more probable on the basis of theism.

Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't get your question. Evolution is unplanned; it is also not random. I said that this is a problem for theism, since this must assume some sort of teleology.

You've defined evolution in terms of two negates. It's not a), it's not b) - which leaves open other possibilities. But unless you say what those possibilities are, it's not possible to make a judgement as to whether they are more or less likely than the two possibilities you've negated. So I guess I'm trying to work out what your positive description of evolution is. It didn't come about by planning, or by random processes, so it came about....how?

Hope that's a bit clearer.

--------------------
'

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evolution works via mutation (variation), selection, and inheritance.

Normally, genetic mutation is described as random, and selection as governed by the environment, hence not random, but a full description would become much more complex, and would include factors such as genetic drift.

However, from the point of view of theism, the big problem is that evolution operates in an unplanned manner. Can this be reconciled with the directedness or teleology of God? I don't know.

--------------------

Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

- Posted      Profile for Ikkyu   Email Ikkyu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those about to argue in favor of "planned evolution" please include in your explanation something about the ichneumon wasp the aids virus and tapeworms while you are at it.
Posts: 434 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Ikkyu:
Those about to argue in favor of "planned evolution" please include in your explanation something about the ichneumon wasp the aids virus and tapeworms while you are at it.

Oh but I thought evolution was the God of Atheism.

Are you saying it is not?

Are you saying atheists have no answer to such questions? [Eek!]

Outrageous!

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
quote:
Given everywhere the Creator has been predicted to be and hasn't been found it's no longer that logical.

You believe the Creator hasn't been found.

I believe the Creator is found partly in creation.

Still can't see the difference and why science and religion are not mutually exclusive?

You just aren't getting it are you?

Science and religion are not mutually exclusive. What the are is in tension. The traits work against each other like a short professional basketball player. Muggsy Bogues was both 5'3" tall and spent four years as a pro in the NBA - but this doesn't mean that the professional basketball circuit is anything other than dominated by tall people.

The history of people studying the world to get a better look at the handiwork of God is a long and honourable one.

On the other hand the further we've looked the less obvious an apparent God has been to the point where rather than looking for the Flood we've had to declare him outside the universe.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

No. You just don't get it. [Razz]

Science and religion are not in tension.

For some, the further we look the more we see God's handiwork.

For others, they will see nothing at all of God the further they look. They'll just get more awed and excited but attribute it to chance or nothing.

[ 18. March 2012, 13:51: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Justinian said:

On the other hand the further we've looked the less obvious an apparent God has been to the point where rather than looking for the Flood we've had to declare him outside the universe.

Eh? It was Aristotle who said that, wasn't it? And classical theism continued with that theme, since if the cause of the universe is within it, then it is presumably natural.

It's not really outside in any case, since 'outside' still presupposes spacetime, which classical theism usually says is created by God.

I suppose some panentheists argue that the universe is inside God, but I'm not quite sure what 'inside' means here.

--------------------

Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

- Posted      Profile for Ikkyu   Email Ikkyu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh but I thought evolution was the God of Atheism.

Are you saying it is not?

Of course it is not. I'm just saying that
something like the Ichneumon Wasp is perfectly consistent with Evolution being unplanned since
parasites just fill a niche in the ecosystem.
But if you want to defend evolution as a planned
event with everything in its predetermined place
by a designer. Parasites and deadly diseases are a
bit harder to explain.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
But if you're right, someone who is "embedded in science" and a believer would have to be intellectually dishonest.

Why?

quote:
Evensong's argument is a strong one that scientist see the fingerprint of God in creation *through their science* as opposed to imposing a predetermined belief on their studies.
Evensong's argument is in a vacuum. I know some religious scientists. I know some atheist scientists.

quote:
You're also making a profound mistake in suggesting that the results of scientific study *alone* would convince people to be theists. Belief in a God who has designed and intervened in the universe has personal and practical consequences.

As we all know.

Oh, it has personal and practical consequences. One of the practical consequences of a God who intervenes in the universe is that the interventions God makes are measurable. And once that is the case, science can approach it. At that point NOMA falls apart. Science might not reach outside the universe yet - but can reach inside it quite happily.

--------------------

Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:

Normally, genetic mutation is described as random, and selection as governed by the environment, hence not random, but a full description would become much more complex, and would include factors such as genetic drift.

However, from the point of view of theism, the big problem is that evolution operates in an unplanned manner. Can this be reconciled with the directedness or teleology of God? I don't know.

OK I'm with you now. You're talking about evolution in two senses. Micro evolution, or in-species selection is clearly governed by measurable factors. Certainly that's not random. But macro-evolution, mutation of once species into another is a different matter altogether. You seem to be saying that macro evolution *is* random.

--------------------
'

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One of the practical consequences of a God who intervenes in the universe is that the interventions God makes are measurable.

No it isn't. Not at all. In fact the opposite.

quote:

OK I'm with you now. You're talking about evolution in two senses. Micro evolution, or in-species selection is clearly governed by measurable factors. Certainly that's not random. But macro-evolution, mutation of once species into another is a different matter altogether. You seem to be saying that macro evolution *is* random.

I'm not sure he's saying that at all. And if he was it's be wrong. Selection is not random (by definition).

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually he isn't. There is no difference between the two types except the time needed for two populations to become unable to interbreed. Evolution is unplanned but not random.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

No. Wrong again. There is no difference between micro and macro, except that the latter involves long periods of time. (Thus, macro is the sum or accumulation of long periods of micro). Evolution is unplanned but not random. Since it is unplanned, this seems to contradict the idea of God as somehow purposive or with a plan. Is there a solution? Don't know.

Are you a creationist? They go on about micro and macro, but generally they don't know what they are talking about.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
One of the practical consequences of a God who intervenes in the universe is that the interventions God makes are measurable.

No it isn't. Not at all. In fact the opposite.
The consequence of intervening is that it looks like God hasn't done anything? That is what you are saying?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The consequence of intervening is that it looks like God hasn't done anything?

If God is the eternal and omnipotent creator of the universe, of course. Unless God chooses to be visible that is. The whole thing is God's action, not just little parts of it.

--------------------
Ken

Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
quote:
quote:

No. Wrong again. There is no difference between micro and macro, except that the latter involves long periods of time. (Thus, macro is the sum or accumulation of long periods of micro). Evolution is unplanned but not random. Since it is unplanned, this seems to contradict the idea of God as somehow purposive or with a plan. Is there a solution? Don't know.

Are you a creationist? They go on about micro and macro, but generally they don't know what they are talking about.

No, I'm right on this one. The difference between micro and macro evolution is, roughly speaking, the difference between applying the theory either below (micro) or beyond (macro) species level. And the debate about how this might take place is a vigorous one. M.T Kinnison, (An introduction to microevolution: rate, patter, process, Genetica 112-113, 2001, 1-8) puts it like this: 'Evolution is often considered in two categories: microevolution and macroevolution. The former obviously implies a small amount of change and the latter a large amount. The difficulty comes in deciding where the boundary between the two should fall, whether or not they represent the same process (acting over different timescales), and whether or not the dichotomy is useful or valid.... Are macroevolutionary events (large morphological changes or speciation) simply the cumulative outcome of microevolutionary mechanisms (micro mutation, selection, gene flow, genetic drift) or does macroevolution require some qualitatively different mechanism? The history of this debate is long, convoluted, and sometimes acrimonious.'

So the gradualist approach that you referred to is one side of a highly energetic scientific debate. The question of how evolution at the species level could have come about is far from settled.

Your bold statement that evolution is 'unplanned but not random' assumes one position and confuses the two. Microevolution certainly is not random, and it's not contentious. But the debate about macroevolution is more complicated. Certainly theistic evolutionists have no problem at all in affirming that evolution is a planned process. The suggestion that evolution poses a problem to arguments for the existence of God is a simply category error. Evolution is a process. God is the designer and initiator of processes. The suggested conflict between the two is simply false.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Ramarius wrote:

Certainly theistic evolutionists have no problem at all in affirming that evolution is a planned process. The suggestion that evolution poses a problem to arguments for the existence of God is a simply category error. Evolution is a process. God is the designer and initiator of processes. The suggested conflict between the two is simply false.

Of course you can affirm this. But do you have an actual argument for it?

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
The whole thing is God's action, not just little parts of it.

Justinian doesn't understand Christians that aren't God of the Gaps proponents ken.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Certainly theistic evolutionists have no problem at all in affirming that evolution is a planned process.

I don't see why any believer in a god has to affirm that evolution is planned. Are the effects of gravity planned? How about continental drift; did God specifically intend for the continents to be as they are? What's the problem with believing that God set up the initial conditions and now (mostly) leaves them to run their course?

I'm worried by the implication that God intends things like the evolution of viruses, or the occurrence of earthquakes and other natural disasters. But I don't see how you can avoid implying this if you hold that God intends the specific results of natural processes like evolution.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

That was my point. If you believe in "planned" evolution you believe God "planned" Lupus or Yersinia pestis. This of course implies nothing about a Deist non-interventionist God.
But why would an Interventionist God who plans everything not do anything in cases like this?

Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
Originally posted by Ikkyu:
That was my point. If you believe in "planned" evolution you believe God "planned" Lupus or Yersinia pestis. This of course implies nothing about a Deist non-interventionist God.
But why would an Interventionist God who plans everything not do anything in cases like this?

And it's a very good question. It's also a different question, taking us into the various shades of the doctrine of providence.
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ramarius
quote:
But macro-evolution, mutation of once species into another is a different matter altogether.
One species does not mutate into another; new species evolve from a common ancestor.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Ramarius
quote:
But macro-evolution, mutation of once species into another is a different matter altogether.
One species does not mutate into another; new species evolve from a common ancestor.
Yep. Exactly right. Separation of species is (usually) a process that takes time and space, not a single event in ecological time - though it might look like a single event in evolutionary time.

(My inner pedant wants to point out that in a strict sense speciation can occur in a single mutation when chromosome rearrangements such as polyploidy render onme individual unable to mate successfully with its siblings or parents - this seems to have happened quite often in the history of plants, though nowhere near as often in animals - but I hestitate to say that becaus those with the strange inner compulsion to consider that there is some worth in YEC will almost certainly misread it as supporting silly salatational theories... and also it doesn't fit with the popular idea of speciation because the new "species" is likely to be all but identical to the old one if you want to be confused do an online search for the taxonomy of agamospecies of Limonium [sea lavender])

--------------------
Ken

Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Ramarius
quote:
Yep. Exactly right. Separation of species is (usually) a process that takes time and space, not a single event in ecological time - though it might look like a single event in evolutionary time.

(My inner pedant wants to point out that in a strict sense speciation can occur in a single mutation when chromosome rearrangements such as polyploidy render onme individual unable to mate successfully with its siblings or parents - this seems to have happened quite often in the history of plants, though nowhere near as often in animals - but I hestitate to say that becaus those with the strange inner compulsion to consider that there is some worth in YEC will almost certainly misread it as supporting silly salatational theories... and also it doesn't fit with the popular idea of speciation because the new "species" is likely to be all but identical to the old one if you want to be confused do an online search for the taxonomy of agamospecies of Limonium [sea lavender])

Don't know if we're just haggling over semantics, but on mutation and evolution see
here.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
quote:
The whole thing is God's action, not just little parts of it.

Justinian doesn't understand Christians that aren't God of the Gaps proponents ken.
Yes I do. However you are a God of the Gaps proponent.

Ken would appear to be indistinguishable from a panenthesit based on what he's writing.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Yes I do. However you are a God of the Gaps proponent.

In your dreams buddy.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

quote:

And it's a very good question. It's also a different question, taking us into the various shades of the doctrine of providence.

Why is it a different question? Why are the results of such "Planning" not involved when deciding whether or not there was planning involved?
Are you saying the "Providence" of God gave a friend of mine an incurable hereditary disease that has killed already all tree of her sisters and their mother ?(Lupus)
If you accept evolution is not guided this is much easier to explain. Since human beings are not the result of planning, hereditary autoimmune diseases and other "imperfections" are easier to accept because they were not put there
deliberately by central planning.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016